Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10 : Hawaii Showcase and Final Judgment (2)

• Start Topic

The Top 40 contestants perform in a concert before awaiting their final judgment for a spot in the coveted top 20. Watch a shocking first-ever twist in the show’s history for two contestants.

Interesting way to end the show! They were both good, so it'll be a tough choice. 

Pretty gutsy move for Olivia there, taking on Tina Turner like that (same with those who did Aretha songs). She did great, though-it was fun to see her paying tribute. I'm glad she went through. There's a lot of really strong female vocalists this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

What happens after this now?   Live shows with no audience?   Or would even putting on a live show mean too much togetherness for all the crew?   There's so much talent in the top 20 this year, I hope they figure out a way to finish out the season.  

Katy acted as close to 'normal' as she ever has.   It would be nice if she could keep it up.   But she still makes me even miss Paula, something that never would have seemed possible.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 5
(edited)

I've never understood Aliana -- she is the one with the emotional support animal.  I would have traded her for Demi Rae Moreno, who I've always liked.

I think that Grace is so much better than Lauren.  I feel like the judges clearly agreed.  What, are they afraid that American won't like Grace because she's too old so they came up with this bullshit voting ploy to escape responsibility?

Other than that I understand all of the picks.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

What happens after this now?   Live shows with no audience?   Or would even putting on a live show mean too much togetherness for all the crew?   There's so much talent in the top 20 this year, I hope they figure out a way to finish out the season.  

Same. I just feel so bad for those who got through, seeing how excited they were. I can only imagine how frustrated and sad they must be right now. 

I could see the show having it where they can all perform songs online, but then they'd have to find a way to coordinate that so that the judges and the audience can see all the performances each week. That could be a bit tough, but if they can do something like that...

Edited by Annber03
(edited)

I don't really have any issue with the 9 guys they picked, from who we were shown and who made it to the Top 40 in Hawaii I think they got it pretty much right. I didn't watch the audition episodes super close, was the little blonde haired kid's initial audition shown? I wondered what he would've sounded like.

This is (if we get a continuation in some form), a season they wanted something other than country to win. With zero country guys and Grace and Lauren competing for one spot, pretty obvious. Both should've made Top 10 or 11 Girls.

I would've traded Geena, Shannon, and Kamryn who all got cut last week for Julia who clearly only got through to be fodder, Aliana, and one of teens...maybe Mickayla or Olivia. Although, Cyniah..the one with a stank attitude is going to get a rude awakening in the first couple weeks of the hypothetical live shows. To make room for Lauren and Grace both, I might have also axed Kimmy...didn't think her Hawaii performance was all that great. Also surprised that Genevieve was a no too, seemed almost like the show was slightly more invested in her story this 2nd time around versus her voice.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

I really feel sorry for whichever girl loses in the vote off! They are both 28 so this is their last chance...wish they would just go with both of them! Of course, I wonder how the show will go on now but knowing Idol, it will be some strange way!

Also, did anyone else notice that not one mention of Layne but Alejandro got blessed by that old Hawaiian women in a scene from last year?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Also, did anyone else notice that not one mention of Layne but Alejandro got blessed by that old Hawaiian women in a scene from last year?

Between this and Alejandro being in one of the Hollywood eps while Laine has not been mentioned at all makes me wonder if him and TPTB have issues.

I didn't care enough to vote but I'd rather see Grace make it than Lauren.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

They are both 28

Lauren is 26, fwiw.  

I just don't like Cyniah for some reason, and 'Lady Marmalade' should be banned for anyone under 21. Squick. I have a strong suspicion she had no idea what she was singing in French. 

Olivia is cute as a button and obviously in good shape, but she's got a way to go before she can match 1966-era Tina's breath control (and legs). Little girl was panting. LOL at Luke doing the correct arm moves imitating Tina.

Francisco's joy in performing is infectious (maybe the wrong word right now!). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Lauren is 26, fwiw.  

Just wondering where you got this info? I ran my recording back to check their ages and both said 28. 

Plus I read this, "There is no information disclosed regarding her exact date of birth but she is 28 years old which means her birth year should be 1992"  and this from an Idol article, "With only one spot remaining, the judges revealed that they can’t (and won’t!) choose between the two remaining contestants, Grace Leer and Lauren Mascitti. In the judges’ defense, both women are 28-year-old country powerhouses from Nashville, so comparisons are bound to be drawn. That said, I’m not really sure why they weren’t both sent through to the Top 20 over some of the previous contestants that the judges weren’t 100-percent certain about. And there were several of those."

