Type keyword(s) to search

Renovation Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/6/2021 at 5:05 AM, deirdra said:

I blame that quitter for making Sarah think she could call herself a designer instead of a ballet teacher.

Yeah, before blaming Bryan for being mean to his wife, people should bear in mind that Sarah is a ballet dancer/teacher by trade, with no design training or qualifications whatsoever. A lot of the problems on 'The Island of Bryan' were caused by her having no idea about what is involved in building etc. which every qualified designer knows about. EG ordering countertops that were the exact dimensions of the bench without allowing for the fitting. She has merely helped Bryan design the interiors of a few of his projects and thinks that allows her to be called a real professional. You can tell she is not a professional by the number of design mistakes she makes, like choosing wood for the floors in a resort where sand and seawater will destroy them over time, and picking white coverings for the furniture in a place that will be used by so many people.

• Love 4
(edited)

The new series started, with the renovation of the house in Wellington, FL.    That's a good location, since the oldest son may very well be competing for months at a time at the two big winter show venues in Wellington, and nearby.    A lot of the top level barns relocate there for the winter.  They sell the Canadian house, but are keeping too much stuff to store endlessly.  When will they move back to Canada?   So storing stuff for a future Canadian house is ridiculous.   I can already predict what will happen, endless arguing about doing ridiculous, overpriced finishes, moving walls around for no reason, gutting kitchens instead of refacing cabinets.    

They have a Back to the Bahamas special episode first, and then the first one of the Florida house remodel, which is Season 4. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

After last night's episode, I think their kids might be smarter than them.  Loved Lincoln saying he thought they were making the wrong decision with the move. I couldn't agree more.  If I had a nice big home in Canada and a presumably successful business, no way would I give it up move to Florida USA. And taking the screens down...what idiots.  But regardless, it seems pretty clear after all the seasons that they are not, nor have they been, making decisions with the kids' best interest in mind or even the hotel's at times. They are out to be HGTV stars for the attention and their egos, jumping from one reno to the next, and possibly bleeding money along the way.

• Love 3

Personally I don't think that parents should cater ever decision they make in their professional careers around what their children want.  If I had the opportunity to move to the Bahamas with my child where she would have had freedom like these children have I think I would have jumped on it.  And moving to Florida is not a hardship - looks like there are numerous activities they are already involving themselves in, they will be going to "normal" school - I know it is hard leaving family behind in Canada but they have the ability to visit often (and wasn't the house on the lake a vacation home...granted a ridiculously over-the-top one but they don't seem to know how to do anything in a reasonable manner).  Also it seems like one of the reasons for the move to Florida was to support Q's horse riding career.

• Love 1
On 7/25/2022 at 4:22 PM, Peanut6711 said:

And taking the screens down...what idiots. 

Not to mention opening up an existing door to put in a bigger door so they could load supplies.... in the airplane hanger.... with a door mere feet away.... that AN AIRPLANE can maneuver through??

and you know that none of those very nice cabinets or built ins were donated to ReStore or somewhere else that people would be thrilled to find them. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤬🤬

• Love 4

They need to quit whining about how they are all in and stand to lose everything. If funds were at all tight, surely both the airplane hangar and outdoor landscaping projects could be scaled way down and wait until after they had an actual working house to live in. Neither one of them put ANY limits on how much to spend on their respective pet projects.

Edited by RowdyCam
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Also, just occurred to me: they are Canadian, how do they just get to move to the US without immigration being involved? I doubt they qualify under their business investments because YOU KNOW they live on a fault line of debt... they have businesses in the Bahamas and Canada, so.....

• Applause 1

My understanding is that even with a huge amount invested in the U.S. you still need sponsors.    Unless there's a category for those who employ a certain number of people.  Maybe because of the TV show and they're considered under a special entertainer visa?   I don't know if those exist.  That's probably how Celine Dion lived in the U.S. so long while having her show in Vegas, and Love It or List It hosts were in the U.S. for so long.  

