Type keyword(s) to search

S40: Adam Klein

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

So many things about this bio are ... interesting. Completely concealing that he's involved in this shady poker Twitch channel operating out of the Virgin Islands.

I don't hate him either, but independent of his personal tragedy, I think he was able to give off this "such a nice young man" vibe to the Gen Xers (a direct contrast to many of the more outspoken millennials), which I doubt will work on these fellow winners. If he tries the same thing, I think he may come off as fake.

I do agree about people who take dozens of the same photo, however.

• Love 2

Super unpopular opinion, but I like Adam. (I also think he would have won his season whether he talked about his mom or not.) He isn't my favorite player this season and I don't think he's going to win, but I'm fine with him being in the mix. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, RescueMom said:

Super unpopular opinion, but I like Adam. (I also think he would have won his season whether he talked about his mom or not.) He isn't my favorite player this season and I don't think he's going to win, but I'm fine with him being in the mix. 

It would be boring if we all liked the same players! I figure the second and third of Ranganathan's Five Laws of Libraries apply here if you change the word "book" to "player" and uh, pretend they aren't about libraries:

Second Law: Every person his or her book

The second law of library science "every person his or her book" means that librarians serve a wide collection of patrons, acquire literature to fit a vast collection of needs, and do not judge what specific patrons choose to read. Everyone has different tastes and differences and librarians should respect that.

Third Law: Every book its reader

The third law of library science, "every book its reader", means all libraries' books have a place in the library even if a smaller demographic might choose to read it.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing him play for a second time to see how his game evolves.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

It would be boring if we all liked the same players! I figure the second and third of Ranganathan's Five Laws of Libraries apply here if you change the word "book" to "player" and uh, pretend they aren't about libraries:

You probably didn't intend this, but by quoting library laws at me we may have just become best friends. Sorry, I don't make the rules. 😊 Seriously though, this is so cool - I had never heard oh Ranganathan's laws and am looking them up immediately. I love books and libraries!

• Love 6

I didn't dislike Adam when he played (although I'll always resent that he got ALL the votes when Hannah's game was every bit as good as, if not better than, his), but I've found him annoying since then because he can't seem to say anything -- even congratulating Taylor on his marriage -- without making it about himself winning Survivor.

• Love 5

Bringing this over from Ethan's thread, because I'm not entirely sure we watched the same person:

Yeah, I look at the way Adam played. He played kind of an old school game. He had a loyal relationship. [...]  He lost his mom to cancer, he’s a compassionate guy he plays with his heart. That’s someone I can identify with.

I didn't think Adam played an old school game at all. He may have never turned on his post-merge alliance until the end, but I saw him as constantly playing both sides.

Dippy high school kid Will saved that alliance's back by turning on Zeke, and Adam was the most vocal about getting him out next. He stabbed both Jay and David in the front, both of whom had shown him loyalty. So, I'm baffled where Ethan gets "playing with his heart" from.

But if Adam can make other winners think he's nothing but that compassionate guy with the sad story, and completely ignore his gamebot style of play ... good on him, I guess? That'll be interesting to see.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 4

I could have done without seeing Adam and Nick to maybe being back someone older like Tom Westman. They were so recent that I haven’t missed them enough. Adam wasn’t even my favorite cast member from his season. I guess he could do well but I don’t want him to win again either. 

• Love 3
On 1/18/2020 at 9:48 AM, ByaNose said:

I could have done without seeing Adam and Nick to maybe being back someone older like Tom Westman. They were so recent that I haven’t missed them enough. Adam wasn’t even my favorite cast member from his season. I guess he could do well but I don’t want him to win again either. 

Last I heard, Tom had poor health, so he probably couldn't come back even if they wanted him to.  For as much as Probst harped on not having strong female winners, and that's why he was reluctant to do a winners season, I don't see how he can make the argument that the male winners are any better.  I am disappointed by so many recent winners, but I know some of the older schoolers either weren't asked or couldn't come back.  I don't know that it's terribly surprising who was left out. 

I'm curious about Aras, and whether he declined or just wasn't invited.  

