Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: What It Always Is

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Connie has some involvement with Daryl. 

Even then it was odd. Daryl? "Yeah Connie I know your hearing-impaired sister is missing and may be ripped apart by walkers or grabbed by those skin faces and that things are going to shit around here, but let me tell you a little story about my brother Merle and some beer..."

51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't give a damn about Kelly after she killed the boar.

I didn't give a damn about her before she killed the boar and even before I knew she was a "she".

52 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't care about Magna who was stealing supplies, and apparently murdered someone in her past, 

La-la-la - I can't hear them! But they've been together for 13 years(?) and Lady Gaga (whoever came up with that, it's a great handle!) never knew about this until now?

I just thought of this, but did Siddiq - a doctor - actually suggest hypnotism to treat cancer?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

From what I can gather, Kelly and Connie are sisters. Is that right? And Kelly is going deaf like her sister did. I guess. But frankly I've been given no reason to care whatsoever about either of them. 

I realized only yesterday that Connie!? Is a girl.  All that time I was thinking that "He" was Kelly's son.  Just to show how much I care.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I had to go to imdb.com to look up the character Alden's name. He's been a semi-regular since at least Season 8 and I still have no idea who he is. From what I can recall he was one of the captured Saviors who spent the earliest part of his stay at Hilltop in a cage with other captured Saviors. I vaguely recall he was somewhat involved with Enid. Still, here he is, and I have no idea who this guy is. They've done a crap job of developing his character and giving us some sort of back story for him. 

This little tidbit about Magna's past isn't going to cut it either. I know absolutely zilch about her, Connie or Kelly, and until today didn't even know Yumiko's name. What have they given us to make us care about any of these people? Why do they expect us to care when we know next to nothing about them?

• Love 8
12 hours ago, wrlord said:

I disagree with most people here due to this perspective: This is not a well-written show. This is not a show that's been planned in detail like Breaking Bad.  

Neegan is redeemable - and is being redeemed - because that is the Neegan that the writers are currently writing. They are not writing the Neegan who caved in the heads of Glenn and Abe or who threw people in furnaces. I am not saying Neegan has changed (though that's the easy shorthand, and that is what they'll ultimately have to say). I'm saying they're writing a different character.  Neegan is on his way to redemption because the writers have decided that is who the character they're writing is.

Same for me.  If we stop to thinking what a majority of characters did in their respective series or movies and get offended by it, we would not watch anything else besides Sesame Street...  And even there I would not be surprised if some people had some grief with Big bird or another.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, wrlord said:

Neegan is redeemable - and is being redeemed - because that is the Neegan that the writers are currently writing. They are not writing the Neegan who caved in the heads of Glenn and Abe or who threw people in furnaces.

People don't like that Negan bashed in Glenn and Abe's head, but honestly that's probably one of the more easily explainable of his actions.  He felt he had to do something like that to inspire fear in Rick's group, and Glenn and Abe weren't anybody to him.  It's harder to give a pass to the way he treated his own people, ironing their faces and taking their wives.

They always wrote Negan with a bit of a soft spot, it was just buried under all that villainy.  

By the way, if I could I would give you extra likes just for mentioning the Fantastic Four, and Reed and Ben's stint in WWII.

6 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Re: nut tapping, I totally remember 4th-5th-6th grade boys doing this in intermediate school but they got over it by junior high. I don’t remember what it was called but for sure it was a thing. 

It may be odd to us, but I have to admit I can see "nut tapping" as being something Negan would enjoy doing.  It seems very consistent with his character.

On the other hand, that kid was probably somewhere around a fourth grader.  So if that's something kids that age would do, maybe Negan was trying to relate to him on his own level.  Maybe he was relating something he and his classmates were doing when he was that age.  He was talking to him about all those experiences he had missed by growing up in the ZA, after all.  This might have just been one more of them.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, heisenberg said:

I realized only yesterday that Connie!? Is a girl.  All that time I was thinking that "He" was Kelly's son.

