Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Kuipeia e ka makani apaa (Knocked Flat by the Wind; Sudden Disaster)

• Start Topic

Tani and Junior must plot an escape for themselves and several civilians after they become trapped inside a deadly tunnel collapse, while Five-0 investigates the cause and culprits of the cave-in. Also, Eddie the dog uses his field experience and sniffs out a bomb that has been planted in McGarrett’s home.

Original Airdate: October 4, 2019

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=53510

I know they have to get Junior and Tani in the tunnel somehow but their decision to go into the unstable tunnel with nothing but the clothes on their back and no lines of communication to first responders was just the dumbest thing ever.  They weren't providing anything to those caught in the tunnel collapse besides moral support.  Just put them further along in the traffic so they're in the tunnel and blocked in by vehicles behind them and problem solved.

• Love 1

Yeah the tunnel thing was out of touch and not realistic. But really glad to see Eddie turned into the true hero. He and Steve have been very inseparable. 

Wonder who it is that wants to kill Steve? Either a former Seal that has a grudge against him possibly is all I am thinking of.

• Love 1

So many of the things were just shockingly incompetent, even for Five-0. Not noticing that the rope was being frayed? How would you NOT think to look for that? Also, how about when Tani was dismantling the fan and threw a piece down to the ground and it landed right next to the woman on the ground! It's just oddly incompetent.

Also, it was weird how they set the couple up for some character growth and they DID give them some, but stress SOME. I think that was one of those signs of the trouble of the ever-shrinking running time of network dramas. The episode was barely over 40 minutes long (under if you took out the theme song) and when you cut, it's character moments like stuff between the couple that get cut first and foremost.

3 hours ago, Mars477 said:

their decision to go into the unstable tunnel with nothing but the clothes on their back and no lines of communication to first responders was just the dumbest thing ever.

Many, many first responders were killed on 9/11 in the exact same manner and I interpret this scene as a tribute to that kind of heroism. They have no priority other than people need help right now and they will run into a burning building/collapsing tunnel etc. because that's what they do even if hindsight compels us to note that it might not be the wisest choice.

3 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah the tunnel thing was out of touch and not realistic. But really glad to see Eddie turned into the true hero. He and Steve have been very inseparable. 

Wonder who it is that wants to kill Steve? Either a former Seal that has a grudge against him possibly is all I am thinking of.

Eddie totally earned that steak and Danno is selfish for griping about it. You were in the restaurant business a season or so ago Danny. Cook your own damn steak. And get a haircut! We need a line about how Danno's hair is like that because his daughter bribed or paid or dared him to do it like that and he loves her too much to fix it until she lets him.

Steve's mystery bomber cannot be douche-dude from the previous episode simply because the team is so convinced it is him and they are always wrong when they make assumptions like that. It's either the CIA gal from last season or it's some relative of the lady who tried to shoot McGarrett in the previous season finale.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

or it's some relative of the lady who tried to shoot McGarrett in the previous season finale.

It'd be so hilarious if they just keep sending wave after wave of that guy's relatives to try to kill Steve over the next couple of seasons.

The CIA lady from last year (Agent Greer) was set up so well to be a recurring villain, but then, like this show does so often, they killed her off fairly abruptly. 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It'd be so hilarious if they just keep sending wave after wave of that guy's relatives to try to kill Steve over the next couple of seasons.

The CIA lady from last year (Agent Greer) was set up so well to be a recurring villain, but then, like this show does so often, they killed her off fairly abruptly. 

Did they? I don't even remember that. In that case, I will modify my theory. Eddie set the bomb because he's been a good boy and McGarrett has been neglectful. All he wants is a steak. Jesus Steve, get it together.

• LOL 4

I was sitting there staring at my TV screen when the majority of Tani and Joon's original "helping" was to say, "Get out of the car, and go that way."

Eddie saved the entire episode.

When I first saw Rob Morrow, I knew he had to play a bigger part than, "guy who got his car stolen" but still thought he had little screen time. Now I see he's going to play a bigger role, which makes sense.

I think it's good when they split up the team, so Adam is actually a part of the team now.

• Love 1

That lady was mad chill for having 2 broken legs and being moved around my Junior. She should be in some kind of pain. 

Lol at the electrocuted guy that needed to get to the hospital asap and he was 4th from last up the rope. You would think the people with major injuries would be the first up but not for the 5-0 team they go last. 

Edited by notcreative enough
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Oh dear, Eddie's a true member of this team. Switches from bomb-sniffing to disaster dog without so much of a blink. Not that these are highly specialized skills that need a lot of training.

I'm sure the rescue and first responder teams of Hawaii will be thrilled with the portrayal they got. First it takes them ages to arrive. When Tani called the collapse was already in the news but they hadn't made it there and it certainly did not look as if it was far away from the city.

Then they arrive and their solution to the problem is to dig through the rubble of an emergency exit - and even there they are useless and way too slow until SuperSeal shows them how to use a shovel. And of course they don't have a team with disaster dogs on location.

Ensue lots of handwringing about oxygen and electricity until SuperSeal furrows his brow over the tunnels schematics to realize that all they need to do is lift the lid over a vertical shaft over the air supply system.

But we're not finished yet, first it takes the half-conscious disaster victim to point out that they can't hoist her up between the ventilator blades (even SuperSeal didn't notice) but apparently those losers don't have any tools with them to deal with those ventilator blades. So Tani has to do it - without a helmet - using her Swiss Army knife. We're still not finished, those folks working the hoist/pulley whatever (at least they were wearing helmets) don't notice that the line gets caught on a sharp edge. Even worse - they have a line that can lift a married couple and the show's designated next couple but not two guys *eyeroll* And of course Junior (also not wearing a helmet, dammit) survives that drop without any major injuries.

