Type keyword(s) to search

Renovation Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/4/2022 at 7:59 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

And why are they moving endless amounts of stuff from house to house?   Just have what they need to live, and store the rest until they can move into the remodeled house. 

I don't know when they even have a chance to use any of their stuff since they move around so much.  Do they even bother unpacking before they leave for somewhere else?

• Love 1

They did say on the annoying little logo in the corner of the page that there will be a new one next Sunday.     Once is enough for me listening to them argue, so I turned on something I found a bit less annoying.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

So, they can't finish half of the house, because they need permits, but the other half could be finished, and they could move out of the RV, but Bryan's still working on the hangar.   I can't believe how much other work they do when they need to finish the house, so they can move in.       I can't believe the subdivision they live in would be OK with him parking that RV in the front driveway.   

Also, when they know there's a possibility of tornadoes, why leave so much stuff sitting outside?    They have no sense, no scheduling, and I really don't care about them having to spend 10 days in a hotel to do the hangar epoxy floor.   I'm down to hate watching and laughing at their ridiculous story liines.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

Don't forget that their daughter has a working makeup vanity and full storage system -- but no toilet!! And the daily fine of $250 is LESS THAN a night's room at their "crappy hotel!" Pardon me, if the hotel room costs 250+ per night, I think by definition it is at least a step above " crappy!"  Ugh.  These people are beyond hate-watch for me. They fall into the Too Stupid To Live category!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I can't believe Bryan actually said that the RV that's only supposed to be there for loading and unloading will be outside for almost two weeks, and they'll just see if the management of the village will give them a citation.   That McMansion they're building is so close to the neighbors.     The overhead shot of the house shows how close it is to the neighbors

No surprise, Brian discusses giant decisions with Adam, and later with his wife.   No shock that they either want to keep going, or  get a partner, or sell out entirely.   My guess is they'll sell out, that's what they always do when they've exhausted all possible TV series money for a project. 

I can't believe how much time and money they spent on the office build out, and the hangar.   They should have finished the inside of the house first, then they could park the RV elsewhere until the hangar was finished, and they were living in comfort in the house. 

So, they want to finish, but keep ripping tile out, adding arches, and who knows how many other changes.    This isn't how you do a gut remodel.   

You order the windows long before you start, and if those aren't available, you look around for other ones, and for other finishes you go to the supplier, find out what's in stock, and pick one.   It's not that hard.   

So, they finished enough of the girl's bedrooms for the parents, and 4 kids can move in to the two bedrooms.   So, they have rolling clothing racks, so why are they cramming everything into the girls' closets and built in bureaus?    Just leave the hanging stuff on the rolling racks, and the two girls can hang and store their stuff.    And now instead of finishing things, Bryan's putting in a huge fish tank.   And talking about partnering with some dude ranch company in Utah to do a remodel.    Did the potential partners ever watch any TV show these people have done?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm feeling bad for the kids. Sure, they are a bit spoiled with materialistic things and the ability to pursue any activities they choose. I was glad the girls liked their bedrooms. BUT will they even live there long enough to fully unpack? Not if they A. move back to the resort or B. Sell the resort, negating the need to live nearby in Florida. A stable home and school environment till the youngest one finishes high school should have been a priority rather than fame.

Edited by RowdyCam
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 9/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

And talking about partnering with some dude ranch company in Utah to do a remodel.    Did the potential partners ever watch any TV show these people have done?  

I think their potential partners are hoping to see their dude ranch featured on next season of the show. Great advertising for them. I'm sure a lot of the visitors to Caerula Mar are viewers of the show.

• Love 1

Just watched the episode last night.  Last one of the season? When Sarah wanted the bathroom shelf (or whatever) moved, which would add costs and time - I mean who cares? It's in the girls' bathroom and as has already been pointed out, they will probably never live there very long, if at all. It's no longer cute or funny when she does this.  

I've watched them since the first series shown on HGTV, and I notice a not-so-subtle difference in Brian. I don't see the love for Sarah anymore. I predict they will divorce, probably as soon as the youngest kid is out of the house, and maybe even before.

I wonder if they realize how lame they come across. I would NEVER hire them to do a construction project. They both seem so scattered and disorganized.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

I wonder if they realize how lame they come across. I would NEVER hire them to do a construction project. They both seem so scattered and disorganized.

I laughed out loud when Bryan dropped in on Sarah at her office where she obviously has nothing to do except think of changes she wants made to add costs and construction time to the house that they will never finish. I really feel sorry for their neighbors. 

• Love 4

They still have scheduled episode 8 Upwardly Mobile (that was last Sunday's episode), but 8 is a rerun on this Sunday, and (new) episode 9 on 9 October, and I think that's the season finale.     I don't know why they're showing reruns this Sunday.   

