Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: The Fugitive

Miles, Cara and Rakesh try to stay a step ahead of a bounty hunter, Bonnie, who’s searching for Miles’ new friend suggestion, a petty criminal-turned-fugitive for evading court. Also, when Miles loses interest in who’s behind the God Account, Rakesh intensifies the search by planning to hack a powerful government super computer that can break through the Account’s firewall.

Original air date: April 12, 2020

I totally cried at the reveal that the bounty hunter was the case of the week’s foster sister.

Cara and Miles not being together remains dumb.

It was hard to be moved by Allie’s head shaving because it’s really obvious that the actress wears a wig (you could see the line when she went to “shave her head”) and the bald cap they put her in was even more obvious. I did chuckle at Arthur’s line about her perfectly shaped head though.

• Love 8

This was a good episode, the twist that the bounty hunter was the foster sister was a a nice surprise. The resolution was both kinda realistic and heartwarming at the same time.

I respect Ali's bravery as far as shaving her head.

I'm glad Cara told Miles about Adam so maybe now he can find someone that really loves him because that chick ain't it. She moved on way too fast and at the worst time. These writers think they slick and cute with the melodrama but all they have done is make me not like Cara.

Between his sister, the God account, and Cara it seems Miles has really been getting the short end. For someone who helps improve people's lives it seems he has to pay for that which sucks. And It looks like there will be more dumped on him.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 12

I am glad that Miles realizes that Cara moved on. She seems to be such a superficial kind of person. When times go bad with Adam, she will run back to Miles.

I did love this episode and series overall. I would love if Rakesh were more involved in helping the friend suggestion, not just the tech end.

• Love 3

What a lovely twist. I’m still crying. I also liked seeing the lawyers again and that they are doing very well. Even the dispshit teen wasn’t such a smug jerk this week. And Cara finally told Miles about Adam. I’m sure Miles and Cara are still endgame and wish this stupid triangle would just end. 

• Love 7

I've just had the worst week of my life.  My 92 year old father passed away on the 4th from Coronavirus.  I could not visit him when he was in the hospital nor go anywhere near New York City.  Like everyone else I'm stuck in the house for the duration.  I can't even describe how horrible this is.  I have no other close relatives and my dad died alone.  Very sad, not what he deserved.  But enough about me.

As for the show, I can't help but think that there's some reason this new "relationship" Cara is having with Adam is only being glossed over.  It's like he is only a plot device, or perhaps they're waiting for some episode in the future to let us in on what's really going on with him.  I suspect there's something not right about him that they're waiting for the right moment to spring on us.  Maybe he'll turn out to have something to do with the GA.  Wouldn't surprise me.

When Ali refused to wear a wig I thought "how ironic" because the actress obviously has been wearing wigs on the show.  Then there's the obvious cap she was wearing to make it look like she was bald.  Her head came to a point like a cone head, LOL.  Seriously, though, the actress is so beautiful that she still looks fantastic bald!

The friend suggestion of the week did choke me up in parts even though the connection between Russell and the Bounty hunter was contrived and predictable, and the 6 months for failure to appear on a first offense seemed a little harsh.  This episode still didn't grab me like last season but it wasn't bad either.

Oh, and my father's name was Russell.  That's all I got right now.

• Love 1

It was nice to see those lawyers that they had helped before. When they said they knew some lawyers I didn't know who they were talking about until they showed up, though.

I knew some twist was coming when we found out that the bounty hunter was also a foster child. I think the Suggestion of the Week had a good outcome even though he still had to go to jail. Cute baby!

On 4/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, Empress1 said:

Cara and Miles not being together remains dumb.

And they way they explain it in the show makes the whole situation sound dumber.

Kinda tuned out the 'who's behind the GA' part of the episode with Corey and hacker teen.

It's still weird for me that Ali is supposed to be the younger sibling. Anyway, Ali shaving her head makes sense, however, I'm doubt we'll see that bald cap again. I'm guessing there will be many headscarves in the future.