I found this, there is a special category for entertainers, sports stars, etc., it's called an O1-B visa :

Applications require a petition to be made to USCIS followed by an interview at a US consular post in your country of residence. You must evidence that you have “an extraordinary ability” in the arts, motion picture or television industry.Jan 1, 2022

I think it's like their other shows and 'forever' houses.   I suspect this house will be sold the second it's not useful any more for filming.  I don't know what else they can film at the Bahamas resort,  I think they've filmed everything that they can.   

I am tired of everything being a crisis, endless screaming matches, and constant poor planning, like the door into the hangar issue.   

Bryan and Scott McGillivray are teaming up for another reno show in Canada, no word on when they'll show it on US HGTV.

I wondered about another show, and found this:

Bryan Baeumler and Scott McGillivray are teaming up for new show

https://twitter.com/hgtv/status/1292620930414329857

"In addition to Island of Bryan, HGTV Canada viewers have another project from the renovation expert to look forward to. Bryan is teaming up with Vacation House Rules and Income Property host Scott McGillivray for a new show called Renovation Resort. 

In the series, Scott enlists his “frenemy” Bryan to rehab his recently purchased lakeside resort. But Scott and Bryan won’t be doing all the work themselves. Instead, they’ll enlist four teams of contractor/design duos, who will each renovate one of the resort’s four waterfront cabins. At the end of the season, one team will go home with a life-changing prize.

Renovation Resort will airs in spring 2023 on HGTV Canada. So far, there’s no work on whether it was also be shown HGTV in the U.S."

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was under the impression there are a lot of snowbirds who live part time in Canada and part time in Florida.  I don't know how that works with respect to immigration, but maybe there are special rules for part time homes.  They have the Bahama resort, so maybe they are residents of the Bahamas with a part time house in Florida.

We took a long weekend in a condo resort in Gulf Shores, AL about 25 years ago in January. When we were in the resorts' hot tub, we met an older couple from Canada who said they spent their winters there, I got the impression it was close to six months. So, it must be doable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

A lot of the snow birds from Canada like the panhandle.   Panama CIty Beach is super popular.   For one reason, in the winter, when it's 50 degrees and rainy or windy, it still feels nice temperatures compared to where they lived.      I don't know how the visas work. 

Canadians don't really need a conventional visa for stays up to six months at a time.   Other countries are very different.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

As I watched the show last night I wanted to strangle Sarah. She is the most arrogant, annoying, and entitled "designer" on HGTV. I've always enjoyed Bryan's projects. He's a straight up guy with a solid work ethic. He's already in over his head with work to be done at the resort and the house they are rebuilding in Florida, so Sarah rents a huge empty space in a commercial building for her office and expects him to build it out for her. She says she needs it to expand her business and her "brand." Amid all this, their rental house is only available for a short time and the preview for next week shows Bryan with a snowbird-style RV. This show is really jumping the shark. 🤣

I googled Sarah's website and apparently her business model is to offer overpriced products for sale.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

As I watched the show last night I wanted to strangle Sarah. She is the most arrogant, annoying, and entitled "designer" on HGTV. I've always enjoyed Bryan's projects. He's a straight up guy with a solid work ethic. He's already in over his head with work to be done at the resort and the house they are rebuilding in Florida, so Sarah rents a huge empty space in a commercial building for her office and expects him to build it out for her. She says she needs it to expand her business and her "brand." Amid all this, their rental house is only available for a short time and the preview for next week shows Bryan with a snowbird-style RV. This show is really jumping the shark. 🤣

I googled Sarah's website and apparently her business model is to offer overpriced products for sale.

Thought the same thing concerning Sara.  Like she needs a place that big for her so called business.  Don't think that she even has a degree in design.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 3
35 minutes ago, cameron said:

Thought the same thing concerning Sara.  Like she needs a place that big for her so called business.  Don't think that she even has a degree in design.

In the earliest shows, like when they were building their lake house, they had an architect and designer. The designer quit the job when Sarah continuously butted in and made changes without consulting her or the architect. Sarah isn't a trained designer. She's an amateur that I consider an "influencer" more than anything. Or maybe she could be considered an interior decorator. She has no formal design training and it shows in the way she is constantly making changes to correct her mistakes.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

In the earliest shows, like when they were building their lake house, they had an architect and designer. The designer quit the job when Sarah continuously butted in and made changes without consulting her or the architect. Sarah isn't a trained designer. She's an amateur that I consider an "influencer" more than anything. Or maybe she could be considered an interior decorator. She has no formal design training and it shows in the way she is constantly making changes to correct her mistakes.

