Type keyword(s) to search

1917 (2019)

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Sam Mendes, the Oscar®-winning director of Skyfall, Spectre and American Beauty, brings his singular vision to his World War I epic, 1917. At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (Captain Fantastic’s George MacKay) and Blake (Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them.

Also featuring Andrew Scott, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong, Richard Madden, and Colin Firth.

Trailer:

Release date: 12/25/19

BAFTA nominations:

Best Film
Outstanding British Film
Director - Sam Mendes
Original Score - Thomas Newman
Cinematography - Roger Deakins
Production Design - Dennis Gassner, Lee Sandales
Make Up & Hair - Naomi Donne
Sound - Scott Millan, Oliver Tarney, Rachael Tate, Mark Taylor, Stuart Wilson
Special Visual Effects - Greg Butler, Guillaume Rocheron, Dominic Tuohy

At the beginning of the movie I thought it would be funny, but distracting, if King Tommen’s brother was played by King Joffrey.  And then they went and distracted me anyways.

That said, the movie was disturbing in its intensity and the brief scene in the river, after Will went through the rapids, was just horrifying.  I just cannot even imagine.  Bless all those men who went through that.

• Love 4

Heh, yeah, the Game of Thrones fan/viewer in me was definitely trying to comprehend Tommen Baratheon and Robb Stark as brothers!

I suspect this will be a film that gets some criticism over its simplified story and character development; and I won't really argue against it; but I can't deny that it really was a technical marvel to behold.  I usually don't want to predict award stuff since it can be so unpredictable, but I definitely think Roger Deakins is getting another Cinematography Oscar to go with the one he finally won for Blade Runner 2049.  Sam Mendes might have a solid shot at getting another Director trophy too (I do think it's funny that the previews never mention him being an Oscar-winning director, and focus more on him directing Skyfall.)

Still, I thought George McKay and Dean-Charles Chapman carried the film really well, and made me still care for Blake and Schofield.  Even though I totally know that this wasn't all shot in one take (but still pretty seamless, I thought), it had to have been a grueling shoot, because it sure look like they were doing almost all of their stunts and whatnot.

Loved the parade of famous British actors in minor roles, like Colin Firth, Andrew Scott (bringing in some solid humor for a mainly serious film), Mark Strong, and Richard Madden, who, alongside Pedro Pascal, certainly seems to be making a case that "exiting" early on Game of Thrones might be the best thing to happen to your career.  And as soon as someone mentioned that Colonel MacKenize is known for being arrogant, I was like "Yep, that's going to be who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing!"  He does have that archetype down to a tee!

Was definitely refreshing seeing a World War I film, since that usually tends to get passed over for World War II.  I'm pretty sure the last WWI film I saw was actually Wonder Woman of all things.

My theater was packed, so I'm curious to see the box office returns.  I'm sure getting those Globes helped! 

• Love 6

Yes my theatre was packed too.  I loved this movie.  I don't always like war movies, I often find it hard to tell who is doing what etc.  This was a fairly simple story but the directing totally sucked you in.  I was constantly watching the edge of the screen wondering who was going pop onto the screen.

The scene close to the end with the singing in the woods had me tearing up.  All I could think about was those poor kids.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Andrew Scott (bringing in some solid humor for a mainly serious film)

Apparently, Sam Mendes didn't find him too funny.

Totally engrossing. I suspected one of them would die, but I thought it would be Scofield. I should've known, because the camera left Blake for that critical moment. Deakins is a lock for another Oscar nom (Thank god the pressure's off), and Lee Smith should definitely take home the Oscar for editing. You really think it's a 2 hour one-take. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Totally engrossing. I suspected one of them would die, but I thought it would be Scofield. I should've known, because the camera left Blake for that critical moment. Deakins is a lock for another Oscar nom (Thank god the pressure's off), and Lee Smith should definitely take home the Oscar for editing. You really think it's a 2 hour one-take. 

Well, two take.

What happened to Scofield's bayonet?  It was on his rifle when they went into the farmyard, and then it disappeared.