It's the other way around. Connie is Daryl's crush or whatever, with the notes and stuff. You thought Kelly was Connie's son. Yeah, I  know: I don't give a shit either.

10 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I'm sooooo glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know.

I still wouldn't know if someone here hadn't informed me. There are no clues to tell me, "girl."

16 minutes ago, rmontro said:

On the other hand, that kid was probably somewhere around a fourth grader.  So if that's something kids that age would do, maybe Negan was trying to relate to him on his own level. 

Yeah, maybe. It's still creepy. If I had heard my father talking to one of my little classmates about nuts and nut-tapping, I would have found it outrageous, embarrassing and weird. There are so many other things besides nuts Negan could have brought up. It's yucky.

• Love 5

I agree the whole nut tapping conversation was ridiculous. I'm not sure why the writers insist on Negan talking like a ten year old. I think they will have to keep him because he is the best actor by far on the show, and in order to do that they will have to redeem his character. There is just no way to keep him in a jail cell and still have him contribute to the story in some way. I actually liked the Negan wanna be storyline because it was something a bit different.

I really don't care about Yumiko, Kelly or Connie. It's not that I dislike the actors at all, it's just too much character overload over the years. We barely know what is going on with characters like Aaron, but spend lots of times on characters even newer than him. I feel better for King Ezekiel and hope this doesn't mean he is-leaving the show. I wish he had spoken with Carol but she has become so cold hearted she probably wouldn't care that he has cancer beyond saying she can't deal with it or something.

Still don't understand the whisperers. Why would you stay somewhere where you could be murdered at any time for any reason. And how do they keep their numbers if people are killed for being sick, getting tired, speaking or any one of Alpha's many rules. Also don't understand how/when they sleep, do they just agree that if they get sick they will be killed? How/when do they have sex since one of them had a baby? Still have an issue believing that tanned, stretched out walker faces completely protect against identifying them as human.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I agree the whole nut tapping conversation was ridiculous.

I agree also, but you have to admit it has sparked some conversation here.  Maybe the writers know what they are doing after all.  I don't follow Twitter, is there a #nut-tapping trending?

I have a vague recollection of some kid doing this to me many, many years ago.  That whipping motion with the fingers, kind of a snap slap.  Smarts.  Never heard it called nut tapping though.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

I'm not sure why the writers insist on Negan talking like a ten year old. I think they will have to keep him because he is the best actor by far on the show, and in order to do that they will have to redeem his character. 

Some actions are irredeemable by nature. Case in point: if Charles Manson had ever turned over a new leaf you wouldn't just let him out of prison to rejoin polite society. He still has to pay for his crimes. There's just no walking back from certain actions.

I understand that JDM is a very popular and charismatic actor and the show doesn't want to lose him. But asking the audience to just forgive his past and move on like it doesn't matter anymore is too big an ask IMO. A lot of main characters have committed their fair share of murders but most were in self defense and few took the delightful glee in their actions that Negan did. Those who did paid with their lives because that's what we expect from a satisfying story. The show's integrity has already been compromised enough as it is, they can't let a character like this just get a free pass because they like the actor. That's not how stories are supposed to work.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Some actions are irredeemable by nature. Case in point: if Charles Manson had ever turned over a new leaf you wouldn't just let him out of prison to rejoin polite society. He still has to pay for his crimes. There's just no walking back from certain actions.

You make a good point here.  However, you have to remember that Negan has been kept in jail ever since the war with the Saviors ended.  Yes, they let him out to labor in the garden, but that doesn't really count - inmates in prison go outside to work or exercise also.  The only times he's been out has been when he's escaped.  So he is being held accountable.  At least so far.  

So it isn't really a matter of the fans forgiving him, it's up to the citizens of the "United Cities" to decide what to do with him.  And Rick's decision was to imprison him, and that's what they have done.  You might argue that he should have received the death penalty, and you might well be right, but that wasn't the decision that was made.  

