Type keyword(s) to search

Daily Planet Dispatches: News and Media

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, DanaK said:

This article about the pivot the CW is making suggests the show could either be renewed for the CW because they want at least one DC show to remain or could be sent to streamer HBO Max https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-cw-new-strategy-explained-1235486774/

I watch both DC shows. I’d hate to see either show disappear, but if they do, I hope there’s a decent finale. I’m still a bit bitter about how Legends of Tomorrow ended. 

• Like 1
On 5/18/2023 at 7:53 PM, DanaK said:

CW head calls season finale amazing and has a bit of a cliffhanger. He also says the show is expensive and doesn’t make them money

https://tvline.com/2023/05/18/superman-and-lois-season-3-finale-cliffhanger-ending-renewed-cancelled/

Thanks. that sounds about right, too. A really satisfying ending that leaves a bit of an opening, in the event it is continued. I hope James Gunn really likes the show. 

(edited)

Superhero Shows “Had Their Time” as New CW Leaders Outline Plans to Make Network “Bigger and Profitable”
BY LESLEY GOLDBERG     MAY 18, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/nextar-pitches-cw-reinvention-less-superheroes-older-audience-1235495292/ 

Asked specifically about the future of Superman & Lois — one of the two remaining DC Comics shows still on the bubble — Schwartz said the business model no longer worked for Nexstar’s vision for the network.

“They were the hallmarks of The CW for a long time. As we look forward and try to make this network bigger and profitable, frankly, as much as we all love those shows and they had their time, they’re not working on linear,” Schwartz said.
As the decisions on the two DC Comics shows hang in the balance, Schwartz called them “expensive” and noted that they weren’t profitable directly for The CW (though they are for Warners). “We don’t have the rights to prior seasons” of the three bubble shows, Schwartz said, noting Nexstar “spent millions” launching Superman & Lois and Gotham Knights. “It was frustrating for us because you can’t tell people to go catch up on Superman & Lois and it’s on HBO Max and it’s the 30th priority there,” he said. “It’s tough. If you want to be in business on a show and connect that show to audiences everywhere, you need to have the whole library.”

Edited by tv echo
22 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I agree with this poster here: https://protectyourdarlings.tumblr.com/post/717432982571483136/networks-and-streamers-cancelling-shows-they

A business model more concerned with creating new shows than keeping them afloat once they're on the air isn't a good one. The audience doesn't like being yanked around.

Yes, but a huge part of the audience likes reality shows, and really cheap, sensational reality shows. Who will get to the pastry flour first in the pre baking shop off, who is pregnant, is that really a dead rat in the silverware drawer? Stay tuned. Which cute kid wins the contest?

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but personally if something like that is on the air I leave the room, because I don't want to be hooked into it. I don't like being manipulated into watching something I won't remember or care about next week. Still, I would maintain that yes, a good portion of the audience does like being yanked around.

One thing that irritates me, as a woman, is that Warners seems to think my gender predisposes me to liking that kind of programming.

Yes, we are probably past the 'golden era' of streaming shows.

I find it hard to believe a decision hasn't been made already about renewal. I'm guessing it's most likely "No", and people waiting until the season is over to say so; or it's "No" and WBTV are trying to negotiate that into a "Yes." If it was getting renewed, I think they would have said so already.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I'm referring to having shows taken away that they've just gotten invested in.

I haven't trusted Netflix, I was late to Netflix, since they cancelled Santa Clarita Diet, and my point here is that streamers have been doing this forever, constantly, and for the same reasons. Apple really is leaning into the three seasons and you are out model, see "See", which was a good show that could have continued. So why should people rise up in a group, at this late time?

Phew! I was so worried, I really thought it didn't have much of a chance because of The CW wanting to save money. 

Now, I don't love it being only 10 episodes, but I guess it's better than no show. But it's very likely going to be the final season, to wrap things up.

• Like 1

Also, I did find this article posted not long before the official announcement:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/superman-amp-lois-all-american-homecoming-cw-renewals-cast-reductions-budget-cuts-1235414908/

If the CW proceeds with renewing Superman & Lois and All American: Homecoming as expected, that would come with major budget cuts that would include reducing the number of series-regular cast members. Superman & Lois, now in its third season, has 12 series regulars; sophomore All American: Homecoming has nine. I hear the leads are not expected to be affected but supporting cast members likely would be. (Speeding up the decision is the fact that cast options are set to expire this week.)

So, quite possibly, the Kents will all remain as regulars, but the Cushings and Irons families may be dropped to recurring.

