Type keyword(s) to search

Flack - General Discussion

Rahul
  • Start Topic

I'm surprised there isn't already a topic for this awesome British dramedy. I thought there may be some renewed interest seeing as how Amazon picked it up after Pop decided not to air season 2 in the US. 

I just finished watching the first season and I was very pleased with not only the casting and acting, but the writing as well. For me this show strikes the perfect balance between dark and the comedically absurd. The dialogue is so sharp and witty at times (especially delivered by PR head honcho Caroline) that I find myself frequently rewinding to rewatch a scene.

• Love 5
(edited)

I've seen season one but as best as I've been able to determine season two isn't on Amazon Prime. Not yet anyway. Whatever, this show probably needs to do better publicity in the U.S. Anna Paquin's presence doesn't seem to be an automatic draw.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I just came across this on my Amazon this weekend. It looked as though it was a new show so I’m a bit surprised to see that y’all saw it last year. I enjoyed it and hope Amazon finds enough traction so that they release S2. 

• Love 2

This was a good show but Anna Paquin was so stiff. Am I imagining that? Does anyone else feel her acting was flat? I know she was trying to convey cold, hard ruthlessness but it didn't really work for me.

Still looking forward to season 2

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Adgirl said:

This was a good show but Anna Paquin was so stiff. Am I imagining that? Does anyone else feel her acting was flat? I know she was trying to convey cold, hard ruthlessness but it didn't really work for me.

Still looking forward to season 2

No, I think you are spot on calling her stiff. Her character was supposed to be a tough cookie, but she acted as though she was dead inside. I thought from some of her prior roles that she would have been able to convey more than one emotion. 

• Love 2

Currently on episode 3 or 4. I can't believe episode 2 with Summer's mom pressing her daughter to do that sex video even though she's uncomfortable and a virgin.  Then mom going ahead while dad was uncomfortably watching his wife eat some other gals' muff and the daughter had her back turned. I mean didn't Summer think about that when she agreed to the video?

Anna Paquin has been one of my favourite celebs and I remember watching her in the Piano and Fly Away Home when she was young. I think she's just portraying the fact that the actual character is plain cold.

• Love 3

Count me in as someone to whom Amazon just started pushing this as a new show. (Amazon is the worst at getting content in front of me that I would like ... do they even have an algorithm? I feel like I've seen ten thousand ads for that John Krasinski thing and for Hunters, two shows that I will never, ever have any interest in watching.)

I tentatively like it. I was expecting it to be a little trashier based on the premise (anyone remember Dirt? kinda like that), but I'm fine with the fact that it's not. I like all the leads and secondary characters.

It took me a couple of episodes to warm up to Anna Paquin, but I think it's mostly because her accent is all over the map, or I'm perceiving it as being all over the map due to all the hours of True Blood that reside in my brain. I know in RL she's New Zealander by way of Canada by way of America with an English husband. And they give the character a decent explanation for the accent (a similarly multi-country family). But I feel like I'm hearing "Sookie" and "London" in the same sentences sometimes. 

Even warmed-over plotlines like "she says she wants a baby but clearly does not and keeps taking her BC pills" seem like fresh-ish takes. 

I genuinely don't know what's going to happen with her and her husband, or if she's going to bang her NA 'sponsor'. 

I like her bitchy co-worker. 

(I'm not sure how long the first season is, but I've made it to the Bradley Whitford episode, but not through it.) 

• Love 3

Just discovered and whipped through this series over the weekend.  I really need to check how many episodes there are before viewing - I was surprised that the season ended so quickly.  I'm reading here there is a season 2 somewhere that Amazon hasn't released....good to know as I (like many others) have pretty much watch the entire internet.  

I liked it, I like how they do a scandal du jour like Scandal used to do, I don't mind the steady back round family stories, but when they start to take over the show - I lose interest. (I'm looking at you Scandal)

• Love 3

I too blasted through it in one sitting. I like the edgy, sharp writing and the fast pace.

What I don't like is when logic kicks in, and I can't get beyond things like: Why didn't she just check herself into a hotel instead of sleeping in the office? Or is that an on-the-nose way of saying work is all she has left? And the birth control pills -- I'm so tired of the no-don't-communicate-even-though-it-would-be-easy-to-do-so trope. She could've just said "I'm not ready yet." Earlier the boyfriend seemed to be on that page. Rolled my eyes through those plot points.

