Type keyword(s) to search

Media for Debris: All Broken Up About It

• Start Topic

Drama about two agents from two different continents, and two different mindsets, who must work together to investigate when wreckage from a destroyed alien spacecraft has mysterious effects on humankind

CAST: Thomas Cadrot, Jennifer Copping, Riann Steele

debris-episode-101-pilot-promotional-pho

NUP_190612_6797.jpg

NUP_190612_2986.jpg

'‘Debris’ Sets Premiere Date As Creator Of New NBC Sci-Fi Drama Draws Parallels To ‘Fringe’'

Debris will premiere on Monday, March 1 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, NBC announced during its first TCA panel on Tuesday. In addition to teasing the upcoming series and unveiling the premiere date, the Debris team also talked parallels to Fringe.

“There’s always going to be my DNA in the show,” Wyman, who serves as executive producer and showrunner said. “But it’s definitely its own thing.”

Like Fringe, Debris follows government officials as they investigate when wreckage from a destroyed alien spacecraft has mysterious effects on humankind. Riann Steele will star as MI6’s Finola Jones and Jonathan Tucker as the CIA’s Bryan Beneventi.

While the series will feature different stories driven by the odd effects of the alien leftovers, Debris will see the relationship between the two leads develop and gain complexity as the show continues.

“Joel has given us this opportunity to kind of come in and discover the debris, but then it really opens it up the rest of the episode and it’s fun for us as actors, for sure, but I think it’ll be fun for audiences to see and speaks to the kind of cable level sci-fi that we’ve become accustomed to that you can have, you can have a bit of both,” said Tucker.

Edited by Trini

Sarayu Blue Joins Apple’s ‘The Shrink Next Door’; NBC’s ‘Debris’ Casts Sebastian Roché
By Denise Petski    February 3, 2021 
https://deadline.com/2021/02/sarayu-blue-apple-the-shrink-next-door-debris-sebastian-roche-1234686648/ 

Sebastian Roché (Fringe) is set for a recurring role on NBC’s new sci-fi drama Debris, starring Jonathan Tucker and Riann Steele, from Almost Human creator J.H. Wyman, Legendary Television & Universal Television. Written by Wyman, Debris is said to be in the vein of The X-Files and Men in Black. In it, two agents (Steele and Tucker) from two different continents and two different mindsets, must work together to investigate when wreckage from a destroyed alien spacecraft has mysterious effects on humankind. Roché will play Brill, an enigmatic MI-6 agent who seems to have his own agenda. Wyman executive produces through his Frequency Films alongside Jason Hoffs. Legendary and Universal Television co-produces with Frequency Films. The project reunites Roché and Wyman, who worked together on Fringe. Roché’s credits also include Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle, HBO’s The Young Pope, Nat Geo’s Genius: Picasso and Michael Bay’s Netflix action pic 6 Underground. He recently recurred on the CW’s Batwoman. Roché is repped by Performers Management and 42, out of London.

NBC's Debris Cast & Creator Talk Show's Global Mystery
BY SAM STONE   FEB 03, 2021
https://www.cbr.com/nbc-debris-cast-creator-roundtable/ 

One of the big shows coming to NBC this television season is Debris, which was created by writer and executive producer J.H. Hyman for Legendary Television and Universal Television. Premiering this March, the upcoming sci-fi show has the wreckage from an alien vessel land around the world prompting a global coalition known as Orbital to form and investigate the debris, which creates strange effects. Leading this investigation is Bryan Beneventi (Jonathan Tucker) and Finola Jones (Riann Steele), operatives from the CIA and MI-6, respectively.

In a roundtable presentation attended by CBR, Wyman, Tucker and Steele teased what fans can expect with the new series, how the show compares to Wyman's previous fan-favorite series Fringe and how the pandemic has impacted production.

