Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

This ABC press release says that Once was the most social show on Sunday.

Most social broadcast show - cable "The Walking Dead" still beats them (and was in the past week 2nd in the weekly Nielsen Twitter Ratings Top Ten, while Once doesn't show up in the Top Ten). The numbers are good and making ABC happy, that's what counts.  The Once people are doing a decent job with their social media presence, and are quite sure more appealing to the younger, more social media savvy crowd than a show like Madam Secretary probably ever will be. There is not much of a competition there.

Edited by katusch

I'm sure they didn't plan it based on what the Walking Dead was doing. ;) And I do have to wonder how much of a crossover there is between the two shows. Did the Once ratings take a big hit when Walking Dead returned to the air?

Even going against The Walking Dead, it'll still do better than Resurrection. I'll just watch The Walking Dead at nine and then Revenge tomorrow like I usually do.

I wonder how many are like me and never watch live. I start everything 15-20 minutes late. Sporting events or award shows I start 45 minutes to an hour late and stay off social media. Even fast forwarding through all those commercials, I still see the same ones over and over and over again.

Edited by Stuffy

From Spoiler TV:

On ABC, sophomore drama “Resurrection” was pre-empted by two hours of “Once Upon a Time,” which scored a 4.1/ 6 from 8-10 p.m. Comparably, the 9-10 p.m. portion of the fantasy drama (4.0/ 6) built from the 3.2/ 5 for “Resurrection” one week earlier by 25 percent (and the two-hours should translate into about a 2.5 rating in adults 18-49).

It will be interesting to see the break down in numbers but initial ones seem to suggest Once held up all things considered.

**ETA**

Once scored a 2.4 in the top 25 markets so I'm guessing it ends up with a 2.2 or 2.3 maybe? It's been a tick or two lower than the big markets the last few weeks. Maybe it will surprise us this week though.

Edited by Emma
  • Love 1

Correction: Not sure what the finals are.

First hour: 2.4 - 6.83

Second hour: 2.3 - 6.47

**ETA**

A 2.4 and 6.6 million viewers according to tvbythenumbers.

Edited by Emma

I wonder if that slight drop-off is the "families watching together" demographic freaking out at the crypt sex and changing the channel. I mean, Robin Hood cheating on Maid Marian while she's under a curse with the Evil Queen in a crypt, next to the Evil Queen's father's coffin and near the box with Maid Marian's heart in it is such heartwarming fare for families to share together.

• Love 2
I wonder if that slight drop-off is the "families watching together" demographic freaking out at the crypt sex and changing the channel.

If they weren't turned off by Regina raping and killing Graham, Rumple murdering his wife for leaving him and Regina killing a village of innocents, I doubt that crypt sex was going to deter them.

• Love 3

But most of that stuff was implied rather than shown in lengthy scenes, and it didn't involve people who were supposed to be good guys at the time. Even the adulterous relationships between Mary Margaret and David (though viewers knew they were really married to each other) and Hook and Milah were mostly implied (did we even see Hook and Milah kiss?), and Hook was a villain at that time. Regina with Graham was shown at that time as a bad thing and an example of how wicked she was. This seems to be showing adultery that splits up a known storybook couple as true love and a good thing. I can see where parents watching "the Frozen show" with kids might very quickly decide that this is more of a DVR episode where they can fast forward rather than trying to explain. Heck, I'd have wanted to censor it for my parents if I'd been watching with them.

If they weren't turned off by Regina raping and killing Graham, Rumple murdering his wife for leaving him and Regina killing a village of innocents, I doubt that crypt sex was going to deter them.

The die hard fans sure not, but the few Frozen fans that are left, probably were grossed out.

Edited by RadioGirl27

Nielsen Twitter Rating for Sunday shows the Once double episode from Nov. 16th as most social broadcast scripted show of the evening. Numbers are a far cry from the attention cable show The Walking Dead got, but still a winner.

So, just to clarify, is the next episode 4x10 or 4x09 on these forums? I figure it's something we need to be in agreement about since it offsets the rest of the season.

In Adam Horowitz's script photos that he posted on Twitter with "title spoilers", he had:

4x8 "Smash the Mirror"

4x9

"Fall"

4x10

"Shattered Sight"

4x11

"Villains and Heroes"

That was probably before he got the extra hour, but I suppose "Smash the Mirror" was still essentially a single episode, just a longer one.

Edited by Camera One

That was probably before he got the extra hour, but I suppose "Smash the Mirror" was still essentially a single episode, just a longer one.

