Type keyword(s) to search

Renovation Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I agree.  Sarah's designs don't look like they belong in a home, especially with her choice of no color.  They're more like what you'd find in an office.

Well no colour has been the trend on HGTV and in newbuilds/flips for the past decade or so. People who claim to be designers like it because it requires no thought. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Well no colour has been the trend on HGTV and in newbuilds/flips for the past decade or so. People who claim to be designers like it because it requires no thought. 

I blame Sarah Richardson and Candace Olsen and their obsession with white.  While I liked a lot of their work, and appreciated that they were professionals who knew what the were doing, they put white everywhere, all the time. 

Before them, I remember a show called "Get Color!"  The designer helped the homeowners pick colors for their rooms using a color wheel made up of their favorite things, like the beach or New Orleans.  I didn't always love the end results, but at least color was featured and encouraged.

And I learned things!  She taught us about complementary and adjacent colors, tones, and balance.  She taught us that colors look different when juxtaposed with other colors, so keep that in mind when evaluating paint swatches.  I learned about light and lighting, and to think of how you use the room. 

I liked learning how to use color, and more people probably would choose color if they knew how.  This show, and HGTV, is so commercial now, that it's just about flipping and airbnb's, so color is frowned upon in favor of colorless neutrals.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, RoxiP said:
23 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

"just curious"?

Stop watching?

I have decided that it's "rubbernecking" -- which is ironic because I deliberately do not look at crash sites on the highway. But on this show, I am here for it! 😜

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 10/17/2022 at 8:41 PM, izabella said:

I blame Sarah Richardson and Candace Olsen and their obsession with white. 

I liked learning how to use color, and more people probably would choose color if they knew how.  This show, and HGTV, is so commercial now, that it's just about flipping and airbnb's, so color is frowned upon in favor of colorless neutrals.

I don't remember Sarah being that in love with white. It was her show that taught me to buy my fabrics (like curtains an stuff) and then take the colors off that for the walls and furniture and other things. So she definitely did color at some point (it has been years since I've seen her reruns so i could be mis-remembering).

I love how several different paint companies sponsor ads on HGTV and Magnolia and are always showing full, deep color rooms and then property brothers comes back on and it is all gray (that reads purple on my tv) and white. Must be frustrating to all those paint companies that keep trying to get us to buy colored paints. (I have a gray family room, but my other painted rooms are yellow, blue, orange, green, teal, and aqua so clearly my house will never sell until I paint out all the rooms to white or gray or greige)

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

I don't remember Sarah being that in love with white.

Me either. Reruns of her shows appear on the Dabl channel that showed up on my cable lineup in the last year. Sometimes I tune in because I like her taste and style. She seems to like color just fine.

I do enjoy seeing the Sand Hill Cranes this close.   

So they claim they want to finish things like the main en suite, but yet they're still whining about what size tub to get, and where to put it.    I think they don't have a supply chain problem as much as a constant change order problem.   Any guesses about how much the rental estate costs a month? 

• Love 1

We’re their friends living in a house or a resort?  And this is not their “forever” home?  So why are they spending years building it and being so specific with all their choices?  

They have no idea what they’ve ordered.  Not sure which of them is supposed to be the “project manager” on this project but they have no idea what they are doing. 

Quentin is a spoiled brat.  They spend  a gazilllion dollars on his riding “career” and even move to FL so he can pursue it but yet he can’t help them sort through some boxes. And they just laugh when he is rude to them.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Think all of their children have that attitude.  Letting Lincoln have his hammock in the bedroom design is one aspect of that, along with the latitude that they gave the girls in designing their own bedrooms.  Both of those boys look exactly like a mini me Sarah.

• Like 2

The entire Florida house was bizarre.    First of all, the neighbors must totally hate them for the noise, the filming, and everything else that comes with the reno, then they put that awful second story on.   I hope none of the neighbors were trying to sell their homes during the remodeling period, because you know they couldn't.  

