Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Both Egypt, Michael, Dave, and Jennifer did a great job in the kitchen but I think Egypt and Michael did the best kitchen but Jennifer and Dave has a better stove though but I am rooting for Egypt and Michael and Dave and Jennifer to win, I do not care for Leslie and Lynsday and Brian and Evan but I am glad Allison is not on the show but I sure hope she does not come back to judge though

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

They were doing a popular New Kids on the Block dance. Not pointing at their crotches. Get with it boomer ;)

Lordy, lordy. Knock me over with a feather. I'm gobsmacked! .......It still looked weird considering they were going gaga over the guy (who is out of their league.)

• LOL 2
34 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Meanwhile, what on earth do people do with those gigantic stoves? All those burners, specifically. Multiple ovens I get.

I have four burners and don't recall ever using all four at once.  Wretched excess to my way of thinking.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I found it interesting that all four teams removed the corner pantry.  Don’t builders have design people on their teams telling them that people won’t like that?

I think it was done on purpose in order to give the designers something to remove, as well as coming up with a new design to make their kitchens unique.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

I think it was done on purpose in order to give the designers something to remove, as well as coming up with a new design to make their kitchens unique.

Unique. Ha. Good one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

The hidden kid's room was a total waste of space.  I hate rooms with no windows.  And why would anyone give up a powder room for that? 

I think both Egypt and Jenny put shelves on the sides of the niche over the stove.  I don't really like open shelving in kitchens to begin with, but that location is the worst for grease depositing on the shelves.  

I liked the look of Egypt's kitchen, but how would the limewashed backsplash hold up to being wiped down frequently?

I know blue is not neutral, but I thought the twins' kitchen looked nice.  I'm so tired of white kitchens on almost every show.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I know blue is not neutral, but I thought the twins' kitchen looked nice.  I'm so tired of white kitchens on almost every show.

Yes, exactly. And as this is supposed to be a programme featuring designers I don't want to see a house that looks builder grade in the end. The open-concept-white-grey cult at HGTV might not agree but a lot of home buyers do. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Finally watched and I’m cautiously optimistic about the new season. I will admit to skipping the last three house tours due to a low tolerance for NKOTB puns, awkward fawning, and the Bargain Block dudes.

The Twins: I’m actually the rare fan of the twins and Unsellable Houses. They’re silly and goofy, but not obnoxiously so (to me, anyway). And while Lindsey is waaay to fond of knick-knacks, I generally find their work to be solid and effective. (I’m really looking forward to this season with 3 real estate agents.) Other than thinking they should have put in a pot filler instead of the iced tea station, I liked what they did. I suspect they’ll spend the season caught in a cost-effective vs. luxury storyline, constantly being compared to Egypt and Mike (similar to what happened with Mika and Brian last season).

Egypt and Mike: I don’t watch Married to Real Estate, but I’m familiar with Egypt from her earlier shows. I liked what they did for the most part, but I hope that powder room doesn’t end up being an expensive mistake. Hopefully they actually had a plan in place before making that decision and the “we’ll figure it out later” is just to create suspense or something.

FtF Couple: I don’t watch their show, but their dynamic and outcome pretty much fit what I expected. The playroom under the stairs seemed pretty taste-specific, but I had the same thought as another poster: the space can be used for storage instead. I guess they’ll also have the powder room issue hanging over them for a bit. I’m already tired of hearing the word family, lol.

Bargain Block Guys: *sigh* I guess they’re here to fill the Out-There Designs to Get People Talking role, but with a fraction of the charm and savvy that Tiffany and David brought. Hopefully their storyline will lean more in the “wow, what a big budget” direction instead of “respect my kooky designs for I am an artiste.”

ETA I forgot to mention the island orientation. I think it’s probably an even split on which way people would prefer to have it, but for my own part I like the original position facing the family room. Turning it made a dining space that was way too narrow, and it would be impossible to seat people at the island and dining table simultaneously (presumably something you’d want to do while entertaining). It also impedes flow to the back of the house and through the sliders/French doors.