"This is a new concept as far as the things that I'm trying to say as an artist about the world that I see," Wyman said, comparing Debris to Fringe. "Fringe was very specific and this is sort of really out there, and I designed this program more to sort of deal with what I'm going through now so the cases can be really fun and exciting, very different. There's always going to be a little of my DNA in the show, and you know I love my fans from Fringe, so there is something in this for them, but it's also its own thing."
Filming Debris in the midst of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in Vancouver as the network and production maintain heightened safety protocols throughout principal photography. Wyman noted, even under the different conditions, that he is still able to craft the show and story he always intended to tell while Steele jokingly observed that many of her and Tucker's scenes had them investigating strange occurrences in open fields, away from cities and crowds anyway.
"I think there's so many ways you can talk about the human condition when you're out [in science fiction]," Wyman concurred in response to a question from CBR about working in sci-fi. "I think there's a lot of people out there that do the little, green men thing better than me; I'm not that guy. I'm more of the sort of how human interactions really shine in [sci-fi] conditions...After I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind, I literally sat on the roof of my mother's trying to find something. I've always been fascinated by space. There's got to [be] something more."

Edited by tv echo

From advance screening of pilot...

Debris: New Sci-Fi Show Offers Interesting Twists – Review
By: John Baker     February 26, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/02/debris-new-sci-fi-show-offers-interesting-twists-review/

Spoiler

There’s something falling from the skies, something very alien, very coveted and something that government organizations and private enterprises want to get their hands on. “Debris” brings together some of the best parts of shows like X-Files and Project Blue Book into a fun sci-fi creation. “Debris” delivers plenty of drama and questions as pieces of an alien ship that’s broken apart in the atmosphere begins raining down fragments, or debris, onto Earth. And the results are both astonishing and terrifying.

It’s a show that I think is well worth your time to give it a spin. If the first episode was any indication, there’s a very good story unraveling in the midst of the strange goings-on.
I found that show very interesting and like the partnership of Finola and Bryan very much. They are to work together, but each has secrets and different directives from their respective governments. Navigating all the hurdles that are in place, as well as dealing with something completely unique and terrifying, as well as these private interests, is an interesting little puzzle to solve for them. I enjoyed this show and if you are into sci-fi in the realms of X-Files and Project Blue Book, “Debris” would seem to have a lot to interest you. Did I mention there’s also a black market plotline running through the whole shebang? Interesting, right?
During a recent NBC/SYFY virtual press junket, I had the opportunity to be involved in an interview with two of the main players of a new sci-fi show. ‘Debris” will premiere on NBC on Monday, March 1 at 10 p.m. (PT).
Joining the interview were Scroobius Pip, who plays Anson Ash, an operative for a shadowy organization, and Norbert Leo Butz, who plays Craig Maddox, a key figure in the CIA who is overseeing debris pickup and more.
“The air of mystery (about Anson Ash) was part of the allure and continues to be part of the allure,” said Pip of his character. “I think of all the characters, he’s the most trickled to the viewer. Mystery is kind of a key part of the show, right?

“Whenever it’s a sci-fi like X-files or Fringe style, rather than Star Trek or Star Wars, the mystery is as key as the majesty. It’s a great thing to play with,” he added.

For his part, Butz noted that his character is a key figure for the CIA in this special division that’s tasked with retrieving the debris from this disintegrating alien spaceship. “I would have had to recruit the Johnathan Tucker character (Bryan Beneventi) and the audience will find out what that story is about,” said Butz. “Johnathan would have come through the military and we understand he’s come through some trauma. My character, who also did his time in special ops work – I probably would have come through academia or MIT and been recruited to the CIA. (Maddox) is kind of a father figure kind of character. People in this field really have to compartmentalize their lives. It’s quite a lonely life, very solitary.”
What helps set “Debris” apart is, in fact, the debris from the alien ship and how that debris impacts people in different ways. Different types of debris affect people differently. “One of the great appeals (of the show) is the fact that the debris has different properties and does different things,” Pip explained. “I’d imagine the viewer’s experience will be similar to my reading of the script. There are all sorts of unusual and strange things. It’s really a space race. My team is racing against the government to get control of this (alien) technology. What part will you get that puts you in the lead? What madness lies ahead?”
“It (Debris) works as a procedural with a new case each week, yet there are, over the whole season, narratives as well,” added Butz. “There’s this one larger narrative – some stories will begin and end during the episode and other storylines will be exposed over the whole season.”

