Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The episode titled "The Mote and the Beam" is now slated to air in February, and the title above has been updated! This is still set to air January 8, 2020. As for the description:

Dr. Halstead's world is thrown into turmoil when a former patient resurfaces. April has a secret she considers confessing to Ethan. Dr. Charles tries to maintain his focus during a difficult time.

I'm curious if Chicago Med will stay in its own storyline bubble, and not bring up that Will's brother has been shot near the end of the episode? Will is in the Chicago PD episode, but these shows have a bad habit of not fully integrating storylines from one show to another, unless it's a crossover event.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

And Chicago FEUD is back without missing one beat:

Will & Natalie

April & Marcel

April & her brother

April and THE WORLD

Dr. Charles & his intern

Hospital & Will & Natalie (again)

and the topper: feuding April & Choi are getting married (what could possibly go wrong?)

Best part of the episode Joelle Carter's acting. She was spot on.  👍

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Dr. Marcel checking and later shading April during surgery was the best part of this episode. April could not believe that he basically told her to stay in her lane, unlike everyone else around her. April being April, had to go against Dr. Marcel and almost cost the patient his life. I totally understand Will’s guilt, and I understand Natalie’s point of view. She could have at least respected him enough and informed him that she would be calling CPS and why. I hope this was the final nail in the Will/Natalie saga.

• Love 9

Way to go Natalie! Now that poor little boy lost his beloved mother. Flawed as she was, she was all he had. 🤬

Ethan looked so fine in his uniform. 😏

WTF was with that preview? Are they getting rid of my favorite character? 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

I'm curious if Chicago Med will stay in its own storyline bubble, and not bring up that Will's brother has been shot near the end of the episode? Will is in the Chicago PD episode, but these shows have a bad habit of not fully integrating storylines from one show to another, unless it's a crossover event.

😂I had to rewind it (unfortunately) to listen to April whining about Choi being gone for six weeks...so time jump it was & then Will hopped in his Delorean during PD to deliver the shocking news that Jay was on death's door only for him to walk out a new man less than a day later.

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode--not every moment but it had some good parts.

I always liked CeCe and Dr. Charles so sad at the beginning--and then at the end, I actually cried. I thought that scene was so well done. It felt very real. It was great that Dr. Charles is not some awesome singer but came across more like a real person, with real emotions trying to sing a song.

I hope (this is really being optimistic) that they write Dr. Charles' intern a nice storyline. It would be nice if they continued to make her into a real person, that they showed her growing (while not somehow becoming Dr. Perfect) and she became a fully rounded character. It's more likely they give her some crazy storyline but I can hope. Because I've enjoyed her more human elements.

I can just hope Will and Natalie stay apart. For once, Natalie was in the right. Will isn't an idiot. He knows about mandatory reporting laws. Of course, in the real world, there would be a moment when someone told him and CPS would not walk in the second patient woke up.

I disliked the April/Dr. Surgeon Whose Name I Can't Remember storyline. Yes, It was nice for someone to push back on April playing second doctor on your case. However, I strongly dislike storylines with doctors "getting consent" by intentionally not explaining the options to the patient. It's fine to emphasize this is your best option and I strongly urge you to choose this, but a doctor should explain the options. April should have talked to a doctor and told him the patient has questions, can you go back and talk to him.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

WTF was with that preview? Are they getting rid of my favorite character? 

I saw a preview but didn't get the same impression that they are getting rid of someone. Can you expand on your comment?

2 hours ago, preeya said:

I saw a preview but didn't get the same impression that they are getting rid of someone. Can you expand on your comment?

It was something about Dr. Abrams. It looked as if there had been a mass casualty event.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It was something about Dr. Abrams. It looked as if there had been a mass casualty event.

Yes, I re-watched and they mentioned that there was a plane crash and then something about Dr. Abrams which I couldn't make out. That said, the written preview says something about "Natalie & Goodwin are concerned about Gwen." So it could be Gwen that makes an exit. If it is her I'm sure she won't be missed.

• Love 1

April fucking sucks. I just knew she would be too chickenshit to own up and tell Ethan. Hope when he finds out he dumps her fucking ass. But I'm sure this show will just paint April as the one we should show sympathy for. And sadly I dont see Will Natalie drama crap ending. It will just keep going 

• Love 9

Natalie can't go against protocol & admit a boy so that Will can treat his mother....but she can kidnap a child & force treatment on him because she decides that's what needs to be done.....I guess this week it was decided that Hypocrite Natalie should be taken out for a spin.