Just watched the episode again and think she is aiming to be the Joanna Gaines of Canada.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Just watched the episode again and think she is aiming to be the Joanna Gaines of Canada.

Ugh the world does not need another. I don't think it even needed the first... 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, cameron said:

One Joanna Gaines is more than enough in the world, but at least Joanna seems to stay within budget and doesn't keep changing her mind mid-stream, causing costly delays & labour & materials costs to re-do things, like the ~16' tall stone fireplace in her Canadian home that Sara wanted moved over 1' after it was built.  She was stupid not to notice the asymmetry in the planning stages and a real designer would have used furniture and art placement to disguise the asymmetry after the fact or make it look intentional. Canadians love Brian, but most of us wish Sara would go back to teaching ballet and off of our screens.

Edited by deirdra
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

That new office for Sarah was huge!    I can't imagine what she would need that much space for, maybe a quarter of it, and that's only if she keeps samples on hand.  

I'm calling fake on the one moving truck and part of the hangar holding the 'entire contents of their Canadian house", I bet it took a lot of moving trucks, and storage warehoused to hold their stuff.      I'm guessing the house is just another flip, and after it's not useful any more for filming, they'll move on to the next project.   The commercial is absurd where it says they're managing the resort, they have live in managers. 

By the way, they sold the cottage they showed on one series, the house in Canada also, 

On the minute of RI-the endless house remodel version, Sarah only has one job she's in charge of, the ginormous office for her business.   She has no clue about why none of the work is being done, and blames doing construction in another country?   How ridiculous.  

Now Bryan hasn't finished the house, but takes days off to do the office floor, and then buys a huge RV to do a solo trip, leaving immediately.     Note to Sarah, the absentee owner with a full staff including on-site resident managers at the resort, you aren't helping by dropping in to fluff pillows. 

The Trip Advisor reviews about the resort aren't all good.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Only in these people's lives would a ceiling for an airplane hanger be more important than finishing an office, doing what they can on their home, getting stuff in order at their "fully booked resort" or, you know, finding a new place to live...

I'm glad Bryan got his 10-day RV drive time. I'm sure he needs to decompress after all that he has to do for Lady Ego.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 4
On 8/1/2022 at 10:11 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Bryan and Scott McGillivray are teaming up for another reno show in Canada, no word on when they'll show it on US HGTV.

Scott McGillivray...😍  He took the place of my former HGTV boyfriend, Rick Spence, who hosted Curb Appeal.  And I just have to say, since I'm apparently an old fuddy-duddy, that I really miss the days when there were lots of shows that you could actually get inexpensive design ideas from, and more variety in hosts, like Room By Room, Design on a Dime, Designed to Sell, and the outdoor shows, like Curb Appeal, and the one hosted by the older AA gentleman (does anyone remember what that was called?).  And of course, Design Star was wonderful...I wish they'd kept that up for adding new hosts.  *sigh*

• Love 4

Who in their right mind would actually hire Sarah unless they were hoping to be on TV? She is not a trained designer and I cannot imagine how a giant, renovated workspace for her "business" is such a priority. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, RowdyCam said:

Who in their right mind would actually hire Sarah unless they were hoping to be on TV? She is not a trained designer and I cannot imagine how a giant, renovated workspace for her "business" is such a priority. 

Add to her inexperience the fact that they are so behind schedule with work on their own house. Bryan has mentioned several times that they don't have "contacts" in Florida with contractors, subs, etc. and it was even mentioned that subs working on her office weren't getting things done on time. After seeing the mess they are in--much of it created by Sarah, I sure wouldn't want her anywhere near my home. Bryan is also displaying his own selfishness by prioritizing work on his airplane hangar and his 10-day RV jaunt.

Something else... I wonder why their resort is closed in the "off" season. I was a travel writer before retiring and am unaware of any other resorts in the Bahamas routinely closing for the "hurricane season" which, incidentally is from June 1 through November 1. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Are you talking about "Designing for the Sexes?"