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 8

I like all of these contestants but it's not quite as fun watching when I don't have someone like Alison to root against.😃

Like Alison's house last year, I didn't like Egypt's stone/brick backsplash. It looks great, but it would be a pain to clean. And there were too many open shelves. The door to the pantry was awkward, but not a big deal.

The Seattle twins' blue cupboards were too specific. I'm surpised Lyndsay (the realtor) let Leslie go ahead with that.

The Detroit guys were crazy to put a mud room on the opposite side of the house from the garage.

I think Egypt/Mike and the Marrs are right to move the half bath (assuming they can find another place for it). IMO, having a powder room next to the kitchen isn't good. We had a house like that and there was no sense of privacy, and as Dave Marrs said, who wants to hear the flushing (and other noises) while you're eating.

I didn't have a problem with the Marrs's window over the kitchen sink potentially looking the neighbors house. They could put a fence with bushes and a fountain or bamboo there. My above-the-sink window looks into a tree and I enjoy the view. I thought the secret kids' playroom was cute and it was a clever use of the under-the-stairs wasted space. I thought it would make a great place to store valuables.

• Love 4

I kind of like the Bargain Block guys more than all of the others.  Not a fan of unsellable houses duo, I used to like Egypt on her older shows, but not on her newer one.  And FtF, I liked in the beginning until I saw that every house is the same in the end, and I find them very bland.  As for the kitchens, I liked the two that the judges liked least, the most.  I guess I like kitchens that aren't all white and off white.  And I hated that FtF had all of that space and so little storage.  Honestly, people need a place to put their stuff and open shelving doesn't work for everything.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 3/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, 3 is enough said:

The hidden kid's room was a total waste of space.

If memory  serves, wasn't that area found/unused space?  I'm surprised nobody said they increased the square  footage of  the  house.

I'd love the secret area space, it can be used for storage/safekeeping  of valuables, and in a pinch a safe space for people

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

The Detroit guys were crazy to put a mud room on the opposite side of the house from the garage.

I know! How did this make sense? Show me the judges’ WTF? outtakes.

Guys, I saw all your D houses and none of them had anything as stupid as this. Unless they’re putting in another outside door next week☹️

• Love 3

When that twin said to put a fireplace on that wall, the words “Bitch, you are in Charleston” just popped out of my mouth. Then every single effing one of them proposed a fireplace on that that same effing wall! 🤦‍♀️

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Living room and entry from the garage this week.    I like living room week, and main bedroom/bathroom week also. 

Fireplaces are very popular.    Even if all the fireplace is for is a decor item.  I like the fireplace Dave and Jenny put in one house, it was an electric one, and it could either just be for light, or be used for heat, and the light only option was so much safer with little kids in the home.   

The Unsellables women need to stop with the ridiculous singing, and chanting.   I wish the show would just show the design, and stop with the trash talking, and the other silly chatting, and stunts. 

At least Mike and Egypt found a good place for the half bath that they turned into a pantry last week.   The powder room is nice.    The mudroom cubby section is fantastic, and connecting the 120 sq. ft. they added was so smart, and connecting the garage to the house is brilliant.        I love the living room, but I think the couches are too big for the space.  I like the ceiling beams white, not the color of the french doors the way Jasmine suggested.  I think changing the beam color to match the biege trim is a horrible suggestion. 

I can't say how much I dislike the twins' wall of cheap maps.  I would have put cubbies on the entry, instead of a useless knick knack shelf.   I don't like the loud green accent wall, or the tile on the wet bar.  I likeA different accent wall color could have added to the design, instead of dominating it.   I liked the ceiling beams. (Last week's kitchen cabinets came across on my TV as glaring, cheap looking blue.  Navy or light blue would have looked better in my opinion).    