So since he's alive in the story, the writers are using him, and have included some jailbreaks toward that end.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Some actions are irredeemable by nature. Case in point: if Charles Manson had ever turned over a new leaf you wouldn't just let him out of prison to rejoin polite society.

I still agree 100% and for sure no one would let their young daughters hang out with Charlie. Tit for tat killing, survival of the fittest and all that are one thing, and no one in our group is innocent of killing. Even Glenn participated in murdering the sleeping Saviors. He was reluctant, but he did it. Maggie hung Gregory for way less heinous acts. Rick has probably killed more people than Negan, but none of our group has ever been a serial rapist or tortured people for their personal pleasure. I take Negan's redemption as a personal insult to my intelligence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I understand that JDM is a very popular and charismatic actor and the show doesn't want to lose him. But asking the audience to just forgive his past and move on like it doesn't matter anymore is too big an ask IMO. A lot of main characters have committed their fair share of murders but most were in self defense and few took the delightful glee in their actions that Negan did. Those who did paid with their lives because that's what we expect from a satisfying story. The show's integrity has already been compromised enough as it is, they can't let a character like this just get a free pass because they like the actor. That's not how stories are supposed to work.

Charles Manson was a real person though, Negan is not. In real life I would hate Negan and people like Dexter and Walter White. But somehow I just have to have a different way of looking at TV characters or I couldn’t watch any of the shows I enjoy. 

I do understand what you all are saying but I also see no point in paying the actor to sit in a cell and not talk to anyone. Of course all the bad guys should be dead but then we wouldn’t have a story left. 

• Love 8

Charles Manson was a real person though, Negan is not. In real life I would hate Negan and people like Dexter and Walter White. But somehow I just have to have a different way of looking at TV characters or I couldn’t watch any of the shows I enjoy. 

Yeah, like that sh!t eating grin Negan gave that psychopathic creep that was following him.  If it were real life, I would want to punch him in the mouth.  But since none of it is real, it's funny and makes me laugh.

I do understand what you all are saying but I also see no point in paying the actor to sit in a cell and not talk to anyone. Of course all the bad guys should be dead but then we wouldn’t have a story left. 

Most good villains have some sense of honor or reasonable motivations.  Makes them more realistic, giving them some shades of gray instead of being completely black or white.  That seems to be the case with Negan.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Even then it was odd. Daryl? "Yeah Connie I know your hearing-impaired sister is missing and may be ripped apart by walkers or grabbed by those skin faces and that things are going to shit around here, but let me tell you a little story about my brother Merle and some beer..."

I didn't give a damn about her before she killed the boar and even before I knew she was a "she".

La-la-la - I can't hear them! But they've been together for 13 years(?) and Lady Gaga (whoever came up with that, it's a great handle!) never knew about this until now?

I just thought of this, but did Siddiq - a doctor - actually suggest hypnotism to treat cancer?

That was such an ill timed story. No reason for it at the time and I hated how they had Connie grinning like crazy at Daryl's lame jokes.

Did anyone else know that Kelly was not supposed to be deaf? The whole "I'm losing my hearing" saga was news to me. I don't even know why they cast these two dissimilar women as sisters. 

The Negan story was going pretty good, but why the nut slapping storyline? I thought it was just so dang weird. I was already questioning whether the boy could even relate to an airplane then Negan starts talking school yard shenanigans to a kid who has never gone to school. Have the writers forgotten their own timeline? Yeah it was creepy but the reference was missing. He might as well have been talking about wedgies or Santa Claus. If Negan had said I'm sending you to Alexandria and you can use this technique on a complete of dorks named Gabe and Earl (is that their names?) I could understand it. Otherwise it's just the writers being obsessed with dick jokes.

