Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Hidden Staircase

• Start Topic

MID-SEASON FINALE!

Nancy and the Drew Crew desperately search for George's missing sister, Ted, whose kidnapping eerily mirrors the investigation that started Nancy's sleuthing career. Meanwhile, while revisiting the trauma of her past, as a means to solving the present-day mystery, Nancy finally reconnects with her father just as an escalation in the Lucy Sable investigation threatens to separate them forever.

Promo:

Original air date: 12/11/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

This is the second episode without Ace and that makes me sad. Thankfully, now that he's woken up from his coma, maybe we can actually see him again. 

The show is starting to lose me a bit with all the ghost stuff, and I normally like supernatural shows so it's weird. 

I'm glad Ted was found and is okay. I liked Ned helping out George. I see a lot of chemistry between them, but I'm not sure if the show is going to go there or if I even want them to.

The ending with Carson being arrested was surprising. I don't understand how the cop chick going through Nancy's private journal, in her room, is legally binding and can be used to arrest someone. The whole thing seems sketchy. 

The Marvin guy (forgot his name) being so easygoing about taking a DNA test for Bess was surprising. I'm not sure I trust him but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that plays out. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure of the legality, but the fact that Nancy left the journal open on her bed and Carson asked the cop to go into her room probably didn't help. It's not like the cop was trespassing or rifling through anyone's things.

Based on what was shown when Nancy talked about "new beginnings" (George turning to look at Nick), I feel like they are going to go there with Nick and George, and I think I like it. They have more chemistry than Nick and Nancy do, anyway.

If Bess turns out to be a Marvin, can she start using her real accent all the time? Because if so, I'm all for it.

So are all of the mysteries going to be tied to ghosts or other "entities," and if so, how long can the show sustain that? Will they bring in other creatures like vampires and werewolves? How will they explain such a high amount of paranormal activity -- is Horseshoe Bay on a Hellmouth? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm seriously surprised they used the name of the villain from the book (Nathan Gomber) as well as the last name Turnbull of the victims and referenced real estate deals.   But instead of trying to buy an old lady's house, he kidnapped a child so he could do a satanic ritual with an evil spirit, but at least all this went down near a hidden staircase.  Best Adapted Screenplay, anyone?

So now, not only are current storylines explained by supernatural reasons, Nancy Drew's psychological issues are explained by supernatural reasons.  In fact, her entire confrontational demeanor and WALLS™ keeping others out is explained by this evil spirit named Simon.  I'll let you decide if it's Simon Hudson, Simon Marvin, Simon Drew or Simon Nickerson.

I think the actress did a great job with the emotional scenes and for the first time, I actually felt something between Nancy and her father, but these supernatural undercurrents of her psychology felt contrived and didn't leave much to explore from here on out.  It seemed like short-sighted character development.

I did have to laugh when Carson stared with disbelief at all the weird stuff happening in the warehouse.

There was more disjointedness in this episode.  Karen noticed that Nathan Gomber was getting visits from a woman named Moira Baker in jail, and then a few scenes later, Nick at the diner (nowhere near the police station) mentioned that the "Chief" had said a woman was visiting the jail and Bess even knew her name.  Did they film a bunch of scenes that got cut or something?

Since when was everyone suddenly so great at codes.  "Substitution cypher!" exclaims Nick.

Nancy insisting on going to the warehouse alone and rejecting Nick felt like such an over-the-top reaction.  I guess now we know the real psychological reason behind it (Simon!).  I think Nick and George have potential but I would hate a storyline where Nancy was jealous or it puts a strain on the group.  I don't feel any chemistry between Nancy and Owen, either.

I don't trust Owen.  Somehow, I think Bess is going to get hurt with the DNA test.  I'm assuming there will be a cover-up.

Karen chose to walk closer to the bed to read Nancy's journal.  And I thought the character couldn't be more unlikeable.  Carson refused to defend himself, so he is still hiding something.  The only person I could see him protecting is Nancy's mother, so maybe she was there at the murder scene.  Maybe we'll get a Very Special Episode where Nancy visits Heaven and uses the map she got from her mother.  The Mystery of the Pearly Gates.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ah, so Ted's disappearance had nothing to do with the current cases, but instead was part of Nancy's first case from way back.  Glad they saved her at least, but yeah, I doubt this is the last we'll see of "Simon."

