Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AimingforYoko

Ford v Ferrari (2019)

American car designer Carroll Shelby and driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford and challenge Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966.

I'm a little surprised this movie is doing as well as it is. It's on track to take in more in the opening weekend than the entire domestic gross of Rush. And it's not even about NASCAR.

Very good performances from Bale and Damon and a very bittersweet ending. It was a bit tricky making an American institution the underdog, but they mostly pulled it off.

• Like 4

I am not surprised it's performing well.  I expected it to do well since the first trailer. It has Matt Damon and Christian Bale in top form.  Fast cars.  And the story is well told and gripping.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I'm a little surprised this movie is doing as well as it is. It's on track to take in more in the opening weekend than the entire domestic gross of Rush. And it's not even about NASCAR.

Very good performances from Bale and Damon and a very bittersweet ending. It was a bit tricky making an American institution the underdog, but they mostly pulled it off.

I feel like a NASCAR movie would only appeal to NASCAR fans while a movie about Ford in the 60s has a broader reach.  Also, it's not even really about the racing.  

It's funny you mention the underdog status because I was pleasantly surprised at how the bad guys were usually the Ford brass themselves.  But I guess Ford vs Ford or Shelby vs Ford doesn't really have the same punch to it.

• Like 3

The movie had great background and history which I'd only previously seen in Formula One racing documentaries. 

I liked the movie and usually like race car movies. I would not have seen it if it had been about NASCAR because I don't follow that.

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 5

It was good.  We saw it last night.  It kept my interest, but I thought it was too long and found myself ruminating on what scenes I’d cut.  I didn’t know the story so was surprised throughout.  I know Shelby is revered as a designer, but I never really thought he did much in the movie besides take phone calls and give bad news to Ken.  I found myself getting more annoyed with him as the film went on.  I guess I am a little more “[shrug] it was fine” than I thought based on the trailer.

Shelby in RL was a womanizing dick.  I thought they downplayed his personality.

Christian Bale - whom I’ve loved forever, was fantastic.  In fact my favorite scene was the diner.

I knew the story (all except Shelby’s medical condition), but I didn’t realize the why’s behind the ending of the ‘66 LeMans.

All in all we loved it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 2

I should have said that Christian Bale was terrific!  He usually makes movies I cannot watch so this was a revelation for me, all his acting awards notwithstanding.  I’m not sure I’ve seen him in anything since “Newsies,” which I saw in the theatre in its original run. 😉.

• Like 2

The performances of Matt Damon and Christian Bale were exceptional.

This film will inspire enthusiasts the same way RUSH did for formula one

• Like 4

I enjoyed this a lot.  I knew nothing about the story when I went into it. Bale giving a fantastic performance wasn't surprising.  I do think it could have been a bit shorter, though.  I think I'd have cut out the last two scenes after Ken died-it seemed kind of tacked on.

My favorite scene, strictly from a technical standpoint, was when Ken was working on the cars while listening to the race on the radio.  The lighting in the scene was gorgeous. 

• Like 3

I saw this movie today.  I know very little about racing and knew nothing about the story, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Christian Bale and Matt Damon were fantastic!  

This was one of those rare instances where I didn't mind that the movie was a bit too long.

I just thought about the one nitpick I had, that I could have done without Ken Miles' wife being in so many scenes.  It was an idiot move of hers to drive recklessly to get him to tell her the truth.  She could have killed both of them.  However, I really liked his son so I guess she was in many of them because they were together.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 3

I saw this last week.  I thought it was a good all around movie.  The racing scenes were exciting and well shot.

I agree with everyone on how good Christian Bale's performance was.  Even the physical motions and ticks helped build the character.  I did enjoy Matt Damon's work also.  There was a visible shift when he went from Shelby to salesman.

I liked the inclusion of Miles's wife.  I thought it was important to see her consent and support of his participation.  Otherwise, he would be taking risks without considering his family.  They were also charming together.

The death scene was also well played.  It stung, but as my friend said they didn't linger too much on it.

Lee Iacocca, played by Jon Bernthal in the movie, passed away just this year.

45 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

I liked the inclusion of Miles's wife.  I thought it was important to see her consent and support of his participation.  Otherwise, he would be taking risks without considering his family.  They were also charming together.

While it was important to have her included, I thought there were just too many scenes with her in them.

I did  like the one scene of her casually sitting out front as Miles and Shelby fought it out on the ground.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I did  like the one scene of her casually sitting out front as Miles and Shelby fought it out on the ground.

I would have, except I'd seen the trailer several times and that scene in the trailer is different from the one in the movie. 

• Surprise 1