Type keyword(s) to search

Unsellable Houses - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I too love that it's only 30 minutes and there's no HGTV fake drama like they've run into a snag with electric/plumbing/insects, etc.

The girls' voices are really annoying and geez the way they enunciate words when they talk.  II also agree that their staging is way too much but I like the premise of them putting in their own money although I keep trying to figure out if it's beneficial or not...somewhat like Love it or List it.

All that being said I absolutely loved the file cabinet house!  I'm surprised that they did so much work on it and I can't understand how that house didn't sell as is before the twins arrived.

I'm watching S1E10 and it's the couple with the beautiful backyard and really nice house.  I'm shocked they will only end up $20K over to share.  I'm sure they will sell over asking.  What they did do was list the prices of each renovation such as kitchen $17K, Master $1,500 and they put $3,000 for staging.

Edited by NYGirl

I enjoy this show, not always but usually. I watched two eps tonight and noticed a couple of pertinent comments.

They talked to the homeowner about "perceived value." They know their market (granted, it's a hot market) and they know perceived value beats actual value nearly every time.

They know this because (referring to the competition) "the others sell seven or eight homes a year and we sold 170". I would think that volume is also how they came to know that their demo is first-time buyers.

With that volume I bet they have made enough to purchase a ton of appliances at deep discount that are stored somewhere, waiting to be used. 

Labor is highly variable depending on the region and can be the lion's share of final cost in some parts of the country, in others not so much.

I think they would bug me in an hour show but this format is OK.  

• Love 3

So I just came across this show yesterday and I like it, I love only half hour— no made up budget drama to stretch it out. I like that they don’t go overboard (it’s a rental no new cabinets etc) I don’t agree with all their choices but I like most. 

I do wonder if they get realtor commission non top of half proceeds— the buyers still getting more money but just curious 

• Love 1

I, too, like the half-hour format.  We don't get endless scenes of unexpected horrors and everything involved in jacking up foundations or filling in cisterns or mold.  I don't like a lot of their decor but they obviously know their market.

• Love 2
On 7/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, chezeche said:

I don't understand how they make money. I've watched 4 episodes and on every one they invested more money than they made from the sale.

Huh? Every episode I've watched they not only get their investment back but make more money on top of that.

• Love 3

Just caught a rerun I hadn’t seen. They were fixing up a split level. I never lived in one but I knew several people who did. They did a good job but didn’t put any upper cabinets in the kitchen. It had beautiful tile but seemed a little impractical. I think they put in $35,000. It’s a weird show because they don’t seem to make a huge profit. Maybe, it’s how average flippers do but if they weren’t getting paid extra coin from HGTV I don’t know how they could survive financially. 

They make their usual commissions, and if they represent both sides, they get double commissions.    Then what they put into it for improvements, they get back when it sells, and split the increased profit with the home owners.    So they make a bundle.   Their explanation of this on the show is not understandable, they sound like rabid chipmunks when they tell the home sellers.    I think for the show, the sisters shell out the money for improvements, because they get it back when the house closes.   

I wondered how they made money, and a realtor friend explained it to me.   The way the sisters say it on the show is very confusing, and I didn't have a clue until Nan explained it to me.   They really need to explain it in an easy to understand way, instead of speeding through it the way they do.     Since they sell so many houses, they might be good agents to consult about selling in the area, but the voices of both of them would drive me bonkers.  

The main factor with selling is to de-clutter.   I only use realtors that do great pictures, and post them online on realtor, and the other sites.   Get rid of extra furniture you don't need, store anything you are going to keep, but don't need right now.    Remove all personal items like pictures, anything portable that could leave during an open house (sadly, it happens), closets should be cleared of things you don't really need, and I like the fuzzy triangular hangers (the one with the bottom bar for extra strength), they hold items on the hangar, and are thin, so you get extra room.    Lock up electronics, financial paperwork, vital papers, prescriptions,  etc.  (I used the plastic tool chests, and bought locks for them).    When a showing or open house is happening, open the blinds, turn on all of the lights, all counters in the bath and kitchen should be cleaned off.    Have a picky friend (or even better an acquaintance that won't worry about hurting your feelings) walk through and tell you if there are any funky smells, cluttered areas you need to clean out, and how the place looks.   You can always do an appliance credit, and then the buyers can get what they want, and you won't end up with someone complaining about wanting a different fridge than the one you bought.   Good luck selling!

