Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Donald The Normal

(edited)

I laughed when Amantha ate the giant burger and then told her mom she had a salad for supper but it was filling because it had cheese on it. Really liked "Donald's" interaction with the red headed woman. I still dislike Teddy and if he honestly wanted a heart to heart talk about Daniel he should have gone to his minister instead of the sheriff, he is trying to get Daniel put back in jail. Don't blame Daniel for blowing off the picture taking guy, but kind of makes me feel a bit for "celebrities" that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I would have freaked out if I came home to that kitchen mess. Are they trying to make us suspicious that Daniel is capable of the crime?

Edited by Armchair Critic

My husband and I agreed that Frances Fisher was splendid and has never looked better.

I hurt myself laughing at the sheriff's line about coffee grounds "matriculating" down into the crack area.

As Small Town Authenticity Cop I do have to cite one violation: I highly doubt that town has five take-out places. Ehh, I'll let them off with a warning.

Aw, Kerwin's mama. I was so glad she was able to confirm for Daniel that his love for his friend was reciprocated.

So I guess now Amantha will be annoying the crap out of everyone at Thrifty Town?

• Love 2

I didn't like the music score in the scene where Teddy and Carl are having their conversation. It's kind of a pet peeve with me when scenes are overscored. Here the dialogue was kind of humorous, what with the matriculating remark and a couple of other ones, and I thought the music was incongruous. IMO there didn't need to be any music during this scene.

I also thought the music or sounds during the scene where Daniel starts opening cupboards was weird. It wasn't really music, at least not at first. They were more noises. Maybe they were supposed to be stylized sounds of construction -- hammering and so forth -- kind of in Daniel's head as he imagined redoing the kitchen. I found it distracting.

I loved Daniel's visit with Kerwin's mother and brother, but I kept worrying that something bad was going to happen, that Daniel would say something that would start an argument or something ugly. I'm so glad that didn't happen.

What city was he in?

I hated that guy in the diner who wanted Daniel's picture. After he got pissed off, Daniel apologized, but the guy didn't care. I hope he did delete the photo. I was imagining that having the photo out on the internet was going start some kind of unpleasant publicity for Daniel and create more problems.

Oh, and I liked Daniel's interaction with the homeless guy at the beginning. He gets directions from him, then gives him money, then when he hesitates, the guy runs him off. It makes me smile just picturing it.

• Love 2

"In hindsight . . . "    "Really?"  I laughed out loud and was glad that the writers just left it there, didn't try to explain it. 

Re demolishing the kitchen -- I don't know what set him off --  maybe it was looking at those takeout menus and remembering the asshole in the diner.  I like that Daniel's not suddenly "normal" after just a few weeks.

He always says the right thing -- not what he thinks people want to hear, he's so honest and thoughtful.  It really showed in the visit with Kerwin's family.  And that hint from Kerwin's mother that she's just a teensy bit resentful that Daniel's mom can hug her son and she can't. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel like the only Amantha fan here, but I especially liked her in this episode. We really got the motivation behind her character in that interview. We knew her whole life has revolved around Daniel, but for her to lay out for her prospective employer why she needs the job and needs to stay in Paulie makes me get her and empathize with her even more. She can be very short and blunt, but in her shoes, I can't say I wouldn't be as well. She was so sad in that car destroying that burger with ketchup on her face.

As much as I cannot stand Ted Jr., I did appreciate that he realized that Daniel was trying to teach him a lesson, rather than just outright assault him as a power trip. When you tell someone that they can stop a rape if they want to, well, as a victim myself, that's bound to set a person off. I wouldn't do what Daniel did, but it would take everything in me to not beat the piss out of the person, and I am a petite pacifist.

The stuff with Kerwin's family killed me. Best episode yet.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 7

I still dislike Teddy and if he honestly wanted a heart to heart talk about Daniel he should have gone to his minister instead of the sheriff, he is trying to get Daniel put back in jail.

Having lived in the Deep South, I think a Southern Baptist minister is about the last person any male victim of sexual assault would go to for counsel.

• Love 5

As soon as I realized Daniel was at Kerwin's family's place, I got choked up. Then the whole scene...just so well done.