The episodes all sound so much alike it's hard to tell if they've shown it already, the storyline is so similar every week.  As tired as I am about hearing about the lack of permits for the second story, I bet the permitting office in that county is really sick of being trashed on TV.   

They could have done a huge house keeping the existing footprint of the house, not trying to do a second story, and simply doing a mother-in-law apartment, and five or six bedrooms.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Brian has started visiting the Canadian Fall home shows & will be in my city this weekend. He endorses local renovators, plumbers, etc.  I suspect they pay for his endorsement, but who would want to hire them if they operate like Brian & Sarah?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

I suspect they pay for his endorsement, but who would want to hire them if they operate like Brian & Sarah?

People who believe that fame equals greatness. I'd be happy if fame equaled competence.... 

• Love 3
On 10/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, cameron said:

Who works on tiling and wallpapering a cabana while the rest of the house is unlivable  and the pool isn't usable:  the Bauemlers!!!

And spending thousands on redoing the hangar, and Sarah's office, when they don't have a finished house is ridiculous.     They should have gone full bore on the house, and finished at least half to live in, then done the office and the hangar.   They should have rented an RV or two when they were living in the garage.   Actually, they didn't need RVs to live in since they had rental houses for months, so finishing the half of the house would have made so much more sense.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

This is part of the the blurb about Team B&S, for Rock the Block's upcoming season: 

Team B&S -Bryan and Sarah Baeumler

The Baeumlers are a dynamic, talented duo hailing from Canada, that together packed up their family and moved to an island in the Bahamas to fully restore and renovate a rundown resort onRenovation Island. The luxury resortCaerula Mar Club is now hosting guests. Bryan and Sarah also star in the HGTV seriesRenovation, Inc. Additionally, Sarah is the founder of alifestyle brand, inspiring women with elevated design and intentional living. While Bryan is an award-winning host who has been educating viewers across Canada as a licensed contractor and home renovation expert. Some of Bryan’s other shows include Disaster DIY,Bryan Inc.,Island of Bryan, andLeave it to Bryan.

I'm not interested in her elevated design, and intentional living.    The elevated design is the same old imported junk, and I don't need someone who can't plan anything telling me how to live "intentionally".   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

"Elevated design and intentional living"?  Is that what that is?  It looks like Home Depot chic to me.  I'd much prefer a clapboard cottage on stilts in Nags Head NC for elevated design and intentional living.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This is part of the the blurb about Team B&S, for Rock the Block's upcoming season: 

Team B&S -Bryan and Sarah Baeumler

The Baeumlers are a dynamic, talented duo hailing from Canada, that together packed up their family and moved to an island in the Bahamas to fully restore and renovate a rundown resort onRenovation Island. The luxury resortCaerula Mar Club is now hosting guests. Bryan and Sarah also star in the HGTV seriesRenovation, Inc. Additionally, Sarah is the founder of alifestyle brand, inspiring women with elevated design and intentional living. While Bryan is an award-winning host who has been educating viewers across Canada as a licensed contractor and home renovation expert. Some of Bryan’s other shows include Disaster DIY,Bryan Inc.,Island of Bryan, andLeave it to Bryan.

I'm not interested in her elevated design, and intentional living.    The elevated design is the same old imported junk, and I don't need someone who can't plan anything telling me how to live "intentionally".   

Her "intentional" looks more like "fly by the seat of my pants" to me.

It's weird, I liked them both more in the beginning of their various series. Sort of like I liked Chip and Joanna more at the beginning, then I got bored or just tired of the schtick. Oh, I will still watch, but the bloom is definitely off the rose for both couples, at least for me.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2022 at 10:19 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

And spending thousands on redoing the hangar, and Sarah's office, when they don't have a finished house is ridiculous.     They should have gone full bore on the house, and finished at least half to live in, then done the office and the hangar.   They should have rented an RV or two when they were living in the garage.   Actually, they didn't need RVs to live in since they had rental houses for months, so finishing the half of the house would have made so much more sense.  

Agreed. They spent tens of thousands on the hangar and office and should have gotten permits finalized before demolishing the interior of the house. They could have lived in it while awaiting the permitting approval. They seem to do everything backasswards (my late husband's term for stupid decisions). Once the permits were in place they could have moved to a rental. They are quite foolish.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

They seem to do everything backasswards (my late husband's term for stupid decisions). 

Ha! I remember as a teen using "bass-ackward". Still a bit angry one of my maths teachers said it was a swear word.... 

• Love 1

I think I'm an episode or two behind but damn, her "let me redesign this one thing" schtick really gets old. She's been at this long enough that she clearly knows the costs in time and money and still plays dumb blonde. And maybe they are characters they are playing for TV (her: dumb blonde who things expensive == best, him: grumpy, put-upon husband who caves to wifey but also passive-agressively thwarts her whenever possible), but they aren't appealing characters. Her shrill, him condescending...