My favorite scene was with the girl and the baby.  It was such a tender moment.  But George MacKay was excellent throughout.  What a workout!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The way I looked at their odds, one of the guys had a more classically handsome face, but the other one was taller, so I couldn't decide which Hollywood preference would win out. Of course, in looking back, obviously it makes more narrative sense if the sidekick has to become the hero and the guy with the brother doesn't make it. I was just surprised by how early it happened in the story. 

Schofield getting knocked out for hours seems like a bit of a cheat of the one-take conceit, but that wasn't the main draw for me so I didn't feel ripped off or anything.  The movie was just gorgeous to look at, when it wasn't horrifying, with all the corpses casually littered around the landscape. Very worried about the long-term viability of Schofield's hand...

I wonder how long ago that cow had been milked? 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I noted the knife on the German soldier when they pulled him out of the plane and thought to myself that it would definitely come into play someway. 

I thought the "two take" premise was done to perfection without ever really feeling like a gimmick or a crutch.  You're just there with these men and sometime you see things through their eyes and sometimes it catches you off guard off camera.  And I don't know who was actually operating the camera but all I could think of was "this poor dude must have been exhausted."   I don't have much insight about technicals in general but one that thing that truly amazed me (other than the overall look/feel) was how they managed to make the dying Blake so pale in real time without cutting away.  It was as if you could literally see the life draining out of him.  I'll take Mendes for best director as well.  Everything had to be meticulously planned to the moment.  I also really liked that it felt like a human story first and a war story second.  If I had a vote, this would be my best picture.

1 hour ago, Dejana said:

I wonder how long ago that cow had been milked? 

I thought the same thing.  I was actually telling him, out loud in the theater, not to drink it.

5 hours ago, Clare said:

The scene close to the end with the singing in the woods had me tearing up.  All I could think about was those poor kids.

They looked like such babies.  (they were babies)  It was heart breaking.  And for a splint second when Schofield was resting against the tree and didn't move I thought he was dead.  

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What happened to Scofield's bayonet?  It was on his rifle when they went into the farmyard, and then it disappeared.

I'm guessing he took the knife off at some point and just never put it back on.  Maybe before he got onto the truck?  None of the men had them in close quarters (the truck, the trenches).  Makes sense so you don't accidentally stab someone.  I can't say I know much about bayonets.  No idea how the letter he had to deliver wasn't destroyed with all the blood on it and the carriers of it being buried alive and nearly drowning.  That's just where you throw your hands up and say "It's a movie."   

Speaking of Schofield's bayonet, I noticed as the movie progressed he systematically lost his rifle and his helmet and wondered what to make of it. (maybe never seeing the bayonet again was part of that too)  Stripped of what makes him a soldier and again speaking to the fact that this is human story as much as a war story?  The lengths he had to go through, sacrificing the very tools that were there to protect him, in order to complete his job?  It's a sign of a good movie that I saw it this morning and I'm still thinking about it.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 9

I was bawling my eyes at that scene. It reminded me of my Puerto Rican mother's grandfather and what he went through at that time. He was seventeen when he entered WWI. I can't imagine what he did and he was pretty young. Mind you, he lied about his age and the rest is history.

• Love 3

Great film, probably the best of the nominated films I have seen (I've seen 5 out of 9).  An amazing technical achievement and the cinematography was beautiful.  Well done to Sam Mendes and everyone involved.

George Mackay and Dean-Charles Chapman delivered, carrying the film and making you care about them.  The big names absolutely delivered as well, with Andrew Scott bringing some much-needed entertainment and not surprisingly Benedict Cumberbatch bringing everything.

I was really impressed with how they created those trenches.  You just can't beat that kind of stuff.

I also worried about Schofield's hand and what happened to his bayonet.  The tripwire scene made me jump in my seat, something that doesn't happen much when I watch a movie.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

Oscar nominations!