1 minute ago, LadyChatts said:

Last I heard, Tom had poor health, so he probably couldn't come back even if they wanted him to.  For as much as Probst harped on not having strong female winners, and that's why he was reluctant to do a winners season, I don't see how he can make the argument that the male winners are any better.  I am disappointed by so many recent winners, but I know some of the older schoolers either weren't asked or couldn't come back.  I don't know that it's terribly surprising who was left out. 

I'm curious about Aras, and whether he declined or just wasn't invited.  

I totally forgot about Aras and he was one of my favorites. The Aras & Terry rilvary was so much fun. I haven’t hear if he was asked or if he declined. Usually, RHAP would comment on these things but they haven’t talked much about the non returning winners. I think Hatch said he wasn’t asked (due to the Season 39 fiasco) and, I’m not sure about Tina. I don’t think Mike Holloway was asked but I really haven’t heard any real confirmation on any of the winners who aren’t going to be on. 

Oh man, just when I think I've heard and seen enough of Adam, his highlight reel to convert aliens into Survivor fans ends with him and Jay sharing an apartment.

Not sure how effective that would be, but there are worse highlight reels.

• Love 2

Bringing this over from the media thread. What we didn't see at tribal council.

Everyone was pretty much everywhere, except for Adam, who never left his seat. He was pretty much alone for a lot of this, never moving as everyone else went around, but then Ethan and Rob finally went over to him.

Credit where credit is due. The fact that Adam never got up was a pretty effective way of communicating to anyone unsure about voting not-Adam that he trusted them. That he wasn't running around, making his own plans and making people nervous that their name was being thrown out. That maybe the best thing for all of them would be to get rid of the guy who made the rookie mistake of disappearing for hours at a time, making an alliance and then lying badly about it. Even Denise was up and about. For Adam to keep his seat during all that chaos is extremely disciplined and dare I say, impressive.

(He's still no Malcolm, however.)

• Love 3

As I'm sure everyone knows, I hated Adam in his first season and I consider him tied with Bob as the worst winner ever. (Chris isn't simply because he's cute and it's funny to me that he won after only playing for like a week.) Anyway, I actually really liked him in the premiere and I didn't like many of them. I'm intrigued to see where his partnership with Denise goes and I agree with you @Eolivet that him being able to remain seated during all the whispering is quite impressive.

• Love 4

I might be in the minority, but I really liked Adam during his season and I still do this season.

I don't think he'll win, though.  He seems nervous and a bit intimidated by the others.  That will be his downfall, I think.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2020 at 6:24 PM, jsm1125 said:

I wonder if Tina passed medical. I think she has arthritis.

Spoiler

Not sure if I should put this here or not but on RHAP Tina said that - while she had been contacted and put on hold while the powers that be decided on a theme for season 40 - she was not asked to come back and was pretty crushed about it.  But she also said that if perhaps her slot had been given to Ethan as an old-school representative, then she was very happy about that.  She's never been told why she wasn't asked back for this season and harbors some pretty strong bitterness towards Probst & Co. for keeping her on the hook but ultimately never explaining why they decided against her.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:07 PM, Jextella said:

I might be in the minority, but I really liked Adam during his season and I still do this season.

I don't think he'll win, though.  He seems nervous and a bit intimidated by the others.  That will be his downfall, I think.

Adam rubbed me the wrong way in his first season but he's won me over so far.  The way he gazes into people's souls when he talks to them makes me laugh, and I think that he's balancing his super-fandom star-struckness very well with his plotting and scheming.  If he goes far, I'll be glad - he's working it new-school just as much as Boston Rob is working it old-school.

• Love 3

What on earth has gone so wrong with Adam's game? Why has he abandoned the strategy from his pre-season interviews about playing the oldschoolers against each other versus targeting them outright (as he did last night)? My only explanation continues to be he does not trust the newschoolers and is looking for a Plan B.

Ironically, he's now in a position to play the game he knows the best: hiding behind threats. If he decides to take up with Rob and Parvati (and can swing Denise over, as someone in the episode thread said), this is where he's much more comfortable. He'll have threats in front of him and an ally with an idol backing him up, which is where he likes to play.

