Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: The Girl in the Locket

• Start Topic

I'm gonna say that these few episodes, once they started actually giving us answers, have been a whole of a hell lot better than any of the first 13 episodes. Now that they've gotten rid of the filler stuff (as the show was clearly building to all of this in the first place), we can get to the really good stuff. Now it feels like the show isn't holding back.

The scenes with Nancy and Ryan were really great. I feel like Ryan, as a character, hasn't been used well and I honestly expected them to kill Ryan off this season since his character hasn't had a whole lot to do. So having him as Nancy's father does solidify him into the group, at least for a while longer. Plus, it's not fun to see how much Nancy is struggling with this revelation, but it's also the best plot they have. 

Poor Nancy; I cannot blame her at ALL for reacting poorly. Carson sincerely screwed up by not being honest. Nancy and Ryan both have every right to be pissed at him. I even love that Ryan didn't even end up punching him when he finally confronted Carson; he just looked...hurt. 

Bess' family stuff is going to be frustrating to watch. Of course she's going to be forced by the Marvin family to use her connection with Lisbeth to gain intel on the police. Girl has got herself deep into some trouble, unfortunately for her. Speaking of Lisbeth, she's another one, besides Ryan, who I thought was surely going to die this season. And she still might.

Speaking of who didn't survive the season? Owen, which is no surprise. Honestly, I thought he might die, but I was banking on either him or Ryan as the season 1 death. I guess he drew the short straw, especially after last episode's reveal. And yeah, as soon as Nancy confirmed that she'd be leaving for New York, that signed his death warrant.

George/Nick are still hella cute. I know the show will inevitably split them up, but at least give them a few episodes! Or a full season. 

I didn't know if I'd stick around with this show, but the last three episodes or so have been really, really strong.

• Love 8
(edited)

My first thought when the Alglaeca spell didn’t work was that Ryan isn’t really Nancy’s father. Is there proof? Didn’t the hair test link her to Lucy Sable? Is it possible someone else fathered Nancy?

Ryan figuring out who Nancy is from that tiny picture in the locket seemed far fetched. 

Bess was gorgeous in her party dress. 

Edited by DietCokeJunkie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Definitely will give the show credit for not dragging stuff out anymore, with Ryan already finding out about Lucy being pregnant and Nancy being his daughter.  Not surprised both of them are in a rough spot at the moment, and I'm curious to see where this relationship goes.  But Ryan really did not start things off well by going "Well, if the water demon took out Owen, that would save me some competition!"  Maybe keep your self-centered, somewhat psychotic thoughts to yourself, buddy.

I understand why Nancy is upset, but I do feel bad for Carson and I did cringe a bit when Nancy starting referring to Katherine by her name instead of mom.  She might not be related to her biologically, but it seems like Katherine raised her well, so I think this is going to be one of those things Nancy is going to regret once she calms down.

Oh, Bess!  She really is starting to realize what she has gotten herself into with the Marvins.  Hope she gets through it unscathed and nothing bad happens with her relationship with Lisbeth.  But until then, I'm all for seeing more of Maddison Jaizani getting dressed up!

Loved seeing Victoria/Liza Lapira again.  Her interactions with George and Nick were cracking me up.  Still loving those two, even though they might need to start locking the office door if owner meetings are going to end with random make-out sessions!

Ace continues to be the best friend anyone could have!

So, it looks like going forward, the two big stories (other than the Nancy/Ryan drama) are going to be a) dealing with this pissed off water demon, who may or may not have been a person at one point, so that's why their spell didn't work and b) Owen's death and if it is related to said water demon or maybe something else is going on.  Should be fun!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

Nancy is really burning her bridges fast. I was hoping she would end up sleeping in a cardboard box under a bridge in the rain. But, I bet Ace or Beth will let Nancy crash at their place.

Nancy wouldn't be pregnant with Owen's baby, now that would be an interesting merger of the two richest families in town.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I thought the bit where Ryan told Nancy it would be good for him if Owen died rang a little false; I just don't buy him flat-out telling Nancy he wants anyone dead, especially for such petty reasons. I know why the writers did it -- they needed a reason to remind Nancy that Ryan is morally pretty shitty -- but it would have worked better if he'd played it off as a joke, like she initially thought he was. That would actually have made him look more suspicious now that Owen is actually dead; Ryan's not stupid enough to seriously confess that he wants someone gone hours before that person winds up (seemingly) murdered. I'm sure he'll be a suspect, though!

