Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Turkeys and Traditions

• Start Topic

I liked this episode. First holidays without a loved one hurt (this is their second, but, the first one they're actually celebrating, with the big dinner, football, etc.), especially since Jill did the cooking.

Wade finding the recipe book, and the personal touches Jill made to the dishes, was bittersweet.

There's always a sullen teenager or two at every holiday. lol Forrest trying to relate to him (never caught his name) and use current phrasing was funny.

Ben with his fried turkey was cool. 

Jill's sister feeling replaced and displaced by Delia, and the news that Wade is dating, felt real.

I'm glad the girls were able to recreate the favorite sweet potato recipe.

• Love 11

Holidays are always rough after a loved one dies so I was actually thinking that it might be good to have all that chaos of the neighbors and the aunt around to help distract Wade and the girls from Jill's absence, especially since it was one of her big holidays.

Forrest and Delia really hate to think of themselves as anything but young and cool. Forrest's attempts to talk to Lane made Wade's dad jokes seem cool in comparison. I guess I should give Forrest points for trying since I didn't see any of the other adults talking to Lane.

And in Lane's defense (sort of), it kind of sucks to go to family gatherings where you're the oldest kid. On top of that, his cousins were busy trying to make that sweet potato casserole so that left Lane with either talking to his relatives' adult neighbors or playing with said neighbors' kids who were significantly younger. I'm not saying I would love having a sullen teenager at Thanksgiving, but at least he was just keeping to himself, staying out of the way, and not causing trouble.

• Love 11

I loved Wade's Dad jokes. I can't help it, I did.

I also was rolling over Natalie trying to mash the uncooked sweet potato. It reminded me of being in high school and making dinner at a friends house. Desert required stirring in 4 eggs for 5 minutes a piece. I was stirring, and stirring. I asked if she had a mixer, she said no. 87 years later, she says, "Oh you could use this thing." I said, "That's a mixer."

I have a younger relative that won't look up from his phone when he's around us. We had a kitchen fire one year, and he wouldn't even look up long enough to open the window next to him. Unlike Forrest, I've given up.

I've never had a screaming match at Thanksgiving, but I've so wanted to. So this was almost like a fantasy wish fulfillment episode for me. 

• Love 7

I really want them to synch up the Unicorn logos.

I am really tired of the commercials for “Evil”.

Forrest is so earnest. I love how he gushed about Delia’s hair. And how within two seconds she changed her mind about afternoon sex. 

I really wanted to see a close-up of the final deep-fried turkey. It doesn’t seem that Ben breaded it first. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I really wanted to see a close-up of the final deep-fried turkey. It doesn’t seem that Ben breaded it first. 

My uncle doesn't. But his are jet black outside, not nicely browned. And also- does ANYONE carve the turkey at the table? I've never been to a Thanksgiving where that happens.

• Love 4

I love the heart of this show. And the acting talent. This episode felt like it covered every emotion.

I cannot get over how much the two actresses playing Grace and Natalie actually look like sisters. It makes lines like "They're really starting to look like Jill" hit with that much more weight. 

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 11

The funny part about the timer is that, by the time they finally agreed on 11 minutes, the food will actually have been in the oven for the original 14 minutes.

I got a chuckle out of Wade's "That's not humerus" (spelling intentional) joke about the skull.  It went right over his kid's head.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Forrest is so earnest. I love how he gushed about Delia’s hair. And how within two seconds she changed her mind about afternoon sex. 

Even though they can be a bit much, one thing I really like is how much Forrest and Delia clearly like each other. Sometimes you see couples who can barely tolerate each other but stay together out of habit or for the sake of their kids. And sometimes you see people compliment their partner but they don't seem to really mean it. Forrest and Delia might annoy each other, but they also really like each other and still find each other attractive, which I love. It doesn't matter how conventionally attractive you are as long as the person you're with looks at you and thinks you're the most beautiful person in the room.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Bali said:

My uncle doesn't. But his are jet black outside, not nicely browned. And also- does ANYONE carve the turkey at the table? I've never been to a Thanksgiving where that happens.

That's never happened at any of the meals I've been to. Carved in the kitchen, put on a platter, and brought to the table. Same with beef roast at Christmas.

3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I cannot get over how much the two actresses playing Grace and Natalie actually look like sisters. It makes lines like "They're really starting to look like Jill" hit with that much more weight. 

True. 

But, one thing that bugs me is that this show takes place in Raleigh, NC, and no one has a NC or southern accent, except for Walton Goggins, who is from Birmingham, AL.