And I agree with the fellow NA guy -- Eve's entire manner of speaking is tedious. (Love the actress, though. And she did a great job with the role.)

• Love 2

Just binged season 2. WOW. Just when you think Robyn can’t possibly get any worse, she does. If she isn’t at rock bottom now, I can’t even imagine what rock bottom would look like.
It wasn’t too much of a surprise to see that Robyn’s and Eve’s mothers are both real pieces of work.

• Love 4

Season 2 is killer. 

Eve is the stand out this season. Every one of her withering takedowns is gold. Her fashion was high but not always the best suited. Her outfit for the bridal shower looked like she was going to a club opening. 

Anna Paquin continues to deliver a weird, stilted performance.

Sophie O. is having too much fun as Caroline and I love it.

• Love 3

Binged it as well.

Robyn and Eve both have terrible mothers. The issue is that Eve can still deal with her but Robyn's commit suicide and she has that on her conscious.

Robyn's sister has an eating disorder which is her way of dealing with her mom's issues.

I felt bad for Melody but I loved the way Eve stood up for her.  Loved that Caro could smell Robyn's bullshit.

I hope Caro can at least retain the PR firm her stepson is an arse.

I don't get why no one has suggested Robyn check in herself to a rehab facility.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Adgirl said:

Her fashion was high but not always the best suited. Her outfit for the bridal shower looked like she was going to a club opening. 

I think that was the point. She wasn’t on board with the bridal shower so she wore something as far away from the floaty florals one would expect.

• Love 3

Watched the first season earlier this week, just in time to catch season 2 :) 

Its a really fun/ entertaining show, I enjoyed both seasons. The more background on people’s families was nice…. It makes sense why they are the way they are.  Robyn really spiraled this season, hopefully season 3 will lead to her getting some help. 
It’s fun to see all the crazy scandals and how far they have to go to cover it up. 

I wish we had a few more episodes this season, but am glad to see they got picked up for a third.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I think that was the point. She wasn’t on board with the bridal shower so she wore something as far away from the floaty florals one would expect.

You're probably right. Just wish it had been an outfit that suited her...fair women shouldn't wear black and heavy shadow in the daytime. She looked like a vampire from the 90s.

• Love 1

I'm so bummed that this is such a short season AND that there isn't a forum!

I'm adoring this show, and while it is hard to say exactly why at times?  I think it's mostly watching sharp competent woman solve things , almost always in a way I didn't think of.

Just found it and it's already over.

I did not see that final scene coming.

Of course after that final scene?  I do envision a long hospital recovery that eventually clears her system of drugs.  That's fine, whatever gets her back to the firm.

• Love 1
(edited)

I’m loving this show too. The women are smart and competent, even when they’re falling apart. Who’s writing this? Because the show really does have a grasp on just how bad the backlash against women is while at the same time showing us women’s heartfelt reactions to the circumstances of their lives. 
And all of it with the tried and true, trick and trashy hook of celebrities behaving badly and the fixers who janitor up the mess in our increasingly insane culture. Flack is kind of brilliant. 
Was anyone else shocked by Robin’s betrayal in the final episode? I have to say that boss lady is the last person that I’d betray. And was the final shocker a metaphor too far? 
Did anyone else love the scenes between Caroline and her ex husband both when he broke the news and in grief tinged longing at his funeral? 

Edited by AuntieMame
Fixing typos and adding thoughts about this wonderful show.
  • Love 2

I wasn’t shocked. She is obviously a bad person. Her sister was smart to get her away from her children. 

In fact all of the woman are basically horrible except for Melody who aspires to be horrible.

1 hour ago, Feech said:

I wasn’t shocked. She is obviously a bad person. Her sister was smart to get her away from her children. 

In fact all of the woman are basically horrible except for Melody who aspires to be horrible.

I don't know if I'd say they are bad people... they do bad things... but also have drug addictions that turn good people into not so great people, work a stressful job that is basically lying all the time... I mean, I guess it takes some ambiguous morals to do that kind of job... but were they that way before, or did the job and the addictions push them that way? 