I am amazed at how fully realized, how genuinely touching and affecting Daniel and Kerwin's relationship is and was considering how little actual screentime has been given to it. I love that friendship, love Kerwin so much, and Daniel's broken delivery of the line about missing Kerwin every day just got me right in the heart. This damn show makes me cry almost every week!

Peeayebee, I am glad it wasn't just us (the Hubs and me) annoyed and baffled by the music choices this episode. It was terrible and distracting. We actually wondered if we were hearing the right track, if somehow the On Demand showing had the wrong music with it, that's how bad it was!

Teddy, Teddy. You do not deserve Tawney and you are wearing out any understanding of your position/situation that I had. Please stop being an ass. And soon.

Mindy, I am an Amantha fan, too. You are not alone! She may annoy on occasion but I get why she is who she is. Her loyalty to Daniel is what makes me like her so much.

Man, that remodel is going quickly if nothing else, huh? Hahaha.

• Love 1

Another great episode.  This show is slowly cementing itself as my favorite currently airing on television.  I loved all the scenes with Daniel in Atlanta, and Teddy's scene with the Sheriff was some welcome comic relief.  Actually a lot of this episode had a much lighter tone than the rest of the series, and it was a good time for it.  This is a heavy, brooding series overall and there's no doubt it will go back to that, but a nice respite that happens to be just as engaging as the heavier stuff is the sign of a truly excellent show.

I actually find myself feeling bad for Teddy, which is strange since it wouldn't be wrong as an audience to see what had happened to him as comeuppance. That's been one of the best things about this season, showing that what Daniel did was wrong, which Daniel himself realizes. Just because Teddy was being an insensitive asshole, is not an excuse for perpetuating the wrongs that were inflicted on him while in prison.

Teddy's behavior, the distancing of himself from everyone, the lashing out, are all ways of him trying to cope with and come to terms with being shamed and victimized in such a fashion that shook every fundamental concept of how he defines himself as a man. That the show is not shying away from that is really commendable.

• Love 4

I actually find myself feeling bad for Teddy, which is strange since it wouldn't be wrong as an audience to see what had happened to him as comeuppance. That's been one of the best things about this season, showing that what Daniel did was wrong, which Daniel himself realizes. Just because Teddy was being an insensitive asshole, is not an excuse for perpetuating the wrongs that were inflicted on him while in prison.

Teddy's behavior, the distancing of himself from everyone, the lashing out, are all ways of him trying to cope with and come to terms with being shamed and victimized in such a fashion that shook every fundamental concept of how he defines himself as a man. That the show is not shying away from that is really commendable.

Do you think this is what Daniel had planned all along? After the first season we kept asking was it rape or not and if Daniel did it to show Teddy there wasn't a choice. But maybe Daniel did what he did so Teddy could begin to understand what Daniel had to live with while in jail.

• Love 1
(edited)

As Small Town Authenticity Cop I do have to cite one violation: I highly doubt that town has five take-out places. Ehh, I'll let them off with a warning.

How small is the town supposed to be? I live in a fairly small town and we have more than 5 take out places.

I feel like the only Amantha fan here, but I especially liked her in this episode.

I love Amantha and always have. She's actually my favorite character.

Another great episode.  This show is slowly cementing itself as my favorite currently airing on television.

I absolutely agree. This show is just stunningly great.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

I thought this was another great ep with the exception of any scene including Amantha. I just cannot bring myself to care about her character and don't feel that the show would suffer at all if her scenes were cut. Contrast this with Teddy - a character I don't exactly like but at least find his struggle interesting.

The scenes with Kerwin's family were very moving. The show continues to do a great job of showing Daniel's isolation and making you sympathize with him while still weaving in those doubts as to his true nature.

I wonder if the storylines of the couple taking the picture and Daniel's meeting Peggy will resurface. I keep thinking that couple will post the picture, Peggy will see it and realize who "Donald" really is and end up contacting him. Not sure, but the actress is well known so I think she may come back at some point.

I didn't like the music score in the scene where Teddy and Carl are having their conversation. It's kind of a pet peeve with me when scenes are overscored. Here the dialogue was kind of humorous, what with the matriculating remark and a couple of other ones, and I thought the music was incongruous. IMO there didn't need to be any music during this scene.

