10 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I see the post but all I read is

tenor.gif?itemid=4517955&f=1&nofb=1

tumblr_n5sbirH03Z1rxl8dqo1_500.gif&f=1&n

Reveal spoiler

Yes, I'm 12, hee 😉

tumblr_mpn495tFMX1sobyjzo1_400.gif&f=1&n

I want Matty to have a win. Also, the Hightowers have cooties. I don't know exactly what that is, but hey, it sounds unpleasant.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

NY Times  reviews the series based on the first six episodes. Very lukewarm, missing the magic of Game of Thrones:

(may be paywalled)

House Of The Dragon Review

LOL, I remember them being luke warm on the early GOT too, disregards. It could be my taste then, I never agree with them on anything. In general I really only rely on opinions and reviews that align with my tastes. My own opinion is going to be what counts for me. Always remember that professional reviewers have their biases and their thoughts don't count any more than your own do. Now, if most or all reviewers hate something......that's different. It's almost here. I am almost excited.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I think new shows can often be slow starters as the first few episodes have to do the heavy lifting in terms of world and character building as fast as possible, so can end up being exposition heavy.

I rarely - tbh, pretty much never - give any weight to professional reviews (meh) as they've historically looked down their noses at fantasy genre shows (much like their literary counterparts). Just because some of them eventually jumped on the GOT bandwagon at one point doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly value or respect their opinions.

Not to mention, I uber rarely like any Oscar winning films; suffice to say it appears that my tastes and those of industry critics almost never align. Which is just fine and dandy with me, I don't require their seal of approval or validation to determine my enjoyment of films & tv. ^shrug^

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Just because some of them eventually jumped on the GOT bandwagon at one point doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly value or respect their opinions.

That's excactly what the New York Times did - I remember their review - they were all "fantasy crap hoity toity. Blah, blah, blah. And then when the show caught the Zeitgeist it was all of a sudden the best thing since sliced bread. How can you respect them?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Slate review suggests that HoTD didn't get the good parts of GoT, got the bad parts, the final episodes.

In other words, House of the Dragon’s response to the backlash that greeted Game of Thrones’ final seasons seems to have been, somewhat inexplicably, to double down. Some of that negative response might have been from people who enjoyed the show without really paying attention to what they were watching—if you named your daughter Daenerys, that’s on you. But at least some of it had to with a turn towards grim determinism, with the characters behaving in atrocious ways mainly because the plot required them to. Martin’s readers will know much of what happens next in House of the Dragon, a lengthy war of succession chronicled in his book Fire & Blood, and—spoiler alert—very little of it is pleasant. So instead of starting with noble characters whose intentions are slowly bent towards the unspeakable, the new series begins with them terrible, and evidently expects people to stick around to find out just how much.

It’s been 11 years since Game of Thrones’ premiere, and 26 since George R.R. Martin’s original novel was published. And while House of the Dragon is set in the past, the show exists in the present, in a world where simply appearing on HBO at 9 p.m. on Sunday nights isn’t enough to command an audience’s attention. If all you want is more Game of Thrones, then House of the Dragon might well be the Show That Was Promised. But if you’re looking for a show that is to the current TV landscape what Game of Thrones was then, well, there’s a long winter ahead.

Read in Slate: https://apple.news/Aih8B3vfyTj6j7Dorbsr7Ew

I will watch of course but it sounds like they don't have anything like the Stark children, who won you over instantly in the pilot.

The review also alludes to another spinoff pilot which HBO scrapped and chose HoTD instead.

Maybe the other pilot didn't have as many dragons.  If that was the criteria HBO execs used, they didn't get what made GoT so appealing.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, aghst said:

The review also alludes to another spinoff pilot which HBO scrapped and chose HoTD instead.

HBO is working on multiple spinoffs for the show. It's not that they "chose" this over the Naomi Watts prequel Bloodmoon. HBO wants to have as many spinoff shows on the air as possible, but are choosing the ones they believe will work. I was disappointed about the axing of Bloodmoon - the sets were reportedly out of this world - but I can see where there would have been issues. GRRM warned, for instance, that there was virtually no source material for the show and much would have to be invented, but HBO went ahead and tried to develop the idea anyway. The ultimate reason given for not going ahead was it lacked the depth and richness of GoT, which isn't surprising given the lack of source material. It was set thousands of years in the past, so everything would have had to be invented basically from scratch, and it sounds like the writers just didn't succeed in building things out.

