Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Dammit Sandra and Viking Ancestors

jewel21

They totally destroyed the therapist  character, didn't they? He was so inappropriate. I once had a therapist who spent most of a session talking about himself. I never went back to him. 

I did like Adam's "that was a derisive snort" comment.

This really is "The Bonnie Show," isn't it?

• Love 8

Was that the first time that Rudy's silent sidekick actually got a line?

I've never heard the time "help rejecting complainer" before, but I love it, and I plan to use it to describe certain people I know.

• Love 8

Margerie's dark thoughts were hilarious XD. I really liked the bit with everyone thinking Christy is in love with Chef Rudy. It was adorable.

3 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Was that the first time that Rudy's silent sidekick actually got a line?

It was indeed. I was genuinely surprised they went there.

• Love 5

I liked the "help rejecting complainer" thing as it's something that definitely rings true.  Also great was Adam openly calling it a derisive snort in the whole table scene.  I've always really enjoyed the easy relationship and sense of comradery he has with Christy in the face of so much of Bonnie's crazy.  Marjorie musing about dying and leaving her cats to eat each other was also darkly funny and a bit of a reminder that there's more going on with Marjorie than just the ever helpful nice old lady.

The Rudy-Tammy thing felt more like something that worked on paper calling back to their shared history on Third Rock From the Sun.  (And Adam is right that it sounds goofy that they always refer to him as Chef Rudy when they don't use anyone else's job descriptor as part of their name.)  It wasn't awful, but a lot of it felt very forced and it was distracting how French Stewart's accent was suddenly all over the place after having been very deliberately consistent all the way along.   Paul suddenly having a line seven seasons in was good only for Christy's shocked reaction to it.  

If Trevor is moving to Portland, is that it for him?  It is disconcerting to realize someone you're paying for help is also a person whose life may be every bit as messy as yours, and yeah, it's kind of unprofessional how openly it was bleeding over into his patient time, but they've been kind of flirting with that line with him and Bonnie for awhile now.  At least Bonnie was able to acknowledge that he had been helping her by the end, even if she really hadn't wanted to give him credit for it.

• Love 3

The moment I heard Paul (Rudy's sidekick) talk, I was like "He can talk?" I even started thinking of the Planet of the Apes musical sequence from The Simpsons.

Also, I had been waiting for a 3rd Rock reunion for quite some time. It finally happened and I was satisfied with that plot.

• Love 2

Oh, I hope they don't go there with a Christie/Chef Rudy pairing! (And was Tammy there when Christie had to take him to AA meetings earlier this season?)

And, obviously, Chef Rudy has a type: really tall women! (One of my favorite scenes in the earlier years is when Bonnie destroyed his house.)

The Adam/Christie relationship has always been one of the long-running background plots that I enjoy. Obviously, they don't have a stepfather/daughter relationship, but they are real friends (and reality checks for Bonnie's craziness.)

And therapists can have life calamities, too. (In a darker vein, a friend of mine wrote a very moving essay about his therapist committing suicide). Bonnie continues her slow, weird progress toward acknowledging other people. The snow globe gift was surprisingly sweet, and her paying attention to the feedback that therapy was helping her (even though SHE didn't see it) was also (gasp) mature. 

And WHY can't they get the TV fixed/get a new TV? They aren't that expensive, and Bonnie has a stash of things people left when they moved out.

• Love 6

Okay, so Tammy & Chef Rudy were the couple I didn't know I needed, but boy, did I.  That was hysterical.

11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

They totally destroyed the therapist  character, didn't they? He was so inappropriate. I once had a therapist who spent most of a session talking about himself. I never went back to him.

They really did.  A therapist is really not supposed to get personal with patients.  I don't expect that much accuracy on a comedy, but still, not my favorite part of the episode.

But yeah, Adam's derisive snort comment was excellent.

2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Marjorie musing about dying and leaving her cats to eat each It other was also darkly funny and a bit of a reminder that there's more going on with Marjorie than just the ever helpful nice old lady.

Well, they would eat her first if she died at home.

(And Adam is right that it sounds goofy that they always refer to him as Chef Rudy when they don't use anyone else's job descriptor as part of their name.) 

Him pointing that out multiple times was definitely a highlight for me.

If Trevor is moving to Portland, is that it for him?

I thought his wife took all his stuff and moved to Portland.

48 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

And therapists can have life calamities, too.

Oh, absolutely, but they're really supposed to keep their personal lives out of sessions with patients.  I did like Bonnie acknowledging that he had helped her, though.  And Adam and Christy panicking at the thought of her quitting therapy.

51 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

And WHY can't they get the TV fixed/get a new TV? They aren't that expensive, and Bonnie has a stash of things people left when they moved out.

They may not be that expensive, but if your budget is tight, they're not a necessity either.  But you're right, there's probably a tv or two in that stash.  A really old one, maybe, but it'd be better than nothing.

• Love 3

This really is "The Bonnie Show," isn't it?

It is. I'm torn because I really enjoyed this episode but the show has gotten so Bonnie-centric, and Christy has not had a major story since the beginning of the season. Meanwhile Bonnie has a new one every damn week. 

If Trevor is moving to Portland, is that it for him?

His ex-wife moved to Portland. I assume he's just selling the house because she took him to the cleaners but he didn't say he was leaving town. He said whatever books she had taken were on their way to Portland.

• Love 6

Tammy was also set to move out on Marjorie earlier this season until she found out that the rent and expenses she's kicking in are keeping her afloat.  

