Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

Guesses on when and to whom James will blab what he overheard of the Willow/Nina conversation?

Maxie* and Ava overhears. 

*It might be Cody but he's seldom anywhere near Ava.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

An estranged brother isn't the same as an unknown son. Once Cody admitted he was Mac's son, he confessed to everything else about the lie and was remorseful. Mac ignored Cody for weeks. He deserved a "snap out of it!" from Felicia. When was he going to be a grownup and start using his words? All he had to do was tell Cody he needed some time to process everything, but instead Mac stomped his feet and took out his anger on his dumbo grandson. His 8-year-old dumbo grandson.

to be fair...he used his words when Cody explained it. icing someone out is grown up, i think when you tell them, well i don't know you, I don't trust you and I don't want you in my life because you lied I don't think Cody is really owed anymore than that from Mac. like everytime Maxie/Felicia goes says snap out of it -it just reads like "well we like him, so why don't you he only lied." 

[if there was more after that outside of Mac telling James he cant be w/Cody - i do apologize because the only thing i can remember is them sort of setting them up - but that wasn't on youtube for me to   see the the sceen). 

like i said I wasn't aware that Mac decided that James couldn't be w/Cody and everyone just... going w/that. that should have been Maxie's call so that one is kinda of iffy for me. 

but in terms of bratty etc. to throw in my two cents- i just feel that they are all written to be like the bestest superest kids that ever kidd'ed. (or being SUPER [insert adjective here] and it can wear on ones nerves). like how people speak rarely bothers me - so i don't are about Violet's lisp or her innotations, or anything like that. it's just that again a lot of times the don't act like kids - nor if they do something really requires discipline it is not forth coming (and very rarely told no). I just remember little Cameron when Liz told him to put his toys away or couldn't have another piece of candy. Cam would sneak a piece, Liz would catch him and it was "But Mommmyyyy" and it was just. one look. or "Cameron. Webber." and he'd put it away and do what he was told. 

Donna didn't want to share daddy's candy [when imo she was at an age to realise what that bottle meant] and she didn't get in trouble or disciplined at all James basically threw a tantrum, ran away, hid when he was called, nearly drowned, and just lost video games? you might as well have not bothered there. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, JMO said:

I think both Lucky and Emily came on to the show at somewhat older ages, maybe 10-12? 

Yes, JJ has said during interviews he was 11 when he started on GH. I've also seen references (including Soaps.com) to AT coming on the show as Emily at age 11.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

i just feel that they are all written to be like the bestest superest kids that ever kidd'ed. (or being SUPER [insert adjective here] and it can wear on ones nerves)

The writing for and about the kids is generally awful. They are excruciating to watch.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

to be fair...he used his words when Cody explained it. icing someone out is grown up, i think when you tell them, well i don't know you, I don't trust you and I don't want you in my life because you lied I don't think Cody is really owed anymore than that from Mac.

That was in the heat of the reveal. Mac hung on to his anger and didn't talk to Cody after that. Be mad for a while, sure. But Mac isn't going to get to know Cody or trust him if they don't talk more. 

Whatever. They're besties now that dumbo James brought them together. 

• Like 4
On 8/17/2024 at 12:38 PM, dubbel zout said:

I don't think people are mad at Mac for being angry with Cody, they're mad because he's stomping his feet and pouting about it. He hadn't tried to talk to Cody after the reveal on July 4, instead going out of his way to avoid Cody and ban his grandson from doing one of his favorite activities. At least all of that is done and the story can move forward.

This.

I think Donna should have been punished because what she did was selfish and she knew that it was wrong. I think that James should have some consequences but I understand that what he did was out of frustration that he was not allowed to see an important person in his life and there was no good explanation for it, and worse, no discussion or compromise.

Mac had all the power to indulge his whim, and James had none.

Curiously I saw the following tweet the day the show aired. I agree.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

no good explanation for it, and worse, no discussion or compromise.

He’s a child. He isn’t owed an explanation or a compromise. No means no. If a parent says ‘no’ and the child throws a tantrum or runs off because he didn’t get his way, that child gets punished. Not with ‘no video games or ice cream for a week’ but with something of consequence that will hopefully teach the child that it is NOT okay to behave like that. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

This is the second time that James has runaway from home to go see Cody. He knew the first time how worried Maxie and the rest of his family were and he chose to do it again. 

Just like when Spencer was a child and would use Cassadine resources to leave his European school to come to Port Charles without telling anyone. And neither Nikolas or Laura did much to dissuading his repeated behavior.

Instead of no ice cream and video games, Maxie should have told James that while he could continue to take riding lessons with Cody, he is grounded for the next month or so and no visits to the Q stables. He could hang out with Cody but no lessons during that time.