I like how quickly the plot has been moving lately, and I like how the resolution to the first couple of mysteries actually made sense. The show's really hitting its stride.

• Love 9

High five to the doctor who refused to reveal confidential patient information! Too many shows act like HIPAA doesn't exist and it's so annoying. When she told Ryan that she wasn't going to break the law for him I wanted to hug her. Finally, someone who isn't all loosey goosey about medical ethics!

Look, I feel for Ryan and I understand why he wanted to know if Lucy was pregnant, but trying to appeal to a doctor about "trying to see the human side of things" doesn't work on most medical professionals. Resorting to being a rich bully isn't a good look either, Ryan.

The season started with Ryan being a rich jerk and then he mellowed into a somewhat ally of the Scooby gang. Although I think the jerky things he did in this episode (casually mentioning that it wouldn't be the worst thing for him if Owen died, threatening to buy the clinic just to shut it down, leaving Nancy on the side of the road) were not out of character for someone we know has been shown to be a spoiled rich boy, I think it was more because the show wanted to give Nancy (and the audience) multiple reminders of what a jerk he could be so that she would have good reason to hesitate about telling him that he was her father.

But for the record, I understand why Ryan would be upset. Yes, he was a dumb teenager at the time and he admitted to Nancy that he wasn't ready to be a father at 18, but that doesn't make it hurt any less that Lucy and the Drew family kept this HUGE secret from him. When Ryan was finally face to face with Carson, he was honest about how upset he was that the Drews took away his opportunity to raise Nancy. We'll see how long before that festers into the desire to destroy Carson because if nothing else, we know Ryan can be petty.

If that happens, hopefully it will make Nancy realize that no matter how mad she is at Carson for keeping this secret, she doesn't want Ryan to blow up Carson's life.

So I guess next season's big mystery will be who killed Owen?

I loved Bess giving George and Nick shit for making out in the back room.

Nancy's cover is me in real life - babies all look the same.

Hey, maybe Bess and Nancy can start the Horseshoe Bay chapter of Secretly Related to the Richest Families in Town.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I thought the actress who plays Nancy did a really wonderful job conveying her pain throughout the whole episode. 

And if it's not bad enough that Nancy discovers her whole life was a lie, but now her somewhat boyfriend is dead, too. Poor girl can't catch a break. 

I really like Nancy and Ace's friendship/chemistry. I wouldn't mind if the show went there, eventually. 

Lastly, I felt bad for Carson, too. He was put in a difficult position and he and Kate did a good job raising Nancy. I understand why she's upset and treating him the way she is, but I still felt horrible for him. He loves her and for all intents and purposes, she is his daughter. Blood isn't everything. Plus, did she really want to be raised by Ryan and the Hudsons?

• Love 10
(edited)

I definitely felt for Carson. He already knew the Hudsons were shady as fuck so he was trying to honor Lucy’s wishes as well as protect the baby from the Hudson family. And aside from this (admittedly huge) secret, he and his wife did a pretty good job as parents. They raised Nancy as if she were their own and they clearly loved her. I understand Nancy being hurt and angry but hopefully with some time and perspective, she will understand that they thought they were making the best possible choice for her by keeping her away from the Hudsons and not burdening her with that secret.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

My first thought when the Alglaeca spell didn’t work was that Ryan isn’t really Nancy’s father. Is there proof? Didn’t the hair test link her to Lucy Sable? Is it possible someone else fathered Nancy?

My initial thought more spawns out of the conversation about maybe the Aglaeca was human, and that the ritual wasn't meant for something that was human. I thought the ritual actually will end up requiring close family (not necessarily a blood relative), which in this case would be Carson.

2 hours ago, mommalib said:

All I got to say is bye bye Owen. Now back to Nick and Nancy.

They certainly pivoted from that quickly....almost as quickly as they did James and Kara on Supergirl.....Maybe it is just me but I see George and Nick more as really good friends. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, catrice2 said:

They certainly pivoted from that quickly....almost as quickly as they did James and Kara on Supergirl.....Maybe it is just me but I see George and Nick more as really good friends. 

They did pivot quickly, but it looks like you see the pattern. George and Nick have no sexual chemistry they're cute but Nancy and Nick have passion like in the episode where he was the man of her dreams.