This is the last year for both according to the ages given and I always feel sorry because they cannot come back(if there is another season!)

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Just wondering where you got this info? I ran my recording back to check their ages and both said 28

You're correct- these old eyes saw a '6' instead of '8'. And interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any official date of birth anyplace online, which makes me wonder if she may actually be older 🤨

• Love 1

Gee, judges, maybe if you hadn't put through three screeching teenagers, none of whom sounded good and one of whom sounded absolutely terrible on that Demi Lovato song, there'd be room in the Top 20 for both very talented country singers, Amber AND the woman with the raspy voice who was lightyears better than last week's singer from Louisiana with a billion and one affectations.

That said, I'm glad they sent home Robert, who clearly did not listen to what they told him about vocal acrobatics, and Genavieve Linkowski who had a decent voice but was really only there because of her sob story.

33 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

That said, I’m not really sure why they weren’t both sent through to the Top 20 over some of the previous contestants that the judges weren’t 100-percent certain about.

It's pretty clear TPTB don't want a country singer to win this year.  So I hope whichever one gets through the vote-off wins the whole shebang.  Although, if I were a betting woman, I'd put money on Dillon James taking the title this season.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, suebee12 said:

They are both 28 so this is their last chance.

Is there an age limit of 30? If so, couldn't they come back next year?

I agree that there are some excellent singers this season. 

(edited)

Someone upthread said Cyniah had a "stank" attitude which I totally agree with---along with entitlement, arrogance, and lack of grace. Her voice is strong, but not pleasant or sweet. I would like to see her do a slow song with no yelling.

I like Grace over Lauren, whose old boyfriend squicks me out. He's almost twice her age. Ewwww.  Lauren needs to tone down the makeup also. Grace seems more real, natural. 

Olivia? the teen with the dreads is also too full of herself and her laughable dance moves. She needs a few years of growth.

LOVE Arthur.  LOVE Just Sam.

Genevieve really leaned on her dead sister too much, as did the blonde English guy about his friend. I guess Gen and her sister had a popular podcast or something, so I expect to see Gen again somewhere, somehow. Her voice was ok. I liked her looks too. 

I really liked DemiRae. She was different and beautiful as well. Too much nerves?

Same with depression sunflower girl. She sounded just like Adele which is not great for making your own mark.

I realllly reallly like Kimmy Gabriela, the girl with the "famous" father musician. She's beautiful sings awesomely, and seems unaffected.  Again, natural and nice. She did need to do a better uplifting song.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 6

Confused about a lot of what went on last night, in terms of the female picks the judges made.

Let me start with the obvious: Grace is 10 times the singer Lauren is, and has proved it every step of the way. That shouldn't have been a question. I was so insulted by the "split" that I immediately threw 10 votes to Grace on the app. 

That one piano-playing girl, whose name escapes me, completely biffed the big end of her Hawaii showcase, and they put her through anyway. She sounded legitimately awful. WHY was she advanced by the judges?? Did that round not matter at all? They lose credibility when they make those decisions...

...especially when better singers are let go. Shannon and Demi Rae were both fantastic and were sent packing. I know there might be better singers, but someone who cracked and croaked through her song isn't one of them. Just ugh, not here for decisions like that. 

Truly not hearing what they're hearing in some ways. Kimmie was also terrible. She has a nice voice but no clue how to use it. And honestly, most of these singers, from 17 to 28, have questionable taste levels. Please pick a song with a melody and stop riffing all over the place. Sad a guy went home for this but Kimmie was sent through. 

McKayla and Lauren Two Last Names are awesome. Arthur Gunn is wonderful. Cyniah is going to get Mandisa'd soon. She is coming off as a little too sure of herself and beyond her years in a way middle America won't vote for. And that's a shame because her voice is incredible. But... no one under 21 should ever sing Lady Marmalade on a show like this. And she didn't do anything special with it. It never built. Watching her perform it made me uncomfortable. And this is  coming from someone who sang it at the top of my lungs at 13 when Moulin Rouge came out. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I'm just here to make my yearly proclamation that I'm glad that Colin Kaepernick still has his gig playing bass.

