Type keyword(s) to search

S02: Week 5: September 20, 2020-September 26, 2020

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Just an FYI, Chargers/Chiefs game is running LATE on CBS so everything is going to be pushed back if your local market is showing the game.  Same thing happened last week with certain markets not getting Love Island at 9pm/8pm.

Game just went to overtime so Love Island is really going to be late.  

Edited by CindyBee

Poor fans on Twitter are loosing their minds over the 50 min delay.  Guess all those years of watching The Amazing Race on Sunday nights on CBS comes in handy as i never expect CBS shows on Sunday night to start on time during football season.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Noah didn't even get the "he had to leave for personal reasons" explanation of him not being on the show anymore.    Guess CBS figures most won't even remember him.

I hope Laurel does chat up BSB as Carrington needs to sweat a little bit.

• Love 2

Connor always seems to be responding to a question that isn’t being asked rather than to the actual question asked. Actually, other than maybe Caleb and Justine I feel like everyone is pretty horrible at communicating. 

I’ve never seen a season of LI go this far into a season with so few people connecting. None of these relationships seem strong. Usually by now there should be some committed relationships 

• Love 2

Yeah Noah just... disappeared... they were doing the night-check and he's not in the list of people shown in bed. Ghosted!!! 

And yeah, I too was just thinking about what a blown up trainwreck the "couples" have been this year. How many "let's just be freinds" convos have we seen? It's like a daily occurrence this season!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I love how Laurel doesn’t see any red flags from Carrington when he says they won’t be bf/gf, but two random people on Twitter say she and BSB should get together and Carrington is shallow and suddenly that’s all she can talk about. Is this really how young people make life decisions? I weep for our future 😞

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, CindyBee said:

I don't think the twitter challenge has ever changed the course of what's happening more than this one--now we have Laurel giving BSB a chance.  That is soooo random!

Wish someone would give Bennie a makeover.  

It’s interesting, the fan participation always casts doubt in the minds of contestants, but this season it’s like people are specifically trying to figure out what viewers want. Mackenzie seemed obsessed with how she was portrayed, Cely, Laurel, Justine was worried about looking dumb if she stuck with Caleb and he recoupled. I guess it’s to be expected. They’re all here for fame. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

They all seem done with this show. 

I've enjoyed watching most night but now that we are in week five, it does seem like most of the islanders do seem like they are over being on the show.  Like they are ready to head home and count their instagram followers.

• Love 2

I can’t tell if Laurel is looking for depth. It wasn’t clear from the nine thousand times she mentioned it in every sentence. 

Kierstan: I really need to put myself out there to find a guy I’m into. 
Guy she’s supposedly the most interested in: Wanna get to know me a little more before tonight?

Kierstan: Nah, I’m good. 
lol. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

The question remains for me will Cely cave and stay with Johnny or realize that she will never trust him like she needs to and re-couple. The latter.....please! Johnny should be working his butt off to stay in Cely's good graces, yet all I hear from Mr. Smooth is more of his fog and redirection.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, CindyBee said:

"New boy Noah left the villa last night".  

So at least they said he was gone.  Not why but at least they admitted he was no more.

So its down to Calvin/Carrington for Laurel.

Wow I didn't even hear that... must have skipped over it.

Agreed the challenge getting in Laurel's head about Carrington/BSB was a bizarre happening, as if all of a sudden the light went on for her. That convo by the pool couldn't have helped, and I feel dumber now for hearing that eye color debate Carrington had with himself, did he really claim she had "brunette" eyes? Not a good look Mr. Puddle.

He also tried to downplay the "rough day" they had by saying it was more like an hour and then he went to bed, again not a good luck. He came off as super dismissive and arrogant.

But again, one constant remains: If you need the worst advice ever go to Moira because she is your girl.

Also, when the show comes down a bunch of people striking out with each other and seemingly sick of living on a Vegas rooftop in summer it does lose a bit of it's draw huh?

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Wow I didn't even hear that... must have skipped over it.

Agreed the challenge getting in Laurel's head about Carrington/BSB was a bizarre happening, as if all of a sudden the light went on for her. That convo by the pool couldn't have helped, and I feel dumber now for hearing that eye color debate Carrington had with himself. Not a good look Mr. Puddle. He also tried to downplay the "rough day" they had by saying it was more like an hour and then he went to bed, again not a good luck. He came off as super dismissive and arrogant.

But again, one constant remains: If you need the worst advice ever go to Moira because she is your girl.

Also, when the show comes down a bunch of people striking out with each other and seemingly sick of living on a Vegas rooftop in summer it does lose a bit of it's draw huh?