I also thought the music or sounds during the scene where Daniel starts opening cupboards was weird. It wasn't really music, at least not at first. They were more noises. Maybe they were supposed to be stylized sounds of construction -- hammering and so forth -- kind of in Daniel's head as he imagined redoing the kitchen. I found it distracting.

I thought the score was off as well this week. It definitely drew too much attention and pulled me out of the show. I don't know how to describe the music in the kitchen scenes, but thought it was trying to show his state of mind - basically that it snapped a bit.

The previews for next week worry me but so far the show hasn't let me down.

• Love 1

@peachmangosteen, maybe I've just been unlucky--also I was thinking "delivery" which isn't the same as "takeout."

Funny that so many people noticed the ineffective music; I complained about it, and usually I'm completely oblivious to background music unless my husband comments on it.

(edited)

As soon as I realized Daniel was at Kerwin's family's place, I got choked up. Then the whole scene...just so well done.

I am amazed at how fully realized, how genuinely touching and affecting Daniel and Kerwin's relationship is and was considering how little actual screentime has been given to it. I love that friendship, love Kerwin so much, and Daniel's broken delivery of the line about missing Kerwin every day just got me right in the heart. This damn show makes me cry almost every week!

Same here. Hell, I was bawling during those scenes. Nothing has touched me, given me such an emotional punch, like the scenes with Daniel and Kerwin's mother and brother.

I continue to loathe and despise Teddy, Junior.

I had to laugh when Amantha was eating that taco. Or was it a burrito? and the sauce leaving streaks on both sides of her lips, making her look like the Jokerz from Batman Beyond animated series.  Also, the actress's lapsing accent. Only a few words have the Southern accent, and most times she sounds like a Northerner.

And that groupie, asshole Rick. What an asshat. If he's been following the case, then he knows Daniel's been in prison for nearly two decades. How the FUCK would he know what Facebook or Instagram would be? It's only been two weeks.

And I'm soooo sure that Teddy didn't tell Sheriff that he taunted Daniel about wanting to be raped which led to Daniel putting him in a choke hold.

So, I guess Daniel's decided to remodel the kitchen on his own after all!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Do you think this is what Daniel had planned all along? After the first season we kept asking was it rape or not and if Daniel did it to show Teddy there wasn't a choice. But maybe Daniel did what he did so Teddy could begin to understand what Daniel had to live with while in jail.

Yes and no, to a certain extent. I think he did it to teach Teddy a lesson, but upon reflection perhaps realized that that is not a lesson anyone should be taught.

• Love 1
(edited)

Looks like Amantha has a problem with bulimia, which does seem to be a good fit for the character.  

Did I miss a specific cue, or do you mean the way she was loading up on junk food at the market? 

I read her food-related scenes as the usual Hollywood conceit--that we're supposed to believe women can eat like that and remain a size zero. (See also: Gilmore Girls.) I don't blame the show--audiences seemingly want size-zero female leads, but sometimes food-related storylines happen. Well, they happened all the time on Gilmore Girls.

Anyway, I'm just ranting now--in any case, I didn't read disordered eating in her scenes (although you've got me rethinking that weird burger scene). Just that she was bored and angsty and overindulging in a sort of immature way...

...hmm, because she was mad at her mother. Who she also lied to about eating a salad. Okay, you may be on to something. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

I just took it as her being bored and self-pitying. She didn't know what to do with herself since Daniel was out of town. Plus, her mother just told her that she should probably leave. So I saw her junk food binge as something I might do when I'm depressed and decide to chow down on chocolate.

I have a little nitpick: I don't think much time has elapsed since the last ep, but Daniel's face is practically all healed. This happens all the time in movies and TV, and I guess I understand. It might be a distraction to have the character have his bruised and swollen face for several eps. So it doesn't really bother me. It's just something that I notice.

(edited)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt uncomfortable with the scoring this episode.  It actually made my puppy go a little crazy at one point because he couldn't figure out what the sounds were.  It was so different and strange.  It did seem to fit with the theme of the episode, though, so it might have been effective.  It made the audience feel out of place and off-balanced which is how some of our main characters are feeling.

I've also noticed that this show really isn't suited to commercial TV.  The breaks always seem to come out of nowhere and sometimes feel like they enter when a scene hasn't even finished.  I'm not sure if that's intentional or if the editors just aren't doing a very good job. 

