Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Panty Pose

• Start Topic

Why did Abe quit his job?? Isn’t he over the via la revelation crap now? And Rose gave up every penny of her trust??? Why?? Just so they can be forced to live with Joel’s parents?

The Las Vegas stuff is fun.... 

not sure why, but something seems off.. maybe it’s because she is actually making it happen as a comic,  the last 2 seasons were her trying, I was cheering her on... 

Hopefully it will pick up soon.

• Love 7

I'm enjoying it, just finishing up 3 but don't see Abe and his wife really doing what they did, him quitting, yes, the trust fund, no. She's too used to the money. Why would they care if she left it or not, she only hurt herself. I realize it's the story, but if she lost it in a bad investment or something, this seemed "off". I find the comedy off too a bit, but I think as stated above, it's because she is on a different playing field now and you need to readjust. I have this feeling of wanting the episodes to FF it a bit but trying to enjoy the pace as it is. I know fun things will be happening on different coasts.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, debraran said:

but don't see Abe and his wife really doing what they did, him quitting, yes, the trust fund, no. She's too used to the money. Why would they care if she left it or not, she only hurt herself. I realize it's the story, but if she lost it in a bad investment or something, this seemed "off

Now that you mention it, I wonder if they will at least have Rose walk back her choice. We didn’t see any legal severance between her and her fortune/family. And Abe might be able to get a part time adjunct teaching position filling in for former colleagues on sabbatical. If they had lost their savings in a Ponzi Scheme or other snake oil scam, there options would be more limited. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

After this episode, I'm still waiting to be wowed by the show as I was the first two seasons. Las Vegas and gangster lore never interested me, so I'll be happy when they get to other cities on the tour. Rose and Abe moving in with the ex-in-laws could be amusing, or not. Maybe I got used to the New York setting and just have to adjust to the moving around. Susie continues to have funny lines, but not as much as previously or else I'm getting over her.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

Now that you mention it, I wonder if they will at least have Rose walk back her choice. We didn’t see any legal severance between her and her fortune/family. And Abe might be able to get a part time adjunct teaching position filling in for former colleagues on sabbatical. If they had lost their savings in a Ponzi Scheme or other snake oil scam, there options would be more limited. 

Rose is probably still entitled to some share of the trust, that wouldn't just evaporate, but the board could decide not to increase her payouts based on her behavior. I don't know what the terms are, etc. but she's probably not cut off entirely.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I am enjoying the tour through late 50s Vegas, as well as Shy, Reggie, and their band. It also turns out that Reggie can sing, go figure! Its also a new challenge for Midge. The gangster actually gave her pretty good advice, this isnt a New York crowd, its people from everywhere, so they probably wont get her NYC specific jokes, so she needs to change it up. 

Its Liza Weil, back with Amy SP again! She looks great in her 1950s style, I didnt even recognize her until she spoke in the kitchen! 

I feel like Rose will end up getting her trust back, or at least trying to. I mean, she still legally has a claim, and we never saw any paper getting filed or anything, Rose just ran off angrily.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

feel like Rose will end up getting her trust back, or at least trying to. I mean, she still legally has a claim, and we never saw any paper getting filed or anything, Rose just ran off angrily

Yes. I think in part Rose wanted to punish Abe in the same way his actions destroyed their home life. Of course, she’s punishing herself too in the process. But, yes, her action is more easily undone. 

And both Abe and Rose have now demonstrated a reckless impulsivity that rivals Midges’s stage act. 

• Love 4

Wallace Shawn - inconceivable!

Like Susie, I was marveling at Sophie's book-free library.

Man, if I were Abe, I would have sucked it up and stayed at that university job FOREVER so I could keep that gorgeous apartment! Does that mean I have no principles?

Abe and Rose can't afford a place to live but they can afford to keep paying Zelda's salary?

Ha, I loved the way Mei handled Joel's stupid and nosy "were you born here?" That is one of the most annoying things to ask a stranger.

They're only on the first stop of the tour and Midge is already homesick enough to make brisket for everyone. I hope she makes it through the whole tour. I'm glad Susie was with her too. Seeing her name on the marquis was a moment she needed to share with someone. And I love that Susie's said that Midge's weird request was that her hotel rooms had to be filled with yellow teddy bears.

