Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: In The Fights

Airing April 6, 2020:

Emily's season-long composure and compartmentalization nosedives when she defends a young man charged with felony domestic violence. Also, Lola struggles with supporting Robin's distant job offer, and causes a rift with Mark when she reprimands his girlfriend, Amy, for grandstanding in the courtroom.

• Useful 1

Yeah, Emily's not in a place where she can defend a domestic violence case.  Unfortunately, in the public defender's office she will come up against it again and again.  I hope she gets some help.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, bunnyface said:

Yeah, Emily's not in a place where she can defend a domestic violence case.  Unfortunately, in the public defender's office she will come up against it again and again.  I hope she gets some help.

Agree.  Lovely that her roomie and boyfriend were there for her.

• Love 9

Wow.  That scene in the kitchen.  Wow.  Both actresses were all in.

What an episode.  I like how this is developing into an ensemble show with strong performances from a strong cast.  I want Sara to be my best friend.  I loved tipsy Sherri and hung over Sherri.  By the size of those pillows she was huddled miserable into during her hangover scene, the actress is well along in her pregnancy.  Good. 

All that grandstanding in the courtroom was just....unseemly.  I like that Amy is standing up for herself in her relationship with Mark, but her malicious joy in taking down that junior prosecutor in the courtroom who was obviously fighting above her weight class was just ugly.  Yeah, maybe she was being given a lesson of hard knocks, but Amy was just nasty about it.  And all the cuts to her boss/partner Rachel sitting there in court with that smug look on her face encouraging her little pit-bull partner to continue was equally disgusting.

Lola kept looking her way as well.  I think we're heading to a big Rachel/Lola showdown which will kick off a season 2 story arc of continuing tension and contention with Rachel's clients in Lola's courtroom.  Mark will be in the middle.  This could be good!  Lola working that special deal for Rachel's client an episode or so back will definitely come back to bite her.

Good show.  Strong episode.  I'm in for another season, no problem!

• Love 16
4 hours ago, bunnyface said:

Therapy hasn't been mentioned for Emily and I hope it is. She has a great support system in Luke and Sarah but I think she needs more help dealing with the fallout from her abusive marriage.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

All that grandstanding in the courtroom was just....unseemly.  I like that Amy is standing up for herself in her relationship with Mark, but her malicious joy in taking down that junior prosecutor in the courtroom who was obviously fighting above her weight class was just ugly.  Yeah, maybe she was being given a lesson of hard knocks, but Amy was just nasty about it.  And all the cuts to her boss/partner Rachel sitting there in court with that smug look on her face encouraging her little pit-bull partner to continue was equally disgusting.

Totally agree. Amy's "that's the [objection] you're looking for, sweetie" was SO condescending and awful. Ugh. I think I'm supposed to like her since Mark does, but I haven't warmed up to her yet.

Are they setting up Lola and Robin for marital issues?

A couple of times now, they've showed a character working out and played a song I've enjoyed enough to Shazam and add to one of my workout playlists. In the episode where Luke was running and was stopped by the cops, he was listening to a song called "Superhuman" that's in my regular rotation now. Emily was kickboxing to "Breathe Out" by Cade Foehner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Wow. Powerful episode. Jessica Camacho was amazing. I hated to see her fall apart like that, but I'm glad she (and her friends) suspected that she isn't as "fine" as she thought she was. Way to push Luke away, though. I do say, I wonder what he sees in her besides her beauty. Maybe it’s me, but their relationship seems very one-sided in her favor, and I find her unnecessarily brusque with him. It usually has to do with a personal or professional issue she’s working through, but she almost never lets Luke in on it, which leaves him stuck wondering what he did wrong. He’s extremely patient and loyal, though. I just hope she returns that one day. Granted, she didn’t want to date him initially, and he continued to pursue her. But she decided on her own to date him. And she seems to like him. But Emily takes Luke for granted, IMO.

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Are they setting up Lola and Robin for marital issues?

Hmm. I wonder if he was turned down for the LA job or if he turned it down? And I know I'm in the minority, but I still ship Lola and Mark. The problem is that most TV writers are good at writing friendships and UST, but they're not good at writing actual relationships. 

• Love 3

(Small voice) am I supposed to like Emily? She doesn’t come across as sympathetic. And she treats Luke like crap. I know her breakdown was supposed to be powerful, and it was well portrayed, but I still can’t like her. 

