Type keyword(s) to search

S40: Ben Driebergen

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I disliked Chrissy, so at the time, I was fine with Ben's win, but the more time has passed, the more he's just a shade above Mike Holloway in terms of useless winners for me. You can immunity your way to the end or idol-find your way to the end, but it's such a boring way to win, and proves nothing about your social game or any other skills.

And I'll never get over that he was given credit for being a double agent to spy on Chrissy's alliance (the "super spy Ben" plan), when it was chill surfer Devon's idea. All Ben did was execute it. But it's not like he came up with it.

Anyway, meh. Let's see if he has any semblance of a social game if other people happen to find idols, too.

• Love 3
On 1/16/2020 at 10:54 PM, TVFan1 said:

Ben can't be voted out fast enough. His season was one of the very worst ever to me.

Ben's personal story was so moving that I kinda didn't mind that he won, but....I recall discussions about the show planting idols in his favor and such.  

I would really hope the show is above that kind of thing, but I'm sure it isn't.  Ratings 'n all.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Jextella said:

Ben's personal story was so moving that I kinda didn't mind that he won, but....I recall discussions about the show planting idols in his favor and such.  

I would really hope the show is above that kind of thing, but I'm sure it isn't.  Ratings 'n all.

Pretty sure 90% of that “discussion” was sour grapes.  😆

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Jextella said:

If they're planting idols and gently shoving the intended recipient in the right direction, somehow I don't think it will be Ben this time.

• Love 2

I didn't mind Ben. The Ben and Chrissy rivalry was intense. Chrissy edit showed her in a bad light (I guess) so I was more Team Ben at the time. That said, I think his unusual idol finds were a bit forced.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That said, I think his unusual idol finds were a bit forced.

Yea, let me just wake up on Day 35 and notice an idol under me lol. Or whatever it was, it was similar to that. So ridiculous.

I do think it'll be interesting to see Ben play when he's not the one Production likes the most.

• Love 2

Ben was fine. I thought his story was interesting. I think it was good to see him reacting to PTSD triggers and how his Tribemates helped him through those instances.

My only issue with Ben is that the idols sure seemed to be convenient but I don't buy into Production handing out idols. Ben knew he needed them and was looking. I think once you find one you have a better idea what to look for. But there are times it was eye roll inducing.

I do think the fire making challenge was cheap and drops Ben on my list of winners. Chrissy had played a solid game, whether you like her or not and thought that she just didn't like working with other women, and did what she needed to do to get to the finals and set herself up to win. Her advantage, choosing who to take to the final three but knowing that she could not take out Ben, was bullshit.

Changes like the fire making and the composition of the final tribal are things that should be known in advance. Chrissy had worked to get Ben out for a while. She had her chance after winning a hard immunity challenge and the rug was pulled out from under her.

I have no problem with how Ben played the game or his back story. I was fine with Ben when the show aired. I do think that his win was cheapened by the introduction of the fire making challenge.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Ben was fine. I thought his story was interesting. I think it was good to see him reacting to PTSD triggers and how his Tribemates helped him through those instances.

My only issue with Ben is that the idols sure seemed to be convenient but I don't buy into Production handing out idols. Ben knew he needed them and was looking. I think once you find one you have a better idea what to look for. But there are times it was eye roll inducing.

I do think the fire making challenge was cheap and drops Ben on my list of winners. Chrissy had played a solid game, whether you like her or not and thought that she just didn't like working with other women, and did what she needed to do to get to the finals and set herself up to win. Her advantage, choosing who to take to the final three but knowing that she could not take out Ben, was bullshit.

Changes like the fire making and the composition of the final tribal are things that should be known in advance. Chrissy had worked to get Ben out for a while. She had her chance after winning a hard immunity challenge and the rug was pulled out from under her.

I have no problem with how Ben played the game or his back story. I was fine with Ben when the show aired. I do think that his win was cheapened by the introduction of the fire making challenge.

and, I totally left out (forgot) that his season was the beginning of the fire making challenge. Ugh! Jeff Probst and his stupid ideas. He loves it but most hate it.

1 hour ago, jabRI said:

I didn't watch his season? What's his backstory they hinted at? Saw something about PTSD, ex-soldier?

He's a Marine, he was edited to be Ben the Heroic Marine from the very start.  Then a boat backfired or something and he was shaking like a leaf because of his PTSD from the war.  Then we got a Very Special Moment on the show where he discussed it.  From that point on he transformed from Ben the Heroic Marine into Ben the Heroic Marine Who MUST Win the Game because Thank You For Your Service.  Idols galore!  He was constantly in danger and found like five or six idols in a row. 