I really just hope if Connor goes home he doesn’t make some lame speech that he’s going to find Mackenzie and see where things go. I’d feel like I just wasted a month of my life, which I have. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Carrington wants Laurel but, also wants to keep his options open. So, of course he gets frustrated when Laurel wants to talk to Calvin. 

OMG Connor, please do not pursue Mackenzie when LI is over. It’s not worth it Dude.

Calvin is afraid of leaving so, he chat up all the girls.

I’m done with Cely and Johnny. I would be surprised if Cely re-couples but, this relationship is going downhill.

Can America(and Canada) vote to make Cely and Justine a “couple” so, that they can get the money. 

• Love 4

I missed the Noah was gone as well. 

I kinda wanted to see Moira and Connor make a go of it. Scratch that, maybe Keirstan and Connor should try. 

I'd like to know what Laurel considers deep because all I saw was Calvin looking like an arrogant douche. 

Carrington just wants to have fun and make out. 

• Love 4

Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention, but I do feel like there isn’t much Johnny can say to please Celi at this point.  He did tell her about what happened, and unless she wants to hear every detail which most people don’t, what else is there to say?  She either is okay with it or not.  But sitting around in your sunglasses and hiding will not do anything to help.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I really just hope if Connor goes home he doesn’t make some lame speech that he’s going to find Mackenzie and see where things go. I’d feel like I just wasted a month of my life, which I have. 

I think that's exactly what Connor will do!  Cely ought to recouple with Connor.  That'll shake things up.

• Love 2

That was interesting that they just glossed over Noah leaving, with nary a mention of his existence by the gang. I forgot about the internet sleuths finding out about his prior “career” and assumed he did something that creeped out the girls or crossed a line that they dragged him out post haste. The way he was staring Keirsten up and down and salivating over her like in cartoons when two characters are stuck on a deserted island and they imagine the other as a pork chop. He gave serious creeper vibes.

I feel so terrible for Cely—but also for Johnny that there’s really nothing he can do at this point to alleviate her fears. I almost wish the producers would just let her watch the footage and get it over with. Then again, I guess her heartache makes for interesting TV. I also don’t like that it’s being set up that she HAS to choose Johnny or Bennie. Bennie is taking advantage of Johnny’s bad behavior to swoop in there. I know you have to have a partner to stay on the show, but it is NOT the right move to jump in with another guy. If anything, I think she should pick a “friend” partner, such as Calvin and let Moira choose Johnny as a friend partner so they still have an opportunity to perhaps work through it but with a bit more space between them.

Then again, the whole “friend couple” thing is getting old. This is “Love Island,” people, not “Friendship Island.” At this point, the only solid couple is Caleb and Justine. It’s really too late in the game for anyone else to find love and have any chance of leaving here in a relationship—or with any money.

I haven’t caught up on the first few weeks of posts. Why is Calvin called BSB? What does that stand for?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

That was interesting that they just glossed over Noah leaving, with nary a mention of his existence by the gang. I forgot about the internet sleuths finding out about his prior “career” and assumed he did something that creeped out the girls or crossed a line that they dragged him out post haste. The way he was staring Keirsten up and down and salivating over her like in cartoons when two characters are stuck on a deserted island and they imagine the other as a pork chop. He gave serious creeper vibes.

I feel so terrible for Cely—but also for Johnny that there’s really nothing he can do at this point to alleviate her fears. I almost wish the producers would just let her watch the footage and get it over with. Then again, I guess her heartache makes for interesting TV. I also don’t like that it’s being set up that she HAS to choose Johnny or Bennie. Bennie is taking advantage of Johnny’s bad behavior to swoop in there. I know you have to have a partner to stay on the show, but it is NOT the right move to jump in with another guy. If anything, I think she should pick a “friend” partner, such as Calvin and let Moira choose Johnny as a friend partner so they still have an opportunity to perhaps work through it but with a bit more space between them.

Then again, the whole “friend couple” thing is getting old. This is “Love Island,” people, not “Friendship Island.” At this point, the only solid couple is Caleb and Justine. It’s really too late in the game for anyone else to find love and have any chance of leaving here in a relationship—or with any money.

I haven’t caught up on the first few weeks of posts. Why is Calvin called BSB? What does that stand for?

Calvin was introduced as being a bug spray salesman or something (although then it seemed like he was a personal trainer?). Anyway, something about him and bug spray, and since he was dull, unremarkable and nobody could remember his name someone started calling him Bug Spray Boy which turned into BSB. 