Achievement in cinematography - Roger Deakins

Achievement in directing - Sam Mendes

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling - Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis and Rebecca Cole

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score) - Thomas Newman

Best motion picture of the year - Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren and Callum McDougall, Producers

Achievement in production design - Dennis Gassner and Lee Sandales

Achievement in sound editing - Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate

Achievement in sound mixing - Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects - Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler and Dominic Tuohy

Original screenplay - Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns

• Love 4

that was intense. Finally I got a long awaited good cry that was denied to me by the cinema for some time. The one shot approach and not knowing what's in the shadows or behind the corner... there was a lot of white knuckling in the two hours. The tension made all the emotions come out of my eyes.

Cinematography was beyond beautiful. It was also funny how in some scenes (like when they were going along the edge of water in a hole. we just saw there were no rails there and the camera is seamlessly gliding over water) it was kinda like oh now Deakins is just showing off!

For me now it's a 3 horse race. My heart still belongs to Taika. Then there's Parasite and this. Pulling for those in the Oscars.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:47 PM, mojoween said:

That said, the movie was disturbing in its intensity and the brief scene in the river, after Will went through the rapids, was just horrifying.  I just cannot even imagine.  Bless all those men who went through that.

I was flinching with the rocks and whirlpools on his way. There was a lot of jumping and flinching due to the way this was filmed. Sometimes you don't need 3D to be fully immersed in the movie. I was also seating very close.

when he was getting out of the river after running through the city and then fighting the current the following happened in the theater

man next to me: achooo!

me (jumping): SHIT!

man: sorry

ppl aroud us:😂🤣

Edited by vavera4ka
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I liked this movie a lot but kept thinking that there must have been a  more efficient way to get the message to the front.  I actually thought that the General might have deployed several messengers (by truck, by air and by land) to ensure that at least one of them got there in time.  I expected him to arrive and everyone to just say, oh yeah, we know already 🤣

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:48 PM, Dejana said:

Schofield getting knocked out for hours seems like a bit of a cheat of the one-take conceit, but that wasn't the main draw for me so I didn't feel ripped off or anything.  The movie was just gorgeous to look at, when it wasn't horrifying, with all the corpses casually littered around the landscape. Very worried about the long-term viability of Schofield's hand...

At the end, I was thinking "Get that hand looked at before you develop gangrene!".  And of course, there near the end I wanted to shout "Run, Mel, run!" as did the friend with whom I saw the movie.

I loved this movie, although it was rather difficult to watch.  It was intense, and I felt completely wrung out by the end.

I'd seen stuff on PBS (I think, certainly not on the History Channel) about how the German trenches were much better built and much bigger, so it was fascinating to see the characters' reactions.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 10:30 PM, kiddo82 said:

No idea how the letter he had to deliver wasn't destroyed with all the blood on it and the carriers of it being buried alive and nearly drowning.

I thought he put it in some kind of case (cigarette case, maybe?) which protected it.  I think that's where he had the photo of his family, too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6

Saw it today and was blown away.  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will probably take the Oscar for Best Production Design, but I'm going to root for 1917 anyway just for the sequence that takes place in the ruined town (which was also so, so beautifully photographed, but of course it's Roger Deakins so that goes without saying).

• Love 6

Well, I didn't know I could hold my breath for two hours. That was amazing. So packed with tension and suspense that I genuinely could not relax for a moment. The opening is the opposite of Saving Private Ryan - there is no adrenaline packed, visceral assault on determined defenders, no wondering at the intensity of the action. It's all suspense. From the moment Blake and Schofield enter the trenches on their mission to the moment they emerge into the abandoned German artillery batteries, the screw just tightened more and more. There isn't a sound louder than a man shouting for about thirty minutes, and when that quiet is broken, it's by a rat.

But still, Mendes created the most immersive, complete and unflinching look at the First World War trenches that I've ever seen in a fictional movie. The mud, the craters, the bodies that you just can't avoid, the rats and the alien waste of no man's land. My abiding image of First World War trenches was forged by Joe Colquhoun's artwork on Charley's War, and this movie matched it perfectly.