It's one thing to have the realtors put up the improvement money, but it's different when it's the homeowner's money.   I would definitely ask a realtor what improvements make sense, and which ones will never pay off with a higher sale price.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

So I was wrong. Jeez! No need to get all up in my grill. LOL!!!

That said, I’m guessing with the ratings (good or bad), and/or the pandemic I don’t know if we’ll see these sisters again. I’m planning to sell my house after about 21 years of living here. I’m looking to downsize. I like to get ideas. I think my townhouse is great but it would funny (or not) to actually hear what other people would say. Friends and family say nice things but you never know until you have a realtor and an open house. I know I need new appliances and some painting done to spruce up the place. The old adage is that kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. I don’t really plan on doing anything to major on either because I don’t have an extra $35,000 laying around. I’ll let you next year how I make out. LOL!!!!

• Love 2

It seems like this show is toast.  No new episodes for awhile.  HGTV seems to float a new show with just a few episodes and if it doesn't get the results they want, it's done.  I saw that happened with Roommate Hunters which I enjoyed.  It was different from the constant parade of Brothers shows.

• Love 1

With the market in the Seattle area, I would just get a realtor that sells a lot in my area, and have them do a market analysis, and ask if it makes sense to spend money on updates.   If the buyers in an area prefer to do their own updates, then they're not going to want to pay extra for something they'll change anyway.   

• Love 2

IIRC, the sellers on this show have listed their homes and they are not selling in a hot market. Could be they hired the wrong agent. I think I remember one where they were trying to sell it themselves.  But if, and this is a big if, what these sisters are portraying as doing is real, they've found a formula that works. The sellers aren't putting any of their own money in for the updates being done, so what do the sellers have to lose?

• Love 1

I’ve known lots of people who have sold their homes but only one put some money (the kitchen) in upgrades. Most people seem to just clean up their houses and sell as is. In theory, you could get some of the money back but in general I don’t think it’s a huge windfall. The only think I’m doing is adding a new (which I needed to do anyway) and, paint. Even that isn’t really needed because I painted a few years in the tan/beige phase that everyone was to do by HGTV. LOL!! Now, they (HGTV) says it needs to be near white for the bright and airy look. I have to next spring to get it all done. If I had the money I might install new cabinets in either the kitchen or bathrooms but I don’t. Hopefully, it’s not too much of a dealbreaker. Of course, the twins would make me do it, LOL!!!!!

• Love 1

ByaNose...I am also going to put my house up for sale next summer.  I am going to get new appliances and do some paint touch-ups.  I will hire someone to do a house inspection before I put it up for sale so there are no unpleasant surprises. But hopefully just the appliances and paint will be enough.  And a clean house!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

ByaNose...I am also going to put my house up for sale next summer.  I am going to get new appliances and do some paint touch-ups.  I will hire someone to do a house inspection before I put it up for sale so there are no unpleasant surprises. But hopefully just the appliances and paint will be enough.  And a clean house!

I never thought of the (pre) inspection. That’s a good idea. I know they are usually done anyway but it’s good to just get it done beforehand. Thanks for the tip.

• Love 3

I saw the episode where they fixed up the rental house belonging to their contractor friend. Any one else suspect anything shady from how that went down? I can't believe a tenant did that much damage to a place and we learn at the end of the episode that the contractor has decided not to sell after all and will continue to rent it out. 