Got to love how chill Carson is, when he starts out doubting all of this supernatural stuff (despite the events last week), but as soon as evidence shows up, he's just calmly like "Oh.  I guess I was wrong.  Do what you got to do, Nancy!"

George and Nick continue to be a great duo.

I was definitely getting some shady vibes from Owen concerning Bess.  She better watch her back.

Oh, hey!  Karen's still here!  And... she was only here to read Nancy's diary about her suspicions about Carson, and help get him arrested for the murder.  Boo!  I really doubt Carson is the murderer, so I guess the reason he is being cagey is to protect someone close to him: either Nancy or Katherine/Nancy's mom.

Ace is out of the coma!  Hope we see him again soon, but I hope he gets a little bit of a break.  At the very least, maybe McGinnis will quit being a dick and stop forcing him to be his informant.

• Love 2

Really enjoyed this tonight… Good performances all around.. I thought they were about to go there with Nick and George but then they pulled it back and I was relieved.. But then in the final voiceover they hinted at it again so I dunno… Not sure what to make of Carson being arrested.. Its kinda early to be finding the killer no?… The Owen and Bess scene was nice.. Tho his reaction was somewhere between weird and realistic

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Based on what was shown when Nancy talked about "new beginnings" (George turning to look at Nick), I feel like they are going to go there with Nick and George, and I think I like it. They have more chemistry than Nick and Nancy do, anyway.

Same here. I started getting vibes a couple of episodes ago with them and honestly, I feel like Nick and George have more chemistry as well. I haven't been able to get a great feel with Nancy/Nick but with him hanging out with George more, I've really liked Nick. They just work better together. 

That's not saying that I like Nancy/Owen. Nah, Owen's scenes with Bess were better than Owen's scenes with Nancy. But, of course, Owen/Bess are likely cousins so that relationship would be a family one. I haven't gotten a great vibe of Nancy with any of the guys yet (ok, oddly enough, MAYBE Ryan Hudson, but that pairing makes me shudder).

I really found myself digging the father-daughter sleuth mission. They finally used Scott Wolf well in an episode! However, there's still a bit of a disconnect with the Carson/Nancy family relationship. I feel like Kennedy's giving it her all, but Scott isn't giving off a consistent fatherly relationship (such as the scene where Nancy breaks down in the warehouse and Scott's acting choice is to not give her a hug, but just put an arm on her shoulder). I mean, they finally got that hug at the end, but I'm still not getting true father-daughter vibes a lot of the time.

Which is a shame because I found myself loving Nancy teaming up with her father. That dynamic worked out extremely well for me. I also like that Carson is still incredibly cynical.

I'm glad Ted was found safe. I wonder if we'll see Simon again. I assume we will.

• Love 4

No to both both Nick/George and Nancy/Owen. In my opinion they need to work on Nick/Nancy. Nick and George are great as buddies and we barely know Owen at all so he shouldn't be shipped with anybody. But the CW is nothing if it's not consistent because every time the lead white female is paired with a black male they always have a white dude waiting in the wings. Dynasty, Supergirl, 90210, Life Sentence etc.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, mommalib said:

No to both both Nick/George and Nancy/Owen. In my opinion they need to work on Nick/Nancy. Nick and George are great as buddies and we barely know Owen at all so he shouldn't be shipped with anybody. But the CW is nothing if it's not consistent because every time the lead white female is paired with a black male they always have a white dude waiting in the wings. Dynasty, Supergirl, 90210, Life Sentence etc.

I agree on the principal of it... Also ( even tho its a diff network.. AJ on the fosters)  And I do think Ned and Nancy played well when she wasn't all putting up walls... Also I like George as a friend... But those two do also have a spark so the cw won't be able to help themselves... Owen I'd prefer if he was just in the background... 

3 hours ago, mommalib said:

Well, I think Nick/George is vastly more interesting than Nancy/Owen so if they do go there with either couple, I much rather it be Nick/George, since both actors work very well together and have chemistry.

But, to point out, the actor who plays Owen isn't white; his father is Mexican. 

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, I think Nick/George is vastly more interesting than Nancy/Owen so if they do go there with either couple, I much rather it be Nick/George, since both actors work very well together and have chemistry.