Aw, Ryan deduced who Nancy was. Good for him. Maybe there's some nature involved in those detective skills after all. I appreciate that he was upset about not getting to raise Nancy.  I originally assumed when the ritual didn't work that it went wrong because he wasn't actually the father, but I prefer the "wrong kind of spirit" explanation.  I don't want a "who's Nancy's dad?" mystery. 

On 4/8/2020 at 11:01 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

Ryan figuring out who Nancy is from that tiny picture in the locket seemed far fetched.

In fairness, I think he knew something was up based on the way Nancy reacted to what he said and some basic math skills.

I liked Bess's reaction when Nancy told them. Even more I liked when she was confused and nosy about how she and Ryan were related, but Ace won best moment for ignoring the awkwardness and just doing the spell anyway. I love Alex Saxon, I really do. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I guess his death is the next mystery to solve.

I’m gonna need some good old fashioned detective work on this one. Oh, and an actual murder. Wait, did we ever solve Mrs. Hudson’s death? I honestly can’t remember.

• Love 1

I realized when I started watching this episode that I didn't watch the last 5 minutes of the last one.  

This episode was alright.  The supernatural Aglaeca stuff was just a contrived way to get Nancy to interact with Ryan now that she knew her paternity.  There really was no mystery in this one.  I don't know why this show's scenes feel so staged to me.  The fuzzy soft-focus way they shoot the show is really distracting.

While I understand why Nancy would be angry at being lied to by Carson, she just came off bratty like she was earlier this season when this show first started.

Owen didn't need to be present at the ritual?  

I hope Owen's death is suspicious and not caused by the Aglaeca, because Nancy would need a new case.  If they're going to pick off the remaining recurring supporting character, then the murderer would probably be Lisabeth.

I guess the other possible mystery is finding out the person who became the Aglaeca Monster.  Probably Nancy's great-grandma.

1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

I’m gonna need some good old fashioned detective work on this one. Oh, and an actual murder. Wait, did we ever solve Mrs. Hudson’s death? I honestly can’t remember.

Tiffany was murdered by Lucy Sable's brother, can't remember his name. And the police woman, can't remember her name but she was dating Carson and she was Lucy's bff, helped him do it. Oh and it was an accident. They meant to kill Ryan Hudson because they thought he killed Lucy. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

Tiffany was murdered by Lucy Sable's brother, can't remember his name. And the police woman, can't remember her name but she was dating Carson and she was Lucy's bff, helped him do it. Oh and it was an accident. They meant to kill Ryan Hudson because they thought he killed Lucy. 

Thanks. I think I missed one episode.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:15 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Speaking of Lisbeth, she's another one, besides Ryan, who I thought was surely going to die this season. And she still might.

Here's hoping! She annoys the ever loving crap outta me. And she looks like Bess' much older identical twin sister lol so I find that super distracting when they're kissing. Plus, they just have zero chem to me. And I really hate her haircut. OK, I'm done with my Lisbeth hate. For now!

On 4/8/2020 at 11:01 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

I had the same thought. I hope they stick with the 'Alglaeca was human so it was the wrong spell' though because I'm not down for another round of Nancy finding out she has a different father.

10 hours ago, Camera One said:

The fuzzy soft-focus way they shoot the show is really distracting.

Yes! When Bess was talking to her relatives at the pool table I was like why the hell is this so blurry? It's stupid.

While I understand why Nancy would be angry at being lied to by Carson, she just came off bratty like she was earlier this season when this show first started.

Thank you. She was annoying and I felt much more for Carson in all those scenes. I'm gonna need her to get perspective real quick because I'm not down to watch her whine episode after episode about Carson and Kate doing the thing they thought was right and exactly what Lucy asked them to do.

• Love 3
On 4/9/2020 at 11:07 PM, catrice2 said:

Same.. But its the CW... So you know... Also agreed that Nancy was just cruel to Carson.. And as usual kinda crappy to her friends... But still it was an enjoyable episode so.. Ima keep coming back

• Love 1

And the thing about George and Nick that gets me the most is that.. I'm probably person number one complaining how the two networks that seem to aim most of their programming at my generation (CW and Freeform)  seem so averse to having minority interracial relationships... But those two feel like they were thrown together almost entirely to not have nick with Nancy right now... So it feels forced and doomed... 

• Love 3
On 4/8/2020 at 10:01 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

Bess was gorgeous in her party dress. 

I need them to do a DNA test. 

I noticed while watching this time that their instructions for the ritual were written on the back of one of the Claw's placemats (like the one they show after the end credits) which amused it. It was just so practical and a very nice touch by the show.