“There’s nothing to say that bits of debris won’t have long-lasting effects if someone comes into contact with it. It’s fascinating,” Pips said.

Edited by tv echo
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

NBC has released the first 10 minutes on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C80fISej5OE

Good to know that it will be on Peacock the next day too.

It got a little pilot-y around eleven and a half minutes in when she was talking about her father's work. I wonder if they didn't go with a flashback just to save money, or because of Covid (keeping cast numbers down), or if it was a preferred directorial choice.

So was the little boy an example of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, with more to come?

(edited)

More media reviews of the pilot of Debris, which debuts tonight (warning: some articles contain spoilers)...

‘Debris’ Review: Unidentified Flying Objects
By John Anderson   Feb. 25, 2021
https://www.wsj.com/articles/debris-review-unidentified-flying-objects-11614283676

It’s a dangerous thing to become infatuated with the first episode of a series, because pilots can be like first dates: Everything is candy and flowers, but what follows can be years of domestic drudgery, boredom and an acrimonious divorce. Still, it’s hard not to warm to NBC’s ambitious “Debris,” which may just sweep viewers off their feet.

Debris Review: NBC's Fast-Paced Alien Drama Spins a Tantalizing Mystery
By Dave Nemetz / February 26 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/02/26/debris-review-nbc-sci-fi-drama-alien-spaceship/

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE: Smart, weird and surprisingly creepy, NBC’s sci-fi drama Debris hits the ground running and doesn’t look back.

Debris Review: NBC's Hollow Alien Spacecraft Drama Crashes on Impact
Kelly Connolly   Feb. 26, 2021
https://www.tvguide.com/news/debris-review-nbc-sci-fi-fringe-jonathan-tucker-riann-steele-jh-wyman/

Debris is an apt title for a show that's missing a few pieces. Former Fringe showrunner J.H. Wyman's new sci-fi drama, premiering March 1 on NBC, has the basic skeleton of an interesting procedural: Two agents, played by Jonathan Tucker and Riann Steele, work together to investigate the scattered wreckage of an alien spacecraft, which affects the people who come into contact with it in bizarre ways. But the show feels disconnected from itself, like it's already on autopilot.

NBC’s ‘Debris’ Puts Eerie Alien Spin on Standard Procedural: TV Review
By Caroline Framke    Feb. 26, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/debris-nbc-review-1234916517/

Halfway through the pilot of “Debris,” I realized I had no idea what might be going on, both because of the show’s deliberately opaque design and its tendency to lapse into the kind of corporate conspiracy jargon that binds too many network procedurals. And yet, by the end of the pilot of “Debris,” I realized that was basically fine by me. While there’s no telling exactly where the new NBC drama will go in ensuing episodes — however convoluted, smart, or else perversely compelling — its launch is at least effectively eerie enough to excuse its otherwise basic instincts.

Debris Review (Spoiler-Free)
Michael Ahr   February 27, 2021
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/debris-review-spoiler-free/

The Debris pilot as a self-contained introduction to a distinctly Wyman-esque premise is nearly flawless, but it will all be for naught if the show’s audience doesn’t quickly feel drawn to the lead characters. ....

NBC’s Debris Feels Like a Throwback to Post-Lost Mysteries
Brian Tallerico February 26, 2021
https://www.rogerebert.com/streaming/nbcs-debris-feels-like-a-throwback-to-post-lost-mysteries

... The premiere admirably drops viewers into the deep end, eschewing much of the typical set-up for what feels more like a third or fourth episode, but it also suffers a bit from superficial, manipulative writing, and an over-familiarity that could make it a tough sell. Most of all, it’s another case of a show that’s incredibly hard to cover or stand-out after only one episode screened for press. The concept and cast are strong enough that it could become another “Fringe,” or it could run out of ideas in a couple of weeks and drag itself along the finish line to cancellation like so many similar shows did about a decade ago.