And yeah, a lot of stuff is going on with Miles. I wish they only had the Ali cancer story and not also romance drama if they wanted complications in his life. Or they could address his employment situation -- I still don't believe that his podcast pays for that apartment!

On one hand, I don't want more romance drama, but on the other, I kind of want to see Miles with a new love interest. Temporarily, like with Rakesh and the princess. I'm conflicted! I just want to see him happy.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

For a mad moment I thought the bounty hunter was going to be Miles' rebound relationship. Also: fierce leather jacket/coat game but maybe a bit on the nose. And although that was a neat ending I'm having doubts that a (presumably) single bounty hunter would ever be considered for foster mom.  Since I couldn't remember where I've seen Erica Tazel before I had to check with IMDB - she was a regular on 'Justified' often tasked with trying to keep Raylan in check.

Cara must be one hell of a diaper-changer, it took her just one minute (yep, I timed it) to get the job done and she even managed to deal with a text by Ray in that time LOL! 

The judge was being a jerk but I guess that wasn't entirely unrealistic. Despite the horrible bald cap I liked how they handled Ali's plot. I have a good friend who's in cancer treatment and there's a lot fierce anger especially when people assume they know exactly what she needs without giving her a chance first to deal with it her own way.

The love triangle remains boring and I can't with Miles and his assumption that the GA owes him anything. I mean yes, it's human to have expectations like that but it's also naive - no matter whether you think it's God, fate, an AI or the universe that is owing you something. And since Miles has been presented as a critical thinker who questions everything (hence his atheism) it's frustrating that he never shows any self-awareness and admits that his expectation of a reward is problematic.

Zach was tolerable this episode and I'm okay with the origin story of the GA even though I have to question that the code was never put into action by DARPA those past seven years. I don't think that was ever stated but it was certainly implied.

Best moment was Rakesh when he told baby Maya 'I even sang for you!' - Suraj Sharma really nailed that scene.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

For a mad moment I thought the bounty hunter was going to be Miles' rebound relationship. Also: fierce leather jacket/coat game but maybe a bit on the nose. And although that was a neat ending I'm having doubts that a (presumably) single bounty hunter would ever be considered for foster mom.  Since I couldn't remember where I've seen Erica Tazel before I had to check with IMDB - she was a regular on 'Justified' often tasked with trying to keep Raylan in check.

Cara must be one hell of a diaper-changer, it took her just one minute (yep, I timed it) to get the job done and she even managed to deal with a text by Ray in that time LOL! 

The judge was being a jerk but I guess that wasn't entirely unrealistic. Despite the horrible bald cap I liked how they handled Ali's plot. I have a good friend who's in cancer treatment and there's a lot fierce anger especially when people assume they know exactly what she needs without giving her a chance first to deal with it her own way.

The love triangle remains boring and I can't with Miles and his assumption that the GA owes him anything. I mean yes, it's human to have expectations like that but it's also naive - no matter whether you think it's God, fate, an AI or the universe that is owing you something. And since Miles has been presented as a critical thinker who questions everything (hence his atheism) it's frustrating that he never shows any self-awareness and admits that his expectation of a reward is problematic.

Zach was tolerable this episode and I'm okay with the origin story of the GA even though I have to question that the code was never put into action by DARPA those past seven years. I don't think that was ever stated but it was certainly implied.

Best moment was Rakesh when he told baby Maya 'I even sang for you!' - Suraj Sharma really nailed that scene.

Miles is scared and desperate and wants to help his sister. Critical thinking is probably not his priority right now, And let's not forget we are talking about somebody who has already lost his mother and lost her at a young age.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 3

When Miles said he's sacrificed everything for the god accounts I wonder what exactly that is.  The god account didn't give him an ultimatum on his relationship - that was the last guy who got the friend requests.  He just assumed it was the same for him.  Although. that wouldn't matter since Cara broke up with him since her step-dad, whom she barely knows, didn't get off scot free for his crimes.  Meanwhile, his relationship with his father has improved.  His podcast has taken off.  His father fell in love with and married again, and became bishop.  What is this everything

Even with Ali's cancer, the god account didn't give her cancer.  He doesn't even blame it for that, he just strangely assumes it can cure cancer.  