This reno house reno, and the resort and other renos they've done don't show them as efficient, having a time line, ordering what they need at the right time, and everything that goes wrong is a surprise.   Maybe that's for the show, and just a story line, but it's pretty consistent. 

Tonight is episode 12, so I guess the season finale.    I have to laugh at the cable guide description, they're arguing custom finishes vs. resale for the Florida house.    I'm guessing the oldest son will move to Europe to train and compete in a few years, and they won't need the Florida house to live with him for the five or so months a year he competes in Florida.    That house was always a resale project, just like every other project they've ever done. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I am watching some of last week's show, and had to laugh when Sarah says because there's an empty lot next door to the house, they can put in big windows on that side for the view.    I would fall over laughing if someone bought the lot next door, and put up a house that is as tall as their house, and blocks everything out.    If you want a clear view over the empty lot, then you buy that lot too.  

Sarah picks the most ridiculous finishes for this house.   Limestone for the living room floor, and they keep saying how soft it is?   Wood floor materials for the ceiling, and she thinks this is all good for resale?   

Actually, they fooled me again, next week is Episode 13.   So, this isn't the season finale.    

Even if I could afford one of their houses, I wouldn't even think about buying it.    Everything is Sarah's taste, isn't what is the preferred finishes for local homes.    The limestore floors were a terrible idea, wouldn't that be easy to stain, and porous?  It's just a repeat of the awful idea of putting hardwood floors in the Bahama property, and having to take a lot out to put in tile.   

Then, tile on all of the floors is a trend for a reason, durable, water proof, and depending on the colors you pick, can look great.   The upstairs rooms don't have egress windows, and that's a dangerous idea.     Since they took the screen room off of the pool, then their indoor/outdoor living idea will be full of all kinds of bugs.    They'll also have to clean the pool a lot.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 10/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, MaKaM said:

I love how several different paint companies sponsor ads on HGTV and Magnolia and are always showing full, deep color rooms and then property brothers comes back on and it is all gray (that reads purple on my tv) and white. Must be frustrating to all those paint companies that keep trying to get us to buy colored paints. (I have a gray family room, but my other painted rooms are yellow, blue, orange, green, teal, and aqua so clearly my house will never sell until I paint out all the rooms to white or gray or greige)

I automatically downgrade anyone who claims to be a designer to Lazy Talentless Hack if they claim the whole house needs to, for the lack of a better word, match. Houses don't need to follow themes, the kichen and bathrooms should not share the same countertops and cabinets, and rooms can look and feel large and light when not white/light grey/greige.  

A great HGTV programme idea: have people who think they require open concept white/grey home live in a place that has none of that for 2 weeks. Also one where there is some sort of research into how much time families and friends actually spend communicating in open concept houses, and if their children really are better off.

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have to laugh at the cable guide description, they're arguing custom finishes vs. resale for the Florida house.  That house was always a resale project, just like every other project they've ever done. 

Agreed. After all the talk about custom features for their house it's a head scratcher when they turn around and talk about resale, particularly since they just refused an offer to sell the resort and then show all the ongoing maintenance that needs to be done at the resort. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Agreed. After all the talk about custom features for their house it's a head scratcher when they turn around and talk about resale, particularly since they just refused an offer to sell the resort and then show all the ongoing maintenance that needs to be done at the resort. 

Every time Bryan says it's their forever home he slips in how whatever feature they're putting in will also be great for resale. HGTV must have its own definition of forever, because the Property Brothers use the same shortened one. 

• Love 1

Tonight is bizarre, even for this show.   Bryan goes to Canada to do a show with Scott McGillivray, leaving Sarah to finish the house.   Sarah is working on the house wearing white jeans and top.    So, I'm guessing her work was only for the filming?   