So, Dave and Jenny move the powder room at the kitchen edge, and living room, and I don't like that.    I do like their cubbies section, and their living room is nice.   However, I don't think blinding white couches are family friendly.  Actually, the entire living room is going to look awful very quickly, when someone buys it and starts living in it.   I'm hoping it's just staging furniture, and won't be staying in the house after it's for sale.  (Yes, Dave always wears the hat.   The only time I saw him without it was when he was doing the wedding ceremony for the young couple, and Dave is bald). 

I don't like Keith and Evan's brick fireplace, and I don't like the fuzzy chandelier, or the wall color.   What are those giant puffy things hanging off the fireplace?   I don't like the curving furniture in the living room either.   

Winner this week:   I think Egypt and Mike should win this week.  The winners are:  Egypt and Mike.   For once the judge agrees with me. 

Next week, main bedroom and bath, unfortunately the return of Alison Victoria as a judge, and Page Turner will judge also.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
(edited)

I am glad Egypt and Michael won this round, like Jonathan told Egypt and Michael last week "I would move in this house" I would too! I do like Dave and Jenny's house also but I do not like the wallpaper in the powder room, it is ugly and too bold and as for Lindsey, Leslie, Evan, and Keith's houses, they made their houses uglier tonight 🤢

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 5
On 3/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, 3 is enough said:

The hidden kid's room was a total waste of space.  I hate rooms with no windows.  And why would anyone give up a powder room for that? 

I think both Egypt and Jenny put shelves on the sides of the niche over the stove.  I don't really like open shelving in kitchens to begin with, but that location is the worst for grease depositing on the shelves.  

I liked the look of Egypt's kitchen, but how would the limewashed backsplash hold up to being wiped down frequently?

The blue cabinets are nice but it makes the kitchen too dark so I am not a fan of that

• Love 1
(edited)

I think this week's competition was pretty much over when Egypt & Mike connected the garage to the house. I'm not a real estate expert, but I think being able to say that they have an attached, instead of detached, garage is huge in adding value.  I wish they had found a way to tuck the powder room around the corner where they put the mud room. I just hate when a bathroom is so close to a public space that it seems like everyone can hear you peeing and flushing. If they had swapped the location of the mud room and powder room, they could have moved the mud room entrance into the entry way instead of  the living/dining area--where the powder door was. (I think Dave & Jenny put their powder room in the same spot as Egypt & Mike.)

I actually normally like Unsellable Houses, but the twins aren't impressing me at all so far. They seem too focused on design, and not on adding any function or square footage. (I don't particularly think the tiny wet bar area added much function.)

I liked Dave & Jenny's design, they came in second for me.

The Detroit boys are out of their league.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I think this week's competition was pretty much over when Egypt & Mike connected the garage to the house. I'm not a real estate expert, but I think being able to say that they have an attached, instead of detached, garage is huge in adding value.  I wish they had found a way to tuck the powder room around the corner where they put the mud room. I just hate when a bathroom is so close to a public space that it seems like everyone can hear you peeing and flushing. If they had swapped the location of the mud room and powder room, they could have moved the mud room entrance into the entry way instead of  the living/dining area--where the powder door was. (I think Dave & Jenny put their powder room in the same spot as Egypt & Mike.)

I actually normally like Unsellable Houses, but the twins aren't impressing me at all so far. They seem too focused on design, and not on adding any function or square footage. (I don't particularly think the tiny wet bar area added much function.)

I liked Dave & Jenny's design, they came in second for me.

The Detroit boys are out of their league.

Evan and Keith's designs are so bad that I think they called Hilda from Trading Spaces for advice on how to design their houses, I would be shocked if any of Evan and Keith's rooms wins

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Why would you need a wet bar there when you are steps from the kitchen? 
I’m sick of Ballcap Guy (does he ever take it off) acting as if he is the only person who can make things. 🙄 Why did Jasmine mention “family” in relation to their blindingly white living room?

They need to make sure Ty the Homeless Guy doesn’t steal the hat from Egypt and Mike’s mud room. 😆

Alison next week! 😱

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m sick of Ballcap Guy (does he ever take it off) acting as if he is the only person who can make things. 🙄 Why did Jasmine mention “family” in relation to their blindingly white living room?

