Type keyword(s) to search

The Nevarro News: The Mandalorian in the Media

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I think that Corey from Kessel Run Transmissions is getting people hyped for Disney's quarterly earnings call as though it is some sort of media/press event.  It' a business thing, not a fan thing or a press thing.  It's exactly what it sounds like -- it's a boring call about earnings over the previous quarter.   The calls largely focus on the theme parks (because a huge chunk of Disney's revenue comes from the parks), with a fleeting reference to Disney+ projects thrown in.  The last earnings call in early May was pretty dull, with the exception of Bob Chapek talking about the theme parks and how they were planning to reduce capacity when they reopened.  It's not like a platform for big, splashy Star Wars news. 

Even in the earnings call back in early February, before COVID-19 really kicked in and everything was looking bright and hopeful for 2020, Bob Iger just mentioned the Mandalorian Season 2 premiere month in passing (as well as "more Mandalorian" after Season 2 and more characters added in), as he was talking about other things coming to Disney+ (that had already been announced).

So there is going to be a lot of theme park talk, and talk about Disney's various endeavors in the travel and hospitality industry.  They have taken a big financial hit this year, with so many of their businesses being closed at the same time.  Right now, Disneyland is still not even open, the Disney Cruise Line is not running, and the attendance at the 4 Disney World parks is really low (way under what the current low capacity is).  Aulani is closed.  Hong Kong Disneyland had to close down again.  The Bobs (Chapek and Iger) will probably be doing damage control on that front.

However, because 2020 has been so terrible, I wouldn't be shocked if they DO mention the things that ARE working well for DIsney right now -- in passing, during the course of the call, but not necessarily in a big "BREAKING NEWS!" sort of way.  I would not be shocked if one of the  Bobs drops the premiere date of Season 2 of The Mandalorian in passing, or possibly mentions when the Mando S2 trailer will come out.  And they'll remind people again that there are other Star Wars & Marvel series coming up (that we have already heard about).  However, I would be very surprised if they revealed any info that is not already known in some way.  Maybe they could -- I could be completely wrong --  but I am not counting on it just because it's not really the right scenario for big breaking news.

But... Celebration would have been happening at the end of this month, so there are announcements (official confirmations of various things, and things we didn't already know) that would have been made at that time.  I can't picture Disney using a business earnings call to announce too much, BUT maybe there will be announcements trickling out throughout the month.

Still no premiere date for Mando, S2 -- just another confirmation from Bob Chapek that it is premiering in October, which we already knew.  No big news beyond that as far as The Mandalorian goes -- or even as far as Star Wars goes -- in today's quarterly earnings call, as Corey from Kessel Run expected there would be.  If any Star Wars announcements come out this month, they're not related to an earnings call as much as they are related to Celebration and what would have been announced there if the event had happened.

They did talk a lot about Disney+ in this call, but the biggest announcement was about Mulan airing there soon (for a price), and the assorted Marvel projects we've already heard about coming at some point.  It almost seemed as though they were purposely holding back on too much Star Wars talk -- although Bob Chapek did mention Mando's 15 Emmy nominations.

By the time of the next earnings call, in early November, Mando S2 will be running and Disney will probably have numbers and data about how many people watched the Season premiere in October.  When they see how many people tuned in, hopefully they will confirm a 3rd season at that point.

So, as I suspected, we didn't really learn much that was new or previously unknown -- because an earnings call is just not the right platform for that kind of thing.  It's a business call, not a TCA Press Tour.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

I will point out that Noah and Corey from Kessel Run recently speculated -- it was not a rumor.  At that time it was only their guess -- that the Mando Season 2 trailer might premiere during the NBA Playoffs because they thought that Disney liked to drop teaser commercials during the Super Bowl and other sporting events.  In no way was the info verified or even a rumor at that point -- they only speculated.

So I don't know if something has changed to where a credible source said there would actually be a trailer during the NBA Playoffs, or if the "guess" that Noah and Corey offered up has been turned into a rumor just for kicks.  

In any case, the canceled Celebration would have taken place on August 27th - August 30 of this year, not on August 21st or 22nd.  But that doesn't mean that whatever would have been shown or announced at Celebration couldn't come out anytime this month -- or even next month.  The Celebration news items and videos don't have to be confined to 8/27 - 8/30.   So who knows?

"The Mandalorian Season 2 Trailer Debuting During First Round Of NBA Playoffs I LRM Topshelf Rumor" 

"Will Disney Undercut DC FanDome With A New Mandalorian Trailer?"

"The Mandalorian Season 2: First Trailer Rumored For NBA Playoffs"  

Also, from the Hollywood Reporter....