But, to point out, the actor who plays Owen isn't white; his father is Mexican. 

When I and anybody looks at that dude they will see a white dude because he's light enough to pass. The point is he's not black.

• Love 1
Just now, mommalib said:

When I and anybody looks at that dude they will see a white dude because he's light enough to pass. The point is he's not black.

There are different races other than white or black. So Miles Gaston Villanueva is of Hispanic/Latino origin. It's just an important distinction to make. 

Which...is interesting because the actress who plays Bess, who is supposedly also a Marvin, is of Iranian descent. 

Either way, Owen is a boring character. I like the actor, I enjoyed him on The Resident, but he hasn't shown much purpose here...until he shared scenes with Bess. I think the Owen/Bess cousin connection would be a very interesting one to explore. Since I'm not a fan of Bess/Lisbeth, I'd rather see Bess interact with Owen more. I'm always game for more family relations. The last scene, where Bess and Owen are planning to run their own DNA tests on each other, Owen definitely seemed a little too game and I immediately got suspicious. He has something up his sleeve with Bess and I haven't figured out what yet. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

There are different races other than white or black. So Miles Gaston Villanueva is of Hispanic/Latino origin. It's just an important distinction to make. 

Which...is interesting because the actress who plays Bess, who is supposedly also a Marvin, is of Iranian descent. 

Either way, Owen is a boring character. I like the actor, I enjoyed him on The Resident, but he hasn't shown much purpose here...until he shared scenes with Bess. I think the Owen/Bess cousin connection would be a very interesting one to explore. Since I'm not a fan of Bess/Lisbeth, I'd rather see Bess interact with Owen more. I'm always game for more family relations. The last scene, where Bess and Owen are planning to run their own DNA tests on each other, Owen definitely seemed a little too game and I immediately got suspicious. He has something up his sleeve with Bess and I haven't figured out what yet. 

I know there are other races but being black is a different kind of experience and it's sad that that still has to be explained. 

But yes Owen seems kinda pointless to me so far but we'll see going forward. Still don't want him with Nancy though.

2 hours ago, mommalib said:

Yeah looks like the Marvins are just a hodge lodge of racial ambiguity.. Because you've got owen who's played by I believe a mixed race actor with European and Mexican heritage... I believe Bess is played by a middle eastern/ white actress and the older Marvin woman was played by a canadianwoman who I think is at least part black... So they are def at least trying to portray Owen as a POC... Can he pass,  I guess.. Its hard for me to say.. Im mixed and its always been my experience that us (POC.. Of all persuasions)  can usually tell.. So I'm generally not the person to be asking... But if the show had made him a Hudson instead of being from the intentionally ethnic Marvin... A good amount of folk wouldn't have batted an eye... 

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The last scene, where Bess and Owen are planning to run their own DNA tests on each other, Owen definitely seemed a little too game and I immediately got suspicious. He has something up his sleeve with Bess and I haven't figured out what yet. 

If Bess does turn out to be an illegitimate child or a shameful generational secret, Owen can probably blackmail his family into giving him more money/power in exchange for shutting down the Bess problem. 

Bess could be in danger, but no problem, Nancy can have a sèance with the whole gang at the Marvin family plot and dig up some dirt.

• LOL 1

Ace is out of the coma! 

Nancy destroyed Simon's shrine and she thinks that she eliminated him for good.  However, the dude in jail for the original kidnapping told Nancy that Simon would be back--he would find another host human.  Then, we learn that Ace popped out of his coma just about the time that Simon needed a new body.  I really expected the final scene to show Ace back to his normal self--except that his eyes are glowing!

• Useful 3

I like seeing Nancy and Carson heal their relationship. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky but it's nice to see her getting past some of her issues with her dad. I can understand why she's upset about Carson keeping his relationship with Karen a secret but she's been blaming him for just about everything in her life since her mom died. Yes, he's being sketchy about some stuff and no, he's not perfect, but he isn't responsible for all of the negative things in Nancy's life.

Like a typical teenager, she's been scapegoating him for anything she perceives as bad and stomping around the house like a petulant brat. I'm not saying he's the world's best dad but she's been over the top with her anger at him since the beginning, which is why I have been glad to see her softening towards him and inching her way towards having a better relationship with him.

