Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: TaDah Foods, Blueland Cleaning Products, MinusCal, The Baby Toon Soft Baby Spoon

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

An eco-friendly cleaning supply company; a snack bar that blocks the absorption of fat; a redesigned spoon that is safe for babies; a frozen food brand that delivers authentic, plant-based East Mediterranean cuisine; Dan Lubetzky guest judges

• Love 1

I absolutely cannot stand Mark. I was so happy when Robert told him his arrogance affected the pitch. But, why couldn’t they then explain all the stuff Robert wanted to hear?  That’s unfair for Mark to steamroll over the inventors because he won’t shut his big fat, know-it-all mouth. That said, I don’t buy into that particular product, but Mark just needs to go out and then keep his mouth shut. He acts as if he’s the savior of mankind by shooting all these products down. 

• Love 17

That fat blocking minus cal reminded me of a product that was on the market awhile back. Led to diarrhea. Yep that's how the fat slid out of ya! I appreciate Mark's take charge attitude with these snake oil sales reps.

The only thing I may buy was the blueland cleaning products. But then off the waterworks!

• Love 10
52 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I absolutely cannot stand Mark. I was so happy when Robert told him his arrogance affected the pitch. But, why couldn’t they then explain all the stuff Robert wanted to hear?  That’s unfair for Mark to steamroll over the inventors because he won’t shut his big fat, know-it-all mouth.

So much THIS. I wish Mark could have heard me telling him to STFU too. If Mark doesn't like a product, then say he's out, don't steamroll people because you can. He was so far out of line. Maybe the pitch was BS, but maybe Mark was full of BS too. Well, no "maybe" about that second one.

I liked Dan Lubetzky and hope he comes back. Or just stays and Mark leaves. I'd be good with that.

I got a laugh about the eastern Med food guy saying he bought his product off a store shelf the night before and didn't have a clue what the expiration date was. It was like the show said, "You're on tomorrow! Get your pitch ready!" and the guy had to scramble to make something for them to taste.

I didn't see why the baby spoon was such a big deal, but the little girl presenting it seemed to charm the sharks, so she was golden. The Green-Tea-Extract guys should have hired her to do their pitch.

• Love 8

What is Mark's deal with supplements? Most people, probably Mark included, take some supplements. Yes, you have to be discerning, but that is true of many products. And there are "sham" products in all categories presented on this show, not just supplements. Granted, that product seemed particularly shammy, but if the producers vetted those people and let them on the show, they deserve their chance to give their presentation without being shutdown. 

Mark also got snippy with that other couple. He kept calling them out for "being there just to be on TV to sell their product, and not to get a deal" --then they took a deal. Doh!

I don't mind some fireworks between the sharks though, it keeps things interesting.  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Granted, that product seemed particularly shammy, but if the producers vetted those people and let them on the show, they deserve their chance to give their presentation without being shutdown. 

I don't know if the product was a sham or not. But because of the crap treatment this show gave them, I'd buy it and try it. I'd hate to think TPTB put them on so Mark could ridicule them. That's just harsh besides being insulting to everyone, including viewers.

Then Mark saying the cleaning product people were only on there to sell their product ... well DUH, isn't everyone? Isn't that why inventors want to get on this show? If you don't like the offer, make a counter offer. I hope the sharks who invested in that make a bundle while Mark doesn't.

While I like fireworks among the sharks, I hate when inventors are made fun of or harassed or belittled. As one of the sharks said last night, these people go to a lot of work to try to get on the show. If their product isn't any good or their request is out of line, that's on TPTB for letting them get on the show.

• Love 9

Update: I went to the Minus Cal website. It is having a special promo, get three sample bars for ONLY! $9.99. First orders, take 20 percent off, so three granola-sized bars for $8 and free shipping. I couldn't find the bar size listed, but the photos appear to show one bar is 1.8 oz.

I guess I'll just keep getting fat.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then Mark saying the cleaning product people were only on there to sell their product ... well DUH, isn't everyone? Isn't that why inventors want to get on this show? If you don't like the offer, make a counter offer. I hope the sharks who invested in that make a bundle while Mark doesn't.

The Sharks don't like when people go on the show just to get publicity. I guess they think it is a waste of their time to listen to a pitch if the people have no intention of taking any deal. But it seems like an over reaction to me. The Sharks get paid for each episode they film, so they are getting money for sitting through the pitches no matter what.

And, Mark was clearly wrong about the cleaning product people, so maybe he shouldn't be so quick to judge.

• Love 1

I think what the Sharks hate are people who have no intention of making a deal, just want to publicize their product, and took the place of someone else who really wanted to try for a deal.   

I like Lori's idea for the cleaning people, and think QVC would have a dynamite show with their product.      That is a great idea, and I think strips of tablet refills would be a great idea.  

The Falafel (spelling?) guy certainly has a good product if you can just buy some off the shelf and it tastes fresh.     I was very impressed with that one.   

I'm glad the guest shark explained why he had an accent, that was an amazing story about his family.  

That kid was adorable, and I liked Kevin saying he thought it was too early for her to quit elementary school.     I think that teething ring, spoon would sell millions for QVC.    

The look on some of the Sharks' faces when they tasted the Minus Cal product was hysterical.   I think Robert wished he could have spit it out.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
On 9/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Falafel (spelling?) guy certainly has a good product if you can just buy some off the shelf and it tastes fresh.     I was very impressed with that one.    

Didn't he say they were in the freezer section?

Yes, they're in the frozen dinner section. I didn't realize it was a single serving.

