Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2020: A Year Without Chopsticks ... Please??

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

Anyone who makes risotto or polenta should be automatically disqualified. Has anyone ever been successful with either of those?

Also: 

“Middle Eastern and African cuisines are the two most undiscovered cuisines on earth.” Says the Chopped contestant from Miss-sippi.

...Except by the 1.6 billion people living in those two regions? That’s not even counting the people who’ve emigrated and their descendants.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

GZ appears on QVC at least once a month, sometimes more, hawking his branded products (cookware, some food, and wine).  From what I've seen no chopsticks anywhere.

Maybe Martha got it in her contract that at least one other judge has to use chopsticks (so she doesn’t look like the only idiot)? I wouldn’t put anything past her or the powers that be to have her on the show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, GaT said:

I keep recording this show & then deleting it without watching. I think I may be done with it.

I'm losing interest myself.  I think it started when they added Martha Stewart.  Also I often have the feeling that the judges are manipulating their comments to create a surprise outcome rather than just being straightforward with their critiques.  Lately, they've had a previous winner named Mars (forgot her first name) judging.  She seems to think she's the ultimate authority and she speaks first and monopolizes the comments.  And she's "nice" but rude.  I find myself half-watching while doing something else.  

2 hours ago, mlp said:

Lately, they've had a previous winner named Mars (forgot her first name) judging.  She seems to think she's the ultimate authority and she speaks first and monopolizes the comments.  And she's "nice" but rude.  I find myself half-watching while doing something else.  

Does she have long dark hair? I watched last night and didn't catch the judges' introductions (I half-watch, too), but when I first aw her, I was glad for some new blood. Then I did not like her judging style at all. 

I had taken a nice long break, and now am enjoying the show again. Weird. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mlp said:

Lately, they've had a previous winner named Mars (forgot her first name) judging.  She seems to think she's the ultimate authority and she speaks first and monopolizes the comments.  And she's "nice" but rude.  I find myself half-watching while doing something else.  

She takes huge open-mouthed bites (probably to avoid messing up her lipstick) and I can’t un-see it. She should probably either try a long-wearing lipstick or just count on the crew to touch her up between tastings.

Last night’s Champions episode featured yet another chef who dips his fingers in the food and then licks them. Have they never heard of spoons? That is another restaurant where I would never eat.

Chris, to the chef who tried and failed to break the super-long pasta by hand so opted for the dumbest cooking method I have ever seen: “You have knives.” Hee! And: that’s what I kept saying, too!

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Darian said:

Does she have long dark hair? I watched last night and didn't catch the judges' introductions (I half-watch, too), but when I first aw her, I was glad for some new blood. Then I did not like her judging style at all. 

It just came to me.  Her first name is Angie.  And yeah, I don't like her style at all.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mlp said:

It just came to me.  Her first name is Angie.  And yeah, I don't like her style at all.  

She was the winner of one of their Chopped Grill competitions, when they used to do them outside.  Considering the level of some of the cuisine we were shown, I'm not sure how much of an expert I'd consider her to be!

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

She was the winner of one of their Chopped Grill competitions, when they used to do them outside.  Considering the level of some of the cuisine we were shown, I'm not sure how much of an expert I'd consider her to be!

that is where she if from! I vaguely remember not liking her much. 

• Love 2

I was just watching the Sweet 'n' Salty ep with La Martha.  She didn't use chopsticks on her dessert, but she did repeat her favorite grudging compliment "tasty" over and over.

I had hopes for her after her sojourn in the slammer, but it seems she's reverted to her old imperious self.  Whatever.  I don't have to watch.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I was just watching the Sweet 'n' Salty ep with La Martha.  She didn't use chopsticks on her dessert, but she did repeat her favorite grudging compliment "tasty" over and over.

I had hopes for her after her sojourn in the slammer*, but it seems she's reverted to her old imperious self.  Whatever.  I don't have to watch.

ETA: *Remember the poncho? I thought it was way cool and signaled Mothra's descent to life among us earthly beings.  Yeah, right.

• LOL 1

I will never give up on Chopped since it''s the show that got me into this nutty food scene.  But I have to say the dessert rounds are totally boring.  For me, dessert is creme brulee, Bahston cream pie, or Haagen Daszs straight up (especially their Trios and Spirits).

Let me amend this a bit   I love  Black Bottom Pie, which is a cousin to Boston Cream Pie.  I rest my case.

Anyway, I always zone out during dessert rounds and love the ""Breakfast Lunch and Dinner" eps.  Show me the cooking and I'll head for the freezer for my own dessert.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:35 PM, sharifa70 said:

Anyone who makes risotto or polenta should be automatically disqualified. Has anyone ever been successful with either of those?

Also: 

“Middle Eastern and African cuisines are the two most undiscovered cuisines on earth.” Says the Chopped contestant from Miss-sippi.