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've just had the worst week of my life.  My 92 year old father passed away on the 4th from Coronavirus.  I could not visit him when he was in the hospital nor go anywhere near New York City.  Like everyone else I'm stuck in the house for the duration.  I can't even describe how horrible this is.  I have no other close relatives and my dad died alone.  Very sad, not what he deserved.  But enough about me.

As for the show, I can't help but think that there's some reason this new "relationship" Cara is having with Adam is only being glossed over.  It's like he is only a plot device, or perhaps they're waiting for some episode in the future to let us in on what's really going on with him.  I suspect there's something not right about him that they're waiting for the right moment to spring on us.  Maybe he'll turn out to have something to do with the GA.  Wouldn't surprise me.

When Ali refused to wear a wig I thought "how ironic" because the actress obviously has been wearing wigs on the show.  Then there's the obvious cap she was wearing to make it look like she was bald.  Her head came to a point like a cone head, LOL.  Seriously, though, the actress is so beautiful that she still looks fantastic bald!

The friend suggestion of the week did choke me up in parts even though the connection between Russell and the Bounty hunter was contrived and predictable, and the 6 months for failure to appear on a first offense seemed a little harsh.  This episode still didn't grab me like last season but it wasn't bad either.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Russell,  condolences to you.  I thought the twist with the bounty hunter being the foster sister was a good one, this show still has a 'sweetness" about it, even with all the Drama.  That baby was adorable. 

• Love 4

And here I was, marveling at how good Ali’s bald head (cap) looked!  But I never thought her wigs were bad either.  Loved when she and her dad compared bald heads!

Miles has gone through a lot because he’s embraced the God Account.  He’s experienced a fair amount of good, too.  He’s just not seeing it now due to the loss of Cara and that romantic loss, and what he sees as the inevitable loss of his sister.

25 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

That baby was adorable.

She really was.  Was there an explanation about what happened to her mother?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

And here I was, marveling at how good Ali’s bald head (cap) looked!

The actress looks good bald (she’s beautiful. Gorgeous smile) but the fact that it was a cap was obvious. You could see where it was sitting on her head. Also, and correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think you can shave down to the scalp like that with clippers, though she could have used a razor & shaving cream to finish. I’ve also heard that you can just pull the hair out when undergoing chemo, but I’m happy to be corrected on that.

When I cut off my hair at the roots (it was about an inch of curly hair left after I cut off my relaxed hair), people told me I had a nice-shaped head so I loved Arthur’s comment. Joe Morton is so charming in this role.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

The actress looks good bald (she’s beautiful. Gorgeous smile) but the fact that it was a cap was obvious. You could see where it was sitting on her head.

I couldn't see it.  I guess I can be thankful for not-quite-perfect vision and a TV that is not one of the bigger ones!

• Love 2

Did the show even, like, google "cancer treatment"? Cold caps are a thing now. You could still have some hair loss, but not even addressing using cold caps (standard treatment at most NYC cancer centers during chemotherapy now, as the frozen hair is less likely to be killed from the chemo) it just makes you look ignorant. 

Edited by Brian Cronin

I wont lie, I teared up when we found out that the bounty hunter was Russel's foster sister. I really liked the case of the week, I was really engaged with all of the characters, baby Maya was adorable, and while it sucks that Russel will be in jail for six months (pretty harsh, judge) at least its the minimum sentence, he can go back to his daughter soon, Maya will be with people who will care about her, and he even got to reconnect with his old foster family! I was also happy to see the Patel's and Judy again, I thought that they're story was a bit of a downer, so I was happy to see things going so well for them. I always love checking in with old Friends, I love that Miles is gathering a whole system of people he helped who he can now ask to help other people. I wonder if that will end up coming back eventually, that when Miles is at his lowest, a bunch of the Friend Requests will all come together to help him. 

