Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Papa Don't Preach

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Paul struggles when Rainbow and Santamonica want to participate in a beauty pageant. Meanwhile, Johan gets teased for crying after a martial arts tournament, and Alicia and Harrison struggle with the best way for him to fight back.

Airs November 26, 2019.

1 hour ago, Aileen said:

I thought this episode was great. I'm assuming it was the final episode of the original season order since the ending felt like a finale with the flash forwards.

I wondered that too, but apparently the original order had 13 episodes.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/mixed-ish-stumptown-the-rookie-back-orders-abc-emergence-remains-renewal-contention-bless-this-mess-1202770143/

22 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

I do like this show but they need to tone the youngest one just a tad, IMOo.

I couldn't agree more. Her character is just over the top and annoying.

This show reminds me a bit of the family-friendly sitcoms from the 90s but with a twist. Mark-Paul Gosselaar comes across as a very sweet dad.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Aileen said:

I thought this episode was great. I'm assuming it was the final episode of the original season order since the ending felt like a finale with the flash forwards.

Wondered that too, but loved the flash forwards. I don't watch Black-ish regularly so was curious about how everyone turned out. Have they ever showed her parents? 

5 hours ago, Victura said:

This show reminds me a bit of the family-friendly sitcoms from the 90s but with a twist. Mark-Paul Gosselaar comes across as a very sweet dad.

ITA. I've been really enjoying MPG on this show. In every other show he's been on I've had a hard time not thinking of him as Zach Morris. Not here. I wonder if his authentic portrayal of a sweet dad is because he's able to relate to the child actors.

I continue to love this show. The montage they have near the end of the show (this episode set to Modern English's I Melt With You) is just great. 

• Love 11

Denise doesn't have kids--that she knows of, hah, hah. Kind of like when Erica Kane learned that a fetus she thought had been legally aborted 25 years earlier had been transferred into her doctor's infertile wife. And then the adult son Erica never knew she had showed up. It was one of the most widely reviled storylines in the history of daytime soap operas. But I digress. 🙄

I do like this show but they need to tone the youngest one just a tad, IMO.

Wonder if they're showing the episodes out of order because it seems to me they had dialed her back quite a bit from where she was when the show began. This episode felt like a throwback to me as far as Santamonica was concerned.

BTW, I saw the young actress who plays Santamonica on Jimmy Kimmel's show a few weeks ago. She acted pretty much like Santamonica does except dialed up to 11. I almost felt bad for her because so much of her behavior and comments seemed overly calculated and rehearsed to me. I wonder how long she'll be able to keep that shtick up before it wears on her? In 50 years there might be a movie called Whatever Happened to Baby Santamonica? 😑

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I thought that was a really good episode, and I liked how they handled they often complex nature of gender norms. Poor little Bow just wanted to feel pretty sometimes, and thats ok! Some girls love looking pretty and twirling batons, and thats great! Some girls love bird watching and building mechanical devices, and thats great! Some girls love both, and thats great too! 

MPG does really well with kids on screen it seems like, he was great with his kid co-star in the late lamented The Passage as well. He has a real sweetness with kids, but without talking down to them.

With the flash forwards I assume that its the season finale, I hope that we get a season two, I've enjoyed this show a lot, honestly a lot more than the mothership show recently!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

First and last time watching for me. Only characters I liked were Bow and her dad,,,the little one is a full-blown monster. Also can't help but wonder how a lovely girl like Bow, who I'm sure had her pick of men ended up with a slug like Dre.

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I agreed in the beginning of the show Santamonica was too much but they toned her down. This was an episode that needed a heavy dose of Santa Monica because of the plot. I thought she was great this ep and carried it.

Santa Monica, the aunt and grandpa do all the heavy lifting for this show. The parents, rainbow, and johan are all dull. Bow, Dre, the grandparents, junior, and Diane on black ish are all heavy weights. Blackish also has Dre’s coworkers. If they tone done Santa Monica here even more there wouldn’t be much left. This is supposed to be a comedy.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2019 at 6:41 AM, kazza said:

In every other show he's been on I've had a hard time not thinking of him as Zach Morris.

