Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

The Top 10 has leaked and it's actually a Top 11. Apparently, the judges used their save.

Arthur Gunn
Dillon James
Francisco Martin
Grace Leer
Jonny West
Jovin Webb
Julia Gargano
Louis Knight
Makayla Phillips
Just Sam
Sophia James

• Love 1
(edited)

The lists are alphabetical by first name...

American Idol 2020 Top 7 Contestants SPOILERS List – ALL NEW
05/06/2020 mj santilli
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2020-top-7-contestants-spoilers-list-all-new.htm 

However, the  Idol Pad has revealed has revealed the Top 7. They were correct last week. 
Advanced and will sing for your votes:

1. Arthur Gunn
2. Dillon James
3. Francisco Martin
4. Jonny West
5. Julia Gargano
6. Louis Knight
7. [Samantha Diaz] Just Sam
Eliminated

1. Grace Leer
2. Jovin Webb
3. Makayla Phillips
4. Sophia James

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I don't hear any great voices this year!  Some are just painful to listen too!

Maybe they need some new judges?  New talent scouts!

The only one I could imagine winning is Just Sam and that's not saying much!

Edited by Jeanne222

The Idol Pad has posted a partial list of the Top 24. They had posted a list a couple weeks ago that they later retracted though so grain of salt. Apparently, spoilers are hard to come by due to Covid.

Benson Boone
Brennan Hepler (A.K.A. Beane) 
Caleb Kennedy
Cecil Ray Baker
Chayce Beckham
Colin Jamieson
DeShawn Goncalves
Graham DeFranco
Hunter Metts
Jason Warrior
Willie Spence
Wyatt Pike

Alana Sherman
Alanis Sophia
Alyssa Wray
Andrea Valles
Anilee List
Casey Bishop
Cassandra Coleman
Grace Kinstler
Hannah Everhart
Madison Watkins

I get that last year's group got a bad deal, but it kind of seems like despite saying how incredibly much talent they have this year, they must not think they have enough if they are bringing in more contestants from last year. Kind of seems like a bad deal for this season's group.

The Idol Pad has posted the Top 16.

Advanced

01. Alanis Sophia

02. Alyssa Wray

03. Ava August

04. Brennan Hepler (a.k.a. Beane)

05. Caleb Kennedy

06. Casey Bishop

07. Cassandra Coleman

08. Chayce Beckham

09. Colin Jamieson

10. DeShawn Goncalves

11. Grace Kinstler

12. Graham DeFranco

13. Hunter Metts

14. Madison Watkins

15. Willie Spence

16. Wyatt Pike

Eliminated

Group 1

01. Alana Sherman

02. Andrea Valles

03. Anilee List

04. Cecil Ray Baker

Group 2

01. Hannah Everhart

02. Jason Warrior

03. Liahona Olayan

04. Mary Jo Young

I was super surprised to see Mary Jo on the eliminated list but the others were expected.  

• Useful 1

Well, that's very disappointing about Andrea, she was the only person I truly liked from this past week's shows, but she was sandwiched somewhere in the middle of the show. So, not surprising. :( I had hoped Liahona might luck up and stick around a little bit longer, too. Oh, well, I guess Grace and Casey are the only ones worth watching for now. :/ 

The duds from last year coming back is NOT something I'm looking forward to. I did like Arthur, but that was more for his personality, not really his voice, which I found grating at times. There were only three I "sort of" liked last year and none of them are returning (Jonny, Dillon, Sam)--of course! Dillon is signed to Hollywood Records, Sam won last year (but is no longer signed, WTH), and Jonny must've declined. I would prefer if the Comeback episode would include some of the people from this season who are getting eliminated and not just people from last season.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

Since that thread is locked, I thought I'd ask this here. Does anybody have any amazing/slam dunk/off-the wall Oscar Nominated song choices for the Top 12 to sing on Saturday night?

When I looked through the list, I think there's one that would be the absolute easiest song for Casey to choose....Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi. I'm torn because I think she would have another strong outing with that song, but I do think she needs to borrow David Cook's playbook and mix things up with something unexpected. Something a bit poppier that she could have fun with like The Power of Love from Back to the Future or Footloose from Footloose.

Or maybe her first curveball will end up being whatever song she sings on Disney night (knock on wood)..