Edited by ShortyMac
8 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

But, one thing that bugs me is that this show takes place in Raleigh, NC, and no one has a NC or southern accent, except for Walton Goggins, who is from Birmingham, AL.

They definitely could do a better job with the guests. That said, Raleigh is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It could just be that Forest, Delia, Ben, and Michele are all from out of state. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

They definitely could do a better job with the guests. That said, Raleigh is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It could just be that Forest, Delia, Ben, and Michele are all from out of state. 

I agree. On top of that, I should add that I know a lot of people who were born and raised in different cities/towns in North Carolina and lived their entire lives there but have little to no accent. One woman I know who has lived near Raleigh her entire life has no accent and the only indication that she is southern is that she says y'all. Same goes for a guy I knew who grew up in Asheville - no accent at all (and he never says y'all).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree. On top of that, I should add that I know a lot of people who were born and raised in different cities/towns in North Carolina and lived their entire lives there but have little to no accent. One woman I know who has lived near Raleigh her entire life has no accent and the only indication that she is southern is that she says y'all. Same goes for a guy I knew who grew up in Asheville - no accent at all (and he never says y'all).

I agree.  I lived in the South for many years and rarely heard southern accents.  I find it bizarre that people expect everybody who lives in the south to speak with a drawl or a twang.  Other than y'all (which I also say), the other common verbal indication that a person was raised in the south is the tendency to say "Yes/no mam/sir".  I love that charming display of respect/manners.

My favorite thing about this show, by far, is the relationship between Wade and his daughters... and this episode didn't disappoint in that regard.

Also, it was nice to see the actress who played Laurie in the television version of About a Boy, and I liked both the conflict and the resolution in that storyline.

Are sullen teenage boys even more sullen and antisocial in the age of smart phone addiction?  Lane was probably very realistic, unfortunately.

Good episode.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode, although so far I've enjoyed every episode.  And, yeah, I cried a bit when Wade found the recipe book.  I guess I'm a bit in the minority, but I really like Forrest and Delia (this is actually one of the few shows I watch where I like everyone).  I do think they are little overly-stylized, so to speak, but it works.  

Oh, one little lie..I did not like the sister.  However, I don't think we were meant to.  She really was pretty shitty to Delia.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I really enjoyed this episode, although so far I've enjoyed every episode.  And, yeah, I cried a bit when Wade found the recipe book.  I guess I'm a bit in the minority, but I really like Forrest and Delia (this is actually one of the few shows I watch where I like everyone). 

I love Forrest and Delia too. Forrest is just so much fun and very dedicted to his wife, and Delia has many fun lines and I find it entertaining how their daughter is so good at everything.

• Love 6
On 11/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I really enjoyed this episode, although so far I've enjoyed every episode.  And, yeah, I cried a bit when Wade found the recipe book.  I guess I'm a bit in the minority, but I really like Forrest and Delia (this is actually one of the few shows I watch where I like everyone).  I do think they are little overly-stylized, so to speak, but it works.  

Oh, one little lie..I did not like the sister.  However, I don't think we were meant to.  She really was pretty shitty to Delia.

Yeah, she really was awful. 

• Love 1
On 11/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

4 hours ago, Bali said:

Yeah, she really was awful. 

I didn't care for her either and her husband bugged me too. Walking into the house and immediately asking about turning on the tv and football. I understand, football is part of Thanksgiving ( I have watched on that day) but he was a bit obnoxious about it. And no you can't watch it on your phone at the table!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I didn't care for her either and her husband bugged me too. Walking into the house and immediately asking about turning on the tv and football

Dude has a few hundred on the line...,

• Love 1

Holidays after a relative dies can always be rough (well second technically, but the first where they are going all out) especially when it was said relatives favorite holiday, and I think the show did a great job with the bittersweet nature of it. The relationship between Wade and his daughters is still my favorite part of the show, but I really enjoy everything about it. The show has a real warmth to it that I really love, alongside the jokes. 

Many parts of the episode, like the sullen teen, the attempts at mashing potatoes that is going horribly, the multiple people all convinced that they know how to cook everything and not everyone else, all rang very true to life. Especially the Halloween jack o lantern that stays out, rotten and nasty, even while the Christmas decorations are getting put out. 

The sister in law was super crappy to Delia, but I did like that the reason she was crappy to her was at least not something to do with Delia as a person, and more to do with her own insecurities, and maybe her grief. And while she was surprised and a bit hurt to hear that Wade was starting to date again, I was glad she didnt make a huge deal of it, and was understanding of it pretty quickly. 