No, I'm talking about an outdoor show with an AA male host, but he may have been around the same age as the Designing for the Sexes host...

Edited by LuvMyShows

So, the office isn't finished (and the design there is horrible), the hangar is going quickly, but they can't finish enough of the house to move in?   

Sara's finished office is hideous.   It looks like the clearance section at a going-out-of-business decor and furniture store.     Nothing goes together, nothing is cohesive, it looks awful. 

So, Bryan couldn't find an RV closer than Canada?   Just an excuse for a long road trip.    I have two giant RV centers near where I live, and you can't tell me Florida doesn't have RV sales places everywhere.   

Five people living in a giant RV, while remodeling their multi-million dollar home  is not making me feel sympathy for any of them.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, the office isn't finished (and the design there is horrible), the hangar is going quickly, but they can't finish enough of the house to move in?   

Sara's finished office is hideous.   It looks like the clearance section at a going-out-of-business decor and furniture store.     Nothing goes together, nothing is cohesive, it looks awful. 

There wasn't an RV closer than Canada?   Just an excuse for a long road trip.    Five people living in a giant RV is not making me feel sympathy for any of them.  

Even Bryan is starting to wear on me.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2022 at 7:44 AM, DonnaMae said:

What about that enormous "cottage" they built on the lake in Canada?  They sure went overboard with that, considering it was just going to be a vacation home.

22 minutes ago, deirdra said:
On 7/26/2022 at 9:44 AM, DonnaMae said:

What about that enormous "cottage" they built on the lake in Canada?  They sure went overboard with that, considering it was just going to be a vacation home.

I'm just wondering where Sarah is going to find all the business to justify her having such a large office space.

• Like 3

I don't know how much is fake drama and schtick, but Bryan looks like he is completely over Sarah. She's ridiculous. And Bryan isn't doing his business any favors, he looks rather incompetent and I don't think I would want him doing my renovation or construction project.

Where is the older daughter?  I think I read someplace that she is in boarding school. Lucky her.

When they were on their little camping trip and saw the alligator in the water not far from where they stood, they just stood there on the banks looking at it.  Do they not know how fast an alligator can move?  Or was it a fake?

I guess it never occurs to them to buy a home for themselves that doesn't need to be broken down to the studs. Of course then they wouldn't have a show. They're not like Chip and Joanna who renovate homes but have a nice stable home to go back to at the end of the day. I honestly feel sorry for the kids. Their lives seem so disrupted. 

• Love 2

Aren't they renting that huge office space?  If so, they're sure spending an enormous amount of money on renovating the area that they would abandon if they decide to return to Canada. And why did they work continually to finish the office before the house renovations were done?  They must unlimited amounts of money.

36 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Aren't they renting that huge office space?  If so, they're sure spending an enormous amount of money on renovating the area that they would abandon if they decide to return to Canada. And why did they work continually to finish the office before the house renovations were done?  They must unlimited amounts of money.

Yes, I think they like to cry poor but that's nowhere near the truth.  That table that Sarah bought for her office, Bryan said he didn't even want to know the cost. 

And yes, they must be leasing that office space.  They surely didn't buy the entire building! 

He could have stored his tools and building materials securely in the hanger as it was without doing all the extra work and just concentrated on getting the house done. Then when the house was completed, focus on the hanger. He was going to put a movie screen in there, but then said the renovation of the swimming pool was too expensive, so he let that go.

That big office space of Sarah's is a vanity thing.  She said she needs a place of her own. Apparently they both do. I expect them to divorce.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

I expect them to divorce.

I'd be surprised. Nobody knows what's going on in another couple's marriage, but they seem invested in each other to me. Nothing wrong with having some alone time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'd be surprised. Nobody knows what's going on in another couple's marriage, but they seem invested in each other to me. Nothing wrong with having some alone time.