I knew the conceit of the movie was that it would be a prolonged tracking shot, for the entire run time, albeit with one very obvious and deliberate cut, and a bunch of hidden ones. I didn't know how well that would work, but it was amazing. It helped sustain that tension and sense of dread. The amount of coordination and preparation that must have gone into those long, tracking shots, with hundreds of extras, must have been insane. George MacKay deserves so many plaudits for carrying this movie from the opening shot all the way to its final moments. A brilliant performance, which was resolutely stoic and unshowy, and probably won't get any awards recognition. 

But this movie absolutely does deserve awards. It's the best made film I've seen in a long time - I was wowed both by how technically impressive and precise it was, and also by the visuals and the story being told.

I liked the peppering of known faces, in amongst all the faceless soldiers. Big names who would never normally take a role with just a couple of lines. 

And yes, it's great that we've got a first rate movie about the often neglected First World War, just as it passes out of living memory, based on the stories an actual veteran told his grandson. It was horrific and stupid and it should be remembered as vividly as possible, for the horror and the stupidity, but also for the heroism of ordinary men.

• Love 12

Schofield's sprint across the battlefield was one of the most emotional moments in a movie in years.  Just freaking chills.  Schofield trying to get through the trench to the Colonel, him realizing he won't get there fast enough, and he does the unthinkable and climbs out of the trench to run across the battlefield.  Complete chaos all around him, he's running into soldiers, every soldier that you see is gonna die if Schofield doesn't deliver the message, some are gonna die a few seconds after we see them, and nothing stops Schofield.  And of course, the music.

• Love 12
On 1/18/2020 at 11:32 PM, Silver Raven said:

In any other movie, Cumberbatch's character would have ignored the orders and proceeded with the attack.

At one point, someone tells Schofield to give the message to McKenzie in front of witnesses, clearly to make sure that's not exactly what happened.

And after all that, he actually finds Blake's brother by accident, only to have to tell him he didn't make it. "It was quick. I'm sorry." I thought they'd take the cliche route of the brother punching Will out of grieving rage, so it made me cry when they shook hands once he'd handed off Blake's rings. Because that's why he was doing it, why he kept going once his friend died, for the other brothers and mothers and families who'd feel that same pain if the attack took place.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

At one point, someone tells Schofield to give the message to McKenzie in front of witnesses, clearly to make sure that's not exactly what happened.

And the movie didn't present McKenzie as a villain, even with that warning.  He's somebody that's been in the war for way too long, and just wants it over.  He even mentions to Schofield, that soon he'll get another message telling him to charge.

• Love 3

I just watched it last night, and wow it lived up to the hype. In the beginning I thought the tall one was the main protagonist. Then after ten minutes I thought it was the shorter one with the brother with the regiment they were travelling to, so when he got killed by the German pilot halfway through the movie I was like "WTF?!"

Like everyone else posted I expected the colonel played by Cumberbatch to go through with the attack. I think they were counting on audience associating him with his previous roles of arrogant characters like the cavalry officer in WAR HORSE!

• Love 4

I've been meaning to see it for awhile and finally did, this week. It's a shame I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater because I can only imagine how amazing that would've been. Oh well. This way, I got to immediately return to certain scenes and rewatch them, catching little details I missed the first time around when I was just caught up in the tenseness.

One detail I did pick up (since someone was questioning it above lol). was how Schofield got the letter delivered undamaged...If you watched carefully while he was hitching a ride on the convoy at one point he takes it out of his front pocket and puts it in his little metal carrying case that he kept his family photos in. Also, it not being bloodied...it was in Blake's pocket on the side that the blood hadn't spread to (the other side was where the map was and it was all bloodied so Schofield had to discard it). of course, it should've been slightly smeared with blood from Schofield's hand, but it really was such a tightly done movie with no loose ends, so I can let that go, lol. 

There were so many things I loved about it. Just a fabulous movie all around. I rarely have the patience to sit and watch a movie in 1 sitting but this one I did. 

Edited by Starleigh
  • Love 5