"'The Mandalorian' Most In-Demand Original Across New Streaming Services"

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

The Mandalorian season 2 trailer airing during a TV sports event actually makes a lot of sense to me.  And doesn't Disney own that sports channel too? Advertising synergy.

I am itching for season 2 stuff.   I have seen every episode of Mando with the green bean  multiple times. 

As someone who has zero interest in the actors personal lives etc. the pickings are awfully slim right now.

I want a new image of Baby Yoda. 

2 hours ago, magdalene said:

The Mandalorian season 2 trailer airing during a TV sports event actually makes a lot of sense to me.  And doesn't Disney own that sports channel too? Advertising synergy.

I am itching for season 2 stuff.   I have seen every episode of Mando with the green bean  multiple times. 

As someone who has zero interest in the actors personal lives etc. the pickings are awfully slim right now.

I want a new image of Baby Yoda. 

Yes -- They own ESPN and also ABC (although ABC is not a sports-specific network, obviously!).  And now they own Fox too, so that expands the possibilities. 

If Disney decides to really frustrate us, they could wait until the Emmy Awards air later in September to premiere the Mando S2 trailer -- because the Emmys (the main ceremony, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel) are airing on ABC, and, as we know, Mando is up for a lot of awards.  Award shows are common places for new commercials and trailers to premiere.

August was always the most likely time for some sort of a trailer, simply because of Celebration -- although how long of a trailer is a mystery -- but, whenever it drops,  I suspect that we will know about it before it airs.  I don't think it would just randomly air with the hope that people catch it.   In other words, I expect that the Star Wars, Disney+ and Mandalorian accounts on Twitter and Instagram will alert us by posting something like "Tune in on such-and-such day to see the world premiere of the Mando Season 2 preview" or whatever.  Maybe they'll even post the video on social media first.  But we will likely get a heads up about it premiering before it actually airs on TV (wherever that ends up being).

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

Well, Hickel doesn't strike me as mean-spirited.  It could be nothing nasty.  And would Disney really allow them to kill off their big cash cow aka Baby Yoda?

But I agree there is some big thing coming that we don't at all anticipate.

Maybe Moff Gideon captures the baby and pulls him to the dark side?

• Love 1

My bet is on Baby Yoda force choking Moff Gideon, or if that's too dark, somehow saving Mando's life from Moff. Or maybe the baby says his first words, or is given a name, or sees Mando's face for the first time. There are lots of things it could be, and I'm hoping it's nothing negative!

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

My bet is on Baby Yoda force choking Moff Gideon, or if that's too dark, somehow saving Mando's life from Moff. Or maybe the baby says his first words, or is given a name, or sees Mando's face for the first time. There are lots of things it could be, and I'm hoping it's nothing negative!

Ahsoka and Bo-Katan have to show up and kill Moff Gus. The reaction they want is to hype the audience for the announced spin-off...

From Star Wars News Net --

"Jon Favreau Claims ‘The Mandalorian’ Season Three Is Not Likely To Be Delayed By COVID-19; Dave Filoni Reveals George Lucas’s Reaction To Series"

Excerpt...

That doesn’t necessarily mean that the third season will arrive in 2021. Indeed, the plan, prior to the pandemic, appeared to be to allow both the untitled Cassian Andor series and the untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi series to take the spotlight; however, both shows are likely to arrive in 2022 instead. If The Mandalorian‘s third season does not arrive next year, then it will be up to animated Star Wars series, along with Marvel’s own shows, to keep Disney+ subscriptions coming in. It will be interesting to hear about the production window on the third season of The Mandalorian, as no news on that has arrived since it was revealed to be in pre-production, and it’s still possible that a 2021 release date could be possible for the third season, but for now, we have to be prepared to wait.

From We Got This Covered --

"The Mandalorian Season 3 Likely Won’t Be Delayed By COVID-19"

Excerpt...

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Favreau was asked if the Disney Plus series’ heavy use of virtual sets will ensure it can avoid any COVID-19-related problems. The EP confirmed this, going on to talk about how the way the show is put together in post-production to such an extent makes it easy to avoid large groups of people on set, which means it should be able to go ahead as normal.

"The fact that the set is much more contained is a benefit, because you can limit the number of people. A lot of the people controlling it are doing it remotely from what we call the Brain Bar, which is a bank of gaming computers, essentially. The amount of people near the camera could be much smaller than [usual]. We also shoot a lot outside, which is helpful, too. We build to a moment in filming more like an animated production, where we have a lot of storyboards, a lot of discussions and scouting in virtual reality. We use cinematic tools in VR much the same way we did for The Lion King and The Jungle Book. A lot of times the actors you are seeing on the screen aren’t actually there on set.”

Also, from Schmoedown Entertainment Network (there is some salty, R-rated language in this video, just so you know!)...