• Like 4

As someone who parented their kid with logical consequences as opposed to "punishments", I think both Donna and James suffered consequences from their actions, but their dopey parents are too dumb to point them out.

Donna had her stomach pumped - what a perfect opportunity to tell her that this is why she isn't to take other people's vitamins/medicine/whatever. Your throat hurts right now because you did something you shouldn't have. Not "oh my poor baby, here have two popsicles".  If you had made a different choice you wouldn't feel so awful right now. Maybe you'll choose differently next time.

Same with James. If he had told someone where he wanted to go he would not have fallen in the water when he was all by himself and nearly drowned. Maybe you'll make a different choice next time, kid. Glad you're okay but you're the one who put yourself in this situation.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Sake614 said:

He’s a child. He isn’t owed an explanation or a compromise. No means no. If a parent says ‘no’ and the child throws a tantrum or runs off because he didn’t get his way, that child gets punished. Not with ‘no video games or ice cream for a week’ but with something of consequence that will hopefully teach the child that it is NOT okay to behave like that. 

i have to laugh because i read this in my mom's voice. I remember when I was little and I was like "I need to know why." and my mom is like. "because i'm your mother, that's the only why you need to know right now." when I got older, she would explain it (she called (well calls) it 'teachable moments.").  because I will admit sometimes you need to know why reasoning behind the why and sometimes "because i said so." doesn't fly.  But i do believe that comes w/age and maturity. (and talking to your parents in regards to how you process information i feel) 

9 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

As someone who parented their kid with logical consequences as opposed to "punishments", I think both Donna and James suffered consequences from their actions, but their dopey parents are too dumb to point them out.

Honestly - if that had even been discussed. or like even having "two popsicles"  was like a homemade ice cube with a popsicle stick in it, and then explain why she's not getting anything fancy - i would have sat better with me. but again, it just felt like "Donna coulda died, but she's just sooo cuteeeeee, anything she wants." which makes me at least go "but where's the punishment though?" even though her actions caused the punishment she received [ie: stomach pumping etc]. 

• Like 3

Huh.  I viewed this all differently.  Through a different lens, perhaps?  I have no problem with James, he's a child.  I was completely befuddled WHY Mac is laying down the law for Maxie's child???  Excuse me?  Is the eldest male in the family the boss of everyone?   That annoyed the shit out of me.  I had a lot of questions about that.  

• Like 7
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

Huh.  I viewed this all differently.  Through a different lens, perhaps?  I have no problem with James, he's a child.  I was completely befuddled WHY Mac is laying down the law for Maxie's child???  Excuse me?  Is the eldest male in the family the boss of everyone?   That annoyed the shit out of me.  I had a lot of questions about that.  

Was there a scene about that?  I just don't remember.  I'd just assumed that Mac had made his feelings known and Maxie had decided to honor them.  But ultimately the decision was hers, and she acknowledged that she should have made a different one.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Sake614 said:

He’s a child. He isn’t owed an explanation or a compromise. No means no.

I think James is owed an explanation in this instance. He loves riding and being with Cody, yet Mac unilaterally and suddenly decides James can't do either, for no reason at all. 

12 hours ago, nilyank said:

Instead of no ice cream and video games, Maxie should have told James that while he could continue to take riding lessons with Cody, he is grounded for the next month or so and no visits to the Q stables. He could hang out with Cody but no lessons during that time.

Absolutely this. Running away—again!—is not the way to deal with frustration, and James is old enough to understand that. He should have some genuine consequences, but the show really punts when it comes to parenting. For kids of any age, heh.

12 minutes ago, JMO said:

Was there a scene about that?  I just don't remember.  I'd just assumed that Mac had made his feelings known and Maxie had decided to honor them.  But ultimately the decision was hers, and she acknowledged that she should have made a different one.

Maxie did yell at Mac for making that decision, and Mac admitted it wasn't his place, but that was the end of it. 

• Like 5
On 8/16/2024 at 3:12 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

TJ looks like an asshole in an art gallery. 

well, to be fair, TJ looks like an asshole everywhere....

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I think that maybe James deserves an explanation, but that doesn't mean that he is owed one.  Mac might be wrong, but James is still a kid who should do as Mac says.

3 hours ago, CeChase said:

Is the eldest male in the family the boss of everyone?

I think this might be what we are supposed to think.  Mac, being the eldest male, is the highest authority in the household and his decision ultimately overrules Maxie, the child's mother.

