Type keyword(s) to search

HOTD In The Media: News From The Citadel

• Start Topic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50229837

https://deadline.com/2019/10/game-of-thrones-new-series-house-of-the-dragons-targaryen-hbo-max-greenlight-1202771886/

Cable channel HBO has given the go-ahead for a prequel series to the hit fantasy TV show Game of Thrones.

House of the Dragon will be set about 300 years before events in the original series, which ended its eight-season run earlier this year.

The announcement came hours after another planned prequel, due to star Naomi Watts, was reportedly cancelled.

Game of Thrones was HBO's most popular series. It won multiple Emmy awards and drew tens of millions of viewers.

"It's my pleasure to announce today that we are ordering House of the Dragon straight to series for HBO," said Casey Bloys, president of HBO programming, at a launch event in Los Angeles for the HBO Max streaming platform.

"It tells the story of House Targaryen and the early days of Westeros."

House of the Dragon, which had stopped production due to COVID-19 concerns on set, has resumed filming after a two day shutdown. Filming of the series, is primarily taking place in the UK, and they also expected to film in Spain and California.

• Useful 1

Quick cast check:

Paddy Considine as King Viserys Targaryen. Viserys was chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen, at the Great Council at Harrenhal. A warm, kind, and decent man, Viserys only wishes to carry forward his grandfather's legacy, but as we've learned from Game of Thrones, good men do not necessarily make for great kings.

Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower. She's the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen.

Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen. The king's first-born child. She is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything... but she was not born a man.

Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen. The younger brother of King Viserys and heir to the throne, Daemon is a peerless warrior and a dragonrider who possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air...

Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon aka "The Sea Snake." The lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian bloodline as old as House Targaryen, "The Sea Snake," is the most famed nautical adventurer in the history of Westeros. He built his house into a powerful seat that is even richer than the Lannisters and that claims the largest navy in the world.

Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon. A dragonrider and wife to Lord Corlys Velaryon, "The Queen Who Never Was" was passed over as heir to the throne at the Great Council because the realm favored her cousin, Viserys, simply for being male.

Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, who loyally and faithfully serves both his king and his realm. As the Hand sees it, the greatest threat to the realm is the king's brother, Daemon, and his position as heir to the throne.

Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria. She came to Westeros with nothing, sold more times than she can recall, and could have wilted...but instead she rose to become the most trusted - and most unlikely - ally of Prince Daemon Targaryen, the heir to the throne.

Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole. Of Dornish descent, Ser Criston is the common-born son of the steward to the Lord of Blackhaven. He has no claim to land or titles; all he has to his name is his honor and his preternatural skill with a sword.

Milly Alcock as Young Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen. She's the king's first-born child, of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything...but she was not born a man.

Emily Carey will play Young Alicent Hightower, the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. Alicent was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen.

Ryan Corr as Ser Harwin 'Breakbones' Strong. Harwin is said to be the strongest man in the Seven Kingdoms. Ser Harwin is the eldest son to Master of Laws Lyonel Strong and heir to Harrenhal.

Jefferson Hall is Lord Jason Lannister, the Lord of Casterly Rock and twin to Ser Tyland Lannister. He also. plays Tyland Lannister, a crafty and calculating politician, twin to Lord Jason Lannister.

David Horovitch as Grand Maester Mellos. He's a voice of reason and trusted advisor to King Viserys.

Graham McTavish as Ser Harrold Westerling. Ser Harrold has served in the Kingsguard since the days of King Jaehaerys; he is a paragon of chivalry and honor.

Matthew Needham as Larys Strong. The younger son of Master of Laws Lyonel Strong, he's brought to court by his father.

Bill Paterson plays Lord Lyman Beesbury, the Lord of Honeyholt and Master of Coin on King Viserys's small council.

Gavin Spokes is Lord Lyonel Strong. He's Master of Laws to King Viserys and Lord of Harrenhal.

There will also be around 17 dragons of various colors with very distinct personalities.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Well, I had no plans to watch any further GOT content until I saw this teaser trailer.  I was one of the viewers who was so disgusted with the final season and the ending that I lost all interest in this universe.  But now that I have learned that D&D are not involved in this production and that the series is based on written material that has  an ending I will give this a chance. Seeing Matt Smith in the cast clinched it for me. Wikipedia has told me he is playing a very interesting character.

The teaser show cased high production values and does exactly what a teaser trailer should do.

• Love 9
On 10/6/2021 at 2:57 AM, magdalene said:

Well, I had no plans to watch any further GOT content until I saw this teaser trailer.  I was one of the viewers who was so disgusted with the final season and the ending that I lost all interest in this universe.  But now that I have learned that D&D are not involved in this production and that the series is based on written material that has  an ending I will give this a chance. Seeing Matt Smith in the cast clinched it for me. Wikipedia has told me he is playing a very interesting character.

