Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

I thought it was a rather boring finale.  And, yet again, Ross goes off and leaves Demelza, who is, yet again, pregnant.

One thing that confused me was when Dwight made reference to a past indiscretion when talking to Caroline.  Granted, I haven't watched every episode so I wonder who the other woman was.

Oh well, I'm glad that Drake and Morwenna had a happy ending.  Happy for his brother, too.  

Oh, and it was also nice that George saved Ross' behind.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

I figured George would come through somehow, but it's nice it didn't soften him completely. Hee. And I applaud Valentine's continued unintentional needling of George by always championing Uncle Ross.

So Valentine stayed in Cornwall? Is that why George asked Ross and Demelza not to let him visit?

Things ended with someting of a thunk, IMO.

• Love 5

I feel like the finale episode was rushed- like they tried to cram 3 episodes into one.

Glad for the happy ending.  Now I want to go back and watch the series all over again- if I can find the unedited versions.  

But if they decide to make more seasons, I won't be watching.  Especially if they jump to The Stranger that Came Ashore (or whatever the book is called).

• Love 3

One thing that confused me was when Dwight made reference to a past indiscretion when talking to Caroline.  Granted, I haven't watched every episode so I wonder who the other woman was.

I believe that was in reference to the former actress (Karen) he had an affair with before he met Caroline. She was from the traveling troop of players that came to Nampara. She stayed behind, married a local miner -- unadvisedly -- and then immediately regretted it, starting up an affair with Dwight.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

It was from season 1. An actress stayed in the village after marrying one of the locals and quickly became more enchanted with the handsome doctor than her husband. Things . . . ended badly. 

Just now, Nidratime said:

I believe that was in reference to the former actress (Karen) he had an affair with before he met Caroline. She was from the traveling troop of players that came to Nampara. She stayed behind, married a local miner -- unadvisedly -- and then immediately regretted it, starting up an affair with Dwight.

We just cross-posted! LOL 

• Love 2

I am going to miss this show, even if it annoyed me at times.

Special shout outs to photography/ cinematography, music, and location scouting . That final shot was awesome.

I do think this episode was rushed and some of the plot points could have happened earlier in the season, rather than giving Ned so much time. Ross/Tess seemed to come from out of the blue, for example. 

I liked George coming through in the end and also his request to Ross to let go of Valentine. That final view of Elizabeth was moving. I would have loved to hear that’s george was publicly lauded as the hero in the situation—the irony of that would have been funny.

I thought the duel was a little ridiculous but I can live with it.

I was furious with Ross for dragging Drake into the risky plot while his wife was 9 months pregnant.

I thought the Dwight/Caroline rapprochement was well done. Especially well acted by Gabriella Wilde IMO.

I am glad that Geoffrey Charles didn’t get a pat happy ending. This was realistic yet hopeful. I do wish more was done to emphasize that he and Valentine are brothers. And what about Ursula? She’s been forgotten

Ross’s plan was absurd. To rely on a sole rider to relay the invasion info was risky. He could have planned it with that man who subsequently sent him on the mission—that would have made more sense.

Edited by nara
Corrected name
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

It was from season 1. An actress stayed in the village after marrying one of the locals and quickly became more enchanted with the handsome doctor than her husband. Things . . . ended badly. 

Ok, thanks.  I missed several Season 1 episodes. 

I forgot to add that I was disappointed that Tess apparently got off with no consequences, other than being duped by Ross.  And Demelza had the nerve to still feel sorry for her because she got duped.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

A so-so finale. I know people confirmed it was only going to be an hour, but i'm still kinda surprised it didn't get a bit of a bigger send off (like an hour and a half or something).

• So it was confirmed that cecily ran off with kitty, right? I'm still confused about that whole situation. It wasn't handled very well at all.
  • At least the evil bros got their comeuppance. If only tess got what she deserved.
  • I'm still trying to figure out if demelza's iq was on par or worse than it was last season. 
  • Speaking of iq's...why would dwight let caroline know of the secret shenanigans??? That's not something he should have shared wih her. And then of course she blabs to demelza about it. ???? Dumb.
  • Also...what on earth is caroline talking about with this 'past indiscretion'  of dwight's???? When??? With who? I have no recollection of him ever having interest in with someone else's wife. ?????
  • GEORGE FOR THE WIN!!!!! 
  • so they end the show with ross ditching demelza for at least 9 months or longer, and dwight will eventually be ditching caroline for a while too? Okay i guess.
  • One last slow motion scene.