The story with Ali and her hair was really strong, I felt for everyone involved. Miles and Arthur were trying to help because they love Ali and want to support her, but Ali wants to do her own thing and make her own choices, even as so much of what is happening to her is out of her control. 

On the other hand, I just cant even pretend to give a crap about Miles and Cara romantic drama. Miles should just move on, he is a real catch, and waiting around for a women who dumped him for stupid reasons than moved on right away clearly isnt worth being hung up on. At least she finally told Miles the truth about dating her boring co-worker, so we can at least move on from that lack of drama. Poor Miles, he tries so hard to help people, but he keeps having bad crap land on him through no fault of his own. Of course, I can only guess that Miles is trying to find connections between Ali getting cancer and the GA is just his grief and fear getting to him, because him actually thinking the two are connected seems pretty ridiculous. Miles thinks that the GA is just a sophisticated algorithm, he thinks it gave his sister cancer to...mess with him? It also isnt the GA accounts fault that Cara dumped him, that was on Cara being immature and ridiculous. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Ellee said:

My sympathies, Yeah No. 

11 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Russell,  condolences to you. 

Thank you.  It's hard for me to watch this show right now because he lived in NY, plus I don't know when I'll be safely able to go down there again to deal with his apartment (I live 100 miles away in CT).  He had signed it over to me many years ago but paid the $1,000 a month maintenance on it himself, which I am responsible for now.  He left a small amount in the bank that will get eaten up in less than a year between that and other expenses.  Plus who is going to want to buy a fixer-upper co-op apartment in the Bronx during a PANDEMIC?  Both my husband and I are in our early 60s in a high risk category and are scared to death.  My husband owns a limousine and hasn't had any work for over a month so we have no income (he has applied for one of those small business loans).  He was in NYC several times a week before this, now scared that one or both of us could die if he goes back to work eventually and catches this from a client.  Losing several months or more of work for him right now would clean us out financially.  And neither of us wants to retire early and accept a lot less money in Social Security, plus have restrictions on working.  We can't afford that either.

For us, we are living a nightmare worse than anything the God Account has so far solved.  Only a vaccine could save us from this at this point, or for one of his ultra-rich clients to help us out so we can continue hunkering down and avoiding this thing.  Actually, that might not be so far fetched since one of his mega rich clients in particular has taken a liking to him and helped him finance his limo. a few years back.  Ironically, right before Covid started he told my husband that he would always have his back financially, and he is a trustworthy person, so we are hoping that he comes through for us.  He is our only hope at this point, but even he is recovering from Covid right now so we haven't been able to speak to him.   We know that a lot of people are in fear and have no income but if they're younger, have more money or are already retired, they can potentially recover from this kind of situation better financially.  At this point in our lives, unless we have a God Account miracle, we are pretty much screwed.

Thanks again for caring, and STAY SAFE!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

We know that a lot of people are in fear and have no income but if they're younger, have more money or are already retired, they can potentially recover from this kind of situation better financially.

I can relate to this. At this horrible time, my guitar teacher cut the fee 30% for helping out his students . I turned down the offer because my income is not changed by COVID-19 and he is a young man works for school system. I can't let him sacrifice for me!  I'm retired.  I'm not rich but have steady pension to live on.  Hang in there Yeah No!

This episode is back to season one level. It makes me feel good again, but Cara is just a pretty face with gorgeous coats to me now.  I wish Miles finds a new love he deserved. 