• Angry 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Donna had her stomach pumped - what a perfect opportunity to tell her that this is why she isn't to take other people's vitamins/medicine/whatever. Your throat hurts right now because you did something you shouldn't have. Not "oh my poor baby, here have two popsicles".  If you had made a different choice you wouldn't feel so awful right now. Maybe you'll choose differently next time.

Same with James. If he had told someone where he wanted to go he would not have fallen in the water when he was all by himself and nearly drowned. Maybe you'll make a different choice next time, kid. Glad you're okay but you're the one who put yourself in this situation.

They didn't really have to deal with consequences or punishments at all, though. For Donna, she should have had a stern talking to from an adult, something that matters to her taken away for a certain period of time and no popsicles. Her throat is sore? Okay, well she doesn't have to eat anything that would aggravate her throat but no treats to make it feel better either. All she'll remember is that she got away with something that she knew she shouldn't do, she was asleep in the hospital for a little while and her throat got sore as a result, so she got treats to make it feel better. Nothing happened to leave the impression "this was bad behavior and I must never do it again."

James runs away twice because he didn't get what he wants and whatever reason(s) the adults gave him wasn't good enough for him. Well, too bad kid. We're very lucky that Cody was here when you got in trouble. But this kid was in a panic for just minutes - he was very briefly scared and he didn't lose anything important (.e.g a necklace that belonged to his dad). Then Maxie tells him, you can have riding lessons with Cody. So he basically got rewarded for bad behavior because he flat-out said he didn't care about losing ice cream or video games. 

I would feel differently if either kid had an extended hospital stay due to painful injuries or illness and that left a lasting impression/memory, but that's not the case with these two kids. 

I understand that Mac had good reason to be mad at Cody and reacted, and Maxie went along with what he said out of love and respect for Mac. But again, Maxie is the parent and she doesn't owe her child an explanation that he finds acceptable regardless. I know of kids who have actually been abused or neglected by their parents or parents' significant others, who wouldn't do what James did. He's a brat. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3

Oh Jagger. Since you have a penis you weren't destined to screw Sonny, so you're just being screwed before you end up dead or out of town. Shame.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Wow, Brad and Teri, and it's not even Pride. I had to laugh at her reference to his "extremely checkered past as a GH employee." That's certainly a polite way to phrase it. I liked how Brad owned up to all of his shenanigans. Too bad he's one of the few who does.

Could the desk sergeant be more of a Jason toadie? Who cares if he's been waiting patiently for Anna? So gross.

I love how Wagger said he wouldn't litigate (figure of speech! the case against Kristina in the middle of GH while doing exactly that. It would be vaguely more interesting to watch this if the deck wasn't stacked quite so high against Wagger. We know Sonny and his side will win anyway, but it would be nice to see him have to make even a small effort beyond the usual posturing. Sigh.

The pearl-clutching about the kids seeing adults have sex cracks me up. It's always as vanilla as can be. Sasha and Cody were in his room, not going at it on the stable floor.

Jason is an idiot to give Anna any more grace periods when it comes to Valentin. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Brad! That was unexpected. I wonder if his aunt Selina will have any issues with that?

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Why is Jordan having that discussion with Molly? It crosses all sorts of professional and personal boundaries. It seems to me that far from breaking up with TJ, Molly is getting set to blame everything on Kristina.  Blaming Kristina for being too rash and impulsive is rich from the woman who confronted Ava about the baby.

Good to see Teri and Brad again. Hopefully more of Brad and more of the hospital. But omg, this show is going backwards.

I liked Tracy explaining to Violet about riding and both of them in proper helmets.

Alexis actually got something to do that wasn't a make-work project.

I'm still rooting for Jagger although I know that it's a hopeless cause.

Dante was sweet with Kristina today

8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Jason is an idiot to give Anna any more grace periods when it comes to Valentin. 

Fixed that for you.

Why is the discussion of James more interesting than today's episode?

8 hours ago, Daisy said:

i have to laugh because i read this in my mom's voice.

My mother had studied classics so she would say "Quodniam nominor Leo" but it did not make me want to behave.  As an adult I worked at a family clinic and it always seemed to me that explaining things to a child got better results.

Both James and Mac did something immature and wrong but only James was punished. Maxie also was wrong but again, minimal punishment.

• Like 8

The Kristina story would be more interesting to me, and less aggravating, if they hadn't chosen to sacrifice a historical character to it.  Bring on a baddie FBI agent if you want, and we can all hate him together while we root for the mobster and his daughter.  But to ruin a character with history for the purpose of propping Sonny is just an insult, and wastes the storyline along with the character.