But DAMN, KAREN. Reading someone's diary is a serious invasion of privacy, and it's definitely not something you should do to the daughter of your dead best friend. If there was any question that KAREN SUCKS, I think we have a definitive answer.

Owen seemed a little too cooperative about handing over his DNA so if I were Bess, I'd be a bit suspicious.

8 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

Nancy destroyed Simon's shrine and she thinks that she eliminated him for good.  However, the dude in jail for the original kidnapping told Nancy that Simon would be back--he would find another host human.  Then, we learn that Ace popped out of his coma just about the time that Simon needed a new body.  I really expected the final scene to show Ace back to his normal self--except that his eyes are glowing!

Is it wrong that I'm hoping for some Days of Our Lives Marlena type glowing eyes?

• Love 2

Color me shocked, they actually did add some references to the actual Hidden Staircase novel, mostly with the names and the real estate stuff, but, because its this show, its really about kidnapping children to a sacrifice to a demon named Simon. Yeah, no way is Simon the demon really dead, not even we have so many Simon Says jokes to make!

Nice to see Carson and Nancy actually making up and bonding over talking about her mom and fighting demons (because, again, this show) so that means that of course Carson is hauled away for murder! And on Nancy's evidence! I dont think that Carson is actually the killer, but I think he does know more than he is letting on. I suspect that Nancy's mom had something to do with it and he is covering for her. 

Beth you in danger girl! 

Glad that Teddy is safe, I do think that they are heading for a George/Nick hook up, and while I really like their chemistry, I am not counting out a Nancy/Nick reconciliation, and that could really make things awkward, especially as George and Nancy are only now really becoming friends. 

Ace is awake, and desperately in need of a vision board! 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Nice to see Carson and Nancy actually making up and bonding over talking about her mom and fighting demons (because, again, this show) so that means that of course Carson is hauled away for murder! And on Nancy's evidence! I dont think that Carson is actually the killer, but I think he does know more than he is letting on. I suspect that Nancy's mom had something to do with it and he is covering for her. 

Yeah, my guess all along has been that Carson covered for Kate (I think that's Nancy's mom's name), thinking she killed Lucy (probably by mistake, maybe even she believed she killed her by accident somehow). But I still think it will ultimately end up being Karen, who was friends with them, who hid that she was friends with Lucy, and who is basically a superfluous character on this show. 

I'm not really clear on what Simon supposedly did to Nancy as a child? She saw him, and he also made her dreamy and forget it, like he did Rose? But with all the "she came back different and put up walls" talk, I expected her to be possessed by him. 

This show is kinda goofy and I don't know what to think about all the supernatural stuff, but I enjoy it for what it is.

• Love 2

So a child goes missing and the cops don't contact the mother? That's a new one. Given the supernatural has always existed in this town wouldn't the cops be familiar with it? Wouldn't everyone in town know given the supernatural loves this town so much? Also over the years many townies should be dead or missing. 

2 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

So a child goes missing and the cops don't contact the mother? That's a new one.

George said that her mom was away on a weekend booze cruise and that she wouldn't be back until the next day. She didn't say where the boat was but I just assumed it was out of cell phone range and that she was unreachable.

• Love 2

How did Kid Nancy know the kidnapped child was inside a warehouse?  How much "investigation" did she do? 

In the book and previous adaptations, Nancy spent a lot of time searching before she found the hidden staircase.  And it was easy to do because she was staying inside someone's house.  I'm assuming Kid Nancy went into the warehouse once and just stumbled onto the hidden staircase.  

How did the police know to look for her in the warehouse?  Since they showed up soon after she passed out.  

With this episode, hasn't the show expanded from ghosts to demons?  Because "Simon" seemed to have a power to erase memories of children.  They could have explained it as the experience was so traumatizing that Nancy and the kidnapped girl both blocked it out.  

If so, the show has stepped over another supernatural line.  So now, whoever murdered Tiffany or Lucy could have been controlled by a demon, or an actual demon.  Where does it end?  Do werewolves exist?  Could they have killed Tiffany?  What about the Sea Witch?  Maybe Lucy got dragged to the Underwater Kingdom and made a deal with Ursula and could now only communicate really ineffectively.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Basically, Nancy has no "detective" skills. She breaks into places. Her signature solved crime was only solved because she was a kid and therefore drawn to Simon's location. I see why they don't use the "teen detective" moniker.