My prediction: Tyler Hoechlin, Bitsie Tulloch, Michael Bishop, Alex Garfin, and possibly Emmanuelle Chiquri, and Inde Navarette will stay on as regulars, but everyone else (Wole Parks, Dylan Walsh, Tayler Buck, Erik Valdes and Sofia Hasmik) will drop to recurring status. All the actors above already appear in less episodes than the others, so I suspect that'll play into it, even with only ten episodes. I could see them dropping Chiquri and Navarette to recurring if they really want to save additional money, but they likely would still appear in all ten episodes.

And then I assume they'll bump Michael Chudlitz up as a series regular as well. 

This is great news! I must admit that I had come to think that they were just waiting for the season to end to announce a cancellation. I'm so glad that suspicion didn't pan out.

I wouldn't mind more focus on the family and the leads moving forward to deal with the budget cuts, as long as the writing remains good, as it has been this year. 

1 minute ago, metaphor said:

I wouldn't mind more focus on the family and the leads moving forward to deal with the budget cuts, as long as the writing remains good, as it has been this year. 

This year was a real test to see if the show could work with a primarily family drama with the superhero aspect being in the background. And I will say, they have succeeded; the show has been at its best. I know it hasn't been ideal that a superhero show put the superhero aspect on the backburner, but I knew it was because of budget cuts and it's carrying over to season four. But I think they've really made their budget cuts work and shown they can survive off of a primarily family-focused show with more selective action/CGI aspects. 

Again, it's not the ideal outcome, but it's one that has really worked this season and can work next season as well.

• Like 2

Synopsis for episode 1 - Clark and Jordan are exposed to a new type of Kryptonite/Lex Luthor weapon that robs them of their powers.  How will they cope?  And how will the populace react to a world without a Superman?  Tune in to find out!

I'm (mostly) kidding, but yeah, a lot of non-Kents are going to have a lot more free time next season.  Move the Kents back to Metropolis and they'll still be close enough for the occasional visit.

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, I did find this article posted not long before the official announcement:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/superman-amp-lois-all-american-homecoming-cw-renewals-cast-reductions-budget-cuts-1235414908/

So, quite possibly, the Kents will all remain as regulars, but the Cushings and Irons families may be dropped to recurring.

My prediction: Tyler Hoechlin, Bitsie Tulloch, Michael Bishop, Alex Garfin, and possibly Emmanuelle Chiquri, and Inde Navarette will stay on as regulars, but everyone else (Wole Parks, Dylan Walsh, Tayler Buck, Erik Valdes and Sofia Hasmik) will drop to recurring status. All the actors above already appear in less episodes than the others, so I suspect that'll play into it, even with only ten episodes. I could see them dropping Chiquri and Navarette to recurring if they really want to save additional money, but they likely would still appear in all ten episodes.

And then I assume they'll bump Michael Chudlitz up as a series regular as well. 

I predict this season ends with a big, multifamily barbeque. 

I guess John and Natalie could go to look after Mannheim/Matteo and Kyle could get a job offer in another town or city, they could announce it at the barbeque, (how does Smallville support the fire department, anyway?)

I'm wondering which cast members will get cut.  #1 choice would obviously be Sophie, she's barely on the show anyways (and might not even count as a "regular cast member" to begin with).

I would cut Chrissy.  She's completely extraneous.  I would probably also cut Kyle.  He always seems shoehorned into the episodes.

With Jordan getting his full powers, I could see John Henry and Natalie being cut.

I would also cut Sam, the DoD isn't really needed on this show.  Just make it be  more about Superman protecting Smallville and Metropolis from Lex Luthor and not about some national security issue.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm wondering which cast members will get cut.  #1 choice would obviously be Sophie, she's barely on the show anyways (and might not even count as a "regular cast member" to begin with).

I would cut Chrissy.  She's completely extraneous.  I would probably also cut Kyle.  He always seems shoehorned into the episodes.

With Jordan getting his full powers, I could see John Henry and Natalie being cut.

I would also cut Sam, the DoD isn't really needed on this show.  Just make it be  more about Superman protecting Smallville and Metropolis from Lex Luthor and not about some national security issue.

I really like Sam, his growing and maturing. The show doesn't work without a group of people. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but Dylan Walshs wife posted on instagram that he won't be returning for season 4 because he was offered 3 out of ten episodes & he turned them down. She said he's too expensive.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Proteus said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but Dylan Walshs wife posted on instagram that he won't be returning for season 4 because he was offered 3 out of ten episodes & he turned them down. She said he's too expensive.