Having a bunch of cats isn't for everyone, and I say that as someone who's had a bunch of cats most of my life.  The novelty may have worn off the first time one threw up in her bed, or her shoes, or wherever or when she pulled a wad of cat hair out of someplace she didn't want cat hair.  There's also a difference between living with someone with cats and being responsible for them yourself.  My husband, for example, likes our cats a lot better than he ever expected to when we met, having always figured himself a dog person.  But the whole litter box thing completely grosses him out and he won't have any part of it.  Luckily my kids are cat people who have always helped take care of them from the time they were small, so if something happens to me hopefully one of them is still here or is able to take the cats, because I know he won't.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

It wasn't awful, but a lot of it felt very forced and it was distracting how French Stewart's accent was suddenly all over the place after having been very deliberately consistent all the way along.  

In the episode when he dated Bonnie, he admitted that the accent was fake and reverted back to his "real" Boston accent. He also admitted learning to cook working at Denny's which he also didn't reveal to Tammy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Even if Tammy didn't want to raise Marjorie's cats herself, I'm sure she'd take it upon herself to make sure that they went to decent homes. They wouldn't be eating each other.

That said, I realize that logical thoughts like that don't always stop your innermost fears from shaking you up.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get the title. Where did Dammit Sandra and Money Bus come into this episode?

I don't remember the Money Bus part, but Dammit Sandra was Trevor referring to his soon-to-be ex-wife.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, eel21788 said:
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get the title. Where did Dammit Sandra and Money Bus come into this episode?

I don't remember the Money Bus part, but Dammit Sandra was Trevor referring to his soon-to-be ex-wife.

Wikipedia cites the references that make up the title of the episode. Oddly enough they list the title of the episode as "Dammit Sandra and Viking Ancestors" (This appears to be correct.) and the Title meaning: Trevor's exclamation upon seeing that his ex-wife took his San Francisco Giants snow globe and Chef Rudy's attempt at guessing Tammy's ancestry.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Wikipedia cites the references that make up the title of the episode. Oddly enough they list the title of the episode as "Dammit Sandra and Viking Ancestors" (This appears to be correct.)

Yes, that's what it's called on the show's page of the CBS website.

There seems to be some discrepancy with the title of the episode. The site we use to get the episode descriptions used the 'money bus' version but clicking on the TVDB site lists the 'viking ancestors' version. TV Guide also uses the second version. As a result, I've changed the episode title. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:50 PM, jewel21 said:

There seems to be some discrepancy with the title of the episode. The site we use to get the episode descriptions used the 'money bus' version but clicking on the TVDB site lists the 'viking ancestors' version. TV Guide also uses the second version. As a result, I've changed the episode title. 

I wonder if Money Bus was the working title for the episode, but the scene that included it ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Useful 1
On ‎01‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 2:29 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Tammy was also set to move out on Marjorie earlier this season until she found out that the rent and expenses she's kicking in are keeping her afloat.  

True, but I didn't think that was because of the cats.  I thought it was because she thought Marjorie was a bit too controlling about household stuff.  It's been awhile, so I could be wrong.  I think Tammy would either take care of the cats or make sure they all had good homes.  She seems like that kind of person.

• Love 2
On 1/31/2020 at 11:46 AM, kwnyc said:

Why are they still so broke? Adam and Bonnie are married now and Adam is living with Bonnie and Christy. I thought his bar was doing really well, he bought Bonnie the new car and filled the refrige with food on an episode so I assumed all was well financially.

Also, I thought Christy was working for that awful attorney's office.What's the deal with her still working at the restaurant? It doesn't seem her career is going anywhere which is disappointing. I thought I was all caught up, apparently I still missed a few episodes.  

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 1

I think Christie is still doing shifts at the restaurant to pay her basic expenses; but yeah, they are in better shape, and for that matter, Adam could buy a "backup" TV for the bar and bring it home.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:46 AM, kwnyc said:

WHY can't they get the TV fixed/get a new TV? They aren't that expensive, and Bonnie has a stash of things people left when they moved out.

I think the TV was getting fixed. They had to watch on the phone while it was in the shop.

Edited by eel21788
20 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Also, I thought Christy was working for that awful attorney's office.What's the deal with her still working at the restaurant? It doesn't seem her career is going anywhere which is disappointing.

Christy is still in law school.  She doesn't have a career yet.  She was interning at the law firm of one of her professors - that's where the awful attorney works - but it was just temporary.

• Love 1

I finally caught this episode on rebroadcast, and I loved it.  The comedic timing of everyone involved is so great. Bonnie announcing at breakfast that she's fired Trevor, and the exchanged looks between Christie and Adam are solid gold, as are the continued references to Adam's bald spot. I'm continuously amazed at the teamwork between all parties.  GREATNESS!!!

Being a help-rejecting complainer (and yes, it's a real thing) seemed to sum up Bonnie perfectly. I loved the turnaround she went through in this episode.  Finally saying "sorry" to Trevor and meaning it.  Well done! Working things out with Jill. 

And I loved the "Chef Rudy" storyline too, especially Adam's confusion at why he was called "Chef" Rudy and not just Rudy.  Glorious!

And Bah humbug to CBSAllAccess that doesn't make these episodes available to subscribers unless you pay more.  I mean, what the heck is a subscription for, if not to get to see your favorite CBS shows?  /rant

• Love 2