I was tickled that Violet and Tracy wore the same outfits and the same hairstyles today.  If Brook Lynn and Chase end up adopting Violet, Tracy will officially be her great-grandmother, and that would be a sweet relationship to watch evolve.  

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My mother had studied classics so she would say "Quodniam nominor Leo" but it did not make me want to behave.  As an adult I worked at a family clinic and it always seemed to me that explaining things to a child got better results.

Both James and Mac did something immature and wrong but only James was punished. Maxie also was wrong but again, minimal punishment.

Yes, both to the discussion of James being more interesting, and to your points.  Kids do better when they understand, and adults do better when they check themselves, to make sure they aren't just operating on a whim.  I evaluated many children re: abuse and neglect, went to court on a number of them, and can say that, while every case is quite complex, one of the commonalities is adults who expect blind obedience "just because", without explanation, and then get angry when the child can't extrapolate.  But, again, fictional character in a fictional situation.  In my real world, 'brats' don't exist, but kids do.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

A) Because we're awesome; almost always more creative thinkers and snarkers than TPTB for this Show.  Not to mention, we appreciate Jane Elliot working her craft.

B) James is a child who scared his family and also got himself into physical trouble because he was determined to get what he wants. (Are we positive he's not related to Carly? lol) Mac and Maxie are both adults who are flawed, but unless their actions directly caused physical or emotional/psychological harm to a person, I don't see why they need to be punished (except when young Maxie was supplying Lucky with drugs and deliberately coming between him and his-then wife). They are not abusive people. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

Why would Molly believe Ava (via Cates), rather than Kristina? I think if she hadn't been spending so much time with TJ picking apart everything that Kristina did while she was pregnant, she might be better able to look at the situation objectively. Although, realistically, she shouldn't be involved at all due to Kristina being the surrogate for Molly and TJs baby. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Why would Molly believe Ava (via Cates), rather than Kristina? I think if she hadn't been spending so much time with TJ picking apart everything that Kristina did while she was pregnant, she might be better able to look at the situation objectively. Although, realistically, she shouldn't be involved at all due to Kristina being the surrogate for Molly and TJs baby. 

Because when she was looking at the pictures Kristina showed her, she one of Kristina, pointing her finger in Ava's face. So clearly, that means that it's all Kristina's fault that she fell through the window and lost the baby.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, JMO said:

If Brook Lynn and Chase end up adopting Violet

GRRRR.... I'm still not over this. Even the very idea of this, the suggestion of it! They completely railroaded one of the very few genuinely good characters on the show over (show time) less than two weeks, destroyed his relationship, his career, ignored his friendships but for a few and those until the end, took his daughter from him, ignored his already stated legal plans for her should guardianship be needed. But, yeah, sure, his daughter has matching outfits with Tracy, so it's all good! Ugh, I hate what they did to Finn. It was so awful.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 1
10 hours ago, Daisy said:

sometimes "because i said so." doesn't fly

Tell that to my dad lol! Even into my 20s, when I wanted to borrow the car, it was always no. When I asked why I got ‘because I said so.’ When I pressed him for more, and said I’d accept it even if I don’t agree, he just repeated ‘because I said so.’ It was infuriating but I finally gave up because there was not going to be any elaboration.

• LOL 3
On 8/18/2024 at 4:09 PM, ciarra said:

Guesses on when and to whom James will blab what he overheard of the Willow/Nina conversation?

I also think he'll tell Maxie - and she'll tell Nina and Carly overhears.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Shut UP, Teri.

STFU, Molly!

STFU JORDAN.

It breaks my heart to see what’s become of Anna. She has no INTEGRITY and has no business being police commissioner. Suuuure, she’ll find Charlotte and let Valentin go.

There was NO REASON to destroy Jagger. At all.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

Cody can’t  have sex in his room because their are children around? 
Is that stopping Olivia and Ned or chase and Brooklyn? It makes no sense

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
15 minutes ago, ljr said:

Cody can’t  have sex in his room because their are children around? 
Is that stopping Olivia and Ned or chase and Brooklyn? It makes no sense

I got the impression is was because a) it was during work hours and b) he'd been made aware that Tracy and Violet would be riding at that particular time.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The pearl-clutching about the kids seeing adults have sex cracks me up. It's always as vanilla as can be. Sasha and Cody were in his room, not going at it on the stable floor.

Super annoying because if one of the kids who's constantly roaming the Q grounds stormed into Cody's bedroom?  They deserve to see whatever they see.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I guess the show got me good today, because my blood was boiling that the feds would arrest someone who could actually get seriously infected without proper post-discharge bedrest. I mean, I realize this isn't unheard of in real life, but still. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Who all knows about Drew and Willow? Did Sasha ever tell anyone?

