Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: All She Wants to Do is Dance

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

It’s time for the Johnson kids’ first school dance, but before Bow can dance the night away, she’ll have to consider the social impact of her date choice. Johan finds an outfit for the dance and discovers his love of fashion, while Santamonica spends some time with Harrison.

Airs October 22, 2019.

This show continues to knock it out of the park. It makes me smile and laugh and reminisce about the 80s and what it's like to be a pre-teen. 

Paul (squirming to explain his history): "Twel..maybe zero .. or did you mean hugs? I'm indiscriminate when it comes to hugs. Want one?"

St. Elmo's Fire!

I love that Gary Cole's grandfather character bonded with Santamonica. And generally, I love Gary Cole, even if he's cornered the market on obnoxious boorish older relative roles. (He was the best part of last year's late season replacement Fam.)

I wonder if this is the Wonder Years of this generation. 

• Love 8

Barack Obama married to Michelle Pfeiffer. That was funny.

"Robert DeNiro's unconventional taste in women." Say what now?

Looks like they're adjusting Santamonica's act a bit. Now she's coming across to me like a future Real Housewife of Wherever versus a suburban wannabe gangsta. I like it better.

Did the average person have a fax machine in the 80s?

• Love 6

I agree that I liked Santamonica more in this episode because you can see how she'll grow up to be who she is as an adult on Blackish. Right now I'm not getting any hints of adult Johan or Bow yet but I think we'll get there.

It hit me in this episode that Aunt Dee Dee is kind of a female version of Dre (with some hints of Ruby) at times and it made me a little sad to think Bow grows up to marry someone so like her aunt.

• Love 10

I enjoyed the Santamonica story because it wasn't just all three kids approaching the same situation in a different manner. She got her own little story. Also I hope we get a Bow/Grandpa episode soon, he's done good work with the other children recently.

I also enjoyed that Johan's strategy paid off.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

I agree that I liked Santamonica more in this episode because you can see how she'll grow up to be who she is as an adult on Blackish. Right now I'm not getting any hints of adult Johan or Bow yet but I think we'll get there.

It hit me in this episode that Aunt Dee Dee is kind of a female version of Dre (with some hints of Ruby) at times and it made me a little sad to think Bow grows up to marry someone so like her aunt.

Maybe that's why Bow got with Dre. She was used to that attitude growing up because it was normal, familiar and despite it she did like her aunt.

• Love 2

I have to say I really enjoy this show, this made me LOL quite a bit.

"Hi Mrs. Olson is Bryce there?"

"This is Bryce."  HA!!  It was funny because his voice did sound like a woman's voice at first.

Also, Bow's dancing.... bless her heart.

I like how this  episode gave us Paul's origin story of his love of black women.  His first episode on Blackish (played by Beau Bridges) played hysterically on that.

I liked the orange dress Bow tried on first more than the one she ended up wearing.

Santamonica's future personality is set and I love it.

• Love 8

Paul's love of black women was joked about a few times on Black-ish, so I enjoyed seeing its origin here! 

I continue to like the show, and the dance cracked me up, all of that build up, and the boys and the girls are on opposite sides of the gym half the time!

Bows dad seemed like a sweet kid, it was sad seeing her aunt getting into her head, even if she made up for it in the end (with mom and dad listening) so it worked out. Her aunt kind of reminds me of Dre, maybe thats why we dont see her in Black-ish? She can only take so many lectures on the "right" way to be black on any given day. 

I liked Santamonica a lot more this week, you can really see her start to become the Real Housewives Wanna Be that she grows up to be, and she and Gary Cole were gold. "Santamonicas type would turn out to be older rich men. She has no idea why."

• Love 10

It was realistic and hilarious that after all of Bow's drama about asking this nice boy to the dance, once they got inside, it was all the boys on one side of the room and all the girls on the other side.

I also loved her meeting at the pizza place/arcade with her friend to discuss how she should ask him to the dance. That was definitely something that middle school kids did. And the note with the boxes that had "yes" or "no."

Rainbow was really lucky that Bryce was so chill. I'm pretty sure most guys would not respond well to finding their dance date hiding from them inside a rack of clothes, lying about joining the army as a way of getting out of going to the dance together, and then asking them to go to the dance a second time.

Paul's dad can be a bit much so it was nice to see him being so sweet with Santamonica because she felt left out.