Loved Wade finding his wife's recipe books, with the little notes she made that were specific to what her family liked. That might have gotten a tiny holiday tear out of me. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The sister in law was super crappy to Delia, but I did like that the reason she was crappy to her was at least not something to do with Delia as a person, and more to do with her own insecurities, and maybe her grief. And while she was surprised and a bit hurt to hear that Wade was starting to date again, I was glad she didnt make a huge deal of it, and was understanding of it pretty quickly. 

Loved Wade finding his wife's recipe books, with the little notes she made that were specific to what her family liked. That might have gotten a tiny holiday tear out of me. 

The "Because that's the way Wade likes it" and Wade's reaction were perfect. Nice job by Walton Goggins. 

The resolution of the Delia/sister storyline was perfect as well. Very touching and I can see both sides.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, MaggieG said:

I didn't care for her either and her husband bugged me too. Walking into the house and immediately asking about turning on the tv and football. I understand, football is part of Thanksgiving ( I have watched on that day) but he was a bit obnoxious about it. And no you can't watch it on your phone at the table!

I grew up surrounded by sports fans - there are legitimately people that obnoxious when it comes to that!

• Love 5

People who live in cities don't have accents.  They may have a word or two that they say differently and there are regional ways of referring to some things (like the fizzy stuff you order at a fast food restaurant) but accents are typically just heard in places where the population has been stable for generations. 

• Love 3

I hate to be the poster who gets caught up in minutiae, but Pensacola to Raleigh is just under a 12-hour drive. I guess they could have flown (still a 3-5 hour flight on a busy travel day), but the pies (& the travelers) seemed to be in great shape when they arrived at the house. The sister's (Pam?) cute outfit, hair, & make-up were pristine, but then again, she is Martha Stewart without the felonies 😉   

Like I said, I hate to be 'that person', but since the writers were insistent on mentioning hometowns, they should have picked a closer city for the sister & family to be traveling from. 

I'm from NOLA; wonder if I know Ben's crazy relatives 😃

On 11/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, meatball77 said:

People who live in cities don't have accents.  They may have a word or two that they say differently and there are regional ways of referring to some things (like the fizzy stuff you order at a fast food restaurant) but accents are typically just heard in places where the population has been stable for generations. 

Tell that to New Yawk and Baahstin.

Of course city people have accents. Everyone sounds like something, and not everyone sounds the same. So everyone has some accent or other. Even within a city, there are variable accents.

• Love 2

A week and a half later and I'm still chuckling over Natalie trying to mash the sweet potato. Also- we had a Friendsgiving. There was a sulky teenager there. And he actually CHOSE to come to our house to sulk. I feel so privileged. I am awesome.

• LOL 7
On 12/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Bali said:

There was a sulky teenager there. And he actually CHOSE to come to our house to sulk. I feel so privileged. I am awesome.

Dude: Thanksgiving is so lame at our house, can we come over?

You: Huh???? Sure, that would be great.

2 hours later

Dude: Thanksgiving is lame everywhere.......

• LOL 3
On 11/22/2019 at 9:00 AM, Bali said:

I loved Wade's Dad jokes. I can't help it, I did.

I also was rolling over Natalie trying to mash the uncooked sweet potato. It reminded me of being in high school and making dinner at a friends house. Desert required stirring in 4 eggs for 5 minutes a piece. I was stirring, and stirring. I asked if she had a mixer, she said no. 87 years later, she says, "Oh you could use this thing." I said, "That's a mixer."

I have a younger relative that won't look up from his phone when he's around us. We had a kitchen fire one year, and he wouldn't even look up long enough to open the window next to him. Unlike Forrest, I've given up.

I've never had a screaming match at Thanksgiving, but I've so wanted to. So this was almost like a fantasy wish fulfillment episode for me. 

I never knew people were so stupid that they thought they could mash a potato before cooking it or didn’t know what a mixer was!!🙄

On 12/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Bali said:

A week and a half later and I'm still chuckling over Natalie trying to mash the sweet potato. Also- we had a Friendsgiving. There was a sulky teenager there. And he actually CHOSE to come to our house to sulk. I feel so privileged. I am awesome.

How do people think this is funny? Who thinks you can mash a potato before it’s cooked ? If I were her father I’d be scheduling an IQ test.  

• Love 1
On 11/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, meatball77 said:

What?!

• Love 2