HotD was an easy and obvious greenlight because it's very similar to GoT - the politicking, scheming, the game of thrones, which were among the most popular aspects of GoT. The other spinoff shows under consideration are rather different in nature.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

That review is as sneering as most were regarding GOT's first season, pfft.

If you enjoyed the political machinations, the intrigue, the backstabbing, the 'Littlefingering' if you will, and if you enjoyed dragons and battles and dragon-battles - you will enjoy HOTD is all I have to say. 

If you're looking for magick and feelgood tv, look elsewhere. This story takes no prisoners.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, magdalene said:

Here are the details, wow, already 20 Million viewers in the US in a few days...

In Canada, it crashed the Crave site (platform for HBO in Canada). Angry tweets were flying on Twitter. 

Edited by ferjy
Auto-Incorrect was trying to help.
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, ferjy said:
22 hours ago, magdalene said:

Here are the details, wow, already 20 Million viewers in the US in a few days...

In Canada, it crashed the Crave site (platform for HBO in Canada)

That's so on brand for HBO, lol.

• LOL 1

If you enjoy the costumes, you may like 'Costume CO' a YouTube channel dedicated to discussing costumes of various television shows, including House of the Dragon and Game of Thrones.

She's already done a number of videos based on trailers. Here is her first impressions after watching the first HotD episode.

She also has a weekly livestream, but I don't have the patience for that or for any livestream on Youtube about HotD/GoT .

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

From the NYT recap of Episode 4

Otto is a manipulative dirtbag, but as a journalist, I admire how he protects his sources.

I actually LOL'd.

And

Rhys Ifans, who first won wide notice as a goofball roommate in “Notting Hill,” has been highly enjoyable as the Machiavellian Otto. He is a fantastic face actor — you could see the moment the soon to be ex-Hand realized his plan had backfired. “Your grace” is to Otto what “Hodor” was to Hodor: an expression of infinite meanings and varieties of inflection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/11/arts/television/house-of-the-dragon-recap-episode-4.html

• Love 4

Interview with Matt Smith from Jimmy Fallon with a clip from tomorrows episode starting at 6:24.

A royal wedding in Westeros, what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by LanceM
  • Thanks 1

I guess there are a handful of other spin offs in the works, I knew this, but I didn't know that one of them was about the Sea Snake....and honestly that makes no sense to me since he is in HOTD....I would've rather they went forward with the Long Night Spin off they canceled.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, LanceM said:

HBO released 13 still photos for next episode. SPOILER WARNING do not click if you don’t want to know who the new characters are and how they are connected to the current characters. And as always avoid the comment section.

https://watchersonthewall.com/house-dragon-episode-6-photos/

Spoiler

Wow, Daemon's wife and daughters are gorgeous. I can't wrap my head around Daemon as a daddy.  Or as a husband in a dare I say affectionate marriage.  I know from the book this is canon but reading it is one thing. Seeing it play out after the Daemon we encountered for the first 5 episodes - it kind of makes your head spin.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, magdalene said:
  Hide contents

Wow, Daemon's wife and daughters are gorgeous. I can't wrap my head around Daemon as a daddy.  Or as a husband in a dare I say affectionate marriage.  I know from the book this is canon but reading it is one thing. Seeing it play out after the Daemon we encountered for the first 5 episodes - it kind of makes your head spin.

Spoiler

Yeah this is what I am looking forward to the most is people’s reactions to family man Daddy Daemon. Also you just know the little girl they cast as Heleana is going to be the sweetest most innocent person ever.

• Like 3

Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan talked about how different from GoT that HotD has been so far.

In the book apparently Harwin was a relatively significant character.  Not as significant as Raynera or Damon of course but HoTD show has basically relegated him to a red shirt, introduced and then dead within a couple of episodes.  The time jumps don't give them a chance to draw out these secondary characters.

The other thing is, all you see is what's happening upstairs, the royalty and nobility.  No depiction of life for the people downstairs, which GoT delved into.  Sure Damon and then that one time Raynera slummed it with the hoi polloi of Westeros.  In fact the Inside the Episode talked up about how the common folk live differently and come out at night, how they took over some remote village in Spain or Portugal to depict Damon and Raynera's adventures in the dark underbelly of the capital of the Seven Kingdoms.

Now that they've introduced the grandchildren, maybe there won't be enough airtime for anyone else than the cousins and their parents?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3