Overall, I think this show does a good job of capturing what it felt like to be an adolescent and what the 80s were like.

• Love 8
On 10/23/2019 at 8:59 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Robert DeNiro's unconventional taste in women." Say what now?

Assuming this wasn’t rhetorical, Robert DeNiro has dated several and married 2 black women. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Assuming this wasn’t rhetorical, Robert DeNiro has dated several and married 2 black women. 

Right, and why would that be considered "unconventional"? It was, IMO, a racist dogwhistle employed not by this show but by whoever that fictional newscaster was inside the show. In my recollection no one was bothered back in the 80s by DeNiro's attraction to Black women except racists. At worst, people were intrigued by it because relations between Italians (especially those of Sicilian descent) and African-Americans has generally tended to be hostile.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
i can haz grammar.
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Right, and why that be considered "unconventional"? It was, IMO, a racist dogwhistle employed not by this show but by whoever that fictional newscaster was inside the show. In my recollection no one was bothered back in the 80s by DeNiro's attraction to Black women except racists

It actually was very rarely spoken about in the 80s or done in a weird way despite marrying his first wife in 1978, it was intentionally exaggerated but not by much so yes the coverage was racist.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

He married Diahnne Abbott in 1976 and it had been publicly known they were dating beforehand. After they divorced in the late 80s he moved into a long-term relationship with Toukie Smith which didn't end until the mid-90s. He had children with both women. I don't think a big deal was made largely because he appeared to be having extended, committed relationships with these women and wasn't merely fetishizing them. Why Mixed-ish chose to zero in on him is mystifying to me unless they were counting on most of the audience not knowing any better. I think Bow's father compares to him only superficially but it's comedy so shrugs.

• Love 1

This is the first episode that I fully accepted MPG as Paul. I think he has good chemistry with Tika Sumpter. I think it's his interactions with the kids that fall flat to me, especially when I think of how Beau Bridges did that so well on the mother ship. But I like him now.

I also like Dee Dee finally. She finally showed some growth and more than one side. Plus, the dating video was hilarious. 

And I also really liked Grandpa and SM's story. He is a terrible person for the most part, but really loves those kids. Gary Cole really sells the character and makes you actually not want to punch him most of the time. 

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, xander874 said:

And I also really liked Grandpa and SM's story. He is a terrible person for the most part, but really loves those kids. Gary Cole really sells the character and makes you actually not want to punch him most of the time. 

I think this show pulls off with Harrison what the Mothership show doesn't quite pull off so well with Ruby.  Or rather what they also try to pull of with Dre's office mates.  There was a point in S3, I think,  of Black-ish where the office boardroom scenes (which had been just the right side of wincingly funny) stepped over a line and just got OTT ridiculous. 

Harrison is drawn in the ilk of Dre's boss, but there is a warmth to him and some cleverness to his writing that is missing with the broadness of Dre's boss.

And I think he works in a way that Ruby doesn't for me  is because he treats Alicia with a respect that Ruby didn't afford  Bow until last season when Bow had to finally call her on it in a way Ruby could not ignore.

• Love 6
On 10/23/2019 at 11:59 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Barack Obama married to Michelle Pfeiffer. That was funny.

"Robert DeNiro's unconventional taste in women." Say what now?

Looks like they're adjusting Santamonica's act a bit. Now she's coming across to me like a future Real Housewife of Wherever versus a suburban wannabe gangsta. I like it better.

Did the average person have a fax machine in the 80s?

No. No one, or no one I every knew had a fax machine in their home. That was nuts. 

• Useful 2
On 10/29/2019 at 9:59 PM, Scatterbrained said:

They wanna be like Grey’s Anatomy???

Did not watch the show, so I do not understand this joke but I did finally catch a clue that all the show titles are song titles so that is something.

There are a lot of unnecessary closeups in this video!

It's artistic!

Edited by elle
10 hours ago, elle said:

Did not watch the show, so I do not understand this joke but I did finally catch a clue that all the show titles are song titles so that is something.

All the show titles in Grey’s Anatomy are song titles.  That is all that I was referring to.

5 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

All the show titles in Grey’s Anatomy are song titles.  That is all that I was referring to.

Ah. If I had watched the show, it probably would have taken me an equally long time to figure that out. 🙂