Type keyword(s) to search

Parks and Recreation in the Media

So it's the same as every year (except 2011 when the series got a nomination too). You'd think a show that gets so much praise from critics and attracts a lot of high-profile guest stars would be getting more than one nomination in a major category after six seasons. And since Brooklyn Nine-Nine didn't fare any better, you have to wonder what Mike Schur is doing wrong.

Retta explains the time jump:

What did you think of the time jump? I was so surprised.
I never knew that was going to happen. Here’s the thing: I don’t ever read the script, so I just never read it. I only read what I get when we have to shoot, and because I wasn’t in those last scenes … But I watched the show. Actually, I saw Amy Poehler at Aziz Ansari’s birthday party and she was like, “I’m not working with babies, so I told them we’re doing a time jump so I don’t have to work with babies.”

Ha, that’s funny!
She was like, “I just had two kids. I’ve had my share of babies for the last three years. I’m not doing another year of babies. Especially triplets.”

Totally understandable.
Yeah, so that’s why they changed it.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/retta-parks-recreations-final-season-chat.html?mid=twitter_vulture

• Love 4

Chris Pratt will officially become a big time movie star with today’s release of Guardians of The Galaxy (my personal pick for best film of the summer). And considering that GOTG is coming on the heels of The Lego Movie and will be followed by next year’s sure-to-be-massive Jurassic World…well, let’s just say Pratt (who stars in all three) has a lot of things to talk about. And we talked about all of those things when he stopped by the Entertainment Weekly Radio (SiriusXM, channel 105) studio this morning. But we also wanted to chat with Pratt (hey, they rhymes!) about the impending ending (again, rhymes!) of NBC’s Parks and Recreation, which will sign off after one final season. So how does Pratt feel about gearing up for the last go round in Pawnee?

“I feel sad,” says Pratt. “It’s my home. I mean, mostly I’m excited because we’re going to start in two weeks and so I’m just thrilled to get back to work and be back home with my friends and my family on that show.”

But while there is a sadness that the wild ride is soon coming to end, Pratt also says that the show is better off exiting now rather than overstaying its welcome. “I think people are ready for it to be done,” says Pratt of the people who put the sitcom together. “The creatives, they have been working very, very hard. They’ve done what 130, or 150 episodes or something like that? And so that’s a lot of work. Day in and day out they’re writing episodes and trying to create stories that can somehow stay fresh with this same core group of characters.”

The way Pratt sees it, there are only so many hijinks his lovable children’s party entertainer Andy Dwyer can take part in before it becomes old hat. “They’ve done a tremendous job, but eventually you just run out of stories to tell about these characters without it becoming hackneyed and becoming sort of jumping the shark and turning into something that wouldn’t honor the characters. So I think everyone just got together and decided, hey, we’re going to give this thing the ending that it deserves and give the fans something that they can really enjoy — complete the stories for these characters.”

And Pratt believes that setting that ending in advance at the conclusion of this upcoming seventh season will alow the writers to work towards a finish everyone can feel happy about. “You know, every season we were on the bubble,” says Pratt. “They never knew if we were coming back so they never knew if they were writing a series finale or a season finale. This year they’re going to know they are writing a series finale so I think they can really look at it as a graceful and appropriate ending to a wonderful show full of characters that we all loved playing.”

But does Pratt know what that ending is? “Dinosaur attack,” he reveals. “Jurassic World crossover. They are killed by dinosaurs — in space, incidentally.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/01/chris-pratt-parks-and-recreation-finale-ending/?hootPostID=57d697a67768ca1a04980ea154a3420c

• Love 1

Mayfair made a real life Cones of Dunshire game!

Mayfair was initially contacted by Parks And Rec producers to come up with the barest outline of a board game around which they could write some jokes; as Mayfair’s Alex Yeager tells the Indianapolis alt-weekly Nuvo, “At the time, I don’t think that there was a plan to produce an actual game, and whatever cohesiveness there was to the content was almost an afterthought.” But being obsessive types, the people at Mayfair developed Cones Of Dunshire into an actual, playable game, one that Yeager says “trie to walk a line between something playable, and something still rooted in the crazed imagination of an unemployed geek.”
  • Love 3

Other than the Paley Center talk, has Philly Justice been fleshed out more? (For the unaware, I'm talking about this.) I just think the whole fake backstory of both the show and the behind-the-scenes is hilarious and I want to know more about the characters they made up. I saw on a very funny Tumblr account that people seem to think Amy Poehler's character was named Holly. Any other interviews or anything that explain Philly Justice?

Amy Poehler's book came out yesterday. I am about halfway through it, and it is so good! Here's a review about the book on AV Club. She has mostly talked about UCB and SNL, but I hoping for a chapter all about Parks and Rec. 

ETA: The review says Michael Schur has written a small part in the book. So, I'm sure that will be amazing.

Edited by BoogieBurns

There has been casting news lately but when are we going to get some plot descriptions? Is the entire final season going to be "Hey, I haven't seen [character] in a while. What have you been up to the past 3 years?"

I don't think these writers have ever lacked for plot ideas!  The Mike Schur interview linked above suggests that the time jump has also jump-started their creativity, so I expect some crazy shenanigans!

Parks and Rec returns on Tuesday, January 13th, and ends on February 24th. Talk about a burn off.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/01/parks-and-recreation-final-season-to-premiere-tuesday-january-13th/334282/

These parts of the last paragraph stuck out:

“Parks” was the #3 most upscale primetime series on the Big 4 in its concentration of adults 18-49 living in homes with $100K+ incomes with a 161 index (100 represents an average concentration of those homes).

Is it just me, or does that sound like something Jack Donaghy might use as a selling point for something on that universe's NBC lineup on "30 Rock"? It sounded unreal, at least to me.

This, however, piqued my interest:

“Parks” was also the youngest show on ABC, CBS or NBC last season, with a median age for its audience of 41.7.

• Love 2

I'd just as soon they speed through the network airing of the episodes. The faster they air 'em on the network, the faster they can put 'em on Netflix, which is where I prefer to watch them anyway. And once they're there, I could watch them over and over and over again...

Not that I do that, or anything. I'm just saying I could.

• Love 1