...Except by the 1.6 billion people living in those two regions? That’s not even counting the people who’ve emigrated and their descendants.

And of course, we have undercooked risotto, and seized-up polenta!  Not to mention, mar-scapone!  When will they learn?!  

• Love 3

The clambake episode, while not seasonal, was actually pretty good.  I liked both of the final two.

I also watched the finale of the 50K tournament.  It has seemed to me for some time that the judges favor the young women, especially if Alex is one of the judges, so I was really paying attention to the comments to see if I thought they were manipulating a win for the girl.  In the first round, they chopped a guy because they didn't like his PICKLE even though, from what I could tell, both women had worse dishes over all and I thought, "Here we go."  Happily, the right person (IMO) won so I didn't have to throw anything.

• Love 1

Hoping someone can help me out here, though I know there have been so many episodes that they may all jumble together ... 

Was watching an episode of the $50,000 Chopped Champions series yesterday (Feb. 18) -- I THOUGHT it was the final four but cannot find anything online that indicates any of these four were 50K Chopped Champion winners and the TV cut out on me before it was over ... The four were David Thomas, Eli Dunn (the first one chopped),Fernanda and Kristina ...

This is the link that identifies it on the Chopped page but there is not date ... https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/chopped/photos/meet-the-competitors--chopped-champions-tournament

It can't have been SUPER SUPER long ago because annoying Christian (ugh) was one of the judges. I know there was a challenge with geoduck (and still can't figure out why it's pronounced gooey-duck) and one I think with huckleberries and dessert pizza and hot red peppers. 

If anyone remembers this or what year it was, etc., can you tell me who won the 50K? Thanks!!!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Was watching an episode of the $50,000 Chopped Champions series yesterday (Feb. 18) -- I THOUGHT it was the final four but cannot find anything online that indicates any of these four were 50K Chopped Champion winners and the TV cut out on me before it was over ... The four were David Thomas, Eli Dunn (the first one chopped),Fernanda and Kristina ...

I'm not sure what your question is.  That was the final episode of the current and now concluded tournament.  All four had won their semi-final rounds.  David was the winner of the grand prize.  They tape months in advance so I have no idea when the episodes were filmed.  

One of the reruns that followed was the one where Fernanda first won which must have been a couple years ago.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm not sure what your question is.  That was the final episode of the current and now concluded tournament.  All four had won their semi-final rounds.  David was the winner of the grand prize.  They tape months in advance so I have no idea when the episodes were filmed.  

One of the reruns that followed was the one where Fernanda first won which must have been a couple years ago.

My question was who won and so thank you for the answer (David was definitely my favorite) ... For some reason, my TV cut out before they announced the winner, and since I was only half-paying attention at first, I couldn't figure out if it was a current episode or a rerun (I'd had a long day LOL). There were back-to-back episodes on with the one before this being the one where Eli won, I guess to earn one of the spots in the finals. But I wasn't sure if they were just showing a lot of older reruns or a current season (I don't watch Chopped "religiously" but I always stick around when I hit it while channel-surfing). 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, mlp said:

I also watched the finale of the 50K tournament.  It has seemed to me for some time that the judges favor the young women, especially if Alex is one of the judges, so I was really paying attention to the comments to see if I thought they were manipulating a win for the girl. 

They had a Kids/Teen Tournament (which I refuse to watch) winner competing against "regular" chefs in a championship?  I guess I understand the general idea (like when a Tournament of Champions includes the celebrity winner), but it seems particularly lopsided; do they normally combine such talent in one? 

Edited by Bastet

I was struck by the fact that out of all the participants in this 50K championship, I only recognized a few.  I can't recall missing any episodes, or if so, very few, so either this show is on way too much to single out particular cheftestants, or they're just not doing anything especially memorable.  Personally, I think it might be both!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

I was struck by the fact that out of all the participants in this 50K championship, I only recognized a few.

Same here. But in my case it's because I just don't watch as much.

I was about to get really mad when it looked like a tournament of champions might be decided by the fact that they only have one ice cream machine. Also, what was the deal with including the stage manager's countdowns?

I actually kind of liked some of the backstage stuff, like Fernanda giggling over having to try to stare David down just before the dessert round. 

I agree re the weirdness of a clambake episode in the middle of winter, but I liked the episode overall. I was rooting for both finalists and would have been happy for either winner and sad for either runner-up. I’m also a sucker for displays of good sportsmanship.

Championship episode- Some very weird shots. I think that is the most we have ever seen or heard the stage people. It got me thinking that I would be interested in seeing a "Making of" episode. I know that it takes something like 12+ hours to film a single episode and I have an idea of how that all breaks down, but it might be interesting to see how it actually comes together.

Clambake episode- Re cleaning the ice cream machine and then losing: GZ -"It'd be fine. It's what you do." Alex-"I would not be fine." Pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Alex.  

