Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Faith. Hope. Love. Luck.

• Start Topic

Ray brings Mickey to the FBI to turn himself in. Four months later, when one of the police officers’ heads turns up and Ray and his family are implicated in the murder, Ray finds his work with his therapist threatening to unravel. Meanwhile, Mayor Feratti is back to his corrupt ways with increasingly unsavory jobs for Ray, including blackmailing a powerful family from the Donovans’ Boston past.

Original air date: 11/17/19

So what do they have left in the tank?

I guess Showtime won't give up.  After all, Shameless is going to season 10 after getting rid of Fiona.

As long as Lieb Schriber and maybe Voight are willing to keep doing it, Showtime will keep renewing.

I think with this mad rush for content because of all these streaming services, media companies and networks want to hoard content, not streamline their library.

• Love 1

OK I watched this episode and my mind wandered. So I have some questions, after Mickey turns himself in for like what, the 4th time? 

1. In season 1, Mickey is released from Walpole after 20 years for a crime he did not commit. What was that crime? He then proceeds to immediately find a priest and murder him. 

2. Then, in the seasons to follow, twice before this time Mickey is in jail (I recall the time he was in some prison room with an old guy and planned to pretend he is gay in a scheme) and somehow Ray manages to get him released. 

3. And why was Mickey in jail last season when Bunchy broke him out? 

4. In this episode, Mickey turns himself in as part of some deal from last season in which Bunchy gets released. I can't even recall what Bunchy did last season that Mickey turned himself in for in this episode. Was it because Bunchy helped Mickey break out and did Mickey go back because of that jail break? 

Any answers are appreciated to help bring me back up to date. 

Maybe I watch too much TV and it gets all forgotten during the long hiatuses. 

ETA: Basically I am asking for help in recalling the circumstances of all the many times Mickey voluntarily turned himself in and went to jail and help recalling exactly how Ray each time was able to get him out. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 3

Maybe when Bunchy freed Mickey from the hospital and he smashed the guard's head with the hammer?

Assuming the guy died, it's hard to believe they'd let Bunchy avoid prison.

Obviously they're not killing Mickey.  But the crash lets them free Mickey and the cops aren't after him any more.

Of course that means Ray's plan to pin the murders of the crooked cops on Mickey may not work.  Especially since they disposed of the bodied in the same spot and the divers will probably find all 3 of the cops there.

I forgot all the details of last season, I guess Ray got rid of the Susan Sarandon character for good and now he's working for Ferrati full time and side job with old Stu.

I don't know how Parkinson's works.  They cured Terry for about a minute and then make the symptoms even worse?  Seems cruel or maybe they just don't have any good story ideas for the character.  Now he's going to get involved with "Liberty" taking some hallucinogenic tea.  But she's on birth control so maybe a love interest for Terry?

Meanwhile looks like Bridget is going to join the family business.  She sure isn't the pussy that Smitty, whom she wants to dump after what a few months of marriage, seems to be.  Looks like the previews show her being hands on and being action heroine.

Of course the cops are going to look at Ray, since he knew one of the 4 cops who died all around the same time.  Either that homicide detective is crooked or vulnerable to some kind of blackmail, which we see from the guy whose pics Lena takes is still a Ray Donovan specialty.

• Love 1

Part of me really liked seeing Ray continuing his therapy and seeing the effect it had on his behavior. Sometimes it was funny (like when he told the stalker he would break his arms and then took a deep breath and told him he should consider getting some help). Sometimes it was sad (like when he finally decided to go see Mickey and it went about as well as I'd imagined it would).

If nothing else, it shows that Ray recognizes that he needs to change and he is making an effort to do so. From a character point of view, it shows growth which I appreciate because unless you're watching a show like The Simpsons, you can't go on for multiple years without showing at least SOME change/growth/development.

But my question is how much they can defang Ray and stil have him be good at his job. If he's already apologizing to a stalker who he only punched, is he going to get to the point where there are lines he won't cross anymore?

My favorite moment was at the gun range. I liked that when Bridget said she didn't want to be married but she still loved Smitty, he immediately sussed out that she'd met someone else. When he tried to tell her it was okay because that happens and she said, "Yeah, it happened a lot with you," I laughed SO HARD. The truth hurts, man.

Bridget is one of the most annoying characters on the show, but she was right about that. I was never an Abby fan, but it made me so mad that Ray thought it was totally fine to fuck every woman within a 200 mile radius but Abby had one affair and he was furious. I just can't with that kind of hypocrisy.