But hey at least the electrical engineering in that tunnel was state of the art. The lighting remained working after two explosions. And I've never seen such good lighting in any tunnel and I've been through a few. Strangely enough even the emergency lighting (lets not get into the details how idiot with a jackhammer managed to find the main line in the rubble) was perfect - almost as if a professional lighting crew had set it up for filming.

I'm too exhausted to deal with the villains plan to escape by collapsing a tunnel. Let me just say I'm surprised that the Hawaiian PD had at least some sniffer dogs for hunting the villains. Maybe someone realized airlifting Eddie into the jungle would have been overkill. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

So can somebody 'splain this?  Super bad dude is tied up in the jungle--his enemies arrive with a big gang and are ready to load him into a vehicle when 5-0 and HPD arrive and amazingly (not for 5-0) every one of the gang members is quickly killed with not a scratch to the rescuers.  When he realizes that all of his captors are dead, super bad dude runs off into the jungle.  Should be easy to round him up, right?  Just send a couple of cops on his trail before he gets away.  He can't have more than a hundred yards head start.

WRONG!!!  Somehow SBD not only gets away, but gets so far ahead of 5-0 that he manages to locate his brother and cheating wife, kill them both, and collect the brother's bag of money, then disappear again.  When 5-0 finally arrives we learn that the brother and wife were killed about 20 minutes ago.  How did SBD get that huge head start? 

• Love 2

Can Quinn just walk off her post to moonlight with 5-0?  Did she just fake an illness or something?  And she's an enlisted soldier, not an officer, so why did the soldier she pulled over call her sir?  Just show her getting off of duty instead of in the middle of it and problem solved.

First alerting on explosives and then acting as a pro search and rescue dog?  And then he changes hats to be a tracking dog.  Eddie is quite the Renaissance Pup.  The writers know that these are two separate jobs for dogs and require entirely different training sets, right?

Still, he's a very good boy.  I hope the dog(s) who portrayed him got lots of pets, since wearing all that gear was probably pretty tough.

Quinn and Danny's snark was pretty great, actually.  

Steve telling the S&R crew to "work faster" and then grabbing a shovel when caution is the primary concern is Very Helpful.

The final shootout wasn't very interesting.  Guess they're saving their budget or good action directors for later in the season.

• Love 1

At the backyard cookout, Danny was looking at Quinn in an adoring way and since she's the female Steve, I was reminded of that episode of Seinfeld where George was dating a woman who looked just like Jerry, which made him worry that he was secretly in love with him.

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, Mars477 said:

I know they have to get Junior and Tani in the tunnel somehow but their decision to go into the unstable tunnel with nothing but the clothes on their back and no lines of communication to first responders was just the dumbest thing ever. 

It's Five 0. I think we're past any of them using any sense.

• Love 2

I like how Five 0 isn't even remotely qualified for something like this but just immediately take over. OF COURSE there's no risk management protocols to inspect the rope or have a redundancy.

I was going to complain that Katrina Law was reduced to exposition on the phone, so I'm glad she just showed up and was active.

She's been more useful in 2 episodes than Adam ever.

I'm like - if the dog falls I'm flying to that set and punching out the producers.

Yes, fuck you Danno, the dog eats better than you. Call Dominos you whiny bitch.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

I know that there are many story and logic inconsistencies, but I really enjoyed this episode.  Especially recognizing the heroism of the dog.  Like a previous poster, I like it when the team is split up-there are more interactions and opportunities for the different characters to have more promenance.

• Love 3

Really it is one of the very rare times I disliked Danny as Eddie did deserve the steak and one of the very few times I liked Steve as I think he can be such a selfish and arrogant as really think just because he is a super control freak Seal, it makes him out to be a jerk than being super!

BTW I want more Steve and Lou interactions. As they do not bicker and whine. But if they do if it all in good fun. Sure the McDanno thing is lessening that but love more McGrover than McDanno!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And of course Junior (also not wearing a helmet, dammit) survives that drop without any major injuries.

And a blast from the C-4.  Junior should've been paralyzed at that point.  Looks like all he sustained was a sprained wrist.  Gotta love how these characters can simply shake it off.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And of course Junior (also not wearing a helmet, dammit) survives that drop without any major injuries.

What struck me as particularly odd about that bit is that they really sold the fall as BEING a bad one, right? They made it look REALLY rough and then it was like, "Eh, just shaken up a bit." 

• Love 1

Eddie really is a good boy.  Good boy, Eddie!

I'm kind of stuck on the bomb being planted in the infamous Champ toolbox.  I think there is some significance to that, that was not random.  Is that Shelburne I smell on the horizon?

On 10/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I like how Five 0 isn't even remotely qualified for something like this but just immediately take over. OF COURSE there's no risk management protocols to inspect the rope or have a redundancy.

I was going to complain that Katrina Law was reduced to exposition on the phone, so I'm glad she just showed up and was active.

She's been more useful in 2 episodes than Adam ever.

I'm like - if the dog falls I'm flying to that set and punching out the producers.

Yes, fuck you Danno, the dog eats better than you. Call Dominos you whiny bitch.

LOL😂😂😂. Thank goodness you're deeply livid 😤😡 at the totally fictional character as portrayed per a script written by tv show writers.  Breathe, lol!