Overall thoughts on season 5:

• Despite some general complaints (dumb demelza, ned overstaying his welcome by about 2 episodes and the grating tess plot), caroline's jealousy...i actually really enjoyed this season despite it basically being all made up i guess.
  • I thought last season was awful: the mention and squabbles over teeny bopper poet hugh (or however it was spelled- i don't care at this point) and elizabeth almost every episode, what seemed like a mandatory one per episode requirement of ross/demelza bed scenes and random slow motion shots, ross being out of control, demelza's london dumbness, etc...
  • ...all of which I thought season 5 improved upon (except the demelza stuff). We got minimal bed scenes and slow motion shots which i appreciated and we hardly had to listen to ross give a passionate speech too. It was really nice seeing him have to be the one keeping his cool thru the ned stuff.
  • George also wasn't mustache twirling the entire season which was also a nice change of pace.
  • Merceron and hanson were really great villains imo.

Sorry that this is a bit of a rambly mess but i'm still collecting my thoughts as i'm typing this. 😛

But yeah, season 5 > season 4 by a long shot so it's a bit disappointing that the finale didn't have a bit more oomph to it.

*reading the dwight comments: maybe. I need to go back and rewatch season 1 bc i only now barely recall such a plot

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I'm still trying to figure out if demelza's iq was on par or worse than it was last season. 

This cracked me up!

I'm beginning to think that, while Ross does love Demelza, he just can't stay with her too long because he gets bored and has to get away for some excitement.   I think the same thing goes for Dwight with Caroline.   

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 8

Overall series MVPs: Dwight Enys for having the most common sense (though the bar is low) and Aunt Agatha (for laughs).

Actually, on a side note, this decade has been a good one for older white ladies: Aunt Agatha, Dowager Countess of Grantham on Downton Abbey, Helen’s mom on The Affair, Judi Dench as M, the cast of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, etc....

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, nara said:

Overall series MVPs: Dwight Enys for having the most common sense (though the bar is low) and Aunt Agatha (for laughs).

Actually, on a side note, this decade has been a good one for older white ladies: Aunt Agatha, Dowager Countess of Grantham on Downton Abbey, Helen’s mom on The Affair, Judi Dench as M, the cast of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, etc....

Nana Poldark ftw!!! The greatest thing to come out this show, imo.

I only wish she could have joined ghost elizabeth in haunting george this season. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

A so-so finale. I know people confirmed it was only going to be an hour, but i'm still kinda surprised it didn't get a bit of a bigger send off (like an hour and a half or something).

• So it was confirmed that cecily ran off with kitty, right? I'm still confused about that whole situation. It was handled very well at all.
  • At least the evil bros got their comeuppance. If only tess got what she deserved.
  • I'm still trying to figure out if demelza's iq was on par or worse than it was last season. 
  • Speaking of iq's...why would dwight let caroline know of the secret shenanigans??? That's not something he should have shared wih her. And then of course she blabs to demelza about it. ???? Dumb.
  • Also...what on earth is caroline talking about with this 'past indiscretion'  of dwight's???? When??? With who? I have no recollection of him ever having interest in with someone else's wife. ?????
  • GEORGE FOR THE WIN!!!!! 
  • so they end the show with ross ditching demelza for at least 9 months or longer, and dwight will eventually be ditching caroline for a while too? Okay i guess.
  • One last slow motion scene.