They need to make sure Ty the Homeless Guy doesn’t steal the hat from Egypt and Mike’s mud room. 😆

Alison next week! 😱

Yeah, it sucks to see Allison again but thank god it is only for 1 episode 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DVDFreaker said:

The blue cabinets are nice but it makes the kitchen too dark so I am not a fan of that

Actually the darker the colour on the wall or cabinets the bigger the room looks. And in open concept with all those other windows they could have done black cabinets (which look awesome in kitchens with walls) and it would still be light. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Egypt and Mike FTW. Who’s adding more value than they did?😏

Jasmine can go home. The beams being the door color would have sucked, unless you like garanimal design. And that blindingly white room with minimal furniture of the Marrs was family friendly how? 

Guess I don’t need to see the evaluations next week.

Edited by buttersister
Autocorrect sucks
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Egypt and Mike nailed it. Connecting the house to the garage bodes well for them winning the whole competition, IMO. I can't imagine anything the others can do to the bedrooms, baths, and exterior that would add as much value as that. But maybe the bonus space above the garage could be a game changer.

The twins are probably at a bit of a disadvantage since the other teams all have a contractor/builder. I don't know if they've ever said  how it works, but I assume the teams have to pay for the construction help they need out of their budget, so the other teams can get by with hiring one fewer carpenter. Also, what they do on their show is mostly cosmetic and design changes. Other than opening up kitchens to living areas, they rarely reconfigure spaces.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, Dave and Jenny move the powder room at the kitchen edge, and living room, and I don't like that.    I do like their cubbies section, and their living room is nice.   However, I don't think blinding white couches are family friendly.   (Yes, Dave always wears the hat.   The only time I saw him without it was when he was doing the wedding ceremony for the young couple, and Dave is bald). 

That was the one note I scribbled down last night. The whole place is blinding white and it's family friendly? 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I actually normally like Unsellable Houses, but the twins aren't impressing me at all so far. They seem too focused on design, and not on adding any function or square footage. (I don't particularly think the tiny wet bar area added much function.).

That black and white tile was awful in that spot. It took the eye off the fireplace, which is supposed to be the focal point.

Oops, I did make a second note. They had to raise the fireplace mantel to close the gap between it and the wall and meet, quote, "current code." When would there have ever been a code that permitted that gap?

When they first showed the mantel the blond one was measuring the top part and it looked like she was holding the measuring tape somewhat diagonally. Of course it would measure taller if you hold the tape that way!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I agree that Egypt and Mike won the week, and unless the others somehow add square footage they'll likely win the whole thing.

Jenny and Dave went full-on dull this week.  Bland, blah, yawn.  I love them and their show, so I'm not sure what's happened.  This is the trend lately, though. Everything is gray or washed out looking. I hate it.

The twins house had the color and contrast I was wanting, but it was too much. Sigh. There's a happy medium somewhere, ladies.  They cross over into busy-messy with their stuff.  That black and white tile was awful and I wouldn't need ANOTHER sink.  They already made the "iced tea station" so I don't know what they were thinking with that.  I did agree with Jasmine that the fireplace mantle would have been better painted a color, but only if they toned down something else somewhere else (like losing the wet bar).  Still, that FP was definitely the prettiest and most "Charleston" of them all.

Egypt's style is just too boring for me, so overall it was just okay - or I should say the LR was just okay and the fireplace was too plain, but they made up for it with the connection to the garage. If I bought that house I'd remodel that fireplace to give it more character and get rid of the "modern."

The guys... what can I say?  I think it's a hot mess.  I'm sure someone will love it, but to me it looks dark and messy and just... no.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I agree that Egypt and Mike won the week, and unless the others somehow add square footage they'll likely win the whole thing.

