Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Swedish Job

• Start Topic

Okay, so far, this is moving fast and lots is happening -

• I still think Lila and Diego are a cute couple. Despite her lie about finding her parents, and then WHO HER MUM IS!!!!!!!
  • I'm glad Five got to Vanya. Even though I don't really like Five much (as a character - I think Aiden Gallagher nails it, I just personally find Five to be kind of an asshole), I feel like he'll keep her safe, if for no other reason then to have her on his side during the apocalypse showdown.
  • Poor Ray. He and Luther sitting there with the box of chocolates was such an incredible scene, but the poor man has to be confused as hell about why these strange white guys keep showing up and saying they're Allison's brothers. And then to hear her finally use the 'I hear a rumor' line has to be that final straw.
  • Okay, Klaus may have finally broken me a bit - after all that time, heading back to Dallas to try and stop Dave from enlisting? Ben's right, yeah (although was he just wanting to stay in San Francisco because of the woman he was watching on the bus?), that really Klaus shouldn't do anything, but these crazy kids just can't help themselves with the fucking up of the timeline, can they?

• Love 14

I loved seeing Allison and Klaus hug. I like hoe she was just so happy to see him she jumped right into the pool wearing her clothes.  They never seemed particularly close, but their reunion kinda just caught me in the feels.

Poor Luther.  LOL.  He finds out Allison is married and eats his feelings in chocolate then beat his feelings in the fighting pit.  Poor Ray.  Man, I'll bet he never guessed that about Allison's family from 'Up North".  I winder why he didn't mention Klaus to Luther?  IBut man he was hella pissed at her and then came the 'Who are you?'  Poor Ray.

I am glad they brought Klaus' story back around to Dave.  It makes sense. But it was weird to Klaus kinda giving young Dave the puppy eyes.

Ugh.  Lila.  I was rooting for you!  Poor Diego.

• Love 10

I’m almost surprised it took Allison so long to rumor someone.  

ah timey wimey travel.  Handler must have sent her daughter back further to get into the hospital.  How’d she manage that considering her demotion.  How did the Time travel bureau get more cases?

diego remember that “dad” doesn’t know you yet.

• Love 2

Wow, there was a lot in this episode. Klaus and Luther just breaking my heart and Allison. I hope we get to see the backstory on how her and Ray met. I like Diego and Lila too, I hope she doesn't do him too dirty 😕

• Love 4

So many questions about the Handler and Lila in this episode. The most superficial one: Why does the Handler suddenly have dark hair? The more complicated ones: What is her mission, and is she acting on her own or doing what she was assigned to do? Is Lila really her daughter, and if so does that mean Lila lied to Diego about her parents being killed in a home invasion? If the Swedes were sent by the agency to kill the UA siblings, are the Handler and Lila trying to protect the siblings, and if so, why? 

I assume (hope) that at least some of these questions will be answered in future episodes, but at the moment I am very confused.

• Love 1

I accidentally read a spoiler about Lila, when I searched to find out who the actress was, so I knew that part was coming. Still, a shame, because Diego seems to really like her. 

I also loved Allison and Klaus' reunion - that she was so happy to see him, that she jumped in the pool. I like that she's more careful with her power, but of course she was going to use it to save her husband. 

I guess Luther is out of a job now. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Paloma said:

Why does the Handler suddenly have dark hair?

To fit in more in the 1960's? I think she was trying to look a bit like Jackie O.

Interestingly my husband had a huge crush on Kate Walsh during her Addison Montgomery days, and he remarked last night that the show is making her look older. I'm not sure if it is that Kate Walsh has aged or if it is the show making her look like that.

Didn't see it coming at all that Lila would be The Handler's daughter! Poor Diego! Actually for a family that are all pretty much not squeaky clean good guys with plenty of flaws, I find myself saying "Poor So and So" a lot on this show.