"Kevin Smith would be hesitant to direct an Episode of THE MANDALORIAN"

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Anduin said:

There'sone way to find out, I suppose. What time in what time zone is this game played?

Lakers Game.  9 pm.  Pacific time. ESPN.  Can that be right? I never watch these games.  

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Lakers Game.  9 pm.  Pacific time. ESPN.  Can that be right? I never watch these games.  

Thanks. I'm not a sport person by any stretch of the imagination, except rollerball and jugger.

• Love 1

I've heard the opposite -- that Grace Randolph is not a reliable source of info.  I watch her YouTube channel occasionally, and she has never revealed anything that others haven't already said.  Some other people on YouTube that I watch don't have great things to say about her info.

But, even if Grace is right... not everyone has ESPN, let alone watches it, so I have a hard time believing that Disney is going to choose that channel to premiere the Mando Season 2 trailer and not premiere it anywhere else on the same day (unless it's just a generic little teaser and not a real trailer).  That's why I think it will turn up on their social media pages, or perhaps on ABC, as well -- whenever it drops, whether it's tomorrow or another day.

Keep watching the social media accounts for both Disney Plus and The Mandalorian, and see if they drop any hints about the trailer.  They have to know that not everyone is a sports fan, so they might have to nudge people over to ESPN if that's actually where a real trailer is airing!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I've heard the opposite -- that Grace Randolph is not a reliable source of info.  I watch her YouTube channel occasionally, and she has never revealed anything that others haven't already said.  Some other people on YouTube that I watch don't have great things to say about her info.

But, even if Grace is right... not everyone has ESPN, let alone watches it, so I have a hard time believing that Disney is going to choose that channel to premiere the Mando Season 2 trailer and not premiere it anywhere else on the same day (unless it's just a generic little teaser and not a real trailer).  That's why I think it will turn up on their social media pages, or perhaps on ABC, as well -- whenever it drops, whether it's tomorrow or another day.

Keep watching the social media accounts for both Disney Plus and The Mandalorian, and see if they drop any hints about the trailer.  They have to know that not everyone is a sports fan, so they might have to nudge people over to ESPN if that's actually where a real trailer is airing!

She is not the only one who is saying this though.  I have been seeing that the trailer drops either tomorrow or Saturday at all the usual suspects. There is another Lakers game on Saturday.

Where did the trailer for the first season premiere?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magdalene said:

She is not the only one who is saying this though.  I have been seeing that the trailer drops either tomorrow or Saturday at all the usual suspects. There is another Lakers game on Saturday.

Where did the trailer for the first season premiere?

Oh, I've definitely seen all of the speculation and predictions and rumors and supposed reports from inside sources and what not.   I see all of the Mandalorian tidbits online - Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, you name it.   I follow all the accounts of people who deliver Star Wars news -- even if I can't remember the names of all of their accounts!  lol  

The NBA Playoff thing started out as speculation.  I'm not saying that Disney won't air a trailer on ESPN too, but I'm saying that I highly doubt Disney would choose ESPN as the only place to premiere it (exclusively).  That would be ridiculous because a lot of people who don't have the channel or don't care about sports would miss it.  And if they are premiering it there only, I think there will be a warning or alert of some kind first.  Otherwise, I think they would probably also run it on ABC, Fox and other channels they own -- and then post it on social media for everyone to see.

But it's possible that this so-called trailer is nothing more than a short teaser, with a larger trailer coming sometime later.   Maybe it will at least give us a season start date, if not much else.  A date would be good.

There was a Star Wars Celebration last year, in the Spring (in Chicago), and there was a D23 convention in August, in Anaheim.   I assume that clips or trailers were shown at each event.  I think there were two trailers, and at least one of them started airing on TV in August, right at the time of D23.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

This may sound silly, but I make a habit of saving Star Wars trailers to my HD. The first Mandalorian trailer is dated 24.8. In America, that would be Friday the 23rd. The second is 29.10. So this new one looks to be right on time.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Anduin said:

This may sound silly, but I make a habit of saving Star Wars trailers to my HD. The first Mandalorian trailer is dated 24.8. In America, that would be Friday the 23rd. The second is 29.10. So this new one looks to be right on time.

Not silly at all!  And I'm gad you did, as it helps us to have the reference.

Last year, D23 happened in August (there was a Mandlorian panel) -- so that was the reason for a trailer release in that month.   If there had not been a D23 in August last year, I wonder when the first trailer would have aired.  Maybe not until the fall.

At Star Wars Celebration in Chicago last year (in the spring), there was a Mando panel.  I thought the audience was shown a clip or some sort of teaser, but that it may have just been exclusive to guests and not something released on TV.   Or maybe they were shown nothing.   (Last year was confusing because there was a Celebration and a D23 in the same year, which is not common.)