My Publix store only carries the wrap with the lemon garlic hummus. The hummus was very fresh tasting and flavorful but I thought it overpowered the falafel.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I've been having the Tahdah wraps for awhile now - I want to say at least 2 years. They are extremely good. My mom, who can be a little picky with what she eats, just CHOWS DOWN on these.

Where do you buy them? WF?

I knew as soon as the Minus Cal people started their pitch, Mark would be all over them.  Fine, he can make his points then shut up and let others listen it they want to.  

That said, the older guy doing the pitch irritated the heck out of me, and I felt bad for the younger guy.  I really hated that they were both claiming it would help you lose weight, and that they didn't claim that.  The "makes you" vs "helps you" wasn't cutting it for me.

• Love 1

I get that Mark is a real Noisy Nora every time he thinks someone is trying to defraud the American people with some woo, but Robert can take all the seats with his “ugh!!! I was gonna invest, but then I got high Mark started saying bad things. I’m out. Mark is a bad man! Everyone point at him.” Go out on the pitch, tell Mark he’s being an asshole, but don’t blame one thing for the other happening, guy.

Kevin getting up and telling the spoon girl to sit in his seat did actually cut through to my icy little heart.

• Love 4
On 10/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I've been having the Tahdah wraps for awhile now - I want to say at least 2 years. They are extremely good. My mom, who can be a little picky with what she eats, just CHOWS DOWN on these.

Me too. Have been buying them for about 5 years. I'm in DC area so maybe it was local product for a while since the guy is from DC.

Was glad to see some product I know. I also love Kind bars so was glad he got deal from the founder.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, Spunkygal said:

Where do you buy them? WF?

I get them from Peapod grocery delivery that I believe is part of Giant grocery store. 

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, Whimsy said:

I absolutely cannot stand Mark. I was so happy when Robert told him his arrogance affected the pitch. But, why couldn’t they then explain all the stuff Robert wanted to hear?  That’s unfair for Mark to steamroll over the inventors because he won’t shut his big fat, know-it-all mouth. That said, I don’t buy into that particular product, but Mark just needs to go out and then keep his mouth shut. He acts as if he’s the savior of mankind by shooting all these products down. 

I'll be honest.  I know a LOT about losing weight and I have finally found the magic formula (for me at least) and it's by eating real food.  More of some, less of others, etc.  No supplements (other than vitamins), no shakes, no bars, no cookies.  I am also extremely skeptical of a product like this, but I would have just said that I was out and shut up and let the other sharks do what they want.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:23 AM, nutella fitzgerald said:

Kevin getting up and telling the spoon girl to sit in his seat did actually cut through to my icy little heart.

Mine too actually.  I have seen Kevin act human a few times both here and on Dragon's Den in Canada and sometimes I think that he really does have a heart, lol.  I didn't think that the spoon was amazeballs, but it's exactly the type of thing that will sell very well on QVC, and that little girl was as sharp as a tack.  I think that she has a good future ahead of her.  $50K investment by Lori for half the company is chump change that will likely turn a huge profit.  That little girl will have a nice college fund in no time.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, aemom said:

I'll be honest.  I know a LOT about losing weight and I have finally found the magic formula (for me at least) and it's by eating real food.  More of some, less of others, etc.  No supplements (other than vitamins), no shakes, no bars, no cookies.  I am also extremely skeptical of a product like this, but I would have just said that I was out and shut up and let the other sharks do what they want.

Me, too, lol.  I just lost 30 lbs by eating real foods like you describe above but I didn't want to get too off topic.  I hated everything about that pitch with what I've just learned and gone through.  But, Mark was still completely out of line. 

• Love 1
On 10/10/2019 at 12:26 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

OMG, I thought the young guy was going to have a panic attack or break down right there. He looked SO uncomfortable.

He looked sooo nervous . Mark was out of line , but that guy was an asshole . 
Kevin will come out with his “ you’re dead to me “ one liners but he actually sits and listens to the entrepreneurs full presentation without interrupting . Mark never really seems to listen , he just judges straight out of the gate 

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 12:49 PM, rhys said:

That fat blocking minus cal reminded me of a product that was on the market awhile back. Led to diarrhea. Yep that's how the fat slid out of ya! I appreciate Mark's take charge attitude with these snake oil sales reps.

Lol, was that Olestra? I remember those "Wow" chips that used to be everywhere. I ate them all the time in college, thankfully the 'anal leakage' issue never occurred, but they did disappear off the market, so it must have been a problem.

That said, the older guy doing the pitch irritated the heck out of me, and I felt bad for the younger guy.

OMG, I thought the young guy was going to have a panic attack or break down right there. He looked SO uncomfortable.

On the one hand, I can't entirely blame the guy for getting pissed off at Mark, who was being truly obnoxious, but it just went too far. That poor young guy wanted the floor to open up and swallow him.

That pitch was one of the most awkward things I've seen on this show. Every time I thought it hit rock bottom, it just spiraled further down. 

I don't mean to be shallow, but I think one of the things that hurt their pitch from the start was that the older guy still seemed to have quite a few extra pounds on him. It's hard to pitch a product that promises weight loss or fat blocking when the pitch person isn't exactly svelte. 

I was just relieved that the Sharks never went there (or if they did, it wasn't shown) because it kinda felt like the elephant in the room (no pun intended). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rhys said:

Yes! Olestra -- great memory. Anal leakage. Oh my gosh, what an unfortunate term.

Alli is still on the market and is a drug that does just what they are claiming their product to do- it stops the absorption of certain percentage of fat from your diet... but because that fat isn't absorbed it means really greasy poops and can also cause leakage and diarrhea.  

• Useful 1