• Love 3
On 7/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, saoirse said:

Okay, so far, this is moving fast and lots is happening -

• I still think Lila and Diego are a cute couple. Despite her lie about finding her parents, and then WHO HER MUM IS!!!!!!!
  • I'm glad Five got to Vanya. Even though I don't really like Five much (as a character - I think Aiden Gallagher nails it, I just personally find Five to be kind of an asshole), I feel like he'll keep her safe, if for no other reason then to have her on his side during the apocalypse showdown.
  • Poor Ray. He and Luther sitting there with the box of chocolates was such an incredible scene, but the poor man has to be confused as hell about why these strange white guys keep showing up and saying they're Allison's brothers. And then to hear her finally use the 'I hear a rumor' line has to be that final straw.
  • Okay, Klaus may have finally broken me a bit - after all that time, heading back to Dallas to try and stop Dave from enlisting? Ben's right, yeah (although was he just wanting to stay in San Francisco because of the woman he was watching on the bus?), that really Klaus shouldn't do anything, but these crazy kids just can't help themselves with the fucking up of the timeline, can they?

The girl Ben was watching on the bus must be why he wanted to stay and get back to San Francisco so bad. I hope they expand that. He's in love with someone who can't see him. I'm a sucker for those types of stories lol! Plus, I just love Ben and wish he could have some happiness. (And backstory on him like we got for the others??). On another note, I'm stoked they cast a black nerdy girl type for his crush. Good job show for keeping up the showing and not just "telling" when it comes to equality (i.e., diversity).

I guess most of these crazy kids are in heartbreaking love situations: Luther with Allison married, Allison with a great husband who doesn't truly know her powers and backstory. Vanya seems to have something for Sissy. Klaus trying to prevent young Dave from enlisting and eventually dying.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, nomodrama said:
8 hours ago, Paloma said:

To fit in more in the 1960's? I think she was trying to look a bit like Jackie O.

That could be, especially since she seemed to be going for the pillbox hat style.

3 hours ago, shoetingstar said:

Vanya seems to have something for Sissy.

I thought that was possible from the way Vanya reacted when Sissy was holding and "reading" her palm, but my husband thought that the reaction  was due to a glimmer of memory evoked by what Sissy said--I can't remember exactly, but didn't she say something about playing an instrument? But even if the reaction was due to a memory, there was clearly a strong connection between Vanya and Sissy--friendship and sisterhood, with mutual gratitude for the help and support they gave each other. I enjoyed seeing that bond.   

• Love 1

I like that Allison isn’t using her powers just to make things easier for herself the way Klaus does.   You see through Klaus the unintended consequences of the use of powers.    

I am doing a second watch of the season.  The first watch was while working so I did missed a lot.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Despite her lie about finding her parents, and then WHO HER MUM IS!!!!!!!

Why do you think Lila was lying? She said her parents were murdered at 4. There's nothing inconsistent with that and the revelation about the Handler being her mum. If the Handler adopted her after her parents were murdered, Lila would consider the Handler her mum. And this show being this show, I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that Handler murdered Lila's parents in order to adopt her so that Lila could be in a position to get the Handler to Five (or possibly JFK, depending on if the Handler's present on an assignment for the time agency people or back in time on a rogue mission for revenge against Five). 

I like that Allison isn’t using her powers just to make things easier for herself the way Klaus does.   You see through Klaus the unintended consequences of the use of powers.

Klaus only seems to be using his powers to channel Ben. We haven't seen him speak or channel any other ghost. I was wondering about that when he was building his cult because it would seem like an excellent way to do it. I'm also proud of him appearing to still have his drug habit kicked. 

His scene with Dave broke my heart. When Klaus is sincere, it's so moving. 

I'm glad Allison went ahead and used her power to save Ray. I want to see Allison's power in action more often because it's cool. Her desire not to use it and earn her way through the world doesn't resonate for me because we never really saw her abuse it last season... just that single flashback montage. I did appreciate how weird Klaus and Luther showing up as Allison's brothers would be for Ray.

Poor Luther. He really was the most f'd up by their father.