The upstairs hallways are so narrow.   The upstairs looks like a maze, and crowded. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I just caught the ep before this one and Sarah actually made me lol! It was after she conquered the post she was taking down she joked that she was going to mount it over their bed. I've got to admit, this makes me wonder if she has hidden depths. Maybe Bryan his holding her back lol ;)

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight is bizarre, even for this show.   Bryan goes to Canada to do a show with Scott McGillivray, leaving Sarah to finish the house.   Sarah is working on the house wearing white jeans and top.    So, I'm guessing her work was only for the filming?   

The upstairs hallways are so narrow.   The upstairs looks like a maze, and crowded. 

I was taking a break from football looking for something else to watch. I read the onscreen description of this show and decided to watch reruns of Frasier instead. Sounds like I made the right decision. ☺️

• Love 2
On 11/13/2022 at 6:46 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree.  Bryan repeated a few times that he had agreed to do the filming in Canada before and that he had figured the house would be done by then. He looked awfully happy to be leaving, however. So he takes the kids in the RV up to Canada where he drops them off at friends and family for a visit, then she flies up to Canada to deliver them to their various summer camps.  Then back to Florida, with a short visit to the Bahamas to "check" on the resort.

They do not act like they are in love anymore.  Seems more like a business arrangement now to me. Very different from earlier seasons. Yes, I know that people change after years of marriage, but he drops so many hints that makes me think he is either going through a midlife crisis, or he's just done.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

then she flies up to Canada to deliver them to their various summer camps.  Then back to Florida, with a short visit to the Bahamas to "check" on the resort.

He stayed in Canada for six weeks.  Last week's episode didn't show him visiting the Bahamas.  It finished with him returning from Canada.

Bryan and Scott are doing a competion show, called Renovation Resort.    I'm sure it will end up on HGTV, but for now it's only showing in Canada. 

Here's the description:

"In the series, Scott enlists his “frenemy” Bryan to rehab his recently purchased lakeside resort. But Scott and Bryan won’t be doing all the work themselves. Instead, they’ll enlist four teams of contractor/design duos, who will each renovate one of the resort’s four waterfront cabins. At the end of the season, one team will go home with a life-changing prize.

Renovation Resort will airs in spring 2023 on HGTV Canada. So far, there’s no word on whether it was also be shown HGTV in the U.S."

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
On 11/15/2022 at 4:32 PM, DonnaMae said:

He stayed in Canada for six weeks.  Last week's episode didn't show him visiting the Bahamas.  It finished with him returning from Canada.

It was Sarah who made the trip to the Bahamas.

• Like 1

Yes, Scott did rehab the house, and the cottages (which were pretty big to be called 'cottages'), so I'm wondering if he bought another lakeside resort for the show?   I do think the main house on that one was a big rental home too.  At least that was my guess. 

Vacation House Rules: Scott knows best (or something like that) was the U.S. title.   They showed some of the reno of the lakeside resort, and the other half was spliced in, as though they were doing the original Vacation House Rules reno, at the same time as the cottages at the resort. 

The new one is Renovation Resort, 7 episodes (at least on HGTV Canada, they've changed the Renovation Island episodes around a lot for the U.S. broadcast, and it screws up the timelines).  With four teams of contractors duos, with the winning cabin duo winning the grand prize.    I don't see any way that this won't eventually air in the U.S.

So on tonight's new episode, they showed the kid's rooms.   They looked like fancy hotel rooms at a very expensive resort,  not kid's rooms.   And why don't they do walk-in closets?  Not the big cupboards they do instead.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Who is going to take care of that gigantic fish tank when Quintin is gone?  Those bedrooms that Sarah designed for the boys are very adult looking, not something that I would think an average teen male would like or appreciate.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, cameron said:

Those bedrooms that Sarah designed for the boys are very adult looking, not something that I would think an average teen male would like or appreciate.

I agree.  Where was the sports memorabilia that all teen boys have in their rooms?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I agree.  Where was the sports memorabilia that all teen boys have in their rooms?

What "all" boys? You mean the hetero monolith that really doesn't exist? I do admit ALL the children's rooms looked like hotel rooms, not where they live permanently. 