Not that it is an excuse for Robin's actions.... but her addiction problems/mental health issues certainly help her along this destructive route. I don't think she's trying to be purposefully malicious... but she's so screwed up, it's screwing up anyone she comes in contact with. 

• Love 2
On 6/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, AuntieMame said:

Did anyone else love the scenes between Caroline and her ex husband both when he broke the news and in grief tinged longing at his funeral? 

Yes! Amazing chemistry from the minute they were on screen together!

• Love 1

Is it me or did anyone get the vibe that the piss ant son desired Caroline as well as wanting to destroy her?

I bet if Caroline offered to sleep with him he would just do it to get revenge sex.

And why didn't they even show the reading of the will but just assumed that the guy has the majority share? I mean to me it sounded like he was lying to get even with her for a) marrying his father and b) outing her from the firm. The ex husband said to Caroline that she was taken care of. She would have at least made sure that his claim of the majority was legit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I agree that the nasty son desires Caroline as part of his stew of overwhelming emotions regarding her but I can’t see Caroline ever sleeping with him. She just doesn’t hate herself that much and sleeping with him would do nothing but allow him to vent his hatred on her in triumph. It wouldn’t get Caroline anything except contemptuous humiliation. She has it right when she says that she’s going to war and in this particular war no part of the battlefield is in bed. I’m not saying that Caroline is above using sex in different circumstances but this is the wrong situation. 

• Love 4
On 6/30/2021 at 2:13 PM, backhometome said:

Robyn is so unlikeable but I suppose thats the point.

I was loving the Eve/Melody friendship this season. 

I find Ruth very annoying. 

I loved it when Eve stood up for Melody in the scene where Caroline fired Robyn and we were misdirected to think Melody was unfairly getting the ax and that this would be one more line of guilt in Robyn’s self-hatred and self-destruction. I adored it when Eve saved Melody. Caroline didn’t seem that surprised either. In fact, I might watch this episode again that was so good. 
Oh, and was anyone else expecting something more about the unappreciated assistant that provided the narrative through line for the episode? I was hoping for some justice for her I guess. Are you allowed to treat assistants like that these days? 

I'm so grateful Sam Neill is still left for me to crush on, since Sean Connery is gone.  I LOVED his relationship with Caroline and that whole story arc.  He still looks hot.  

Maybe Caroline could give Robyn a second chance and send her to the New York office for a while, after rehab.  She could send Melody with her, just for a few episodes.  Then they're back to London and more shenanigans with the Brits.  

And as screwed up as it sounds, I find Tom very attractive.  I just think he's Robyn's end game, even though they're both addicts, and that's a guaranteed disaster.  

I really liked both seasons and will be waiting impatiently for season 3.  

• Love 1

I watched both seasons this weekend.  I enjoy so much about this show but will admit that Robyn is the character in whom I am the least interested.  Too many cliches and have seen it all before.  Love Eve and Carolyn and, like others, adored Sam Neill (still dreamy...).  Melody can become a bit tedious but overall brings a different perspective to the show.

The one thing that saddens me is that there is no/little remorse for destroying the lives of innocent bystanders (teacher husband of face-lift woman, guy punched by model, Armitage, etc.).  However, that rings true to me as many elites don't care about those they hurt as they pursue their own power or wealth (and I did write "many" and not "all").  

So many of the "fixes" were creative and entertaining.  And ironic.  If the footballer had been willing to be true to himself he would have been the "face" of gay athletes.  Instead he is stuck in a marriage he didn't want while his straight friend will get all of the noteriety and money from being the first out footballer.  Oh, and the white couple with the biracial baby.  On another show (90-Day Fiance) a couple had a biracial baby and the wife tried to portray it as a past-generation genetic throwback which this show actually touched upon.  Nobody believed it about the 90-Day Fiance baby either.

• Love 2

I'm only halfway through season 2. 

I've been a fan of Sam Neill's since 1980. He still looks good. I loved his relationship with Caroline. And it was nice to see him co-starring with Anna Paquin again. 

I think the stepson has unrequited love for Caroline. 

I don't like Eve with Gabriel and glad she walked out of dinner ... with the steak and bottle of wine.