• Love 3

I just finished the last 20 minutes of the episode this afternoon, because my sister called Sunday night when the show was on and I don't like to say, "Hey, I'm watching tv I'll call you back !" It just seems especially rude, now more than ever. And then I came on here, only to find out the show has been cancelled ! That stinks. It's not a perfect show by any means, and I often find myself questioning the writing ( but I do that on most shows-- typical back-seat writer, I guess 🙂 ) But then I think back to another show, where the lead actor's job was going around helping people-- Highway to Heaven. As much as I loved Michael Landon as an actor, that show was way more clunky in it's writing and stuff as this one is. I tried watching some episodes a while back & really couldn't get thru them. GFM has it's issues, but it was still pretty enjoyable, imo. And it's my only network show on Sunday night, so I'll have to find something else when fall comes ( if we get a fall season, that is.)

I agree the bald cap was easily visible, but, again, that's something that improved greatly over the years. Go watch the episode of Gilligan's Island where Skipper & Gilligan go bald-- they might as well have worn one of those plastic swimming caps that Olympic swimmers wear, it was that obvious ! 

Now that I've shown my age with all my "old" show references, I'll just end with saying I'm a little sad the show will be ending.

• Love 3

Once again I liked the case of the week. I liked Russell and they were able to help him with the lawyer brothers from their old friend request. I really love that the old friend suggestions keep popping up to help. I'm surprised that Russell got six months since he didn't do the crime and had no criminal past. I would have thought he'd get probation. But I liked that they end up hiring the bounty hunter to find the real criminal and that she turned out to be his foster sister. I liked that they had one character who had a crappy time in foster care and another who had a good time. It reminded me of Leverage where Parker went to the bad kind while Hardison ended up in the good kind.

Still hate the Cara stuff and it still makes me dislike her.

I like the Ali stuff. While I can see why Miles called his dad and why Arthur came by about the wigs. I liked Ali pointing out that she isn't her mom and wants to handle her cancer how she handles it.  I really do love how great Arthur, Miles and Ali are with each other. Especially Ali and Miles. They have such a great sibling relationship and it never comes off forced. 

Once again I was wondering when Miles was talking Cara and Rakesh about Ali why neither one are really helping Miles or the family. I know its more the writers hadn't thought of it. But its still weird. Ali's their friend right? Neither one has stopped by to talk to her or help out or really do anything. Its the same when they showed up at the bar a few episodes back right after Arthur and Miles showed up to help Ali who told them she was find and did need any help. When Ali sees them she assumes that's why they stopped by but its not. It makes both come off a little uncaring.

Miles with more of his willing distortions in a conversation.  Russell, who blew off his sentencing hearing, was no innocent the second he failed to appear.  of course, TV tropes demand that by doing so, he created enough time for the quicker picker upper hunter to take in Maya.  I have to wonder...does NYC approve pell mell potential baby care folks/couples?  No lag time.  No references?

Ali, again, is entitled to handle things as she wishes.  What she is not entitled to is transferring her anger on to her family, who have been proven correct about certain things now and again.  she wants their support, until she doesn't and she is never clear about how that looks.

Miles has learned virtually nothing despite the many blessings and/or miracles he helped engender.  Mr. I Know Truth  and faith ain't it has few convictions and little courage.  Whatever his faults, though, he does not deserve Cara and the hot mess she brings.  So, maybe, in a perverse way, the GA really did work by keeping them apart?

It really is a shame that TPTB could not figure out a way to stick to the best of this show without resorting to so much silliness and by angering, for no good reason, its fiercely loyal fans.  

• Love 1
On 4/13/2020 at 12:33 AM, Yeah No said:

Rest peacefully Russell. We will make sure to make your daughter laugh in your honor. 

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 2
On 4/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I have to wonder...does NYC approve pell mell potential baby care folks/couples?  No lag time.  No references?

I think because the baby hadn't actually "entered the system" yet that's how it worked out for Maya. Since no judge had intervened yet on Maya's behalf, they were able to privately place her without having to go through the full blown court system. 

It's good they made the bounty hunter sister have a good foster care experience or I would have been much more angry at this episode than I was although I confess I spent the first 3/4ths of the episode annoyed with it.  I know there are bad foster parents out there, but there are also lots of good ones and I get very tired of the "the system is bad" and "all foster parents are bad" tropes. 

• Love 2