The teaser show cased high production values and does exactly what a teaser trailer should do.

As long as those two fucking IDIOTS aren't involved, I will give it a shot. It's not HBO's fault those two fucking IDIOTS threw away multiple seasons of goodwill.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I kept scouring this article over and over thinking somewhere in there it was going to mention the release date of "The Winds of Winter".... oh wait.  It's already been set as "NEVER".  Enjoy your money George RR Martin.  As always, thanks a bunch for abandoning the readers that got you there.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, CeeBeeGee said:
On 10/5/2021 at 11:57 PM, magdalene said:

As long as those two fucking IDIOTS aren't involved, I will give it a shot. It's not HBO's fault those two fucking IDIOTS threw away multiple seasons of goodwill.

Yes to most of the above, with the exception of the production value. When I saw this preview on my TV the other day, all I could think of was that the cinematography doesn't look half as lush as GoTs was, which is what pulled me in all those years ago...before I knew that the showrunners were two egotestical (no, it's not a spelling error) twats who had zero ability nor interest in seeing GoTs through to the end in a manor befitting that tale. I'm glad they're not around to fuck up this effort, but I hope I'm wrong about the cinematography.

• Love 1

I'll give it a whirl since D&D aren't involved, but I'm concerned it will be dragons, battles and fighting among the 1% with little regard for how their behavior affects everyone else.

I hope Matt Smith surprises me since I find him as imposing and charismatic as dishwashing liquid.

Based on the trailer it looks as if everything conveniently takes place during summer, even though I've heard since forever that Westeros has winters that last for years.

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

• LOL 3
17 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Based on the trailer it looks as if everything conveniently takes place during summer, even though I've heard since forever that Westeros has winters that last for years.

As do the summers. 😉

• Love 7

Visual Cast Check:

The Royal Family

King Viserys Targaryen
Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. First of His Name. 

FR8cyajXMAICw6e?format=jpg&name=large
Prince Daemon Targaryen
King Viserys Targaryen's younger brother.

FR8ciU2XIAQLeOr?format=jpg&name=large

Rhaenys Targaryen/Princess Rhaenys Velaryon
The Queen Who Never Was. Sister of King Viserys Targaryen. Wife of Lord Corlys Velaryon.

FR8dcatWYAAQJdC?format=jpg&name=large
Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
Eldest child of King Viserys Targaryen.

FR8bjlHX0AgJgth?format=jpg&name=large

• Useful 3

Visual Cast Check:

Lord Corlys Velaryon
The Sea Snake.

FR8dSfQX0AADG_g?format=jpg&name=large

Otto Hightower
Hand of the King.

FR8c9wvWUAMqCJ1?format=jpg&name=large

Alicent Hightower
Daughter of Hand of the King.

FR8dH_SXEAIDbr8?format=jpg&name=large

Criston Cole
Knight of the Kingsguard.

FR8dlg6WQAE9mcF?format=jpg&name=medium

Mysaria
Confidante to Prince Daemon Targaryen.

FR8dvBcWUAA57Po?format=jpg&name=large

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2022 at 11:21 PM, AnimeMania said:

Rhaenys Targaryen/Princess Rhaenys Velaryon
The Queen Who Never Was. Sister of King Viserys Targaryen. Wife of Lord Corlys Velaryon.

Unless the TV show plays around with the genealogy, Rhaenys is Viserys's cousin, not his sister.

• Like 3

HBO is releasing "The Official Game of Thrones Podcast: House of the Dragon" as a weekly podcast starting on August 3rd to get people up to speed on the history of Westeros' many houses, characters, and kingdoms before the show airs on August 21.  Hosted by Jason Concepcion and Greta Johnsen.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

They showed the first episode for online reviewers. The review embargo is still on so only general reactions no spoilers.  Raves and lots of praise for Matt Smith.  He nails the "larger than life" Daemon. Lots of swagger. 

Good. They have to get this character right, considering Daemon is GRRM's favorite Targ and 

Spoiler

he goes all the way to the (mostly bitter) end.

• Love 4
On 7/28/2022 at 5:00 PM, magdalene said:

They showed the first episode for online reviewers. The review embargo is still on so only general reactions no spoilers.  Raves and lots of praise for Matt Smith.  He nails the "larger than life" Daemon. Lots of swagger. 

Good. They have to get this character right, considering Daemon is GRRM's favorite Targ and 

Reveal spoiler

he goes all the way to the (mostly bitter) end.