I had the same problem too.  Except his role on Pitch cured me of that.  He was gruff-hot on that show (**sobs over its cancellation**) and I was like Zach who?  I like him in his crunchy goodness here too.  Although I love Denise being so perplexed why the moms found him hot.

This ep was cute.  I was so happy when Alicia finally went HAM on that Faux-Sensei dude.  I only wish they hadn't freeze framed it.

I agree that this episode needed dialed up Santi. A beauty pageant is her native habitat.  No way would she have been subdued about that.  After the pilot I think they figured out how much of Santi's OTT personality to parcel out in each episode.  She was great in the ep where Harrison took her out to dinner.  And in the country club episode she and Johan were just kids on a tear, but I did like the smallish little bit of her wearing a fur and speaking in a Natasha Badenov accent.

The end montage was sweet. Alos the end tag with Alicia hugging ("This is what Ghandi would want me to do") one of the frisky moms was funny.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3
On 11/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, sealit said:

Um, no. If someone called my Asian half of the family Orientals in 1985 it would not have gone over well. 

Seriously I wonder who thought that line was accurate because it certainly wasn’t my experience. 

• Love 2

Yeah, that struck as "what people who didn't know any Asians thought was woke in 1985." Kind of like white actors who complain about how SUDDENLY you can't do yellowface/whitewash anymore, as if Asian-Americans haven't been complaining about how racist that is since movies existed.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Seriously I wonder who thought that line was accurate because it certainly wasn’t my experience. 

To be fair that side bit came from Alicia's POV  and  they did live on a Commune for years so the change in acceptable language probably hadn't filtered to her yet. 

Fact of the matter is, evolving language takes a while to filter from either academic or activism to the general public adopted usage.  I think is was in the late 80s that the move from 'black' to African-American was strongly proposed and I don't think the term African-American really gained public traction til the mid-90s.

I know right now people are really trying to work with how to address gender fluid folks.  Proper pronoun usage is big on college campuses and very woke spots, but I have yet to hear  'they/them' pronoun usage really adopted universally in colloquial language. 

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

To be fair that side bit came from Alicia's POV  and  they did live on a Commune for years so the change in acceptable language probably hadn't filtered to her yet.

I was actually referring to Bow’s VO where she said that was considered woke in the 1980s which was most definitely not my experience.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I finally got around to watching this episode.

First, sorry the dad is not that hot to make the ladies swoon. He looks like a bum. Teenage Zack Morris was a cutie....grown up not so much.

I do like how he throws himself into taking care of the kids. However, he has to realize that his kids have the right to choose what they like and not impose his supposedly "progressive views" on them. Santi would shine in those type of pageants.

I'm sorry Bow, your brother and sister are hot messes. Johann has grown up to be a freeloader who does nothing but "follow his star" and your sister is a nasty reality show gold digger.

Your parents kind of sucked.

36 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I do like how he throws himself into taking care of the kids. However, he has to realize that his kids have the right to choose what they like and not impose his supposedly "progressive views" on them. Santi would shine in those type of pageants.

I'm sorry Bow, your brother and sister are hot messes. Johann has grown up to be a freeloader who does nothing but "follow his star" and your sister is a nasty reality show gold digger.

You say everybody has the right to choose how they live their lives and then you chastise them for the way they chose to live their life?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

You say everybody has the right to choose how they live their lives and then you chastise them for the way they chose to live their life?

Everybody has a right to live their lives and I have a right to comment on fictional characters in this forum, otherwise what are we all talking about?

Bow said her siblings were happy and I thought the adult versions of her siblings seemed lost and confused. I disagreed with her assessment...it really was not all that serious.

There really is not point of having forums discussing shows if we are no allowed to talk about character choices and motivations.

Edited by qtpye