Debris Is a Promising Sci-Fi Series From Fringe's J.H. Wyman
BY JOSH BELL   FEB. 25, 2021
https://www.cbr.com/debris-fringe-jh-wyman-review/

For now, Debris is worth some patience from sci-fi fans, especially anyone who enjoyed Fringe, which struggled to find its footing in its first season before developing a distinctive voice. Debris is eerie and intriguing, with enough memorable images in the first episode to generate interest in what else Wyman and his fellow creators can come up with. At this point, the possibilities outweigh the shortcomings.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Matt's Inside Line on Prodigal Son, New Amsterdam, Flash, Magnum, Station 19, Chicago Fire, Wanda, Debris and More!
By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 4 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/03/04/prodigal-son-spoilers-season-2-jessica-memoir/ 

Will we see more of Debris‘ bearded (alien?) guy, or was he just for the pilot? –Jeff

Spoiler

The amazingly named Scroobius Pip, who plays Bearded (Alien?) Guy aka Anson Ash, is in fact a series regular –though over the first half of the season, at least, he says he will only have one face-to-face with another main character. “The one interaction I have with [MI6 agent] Finola (Riann Steele) has a huge, recurring impact,” Pip says, “because she realizes I know something she doesn’t. And she has an impact on me, which is debris-related.
” As for what Ash is up to and for whom, Pip would only say he is “part of a mysterious group which we’ll find more and more about as we go along” — and that he and the CIA’s Maddox (Norbert Leo Butz) are on “opposite sides of the battle to find the debris.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 6:27 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope someone else will watch. I’m going to give it a chance.  

I’m watching so that’s 2 people watching 😉. I all seriousness though, I am really liking the show. When I saw that it was developed by Wyman I knew I would really like it. I love “Almost Human”. Then to see that Sebastian Roche was going to have a recurring role was good. He was in  “The Man in the High Castle” which I just loved and “The Young Pope” which I absolutely adored. Now my only fear is that just like “Almost Human” which was on FOX and “Believe” which was on NBC, this will wind up cancelled after the 1st season with questions galore still left open. I like the whole CIA/MI6 component of the show because you know damn well the CIA has absolutely no intention of “sharing info on the debris” with MI6 and likewise the other way, with MI6 sharing what they know. 

Here’s hoping that the show performs well enough so that if all the questions being put out there aren’t answered, we get another season for those answers and character development to take us to a cohesive ending. 

This year's WonderCon@Home, March 26-27, 2021, includes a Debris panel...

Full Schedule: https://www.comic-con.org/wca/2021/athome/complete-programming

Friday, March 26, 2021
4:00pm - 5:00pm    Debris 

Celebrate WonderCon from home with the cast and creator of NBC’s new sci-fi drama Debris as they discuss bringing the show to life. Featuring a sneak peek of the latest episode, join cast members Jonathan Tucker, Riann Steele, Norbert Leo Butz, Scroobius Pip, and creator, showrunner, and executive producer J.H. Wyman for an insightful conversation that gives audiences a look at what’s in store this season. Moderated by TV Guide Magazine’s Damian Holbrook. Debris airs Mondays at 10 PM PT/ET on NBC and streams on Peacock the next day.

ETA: Updated with panel description.

Edited by tv echo

Here's video of Debris panel at WonderCon@Home yesterday (with cast members Jonathan Tucker, Riann Steele, Norbert Leo Butz, Scroobius Pip, and showrunner/ep J.H. Wyman, and moderated by TV Guide’s Damian Holbrook)...

Debris | WonderCon@Home 2021
Comic-Con International     Mar 26, 2021

Also, Debris is apparently one of the shows on the bubble, which surprises me because I thought it was doing well ratings-wise...

Which Broadcast TV 'Bubble' Shows Do You Most Want Saved? Cast Your Vote!
By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 26 2021, 
https://tvline.com/2021/03/26/cancelled-renewed-bubble-tv-show-list-2021-poll-vote/

In the poll below (click here for direct link), you’ll find nearly two dozen scripted comedies and dramas currently on the bubble. After assessing the options, cast your vote for up to THREE (3) shows that you want to be renewed (even though most decisions may not come down until mid-May, or even later in this pandemic-era timeline).
After our poll closes (on Wednesday, March 31 at 5 pm ET), we will dramatically reveal the shows that got the most love. Until then, weigh in below, then drop a comment to make your case for a favorite series!