On 11/21/2022 at 6:17 AM, cameron said:

Who is going to take care of that gigantic fish tank when Quintin is gone?  Those bedrooms that Sarah designed for the boys are very adult looking, not something that I would think an average teen male would like or appreciate.

I'm sure they have a pool service, and a fish tank service.    And regular cleaning crews, landscape crews, and any other maintenance they need. 

• Like 1
On 11/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, RoxiP said:

Perhaps they have a service that is going to come in and take care of the fish tank.  You don't honestly think Quintin will soil his hands by doing manual labor do you?

I'm pretty sure Quintyn soils his hands daily taking care of his horse!

• Love 2
On 11/24/2022 at 10:30 AM, janey99 said:

I'm guessing that the horses are taken care of by grooms, and Quintyn shows up to ride only.  For someone who just "came home from the barn" he was awfully clean.   However, like everything else I'm guessing it was staged for filming.  Mom and Dad pay for everything.   

My bet is Quintyn isn't doing anything  but riding, and filming.  Filming something like this is a full-time job.    That's one reason a lot of shows have a featured contractor, and then they disappear, or are only on occassionally, filming with retakes, and staged scenes is an all day affair.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm guessing that the horses are taken care of by grooms, and Quintyn shows up to ride only.   

At that level, the horses are often leased, or owned by sponsors.   The barns are full service, including grooms at shows and at the barn. 

I'm virtually certain he's the owner of Haydn.  I've been at shows where he's been announced as "owned and ridden by."

I board at a full service barn.  I still tack my own horses.  It is a mixed bag.

• Useful 2

So next sunday is the season finale.     Bryan is still saying this is a temporary house.   So, why put the second story on?  And the giant fish tank?   And all of the personal touches?   I guess that explains why the bedrooms look like they are staged, to appeal to the buyer pool.   That giant crab by the pool is bizarre.   

However, the maze of rooms upstairs isn't a selling point. 

Quintyn may be the owner, but I can only imagine how much Bryan and Sarah have financed for the horse, training, and how much is ahead.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/24/2022 at 10:30 AM, janey99 said:

True.  I was being rude and I apologize and on the last few shows (for some reason I couldn't get Discovery + to load on my Firestick for the last few weeks and it wasn't until I went on vacation and signed myself on to that tv that it occurred to me to sign myself out and in to reload it on my Firestick...that was a long sentence that was pointless, sorry) I have noticed that he has been helping out around the house more.  

They do have pretty children.

On 11/24/2022 at 8:17 PM, janey99 said:

I'm virtually certain he's the owner of Haydn.  I've been at shows where he's been announced as "owned and ridden by."

I board at a full service barn.  I still tack my own horses.  It is a mixed bag.

Brian said on the show that I watched last night (one of three I binge watched) that he owns his horse.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just caught up on the last couple of episodes and couldn’t believe the boys’ bedrooms - what a disappointing, personality-zero hotel room Sarah has given her children. I thought the girls’ rooms were sad - these were worse. The boys’ deadpan expressions told me they couldn’t believe it either. Just SAY you’re designing “their” rooms for television (and/or resale) vs. forcing your children to act on camera like it’s what they want. Blah.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I didn't care for the finished decorating job that Sarah did on the Florida home. Thought it was cold and not  very inviting. Not a fan of the very contemporary look.  Thought it was a throw back to the very early 1960's.

• Love 1

I didn't care for the finished decorating job that Sarah did on the Florida home. Thought it was cold and not  very inviting. Not a fan of the very contemporary look.  Thought it was a throw back to the very early 1960's.

I agree.  Lack of any color isn't friendly.  I'm also not fond of her vases, lamps, etc.  My favorite designer is Erin Napier.  Her homes are always colorful and inviting.  

Edited by DonnaMae
Added words.
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I agree, the Florida house is for a flip house, so bland to appeal to the largest buyer pool.     It looked like a showroom at a home furnishings store.     The kid's rooms had no personal items displayed.   I'm guessing Quintyn wins at horse shows, so where are the ribbons and trophys?  