• Love 7

That scene in the kitchen was so well done. I had difficulty watching it. I could really relate to Emily. 

My ex husband was abusive. It's been two year since we divorced and I understand why she doesn't let anyone in. It's so difficult. You don't trust yourself, much less anyone else. This brought up all kinds of memories and it's just hard. 

• Love 1

I think we can fairly say that Emily shouldn't be taking domestic violence cases for the foreseeable future, she is seriously not ready. I know she has a great support system of people in her life, but she really needs to talk to a professional. That kitchen breakdown was brutal, really great acting from everyone involved. 

Also, as much as I like Emily/Luke, I dont know if Emily is in the right head space for a serious relationship right now. She is working out a lot of trust issues and finding out how to open up to people, especially romantically, maybe it would be best if they just...pressed pause? Maybe seeing a therapist would help, but it seems like its really hard for her to be dating anyone right now. She has so many triggers (understandably) that it seems like she is always annoyed and pissed off at him, which leaves Emily even more upset and Luke hurt, even if he knows that its not really about him. Not that I want them to break up, but I think they need some outside help from a professional if they really want to make a go at this. 

Tipsy Sherri is a super fun Sherri. 

Interesting that they seem to be setting up some relationship issues between Lola and Robin (which is understandable considering the long distance) while also Amy and Mark are having some growing pains as they get more serious. Especially as some of the fight between Amy and Mark was about how close Mark and Lola are. 

Amy certainly does need to give her clients the best defense possible, but she was so needlessly brutal in that courtroom scene against that junior lawyer. The smug condescension radiating off of her and Rachel could power the entire western hemisphere. That level of grandstanding was totally unnecessary, and you could see Lola getting increasingly annoyed (especially when Amy threw out the "Sweetie" crack) by it as the trail went on. I think that this is headed towards a Lola Vs Rachel showdown by the end of the season, with Mark caught in the middle.  

• Love 6

I think it's funny that Amy has put her boobs away now that she's got her man. The contrast in wardrobe from the start of the season to now is shocking. I strongly prefer this look; it actually looks like business attire. But it is amazing that now that Amy's role on the show has shifted that she's suddenly wearing shirts that cover her boobs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I like that Emily is messy.  I love that Emily is messy.  She knew she wasn't quite ready for a relationship.  She tried to be honest with him and herself about that.  But she liked Luke and he liked and pursued her. So I don't really feel bad for him that he has a girlfriend whose effort to protect herself might mean she isn't as open or available to him as much as he might want her to be. 

She definitely needs therapy.  It might mean that they need to break up.  I do think there is transparency. 

Random aside: I think the way they've written the complexities of her relationship with Luke really well.  But I actually think I've seen more spark in her scenes with Mark.

I actually loved her in this episode.  She was a great lawyer for  her client as she tried to prove that her past didn't affect her.  She was falling apart and turned into a different lawyer but did a great job.  She turned into the horrible Law & Order defense lawyers.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Especially as some of the fight between Amy and Mark was about how close Mark and Lola are. 

I didn't really think it was about how close Mark and Lola were but maybe it was.  I don't think Amy has a problem with his relationship with Lola but didn't like that he assumed the dynamic he has with Lola is something he could automatically apply to his relationship with her.  I didn't like Amy in the courtroom scenes but I was on her side in her argument with Mark. In fact, it's the most I've liked Amy.

Once again, Lola and Mark's conversation about Rachel had some undertones to it--that it was weird Amy was working with her.  I still feel as if they're implying something in the past between them.

I think this show is finally starting to really gel.  I hope it gets a second season.

• Love 6

I was fucking furious with Mark for sashaying into the room and eating Amy's gherkin. And rearranging her kitchen without asking? What the hell is wrong with him??

I like Mark, but I was also on Amy's side when she blew up at him.

• Love 10
On 4/7/2020 at 9:07 PM, McKavity said:

(Small voice) am I supposed to like Emily? She doesn’t come across as sympathetic. And she treats Luke like crap. I know her breakdown was supposed to be powerful, and it was well portrayed, but I still can’t like her. 

I don't really care for her either and how she takes her rap out on Luke. Luke need to take a step back from her and consider doing it permanently. 

• Love 2

Dammit, giving up trying to quote bc I am an idiot, but wanted to agree that bitter, encroached-upon relationship Amy in this ep was the best she’s ever been. Fingers crossed it’s a good sign for the character!