ETA: You can track Debris' episode ratings week by week here.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Inside Line: Scoop on Chicago Fire, Supergirl, The Resident, All American, AMLT, Debris, Roswell and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / April 5 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/04/05/chicago-fire-spoilers-season-9-brett-ski-trip-dilemma/

I’m loving Debris (Mondays on NBC), though it seems like neither team is on the same page about information. Will Finola and Bryan come to a realization that they should come together and share info they receive? –Roy
I relayed your inquiry to showrunner J.H. Wyman, and he wrote back,

Spoiler

“Hi Roy! First of all, thank you so much for watching Debris; it is very much appreciated. The answer to your question is ‘very soon,’ in a ‘very unexpected way.’ Let’s just say… ‘The truth WILL be out there.’ All the best! JHW.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

NBC Executives On Fate Of ‘Good Girl’s, ‘Zoey’s’, ‘Manifest’, ‘Debris’ & ‘Ellen’s Game of Games’: “All Options Are Going To Be On The Table”
By Alexandra Del Rosario    May 14, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/05/nbc-executives-fate-good-girls-zoeys-manifest-debris-ellens-game-of-games-1234756437/

With a matter of days before NBCUniversal’s virtual upfront presentation on Monday, Good Girls, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Manifest, Debris and Ellen’s Game Of Games have yet to learn about their fate.

The five titles, four of which have been included on Deadline’s NBC bubble shows radar, were left out of a slew of announcements about returning series and new shows. NBC executive Susan Rovner explained why the network has not yet decided where the shows will land.

“We are not going to make our decisions yet on those shows. Some of them are still airing we want to give all our shows an opportunity to finish airing before we make those decisions,” she told Deadline’s Peter White. “We don’t know the exact timing yet, but we’re not making decisions yet on those shows.”
Because of the pandemic-delayed Season 2020-21 start, that also shifted the traditional midseason window, some of the five series might not learn their fates until after the upfronts. Rovner explained that executives “want to give the shows as much information as possible”  in order to “make the most informed decision we can.” When asked about potentially moving the undecided titles to Peacock or other streaming platforms, Rovner said that “everything will be discussed.”

“All options are going to be on the table. Everything will be discussed and I think that’s one of the benefits of this new structure that those conversations can now happen and we could look at what’s best for the show,” she said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

NBC's Debris Creator Explains The Benefits Of Binge-Watching And Answers Coming In The Season 1 Finale
LAURA HURLEY   : MAY. 22. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2567834/nbcs-debris-creator-joel-wyman--binge-watching-peacock-hulu-season-1-finale 

Joel Wyman spoke with CinemaBlend ahead of the Season 1 finale that will air on May 24, and he shared his thoughts on Debris as a binge-watch option:

"Oh, I would love it if people binge-watched it to watch all the details, because I think they'd get so much more from the finale... And so many things are sort of alluded to that you can really enjoy rather than just at face value. It could remind you of certain things… and even fill in suspense… I think it would definitely help the view."

... It's also worth noting that watching the episodes streaming means hearing some mysterious transmissions that play over the closing credits, which can't be heard in the NBC broadcast.

Whether those transmissions are leading to something in the Season 1 finale remains to be seen, but they add another intriguing wrinkle to the mysteries of the first season so far. That said, the Debris creator went on to explain that the finale isn't going to be just an hour of posing new questions and leaving fans hanging without any answers. Joel Wyman previewed:

"There's answers and questions. I've said that the first season is sort of an origin story to allow people to get their hands on the handlebars and sort of go, 'Oh, I know what this show's about.' It's about debris that's coming, these agencies, but really it's about so much more. And I absolutely am committed to giving answers. And I think questions are good, but I don't like questions that don't have answers. And I'm not really afraid, or trying to hide anything as far as not knowing an answer. I think it's just like, this is the way the show is unfolding and the narrative that I'm using to tell it, but I can definitely say that there will be things answered, but going forward, there are healthy questions that allow you to understand that the series is going to expand in very significant and substantial ways."