"Ugh, where can we park our kids for the 10 days it takes for epoxy to cure because we were morons who scheduled this mid-reno and didn't bother to just reschedule it for a year from now...too bad we don't own our own hotel and a private plane on which to fly there..." And I'm guessing that they don't AirBnB because none of the houses available are up to their snobby standards--or because it is so much more drahmah for TV to moan about their >$250/night hotel.

I always rooted for Tarek and Christina to flop on Flip or Flop because they were so snobby, I am definitely rooting for Bryan and Sarah to go bankrupt because they come off as miserable people. Talk about failing up.

• Love 3

So, on this episode they're still discussing keeping, partnering on the resort, selling the resort. and now Bryan is buying up houses to turn into weekly or other short term rentals.   Just what the world needs, more short term rentals in residential neighborhoods.     

The second story addition is getting even more complicated, because as usual, they don't do any research before deciding what to do on the house.     Why is Sarah working on the pool bathroom before finishing rooms in the house.   And they don't have another place for a bathroom in the main house?      

If they would have come into the house remodel with a good first floor only plan, they would have finished long ago.     That house is huge, and they could easily do an in-law apartment for the parents, and bedrooms for the kids, and for themselves. and had plenty of rooms for guests.  Or buy the house for the vacation rental and redo it quickly, and then do the mansion redo while they had somewhere to live. 

The second floor adds more structure and needs more support because of winds, I guess that means hurricanes?   I don't see anything funny about first the contractor, and then Bryan saying they have a Cease and Desist on the entire project, when they actually were approved for permits.  Unfortunately, Hurricane Ian might have dropped by.   There were either straight lines winds or a tornado in Wellington, if that's where they are. 

They're not selling the resort. 

There is another episode next week.  There are at least 12 episodes this season.   This was only episode 9.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I'm kind of glad they aren't selling the resort.  Yes, I'm slightly obsessed with the resort.  At least this way I will still get to see it because they will probably be visiting it.  

I think it's sweet their kids still like being there.  I'm sure it represents a slower life pace and more family time for the kids.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That rental they purchased has a better pool than the one at their house.  I suppose Sarah will make everything gray and white instead of some pleasing pastel colors.  I don't think of gray walls as beachy unless she's talking about gray skies on a rainy day.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I suppose Sarah will make everything gray and white instead of some pleasing pastel colors.  I don't think of gray walls as beachy unless she's talking about gray skies on a rainy day.

It'll be interesting when gray goes out of fashion, because most home renovations are all about that color - not that there's anything wrong with that!!  Maybe she's going for the color of manatees, porpoises and dolphins, but I don't think they're that dark! I really didn't like the black tiles in the bathroom.  It was all just too dark for me. 

I was disappointed that the show didn't feature the island.  I guess there's not much more to see though if the renovations are done.   I really don't care about their rental or new home renovation.   I'll keep watching though and fast forward most of the home renovations. 

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I really don't care about their rental or new home renovation.   I'll keep watching though and fast forward most of the home renovations. 

If they were going to do a rental renovation, why didn't they live in it rather than buy and bring an RV in Western Canada to drive to Florida and live in that while their house was being renovated, then move into the house and renovate the rental?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, deirdra said:

If they were going to do a rental renovation, why didn't they live in it rather than buy and bring an RV in Western Canada to drive to Florida and live in that while their house was being renovated, then move into the house and renovate the rental?

Did they say that the rental property was a purchase with someone else?  Maybe they need to get it renovated quickly so as to start making money.  Sarah looked as if she was afraid of catching cooties when they toured the rental house, so I don't think she would want to stay there anyway!  That is one nice motorhome too!  They must have some serious money.  

• Love 1

They must have megabucks to finance the oldest son's riding career, and I suspect he'll eventually move to Europe for training and competition.   A lot of the national level riders do that, and have lots of trainers to get a variety of instruction, and lots of competition.  Plus the younger sister is interested in riding too.     

I think the vacation rental was purchased with the local man who's working with Bryan.     They could have bought it, redone it quickly, and lived in it until the mansion was ready to move into.   No RV, no rental houses, no hotels, and no people in the way of construction.    One move and that's it. 

I just don't understand why they move so much stuff between the rental houses.   Since it's just temporary, then move some clothes, basic kitchen stuff, and only what you need for furniture. store everything else either off site in a storage unit.  Then, when it's rental time, you just move your clothes, and whatever you won't be using for the house as a rental.    

