Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

And, even though there's zero change ABC will cancel Once, if the impossible happens, Netflix is pretty much sure to 'save' it.

"Save it" as in keep making new episodes on its own? Hmm, I think a show like Once would be too expensive for Netflix. It also wouldn't bring with it the "cool" cachet streaming services receive for reviving critically acclaimed shows with small but cult fandoms like Arrested Development and Community. Ironically, I suspect one of the reasons it's so popular on Netflix is that it's the kind of show most people like okay, but don't see as must-watch watercooler viewing, so they're fine to wait until they can watch it online later. 

• Love 3

"The Blacklist" only became available for viewing on Netflix in September of this year, so it's more than likely that the viewership number  (referenced in that article) is based on only September and October (and perhaps November) viewing numbers when people are binge watching before the new season starts. ONCE premiered this season (season 4) well into the 3.x range, so they obviously had gotten enough Frozen publicity to get people to tune in (and quickly lost all those viewers because as of the most recent episode they are matching last years numbers), and therefore it's not unlikely that many of those Netflix viewership numbers are people who started binge watching to catch-up before season 4 started (or already existing fans just rewatching before the start of the season). 

But all of that doesn't necessarily equate to a show that Netflix would want to "save" if it were cancelled. Netflix wants more subscribers because that's how they make money. The question Netflix would therefore ask themselves is "Would saving this show bring us more subscribers, a.k.a. more money?" According to that article it's highly watched (the article doesn't mention a time range, but I'm deducing it means in the last three months), but when you add in the cost of actually making ONCE (and it's surely an expensive show -- it's got a big cast and heavy on the CGI), the chances that Netflix would save it become very doubtful.

I don't think cost is really an issue. I think they spent something like 90 million on Marco Polo (their latest show) and I bet the House of Cards cast is much more expensive than Once (Kevin Spacey and what'shername, the Princess Bride). Anyway, that was just an hypotethical. However, as to the question "would this bring more subscribers?", I think Once is exactly the kind of show that would do that. It's got a VERY intense and committed fandom.

But I think that shows Netflix is willing to pay for a high caliber product. Granted, I don't know how much House of Cards costs them (or how much ONCE costs ABC), but House of Cards has received critical acclaim and won notable industry awards which then gives Netflix a tremendous return on investment in terms of building a reputation as a producer of quality original content that people want to pay for (like HBO has done with Game of Thrones and other original programs).

And in that sense, I don't think ONCE is even in the same league as House of Cards. So in terms of cost of production versus return on investment, I think ONCE's chances of being "saved" (in this hypothetical situation) would be seriously questionable. ONCE does have a rabid fandom, but it's an already existing fandom which may also mean that many of it's viewers already have Netflix and are just rewatching the show and if that's the case I don't think that really gains Netflix anything. 

A rabid fanbase doesn't mean it can make a studio/production company money. Firefly had/has a notably rabid fanbase that was able to get a movie made once Firefly was cancelled, but the studio actually lost money making that film. I realize a movie is not exactly the same as producing a TV show, but the point is that a committed fandom is not a factor that guarantees a return on investment.

If...BIG giant if since we are dealing in hypotheticals, Once happened to move somewhere like Netflix, I'd think the show would be a hell of a lot different than what it is on ABC with family hour and stuff like that. 

Edited by YaddaYadda

Episode by episode comparisons to last season in 18-49 ratings:

E1 +.9

E2 +.6

E3 +.3

E4 +.6

E5 +.2

E6 +.3

E7 +.4

E8 +.5

E9 +.2

E10 -.1

With an average 17% increase from last season. Based on #s on SpottedRatings.

ETA: The only other drama that's grown this season is Scandal, by 3%.

Edited by jjjmoss

Nooooo!!!!! :'( It was kind of a mediocre episode though. I was hoping it could at least match last year's 1.9 or top it by a tenth. Weren't there big football games on tonight? I know, I know. Lousy, go-to excuse, but let me wallow in denial.

Can I blame the marketing/promotions? I think they pushed too far with the Evil Trio rather than focusing on the actual story lines wrapping up. Although, maybe that was a smart move, because if they had pushed the main story lines, more people would be disappointed/raging than they already are do to some of the story lines not getting proper resolution.

:'(

Yeah, well, that's what happens when your finale is a total whiplash in terms of storytelling and emotional fallout from the penultimate episode and you bring in three random characters the audience has never heard of before to sloppily set up a plot that won't get played out until three months from now.

And it's the holiday season, I guess.

• Love 3

I'm laughing. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I am. I'm laughing. 

I mean, come on. They play up the Shattered Sight Spell as this big awful, horrible, "The End is HERE!" type of disaster, and what do they do with it? They play it for laughs and there's ZERO fallout. What's that? You wanted pay-off? Well, how about more of Woegina and her adulterous lover Robin Hood? Who cares about Maid Marion, his wife, she's on ICE, and plus, Snow White totally said adultery was cool as long as it gets Woegina what she wants. There's your pay-off.