What kind of girlfriend/dead wife's best friend is Karen that she wouldn't at least ask some questions before turning Carson in???

If Karen really read the journal she'd see Nancy had other suspects and evidence against them as well before she, Nancy, ultimately ruled them out. But Nancy can't be wrong about her dad. Nope. No way.

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 3
On 12/14/2019 at 1:57 AM, Simba122504 said:

So a child goes missing and the cops don't contact the mother? That's a new one. Given the supernatural has always existed in this town wouldn't the cops be familiar with it? Wouldn't everyone in town know given the supernatural loves this town so much? Also over the years many townies should be dead or missing. 

On 12/14/2019 at 4:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

George said that her mom was away on a weekend booze cruise and that she wouldn't be back until the next day. She didn't say where the boat was but I just assumed it was out of cell phone range and that she was unreachable.

George also said she didn't call the police because she didn't want social services involved. 

On 12/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, Camera One said:

How did the police know to look for her in the warehouse?  Since they showed up soon after she passed out.  

I think Nancy said she pulled the fire alarm?

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

I think Nancy said she pulled the fire alarm?

You're right.  I forgot about that.

19 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

What kind of girlfriend/dead wife's best friend is Karen that she wouldn't at least ask some questions before turning Carson in???

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.  

On 12/14/2019 at 3:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The parents of a missing child will be contacted. That’s police work 101. I know it’s a television show, but if a minor child goes missing. The cops will try to track down the parents. You will have to cut your vacation short. They will have a million questions for you. 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:33 AM, Cranberry said:

I'm not sure of the legality, but the fact that Nancy left the journal open on her bed and Carson asked the cop to go into her room probably didn't help. It's not like the cop was trespassing or rifling through anyone's things.

The fact that it was in "plain sight" may make it technically legal, but it is pretty damn shady of Karen. Did she really read Nancy's journal because she saw it and thought the thing in plain sight may have evidence of a crime? I know Nancy is technically a suspect in a murder, but does Karen really believe she's guilty? If so, she kind of threw her relationship with Carson under the bus for her job. Not to mention honoring her dead best friend (although, sleeping with the dead best friend already did that......)

Or maybe she just wanted an excuse to snoop, which also sucks. Karen just sucks all around.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, Simba122504 said:

The parents of a missing child will be contacted. That’s police work 101. I know it’s a television show, but if a minor child goes missing. The cops will try to track down the parents. You will have to cut your vacation short. They will have a million questions for you. 

I think they had contacted the mother, but she was out on a boat/ship. George said the cruise was on it's return trip, but if it was out at sea it can only get back so fast. 

5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The fact that it was in "plain sight" may make it technically legal, but it is pretty damn shady of Karen. Did she really read Nancy's journal because she saw it and thought the thing in plain sight may have evidence of a crime? I know Nancy is technically a suspect in a murder, but does Karen really believe she's guilty? If so, she kind of threw her relationship with Carson under the bus for her job. Not to mention honoring her dead best friend (although, sleeping with the dead best friend already did that......)

Or maybe she just wanted an excuse to snoop, which also sucks. Karen just sucks all around.

Yeah they haven't really done her character any favors... That said as a cop and someone close to the drew family she knows that Nancy is investigating Tiffany Hudson and keeping things to herself... Plus as a kind of "stepmom" she was probably curious to see how Nancy really felt about her dating her dad... Once she started reading about all the connections Carson had to the Lucy sable murder I guess she couldn't ignore it... Do I think Carson killed her.. No.. But he prob knows more and as an officer she'll try to leverage that to find out what happened to her friend... In a vacuum most of us would love for someone selfless enough to endanger their personal relationships if it meant bringing someone to justice... But it always looks like betrayal on tv shows... Hell in that way Karen and Nancy are mirror images of each other

Karen, breaking Nancy and Carson's trust, has essentially written herself off of the TV show. The Sheriff seems to be down with, and a great source for, all things supernatural. Karen's character has no place on the show. They might as well pen the murder on her.