I seem to remember another season or show where a guy just left in the middle of the night and they never addressed it on the show. I guess producers just don’t think it’s worth the energy to say a story. Just move forward as they’re all interchangeable parts. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

It would be funny if Moira picks Bennett, Laurel picks Calvin, and then Kierstan picks Carrington. And by funny I mean pathetic and boring.

I'm guessing Cely will pick Johnny, but I wish she wouldn't only because I am over her going around and discussing the details of his 16 hours of cheating after their long, committed, and devoted relationship of [checks watch] two whole weeks. I don't like Johnny either, but him telling her to take off her sunglasses so he can see her eyes while he's talking is no worse than her telling him specifically what facial expressions are not acceptable when she's talking. They had a good run, they both need to move on now.

Sick of Connor still moping over Mackenzie too. Every time the camera pans to his sad face, I have to think he ate paste as a child and probably still sneaks a few bites as an adult. His pitch to Moira about how she should choose him because "at least one couple will be a friends couple" was not exactly inspiring. What is it with these idiots friend-zoning their partner, then acting shocked and dismayed when they hear a recoupling is coming up and they're on the wrong side of the numbers? Justine did it to Tre, and now Connor to Moira. I feel like it happened one other time too, but I can't remember who was involved.

Also, am I not remembering Moira and Calvin correctly or wasn't that a mutual breakup? Snarky Narrator said that Calvin friend-zoned her, but did they ever have that conversation? The way I remember it is that they were a no-chemistry couple who simultaneously chose other partners while he was at Casa Amor. She picked Aaron and was super pleased with herself until 30 seconds later when Calvin walked in with Sher and then she was filled with regret.

2 hours ago, JenE4 said:

It could be both, but I'm leaning toward he did something over the line. They edited out his entire last day on the show and then just gave him a cursory "Noah left the villa" coming back from commercial. My guess:

expose louis ck GIF

13 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

This season is a disappointment and lacks the sense of fun of the first season, which had a good mix of happy couples, one major and one minor douchebag, one self-sabotager, and just enough recouplings to keep it interesting instead of the constant stream of "meh, I think I'll try someone else now," that we're getting this year. This year's group isn't that likeable to me, which is maybe just me already tired of the show, or maybe what happens when you're casting during a pandemic.

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

It would be funny if Moira picks Bennett, Laurel picks Calvin, and then Kierstan picks Carrington. And by funny I mean pathetic and boring.

I'm guessing Cely will pick Johnny, but I wish she wouldn't only because I am over her going around and discussing the details of his 16 hours of cheating after their long, committed, and devoted relationship of [checks watch] two whole weeks. I don't like Johnny either, but him telling her to take off her sunglasses so he can see her eyes while he's talking is no worse than her telling him specifically what facial expressions are not acceptable when she's talking. They had a good run, they both need to move on now.

Sick of Connor still moping over Mackenzie too. Every time the camera pans to his sad face, I have to think he ate paste as a child and probably still sneaks a few bites as an adult. His pitch to Moira about how she should choose him because "at least one couple will be a friends couple" was not exactly inspiring. What is it with these idiots friend-zoning their partner, then acting shocked and dismayed when they hear a recoupling is coming up and they're on the wrong side of the numbers? Justine did it to Tre, and now Connor to Moira. I feel like it happened one other time too, but I can't remember who was involved.

Also, am I not remembering Moira and Calvin correctly or wasn't that a mutual breakup? Snarky Narrator said that Calvin friend-zoned her, but did they ever have that conversation? The way I remember it is that they were a no-chemistry couple who simultaneously chose other partners while he was at Casa Amor. She picked Aaron and was super pleased with herself until 30 seconds later when Calvin walked in with Sher and then she was filled with regret.

It could be both, but I'm leaning toward he did something over the line. They edited out his entire last day on the show and then just gave him a cursory "Noah left the villa" coming back from commercial. My guess:

expose louis ck GIF

This season is a disappointment and lacks the sense of fun of the first season, which had a good mix of happy couples, one major and one minor douchebag, one self-sabotager, and just enough recouplings to keep it interesting instead of the constant stream of "meh, I think I'll try someone else now," that we're getting this year. This year's group isn't that likeable to me, which is maybe just me already tired of the show, or maybe what happens when you're casting during a pandemic.

Agree with all your points. There have definitely been friend couples in the past, but it seemed way more genuine and caring. And mostly happened at the beginning when more people would obviously be coming. It was more of a, “Hey, let’s have each other’s backs while we’re in here and look out for one another and realize that if someone comes in that sparks something we’ll let each other know before doing anything.” 