I got the point of the Negan groupie. I enjoyed how Negan responded to him in each scene, but there was no subtlety to the character so I wanted him dead immediately.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 4

Well, yes we would. We would have whatever story they wrote for us. Bad guys are replaceable. And if they want them to be redeemable, they can write that story. But the Negan I saw last night wasn't even living in the same space/time continuum as the older one. He seemed very sincerely shocked and offended by the idea that he would ever harm Coral. Which... having watched every episode of this show... I can say with one hundred per cent certainty is blatantly a load of crap. But, do the writers know that it is? Which episode moments do they consider canon and which ones do they not? And how many bong hits/ twitter humps/ and/or random shiny objects will it take for them to completely change their minds anyway?

I understand your core point that if the show keeps JDM on then they will still have to write for him sometimes. But... maybe write better?

"Golly gee, Uncle Negan, I used to nut-tap myself to sleep every night, whistling the song about how you chopped off Coral's arm while surfing over a zombie shark in your zombie-shark-jumping-surfing-pants!"

"Yeah, listen, kid. None of the stories you've heard of me are anything I'm proud of..." etc, etc, etc,

might sound a little bit more convincing than

"How dare you insinuate such a thing! Coral was like a son to me, and I would never under any circumstances threaten him!" I don't know if Negan knows he's lying, and it is partially because I don't know if the writing staff know he's lying. Kind of hard to discuss a character with a problematic past, if the people writing those discussions are undecided about what that past actually was.

• Love 5

1 HOUR AGO,  ICEMISER69 SAID: 

The Whisperers admitted in this episode that they were responsible for the tree crashing into Hilltop's fence.  Exactly how did they accomplish that?  They must have cut or chopped the tree down.  People at Hilltop would have heard the noise as it was happening and that noise would have attracted Walkers before the Whisperers ever cut through it.

The Hilltop sentries have got history with the ‘Tobin incident’, common sense isn’t the show’s strong point

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

I don't know if Negan knows he's lying, and it is partially because I don't know if the writing staff know he's lying.

Now I feel like the robots on Star Trek who blew their fuses trying to follow extreme illogic.

If TPTB don't want us to remember how Negan came a split second away from Lucille-ing Carl's dome, then why put him in a conversation where he has to deny that he would EVER hurt or kill a kid when WE know damned well he would?

If Negan knows he lying, again why would TPTB want us to see him as someone who would definitely kill a kid and then vociferously deny it?

If Negan doesn't know he's lying, it's even worse because we STILL know he was going to kill Carl and this makes it sound like that moment was so trivial to him he's forgotten it. Or maybe the writers forgot it?

They really shouldn't have brought up the subject of child murder at all. The only person I believed Negan wouldn't harm was baby Judith.

What's next? "I would NEVER take advantage of any young lady! How dare you even suggest otherwise?"

10 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Charles Manson was a real person though, Negan is not.

This is true, but Negan is not performing sci-fi or supernatural crimes, like vaporizing people with ray guns or turning them into toads. His crimes - rape and torture - are all too real and happening every day and seeing writers whitewash them or insinuate that such crimes (never mind Negan. I'm just speaking of the heinous crimes themselves)are not very serious at all and should be overlooked or forgiven is what disgusts me.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Whisperers admitted in this episode that they were responsible for the tree crashing into Hilltop's fence.  Exactly how did they accomplish that?  They must have cut or chopped the tree down.

They gnawed through it like beavers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, like that sh!t eating grin Negan gave that psychopathic creep that was following him.  If it were real life, I would want to punch him in the mouth.  But since none of it is real, it's funny and makes me laugh.

I suppose, if I were to agree that Negan is redeemable, then his turnaround at not getting off on Negan Jr antics is supposed to be a major sign that he has changed, that he no longer wants to be that Negan. I suppose. Mostly.

And just why in the hell was Aaron giving nice clean gauze to Patty Dirtpile anyways? She lives in filth, was eviscerating a corpse and he thinks that is gonna show what a nice guy they all are? What have they done with formerly smart Aaron?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Was Gamma dumping walker guts into the water to contaminate hilltop's water? And did she cross the border to do it? What I mean is, was Aaron on his side of the land or the whisperers side?