**If any of the Top 12 is able to clear "Blame Canada" from South Park, "Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO Movie, or "Husavik" from that Eurovision movie with Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams, they will become my favoritest contestant from that moment on 🙂

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Since that thread is locked, I thought I'd ask this here. Does anybody have any amazing/slam dunk/off-the wall Oscar Nominated song choices for the Top 12 to sing on Saturday night?

When I looked through the list, I think there's one that would be the absolute easiest song for Casey to choose....Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi. I'm torn because I think she would have another strong outing with that song, but I do think she needs to borrow David Cook's playbook and mix things up with something unexpected. Something a bit poppier that she could have fun with like The Power of Love from Back to the Future or Footloose from Footloose.

Or maybe her first curveball will end up being whatever song she sings on Disney night (knock on wood)..

**If any of the Top 12 is able to clear "Blame Canada" from South Park, "Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO Movie, or "Husavik" from that Eurovision movie with Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams, they will become my favoritest contestant from that moment on 🙂

I'm skimming the list--wow, they nominated lots of songs early in the Oscars!

Agreed on Casey--she could do a rock version of one of those songs. Or perhaps "Streets of Philadelphia"?

"The Weary Kind" for Caleb, maybe?

And I didn't realize "I Just Called to Say I Love You" was from a movie.

I'm bracing for some Celine Dion butchering by someone...

• Useful 1

I could see Caleb doing Blaze of Glory (or Footloose) if Casey chooses another song. There's also an interesting song from the 2018 movie "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" called 'When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings'. It would be way, way out there, but I actually think Caleb could do a really good stripped down (almost acoustic) version of that song with the gravel in his voice.

I'm right there with you on Chayce with "Streets of Philadelphia"..

I don't necessarily want her to do it, but I could very easily see Cassandra take her shot at "Falling Slowly" from Once. If she makes it to Kris Allen's zip code, I'll be mildly impressed.

I could see Hunter trying Lost Stars maybe..

I hope the show puts a moratorium on Oscar nominated Disney Songs since a Disney night will be the following week.

• Love 1

This is a fun list.....SOOOO many awesome songs, but you know most folks will go with the most contemporary. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Original_Song

I wonder if somebody will do "Over the Rainbow"?  Anybody else remember this sweetie?  Aaahhh, the good old days. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Jason Castro sings over the rainbow&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=jason castro sings over the rainbo&sc=2-34&sk=&cvid=393AAB9E1054446E9ED2AC8A6531BD67

• Love 1

This is what they are singing:

Alyssa Wray – This is Me by Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble (from The Greatest Showman) 

Ava August – City Of Stars by Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone (from La La Land) 

Beane – (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life by Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes (from Dirty Dancing)

Caleb Kennedy – On the Road Again by Willie Nelson (from Honeysuckle Rose) 

Casey Bishop – Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland (from The Wizard of Oz)

Cassie Coleman – Writing’s On The Wall by Sam Smith (from Spectre) 

Chayce Beckham – (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams (from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves) 

Deshawn Goncalves – The Way We Were by Barbra Streisand (from The Way We Were) 

Grace Kinstler – Happy by Pharrell Williams (from Despicable Me 2) 

Hunter Metts – Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová (from Once) 

Madison Watkins – Run to You by Whitney Houston (from The Bodyguard) 

Willie Spence – Stand Up by  Cynthia Erivo (from Harriet) 

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2021-spoilers-top-12-oscar-nominated-song-picks.htm

• Useful 1

According to MJ's, there will be 14 girls and 10 guys in the Top 24. 

The 'Platinum Tickets' went to 2 girls (both blonde country singers), 1 guy (black, r&b singer).

Why yes, I do still cling to my beloved conspiracy theory, even though the show is controlled by ABC instead of Fox. The new owners have managed girl/boy/girl/boy winners so far, and it's time for another girl.

Edited by sempervivum
additional information
  • Love 1

So I keep reading they’re going to show her performance tonight. If she’s dropped out of the top 24, what is the point? Are they going to act like she hasn’t dropped out and then people are going to be able to vote for her? Weird 

• Love 1

Yea, when I saw that they're still showing her Hawaii performance, I wondered if the rumors are unfounded and she didn't actually quit. Because it would be pretty blatantly unfair to have people vote for someone who will not be continuing.