I just saw that, though not those specific details. That’s too bad, I grew to like General Lane

On 6/12/2023 at 9:10 PM, DanaK said:

Renewed! https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/gotham-knights-canceled-cw-renews-superman-and-lois-all-american-homecoming-1235641833/

That’s a welcome surprise. The CW also renewed All American: Homecoming and canceled Gotham Knights

With the way things are going at WB and CW, honestly surprised they renewed that many shows from the previous regime. But now this makes me think that S&L has a chance at a (short) Season 5, as long as it stays in the top 3 of CW ratings.

6 hours ago, DanaK said:

I just saw that, though not those specific details. That’s too bad, I grew to like General Lane

I think that it helps a show that focuses on family relationships to have characters from several generations. It is really too bad. I still am relatively comfortable with Nat and John going to work with Mannheim and Mateo; Chrissy having a reduced schedule and deciding on whether she wants to move to wherever Kyle has moved; and Lois and Clark eventually taking over the paper full time. etc. I'm sure it all can work and I hope it does.

Yeah, I tend to think General Lane is important to the family dynamic aspect, as he's the only grandparent still around.

Honestly, Kyle and Chrissy are the ones we don't need as regulars.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Affogato said:

I think that it helps a show that focuses on family relationships to have characters from several generations. It is really too bad. 

I 100% agree with this. It was one of my favorite things about Superman & Lois. 

(edited)

I agree that losing Sam Lane is unfortunate. However, I take it from the above information from Instagram that it was partially the decision of the actor, not wanting to be tied down to the show while only appearing in 3 episodes, so I understand. Also guessing it'll probably be the family + Lana and Sarah who stay on.

I'll miss the other characters, but I'm mainly in this for Lois and Clark, and at this point, I'm more grateful the show got another season. I definitely wasn't ready to say goodbye to such excellent incarnations of two characters I've long loved in two episodes. 

EDIT: Just saw this news: 

Dylan Walsh, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Erik Valdez, Inde Navarrette, Wolé Parks, Tayler Buck and Sofia Hasmik will all no longer be series regulars in ‘SUPERMAN & LOIS’ Season 4.

There is hope for them to recur or guest star next season, pending availability.

Link

Apparently we're down to mainly the family. I guess we'll see how the writers go about this, but I remain optimistic after a largely excellent Season 3.

Edited by metaphor

Yes, this makes the most sense; it would explain why all the other characters are suddenly not around as much.

Also fits with the news that Michael Cudlitz has been upped to series regular. 

I hope most of them can at least recur. I agree that moving them back to Metropolis would make the most sense now. And with that I can see John Henry and Natalie being there and at least recurring (sometimes they miss episodes as it is).

We wouldn't miss Kyle or Chrissy. Lana and Sarah are important to the show though, so that sucks.

Wow, so they're just completely dropping everyone? Really? I thought dropping them to recurring, not dropping them from season 4 completely. And the worst part is that I don't think any of them are getting any closure for the finale, so they're just going to all disappear. 

So, what are they gonna do now with so many regulars gone? Even if they move them back to Metropolis, does the network not realize that they're going to need even MORE new characters, since Metropolis is a big city and they will need extras to fill in those roles? 

I just don't see how it works, even if they cast a few new characters who don't appear that often.

(edited)

I don't think they're necessarily dropping everyone completely, just trying to renegotiate recurring roles for them. For instance, they offered Dylan Walsh 3 episodes in Season 4, which he rejected. So I think the appearance of the other characters will depend on whether they can come to an agreement on the revised number of episodes and pay. 

I expect using guest stars would be cheaper than retaining several regulars, so that's what they plan to go with to deal with the lower budget.

Edited by metaphor
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, metaphor said:

I don't think they're necessarily dropping everyone completely, just trying to renegotiate recurring roles for them. For instance, they offered Dylan Walsh 3 episodes in Season 4, which he rejected. So I think the appearance of the other characters will depend on whether they can come to an agreement on the revised number of episodes and pay. 

I expect using guest stars would be cheaper than retaining several regulars, so that's what they plan to go with to deal with the lower budget.

Exactly, while we don't know the mechanics of the show's budget, the people in charge do, and replacing the non-Kent regulars (most of whom didn't show up in every episode anyway) with some new recurring characters will save money.

And for people raising an eyebrow about them dropping all of the non-white cast members, I'm pretty certain they're not going to make the show as pale as The Adventure of Superman or the Christopher Reeve movies. 