I just watched the latest episode (to me) and, they did a pretty good job. The couple were in the real estate business but didn’t seem to know what to do with their own home. They redid the kitchen with upper & lower white shaker cabinets but did the island on an angle which I didn’t like. It offset the kitchen to me. They painted and added a new mantle to the fireplace in the family room. The master room was just cleaned up a bit with a barn door added for the bathroom. The bathroom was redone. They removed the gross carpeting and added new title. They invested $35,000 and listed for $635,000 since they didn’t have any competition. Magically they sold the house after the first open house at over asking for $650,000 and split $40,000 in profits. You gotta love reality tv. Night y’all. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The important factor in a pre-inspection, or a buying inspection, is getting a competent inspector.   Don't ask me how I found out using the realtor's favorite inspector is a huge mistake.   

Absolutely agree. But, we used an inspector our real estate agent recommended because he was so well qualified. We also came to trust our agent - he often pointed out problems with houses. Our agent also said he had lost sales based on this guy's inspections The inspector turned out to be a gem, because we walked away from a house that our offer was accepted on based on his inspection. We used him for our current home. He pulled us aside to talk to us privately after the inspection to tell us he felt much better about the home - it was built so much better than the first house.

• Love 2

Yes, but two houses ago, I was doing one of the quick house hunting trips, and the inspector was awful.   Inspector and mortgage lady were exes, and realtor was their best friend.     The funny thing is the same inspector checked my house out for the buyers when I sold the house, but by then it was almost perfect.     The inspector was lucky to find a state that requires nothing to call yourself a "home inspector".   He actually missed that the roof was destroyed.     

When I was looking for homes here, (it's about 30 miles from the house with the inspector) the realtor showed me the list of inspectors, and she laughed when I told her I was well acquainted with the idiot inspector, and she said she would have found a way to discourage me from using the bad one.    Another one here is wonderful, and very qualified, and has prevented some friends from buying bad houses with severe issues.   I know why the realtor used the bad inspector, I doubt he ever found an issue with a home in his life, so more sales for her.   She was all about sales volume, and I'm sure would say she never heard any complaints about the inspector.      I really lowballed the offer on that house, so that more than paid for the metal roof I put on it, and real gutters (the previous owner put up plastic gutters, and never cleaned them.      There were at least four different shades of brown carpet, and I painted the entire place myself.   They had painted around their huge bed frame in the master bedroom too.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Just watched an episode this morning and they put in a kitchen island that was slanted, not squared with the counter and the facing room and the owners seemed to like it.  I thought it was awful.  And they put in one of those barn doors on the master bath. That feature strikes me as something that very much dates the house. 
I like the girls but the way they talk, is that a local thing?  And the forced cutesy saying things at the same time because they're twins gets a bit much.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, cinsays said:

Just watched an episode this morning and they put in a kitchen island that was slanted, not squared with the counter and the facing room and the owners seemed to like it.  I thought it was awful.  And they put in one of those barn doors on the master bath. That feature strikes me as something that very much dates the house. 
I like the girls but the way they talk, is that a local thing?  And the forced cutesy saying things at the same time because they're twins gets a bit much.

I like them, but don't love most of their choices, especially when they give so many kitchens open shelving instead of cabinets.  

• Love 4
On 9/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, javajeanelaine said:

It seems like this show is toast.  No new episodes for awhile.  HGTV seems to float a new show with just a few episodes and if it doesn't get the results they want, it's done.  I saw that happened with Roommate Hunters which I enjoyed.  It was different from the constant parade of Brothers shows.

It looks like you are wrong, season 2 is tonight

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

It looks like you are wrong, season 2 is tonight

I caught the tail end of the show because I “taped” HH. They were doing a Skype call which made me think it must be new. The sisters get on my nerves but I love a good reveal and flip. I have to put it back on my schedule of shows to watch.