Week in, week out she becomes a more pathetic human being than the one before. I would have zero problems with something falling on her from a great height.

While the kid did need DCP involvement, the way she goes about things is downright underhanded, disrespectful to her fellow colleagues, sanctimonious & hypocritical. She is seriously the worst character on this show, and probably the #OneChicago Universe.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, preeya said:

Yes, I re-watched and they mentioned that there was a plane crash and then something about Dr. Abrams which I couldn't make out. That said, the written preview says something about "Natalie & Goodwin are concerned about Gwen." So it could be Gwen that makes an exit. If it is her I'm sure she won't be missed.

Who is Gwen?

I never enjoy Natalie, and she should've given him a warning, but Will was the bigger fuck-up in this one imo. Every decision he made was all about him and his guilt, not the kid or even the mother - and as icing on the cake, if he'd stayed with his patient instead of rushing off to pick a fight, he might've been able to talk her out of leaving the hospital.

Edited by Emma9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Guildford said:

She is seriously the worst character on this show, and probably the #OneChicago Universe.

id give that title to April but it’s a close call beteeen the two of them On a weekly basis. 

• Love 6

Natalie was out of hand, to just spring that on her.  Most case workers WANT the kids to stay/return to their parents when they are back on their feet.   They could have prepared her and explained the process, looked for options for both of them.  Not just coming in and 'taking' her child.  I thought that was unfair to case workers, who have a tough enough job as it is.  From an acting point of view, she steals every scene she's in, just like she did on Justified.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Natalie (Torrey Devito) wasn't on Justified.  It was Natalie Zea who played Winona, a character I couldn't stand.

Sorry, the pronouns were confusing, my bad.  I was referring to Joelle Carter, who played the mom in this episode.  She was Ava on Justified.  But yeah, agree with you about annoying Winona.

• Love 2

Natalie might have been right in calling Protective Services, but it has to be taken with a grain of salt considering the rules (and laws) she broke previously.

And as was said, what terrible timing to spring this on the mother when she's just come out of a rapid detox. You told Will you could hold the kid for a Max of 48 hours. Why not wait 24 hours before calling. It's not like she was going to take the kid immediately after getting out of the detox, as she was in no condition. This way, you can call in Dr. Charles and the news can be gently broken to her, and her options can be laid out for what she must do to get her son back. Mention to her that this rapid detox is good step in the right direction, and shows that she's willing to do whatever it takes to get her son back.  

That's a lot better than coming through withdrawal, having her think she's on the path to being better, and then being told immediately that her son is being taken away, and instantly jumping to bad thoughts and thinking Will lied. All of which pushed her to get another fix, which killed her.

• Love 8

Episode was yet another disappointment (for me) which I intended to post sooner.   Haven't read comments yet but I'm certain most has been said.

Chexel (Choi/Sexton/Marcel) - Ms. Know it All is at it again.  Glad Marcel put her in her place although I still just don't see the allure these men have for her.  Can they possibly make her character any more unlikable?  Silly Choi should have stayed gone but to return and propose - who didn't see that coming?  Now, I'll have to suffer with the WSWS (will she/won't she) finally divulge to Ethan that she kissed Marcel?  It's just not that interesting and they don't belong together.

Maggie/Ben? - A story that should have never been told.  This is really the best they could do for Maggie?

Natalie - Another Ms. Know-it-All who basically went back on her word to Will.  Pompous Will (not unlike Natalie) - always knowing what's best for the patient and failing badly.

The writers need to turn this show around quickly as they are definitely losing this fan.  I feel like I'm barely hanging on with life support.  It was going off the rails anyway and sorry, but with Connor gone--and even CeCe now--it has no interesting story to tell.   April, Natalie and Will just cannot carry this show.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 3
On 1/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, jabRI said:

Sorry, the pronouns were confusing, my bad.  I was referring to Joelle Carter, who played the mom in this episode.  She was Ava on Justified.  But yeah, agree with you about annoying Winona.

They must be running out of characters, Joelle Carter was on Chicago Justice, another spinoff that only lasted the one season 

IMO they did a really poor job of introducing the mom's addiction and its origin. Yes, it's terrible that she became addicted to the painkillers. But the majority of patients do not; and if she were truly suffering when she'd initially come in at a level 9 as she claimed, then what exactly was Will supposed to do? Had he sent her away with ibuprofen - or nothing at all - the woman would also have carried a grudge then too. It seems like a no-win situation. 

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 1