She told Cody.  Don't remember if she or he told anyone else.  I remember that he wasn't terribly impressed.

• Like 1

Can't even look at Anna and her sheepish "oopsy" face anymore. Yet she still thinks she's the shit. 

Don't believe Teri would hire a lab tech who repeatedly tampered with previous  results for his own purposes. 🙄 But it could be fun to have Brad back. 

Was waiting for Cates to snarl at Kristina:  "..and your little dog, too!"  He's entered cartoon villain status, but I remain team Cates! 

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Who all knows about Drew and Willow? Did Sasha ever tell anyone?

Sasha told Cody and Willow told Nina. And now James overhead but he's as bored by it as I am.

5 hours ago, JMO said:

I evaluated many children re: abuse and neglect, went to court on a number of them, and can say that, while every case is quite complex, one of the commonalities is adults who expect blind obedience "just because", without explanation, and then get angry when the child can't extrapolate.

I've seen enough bad parenting that I won't object if a child questions a parent's decision.

Yes, James was off unsupervised but isn't he 9?   I'm of the generation that when 9 years old we were free to roam around the neighbourhood as long as we showed up for lunch (or phoned in).

• Like 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, JMO said:

The Kristina story would be more interesting to me, and less aggravating, if they hadn't chosen to sacrifice a historical character to it.  Bring on a baddie FBI agent if you want, and we can all hate him together while we root for the mobster and his daughter.  But to ruin a character with history for the purpose of propping Sonny is just an insult, and wastes the storyline along with the character

I see this as a choice to sacrifice and ruin a historical character again.  Marcus Taggert was a Port Charles PD officer who showed compassion and kindness to teen rape victim Elizabeth Webber from investigation through the arrest of her rapist.  He loathed what Sonny and "Anger Boy"'s crimes did to the city. Fast forward to the 2020s and he's back, but written as being tolerant, even borderline friendly with Sonny because he's just so darn grateful that Sonny would protect Trina since she and Joss are good friends. Then he basically disappeared because the Show decided that Curtis would be her bio father instead and he would be a family unit with her and Portia. Now the Show (mostly via Portia and especially Trina) rarely acknowledges that Taggert exists. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 2
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

While I don’t hate them, Sasha and Cody would lift out of this show so easily. What is this story with them getting interrupted every time they try to hook up? This cast is so bloated that I hope they’re cut because there’s more entertaining options for side characters if we’re just looking for more people who aren’t related to half the town. Brad was a breath of fresh air today 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

While I don’t hate them, Sasha and Cody would lift out of this show so easily

Yes, but... isn't this the only (albeit, slooow) romance on the show right now?  I don't count Drillow, because that's a cheating situation, or Drew/Nina, because she's only keeping him occupied.  Joss and Dex, Brook and Chase, and Spin/Max are pretty much established couples.  Nothing going on with Trina and what's his name. 

• Like 3

Glad to see Brad back .. alway liked him and all of his faults.  I just hope they don't make Willow his new best friend.

Laughed at Dante wanting to pull an all-nighter with Kristina and watch bad reality shows.  He's a great big brother.

Being a fan of Cody and Sasha, I want them to stay on the show.  He just needs to remember to lock the door. Sasha asked him if he did and he just had a dopey look on his face as an answer.  Be mindful, Cody, and Leo can't come running into your room!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, graight said:

Glad to see Brad back .. alway liked him and all of his faults.  I just hope they don't make Willow his new best friend

I don't know, having a gay best friend who side eyes her milk drinking cuck of a husband and tells her to go for the forbidden fruit with the teeth and the abs could be the best thing to happen to the character.

Still on the barge but I am intrigued by the Lulu story. Didn't  expect it to start so soon. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I'm always happy to see Brad back. And count me in for Cody and Sasha. They're pretty and they don't irritate me. 🙂 On this show, that counts for a lot.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yes, James was off unsupervised but isn't he 9?   I'm of the generation that when 9 years old we were free to roam around the neighbourhood as long as we showed up for lunch (or phoned in).

so am I. 

but i still had to tell my mom where i was going etc. (and what i was wearing. You're in the Toronto-ish area so you might remember the story of that little girl who was kidnapped and murdered on the way to school and her mother had no idea what she was wearing or the colour of her backpack or anything like that - to this day decades later, regardless of where i am/living since i talk to my mom every day i let her know what i'm wearing - just in case). 

like when i was little we were EVERYWHERE. but it's just that my parents knew i was out. (and if they called for me - i knew i had to respond not be all "Ninja Sneaky Deaky" and nearly drown myself.

• Like 2
  • Love 1