... At the time of writing, Debris has not yet been renewed for Season 2, so there was no way of knowing ahead of the production of the finale whether or not the show would continue afterward. Joel Wyman settled the question of whether or not the final episode of Season 1 was written to serve as a series finale just in case, saying:

"No, it was not. Not at all. Look, I'm really specific. There's a lot of writers out there that do amazing job of looking at a blank screen and sort of allowing the show to come to them. I'm just not one of those writers. I tend to work in metaphor and in order for me to do that, I need to know where I'm going. And so I have about five seasons. I know the last line of the series. I knew the last line of the first season. I have very specific plans. So hopefully, fingers crossed, we'll be able to continue to tell the story because I think there's so much compelling stuff to come."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, janeta said:

I hope they renew it.

Me as well. I wish we had some idea of when we will know, either way. Hopefully soon now that the season finale has aired. 

• Love 2

I didn't enjoy this season much, but I'm slightly more interested now I know the show runner has 5 seasons mapped out in detail. It's sad to think the whole story will be left untold if it isn't renewed. 

I don't think it will be renewed though. 

(edited)

Debris Boss J.H. Wyman Breaks Down Fringe Star's Surprise Role in Finale, What It Means for (Possible) Season 2
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 24 2021, 
https://tvline.com/2021/05/24/debris-recap-season-1-finale-john-noble-cast-otto/ 

TVLINE | As you’re coming up with this show, you’ve got the guy, you’ve got the girl, they’re partners, one of them has an addled father, and there’s weekly weirdness going on…. How do you decide that this is different enough from Fringe?
Well, for me it is because it’s dealing with different things. Fringe was a family sort of show, and this isn’t what Debris is about. Debris is its own thing. Every time you have a show that’s going to have things that are weird, whether its a science fiction show now or in the past, you can’t escape comparisons, but the thematic things I was concerned with in the era of Fringe are not what I’m concerned with now. This is something that allows me to dig into stories that are perfect for the people that are fans of what I do and the kind of science fiction that I like to do. The last words [of this finale] were, “Let’s begin,” sp a part of the fun was convincing people that this was a certain kind of show and then have it expand to include elements and aspects that you didn’t really anticipate.

I learned a lot from Fringe. It had elements of storytelling that went well, and I’m not going to deny that they’d be in my quiver, but thematically [Debris is] scratching a different itch for me.
TVLINE | Otto at one point puts on goggles with different-colored lenses, and I immediately pulled up pictures of Walter and his Dr. Jacoby glasses.
That’s correct. That’s exactly why we did it.
TVLINE | One thing some readers have been wondering, on a very practical level, is how different pieces of a spacecraft would exhibit such different powers. Do you have an idea of why that is?
You have to try and understand, like, how we could travel intergalactically. I mean, it’s so above our comprehension that these people are probably thousands and thousands and thousands of years ahead of us from a technological standpoint, so while people may think of the ship as “a piece of hardware” and ask, “How could a shovel do this?,” well, that’s not necessarily true. That’s not necessarily true. The pieces could be all connected. They could be intelligent. There could be anything that they imagine, and I hope that people go along with it and realize, “Man, this stuff is opening wormholes in Manhattan, it’s exposing dimensions, it’s manifesting people’s dead children….” There are a lot of things going on, in just no possible way that we can comprehend.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Debris Boss J.H. Wyman Breaks Down Fringe Star's Surprise Role in Finale, What It Means for (Possible) Season 2
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 24 2021, 
https://tvline.com/2021/05/24/debris-recap-season-1-finale-john-noble-cast-otto/ 

• "Debris with its freshman finale not only threw a few more twists at Bryan and Finola, it did so while also unveiling a bit of top-secret casting that surely made fans of series creator J.H. Wyman’s previous sci-fi series, Fringe, geek out."

Heh. Seriously "geek out."😆 --thanks for posting this article, @tv echo!
I wonder if the secret would have leaked in a non-Covid world?
I missed that Otto/Not-Walternate's glasses were 2-colored:

image.thumb.png.162b70967485d8556af90ccf9fe4142f.png

I appreciate the creative (new to me) scifi-world-building of this:

• "Back at the quarry, George explained that the found Debris in fact had the weight of a large building, psychologically tethered as it was to the people gathered around."