• Love 2
On 2/19/2020 at 8:28 AM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

It can't have been SUPER SUPER long ago because annoying Christian (ugh) was one of the judges. I know there was a challenge with geoduck (and still can't figure out why it's pronounced gooey-duck) and one I think with huckleberries and dessert pizza and hot red peppers. 

PNW resident here.  Geoduck is pronounced "gooey-duck" because it's from a Native word, "gweduc":  https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/what-is-a-geoduck-clam-seattle-pacific-northwest-how-geoduck-are-farmed.html

Whatever you call it, it's delicious!

I know they're firm on not getting another ice cream machine -- "for the DRAHMA!" -- but when that much money is on the line, I would raise a stink if I lost because of it.  Just sayin'.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

I know they're firm on not getting another ice cream machine -- "for the DRAHMA!"

That has never made sense to me.  In fact, the hope for drama pushes Chopped a step away from serious cooking show toward reality TV show.  Chopped ought to be about which chef can come up with the best dish, not a competition for kitchen equipment.

• Love 3
On 2/24/2020 at 11:56 AM, mlp said:

That has never made sense to me.  In fact, the hope for drama pushes Chopped a step away from serious cooking show toward reality TV show.  Chopped ought to be about which chef can come up with the best dish, not a competition for kitchen equipment.

Totally agree, and in fact, the Canadian iteration of this show had two ice cream machines, as it should be.

• Love 3

But I have to say, I did notice last night that they appear to have cut down on the sob stories.  There are far fewer voice overs of contestants saying anything besides what they're cooking/doing.  The only time we're hearing anything remotely personal is when Ted interviews them while their dish is being critiqued.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wait, what, there is only one grinder in the Chopped Kitchen?? That is just wrong! Bad enough only one ice cream machine. 

There should be at least 3 grinders and 2 ice cream machines!! That is just not fair!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Argh!!  Give them a meat that can only be cooked in the time given by grinding but only providing one grinder. And GZ with the fracking  chopsticks...I swear, if he eats the last course with them, I am done with this show!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 2

It seems to me that they used to have more than one grinder.  I could be remembering that wrong.  I agree that giving them something that needs to be ground and not having enough pieces of equipment makes no sense.  

I feel more and more often lately that the judges manipulate their comments so they can choose the person they want to win.  They used to chop chefs who didn't prepare their protein properly no matter what else they did.  The lamb that young woman served tonight was basically raw and couldn't have been tender.  She should have been chopped after the entree round instead of the fellow who served too little lamb.  At least his was cooked.  When her dessert was presented, I was thinking that it looked like a mess and I'd send it back if it was served to me then Chris and Amanda complimented her on her plating.  I figured then that she was the designated winner.  Obviously, I couldn't taste anything but his "meal" overall looked better to me - comparatively speaking.  Nothing tonight looked very good.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think there’s always been only one grinder. Wasn’t there an episode a few seasons back when one chef went to another chef’s station (without asking) to use the grinder? I only remember it because the offending chef is from Portland and I had actually eaten at her restaurant so I was disappointed when she got booted.

Edited by sharifa70
15 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

Last nights episode was really depressing, one of the worse that I have seen in some time. Of course some of the ingredients were barfing inducing. Really? Vegan Pork?

I agree: that first round seemed particularly awful. There was pretty much nothing in the whole episode that I'd want to eat.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was more a matter of who did least worst.  The entree round was basically a wash, and Christian (?) lost because his zeppoli were greasy and didn't stay together in the fryer, not so much that hers (can't remember her name already -- shows you how memorable this show has become) was so much better.  

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 2
On 3/4/2020 at 5:17 AM, sharifa70 said:

I think there’s always been only one grinder. Wasn’t there an episode a few seasons back when one chef went to another chef’s station (without asking) to use the grinder? I only remember it because the offending chef is from Portland and I had actually eaten at her restaurant so I was disappointed when she got booted.

Maybe, but then, it was an option to use. The meat they were given this time was only going to be cooked properly /throughly if it was ground. IMO not having a grinder for each one was an unfair situation.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Here's an idea, don't give the chefs something that takes 15 minutes to cook in a 20 minute round.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I watch this show because it’s fun to see what the chefs can do (and I’ve learned about a lot of foods I never knew existed). I’m not in it to see them fail because the producers gave them something that literally can’t be done in the allotted time.

• Love 3

I can't find a forum for Chopped Sweets...I just had to say that the two bakers that drank out of the glass of lavender tea grossed me out! Taste with a spoon, I would never eat something you drank out of then used to cook with. Yuk!

I love Alex, but man that round was rough. Her deadpan comments made me laugh, though: "two minutes in and my ice cream is in the machine - I'm behind." This actually made me want to find her Iron Chef episodes, which I've never watched because I couldn't get into the American version of the show.