And then they hit a series low for the episode that follows all that? Unsurprising and ya, I'm totally laughing.

• Love 9

It's only going to get worse in 4B after that lackluster finale. They had all the momentum in the world from the Frozen arc -- and they squandered it with bad storytelling and heartless writing (pun not intended). If they blame it on Emma and focus on Regina even more (Is that even possible at this point? I know, I know, don't ask or we'll find out), the ratings will only fall faster. They've done no promotion related to Emma in forever, no promotion related to CS or the storylines with actual emotional depth (or at least the setup for it). They rush through everything with no emotional resonance to anything. How are fans supposed to care about what happens to the characters if the writers don't seem to? If they treat the show and characters as disposable throwaways, guess what? So will the viewers.

Like YaddaYadda, I don't think any lessons will be learned from this. And if there are, it will be 100% the wrong lessons. A&E aren't interested in the truth or valid criticism.

• Love 4

Through the first 8 episodes, vs. last year this season had been up 20% with each episode up multiple tenths so...this has to be a bit alarming for ABC execs who were riding high on the Elsa train.

• Love 1

Through the first 8 episodes, vs. last year this season had been up 20% with each episode up multiple tenths so...this has to be a bit alarming for ABC execs who were riding high on the Elsa train.

Maybe that was the Neilson's mixup talking. It probably never went up that much.

Nooooo!!!!! :'( It was kind of a mediocre episode though. I was hoping it could at least match last year's 1.9 or top it by a tenth. Weren't there big football games on tonight? I know, I know. Lousy, go-to excuse, but let me wallow in denial.

It's not the worst excuse. I wasn't really taken with the episode so I switched to the game halfway through the episode. And I think it was the second highest rated football game of the season. I'm curious what the DVR numbers will be.

Unfurtonaly I'm not surprise at all.

The only responsible for the drop in the rating are the writting and not Frozen, Emma,Cs or even OQ because all the s. L .lack something. The deep, the meaning that is essential to make people care about any of theses relationships.

I mean people said it was a big CS season but I never really felt it.

At least certaintly not, since episode 4.

I have some serious doubt that the OQ angst will be good rating wise or the author crap.

But I will give them the chance, but I'm afraid the magic is lost this time!

• Love 3

Isn't Episode 8 the one they decided to make two hours long? I honestly think the ABC execs screwed up big time by making a random mid-season episode two hours long, which probably confused casual viewers who thought it might have been the finale, which also screwed over the actual finale that desperately needed the extended time. I hope they learn their lesson and stick to doing two-part episodes for their finales from now on.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

Deserved. So richly deserved.

However, I have to say (yes, #fanexcusebingo) I was talking with a friend who was convinced the episode before was the midseason finale. So that could be a reason.

As a person who likes, but does not love this show, I decided when I heard the episode was 2 hours long to DVR, no way could I sit and watch for two hours.  Since then with the holidays and everything I've gotten behind.  I have yet to see any episode beyond the first hour of the two hour episode. 

Edited by ihavenoidea

Deserved. So richly deserved.

However, I have to say (yes, #fanexcusebingo) I was talking with a friend who was convinced the episode before was the midseason finale. So that could be a reason.

Yeah, I'm thinking because the Frozen/Snow Queen/Shattered Sight spell arc got wrapped up last week, less people tuned in this week

honestly think the ABC execs screwed up big time by making a random mid-season episode two hours long, which probably confused casual viewers who thought it might have been the finale, which also screwed over the actual finale that desperately needed the extended time.

I don't think that was a network decision at all, on where to put that extra episode/hour. That was an A&E decision. Other shows got the extra episode order and as far as I can tell, Castle and Black-ish for example haven't "used" it yet. Those are the only 2 other shows I still watch on ABC so I don't know about the others. Scandal and AOS just told the network no to the freebie so I don't think ABC is dictating anything on the extra episode besides giving it to them.

As for the ratings, I'm not surprised. I bet they would have hit that 1.7 back in episode 2 if it wasn't for the Frozen inflation. I haven't seen the finale either and from browsing the board I don't believe I will. Might have finally hit my permanent break point with the show.

• Love 3

I highly doubt they wouldve made that the two-hour episode if they didn't have to. That episode covered for a suffering Resurrection and was kind of a cliffhanger before they were preempted by the awards show. Plus, you have to remember the control the network had over the Frozen storyline compared to other storylines. So all that combines to make it seem like that was more of a network decision in that particular case.

Yeah, especially because they had already finished filming when the order came and add to go back and add more. I guess Shonda with Scandal can be like "thanks but no thanks", but A&E are no Shonda.

• Love 2

Ouch indeed.  But no lessons will be learned from this.

Hopefully the show matching a series low in adults 18-49 will prompt ABC to step in and make some major changes.

Yeah, no, sadly A&E won't learn anything from this season's bleed in ratings. If they didn't learn anything from the ratings sinking ship of Season 2, they won't start learning now.