But I do get annoyed when fictional writers assign the wrong terms to parts of the eye: 

•  We see that his retinas are like tiny, tiny pinpricks

(Not retinas! Pupils! Maybe "irises" since those are the colored muscles that relax and contract to change the size of the pupils, but NOT "retinas," which are on the back inside of the eyeball.) --end rant --
(No, one more rant: "him" not "he" in: "But this is a love story between he and his wife") --sorry. end ranting for sure now, except to say that these mistakes make me doubt Wyman's vision for this being able to come to fruition

Nevertheless, I do appreciate this reveal, and hope it will come to pass. Wyman sure sounds sure of another season:

• "that creature, the Particle Man, that Sandman, hopefully you understand that there’s a whole bunch of story to tell that will ultimately be connected to George Jones, and we will come to understand he’s being pursued by him. When he wears that shroud of tinfoil to try and block his signal, it’s a bit of a nod to Captain Hook with the alligator who took his hand. It’s basically the idea that this this is pursuing him in a slow pursuit, and George doesn’t want to be found. Let’s put it that way."

and even more so would like to see:

• [TVLINE] Because when I spoke to Riann, she seemed to suggest that the Time Loop episode wasn’t done telling its story...
    [Wyman] She’s correct...

but Wyman continues with "...but..." 😒

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

On one hand I don't mind because I can't honestly say I enjoyed the show. On the other hand, I hate when we get one season building up to a 5 year arc, and.... it's over. It seems like such a waste of something that could possibly have been great. (I'm thinking of Babylon 5. The first season was so bad I literally couldn't watch it. But after that, it got great.)

Sigh. 

• Love 3

Another in a long list of genre shows that I'm never gonna get any answers to all the fuckin questions that have been piling up all season. 

Goodbye Debris. Say Hi to all the other sci-fi shows I never got closure for. Sigh. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It's such a double-edged sword. People complain about showrunners not having multiyear plans, but then they could get pulled at any time before said plan can be carried out, so there's also pressure to wrap some things up earlier in case you get cancelled, but also at the same time leave room for more if you get picked up. They cannot win, IMO.

And yet, of course, like many of you, this is the exact kind of show I tend to be more interested in. Sigh.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

On one hand I don't mind because I can't honestly say I enjoyed the show. On the other hand, I hate when we get one season building up to a 5 year arc, and.... it's over. It seems like such a waste of something that could possibly have been great. 

That's exactly how I feel.  I slogged through watching the entire season, not because it was good but just on the gamble it could be once it settled in and focused instead of being all over the place.  I did like the actors and characters.

• Love 3

I would like to know if the pandemic forced changes that effected choices and ultimately impacted the storytelling.
But Wyman would not likely want to talk about that, because it would sound like whining or sour grapes.

The title of this thread could have been made up by a time traveler.

• LOL 2

Okay.
I just watched the first episode of season 3 of The Kominsky Method, which just dropped on Netflix today
--which is not a "genre" (scifi etc.) show, so might not be on the radar of many on this board.

But it was so superior in its writing (and acting, and directing) to anything I've seen in the last year, including Debris, that I am not so verklempt about the cancellation of Debris anymore.

If I am honest with myself, Debris had great potential, but it was unrealized.

The last episode of season 2 of The Kominsky Method was shown in the fall 2019, and yet with just a minute of recaps, the audience had everything it needed to laugh and cry and cry and laugh with the new episode of the new season.

Again, Wyman's Debris had great potential, but he needs to work with better colleagues in the future who can help him realize that kind of potential.
It's a shame that all the efforts of the cast and crew of Debris were for nought --all for the want of a good story editor. 

I hope the good parts of Debris will help land the cast and crew new gigs. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If it makes you feel any better, I am sure in alternate universe it was renewed.  Where is Shelby when we need him?