I like that the show has managed to capture the weird family vibe that being on tour creates.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 10

"Welcome to the library. Books feed me." "Well, it looks like you ate all of 'em." 😂

It's understandable that Sophie feels like Susie's ticket to the big leagues, but this is such a bad idea. Sophie is going to be a nightmare client. And promising Sophie she's her #1 priority? Oof. So glad that Imogene checked Midge (even if unintentionally). Really important for Midge to see that Susie is broke and can't make a living off of Midge alone.

I'm not looking forward to the parents living together. IMO they've already overplayed the clashing in-law bit. This feels like a bad sitcom setup.

The writers have totally rewritten Joel, to the point I'm with the judge. Should they have tried again? (Don't know if I could ever take someone back who cheated on me, but this is a work of fiction.) I wonder if they're being set up as end game. Very much in the ASP forgive-the-jerk playbook.

• Love 4
On 12/11/2019 at 8:58 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And I love that Susie's said that Midge's weird request was that her hotel rooms had to be filled with yellow teddy bears.

I like that the show has managed to capture the weird family vibe that being on tour creates.

Those teddy bears were hilarious and I loved Susie cuddling a couple while she slept.

• Love 7

I'm a historian and every year I do a little family research as a Christmas present for one half of my family.  A profile of one person and a bit about the times they lived in.  This year...  Well...  If you ever want a surprise with really, really good timing, try hitting your Irish-Cathoic-ish-but-really-pretty-athesitic family with the line "Merry Christmas, we're Jewish!"*  (Direct maternal line - Reform Jews from Germany, so pretty much the Weissmans a century earlier.)

Anyway, I'm fascinated by this new rabbit hole, and while I've been digging, this book - Jews on the Frontier, by Shari Rabin - has hit my to-read pile.  So for anyone looking for if and how and why etc Jews in Oklahoma, well, I'm pretty sure she's a good start!  And for anyone who might dig an interview instead of a whole book - got all y'all covered, too!

* Yes, it's more complicated than that, but I'm not the ingrate who would leave a line like that on the table when circumstances served it up on a silver platter!  I feel pretty strongly that Midge would approve.

Edited by ombre
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Was the joke about Lincoln Center that they actually should have moved there because construction would be over soon? I have no idea what year it is.

Suddenly Midge knows how to cook brisket? I thought her only domestic skills were looking pretty. 

I'm glad her brother and sister-in-law are still on the show. And Astrid is finally pregnant! That's great. It's weird that I care more about the secondary characters (who are not Joel) and what they want than anything to do with Miriam so far this season. Also, I wonder if Will Brill's beard was related to Oklahoma or another role.

Suzy's quips were pretty good this episode. I didn't laugh but they were amusing.

"I was wondering why we got multiple weiners." did make me laugh. Great delivery from those two actors.

I find the perfect tailoring of the clothes so captivating. Partially with Miriam's costumes but there are other ones that also look fantastic.

I wonder if this move was dictated by the story (Abe quitting his job, Abe feeling like they were too materialistic, etc.) or if they somehow lost their shooting location. It feels weird to give up such a pretty set unless amazon told them they were spending too much money.

When Midge said "I'm really nervous" it brought home the lack of vulnerability she's been showing lately. Insecurity making her bicker with Suzy doesn't count. Her acting has been shallow lately because the writers aren't letting her be vulnerable.

That powder blue pillbox hat was adorable.

I like Reggie. They needed a character who wouldn't be pushed around. Not to mention a black character with more lines.

Was this actually filmed in Vegas? Are they giving productions tax breaks? First Glow, now Maisel.

I'm curious if Daniel J. Watts will be a big character. 

The yellow teddy bears were a cute visual gag.

• Love 2

Well they certainly hired a lot of extras for this episode. It struck me as I started noticing the clothes of women who weren't Midge.

Paris! That was a cute cameo.

Shy is a charmer. I don't know that he'll get any character development unless the show gives him a substance abuse problem or something ridiculous like that but it'd be nice to see more of him while they're on tour. 

Stephanie (Mei) speaks Mandarin that's Americanized enough that I can understand it. I appreciate that they don't have the character speak in English for the sake of the audience. I'm happy she's sticking around but I hate that she's apparently Joel's love interest. She's too good for him.