Then when he FINALLY was going to go home because the other three in the final four had wisened up and finally decided to get rid of him, Jeffy finally read the memo about how Ben MUST Win the the Game because Thank You For Your Service and introduced this final four fire making challenge because he said something like (I kid you not) "it's not fair to see good players make it so far but then get voted out".  As opposed to seeing good players get voted out at any other time in the game because people don't want them to win.

So yeah..... I'm clearly not a fan of Ben's.  I don't begrudge him his military service and having PTSD must suck, but the editing of that season was abysmal.  It was clearly telegraphed from early on that this heroic marine must win the money because he's a marine.  Above all, he's just not a great player.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Thanks for the info, no, I don't see him as a great player either, surprised he's lasted so long.  But then seeing how they treated Kellee, I guess nothing should surprise me. Did not realize that's when they introduced fire starting, to get someone in who wouldn't have otherwise.

• Love 1

Ben has PTSD from his time serving in a war zone. That is not in question. They did show him once startle at the sounds coming from the fire, exploding bamboo I think it was, and Ben went to the beach shaken. His tribemates commented that Ben was struggling at times out there, so it was not an uncommon for him to walk away and gather himself. We saw a couple go and check on him. His PTSD was real and was something that he, and his tribe, were dealing with during his first season. 

I don't think Ben is a great player. I am not thrilled that he won his season. But I am not going to downplay his service or the PTSD he suffers from. I was impressed that the show only showed it once because that is normally the type of thing they play up.

The other players knew they had to vote out because of his service but they didn't when they had the chance. Then he found hidden idols. Then he won immunity. And then they introduced the twist with fire making. And I don't believe that they made that twist up to help Ben, I think it was planned from day 1 and it simple helped Ben. 

He is still a crap player. I am happy to see that he seems to be in a much better mental place this time around. Hopefully he has been getting treatment and that explains why he is handling something of the same stressors better. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

And I don't believe that they made that twist up to help Ben, I think it was planned from day 1 and it simple helped Ben. 

They may not have enacted it to help Ben but they without a doubt did it to help players like Ben. And since I don't care for that type of player it annoys me. If they enacted a twist to help 'women who play the hand they're dealt well and then never get any credit for it' then maybe I wouldn't hate it lol.

Now, to make this on topic lol, I saw this picture of Ben without a beard and it scarred me for life so now you all have to be scarred for life, too!

s5ul18vs15v41.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

From another thread:

Adam and Ben annoy me as winners because I don't think they played good games but won more because of their back stories then anything. They were not good their first time around and are not proving to be all that good this time around.

I kind of have to dispute this, because I actually think Ben is playing a ... decent game. And in an all-winners season, if you're not going to win, becoming a good goat is kind of an art.

Ben has yet to become so irritating, he's not worth keeping around (see: Adam). He's not seen as a threat, but he's come close to winning a few challenges and managed to make alliances with powerful people or those with perceived power (like Tony). He's found an idol for himself and helped Denise find one. He hasn't received that many (any?) votes. I don't know, Ben has done way more this season than I would've expected, given his first season.

While people liked to lump Adam and Ben together, I think their divergent post-merge paths show how they were able to adapt (or not). If they were both vying for the goat role, Ben snatched it from Adam's grasp, and has yet to let go.

And he's still there, unlike quite a few other, better players. Albeit with probably no shot at winning, but he'll still be taking home more money than those who were "better" than him. He's a goat who will laugh all the way to the bank.

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel that in Survivor, who ever wins their season deserves their win.  However, I think the level of difficulty changes each season.  New players, new challenges, and differing weather conditions impact how difficult each season is.

I wouldn't say that Adam or Ben played horrible games in their original seasons, but I would say their seasons may not have been as challenging as others.  And I'd have to rewatch to be sure...this is just how I remember things. 

Having said all this, I think the "strategies" of ignoring others and dictating orders demonstrate less skill than being able to play the game while getting along with others.  Rob, Adam, and Ben moved a bit to the left on the Survivor skill spectrum for me this season.

Edited by Jextella

I am curious to see when this season is over what Ben's take is on his fighting with Adam & Jeremy. What caused it? I always thought the issue was with Adam and not so much Ben. Now, with Jeremy I think it's all Ben but I'm not sure what caused the riff.

(edited)

The edit was so pro-Jeremy and anti-Ben I was surprised Ben lasted longer.

Jeremy was simply at the bottom, why risk your place in a solid alliance by playing dangerous games with others which might just turn against you anyway.  I think he knew he could easily be the next target if he created distrust among his alliance, Jeremy probably felt that too.

We all seem to remember differently but I thought it was thunder that triggered the PTSD on the previous season.