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Karen, breaking Nancy and Carson's trust, has essentially written herself off of the TV show. The Sheriff seems to be down with, and a great source for, all things supernatural. Karen's character has no place on the show. They might as well pen the murder on her.

Sad but probably true.. If the show cares for the character at all.. They'll at least let her explain her reasoning.. Which I posted about earlier.. And get on most levels.. But I'm not sure they'll frame it as righteous as I put it... 

3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Sad but probably true.. If the show cares for the character at all.. They'll at least let her explain her reasoning.. Which I posted about earlier.. And get on most levels.. But I'm not sure they'll frame it as righteous as I put it... 

Plus, Carson could argue that Karen was on a vendetta because she had a romantic squabble with him. It's pretty hard to legally justify a detective investigating someone they're dating, usually for the opposite reason.

46 minutes ago, ketose said:

Plus, Carson could argue that Karen was on a vendetta because she had a romantic squabble with him. It's pretty hard to legally justify a detective investigating someone they're dating, usually for the opposite reason.

Did they have a squabble or just as a defense for him... Oh I can see the show having Nancy full of self-righteous anger and snark... I hope they don't have Karen apologizing too much.. Sure its a breach of trust... But the same could be said for withholding the info in the first place.. As long as she doesn't cave I think I'm good with Karen.. As it may be the end for her anyway.. But if she's all sniveling and mean culpa Nancy ima be mad... 

18 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Yeah they haven't really done her character any favors... That said as a cop and someone close to the drew family she knows that Nancy is investigating Tiffany Hudson and keeping things to herself... Plus as a kind of "stepmom" she was probably curious to see how Nancy really felt about her dating her dad... Once she started reading about all the connections Carson had to the Lucy sable murder I guess she couldn't ignore it... Do I think Carson killed her.. No.. But he prob knows more and as an officer she'll try to leverage that to find out what happened to her friend... In a vacuum most of us would love for someone selfless enough to endanger their personal relationships if it meant bringing someone to justice... But it always looks like betrayal on tv shows... Hell in that way Karen and Nancy are mirror images of each other

Yeah, once she started reading about it she didn't have much of a choice. She would have been risking her job to just ignore evidence like that, and possibly make herself part of a coverup.

But that is why you don't read people's journals, because then she wouldn't be in that position.

And while I'm being judgmental, it is also why you don't write in your journal about all the evidence against your family/friends and leave it out in the open. If you have to write it down use code or at least lock it up. Some master detective.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

And while I'm being judgmental, it is also why you don't write in your journal about all the evidence against your family/friends and leave it out in the open. If you have to write it down use code or at least lock it up. Some master detective.

I don't buy Nancy would be that careless, considering she didn't trust her father yesterday and had Walls™ since 1982.

17 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, once she started reading about it she didn't have much of a choice. She would have been risking her job to just ignore evidence like that, and possibly make herself part of a coverup.

But that is why you don't read people's journals, because then she wouldn't be in that position.

Or write fake evidence about people you don't like in your journal, because a teenage girl's musings are "evidence" now.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, Jenniferbug said:

This show is kinda goofy and I don't know what to think about all the supernatural stuff, but I enjoy it for what it is.

This. I mean this show is completely ridiculous but I enjoy the hell outta it.

I am so down for Nick/George. They just work so much better together than Nick/Nancy do. I have to say though I do really like Nick/George as friends so I hope they do a slow burn with them. Friends to lovers would be great. But I'm pretty sure they're gonna go too fast lol.

I actually kinda liked Owen/Nancy in this ep and just Owen in general more than I have before. I liked the vibe between Owen and Bess as well. I still don't fully trust Owen though but it's almost too obvious for him to be shady so I don't know.

• Love 1

Things I really liked about this episode:

1. Nancy's black eye from last week was still there throughout this episode and someone even asked about it. This never happens on CW shows
  2. Tiny flashback Nancy is wearing her black knitted hat (which I've decided her mom knitted for her)
  3. They took the time to show that Nancy had talked to Rose's mom (and gotten her number from her social media) and that Rose's mom had talked to her daughter before Nancy called Rose
  4. That the show comes back to this night in season 2. Continuity is a good thing

Things I didn't like:

1. Karen

• Love 1