I wonder if redhead (Peggy?) is on Facebook and I wonder if she'll see the pic (because obviously the dude isn't going to delete it).  I would like to see Frances Fisher again.  

Haha, I had the same thought.  It made me wonder how big Paulie is supposed to be, because having even one take out place would be pretty impressive.  I grew up in a small town - population 1,014.  There's still no take out.  I had assume Paulie was the same size. But it much be much, much larger. 

I just took it as her being bored and self-pitying. She didn't know what to do with herself since Daniel was out of town. Plus, her mother just told her that she should probably leave. So I saw her junk food binge as something I might do when I'm depressed and decide to chow down on chocolate.

That's how I saw it, too.  Definitely not an indication of a serious eating disorder.  Rather a reflection of how out of control her life must feel now that she's no longer chasing a singular cause. 

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1

I didn't pick up on any eating disorder theme with Amantha, just bored and aimless eating to match her state of mind. I wonder though how soon it'll be before she's booted from the new job. As soon as a customer makes a damning remark about Daniel, Amantha's gonna raise holy hell.

"Donald's" Atlanta adventures were illuminating, to say the least. Absolutely loved Peggy's interaction with Daniel and seeing Frances Fisher in the role. Almost everything said between those two were quotable quote-worthy. I do want to see her back in Daniel's company and as an ally - as opposed to someone who sees only a quirk, or a flake. Peggy , I feel, will most definitely lay eyes on the photo of Daniel and the two others on Facebook or somewhere and track him down.

As well, I loved the scenes with Daniel and Kerwin's family. I immediately choked up and whimpered a couple of times. The meeting of those three people who knew & loved the good things about Kerwin just tugged on my heartstrings. Daniel's visit was a blessing to K's mother.

I listened to this episode with headphones for the first time and thought the quirkier-than-usual scoring was amazing, and was somewhat surprised to read complaints. There was nothing distracting in the least for me. Definitely different but fitting IMO.

Another great episode with the exception maybe being the awkward coffee-grounds-trickling-into-the-anal-cavity admission by Teddy to Carl. Teddy's a tool. Strange that he would even bring up that conversation at all if he wanted no one else to ever know. The only thing that doesn't make Teddy a complete dumbass is that Teddy realized Daniel was trying to teach him some "strange psychological lesson". No, I take it back. Teddy is a complete dumbass.

• Love 3

I laughed when Amantha ate the giant burger and then told her mom she had a salad for supper but it was filling because it had cheese on it. Really liked "Donald's" interaction with the red headed woman. I still dislike Teddy and if he honestly wanted a heart to heart talk about Daniel he should have gone to his minister instead of the sheriff, he is trying to get Daniel put back in jail. Don't blame Daniel for blowing off the picture taking guy, but kind of makes me feel a bit for "celebrities" that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I would have freaked out if I came home to that kitchen mess. Are they trying to make us suspicious that Daniel is capable of the crime?

I'm wondering the same thing about the kitchen "tear down."

(edited)

Are they trying to make us suspicious that Daniel is capable of the crime?

I think they have always been doing that. I didn't expect it going into the show, but they have definitely always been playing it like there is a chance Daniel was actually involved in the rape/murder.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

Looks like Amantha has a problem with bulimia, which does seem to be a good fit for the character.

I definitely got the bulimia feeling from Amantha. This was her comfort and her control as a response to having all this craziness for all these years in her family. There was this "checked out look" on her face as she was stuffing her face in the (I'm guessing Sonic) parking lot. That plus the chocolate. That plus the cigarette while eating - I've never smoked but do people actually smoke with such euthusiasm WHILE they are eating? 

Teddy Jr is so jealous of Daniel. It's the typical brother vs brother thing (at least on Teddy's side) And it's pretty hard to believe that Teddy could be jealous of his (step) brother that was in jail all that time and is struggling to make his way in the world after having the crap beat outta him. I'm guessing he feels threatened because he had all the attention and was the "good one" while Daniel was in jail. 

I'm wondering if Daniel has some kind of traumatic brain injury after his beat down and coma - at the very least post-concussion syndrome. This might account for his tearing down the kitchen randomly. 

I definitely got the bulimia feeling from Amantha. This was her comfort and her control as a response to having all this craziness for all these years in her family. There was this "checked out look" on her face as she was stuffing her face in the (I'm guessing Sonic) parking lot. That plus the chocolate. That plus the cigarette while eating - I've never smoked but do people actually smoke with such euthusiasm WHILE they are eating? 