Jenny and Dave went full-on dull this week.  Bland, blah, yawn.  I love them and their show, so I'm not sure what's happened.  This is the trend lately, though. Everything is gray or washed out looking. I hate it.

The twins house had the color and contrast I was wanting, but it was too much. Sigh. There's a happy medium somewhere, ladies.  They cross over into busy-messy with their stuff.  That black and white tile was awful and I wouldn't need ANOTHER sink.  They already made the "iced tea station" so I don't know what they were thinking with that.  I did agree with Jasmine that the fireplace mantle would have been better painted a color, but only if they toned down something else somewhere else (like losing the wet bar).  Still, that FP was definitely the prettiest and most "Charleston" of them all.

Egypt's style is just too boring for me, so overall it was just okay - or I should say the LR was just okay and the fireplace was too plain, but they made up for it with the connection to the garage. If I bought that house I'd remodel that fireplace to give it more character and get rid of the "modern."

The guys... what can I say?  I think it's a hot mess.  I'm sure someone will love it, but to me it looks dark and messy and just... no.

I doubt anyone would love it, do you really see someone walking in the house and saying "This is the best design ever!" I doubt it!

• Love 2

I notice that in the past few years the mud room trend has picked up steam.  I can see it being more popular in colder climates, where people have to deal with winter coats and boots for a good chunk of the year.

I grew up in Montreal, and most of the houses built in the 50's-80's had vestibules, which you entered at the front door. The coat closets were located there, and then there was a second door that led into the house. Usually people had trays for boots in there.  They were very small spaces, mostly because the houses were a lot smaller back then, but I guess it evolved into today's mud room. Also think it stopped drafts, since the doors were not as well insulated back then.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I notice that in the past few years the mud room trend has picked up steam.  I can see it being more popular in colder climates, where people have to deal with winter coats and boots for a good chunk of the year.

I grew up in Montreal, and most of the houses built in the 50's-80's had vestibules, which you entered at the front door. The coat closets were located there, and then there was a second door that led into the house. Usually people had trays for boots in there.  They were very small spaces, mostly because the houses were a lot smaller back then, but I guess it evolved into today's mud room. Also think it stopped drafts, since the doors were not as well insulated back then.

Same with houses in NYC. I'm always surprised by how many houses on these types of shows don't have an entrance hall, even in cold climates.

• Love 4

O.k. I wasn't going the watch this season, but I had the notifications for it still set up here, so the comments got me hooked in.

Couple with kids? Blandy McBlindingly Bland. What a dull dull dull house. Are they really going to have little kids running through that pantry door? No. And that "antique" door? The most generic door style ever. Jasmine thought that was a "wow" entry? Wish I had what she's smokin'.

Ugh, Jasmine recommending that the beams be the same color as the door trim. Nope. But I only watched Jasmine's show a few times before I realized she was awful, so not surprised at the bad call. Egypt and Mike's  (at least he's eye candy!) is as bland as the kid couple. They were smart to add that connection to the the garage, because these houses look completely stupid with that little detached garage plunked down by the front door.

Twins? Eh. Not worth wasting pixels on. But that black and white tile pulled the focus and unbalanced the room. And they'd do better to group some of the plants together instead of randomly sprinkling them around the room. No! They should not have painted the mantel. They should have painted the wall behind the mantel. Jasmine.

Ah, Detroit guys. You try sooooo hard. I appreciated the color and texture after the featureless nowhere land of the other houses. But peach??? Throwback to the worst color of the 70s. I liked the brick pattern on the fireplace wall, and I'll never not love a round window, but no. Just no.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yes, that whole Entry space as presented in the bare house was problematic.  It seemed to me (after some thought) that to welcome visitors as they walk in, with the first view of your home being all your family's coats &c on hooks, is kind of odd.  But also looking at some art piece isn't practical.  It would seem that when company walks in, you say "Let me take your coat.." and have someplace to put it.  So - wouldn't you most sensibly put a closet there ??  So people aren't gazing at your coats and umbrellas, and you can take theirs.  (I assume they have winters where people wear coats in Charleston.)  