That number does, however, make me feel not great about the spring. Granted ratings always slip closer to the holidays, but still, not a good forecast. I do still think we're almost surely getting a Season 5, but if the numbers start dipping into the 1.3 range....

ABC would have to cancel both Revenge and Resurrection before they even think of touching Once.

Personally, while I call the show my guilty pleasure (my husband still doesn't understand why I watch it), I'm growing tired of all these villains just popping in left and right every half season.  They drag things out the first 3-4 episodes, then they rush through everything in the last episode of the half season.  They did it last year with Zelena (not that i needed anymore of her) because they absolutely wanted to get to the time travel adventure (which I did enjoy to be honest).  But they just did the exact same thing this time as well.

• Love 4

ABC would have to cancel both Revenge and Resurrection before they even think of touching Once.

Personally, while I call the show my guilty pleasure (my husband still doesn't understand why I watch it), I'm growing tired of all these villains just popping in left and right every half season. They drag things out the first 3-4 episodes, then they rush through everything in the last episode of the half season. They did it last year with Zelena (not that i needed anymore of her) because they absolutely wanted to get to the time travel adventure (which I did enjoy to be honest). But they just did the exact same thing this time as well.

I actually think they tend to drag more through the middle than the beginning. I thought episode 1-4 had great momentum (which reflected in the ratings) and then everything was suddenly dropped.

• Love 5

I'm absolutely not worried about a season 5. They're this close to syndication. ABC doesn't have zilch on Sunday (and most other days). After S5, who knows? I think I heard most actors only have contracts up to S5, and I don't know if I see them renewing.

• Love 1

I honestly can't see much of anybody renewing. I think Robert is definitely out. I think Josh and Ginny probably like the convenience of working together, but their characters have been so shunted aside, they must be frustrated. JMo is so thoughtful and loves Emma so much, I bet she isn't too happy with how her character has been turned into a Regina prop. And I know she doesn't consider Vancouver home, so she probably wants to get back to LA or NY. Lana would probably come back, since she's A&E's golden character. I don't know whether Colin's contract syncs up with the others; he's a hard one to read about his true feelings on his character since he's relentlessly a team player.

• Love 3

I've always thought that this show wouldn't last longer than 5 seasons, and if the ratings keep falling this much I don't think there would be a season 6, especially if the actors have 5 years contracts as I can't imagine Carlyle, Goodwin and Morrison renewing.

Ya, but it's this show. The network could tell them today, this very moment, that the show's final date is Dec. 1, 2015 and I would bet money that A&E still wouldn't be able to deliver a "proper ending". They can't even do that for half season arcs when they know they're coming, so the chances that they'll deliver a proper ending to the whole series ever? Ya, riiiiight. Let me just go find a ponzi scheme to pour my savings into -- I'll probably have a better chance of getting something satisfying out of that than this show.

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 6

I joke that I need a fairy tales PhD or a flow chart or something to keep track of the parade of characters, their back stories (I think writers assume we know who these people are and don't take time to flesh some of them out well), how they intertwine across realms...I think the show has lost some people who were just confused by all the characters and plots and didn't feel invested as seasons progressed. But the writing quality definitely has eroded too.

It didn't seem as if the last episode was heavily touted as the winter finale like other shows...? And I hate that there is such a huge break in the middle of the seasons, it makes it too easy to just not come back in the spring, especially for a more casual viewer.

• Love 3

It didn't seem as if the last episode was heavily touted as the winter finale like other shows...?

I feel like this alone was responsible for at least a half-tenth/tenth of a drop in ratings. They really didn't push this episode as THE ***Winter finale**** Instead they decided to push #QUEEnSoFDARKNEsS...coming in...4b!!!! I feel like they ignored the finale in favor of promoting something that isn't going to occur until spring.

• Love 1

abc is not going to give A&E many more breaks, because the whole Frozen thing failed to bring in more viewers, and in fact proved that their writing is not good enough to even retain old ones. I'm seriously not surprised at the ratings drop. Maybe this means S5 is their last season.

• Love 1

OUAT isn't going anywhere it's a major hit compared to other shows on the network like Revenge and Nashville. 

The scheduling of this last episode was done wrong, it should have ended last week with the defeat of the Ice Queen. Even I was surprised that wasn't the fall finale when I saw another episode scheduled on my DVR.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

Well remember that last season, the fall finale got a 1.9 but returned to a 2.4 and ended with a 2.3.

So if there's positive buzz, at least a good chunk of the OUAT viewers could well come back.

Yeah, but Going Home was an great episode, and the ending with Hook finding Emma in New York was interesting. But Heroes and Villains was a shitty episode with a lame cliffhanger, so, even if the Spring premiere has good numbers (premiers almost always do), I can't see the show keeping numbers over 2.0 all the half season.

• Love 2

Rumple gathering the Queens of Darkness one by one to march back into Storybrooke? I dunno. It's certainly not a game-changer-type of cliffhanger like we're used to (which may very well be a good thing, since none of the premieres have really lived up to promise set up by the cliffhangers).