7 hours ago, metaphor said:

I had to re-read the article about the cuts and I definitely misinterpreted it the first time. This does make more sense, which is a bit better, but not a whole lot. 

I knew they'd likely cut all of these cast members anyway (I was only unsure about Emmanuelle and Inde) but the idea that they could just not return or only return for one episode is depressing, in a way, especially since I don't think we'll get great closure if none of them return. 

My guess is season 4 will be set in the summer which will allow the family to spend time in Metropolis without having to actually move back. Unless everyone refuses to come back like Dylan I would expect some scenes in Smallville before they leave and maybe some over the phone while away while the bulk of the season is focused on dealing with Lex. 

• Useful 1

I was disappointed to see so many cast members cut, but am grateful for a fourth (and probably final) season. Hopefully we won't have to wait too many years to get the next season and we'll be able to get a proper send off.

• Like 1
On 6/15/2023 at 7:45 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I knew they'd likely cut all of these cast members anyway (I was only unsure about Emmanuelle and Inde) but the idea that they could just not return or only return for one episode is depressing, in a way, especially since I don't think we'll get great closure if none of them return. 

Unlike Netflix, the CW hung onto shows, often long past their expiration date, so it is sad that this fine show has such an abbreviated run. Television, for fans of well scripted shows, is not getting better.

For a while I've wondered if the show will end with the boys graduating high school and now I wonder if they will do a small time jump, so we find out if Lois and Clark will stay in Smallville, if Lana is running for congress, etc.

I thought for sure they would at least keep Lana and maybe Sarah.  Lana is important to the show, she is Clark's connection to Smallville and she is the mayor now.  She also seems to be Lois' only friend.  Sarah was there for the connection with Jordan and Jon.  Hopefully these two actresses will accept a recurring role.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, Proteus said:

I find it odd that his wife is the one posting on her Instagram and complaining about what happened.  I guess he doesn't have his own Instagram?    Is she also his agent, or is she really posting in her capacity as his spouse?

I get why he turned them down, he'd rather try and get a more permanent gig.  However, at his age, I'm not sure if it's that easy for him to get a regular role on a TV show.  If he was just doing guest appearances, wouldn't he have been able to fit those three episodes into some other shooting schedule?

I would agree he is too expensive, he has name recognition because of "Nip/Tuck" among other things.  But Emmanuelle Chiriqui also has some amount of name recognition, she was in "Entourage" and the first "Wrong Turn" movie and others.

His wife seems to view their offer as insulting, but I would say that's simply just business.  The show is expensive and CW can't afford it.  I think having a show with reduced cast is better than no show at all.  But I'm really hoping that (HBO) Max would pick up the show for a potential Season 5 with a bigger budget.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, blackwing said:

His wife seems to view their offer as insulting, but I would say that's simply just business.  The show is expensive and CW can't afford it.  I think having a show with reduced cast is better than no show at all.  But I'm really hoping that (HBO) Max would pick up the show for a potential Season 5 with a bigger budget.

I don't think most of us are going to like the next wave of television, but it is certainly a bad time to be a really good show on a faltering channel. Ten years ago we would have seen the kids through college! And also, for those that care, Kara would have shown up and there would have been massive crossovers. I think the writer's guild strike will make things happen faster.

I'm positive that James Gunn bears the show no ill will and may even like the show, himself. But he is creating a new, flagship superman in a new flagship universe, and I suspect by the time that emerges he would want this show gone, anyway. I really wish he would reach down and save doom patrol, though....

I think that cutting him down to a couple three shows probably cuts any benefits he was getting, since Sam was around alot this season, this being one of the reasons recurring characters and short seasons save money. I wish him well and I hope he has another gig lined up.

• Like 1

Tyler Hoechlin Q&A Panel from 2023 Superman Celebration
Superman Homepage  Jun 14, 2023

Elizabeth Tulloch Q&A Panel from Supanova Sydney 2023
Superman Homepage  Jun 18, 2023

• Like 1
On 6/14/2023 at 8:02 PM, dmeets said:

Dropping every character of color is... a choice. Agree the Kents are probably moving back to Metropolis.

I would imagine if they move back to Metropolis, there will be new recurring characters added, some of whom will be of color. Maybe they will bring back Mechad Brooks's Jimmy Olsen even though he would not be the same Supergirl Jimmy Olsen. Maybe they will introduce Ron Troupe. Maybe there will be a Hope or Mercy of color. 

I do hope they have time to let the Lana/JHI ship set sail though...

• Like 1