Around here we have always called it "the front hall closet".  This house didn't have one and I don't think anybody gave it one.

That said, seconding the notion that Egypt and Mike have a huge lead right now, having connected the garage to the house.  

• Love 4

Pretty much everything I was going to say about this week was already covered by others so, here goes:

15 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I just hate when a bathroom is so close to a public space that it seems like everyone can hear you peeing and flushing.

This is exactly why I didn't like the location of both new powder rooms this week and why the powder rooms were where they were originally.

15 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I think this week's competition was pretty much over when Egypt & Mike connected the garage to the house.

Agreed.  Aren't these like $500k houses?  Why would anyone want to spend that amount of money have not have an attached garage?

15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't say how much I dislike the twins' wall of cheap maps. 

14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I really really dislike the twins.  C'mon, high five each other or dance around one more time.  Their living room and entry way was horrible. The wet bar was not needed (along with that horrible tile) and the maps were just plain ugly. What was that story about the maps?  Put something on the wall so the evil spirits trying to enter the house will stop and look at it?

I didn't think Keith and Evan's circle windows were all that special and their fireplace was extremely ugly. I also didn't care for the mosiac whatever in the entrance way and the wall colors (and texture) they picked were terrible.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Chippings said:

Around here we have always called it "the front hall closet".  This house didn't have one and I don't think anybody gave it one.

This is an issue I have with a lot of houses shown on TV lately. Everybody wants "open concept" but they pull out all the walls with closets and don't usually replace them. Where do you put your broom and dustpan? Your vacuum cleaner? Your mop and bucket???

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, carrps said:

This is an issue I have with a lot of houses shown on TV lately. Everybody wants "open concept" but they pull out all the walls with closets and don't usually replace them. Where do you put your broom and dustpan? Your vacuum cleaner? Your mop and bucket???

I'm a huge fan of Open Concept, but you're right about some of these designs.  Most OC houses have a big walk-in pantry and some kind of cleaning closet or setup in the laundry room, but some of these places don't seem to have that.

Egypt and Mike didn't do this on Rock  the Block, but the last episode of their show I saw they took out the space under the stairs and put in wine storage.  I was upset over the loss of the storage area. That's where we keep our Vacuum - under the stairs.  Besides, they already had a wine fridge. Do most people actually need a whole closet dedicated to their wine? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, carrps said:

I guess the housecleaning service you hire to come in a few times a month will do the housecleaning, so you don't need a vacuum and dust pan.    Or you put them in the pantry.   I guess since no one put tile in the front entry, and near the mud room cubbies, that the contestants don't realize it rains in South Carolina, and you need somewhere to hang wet jackets and umbrellas to dry.  

• Love 3

So many great comments and in agreement with most of them.

I wonder if there is some sort of thirst epidemic in Washington that requires the twins to add a wet bar to every room.  Wouldn't that have to be plumbed? Seems like a waste of money.

I think the Detroit guys just can't settle into designs that are on such a huge scale after doing the dinky places they usually tackle.  When you start adding "eclectic" pieces in 10 x 10 foot room, it's not bad but scaled up to fit the room it becomes overwhelming.  Plus everything they do is a dust catcher although I suppose people that buy those places have maids anyway.

I absolutely hate open concept and this is the worst example of.  The kitchen is at least twice the size of what is laughingly referred to as the living room.  Every single design looks like they crammed a couch and a couple of chairs in a few square feet at the end of a ballroom.

And what is with all of the white?  Are these families destined to buy these places going to feed their kids only white food?  Are pets going to be forbidden?  Does everyone have to wear some sort of hazmat suit so as to avoid getting a speck of dirty anywhere?  News flash, those are not real world rooms.

• Love 13
(edited)

Actually, I think since Dave still has some hair on the sides, he's called balding.  

I know a lot of men who wear ball caps all of the time, it stops them from getting horrible sunburns. 