That teenage client was THE WORST. I mean, I already hated him just based on his outfit, but the more he talked the more I hoped Ray would have a good reason to punch him too.

• Love 5

Ray is taking deep breaths and thinking it out. How long will this last?

The smart and careful Donovan family didn't put weights or rocks in the bags?

I never knew Alan Alda was suffering form Parkinson's. He was trying to hold back from shaking.

Why didn't Liberty tell Terry to remove his shoes before entering the room? If Terry bangs her, I am throwing my TV out the window.

Sandy has all those guns in the house and approaches a potential burglar with a dildo?

It went from day time to nighttime instantly and the driver never finished the sandwich?

As stupid and annoying Mickey is, I don't want him off the show. 

Just having pictures of Sullivan with a man wasn't enough, they had to put a little person in pretending to be a kid. Very greedy!

So it will be the Donovans versus the Sullivans this season?

Edited by mxc90
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That teenage client was THE WORST. I mean, I already hated him just based on his outfit, but the more he talked the more I hoped Ray would have a good reason to punch him too.

At first I wondered why Ray would take on a Justin Bieber like character, but then when the guy asked about payment and Ray told him (paraphrasing) “Thanks for helping Bridget” it made sense of something I can’t recall. I hated that the teen took the angle that he got raped by an older woman. 36...ha!

I too am going to have to google a synopsis of what happened so that the rest of the season becomes clear. 

I’m wondering about the scam that Terry has fallen into. At first I saw the puke buckets and wondered about heroin, but now I’m thinking peyote or Ayahuasca (which is certainly no milk thistle tea). I don’t know that any of these are addictive, but I’m figuring that those offering whatever it is has an angle. 

Glad to see Ray back in his well fitting suits, but where were the white shirts? I guess the dark blue disguises dirt better. 

On the season preview we see Ray opening the door only to punch someone in the face. I’m wondering if Mickey escaped the inferno. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Ray is taking deep breaths and thinking it out. How long will this last?

I laughed every time Ray went to his coping mechanism. 

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

It went from day time to nighttime instantly and the driver never finished the sandwich?

Yeah, that was really poor editing. At the very least, they needed to show he got the sandwich as sundown was occurring.

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Just having pictures of Sullivan with a man wasn't enough, they had to put a little person in pretending to be a kid. Very greedy!

Having a boyfriend or getting a blow job might damage his marriage, but it's not the end of his career at the present time. But, having a "child" in the room as it's happening would be harder to overcome.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

So it will be the Donovans versus the Sullivans this season?

OMG I am sooooo mixed up. That was Sully getting a BJ? Sully is dead. So that was done years ago in a flashback? I am really totally lost. I tried to read a synopsis to get up to date but not everything is included in ep summaries online. 

2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Having a boyfriend or getting a blow job might damage his marriage, but it's not the end of his career at the present time. But, having a "child" in the room as it's happening would be harder to overcome.

I see your point. No way he can go back on Ferrati with this.

7 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

OMG I am sooooo mixed up. That was Sully getting a BJ? Sully is dead. So that was done years ago in a flashback? I am really totally lost. I tried to read a synopsis to get up to date but not everything is included in ep summaries online. 

This is not Sully from S1. This is billionaire mogul Kevin Sullivan (maybe related to Sully ... to be determined), he is trying to go back on a promise to Ferrati and Ray is sent in to make sure it doesn't happen.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Yeah, that was really poor editing. At the very least, they needed to show he got the sandwich as sundown was occurring.

If it was explained he is implementing a "Portion control" diet.... that is the only excuse I'll accept.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 1

Strange thing was Mickey constantly staring at the green logo of the tanker truck, making eye contact with the driver repeatedly.

Yeah Mickey really believes in the "fow leaf clover" thing I guess.

But it was kind of a deus ex machina, to have the tanker driver die while the truck was at the top of an incline while the prison bus was following in the same lane.

Of course Mickey happened to be at the back of the bus, the furthest away from the crash and explosion.

Allows Mickey to be out of prison for awhile, with the authorities probably assuming he's dead, though they must not have a corpse?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

OK I watched this episode and my mind wandered. So I have some questions, after Mickey turns himself in for like what, the 4th time? 

1. In season 1, Mickey is released from Walpole after 20 years for a crime he did not commit. What was that crime? He then proceeds to immediately find a priest and murder him. 

2. Then, in the seasons to follow, twice before this time Mickey is in jail (I recall the time he was in some prison room with an old guy and planned to pretend he is gay in a scheme) and somehow Ray manages to get him released. 