If he sticks with the newschoolers who don't trust him, his days are numbered. They may be numbered anyway, but the oldschoolers need him more now than the new folks do.

Never thought Adam, he of the "you never want to be in control" mantra, would contract a serious case of "big move-itis."

• Love 3

I feel like Adam is just in over his head.  He’s playing with big names, some of whom played numerous times, he’s at the bottom, he doesn’t have an alliance, and he’s not getting the vote to go the way he wants.  If Rob has gone along with his plan, he probably figured that would give him serious street creds in the tribe.  And, he probably told Rob thinking that Rob would owe him for not being blindsided.  Or respect him.  I think he went in with a plan, that plan didn’t work, he was called out for walking off with Denise and got spooked, and now he doesn’t know what to do.  Now, the only ally he had went against him last night.  I don’t think Adam would have wanted to get rid of Ethan.  So now I’m curious-does he align with Rob/Parvati, and try to bring Denise in?  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

Well, Adam has done the time-honored "after making a bad game move, I will coincidentally use this moment to unplug from social media, I don't need any of you."

So, enjoy this post from his ex-roomie (and still friend, I like to think), Jay from Millennials vs Gen X.

(ironically -- to me -- this is the tribal council where Will went home, the only vote on mvgx Adam did successfully dictate)

• Love 3

I feel like that's one of the looks he had on his face during last night's TC.

I wonder if Adam may be feeling the same way Michele does-that his win was polarizing, and many felt it was because of his story, so he's trying to prove he can be a strategic mastermind and really play without that.  If so, clearly he's failing.  And, if that's not the case, he's still failing.  I hope we get a post-TC shot at camp next week.  I miss having those, but seriously, this was a blindside to a guy that thought he was running the vote.  Forget Rob/Parvati's reactions, I want Adam's.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I feel like that's one of the looks he had on his face during last night's TC.

I wonder if Adam may be feeling the same way Michele does-that his win was polarizing, and many felt it was because of his story, so he's trying to prove he can be a strategic mastermind and really play without that.  If so, clearly he's failing.  And, if that's not the case, he's still failing.  I hope we get a post-TC shot at camp next week.  I miss having those, but seriously, this was a blindside to a guy that thought he was running the vote.  Forget Rob/Parvati's reactions, I want Adam's.

I agree about the Tribal Council night vision discussions are really missed. I want to hear what Adam says to “his” alliance and what Michelle, Denise and Jeremy say to him. I think it would go like, “You f’d everything up and decided to vote Ethan”. That said, I still think it’s dumb they didn’t vote out Rob (or, Pavarotti). I’m guessing they didn’t want to vote out Parvati since it would give Adam a bigger head if they went through with “his” plan. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I agree about the Tribal Council night vision discussions are really missed. I want to hear what Adam says to “his” alliance and what Michelle, Denise and Jeremy say to him. I think it would go like, “You f’d everything up and decided to vote Ethan”. That said, I still think it’s dumb they didn’t vote out Rob (or, Pavarotti). I’m guessing they didn’t want to vote out Parvati since it would give Adam a bigger head if they went through with “his” plan. 

Yeah, I mean we've really only had one true blindside before Ethan, but I do hope we get something from Adam.  And not him just saying he's fine with it.  I want drama!  I'm thinking that they this was some kind of message to Adam, to maybe not be running his mouth.  And I want him to be told it was because Rob told everyone what Adam told him, just to see what Adam will say (hopefully something better than "Rob has to go.")  As I said, I want drama!  Blindsiding Parvati/Rob was fine, but Adam was blindsided by everyone.  Even Rob!

• Love 2

It entertains the hell out of me that Adam did the exact same thing his last season, trying to play this strategical game that makes complete sense in his HEAD while ignoring all social dynamics.

Remember when he immediately tried to start an alliance with Taylor after voting out his girlfriend all, "Nobody would suspect us working together," and Tyler was like, "Yeah, there's a reason, dick. Fuck you," and completely blew up his game at the next TC? Hilarious. 

I cannot think of a messier winner than Adam and for that reason alone, I love the guy. And he might in a position to do the exact same thing again as I can't imagine Rob and Parvati will take being blindsided well. 