Overall thoughts on season 5:

• Despite some general complaints (dumb demelza, ned overstaying his welcome by about 2 episodes and the grating tess plot), caroline's jealousy...i actually really enjoyed this season despite it basically being all made up i guess.
  • I thought last season was awful: the mention and squabbles over teeny bopper poet hugh (or however it was spelled- i don't care at this point) and elizabeth almost every episode, what seemed like a mandatory one per episode requirement of ross/demelza bed scenes and random slow motion shots, ross being out of control, demelza's london dumbness, etc...
  • ...all of which I thought season 5 improved upon (except the demelza stuff). We got minimal bed scenes and slow motion shots which i appreciated and we hardly had to listen to ross give a passionate speech too. It was really nice seeing him have to be the one keeping his cool thru the ned stuff.
  • George also wasn't mustache twirling the entire season which was also a nice change of pace.
  • Merceron and hanson were really great villains imo.

Sorry that this is a bit of a rambly mess but i'm still collecting my thoughts as i'm typing this. 😛

But yeah, season 5 > season 4 by a long shot so it's a bit disappointing that the finale didn't have a bit more oomph to it.

*reading the dwight comments: maybe. I need to go back and rewatch season 1 bc i only now barely recall such a plot

I agree with you that, despite my issues with season 5, I preferred it to season 4. Any day without Hugh is a good day. 

And I meant to comment on this and forget until I read your post--yes, I was also confused that we were supposed to know that Cecily had escaped with Kitty. Because if that was the case, why would you have her get on the ship in broad daylight at the harbor with a send-off party of Poldarks?  

6 minutes ago, nara said:

YES! I agree 100%

• Love 2

I wish the possible invasion by the French and the stealing of the ore had been the main story of season 5 instead of wasting a bunch of time on Ned.

I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Verity one last time, but at least we got a mention of her.  Did PBS cut a scene of Dwight spilling the beans to Caroline?  The scene of her explaining things to Demelza seemed to come out of nowhere.

Horace and Garrick have to be like 20 years old!

Good for George for sort of redeeming himself.  I could never get on the hate George bandwagon because he was such an entertaining villain.

I blurted out "Don't step on Superman's cape!" during the final shot.

Ross said he would return and I believe him.  I think the writers, actors, and producers will be back to tell the rest of the Poldark saga after a few years have passed.  When they do, I'll watch!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, kassygreene said:

How is no one commenting on the final finale cameo by Robin Ellis as Rev. Halse?  The meta was glorious!

I didn't recognize him!  How neat! 

I enjoyed the ending very much, yes it was choppy, but I liked seeing all the happy endings for everyone.  

I'm grateful for the show, even when things got boring down the pit we still got back  up to the beautiful scenery, handsome actors and  actresses with their hair blowing in the wind when they were long past the age to wear it that way.  

Fond memories include Ross coming home from the war and finding Jud and Prudie sleeping in his bed. Demelza lying in the wild flowers dreaming of Ross.  All the dog scenes. Demelza beating up Jud   after he stole the pie she had made and Demelza screaming as she washes her hair in the cold water from the pump.

• Love 5

George is the man!  Who would have thought he would even know how to fire one pistol let alone two at once?  Often times throughout the series, I would get frustrated with George's only mission of "get Poldark".  In this final season he has proved himself to be more than just the villain of the piece.  I actually felt sorry for him this season because he was in such misery over losing Elizabeth.  In a way his suffering has made him a better man.  I loved it when he saw the shadow of Elizabeth once more this episode.

Overall I thought it was a very enjoyable finale although I agree with those who said it was choppy.  Happy endings and hope for the future is always a good way to leave a show.  I also thought it was a nice touch seeing the two Poldarks face to face at the end.

15 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Thanks for the reminder.  I had completely forgotten about that.

• Love 6

Where am I going to have to go to find another gloriously handsome British actor with a mane of curly black hair?  I've lost Kit Harington and now Aidan Turner.  Although, I might have said the same over 40 years ago about Robin Ellis. 

I never thought anyone could come close to Angharad Rees as Demelza but ET really pulled it off.  The chemistry between ET and AT was off the charts.  Didn't really get into this season, and would have enjoyed seeing more of Dr. & Mrs. Enys, but the closing shots were lovely and all the happy endings were a nice touch.  Yay Rosina!

• Love 7

Aww, I loved it. I’m not sure what Ross was going to be doing in France. Didn’t they sign the treaty?  I can’t imagine he’d be a spy for Wickham. That was considered the lowest of the low at the time. Nothing was more distasteful and ungentlemanly than a spy. That’s why they were routinely hanged.