3. And why was Mickey in jail last season when Bunchy broke him out? 

4. In this episode, Mickey turns himself in as part of some deal from last season in which Bunchy gets released. I can't even recall what Bunchy did last season that Mickey turned himself in for in this episode. Was it because Bunchy helped Mickey break out and did Mickey go back because of that jail break? 

Any answers are appreciated to help bring me back up to date. 

Maybe I watch too much TV and it gets all forgotten during the long hiatuses. 

You're not alone. I feel the same way. And, I'm betting he (Mick) ain't dead now either.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

Ray Donovan, zen enforcer.  I don’t think this is going to work out.  Nice to see him try to make changes though.

Ok, I’ve tried twice to respond to your questions, @DakotaLavender and the system has eaten my reply.  I don’t know about your first 2 questions, but Mickey was most recently in jail for the murder of FBI honcho guy.  Darryl actually shot him, not knowing he was FBI, when he and Mickey were fighting.  And yes, Bunchy was in trouble for helping break Mickey out of jail.  He hit the guard with a hammer.  Mickey was surrendering himself both for the original FBI murder and I assume taking responsibility for the breakout since Bunchy was let off. 

Are we sure the Terry stuff is actually happening?  I mean, if he is hallucinating...and the lady started talking to him after Bunchy left. 

• Love 2

Say what you will,  I Love Ray Donovan and am so glad it’s returned.  Good to see Lena again too, love her.   And the brothers also.  And Aunt Sandy! You go!  Pointing  put guns  in the freezer with her Rabbit vibrator. 🤩🤩 What a COB (crusty old broad).  I wish this show could go on forever.

• Love 4
On 11/17/2019 at 5:32 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Someone named him "Not Justin Beiber" which is very apropos.

ETA: the whole crash scene with the fuel truck was totally unbelievable and idiotic. The driver has a heart attack while the truck is going at highway speed. Then it keeps coasting in a perfectly straight line, while slowing to a stop, then reverses itself and starts backwards, again in a perfectly straight line to crash and explode into the prison bus.  This is an adult drama not something dreamed from a comic book plot. Give me a fucking break.

Edited by preeya

That opening was perfect. Great refresher.

TMW the catch of the day is a decapitated head in a bowling bag.

Poor Terry, starting to hallucinate as his illness takes over.

Forget about about dead hookers or live boys, now it's blowjobs while an apparent live boy is watching. Ray is next-level on the tradecraft.

So instead of tripping out from natural causes, Terry's going the drug-induced way? With some kind of cult? Okay.

I'm sure if there's a way to escape a full-speed collusion with a gas tanker, Mickey will find it. But his supposed death leaves the Donovans et al in a worse bind. Oy.

But she's on birth control so maybe a love interest for Terry?

Terry's still got it, baby! 🙄

Ayahuasca

That's my guess. It seems to be a small fad on TV right now. This is probably the third or fourth show I've seen it used as a plot device on this year.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

kicking myself in the ass now for not re-watching S6.  I really don't know what's going on.  Who is "not Justin Beiber"?  

I think he's new.  I don't remember ever seeing him or his agent/lawyer/whoever that guy was who is also helping Bridget. 

• Love 2

I somehow think that Bridget isn't going to be able to get a divorce, not after her husband was part of the grave digging fiasco at Sandy's house last season.  You don't walk away from the Donavan's after a night like that.  You're all in now.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 11/17/2019 at 8:04 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Ayahuasca (which is certainly no milk thistle tea)

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That's my guess. It seems to be a small fad on TV right now. This is probably the third or fourth show I've seen it used as a plot device on this year.

It's been on tv a lot in the last few years. Chelsea Handler did it in 2016, Younger did it in 2017, and there was even a tv show called Kentucky Ayahuasca last year. Vomiting and diarrhea are common (hence the woman's suggestion to Terry that he pick a spot close the bathroom) so I agree that's likely what they gave Terry.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I somehow think that Bridget isn't going to be able to get a divorce, not after her husband was part of the grave digging fiasco at Sandy's house last season.  You don't walk away from the Donavan's after a night like that.  You're all in now.....

Then she'll have to be a cheater like Ray?

Even after she shamed him for cheating so much?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, scrb said:

Then she'll have to be a cheater like Ray?