I'm liking Daryl and Connie a lot but I agree that was the absolute wrong time to tell a Merle story. I get why he did it. He was trying to take her mind off her worry but her being deaf made the scene not work at all. It would be different if they were walking and searching and Daryl told this story to distract her while they were walking and searching but the fact that she can't hear and so had to stop to half read lips, half read his rudimentary signing and half read notes was just not realistic. 

• Love 7

Are the guts from one walker really enough to poison the whole river? 'Cause, we've seen lots of them get killed in the water before. Plus, is Alpha down with this plan? And if so, why? Was Lydia vaccinated against walker-gut cooties? That would... actually make as much sense as anything else on this show.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

What have they done with formerly smart Aaron?

For a while, I liked him best. He didn't used to monologue or act like an idiot, just did what was needed and made sense. For some time now he's been portrayed as a stupid buffoon, crying and falling and doing really dumb shit like wandering aimlessly in the forest and baring his soul to Negan(!!). I have no trouble believing he'll fall for any scam the Whisperers care to pull on him and will be suckered in with no problem.

1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

Either that or Beta is so strong he pushes down trees, and can only be stopped by a precisely targeted nut-tap from Kindly Uncle Negan.

😂 He's the Incredible Hulk.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I think that Jack must have used his ‘Magic Beans’  to plant that tree, apologies, it’s been a slow day 😴

7F6D4B95-F2AF-49DC-8C01-D04AC7E06C61.jpeg

Bahahahah! Tree of Plot Contrivance!

14 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Are the guts from one walker really enough to poison the whole river? 'Cause, we've seen lots of them get killed in the water before. Plus, is Alpha down with this plan? And if so, why? Was Lydia vaccinated against walker-gut cooties? That would... actually make as much sense as anything else on this show.

Tainted water just doesn't have the same punch as TAINTED MEAT!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

If it is, one would think they’d have to be constantly patrolling any water sources to make sure they’re clean.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2019 at 10:31 AM, Lamima said:

Do people really call it nut tapping? I never heard that before last night. Heard of being punched in the nuts. Or kicked in the balls...and such. But nut tapping....that's a new one.

To add to the list, I've heard "bag tagging." 

• Love 1

Doesn’t that look like a nice straight saw cut?  I thought Alden was supposed to be some sort of carpenter, if neither he or Earl can’t tell cuts and axe marks from a natural event then they are in trouble.

0E773116-954C-442A-922F-83640AC28DAE.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

The Negan stuff was actually not as annoying as it could have been...and then that batshit insane nut slapping started and it was just downhill from there. Sure thats probably a thing, I am sure that boys in my middle school would have done stupid crap like that, but seeing an adult teach a kid that just seemed so icky. The were actually having a kind of nice and even deep moment about how kids have no memories now of the time before the ZA, which even tied in nicely to Ezekiel getting sick and him talking about how easily his cancer would be treated in the time before, and then it was all ruined because the writers on this show are convinced that piss and nuts and farts are totally what we all want to see more of on this show. Plus the absolute creepiness of a grown ass man talking to a kid he just met about dicks and grabbing them, which is always going to be messed up, ZA or not. 

The shows attempts are redeeming Negan are too little too late for me. It all just reeks of show runners and writers who fell in love with the character and dont want to get rid of him, even though his narrative shelf life has long since ran out. They so desperately want us to forget about how awful Negan was or the terrible unforgivable things that he did, but its REALLY hard to do! Its impossible for me to forget what he did to Glenn or Abe or the women he raped, and what was that crap about him not killing kids? Did we forget that he had every male in Oceanside killed, including the kids? Do they think we would all just forget?! Because I most certainly did not.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

show are convinced that piss and nuts and farts are totally what we all want to see more of on this show.