Bulimia is typically characterized by purging.  This was a singular binge eating session without any indication of purging.  I mean, that's if we identify one hamburger as binge eating which obviously in real life we wouldn't.  I'm a smoker and I know  a lot of smokers and it's just a personal preference in whether or not one smokes while eating.  Even then, personal preference isn't set in stone.  I don't normally smoke while eating but there have definitely been times when I was so down that I puffed a cig while enjoying my comfort chocolate.  

• Love 1

Loved this episode. I like Amantha. I've liked her since season 1. I think it's hard for her coming back home and feeling angry and wondering why no one else is as pissed as she is. She's reacting the only way she knows how.

Kerwin's mom and brother seem like really sweet people. The casting directors did a good job with the woman who played Kerwin's mother because I thought her and Kerwin had similar features.

Teddy is still a jerk. He's like a spoiled child who doesn't know how to play well with others. Everything is all about his feelings. Tawny had every right to think about signing that loan document. It's her house too, Teddy!

The scene with Teddy and Sheriff Carl did make me giggle. I also think Teddy had ulterior motives with telling Carl about the incident. Even if he can say "I told you so" to everyone who defends Daniel if Daniel does something to cause suspicion.

Those apple fritters looked good. I'm a sucker for a good apple fritter.

• Love 2

Same here. Hell, I was bawling during those scenes. Nothing has touched me, given me such an emotional punch, like the scenes with Daniel and Kerwin's mother and brother.

That entire scene was beautiful and beautifully played. That was Aldis Hodge from Leverage playing Kerwin's brother—love him.

I think Amantha was just binge eating because she was at a loss for anything else to do—I don't think they were trying to show her as bulimic. Her resumé was so sad—two semesters of college and that's it. She clearly had the brains to complete college, but she turned her entire life over to Daniel's case. 

I got the impression that Teddy went to the sheriff about the coffee grounds from almost a childlike feeling of "Fix this and make it better," and without really thinking through what the legal ramifications could be. As the sheriff said, why would you bring it up to law enforcement days or weeks after the fact if you don't want charges pressed? Just the sleeper hold Daniel put on him would qualify as assault. The sheriff talked him through thinking about it logically. Such a lot of humor in that scene, too. The sheriff's stare when Teddy mentioned "hindsight" would make a good meme. 

As to Daniel razing the kitchen—I think he got out in the bigger world and realized how out of step he was with the rest of the world. Even in the museum, talking to the women about books they'd read, the importance and the experience of those books to him was entirely different from how the women experienced them. He also paid his respects to Kerwin's family and put that behind him. I think demolishing the kitchen represented clearing the decks for him (as did collecting all of his old memorabilia last week), and that he wants to start afresh. He's healed up quite a bit, though—he practically collapsed after trying to drag a branch last week, and only a day or so later he's fine tearing the kitchen apart. 

It was interesting to get Kent's viewpoint that Teddy's rim scheme would go nowhere. I was on the fence about that idea. Given it came from Teddy, my first instinct was that it was a dud, but it was also possible that his dad was just too stuck in the past. Kent's disapproval put that into perspective. 

I realized that I am tense from the moment this show starts to the moment it ends, and yet if I were to outline the events of the episodes, most of them would sound everyday and anything but tense. I was waiting on the edge of my seat for Amantha to blow her interview (and the odds of her not blowing up at someone in the store are slim to none). I was on pins and needles that the women in the museum would mock Daniel to his face. I was nervous that Kerwin's family would reject Daniel's overtures. And Teddy seems like a pot that is ready to boil over. He is so miserable and doesn't have a clue as to why or how he can fix it. 

• Love 1

That was Aldis Hodge from Leverage playing Kerwin's brother—love him.

Thank you! I can't believe I couldn't place him. I watched that entire series. Just didn't connect.

I also think Amantha was just a bit down and overeating. Nothing more.

(edited)

I did like the meeting between Daniel and Kerwin's family, but it seemed by the end of it, that would be the only meeting.  He had to thank them for Kerwin and that was it....."Kerwin was my friend and I miss him every day."    Awwwwww. 

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 2