As a Matt Smith fan, that makes me happy. I'm glad to see other fandoms are appreciating him! I'm not big into GOT and the only character I had kind of liked got shafted in the end, but I will watch this for Matty.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 5:01 PM, AnimeMania said:

Quick cast check:

Thanks for this. I’ve copied it for future reference. I’m good with faces but pathetic with names. I’m lost when they refer to characters by name. I know what most of these actors looks like so it will be very helpful. Is there a wiki for HOTD? When they start rattling off names, I generally dash over to the wiki to see the faces. 😄

• Love 1
On 6/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Constantinople said:

Unless the TV show plays around with the genealogy, Rhaenys is Viserys's cousin, not his sister.

An article I read about the show did say cousin not sister. 

I try to give new shows the benefit of the doubt. Remakes, shows from the same universe but with a different story, spinoffs, etc.

You never know how it's going to turn out. Could they be a big fail? Sure, but completely new shows with new premises and exciting PR campaigns have miserably failed too, and some spinoffs and remakes have been successful (or at least enjoyable to me) so, it's all a crapshoot, really.

These are different showrunners with a finished source material, so, right off the bat the situation is different. I don't know if Sapochnik will be a good showrunner, but I can't fault any of his direction on the show before. In fact, his episodes were some of the most memorable of GOT.

Martin will supposedly be more involved, and I think that will be a good thing. I don't like the fact that he hasn't finished ASOIAF yet, and I don't like the fact that his last two books in the series have, IMO, meandered quite a bit with characters and plots that take too long to accomplish their literary purpose, and extremely long, many times unnecessary, world building (geography, food descriptions, etc.). But, he is a good writer  overall, and can create compelling characters and stories, so, I think his involvement may be a very positive thing. On the other hand, it will probably distract him from finishing TWOW, which is frustrating, but, if it wasn't this project, it would probably be some other project that distracts him from finishing. I don't think his issue is a lack of time, it's an apparent lack of motivation, for whatever reason, to just sit down and write the ending of this particular story.

In any case, the promos look good and the reviews are positive, so, I'll give it a chance.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

As long as Otto Hightower, Alicent Hightower(Cersei Vol.2.0) and Criston Cole end up like the book I will be mostly satisfied.  I ended up rooting for the Blacks while reading the story. Hopefully having GRRM so much involved means his own story won't be sabotaged. It would really be pathetic if I end up loathing this series too at the end.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

As long as Otto Hightower, Alicent Hightower(Cersei Vol.2.0) and Criston Cole end up like the book I will be mostly satisfied.  I ended up rooting for the Blacks while reading the story. Hopefully having GRRM so much involved means his own story won't be sabotaged. It would really be pathetic if I end up loathing this series too at the end.

All of the media I've seen so far -- interviews with the show runners, writers, GRRM and the actors; articles, etc. -- have made a point of saying 

Spoiler

this isn't a story of good vs. evil.

As for Alicent Hightower

Spoiler

She didn't have a bastard son named Joffrey, unlike Rhaenyra

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Shrugs. I have my likes and dislikes and the Hightowers are the usurpers to me. And while Alicent Hightower 

Spoiler

gets off far too easy - she should have suffered a lot more - I can hope she had no peace in her final days.  Considering what her spawn did to the rightful queen. The real Targ queen.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, SilverStormm said:

Team Black! Down with the Greens, they stink like something stinky that stinks. 

Grins. Here, here!  Starting with the touched by human kindness Otto Hightower, followed closely by his daughter and her assorted spawn. Not to forget Criston Cole, Mr.Congeliality. Lets hope this show lasts long enough to get me some satisfaction.

• Wink 2
11 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Team Black! Down with the Greens, they stink like something stinky that stinks. 

Green is the color of trees, plants and grasses, the color of life.

Black is the color of The Long Night.

And you know what they say

Spoiler

You can root for the side that believes truth should be a crime, but murder and high treason shouldn't be.

You can root for the side that wants to stamp out the barest glimmer of the possibility of the start of of a constitutional monarchy.

You can root for the side that sets up political show trials to judicially murder their opponents for the "regicide" of someone they consider is a usurper.

Or you can root for the Greens.

As for the outrageous prejudice against Ser Otto and his daughter Alicent, Hightowerism is the last socially acceptable ism. 

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Green is the color of trees, plants and grasses, the color of life.

Black is the color of The Long Night.

And you know what they say

Reveal spoiler

Or you can root for the Greens.

As for the outrageous prejudice against Ser Otto and his daughter Alicent, Hightowerism is the last socially acceptable ism. 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I see the post but all I read is

tenor.gif?itemid=4517955&f=1&nofb=1

tumblr_n5sbirH03Z1rxl8dqo1_500.gif&f=1&n

Spoiler

Yes, I'm 12, hee 😉

tumblr_mpn495tFMX1sobyjzo1_400.gif&f=1&n

• LOL 6