I'm all for alone time, but it's the way that Bryan speaks to Sarah that makes me think the bloom is off the rose.  He's tired of her changing things constantly ... I just pick up an impatient, "I'm over it vibe" from him. I could be wrong.  Maybe playing The Bickersons is their jam. Who knows.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, deirdra said:
On 7/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, DonnaMae said:

They sold that one too, I don't remember the price but they made a healthy profit on it, and also all of the TV income for it.   It think they just build spec houses, and live in them until they want to move on, or the market is right

Or else they pitch the next show, and sell the ones they already built and are tired of.      It's like the one season show they had about new builds, and two huge remodels that were just for resale, and they were built to sell.   They also had partners on one, and sold their part out before the end, claiming no one could cooperate on anything.  

I'm over the resort episodes, and the Florida episodes, and the constant talk about they're risking everything, because you know they aren't. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I personally enjoy this show but I would like to say to our new United States citizens that we do not leave the American flag laying on the ground especially on the last show for everyone to see!! Please respect your new home!

• Love 1

(I don't think they ever intend to become U.S. citizens.   They can spend a lot of time in Florida, without that, and they're definitely going back to Canada someday.   There are different residency requirements for visitors from Canada than from other countries).    

I was looking to see what her design website looked like online, and right after they're fighting about downsizing, for the Florida home, and when they move back to Canada, I ran across an article by Sarah on how to declutter.     I guess that's aimed at the rest of us, because except for what they sold with the house, they packed everything. I find that pretty ironic, since they probably needed a bunch of moving vans, and will need a bunch to move back to Canada.     They still have stuff stored in Canada too. 

So, they think anyone cares that the four kids, parents and dog have to share an RV for a couple of months?   If that's too crowded, rent another one and park it in the garage too, and you'll have plenty of extra room.   They could even get one with the big slide out sections for more room.    

Now the resort has Covid infected staff?   What part of this is a surprise?   You know they had to have run into this before, so it's another storyline, isn't it? 

So, who takes care of the kids when both parents are in the Bahamas?    I really don't care about designing the kid's rooms, and hardwoods are a bad idea, so if the air conditioning goes off, bad things will happen.   So, unless they have a whole house generator, those wooden floors are going to be ruined.   I wonder if they do the Florida standard of doors opening out, not in?  For wind resistance.  

Sarah wants to put either a grapefruit tree, or orange tree in her daughter's room?  Plant it outside, and it might live.    Her daughter certainly followed her mother's ideas of changing her mind constantly.       

The second story sounds awful.   That's a gigantic house already, and the second story will be ridiculous.    I wonder if Qynton's (?) room on the first floor,  will turn into a guest suite for Brian's parents, so that's why they need the second story for the giant rooms for the children.   I wonder if all of the kid rooms will have ensuites?   You know they'll have to have gigantic closets for all of the stuff they have, and never downsize.  

Why don't they rent a big storage unit for the house materials?   And why did they prioritize finishing Sarah's office, and the hangar before finishing the house?  

For people who move so often, they don't label anything.  If you label the boxes and storage bins properly, it's much easier.   They don't plan anything.    And why are they moving endless amounts of stuff from house to house?   Just have what they need to live, and store the rest until they can move into the remodeled house. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I have a friend who used to live in that Wellington, FL "fly-in" neighborhood. She's horrified by the mess Bryan and Sarah have made of that house and so glad she's no longer their neighbor.

I agree that it made no sense to work on an office for Sarah's non-existent "business" and make improvements in the perfectly adequate airplane hangar before completing the house. From what Bryan said tonight they don't even have permits for the second story they plan to add to the house. I'd sure never hire them to do any work on my home.

CrazyInAlabama is certainly right about hardwood floors in Florida. There's a good reason people put in tile floors there.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Think that their children are given too much free rein  with the design of this new place.  Already JoJo keeps changing her mind about what color she likes.

Also thought that his parents were a little much.

• Love 1

I was under the impression there are a lot of snowbirds who live part time in Canada and part time in Florida.  I don't know how that works with respect to immigration, but maybe there are special rules for part time homes. 

For "regular" people (not the entertainer or employee visas), Canadians (the snow birds) can be in the US for up to 6 months each year, not a day longer. (Same for US citizens who have summer homes in Canada.)

I'm sure Sarah and Bryan have a special visas that HGTV arranged for them.

She really annoys me. She's inept and delusional about her abilities. I rarely watch this show. I only watch when, like last night, I can't sleep.  

• Love 4