Oh yes! Alternate Universe musings always make me feel better!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What??!!? Just like that??!? Not even any talk of "shopping it around"??

And friggin Manifest churns on. 😠

I keep thinking Manifest needs to have a proper ending so we know what happened before it gets cancelled, but it's the energizer bunny so far. 

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Crap. I liked this show. Way better than Manifest

Yep, I watch both and looked forward to Debris every week. I watch Manifest, but just so I don't miss how it turns out, if it ever does before it gets cancelled. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But it was so superior in its writing (and acting, and directing) to anything I've seen in the last year, including Debris, that I am not so verklempt about the cancellation of Debris anymore.

Can you give us an idea of what kind of show it is? I'm looking for something new. 

(edited)

It seems Wyman isn't very active on social media, so I guess we wouldn't know if he show was being "shopped around."

18 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Can you give us an idea of what kind of show it is? I'm looking for something new. 

The Kominsky Method is a dramedy played by aging actors, about aging actors. All I can say is that "it's better than the sum of its parts." It's on Netflix. 
ETA: Finished it. It's fabulous and just the right length.
Where Debris went wrong (IMO -- lack of story editing) The Kominsky Method is perfect.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
On 5/28/2021 at 8:18 PM, shapeshifter said:

It seems Wyman isn't very active on social media, so I guess we wouldn't know if he show was being "shopped around."

The Kominsky Method is a dramedy played by aging actors, about aging actors. All I can say is that "it's better than the sum of its parts." It's on Netflix. 
ETA: Finished it. It's fabulous and just the right length.
Where Debris went wrong (IMO -- lack of story editing) The Kominsky Method is perfect.

What the fuck does this show have to do with Debris? Just asking?

(edited)
10 hours ago, ROEHUNTER said:

What the fuck does this show have to do with Debris? Just asking?

Fair question. I hesitated to respond for that reason, but as a librarian it goes against my training to leave a question unanswered, LOL.
Anyway, if you click on the (too pale, IMO) curvy arrow on the posts, it will eventually take you to the beginning of that discussion (https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/110362-media-for-debris-all-broken-up-about-it/?tab=comments#comment-6809322)

image.png

ETA: In hindsight, I should have taken my reply to the Small Talk thread: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/110363-small-talk-salvaged-goodies

Edited by shapeshifter

If it's truly one and done and not being shopped around, I would really appreciate an interview with the creator to give viewers the answers. I understand he's most likely pissed but that's no reason to punish us.

Honestly if I wasn't so lazy, I'd create a website database of all the TV series canceled before getting a proper ending and have answers to all the questions left dangling. But again, lazy. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Love 3
On 5/28/2021 at 10:18 PM, shapeshifter said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm enjoying it so far 😊

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Melina22 said:
On 5/28/2021 at 9:18 PM, shapeshifter said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm enjoying it so far 😊

Perhaps my better suggestion: Let's post other shows on the Small Talk thread that we all might enjoy as we go through the process of getting over the cancelation of Debris. The thread title seems to welcome them: Small Talk: Salvaged Goodies

• Love 1
On 5/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, Badsamaritan said:

If it's truly one and done and not being shopped around, I would really appreciate an interview with the creator to give viewers the answers. I understand he's most likely pissed but that's no reason to punish us.

Honestly if I wasn't so lazy, I'd create a website database of all the TV series canceled before getting a proper ending and have answers to all the questions left dangling. But again, lazy. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Wow, that's a good idea!

(edited)
31 minutes ago, ROEHUNTER said:
On 5/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, Badsamaritan said:

Expand  

Wow, that's a good idea

And a lot of work!

I have the technical ability and wherewithal to create something like that, but I’m too tired, LOL. 

Anyway, if Debris was to get a new platform, Wyman should accept some fresh input from the right folks, and I don’t see how the (real) universe would align to make that happen. I illustrated a book for someone and it was a total disaster —published, and good quality, but we don’t speak anymore. Creative minds don’t always meet as you would think. An example of this is the failed sci-fi TV series, FlashForward, that had creative differences between the author of the book on which the series was based and who was involved in the scripts, and reportedly everyone else working on the TV series. Different visions. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2