So, on the pool house episode, they have it as a second bathroom until the rest of the house is finished, so they take the shower out, leaving a giant bathroom space with only a sink and toilet.   And S & B talk about the pool house being a guest room.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just don't understand why they move so much stuff between the rental houses

I would've opted for staying on the island!!  They've got too many irons in the fire.  That can't be easy for the kids and them trying to go to school or have a tutor (like they did on the island.)  It's nice that they'll have a place on the mainland to evacuate to, if needed, but they could've bought a really nice condo and wouldn't have had to worry about a major renovation.  

16 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

As an American it irritates me that they take jobs away from American workers by bringing their crews in front Canada.

Have you tried to get American construction workers these days (and let's not go into the fact that many of them are populated by people who aren't legal workers in the first place)?  Several of my friends are doing renovations and what crews you can get are booked far in advance - and the ones you can get on a quicker basis are not dependable.  I think they know their Canadian crews and the quality of their work - it must ultimately be more cost effective...plus some of them may already be on Brian's payroll.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

For the Bahamas part of the construction, they did have some contractors come in, and work with local craftsmen to learn to do the metal roof.    I think they brought in outside crews to do the counter tops in all of the villas, and in the main restaurant and desk areas.    However, I don't understand how the non-U.S. workers at the Florida house are getting work permits?    

So on tonights bizarre episode, Bryan is told that Jason (whoever the hell he is, apparently the wall paper installer) was bitten by a spider, his leg is horribly infected, and he called from the hospital.   Bryan's reaction is to ask what the spider looked like and how it happened, so Bryan can stay safe.   He's all heart, isn't he? /s (I hope that's the sarcasm indicator). 

Then, when Bryan shows Sarah the short term rental house, she tells him all of the things she would have done differently.    When there are supply shortages, and you want to get the place on the market, you don't source a bunch of things that aren't in stock, and will cost too much.    They wanted to finish to rent it out, and they did.    I bet the renters won't care about the tile colors, and anything but a clean house with a pool.    You choose finishes that are easy to clean, look good, and finish the project to rent it out, you don't design it as if you were going to live there.     

So in the preview for next week, Bryan says they feel sorry to be 'those neighbors' with the mess of a house.   I bet the neighbors loathe them.    That house was OK before the added second story, but now it's hideous.   I bet the neighbors at the short-term rental house won't be too happy about living next to party central either. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Do these kids go to school or are they homeschooled?  

The older daughter said she hangs with her family during the week and her friends on weekends.   She was away with friends for the weekend when they did the escape room.  Do they fly her to Canada each weekend to see her friends? 

Does he just pull the plane out of the garage and fly the it down the street and land it in the street? 

This episode was just a mess.  Couldn’t even figure out what room they were working on most of the time because they were jumping around so much.  The pool bathroom was just so dark and ugly.  

The planes taxi to the runway, and land and take off on that.   The entire subdivision is built around the runway access.    There are several of the flying centered subdivisions in Florida.   John Travolta's house and hangar is in another subdivision, where he parks big jets, so some have longer runways and look more like an airport.     

• Useful 1

soooooooo glad the laundry room is absolutely tricked out, staged with a bunch of stuff so there is no room to fold clothes. much more important than having, you know, bedrooms to sleep in! But not as important as a completely finished pool bathroom (no shower or tub) for a pool that is completely empty, awaiting retailing. sure hope they finish the wine room before completing a necessary living space!!

Also, I thought the other house was for one of the construction guys to live in, but -- shocker!! -- it is really an AirBnB for "nightly" or weekend rental. But no way could they stay there instead of the RV in the hanger because they would have to pay rent to the partners and that might cut into their children's over-the-top expenditures (aquarium is priority, ya know....)

ugh. What is the level past "hate watching"?

• Love 3

Who wallpapers their laundry room? My laundry room is sometimes humid, especially when I use hot water for loads of linens. And they are in Florida where humidity is brutal. Just seems a poor choice for walls in a laundry room or bathroom.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

Who wallpapers their laundry room? My laundry room is sometimes humid, especially when I use hot water for loads of linens. And they are in Florida where humidity is brutal. Just seems a poor choice for walls in a laundry room or bathroom.

This show should be called "Poor choices in construction and design".    I think the only partner on the vacation rental is the construction man who's working with Bryan.    I love how they didn't finish anything yet, but they're putting that humongous fish tank in. 

I think it's hysterical that Sarah is ticked at Bryan doing the tiling and finishes at the short term rental house, everything matched and works, so that's what people want.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think it's hysterical that Sarah is ticked at Bryan doing the tiling and finishes at the short term rental house, everything matched and works, so that's what people want.   

Bryan has better taste than Sarah.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Bryan has better taste than Sarah.

I agree.  Sarah's designs don't look like they belong in a home, especially with her choice of no color.  They're more like what you'd find in an office.

• Love 3