It was nice seeing Midge have to think on her feet and deal with a crowd again. She had to deal with a room where people were there to see a show but also have a meal. She had to work to win them over. Hopefully this means she'll have something to work towards again.

Cece's outfit was fantastic. It's nice to see someone other than Midge wearing a fabulous outfit.

Angie actually gave her some good advice. And it was nice to see Suzy push her to get back on the horse.

I had no idea they were bringing Sterling on the show to sing. That was a fun surprise.

Am I insane or was it mentioned early in season 1 that Midge can't cook?

I know everyone in this cast is winning awards for acting but Sterling is on another level and its noticeable. The other characters are getting a little sitcom-y and losing that humanity.

• Love 1

the trust fund, no. She's too used to the money. Why would they care if she left it or not, she only hurt herself.

Yup. I hope they'll go back to that. Even if she and Abe wanted to live a simpler life, she took an L for no reason. If she really wanted to take a stand, she would fight for her place in the family. I don't know. Take the money and invest it in a scholarship for female artists or some other charitable cause but don't let your jerk male relatives belittle you and cheat you out of what you have an equal right to.

Am amazed (pun kind of intended) as the budget Amazon allocates to this show. Full-on USO show and now complete sets of 1960s Las Vegas.

I'm amazed because it doesn't seem worth it (like they're throwing away money on extras and big sets when they could get by with tight shots and creative filmmaking) but it's one of their buzziest original series if not the most awarded. Transparent probably comes next with Mozart in the Jungle a distant third. I don't know how much Fleabag counts and anyway, it has concluded its run.

Man, if I were Abe, I would have sucked it up and stayed at that university job FOREVER so I could keep that gorgeous apartment! Does that mean I have no principles?

Nah. They had views of the water! I have no idea where that apartment was supposed to be. I thought they lived uptown but that looked like the Palisades or something.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2020 at 9:11 PM, aradia22 said:

They had views of the water! I have no idea where that apartment was supposed to be. I thought they lived uptown but that looked like the Palisades or something.

My first thought is that they were overlooking the Hudson River.  Spectacular apartment.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2020 at 9:29 PM, chessiegal said:

She was cooking brisket in Season 1 to get Joel gigs at the Gaslight.

Yes, I don't know how anyone would get the idea that she couldn't cook.  Her whole focus in the pilot episode was that she was the perfect wife and mother, that's where all her energies went.  In the very first scene of the pilot she's in the butcher's ordering lamb for Yom Kippur and later she makes the above-mentioned brisket so Joel could get a better timeslot at the Gaslight.  Midge can cook.  However, once she and Joel split and she moves in with her parents, they have Zelda, so she no longer needs to cook. 

• Love 3

Her whole focus in the pilot episode was that she was the perfect wife and mother, that's where all her energies went.  

I feel like that gets quickly undercut when she starts to become a neglectful mother. And throughout the series I never got the sense that she would know how to interact with the kids even if she wasn't trying to build a career as a successful comedienne. We don't see her talking with them, playing with them, teaching them, etc. And I know they're jokes but in her act she expresses that same lack of aptitude. So I think I started to conflate that with her cooking since after the mentions of brisket, we rarely saw her cook until being in the hotel when she was a domestic goddess. On the other hand, in the Catskills resort and elsewhere we've gotten frequent reminders that Midge is obsessed with her appearance and shopping. So it was easier to start to see her as a lady who lunches. 

On 12/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, lh25 said:

I'm still stuck on the scene where Mrs. Maisel Sr pulled the covers off of Abe, then said something like "Don't you sleep in the buff?".  

I don't remember this at all. When did it happen? And why would Joel's mother be pulling covers off of Abe?

8 hours ago, J-Man said:

I don't remember this at all. When did it happen? And why would Joel's mother be pulling covers off of Abe?

It was when they were staying with Joel's parents, after moving out of the apartment.  I don't remember the details now and can't find them.

14 hours ago, lh25 said:

It was when they were staying with Joel's parents, after moving out of the apartent.  I don't remember the details now and can't find them.

Turns out that scene was in Episode 4, not this one. I just watched it and figured it out. 

On 9/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, J-Man said:

Turns out that scene was in Episode 4, not this one. I just watched it and figured it out. 

Thanks!  I had looked a little and was starting to wonder if I made it all up!