And I agree with the recoupling fatigue. This is turning into online dating where as soon as you have a twinge of doubt you just give up and wait for the next thing to come along. I’m not saying these people should marry each other (god no) but I’m not sure what they expect to happen if they talk to everyone all the time and don’t even try to commit. Then again, Connor and Mackenzie wouldn’t let go so maybe it goes both ways. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Agree with all your points. There have definitely been friend couples in the past, but it seemed way more genuine and caring. And mostly happened at the beginning when more people would obviously be coming. It was more of a, “Hey, let’s have each other’s backs while we’re in here and look out for one another and realize that if someone comes in that sparks something we’ll let each other know before doing anything.” 

And I agree with the recoupling fatigue. This is turning into online dating where as soon as you have a twinge of doubt you just give up and wait for the next thing to come along. I’m not saying these people should marry each other (god no) but I’m not sure what they expect to happen if they talk to everyone all the time and don’t even try to commit. Then again, Connor and Mackenzie wouldn’t let go so maybe it goes both ways. 

And then to add to this, if they are going to recouple a lot--be there in the spirit of fun.  Date, have fun, try different people--the problem with this group is they take it so seriously and at the same time don't really do what they are sent to Love Island to do.  It is so strange.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, alexa said:

And then to add to this, if they are going to recouple a lot--be there in the spirit of fun.  Date, have fun, try different people--the problem with this group is they take it so seriously and at the same time don't really do what they are sent to Love Island to do.  It is so strange.

That’s true. They’re barely invested in each other, until they break up, and then they have a meltdown. We’ve now had multiple examples of Moira friend-zoning guys but then she gets upset when those same guys think of her as a friend?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Didn't Kierstan get all googly-eyed for Bennett, enough to tell Calvin to hit the road.  Then later she seemed lukewarm about Bennett saying she didn't need another conversation with him.  He was probably trying to figure out who she was going to pick to recouple with.

Yuuuuuup. Right after she told the camera she was going to make an effort to find someone. Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This season does lack a bit of the joy that last season had. The woman are trying so hard for a connection. I think I’d like Moira as a person but on the show I want someone more charismatic. Kiersten had spunk at first but she’s lost it. Y’all-you should be having fun! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Yeah, I think any one of these things is a red flag but when they're stacked on top of one another it's not good.  And when coupled with the information she doesn't know, but we got from Mercedes about how CA was more raunchy than they could air, it's not a pretty picture. She can't win now anyway WITH him so I hope she just dumps him. 

For the record, I now take back my theory from last week that Cely was glossing over it to present to America a redemption story. I don't think that anymore. 

Last night's episode was so boring. The most exciting thing was watching what they made for breakfast (I'm always fascinated how people cook eggs, everyone seems to have different techniques of scrambling them) . The recap episode on Saturday was lame too with only a few new scenes.  I've been watching UK Season 6 on Hulu and it just seem there is more going on. Everyone seems bored and over it right about now. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I can’t tell if Laurel is looking for depth. It wasn’t clear from the nine thousand times she mentioned it in every sentence. 

Kierstan: I really need to put myself out there to find a guy I’m into. 
Guy she’s supposedly the most interested in: Wanna get to know me a little more before tonight?

Kierstan: Nah, I’m good. 
lol. 

LOLL! I also am baffled by how Laurel found "depth" in her non-exchange with BSB.  He had shades on half the time, would barely look her in the eye, and appeared totally uninterested.  BSB seems to be phoning it in completely.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, CindyBee said:

Poor fans on Twitter are loosing their minds over the 50 min delay.  Guess all those years of watching The Amazing Race on Sunday nights on CBS comes in handy as i never expect CBS shows on Sunday night to start on time during football season.

It was "The Good Wife" for me.  So frustrating.  Supposed to be 9 PM every Sunday I think.  So that meant that it would start between 9:30 PM and 11 PM.

The problem is I'm Canadian and I know NOTHING about the NFL.  Is there a football season?  I wouldn't know.  And it would be hard for me to remember.  I'm so hurt!

I got a good picture of BSB doing sideeye when Carrington didn't know anything about Laurel.

calvin.jpg

Carrington arguing with Laurel about her life was funny.

Laurel:  I have 5 siblings.
Carrington:  Nooooooooooo!
Laurel:  I'm 22, not 23.
Carrington:  Nooooooooooooo!
Laurel:  My eyes are green.
Carrington:  Nooooooooooo!

It was also funny when BSB said he's been working really hard (something something?). LOL at doing what?  At having casual conversations with everyone that don't mean anything?