• Love 1

The hour show was the first of season 2.   They sometimes had masks on workers, and others, but stood far apart from the homeowners, and others.      It was also about half an hour about their new shop so you can buy the stuff they use for staging.  

Surprisingly, staging also shows the buyers what the rooms are for.    Watch the house hunting shows, with empty houses, and some buyers can't figure out what all of the rooms are without furniture.    Don't be deceived by the remodeling shows that have junk everywhere, many of them take a lot of the extra stuff out before photos for the sale ads.  

On tonight's new episode, the one sister borrows the other sister's dog for a night, to see if her boys are ready for the responsibility.    The boys prove they aren't so the other sister gets a Boston Terrier for the boys.     There is no logic with this.    

I noticed on the staging for the sale house, the same round frame, with three little shelves for knick knacks was in the living room.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 3/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, sasha206 said:

Maybe they're incredible, but wow, the work they do looks so tacky and shoddy to me.  The staging is always so cluttered and busy too.

Cluttered & busy draws the first-time buyers' eyes away from the tacky & shoddy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/31/2021 at 12:18 PM, deirdra said:

Cluttered & busy draws the first-time buyers' eyes away from the tacky & shoddy.

The old lipstick on a pig theory. I can see where staging could hide major flaws of the house. I never thought about that before. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I wish the girls would shut up about saying "This will be first home buyers" in every episode, that is really annoying and how would they know this? 🙄

Or they will be young buyers blah, blah, blah. They have no idea unless the listing of the house only says first time or young buyers only. They are so annoying. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Or they will be young buyers blah, blah, blah. They have no idea unless the listing of the house only says first time or young buyers only. They are so annoying. 

Retired downsizers would probably look at the photos online and decide not to waste their time looking at another cheaply done cookie-cutter flip.  So they may be right, but still annoying.

• Love 2

Most recent episode I watched was a couple selling their late sister's house. Holy tile mish-mash! What ever made the sisters think those different styles of tile were complimentary?! The contractor actually saved the look of the master bath by not using the penny tile on the shower walls.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Most recent episode I watched was a couple selling their late sister's house. Holy tile mish-mash! What ever made the sisters think those different styles of tile were complimentary?! The contractor actually saved the look of the master bath by not using the penny tile on the shower walls.

That was a horrendous mish-mash and I am so sick of those busy floor tiles that every HGTV show seems to use in kitchens, bathrooms & on fireplaces.  They are already starting to look dated, not timeless, but are too costly to replace when you get sick of them. Jeff must be sick of laying them and has a good eye for "too busy" - the "designers" should listen to him!  Too bad he didn't loose-lay some of the marble hexagons in the shower, snap a pic and send it to the twins to see how hideous it looked next to the "spanish" tile before installing them. The backsplash in the kitchen was more subdued, but didn't go with that shiny black vertically elongated hexagon tile above the stove.  Yes the black tile was cool, but don't put two completely different style focal points side-by-side! That is probably the first thing taught in Design 101.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
(edited)

The one with the dark hair stood on top of the dining room table with her boots on to show how the light fixture would look over the table. I know the furniture is just for staging purposes, but really? You don’t respect the piece enough to try to not scratch it? 

Just have to add—they way over-stage. There’s too much “decor” cluttering up counters, tables, etc.

Have to add again—looked like that kitchen hood sure did hang down low. I FF’d through the show to the reveal. Wonder why Jeff built it to hang that low? 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 4
(edited)

The seller's were friend's and neighbor's of my mother in law.  Cute makeover.  Too bad they didn't show the second bedroom and bathroom at all, could have done with less family dog drama, and have more house.  🙂

Edited by Pine
  • Love 6

I like the makeover on that house.   The wallpaper removal was a great improvement, and a lot of people hate popcorn ceilings, so I think that was a nice touch too.    The wider doorways to make a sight line for the first floor really was nice.   I'm not always happy with open concept, but I liked the kitchen/dining/living after.      I think the improvements really were nice this time.    