Even after she shamed him for cheating so much?

yes - I think that's exactly what's going to happen.  Makes perfect sense.  If she divorces him, he can get immunity turn her and her entire family in, so she will stay in the marriage to avoid prison for all. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, preeya said:

ETA: the whole crash scene with the fuel truck was totally unbelievable and idiotic. The driver has a heart attack while the truck is going at highway speed. Then it keeps coasting in a perfectly straight line, while slowing to a stop, then reverses itself and starts backwards, again in a perfectly straight line to crash and explode into the prison bus.  This is an adult drama not something dreamed from a comic book plot. Give me a fucking break.

If you have believed enough of what transpired in seasons 1-6 then the truck crash is small potatoes.  Ray has survived almost a decade without eating or sleep.  He has been shot and thrown out of 2nd story windows.  He has tried to commit suicide.  Terry, with Parkinson's, has had the living crap beaten out of him and is still alive.  Bunchy hit (or killed) a cop with a hammer and isn't in jail.  I could go on and on.  I think we have all learned to look past stuff which is obviously not believable.  At least I have...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Dminches said:

If you have believed enough of what transpired in seasons 1-6 then the truck crash is small potatoes.  Ray has survived almost a decade without eating or sleep.  He has been shot and thrown out of 2nd story windows.  He has tried to commit suicide.  Terry, with Parkinson's, has had the living crap beaten out of him and is still alive.  Bunchy hit (or killed) a cop with a hammer and isn't in jail.  I could go on and on.  I think we have all learned to look past stuff which is obviously not believable.  At least I have...

ITA, but this was beyond believable. It totally ignored all laws of physics, gravity, and common sense.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
On 11/17/2019 at 1:28 AM, DakotaLavender said:

ETA: Basically I am asking for help in recalling the circumstances of all the many times Mickey voluntarily turned himself in and went to jail and help recalling exactly how Ray each time was able to get him out. 

I know it happened at least twice before it happened again in this episode. Mickey turned himself in and Ray managed to get him out. 

And again, why was Mickey in Walpole? 

Any replies are appreciated. 

55 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

And again, why was Mickey in Walpole?  Any replies are appreciated. 

I found this on Showtime's character bios, it just says he was released, not why he was there:

"Released from prison after a 20-year stint, Ray's neglectful and abusive father Mickey shows up in LA to get what he feels is his rightful due. A murderous low life, Mickey is nevertheless charismatic and charming. Mickey's desire to reunite with his family, and his participation in scams and scores both old and new, threatens to destroy everything Ray has built for himself. But all Mickey really wants is the love of his favorite son Ray, and that's unlikely to ever happen."

Not sure if we were ever told the reason, but something is making me think Ray framed him for the stint.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, preeya said:

I think in a way the writers were winking at the audience, with Mickey going on about the "fooh leaf clover" and then all the repeated shots of the 4-leaf clover logo and all the exchanged glances between the driver and Mickey.

They knew the scenario was bullshit but it's like they're saying "hey how else are we going to get Mickey out of prison?"

• Love 1

Smitty is an idiot. I've never liked the character. I hope Bridget dumps his ass and he leaves.

Didn't a young Ray have a girlfriend who died, possibly at his hands, and Mickey took the rap for him? I think I remember a reference to that earlier. 

I still think Season 3, specifically the last few episodes of Season 3 are the best of the series. Though it's good that Abby the shrew is gone. I do miss the Los Angeles setting. As a resident, it was great to see the geography of L.A. have such a strong presence in the first five seasons.

22 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

I still think Season 3, specifically the last few episodes of Season 3 are the best of the series. Though it's good that Abby the shrew is gone. I do miss the Los Angeles setting. As a resident, it was great to see the geography of L.A. have such a strong presence in the first five seasons.

As long as Abby is not present, I wouldn't care if they took up residence in Alaska. IMHO, she was one of my most hated characters ever.

And Smitty is a pussy.

On 11/17/2019 at 1:32 PM, mxc90 said:

This is not Sully from S1. This is billionaire mogul Kevin Sullivan (maybe related to Sully ... to be determined), he is trying to go back on a promise to Ferrati and Ray is sent in to make sure it doesn't happen.

Sully from S1 was played by James Woods.

• Love 1

I've missed you Ray.

Glad to see Lena.

I'm so old, I thought they were giving Terry straight up Peyote, but that's smoked right?

Btw, for those up thread that may have forgotten, Ray had Terry released once via Governor pardon.

I'll buy the trucking accident by throwing my disbelief out a 10 story building.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

What would truly endear me to Bridget, is if she takes Smitty out herself.

Goodness!  All that young "man" needs is a romance novel, a plate of cheese and crackers, and a few other women, to complete all of the "whine" he brings to the show.

I wanted to slap him.  But realized I couldn't reach thru my TV screen.