Funny, I was just thinking about that (yes, that is how far I've fallen) and I don't believe we've heard any fart jokes from Negan, have we? Shit, piss, dicks, nutsacks and penis, but no farts. Writers, you are letting us down.

10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Did we forget that he had every male in Oceanside killed, including the kids?

IIRC, Simon did that and Negan, aghast, denied any knowledge of that slaughter. Yeah, right. I think that's when we were supposed to start thinking maybe he's not so bad after all. 🙄

• Love 4

The show made a point of telling us during the latter part of the Savior war that it was actually Simon, not Negan, who had the male kids at Oceanside killed when they wiped out the rest of the men and that Negan hadn't been at all happy about it when he found out.  That should have been our first big clue that the redemption bus was a comin.'

Like a lot of people, Negan has a selective relationship with the truth.  After Carl died he was blubbering about how much he liked Carl, Carl was the future, he would never, blah blah blah as if his people hadn't been actively bombing Carl's home over his head as he lay dying.  As if he hadn't once been on the verge of forcing Rick to cut Carl's hand off or wasn't conveniently interrupted by a tiger before he could take a home-run swing at Carl's head.  It's only dumb luck that Negan or his people didn't kill him.  But it's been awhile now and many of the people who were in a position to know what really happened are dead, so in his mind it becomes very easy for him to insist that he would never and probably believe it to be true. 

I do kind of like that the mere rumor that he killed Carl was enough to get his hackles up, even if it's another one of those things that falls apart if you think very hard about it.  Brandon has presumably lived at Alexandria all these years since around members of Carl's family who surely know full well how he died.  He was probably around Judith's age when all that went down and should have some memory of it for himself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Ah yes, the good old "but Negan didnt kill those people in particular, so its all good!" style of writing. The bucks stops...somewhere over there! I think that, if they are so committed to Negan, that him running into a Negan fanboy wasnt the worst idea. He could see how awful the Saviors were from the other side, and see that not only did he personally hurt people, but he created a society that didnt value human life, and was so toxic and dangerous that not even he could control it. When everyone is Negan, does that mean he is also responsible for every atrocity that commit? Yeah it was Simon who killed everyone at Oceanside (I had forgotten about that!) but Negan was the one who gave him the power to carry that slaughter out, Negan was the one who created such a violent and cruel society where one of his men would think that that was an appropriate solution to a problem. So while he didnt want the Negan fanboy to kill the mom and kid (and even told him specifically not to and tried to get rid of him) it was because of the cult of personality that he built up that this kid did this, and while the kid made his own choices, he cant be a coincidence that his last words were one last "I am Negan!" before he beat him to death. If they do something with all of this, and have it really hit that not only did he personally do horrible things, but he also gave other people license to do even worse things in his name, it could at least be a somewhat decent story, if they insist on keeping him around.

I mean, there is some decent stuff here about personal responsibility here when it comes to redemption, but I dont know how much will actually be explored.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I believe Negan told Brandon "I don't kill kids." Remember when he had our trusty group of Alexandrians lined up on their knees prior to killing Abraham and Glenn, he instructed his minions to "take out the kid's other eye and feed it to his father" if anyone balked or tried to interfere. Then there was the whole having Rick cut off Carl's hand threat. But hey, that's just maiming, not killing. Potato, potahto.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

If you cut the tree straight, you have no control in what direction it will fall in.   If  it is cut so that it falls in the direction of the Hilltop fence, then no one can call it an accident.

When I said straight, I meant in a straight line, whether horizontal or at an angle, either way it would be proof that foul play was at work, a natural break would be obvious to even the dumbest hilltop resident.

4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Negan doesn't kill kids! New Rule.

Oops

And brave old Rick knelt there and did nothing to save his son, thank heavens for a CGI Tiger! 🦁

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I followed instructions and scrolled to "Themes" but "Dark" is not an option there. I need the dark one and have asked about this.

1 minute ago, OoohMaggie said:

Same here, just a choice of IPS or light.

Ditto.  The light hurts my eyes!

• Love 1