Love Day?  Loveday?

Trenwith still belongs to Geoffrey Charles.

Loved that George came through as a hero before he and Ross resorted to their customary antagonism (however he worded that).

The brother is Sam.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Overall, a pretty good finale.  Look, it certainly was unexpected that ole George would EVER save Ross's life, but he did -- and I liked it.  Ah, poor Georgie.  Who would think we could be sympathizing with him?  But it was hard not to.  It really did look like he was going to become a ghost-o-sexual, as I had earlier predicted.  But why was there no clear image of Heida?  Did her contract run out?

A few things bothered me a bit -- like what was with Tess falling for Ross?  That seemed to come out of nowhere.  And why in the world would Demelza feel sorry for her?  Seriously, what the what?  And what the heck was with Caroline being jealous of Kitty?  I didn't get that at all.  Oh, and why was Rosina just standing around doing nothing when Morwenna was about to give birth?  That was dumb.

It was kinda nice that Demelza's bros had a happy ending, but I never changed my mind about those 2.  They were both dopes & the actors playing 'em really stunk.  And it was nice seeing the meanie bros get their just due & had me thinkin' about too many figures in politics now who should only meet such an end.

Ah, but it did finish off in a way that highlighted what made this show so great to watch -- the scenery, the scenery, the scenery.  Man, I almost felt that wind blowing my hair around too . . . er, even if my hair isn't long enough to blow around (well, much anyway). 

Sniff, I'll miss this show.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Tippi said:

Where am I going to have to go to find another gloriously handsome British actor with a mane of curly black hair?  I've lost Kit Harington and now Aidan Turner.  Although, I might have said the same over 40 years ago about Robin Ellis. 

I never thought anyone could come close to Angharad Rees as Demelza but ET really pulled it off.  The chemistry between ET and AT was off the charts.  Didn't really get into this season, and would have enjoyed seeing more of Dr. & Mrs. Enys, but the closing shots were lovely and all the happy endings were a nice touch.  Yay Rosina!

Aidan Turner is Irish, not British. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

A few things bothered me a bit -- like what was with Tess falling for Ross?  That seemed to come out of nowhere.  And why in the world would Demelza feel sorry for her?  Seriously, what the what?  And what the heck was with Caroline being jealous of Kitty?  I didn't get that at all.  Oh, and why was Rosina just standing around doing nothing when Morwenna was about to give birth?  That was dumb.

The only one I can comment on is Caroline.  She admitted she wasn't so much jealous of Kitty, as she was using jealousy as an excuse to push Dwight away for fear of another pregnancy.  (I wish we had found out in the end if she was pregnant again.  Did they have a family in the books?)  Your other questions?  Got nothing.

One thing bothered me.  How nobody aged in 20+ years.  Must be the water.  Or something in the air while gazing from the cliffs out to sea.

I'll miss the show.  Maybe I'll even try to read the books again.

• Love 2

Er, is it my imagination or did they leave it so they could do another season?  Well, given this season had nothing to do with the books, it certainly gives ‘em the freedom to do another, right?  The books skip way far ahead & Ross & Demelza are hardly the focus.

Was it 20 years the show went thru?  And Ross still has jet black hair & Demelza has that gorgeous skin?  Um, OK.  Now we have Botox & hair color.  What was their secret?  Coal mines, ocean water & lots of wind?

Gosh, Jack Farthing is a wonderful actor.  Just sayin’.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

The only one I can comment on is Caroline.  She admitted she wasn't so much jealous of Kitty, as she was using jealousy as an excuse to push Dwight away for fear of another pregnancy.  (I wish we had found out in the end if she was pregnant again.  Did they have a family in the books?)  Your other questions?  Got nothing.

One thing bothered me.  How nobody aged in 20+ years.  Must be the water.  Or something in the air while gazing from the cliffs out to sea.

I'll miss the show.  Maybe I'll even try to read the books again.

(Books spoiler)

somewhere between books seven and eight, Dwight and Caroline have two more daughters.  