I want movement on Ben's plotline. What could he be so invested in with anyone in San Francisco? There was the implied romantic interest in bus woman, but Ben's always seemed too realistic about his ghost status. Also, he wouldn't be able to communicate without Klaus's assistance, and Klaus seems clueless about what's going on with Ben. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I love that 5 still hasn’t admitted to anyone that he killed Kennedy 

I didn’t think that Five killed Kennedy. They showed him going through the portal before Kennedy was shot. 

Edited by Guest

The Allison/ Klaus reunion was my favorite scene. (Though the little kid calling Luther a dickwad was a close second... and all of Ben's ghostly behind the scenes stuff, particularly helping to free Ray.) But in the scene where Klaus is in the pool... what the heck is tattooed on his stomach??? It looked like a chandelier!

And speaking of tattoos, seeing Klaus's reminded me they all have the umbrella tattoos on their arms... I am surprised Allison is always wearing short sleeves, because you know that must get commented on. I don't think many well-bred ladies had tattoos in the '60s. I was going to say the same thing for Vanya and how it could have been a clue for her, but then I remembered she didn't have one.

I was spoiled a bit by seeing "young Dave" listed on IMBD, but that was still heart breaking.

And poor Diego indeed.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:34 PM, Paloma said:

Speculation, but based on the comic so I'll spoiler tag...

Spoiler

In the comic, Five enlists Allison (who is white in the comics, and a rather different character in general) to pose as Jackie Kennedy and ensure that JFK is killed. I'm wondering if this role might be taken on by the Handler (under her own volition) instead...  

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 2

Lila being the Handler's daughter was a a nice twist. I figured there was more to her with the way she could fight and hotwire cars but, I didn't expect that. I hope this isn't a fake out (and she ends up being "good"). I find her grating, it would be great if it was all a con and, she's evil. Sadly I'm guessing they're going for a Batman/Catwoman thing with Lila/Diego.

The Klaus/Allison reunion was great. I loved how she jumped in the pool to hug him. I also loved the Klaus/Ray scene and the Klaus/Dave scene as well as the Klaus/Ben scene broke my heart ❤

The Five/Vanya scenes were good too. I like that Vanya is now part of the story rather then off on her own. 

And now for Luthor...please let this be it, let this be his fuck it/wake up call. Please let this be the end of Allison/Luthor because I can't respect it at all. There's nothing romantic or good about that relationship. It's not love, it's just sad.

That being said, I found I like Luthor more this season. I never thought Tom Hopped/Billy Bones could be funny but, he pulls it off.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Dani said:

I didn’t think that Five killed Kennedy. They showed him going through the portal before Kennedy was shot. 

He did?  I guess I remembered it wrong.  I thought he had taken the shot, then made a portal to go home.

23 hours ago, shoetingstar said:

What episode did this come from?!!

It’s not any specific episode this season, just how Diego especially keeps talking about saving Kennedy from Oswald, and 5 doesn’t say anything. 

• Love 1

I just love Ben and wish he could have some happiness. (And backstory on him like we got for the others??).

They have yet to explain how he died.

The Handler fits right in with 60s fashion.

I think all the Academy students are doomed in love. Luther pining for Allison, Allison's broken marriage (now possibly two); Klaus and Dave; Vanya and Leonard; Five and what was the mannequin's name? And now Diego and Lila.

Good Lord but that diner sit-in scene was timely.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The Handler fits right in with 60s fashion.

Well, only if you were looking at 60s fashion while taking a hallucinogenic drug! I grew up in the 60s (turned 10 in 1960) and don't remember things being quite that crazy, though it's possible I wasn't paying close attention to fashion in the early 1960s when this takes place. But the Handler definitely incorporates elements of that period's style.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, saoirse said:

Oh my heart. I can't even stand it. I really want him to be saved (in part because I am so tired of dead gay characters), but given the way nothing works out for these characters, I don't know that it will happen. 

Spoiler

Speculation with no basis: Dave's father seemed pretty concerned/squicked about the exchange and I worry the poor kid gets sent away/disowned/forced into the military because of Klaus now. 