According to what Ryan said, it looks like the show was already edited and in the can for broadcast when she left.  I guess there wasn't time to edit her out of it.

eta:  Although the judges' comments were apparently edited out.  So who knows what happened.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

Re Kenedi, Lyndsey Parker of Yahoo says (bolding mine):

Kenedi isn’t the first Idol contestant to suddenly drop out recently. Last year, frontrunner Benson Boone withdrew from the top 24 after his aggressively hyped audition, although he quit before Season 19’s top 24 round was taped. Benson has since signed to Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds’s Warner Bros. label imprint, and according to Idol Spoilers, Kenedi was “in contact with Benson Boone” and “it is believed that he encouraged her to do as he did, just over a year ago.”

• Useful 1

That's the thing about artists and record deals---the odds are against you.  The music industry is littered with probably thousands of artists who put out an album that went nowhere and were then dropped by the record company.

• Love 3

Spoilers for Top 20 tweeted by Idol Spoilers here...
https://twitter.com/idolspoilers

Top 20:
Fritz Hager
HunterGirl
Leah Marlene
Nicolina Bozzo
Jay Copeland
Emyrson Flora
Noah Thompson
Allegra Miles
Tristen Gressett
Mike Parker
Christian Guardino
Katyrah Love
Jacob Moran
Cadence Baker
Cameron Whitcomb
Eli Rowe
Kezia Istoria
Sage
Ava Maybee
Daniel Marshall

Eliminated:*
Scarlet Ayliz
Sir Blayke
Danielle Finn

(* Kenedi Anderson dropped out before voting)

ETA: Related article...

American Idol Season 20 Top 20
April 15, 2022
http://www.theidolpad.com/2022/04/american-idol-season-20-top-20.html

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, tv echo said:

(* Kenedi Anderson dropped out before voting)

I have no idea what her personal reasons were for dropping out.... but I think it is unprofessional to do that regardless of what music deal she was possibly given. She entered the contest, so stay in it for the long haul and then do what you want. If she won and was tied to their contract.... then stick with it and suck it up. And if you thought you would leave for a better opportunity, don't enter. It is like she auditioned for the exposure and then when she got that, she quit... just not a good quality in my opinion. She walked away with unclean hands. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 3

I haven't watched American Idol for years. For whatever reason, I watched a few videos on YouTube and then some of the show. I bailed when they got to Hawaii and everyone was wearing Micky Mouse ears. It hasn't improved since I originally left. I like a few of the remaining contestants so I'll follow along on You Tube but that's it.

I'm a bit torn about Kenedi quitting. On one hand, she's a quitter and a self-centered one, because she must know full-well that she took the spot of someone else who would go the distance. On the other hand, AI has always been a TV show first and foremost. The "record deal" is mostly a carrot on a stick for PR purposes near as I can tell, and the constestants need to stick up for themselves.

I really don't care about AI the machine or it's judges. It's the effect on the other contestants I mind, but I guess if everyone knows going in just what AI is all about, there really isn't any foul play. AI doesn't walk it's own talk so Kenedi doesn't need to either. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

My guess for top  3 is Noah, Hunter Girl and Niccolina ( with Fritz possibly spoiling one of those three).

I'd guess Noah, HunterGirl (which I keep typing as HungerGirl for some reason!), and Fritz. Just because of the whole WGWG thing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

I'd guess Noah, HunterGirl (which I keep typing as HungerGirl for some reason!), and Fritz. Just because of the whole WGWG thing.

Dumb question but is her first name actually Hunter?  The whole HunterGirl is silly but look at Gaga lol.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2022 at 6:16 PM, Diana Berry said:

Dumb question but is her first name actually Hunter?  The whole HunterGirl is silly but look at Gaga lol.

Her full name is Hunter Wolkonowski. I can understand wanting to lose the last name, but 'HunterGirl' sounds dumb to me.

• Love 5
On 4/26/2022 at 5:45 PM, Diana Berry said:

My guess for top  3 is Noah, Hunter Girl and Niccolina ( with Fritz possibly spoiling one of those three).

Still going with this.  I was thinking if Christian got through he may be the ultimate spoiler but guess we don’t have to worry about that.