• Love 5
On 11/18/2019 at 5:01 PM, Tippi said:

Where am I going to have to go to find another gloriously handsome British actor with a mane of curly black hair?  I've lost Kit Harington and now Aidan Turner.

Aidan is going to play Leonardo Da Vinci some time next year.  https://www.screendaily.com/news/poldark-star-aidan-turner-to-play-leonardo-da-vinci-in-series-from-lux-vide-big-light-productions/5143954.article

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2019 at 11:01 PM, Tippi said:

You'll have to watch the new Star Trek: Picard series with Santiago Cabrera - he's Chilean rather than British, but went to school in London, has a lovely English accent (which he may or may not be using in the new show), and could easily be cast as Aidan Turner's brother.

Thanks, everyone, for keeping me up to date on the last seasons of the show with all your chat in the episode threads - I stopped watching after Dwight's rescue from France when I decided I could no longer cope with how very different the show is from the books I'd enjoyed so much, but I've continued to lurk and follow the conversations in here anyway, to see how the show was going.

• Love 4

I'm not sure how I feel about this ending.  But I think it mostly it wrapped stories nicely for the soap opera that it was.

Yay, George.  He was a total shit.  But most of it was deep rooted insecurity.  And he was never prepared to be a traitor. 

Ross is such a drama queen having the villain brothers dragged out of bed and then popping up from a chair by the fire to read the list of charges.

I'm pleased for Rosina that she is happy.  But, honestly, she's too good for both Carne men.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

"So ... shall we revert to our usual animosity?"  "With pleasure."  The single best thing about this episode was George coming through in the pinch and reaching his uneasy peace with Ross.  Jack Farthing has come a long way from the tediously peevish one-note villain he mostly was the first couple of seasons to give George so many unexpected layers of pain and insecurity and jealousy that ended in a weary acceptance and wanting to just move on.  He's been that good.

There was way too much going on in this one for a single episode, let alone trying to cram in an entire plotline that only sprang up the previous episode.  If they wanted to do a French espionage story as the timeline moves to the Napoleonic wars, they should have wrapped up the Neverending Melodrama of Hothead Ned at least two episodes earlier.  Weirdly this managed to feel both rushed and incredibly draggy as it was nigh impossible at times to figure out who was betraying who.

Tess putting the moves on Ross felt like it was shoehorned in after the writing had been hinting at it all season and then they realized oops, last episode and we need all that to amount to something.  So he strung her along for five months on vague distracted promises that he'd rock her world eventually and she didn't see anything off about that?  I swear Ross trying to not explain himself first to Demelza and then to Dwight felt like he was lapsing into bad verse at times.  But hey, at least they managed to work in a last random swordfight in stalling tactics worthy of a Bond villain. You could literally feel whichever villain brother that was rolling his eyes at that.  Ross really is the worst kind of dumbass, lying to Demelza yet again when of course he'll need her to save his life - again - five minutes later, right after she anachronistically plans to jet off to an entire other country with his children.

Ye gods, it must feel like a thankless job being a friend or in-law of Ross's.  Oh you're engaged in a little secret espionage that for some unknown reason requires you to fake cheating on our sister and you want us to dabble in explosives again for reasons you aren't going to bother to clarify?  Sure, no problem.  Dwight's apparently given up even trying to make Ross see any good sense and decided oh hell let's just go with it.  Nothing bad will surely come of us running off to France to be spies in the rise of Napoleon, right?

It's a shame Rosina will be forever entangled with the idiot Carne brothers, but it's a small village and she's not getting any younger.  Nice to see Robin Ellis one last time to get one last word in the Poldark saga.  

• Love 3

This episode was awful.

The sappy dialogue was at OUTLANDER levels and did the opposite of convincing me of their love.

the notion that Demelza was that easily duped was just... dumb. She knows he knows about Tess why isn’t her first thought what’s he up to?

the whole double agent thing, feh.

glad that George saved the day but then he can’t sustain it- oh come ON. He didn’t really even ATTEMPT to grow as a character. It would be one thing to realize he must leave tre with to raise valentine but he seems still motivated by jealousy.

caroline and Dwight were the only characters who evolved.

to me very disappointing end to a great series.