That is all.

Are you the one that called him sex on a stick last year?!  Lol.

• Love 1
On 4/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, sempervivum said:

I just don't like Cyniah for some reason, and 'Lady Marmalade' should be banned for anyone under 21. Squick. I have a strong suspicion she had no idea what she was singing in French. 

Olivia is cute as a button and obviously in good shape, but she's got a way to go before she can match 1966-era Tina's breath control (and legs). Little girl was panting. LOL at Luke doing the correct arm moves imitating Tina.

Plus one on the teenager singing Lady Marmalade! I find it such an inappropriate choice. And I must be a crabby old lady now, but enough with the precocious teens. When it comes time to vote, they never win.  And this is part of the problem - nobody wants to hear a little girl singing a mature song that they have zero life experience to truly imbue the song with. It just becomes polished karaoke at that point, which is what I thought Cyniah and Olivia did. Just no. Great voices, but no.

I thought out of all of them I like Kimmy and Makayla the best. Maybe because they picked Demi Lovato songs which are somewhat more age appropriate.....

My favorites are Julia and Sophia.

There are a lot of strong girls this season. I think all of the guys are in trouble except Arthur who everyone loves. Well, not everyone. I don't understand the appeal. He is boring to me. I might be the only one that doesn't like him though.......

At this point all of this seems pointless. Is the season even going to finish???? Blech - what a mess......stay safe and healthy everyone!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

There are a lot of strong girls this season. I think all of the guys are in trouble except Arthur who everyone loves. Well, not everyone. I don't understand the appeal. He is boring to me. I might be the only one that doesn't like him though.......

I actually had the opposite impression!  None of the girls really stood out to me, but I think both Arthur and Dillon are bringing something special.  I haven't been invested in a contestant for years, and to have two stand out was pretty remarkable to me.

Of course differing opinions can make for a compelling season -- if we get to have a season at all!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, leocadia said:

Of course differing opinions can make for a compelling season -- if we get to have a season at all!

True that! Music is definitely subjective. I recognize I am in the minority about Arthur, which is why I said what I said. I prefer Francisco or the British kid, but not because I think they are anything great, but more because I like the type of music they do. I am not into whatever it is Arthur is doing.

I like Dillon as a person, and as someone from Central California myself, I have to root for the guy from Bakersfield, but again, I just am not into the type of music he does.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

There are a lot of strong girls this season. I think all of the guys are in trouble ...

There really are a lot of strong women this season, so much so that there are more women than men in the Top 20/1. Yet, I feel like Dillon and Arthur are the frontrunners.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

There really are a lot of strong women this season, so much so that there are more women than men in the Top 20/1. Yet, I feel like Dillon and Arthur are the frontrunners.

You are probably correct. I would consider Just Sam is up there too, but women are at a disadvantage just by nature of being a woman when thinking about the history of the show. I know since the "new" ABC seasons started, we have one female and one male winner, but historically, it's better odds to bet on a man winning than any woman.....

• Love 5

I forgot about Just Sam!  She has just the right combination of talent, humility and authenticity to make her a favorite of mine as well.  She really looked and sounded great in the Hawaii round, if she keeps up to that standard she might go far too!

• Love 6
On 4/5/2020 at 10:31 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've never understood Aliana -- she is the one with the emotional support animal.  I would have traded her for Demi Rae Moreno, who I've always liked.

I think that Grace is so much better than Lauren.  I feel like the judges clearly agreed.  What, are they afraid that American won't like Grace because she's too old so they came up with this bullshit voting ploy to escape responsibility?

Other than that I understand all of the picks.

Demi Rae NEEDS to be on this show. Shocked and appalled that she was bypassed. It just goes to show you....Song choice and the chance of an off, or "mediocre" night can doom even the best singers.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2020 at 6:14 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I love a great male singer-songwriter type and the old school guys but if American Idol is all about the search for a marketable, radio and record friendly voice, Dillon and especially Arthur, CANNOT be frontrunners. Those niche, "Schtick" performers (think Taylor Hicks) should not have placed higher than Elliott Yamin or Katherine McPhee back in the day. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what they bring to the table, but there are just so many talented girls who can and should be in the recording studio RIGHT NOW. Really pleased with the talent level this season.

• Love 2