• Love 3

Adam isn’t my favorite winner. I think he was smart enough to know to get rid of a David Wright in Millennials vs. Gen X because David would have one. I think Adam has a this idea he’s some huge mastermind which I don’t buy for a second. It was a dumb idea to outsmart Rob. It wasn’t horrible to want to work with him but it soooo dumb when he told Rob he needed to vote out Parvati. Of course, Rob was going to tell everyone. Next week, will be interesting. Will Jeremy & Michelle et all throw Adam to the wolves or will they use him for his vote to possibly vote out Rob or Parvati. That said, they should have voted out Rob or Parvati last week. 

• Love 2
On 2/28/2020 at 2:51 AM, loki567 said:

It entertains the hell out of me that Adam did the exact same thing his last season, trying to play this strategical game that makes complete sense in his HEAD while ignoring all social dynamics.

A player that ignores all social dynamics reminds me of Spencer and Cochran 1.0, and Adam played a much better game than either of them (he won on his first try, unlike either of them). He's a more social gamebot, better at forming those personal connections.

I think Adam has a good grasp on social dynamics until it comes time to make a game move, because I do think in all these cases, Adam was correct in these people liked him personally. Where his thinking fails is not understanding most people are unwilling to set aside personal feelings for game moves.

Everything Adam does makes sense in a vacuum, to someone compartmentalizing game and personal relationships. Adam assumes people will drop personal feelings in favor of the game, because that's what Adam himself does. (look no further than what he did to Jay)

But a player that ignores all social dynamics wouldn't have gotten the majority of votes in his season. Taylor certainly wouldn't have voted for him (and I don't think Taylor was moved by a sob story).

Which is why Adam is much better playing a quiet game hiding behind threats, and working those personal relationships to his advantage. When he's the one who has to pull the trigger on those relationships, he misses -- badly -- and the blowback nearly blows up his game, as we saw here and in mvgx.

• Love 5

I agree with most of your points, Eolivet, particularly the Adam/Spencer comparison. There's an attempt to present them as these two gamebots but strategy isn't the strength of their games. More of a case that they're both well-liked socially by their tribes and people are willing to give them an extra chance that they won't necessarily give to others. Ben already has given that extra chance to Adam. 

I absolutely won't be shocked if Adam is able to recover in roughly the same fashion as he did during MvGX, that with his game blown up again somebody tries to take him under their wing. 

To me, the more interesting part of that discussion from Jeremy, Ben and Rob seemed to imply Adam hadn't been helping around camp until then. Maybe part of a strategy to hang back and not be noticed/work on his social game (or "leave the camp work for the big, strong men").

I don't recall seeing him do a lot in mvgx either, but it was never implied he was lazy, just that others were more capable. He's smaller (around 5'7", I think) compared to the other guys, so maybe it was a case of playing to your strengths.

But this type of overly enthusiastic "I'm everybody's friend" demeanor was sort of what I thought Adam's game would be at the outset, and a tactic I thought would come across as fake. Sure enough, that's what Jeremy and Rob implied in their confessionals.

• Love 5

I just laughed when Adam said that Rob betrayed him-which, what did he expect?  Did he really think Rob-Boston Rob, Godfather Rob-would go along with his plan to oust his ally?  He isn’t too bright or really overestimated his game play.  And clearly, Rob wasn’t the only one who betrayed him.

And then when Rob and Parvati were trying to get info from him on the beach.  I don’t think his edit is all that great so far.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

What was hilarious was him telling Ben, I told Boston Rob everything. And Ben was all "Gad dummit, Adam!" 😂

Funny how just a couple of episodes ago Adam was practically saying the same thing about Ben regarding his loose lips.  

(edited)

With Adam though it was presented as a definite plan to go further with Rob.  The edit didn't present the Ben talk as something as serious.

I didn't really understand why Adam went back to talk with Rob and Parvati either, unless the producers told him he had to for the storyline.  He did seem very attached to Rob, more so than Ben who seemed to realise he was messing up his own game quicker.

Edited by amazingracefan

Adam's dad got remarried! Whatever people think of Adam, I am glad he and his family are picking up the pieces and carrying on with life. I wish them the best of luck.