Edited by amazingracefan
4 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

The edit was so pro-Jeremy and anti-Ben I was surprised Ben lasted longer.

Admittedly I have a tinfoil hat at the ready, but I think CBS has their own internal preferences for winners too. Be it demographics or major media market or family man with a castaway wife or just a preference for Boston people...

Jeremy (or Val, or their oldest kids) could easily play another season in the near future. Ben doesn't have much of a following and the odd combination of having to be viewed as the PTSD Vet even though he seems to always be on the outs with his castmates and that has to be a narrative/editing issue.

It's not about the edit being pro-Jeremy and anti-Ben. It's about reality being pro-Jeremy. Parvati had an interview with ET Canada where she said that he was extemely emotional and egotistical and childlike. Adam said on reddit that the conversation he referred to as "The most annoying in his survivor career" never made air. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Virulent said:

Adam said on reddit that the conversation he referred to as "The most annoying in his survivor career" never made air. 

This is why we need a Director's Cut. We miss all the best stuff.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

This is why we need a Director's Cut. We miss all the best stuff.

I haven't purchased the DVD's since Season 2. I wonder if recent DVD's provide additional behind the scenes edits other than the ones posted on Youtube.

I don't understand Ben asking Sarah to vote him out, but I do understand how it must feel to think you showed your worst side to the world on your first season, learned you were hated by thousands of people, then went home and brooded about it forever. If giving it up for Sarah makes Ben like himself again then it was well worth it. He seems like a good person to me anyway.

• Love 6
On 5/13/2020 at 8:16 AM, skybolt said:

I haven't purchased the DVD's since Season 2. I wonder if recent DVD's provide additional behind the scenes edits other than the ones posted on Youtube.

The made-on-demand DVDs from Amazon do have extra scenes, although they're not always paired with the episode that covers the same timeframe. So you might have an extra scene with, say, episode 10 that includes a person who was voted out in episode 6. Slightly annoying. OTOH, they've included some gems, like one from Tocantins where JT is talking about Coach's many stories and trying to find a polite way to say that Coach is full of shit.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I went into this season hoping Michele was an early vote off, but as the season progressed, I grew to really like her.  Tony was my pick to win, and I think he fully deserved it, but I would have been happy with Michele.  I’m surprised she didn’t get one vote.  It seemed kind of awkward how they announced the vote last night.  Dead silence and the camera panned on all 3. 

That said, I do wonder if Ben has any regrets, though, in not sticking it out.  Michele was going home and he would have stayed.  I also wonder, if somehow Sarah and Tony made it to the final 3, who he would have voted for.   

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

Between his unexplained limp in some scenes and just being around Tony/Sarah so long, I think after Denise left he knew he was going to be third in that alliance at best and probably the sacrifice if Michelle/Natalie won anything more. Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age, but I can justify legit reasons to go get a beer. I don't think it was the wisest choice, but I'll grant it was probably valid in his mind.

I hope he really did get some peace out of this game. He's not my favorite player and in real life I think we'd irritate each other in under a minute, but I try to remind myself these are real people and he seems to have a loving family.

• Love 5

I just didn't like how Ben quit.  And that's what I'm calling it.  He probably did see the writing on the wall, but I really think if he listened to Tony and split the vote things would have worked out in their favor.  I posted this in the episode thread but I feel like he almost hurt Sarah's chances at the final 3 by bowing out of the game at the final 5.  

I want to see people play.  If some people were using this to make themselves feel good, I'm out.  I realize that getting backlash when you win (which should be a happy time) can't be easy, especially when you play with what you are dealt.  Ben didn't seem to do much all season.  Parvati said in an interview I posted that everyone felt like they were walking on egg shells around him.  

I'm sure in real life he's a good guy.  I'm sorry he's had issues since playing.  But I like seeing people actually out there playing the game.  Michele may have been going for a redemption arc, but she was still playing.  Sarah, though not like the player she was in her previous seasons, apparently felt like she had something to prove, but was still playing (listening to Tony too much maybe, but hey, that was her loyalty).  So yeah, I think Ben maybe came back too soon.  I'm sure now he'll want to return and make up for his game playing performance this season.

(edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 6:16 AM, Virulent said:

It's not about the edit being pro-Jeremy and anti-Ben. It's about reality being pro-Jeremy. Parvati had an interview with ET Canada where she said that he was extemely emotional and egotistical and childlike. Adam said on reddit that the conversation he referred to as "The most annoying in his survivor career" never made air. 

Wait ... so Jeremy was annoying or Ben was annoying? 

ETA: i wonder how Mrs. Ben felt about Ben quitting for Sarah.

Edited by Growsonwalls