Also, the closets should have been bigger, and none of them shared.    I live where we have tornado warnings, and the walk in closet without windows is a great place for shelter in a storm. 

Also, the closets in the kid's rooms were way too small for a future buyer with a big wardrobe, and if a walk-in is big enough you can put dressers in there, instead of in the room.  

I can't ever afford anything like that house, but if I did, I would get rid of the astroturf crab by the pool, and get outdoor furniture that would be easy to drag into the hangar, or somewhere secure, for bad weather, and that area gets a lot of it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

I think they'll have a hard time selling it for much, if any, profit. The comps in the area would have to be totally disregarded and this viewed as a very special circumstance, which is tough. They must have put at least a million or more into it.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I think they'll have a hard time selling it for much, if any, profit. The comps in the area would have to be totally disregarded and this viewed as a very special circumstance, which is tough. They must have put at least a million or more into it.

They also made money selling another season of their show, in the U.S. and Canada.   It's also another way to promote their company, so more TV shows (the reno on the lake house resort with Scott McGillivray is one), plus appearances at home shows.   I don't know about selling a house in the U.S. that's owned by Canadians.    

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cameron said:

I didn't care for the finished decorating job that Sarah did on the Florida home. Thought it was cold and not  very inviting. Not a fan of the very contemporary look.  Thought it was a throw back to the very early 1960's.

Interesting you say it's a throwback and yet contemporary lol. 

25 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't know about selling a house in the U.S. that's owned by Canadians.    

I could be wrong, but I don't think it makes a squat bit of difference what the nationality of the owner is. Whoever owns clear title can sell it. Taxes on any profit are a whole other matter.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it makes a squat bit of difference what the nationality of the owner is. Whoever owns clear title can sell it. Taxes on any profit are a whole other matter.

I meant the taxes, and wonder if they have to pay if they make a profit here, or Canada or both.   However, I bet so much was free or really cheap because of product placement and sponsorships.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
7 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Interesting you say it's a throwback and yet contemporary lol. 

I call that look Danish Modern which is something that I grew up in the very early 1960's.  Remember a relative having a kidney shaped coffee table and freeform sunburst clock back then which was all the rage.

• Love 1

That looked to be a pretty pricy subdivision - I mean - it's a fly in community, which is heavily desired by people who can afford to do so.  I'm also not sure when this was filmed but home values have been out of control until recently almost everywhere...coupled with people who lost their homes due to hurricanes - it would be hard to estimate how much they would or not make on this home.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

That looked to be a pretty pricy subdivision - I mean - it's a fly in community, which is heavily desired by people who can afford to do so.  I'm also not sure when this was filmed but home values have been out of control until recently almost everywhere...coupled with people who lost their homes due to hurricanes - it would be hard to estimate how much they would or not make on this home.  

Just saw that some houses on their same street are on the market for $5,000,000 and up.  So evidently, there is a viable market for very expensive homes in that area.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, debbie311 said:

Just watched the episode last night.  Last one of the season? When Sarah wanted the bathroom shelf (or whatever) moved, which would add costs and time - I mean who cares? It's in the girls' bathroom and as has already been pointed out, they will probably never live there very long, if at all. It's no longer cute or funny when she does this.  

I've watched them since the first series shown on HGTV, and I notice a not-so-subtle difference in Brian. I don't see the love for Sarah anymore. I predict they will divorce, probably as soon as the youngest kid is out of the house, and maybe even before.

I wonder if they realize how lame they come across. I would NEVER hire them to do a construction project. They both seem so scattered and disorganized.

I too have watched a lot of the Baumler shows and absolutely couldn't stand Sara. I finally completely quit them part way through their Bahama series, but decided to check out a few episodes of this season today.  I'm surprised how much they have both aged, but that just happens to all of us.  But now I absolutely can't stand Bryan, he is constantly so sarcastic and especially to Sarah, I actually felt sorry for her a few times.  They are intolerable IMHO.  

• Like 1