ETA: Whoops, forgot to include the link:

Okay, never mind, I cannot post to the pic where he talks about the wedding, but it is here: https://www.instagram.com/survivoradam/

Edited by HeShallBMySquishy
Forgot to add something
  • Love 1

I find Adam really entertaining.  He made a blunder or two but heck.  He's still there.  I don't think I care if he keeps making missteps because he is entertaining to my taste 🙂.

And, in Adam's defense, and in my very humble opinion, very few understand how to play the social end of the game at a really sophisticated level.  They all get that it's important, and some do it better than others, but I think only a small number really play the social game in a thoughtful and strategic way. 

Being likeable and building relationships isn't enough.  I think it requires an understanding of psychology.  I feel that the better players are able to assess the state of mind (fearful, angry, confident, etc.) of the other players and respond and play accordingly.

And, today's game moves really fast and so does the social component.  I feel players have to assess and reassess players at this deeper level all the time since things change so quickly.

Despite all the twists and turns now-a-days, Survivor is still a game that requires dealing with people successfully (and not just being "likeable") to advance. 

I don't think Adam has a grasp of this level of sophistication.  Or if he does, he's not doing a good job of reading people. 

Still, he's quite hysterical and his enthusiasm not only in the game but in life is contageous.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4

I wonder if Adam was “goofy” on his first season like he is shown now but it was edited out?! Things like not finding the hole for his torch, having problems putting the lid on the urn & lighting his torch. I guess it could all be an act or it’s a more accurate portrayal on Season 40. The first time it might not have fit his storyline since he was the winner but now it is. Just curious.

Edited by ByaNose
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I wonder if Adam was “goofy” on his first season like he is shown now but it was edited out?! Things like not finding the hole for his torch, having problems putting the lid on the urn & lighting his torch. I guess it could all be an act or it’s a more accurate portrayal on Season 40. The first time it might not have fit his storyline since he was the winner but now it is. Just curious.

My memory stinks compared to many, but Adam's mother had lung cancer while he was playing his original season.  I think she passed two days after the show ended.  Learn more.

Adam was basically a basket case the whole time.  He cried so much that he was sort of ridiculed for it by viewers.  But I recall feeling as if he deserved the win.  He worked really hard, and I don't think he got pity votes.  That is how I remember it anyway.

I think it was hard to pick up on who Adam really was when he first played because of his mother.  We just saw a scared kid playing the game hard to give his family reason to smile.

I think we are seeing Adam more thoroughly this season, and I do think he is naturally a fun goof - but a smart one who seems to have a knack for capitalizing on opportunities.  He and a friend made their own video series about games played on a toin toss. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC209yTKiPZI2Rg7AC2x-oxg

I personally feel Adam is playing things up for the camera every so often.  The torch is a good example.  The other is that when he casts his votes at tribal, he scours the "voting booth" as if he is looking for idols or clues.  But i think its mostly camp for the camera.

Edited by Jextella

I actually think it's the opposite: I think Adam was a lot more grounded in his first appearance, and is a lot more aimless and flighty here. His social game is off, he's unfocused, he's making a lot of unforced errors. Maybe that makes him more entertaining, but his game play is much poorer.

I believe Adam in his natural Survivor habitat is calculating. A social gamebot. His first season he bragged about putting on his buff the wrong way to hide his super fandom, even drinking the water before boiling it to show how naive he was. I see none of that here.

This Adam seems lazy. I thought the conversation last episode when Rob had everyone under quarantine (ha ha) spoke volumes. They're shooting the breeze about fried food: "Do you like the mint Oreos? How about the fried Oreos?" Everyone is seemingly participating ... except Adam, who is silent. Now I'd wager Adam's not a huge fan of fried food, but to be shown as silent spoke volumes to me. Adam of "if you're not here to make friends, you're here to lose" doesn't participate in a group conversation? His game is way off.

I don't recognize Adam the player or the person from mvgx. I feel like Adam, with his coconut soup and his getting lost on the way to the well and his complete botching of the Parvati blindside this season, has been personified by this:

• Love 1