I find it interesting that Rock the Block is listed under Lifestyle, instead of Competitions.   I really don't see it as a real competition.   I think it's only to showcase their different show hosts, and build up interest in their group of shows, and I don't think there is anything real in the appraisals that pick the 'winner'.   

The same way with the Flip or Flop Atlanta people's competition to get a franchise, where the couple I thought should win had a remarkably low house appraisal on the last episode. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Actually, I think since Dave still has some hair on the sides, he's called balding.  

I know a lot of men who wear ball caps all of the time, it stops them from getting horrible sunburns. 

I find it interesting that Rock the Block is listed under Lifestyle, instead of Competitions.   I really don't see it as a real competition.   I think it's only to showcase their different show hosts, and build up interest in their group of shows, and I don't think there is anything real in the appraisals that pick the 'winner'.   

The same way with the Flip or Flop Atlanta people's competition to get a franchise, where the couple I thought should win had a remarkably low house appraisal on the last episode. 

Not interesting at all. I just stuck the thread in where other HGTV shows were. 😁

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Not interesting at all. I just stuck the thread in where other HGTV shows were. 😁

I really don't see this as a real competition at all, just another home makeover show to get more publicity for the participants.   I think the winner is just who the producers want it to be, and they spread out the weekly 'winners' to make it look like a contest.     

• Love 8
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really don't see this as a real competition at all, just another home makeover show to get more publicity for the participants.   I think the winner is just who the producers want it to be, and they spread out the weekly 'winners' to make it look like a contest.     

Agree! It is interesting to see how four teams envision a space differently, but it's usually pretty obvious from the get-go which ones have the edge. In this one it's either Jenny & Dave or Egypt & Mike. 

Interestingly, here in Georgia the latest trend in garage placement is to have them somewhat detached with a breezeway connecting them to the house, often screened in and used for an outside sitting area. I really liked Egypt & Mike's solution to build the hallway to the garage and create that "drop zone" for coats and such behind the foyer wall.

• Love 8
On 3/6/2022 at 4:18 AM, sheetmoss said:

I'd love the secret area space, it can be used for storage/safekeeping  of valuables, and in a pinch a safe space for people

The pandemic brought out the hoarder in me. My first thought for that hidden room was how great it'd be in a post-apoc type of situation. Even if looters or zombies were invading, I'd still have a secret stash of canned goods and TP. 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Looks like I'm the oddball, but I preferred Keith and Evan's living room. Didn't care for the furry (?) lighting fixture but loved the curved sofas and the darker feeling overall. I'm even liking the peach, though I'd prefer apricot. So done with white and gray everything (admittedly I personally have a white/cream great room with lots of texture for interest). Already bored with coastal design too. At least the Bargain Boys dare to be different. 

I also loved Dave and Tiffany's gaudy wallpaper and black entryway from the last season.

Egypt and Mike are tops so far for me. Yay, I'm not completely out of sync with popular opinion.

The twins always over-accessorize. I watch their show sometimes and have become accustomed to the OTT personalities. Haven't cared for the Marr's designs, so I don't watch them. I did think they made the #2 kitchen.

As for Alison next week, dare I admit her, um, strong personality doesn't bother me? And I like her designs? Granted, much of the credit goes to Ari, who does the vintage pieces that make her rooms. Next episode should be fun.

• Love 7
On 3/8/2022 at 9:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

OMG me too!  I was just amazed at who won that!  Because of that I don't like the Atlanta people at all.  It seriously bugged me.

• Love 1

Would the secret play room work for a dog?

I can't watch the twins' show. They are essentially realtors who are trying to break into design and a store, and their lack of experience shows. I think the cutesy twins schtick has worked for them in life, but it doesn't translate to TV.

The other contestants blur together as they all strive for the same HGTV personality.

There are lots of fireplaces in old Charleston houses, and living in the deep south I've always had a fireplace. So did my parents.

I watched the Knight guy's show - two seasons I think. He does true restoration and I was glad to see him on this show.

• Love 5