Edited by leslieo54
  • Love 1
On 4/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, Irlandesa said:

Random aside: I think the way they've written the complexities of her relationship with Luke really well.  But I actually think I've seen more spark in her scenes with Mark.

I've been on this train since Mark and Emily "worked" that case together. And every time they have scenes together, I feel the same way. I know that the writers "planned" for Luke and Emily, but sometimes I feel they should go where the chemistry and organic nature of the story takes them. Jessica Camacho and Wilson Bethel have an easy, natural chemistry that I think could spark well. Also, with the background that both characters have, their characters could mesh quite, quite well.

Luke and Emily are just kinda boring.

Also, is it just me, but does it feel more and more that Emily is more the lead character than Lola lately? I mean, I like Emily, but Lola's my girl and I would rather we see her be the main focus rather than supporting. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, driver18 said:

Also, is it just me, but does it feel more and more that Emily is more the lead character than Lola lately? I mean, I like Emily, but Lola's my girl and I would rather we see her be the main focus rather than supporting. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I totally agree. I think Emily has been given a more compelling character arc than Lola, and her role in the cases is more interesting. 

I don't know if it's easier to write about a lawyer than a judge. Judges are supposed to be impartial and unemotional. And on the episodes where Lola does become emotionally involved in the cases she presides over, she's penalized for it. 

Did anyone watch "Judging Amy"? Amy Brenneman was clearly the star, so how did they do it?

I even want Lola's personal life to be more exciting. Her parents--yawn, her husband--yawn. My favorite Lola moments are her meetings with Mark in the stairwell. Maybe Rachel Audubon can show up more often, and the two (three) best friends can start having real conflict. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, topanga said:

Did anyone watch "Judging Amy"? Amy Brenneman was clearly the star, so how did they do it?

They focused on her home life/family more. They didn't just have one attorney at all her cases (seriously, there seems to be about 5 DAs (but never Mark), but only one on the defense side?). So there was a little bit of her "work life" (her interactions with, shoot, her baliff (?) (Richard T. Jones) and her clerk and a bit on the cases), but there was a lot more with her family (brother, sister and her family, but mostly her mom (and mom's work/associates)). There really isn't any balance between "work" and "non-work" storylines for Lola, whereas we get a ton of both for Emily.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

There really isn't any balance between "work" and "non-work" storylines for Lola, whereas we get a ton of both for Emily.

Ding, ding, ding! That's it right there! That's why Emily feels like the lead and not Lola.

Lola has the bench and Mark... and that's it.

Plus, she has the supporting scenes with Sherri, Judge Brenner, Sara, Emily, Luke (before), her parents, Rachel, etc. We barely know what Lola's home looks like.

Emily has her myriad cases that really go into depth and Luke, and Sara, and we definitely know what her home looks like! Plus, we know A LOT about her background and issues.

She also has her supporting scenes with Mark, Sherri, Lola, her PD friend, the DA (Mark's boss).

• Love 2
On 4/15/2020 at 2:41 PM, topanga said:

On 4/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, illdoc said:

They focused on her home life/family more. 

Should've done both quotes. My response was based on your question and @illdoc's answer. Amy had a strong co-star, who was a family member, Tyne Daly.

• Love 2
On 4/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, mojito said:

Should've done both quotes. My response was based on your question and @illdoc's answer. Amy had a strong co-star, who was a family member, Tyne Daly.

Thanks. Tyne Daly does make everything better. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I’ve been binge watching the series and agree about Emily sometimes feeling more like the lead. I think she just has the more interesting back story. Lola is the judge so her background needs to be a bit simpler as otherwise she wouldn’t be believable as the judge. Emily is one of those characters who gets emotionally involved in everything so I think she’s going to be a character people either love or hate.

Im starting to agree about Emily/Luke. She has too much baggage and comes off very brusque on him. I think he deals with it well but I’m not sure i think they’re that well matched. I thought he had a flirtation with Samantha a few episodes back, did they just drop that? I quite like Samantha now.

Contrary the scenes with her and Callan have much more of a spark. If the show goes beyond a few seasons I could definitely see them going there. 

I thought the scene with Mark and Amy was hilarious and I was 100% on her side. I like Mark but i could see why he was working her last nerve. It was the most I’ve enjoyed them as a couple.

Edited by Avabelle