I was confused because I thought I heard the network address Smash the Mirror as both 4x08 and 4x09. One word against another, I suppose.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I believe they had already written and started working on the other episodes before "Smash the Mirror" became a two hour episode. It would seem to me that to avoid confusion for the set and costume designers and other crew members that they stuck with the originally planned 4.08, 4.09, etc. designations. To adjust them midstream while these departments are planning things could lead to some major problems if one person is thinking 4.09 is one episode and someone else thinks it's the next. Since there were not separate titles for the two parts (unlike "There's No Place Like Home" and "Snow Drifts"), I'd stick with 4.08 as "Smash the Mirror" and 4.09 as "Fall"

• Love 3

We don't make the episode numbering decisions at the forum level - we use the numbers assigned to the show by production, and right now, the numbers coming from the two sources we consult are different (thetvdb.com lists Smash the Mirror as both 04.08 & 04.09, while IMDB.com is listing The Fall as 04.09).

The mods will be keeping an eye on this to see where the dust settles; I suspect that they'll decide on a number before the episode airs.

• Love 3

Was there a reason why they gave the 2-hour finale for 3B two separate episode titles?  If there was a 2-hour which told a complete story, that would be the one.  Was it just so they could use the quip "Snow Falls" vs. "Snow Drifts", and then the Oz-ian "There's No Place Like Home"?  I know that Part 1 and Part 2 were written by two different writing teams... was that the reason?

Edited by Camera One

It's because it is a one hour drama and for syndication purposes, each episode needs to fit the one hour mold. It's why there's a title card at the beginning of each hour for both of the two hour episodes. Why they chose two different titles as opposed to There's No Place Like Home Parts 1 & 2, I don't know. Maybe they just liked the creativity.

I think it also had to do with how the episodes came about. The Once writers likely wrote them as two separate episodes and persuaded the higher ups to air them as a two-hour block on the same night. On the other hand, they wrote Smash the Mirror as an hour-long episode and already had writers working on the next episodes and were planning the story out as a next episode when the ABC guys ordered one of those episodes to be two hours. ABC has been a bit messy with cancellations and struggles lately so it probably helped them a bit, especially on Sunday night. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons we have the weird numbers right now.

Also, it will be interesting to see what happens in 4x09 and how much the writers may have poached from that episode's script to fluff up 4x08.

• Love 1

I wonder if they asked specifically for a lengthened Nov 16th episode, knowing there would be a pre-emption this weekend with no episode.  I just can't understand why they would tack on extra scenes to an already-written episode, rather than build a bigger and grander 2-hour finale for 4A.  It just makes no sense to me.  Especially since the extra material they added for "Smash the Mirror" was generally crap and messed up the flow and logic of the storytelling as well as some characters.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Yes, I mean ABC ordered "extra long episodes" for several of its most popular shows. But I'm pretty sure they told A&E which episode they should make extra long, instead of telling them chose and write which episode they wanted. They have proved with the S3 finale that they can do a "two-hour Once movie" type of episode well, but in this case the episode wasn't meant for it. The plus was that they were pretty much forced to add meaningful character interaction, the downside was that they added it in awkward places.

Was there a reason why they gave the 2-hour finale for 3B two separate episode titles? If there was a 2-hour which told a complete story, that would be the one. Was it just so they could use the quip "Snow Falls" vs. "Snow Drifts", and then the Oz-ian "There's No Place Like Home"? I know that Part 1 and Part 2 were written by two different writing teams... was that the reason?

In Spain they were shown like separated episodes, in different day.

The ratings for the next episode should indicate why the ratings for this one are so low. If it goes up, then this was a case of Thanksgiving weekend busyness or football. If it stays down, then the 2-hour episode was a half-season killer when it comes to live watching.

I'm telling ya, they should've hyped up that Frozen reunion. I think essentially the Frozen novelty has worn off. The new viewers probably feel g***** that their beloved characters were shortchanged. I might think the Thanksgiving weekend had a lot to do with it but the shows over at CBS actually went up? Wouldn't they be impacted by Thanksgiving activities too?

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Jane Espenson cleared up the ep-numbering confusion on Twitter: "Two hour was all 8. This was 9. 10 next week."

Perhaps here?

And a source link for that information: https://twitter.com/JaneEspenson/status/539287156754501633

That's what I always figured. 

Currently, ABC.com lists the two-parter as episodes 8 & 9, as does thetvdb.com, which is the site we use for episode descriptions. The writers may consider it one episode, but we will be going by ABC's episode numbering.

That is a curiously big ratings drop. ABC as a whole was down, but other networks weren't.

I wonder if after the crypt sex, parents decided to watch on DVR so they could better control the family viewing? I'll be interested to see the numbers once DVR is added in.