On 7/31/2020 at 8:20 PM, DearEvette said:

I loved seeing Allison and Klaus hug. I like hoe she was just so happy to see him she jumped right into the pool wearing her clothes.  They never seemed particularly close, but their reunion kinda just caught me in the feels.

This was a such a great moment. 

Oof. This one was a tough watch. That lunch counter scene was enraging and terrifying and generally just hard to watch. I wanted to rage at those fuckers. 

I think that is one of the reasons Luther's story is hard for me to connect with. Allison was thrown into a time where she literally doesn't have basic civil rights and Luther, who claims to love her,  doesn't even show relief that she has made a place for herself. There is something possessive about the way he loves her that squicks me out and I can't quite articulate it. Something about how he seems to love the idea if Allison more than actual Allison, if that makes sense. 

I loved Vanya's logical, calm response to the increasingly alarming news. I also love that she immediately went to check on Sissy. 

Can we talk about how divine Kate Walsh is? I can't decide if I am scared of The Handler or in love. 😆 probably a little bit of both. 

I figured Lila was a time traveler, actually, so I guess I was partially right. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, The Companion said:

I think that is one of the reasons Luther's story is hard for me to connect with. Allison was thrown into a time where she literally doesn't have basic civil rights and Luther, who claims to love her,  doesn't even show relief that she has made a place for herself. There is something possessive about the way he loves her that squicks me out and I can't quite articulate it. Something about how he seems to love the idea if Allison more than actual Allison, if that makes sense. 

I thought Luther and Allison finally came to an understanding about how they felt about each other when they had that big number where they were singing and dancing all dressed in white in Season One. Now Luther finally figures out where Allison is and she is happily married. Luther has been holding his emotions for Alison in for decades, and he finally thought this would be his time. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought Luther and Allison finally came to an understanding about how they felt about each other when they had that big number where they were singing and dancing all dressed in white in Season One. Now Luther finally figures out where Allison is and she is happily married. Luther has been holding his emotions for Alison in for decades, and he finally thought this would be his time. 

Allison and Luther talking about their relationship and the dance number was part of the day that didn’t happen. Five went back in time a changed everything. Instead Allison went searching for Vanya and Luther went to a rave. 

So Klaus started the 60s counterculture. Of course he did. Years before the Beatles went to India, he was exploring eastern mysticism and building a devoted following of cultists. And of course he hated it - It was responsibility.

Alison and Klaus's reunion was really sweet. They didn't have many scenes together in season one, but I love how real all these sibling relationships feel. Her teasing him about his cult, him teasing her about her husband. Robert Sheehan is such a good actor, he can go from Klaus's absurd, over the top persona to hitting you in the gut with pathos, when he sees David and when he has flashbacks to the war.

Is it a legal requirement that any show or movie set near a farm has to have a chase through cornfields?

Diego's exasperated "I don't understand you!" was absolutely spot on. She's so weird, but the actress is charismatic and brings a sense of playfulness to all her scenes. Shame she might be a villain.

Luther really needs to move on from Alison. I know a large part of his character is that he's a hopeless sap, but this is the second time she's married someone else while he's been doing something utterly meaningless and soaking himself in self-loathing. It's just gratuitous at this point.

I find the idea that Ruby and Luther are running a scam with the fights kind of amusing. No one would ever buy Luther as an underdog, especially not once he took his shirt off.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Years before the Beatles went to India, he was exploring eastern mysticism and building a devoted following of cultists.

Paramahansa Yogananda had very much popularized Indian spiritual practices in the US starting in the 1920s and increasing through to his death in the ‘50s, so it’s not like Klaus was starting from scratch.

• Love 1

At this point, I hardly care about the larger plot*, and I just live for the scenes between the characters.  All these reunions when they all must have felt so alone and lost when they unexpectedly time-traveled are what I live for.  Sure, they remember the crap that went on before, but they're so genuinely so happy to reconnect that they're skimming over those details for the sheer joy of seeing each other again. 

*OK, I do care about the larger plot, but these characters are getting the hell played out of them by the fantastic actors and I just can't take my eyes off them.

• Love 6