(edited)

Five Years In, What Do Judges Katy, Lionel and Luke Know That They Didn’t Realize When They Began Their ‘Idol’ Jobs?
Fred Bronson   May 9, 2022
https://www.billboard.com/culture/tv-film/american-idol-judges-katy-perry-luke-bryan-lionel-richie-interview-1235068562/ 

Jay and Guardino were not the only contestants to talk to Billboard after the live broadcast. The top 5 who will compete next week also took time to chat, including Noah Thompson and Fritz Hager, who called in from their respective hotel rooms, where they are quarantined after testing positive for COVID. Asked how he was doing, Thompson truthfully replied, “I feel like crap. But Idol is doing a great job. They’re setting us up with some great treatments.” All of the top five have already recorded singles, which will be released by BMG on streaming services on Friday (May 13). “I have never ever in my life done anything like that,” says Thompson. “Being in the studio working in the sound booth was one of the greatest things I’ve ever done in my life. I had so much fun because I didn’t know how any of that stuff worked, so it was all new to me. It seemed surreal that I was in there working with Jimmy Robbins as my producer. He’s such a good guy. He’s a great dude with a first-rate sense of humor and we connected through the song and through music and I had a great time doing that. It was all I thought it would be. I loved it.”

“It’s my second time being in a studio,” Hager tells Billboard. “My first time, I was a teen. And coming from Texas, I worked with country artists and now the producer I’m working with is King Henry. We are two people who have the same sounds in mind. For my first EP, there was almost a language barrier because it was like working in two different mediums, so being able to work with King Henry and how our conversation flowed was really cool.”

While Hager and Thompson were locked away in their hotel rooms, the remaining three contestants in the top 5 spoke to Billboard in person about their upcoming singles.

“I wrote the original song that I’m releasing,” says HunterGirl. “It was literally the night the first episode of this season of American Idol was on and I was scared to death going down the driveway of my parents’ house for the watch party. I was thinking, ‘Lord, I know everything’s going to be okay but could you just let me know?’ And a big thing in my family is the saying that whenever you see a red bird, it’s a member of your family from heaven coming to visit you. After I talked to God and asked Him if everything was going be okay, a red bird flew in front of my car and another flew all the way home and I broke down. A few days later, I went back to Nashville and wrote this song ‘Red Bird’ with my friends Matt McKinney and Austin Goodloe. The song means a lot to me and it’s for everybody that I’ve lost in my family and for anybody that needs a little help.”

Speaking about her single, Leah Marlene says, “I wrote my song right after Hollywood Week, when we found out we were in the top 24 and I was just reflecting on how on earth did I come to this moment? A year ago, I was in rock-bottom territory and the fact that I was going to be on American Idol and was actually moving forward was just insane to me. This song came about in that reflection and it’s an encouragement that no matter how far gone you may feel, there’s always a way out and even the pavement gives way to the flowers and that’s what the song is about. It’s called ‘Flowers.’ I’m so excited to share it with everybody.”

“I did not write my song,” says Nicolina. “I chose to remake a song called ‘Glitter’ by Patrick Droney. It’s about how grief is something that we can deal with, but we can never truly escape. And I feel like everyone processes grief in different ways and grief means so many different things and the lyrics of that song resonated with me so heavily that I thought it would be a cool idea to take a song that people already love and reinvent it and give it a little Nicolina flavor.”

The top 5 will perform their new singles on the Sunday (May 15) live broadcast.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

American Idol: Fritz Hager, Noah Thompson Tease Singles, Talk COVID
mj santilli   May 10, 2022
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-fritz-hager-noah-thompson-tease-singles-talk-covid.htm

Fritz’s song is titled “Hearts Align.” ....
Noah’s song is titled “One Day Tonight.” He wrote on social media “Hope y’all are as pumped as I am.
The Top 5 are scheduled to travel to Resorts World in Las Vegas where season 4 winner Carrie Underwood is kicking off another leg of her residency. She’ll mentor the contestants. But whether Fritz and Noah will be well enough to travel, remains to be determined.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

So where do we post about the finale? I would make the thread, but I'm not sure non-moderators are allowed to do that...?

Too bad we don't have a thread to rank the winners, or talk about our favorites over the years anyway.

• Love 1