I could have done without the dog drama, because the sister with the new dog better like taking care of that dog.   The sons won't even remember the dog exists 99% of the time, and won't be doing any work to help with it either.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I could have done without the dog drama, because the sister with the new dog better like taking care of that dog.   The sons won't even remember the dog exists 99% of the time, and won't be doing any work to help with it either.  

I hated the dog storyline so much, and I blame Chip and Joanna Gaines for it. Yes, I get the folks on the shows are humans with real lives behind their "personalities", but I don't watch HGTV for drama, and that's why I only watch a few of their shows...and nothing of the Gaineses'.

Also, that dog looked to be a purebred (didn't they say it is a French bulldog?) and they could've used the storyline as a teachable moment in adopting from a shelter. Bleh!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the sister said Boston Terrier.   But Frenchies, and Bostons do look rather similar. 

You're right. I forgot there was that whole forced bit about the name.

The kitchen backsplash was mismatched and ugly. The hood didn’t cover the whole wall. It looked too small or something. The back deck was huge & nicely. I could have done without the stupid windows. It looks like an accident waiting to happen. Of course, they won’t way over asking but from what I hear that the way it’s going currently in red market. I’m hoping to sell my house this summer but will more or less be staging it myself. A little paint here and some new appliances there. It can’t be that hard, right? I even have a back deck that I’ll stage with my current grill, chairs and dining table already there. That said, my house isn’t with worth $400,000 +. It’s more in the $250,000 range right outside of Philadelphia area. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

These two are seriously design-challenged.

They sure have a mismatch of design aesthetics. It’s all very different and doesn’t necessarily go together. I’m still confused which one is the designer. Whomever it is maybe the other sister should take over. Also, the dog drama is so unnecessary. Can you imagine the stuff they left on the cutting room floor (you know the actual point of the show!) for that stupid dog bit. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

They sure have a mismatch of design aesthetics. It’s all very different and doesn’t necessarily go together. I’m still confused which one is the designer. Whomever it is maybe the other sister should take over. Also, the dog drama is so unnecessary. Can you imagine the stuff they left on the cutting room floor (you know the actual point of the show!) for that stupid dog bit. 

I really don't care what the HGTV "talent" does with their families and could care less about their "private" lives. It seems to have started with JoJo and Chimp and spread throughout the shows. The kids and their antics aren't "cutes" and I fast forward through their scenes.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 4/8/2021 at 10:36 PM, ByaNose said:

The kitchen backsplash was mismatched and ugly. The hood didn’t cover the whole wall. It looked too small or something. The back deck was huge & nicely. I could have done without the stupid windows. It looks like an accident waiting to happen. Of course, they won’t way over asking but from what I hear that the way it’s going currently in red market. I’m hoping to sell my house this summer but will more or less be staging it myself. A little paint here and some new appliances there. It can’t be that hard, right? I even have a back deck that I’ll stage with my current grill, chairs and dining table already there. That said, my house isn’t with worth $400,000 +. It’s more in the $250,000 range right outside of Philadelphia area. 

Don't underprice your house. Study the comps. It is sellers market. I feel for those first time buyers trying to purchase a home now. I live in North Georgia. Recently a home in the county next to where I live had 60 offers. Homes here are selling in 1 to 2 days usually full price or over. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Don't underprice your house. Study the comps. It is sellers market. I feel for those first time buyers trying to purchase a home now. I live in North Georgia. Recently a home in the county next to where I live had 60 offers. Homes here are selling in 1 to 2 days usually full price or over. 

Same here in Pa. it’s all I hear right now. It’s a sellers market. I was going to downsize anyway but I’m think I’ll get a better return at this current real estate market. Maybe, I should ask the sisters who will buy my house....it will be a young couple.....it will be a single person starting out.....it will be a older couple who want less stairs. Blah! Blah! Blah! They always crack me up on their potential buyer scenario.