Is it a rule that the women are not allowed to say anything on camera about what guy they'll recouple with?  It's so annoying how they all have to pretend to be so confused about it and they'll all decide at the last minute.  There's no way that's true.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I agree with the narrator.  Moira was ALL ABOUT HIM, as she is with every single white guy that walks onto this island, and was SO EXCITED, and wanted to kiss and makeout, but BSB was never interested in kissing or anything.  He specifically told her he wanted to take things really slow, meaning anything physical.  And Moira was pretty disappointed after that.

Moira kind of had to pick Aaron, because I do think BSB friend-zoned her.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Calvin is like that last donut in the break room. You walk by it, every now and then and wonder why no one has taken it. I mean, it’s a donut. Maybe powdered sugar cake donut in that it’s kinda bland and a little too white.  You watch others do walk- bys and figure someone will take it, but no one does. Before lunch it might be that people are just being polite and not wanting to take the last donut, they’ve already had one. But after lunch it’s just kinda sad.
And the donut box has been moved to closer to the coffee machine, a subtle marketing tactic, a gesture that’s encouraging, yeah these go together in your belly,  they’ll keep each other company! Maybe there’s a dent in the powdered sugar at this point, this staling white donut alone in a big white box. 

Then around 3:30 it’s just gone. But you look in the trash and it’s not there. So someone ate it, they didn’t throw it out. And you’re thinking, huh, I guess someone ate it. I wonder if they regret it. And then you go on with your day. 🍩

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14

Seriously! Wtf?!?! Did everyone get amnesia after Justine picked Caleb? Because that was the last thing that made sense. I was so confused at the recoupling because none of the statements and expressions matched with any of these people and what has been happening. And Connor and Mackenzie?!?! And them cheering him on???

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The problem is I'm Canadian and I know NOTHING about the NFL.  Is there a football season?  I wouldn't know.  And it would be hard for me to remember.  I'm so hurt!

The NFL season starts in September and ends in early January. They play Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays, and sometimes on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with the narrator.  Moira was ALL ABOUT HIM, as she is with every single white guy that walks onto this island, and was SO EXCITED, and wanted to kiss and makeout, but BSB was never interested in kissing or anything.  He specifically told her he wanted to take things really slow, meaning anything physical.  And Moira was pretty disappointed after that.

Moira kind of had to pick Aaron, because I do think BSB friend-zoned her.

Ohhhh, that's how it went. I remember them talking about taking it slow, but I guess I thought it was a mutual thing because to be honest those two were so boring together I couldn't pay attention when they were talking about their relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Canadian Girl said:

Was there an episode between September 18 and September 21?

Last night. It was delayed because of the game but it aired late. 

Didn’t Kierstan specifically back off a guy because Moira “called dibs” on him first? You’d think she would have the decency to at least tell Kierstan before trying to pick up Bennett. Or do you think all the girls have decided Moira is so pathetic that she needs extra help that the others don’t?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Moira is the worst 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, so I came here specifically to post that I think I hate Moira.

She called Bennett "Conversational".  

Cely:  "You're LITERALLY going to make me cry right now."  Cely, what does that even mean?  God, she's dumb.

Here are some good songs from the past two episodes:

- Celine Dion - Think Twice (COVER). How random?  Actually , I don't know who did "Think Twice" originally.  I only know the Celine version.
- Some random song that decided to sample Annie Lennox's "No More I Love Yous".
- Amerie - "One Thing" - I don't know why they didn't play more of this song, it's great.
- Clean Bandit, Jess Glynne, "Rather Be"

4 hours ago, Canadian Girl said:

Was there an episode between September 18 and September 21?

Saturday, September 19 there was a recap episode.

Yesterday, Sunday September 20 there was a new episode.  Not much happened.

I ran to go find Connor on Instagram but he's this insane bodybuilder.  Sigh.  My crush is over 😞.  

Stripper Challenge
- Ginuwine "Pony"
- Nelly  "Hot in Herre"
- Sir Mix a Lot - "Baby Got Back"
- Pussycat Dolls - "When I Grow Up". 

Connor LEAVING RIGHT BEFORE THE STRIPPER CHALLENGE?????? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO MY LIFE?  Mack and Connor would be so perfect for this and I feel very ripped off.  

@fishcakes, brace yourself for even more BSB dancing. You're going to have more than you could ever ask for.  Moira lying down like a vampire and saying "I need to go to the graveyard" was funny.  And now she's performing CPR on Cely.  HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Justine was so hot.  Oh my god.  I'm not sure if any of the guys this year were as hot as Yamen was, last season:

16239262-7263493-image-a-81_1563515765834.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2