I remember hearing someone say very recently that there were 3 trailers last year, but I only found evidence of two at a quick glance, without digging too deep.  So a 3rd one may have been just a short teaser clip shown at the springtime Celebration, with the first major trailer saved for D23, but I'm not sure.

This year, as we know, Star Wars Celebration was supposed to have happened at the end of this month -- the very last weekend of August.  No D23 this year.  So there would have been a trailer and other info or news coming out surrounding that, even though the event was canceled.   If there had been no Celebration planned for August this year, I wonder when the trailer would have premiered.  (I can hear the voice of John Campea -- whose show I watch on YouTube -- in my head, saying "Season 2 is starting in October.  Of course there's going to be a trailer coming soon!"  lol)

So August was a key month for trailers both last year and this year, simply due to D23 and Celebration, respectively. 

However, next year is going to be interesting.  lol  Not only are we not sure if Season 3 of Mando will even be filmed in time to be on the air in 2021 (see what I posted in the Spoiler thread last night, for more info about why production could take even longer -- which seemed to have flown under the radar on social media and is probably fake info anyway), but there is no Celebration until summer 2022, and I'm not entirely sure that D23 will happen in 2021 at all, as it normally would have.  So there might be no big August events to showcase a Season 3 of Mando in 2021 at all, and we're not even sure if Mando Season 3 is planned for 2021 (the focus was more on Marvel's TV shows in the recent quarterly earnings call for Disney).  

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

See Updates above, as of just over one hour ago.  ^^

Could the "behind the scenes issues" simply be that the trailer was never supposed to air this weekend at all, and that mere speculation turned into rumors somehow?  Celebration would not have taken place until next weekend.  I would have expected to see the trailer around next weekend, give or take a day, so of course it's coming "soon."  lol Then again, maybe it has really been delayed and won't air next weekend either.

Seriously, after this info and the incorrect info that there were going to be big announcements during the quarterly earnings call for Disney (I knew that the earnings call info would not pan out), I am thinking that people's speculation is turning into rumors and leaks that people believe.  And when one source reports something, other people pick up on it and report on it too, and then before you know it, so many people have reported it that people think it's true.

I think this guy might have the right idea...

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

Well, I am never trusting any of these so-called "sources" again.  I am pissed at myself for believing these liars. What if the October air date is also a lie?

I am very disappointed.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, magdalene said:

What if the October air date is also a lie?

All live / principal filming was completed for all episodes before studio lockdown...Post production was eventually completed, so October IS THE WAY...

Edited by paigow
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

Yes, I looked it up.  Disney themselves said that season 2 was coming in October. I guess I will believe the trailer is coming when Disney says it is.

Yes.  The confirmation of the season premiere coming directly from Bob Chapek, Disney, Jon Favreau and anyone official like that is definitely credible.  Of course, even after things are announced they can be delayed --  but I don't think the premiere of S2 will be delayed.  The trailer might still be delayed -- it might not even air during the Celebration weekend -- but I hope they don't do something crazy like premiere it during the Emmy Awards (on ABC), which is exactly one month away.  A small delay is OK -- but not late September, for the love of God!  lol

I would not be shocked if there is one main source -- probably one of those guys who was leaking supposed Season 2 plot spoilers -- going around and giving info to Grace, and to the KRT guys and anyone else who reports on Star Wars news.  If they each don't reveal their sources, they might not realize that they all have the same source!  lol  So the people reporting the leaks and news mean well, but people probably give them bogus or unconfirmed info from time to time, and then they look bad when that info turns out to be incorrect.

• Love 2

Well,  as soon as I read Emmy Awards in your post I got this sinking feeling - what if they air the trailer then.  After all the show is nominated for 15 of those.

You would think they would throw the poor fans a bone and drop the trailer during Celebration weekend considering nobody is celebrating this year.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

but I hope they don't do something crazy like premiere it during the Emmy Awards (on ABC)

[Interior: Disney Conference Room]

Exec 1: Who has a good idea for launching the Mandalorian trailer?

Intern: Make a YouTube commercial with Favreau announcing that it will be added as a post-credit scene to Mulan. Guarantee an extra million subscribers.

• LOL 3

The boys at Kessel Run Transmissions are at it again.  LOL   They say they're going to stop trying to give scoops after the last two things they scooped turned out to be incorrect.  BUT they claim that this info came from a source who is 100% accurate/reliable.

It's nothing shocking.  It's just that Ahsoka will be featured in some of the Mando S2 promotion -- possibly a trailer or teaser, but maybe something else.  She is fighting two unnamed characters in a "familiar location."

That's it.  That's all.  A clip of Ahsoka will be featured in some sort of Mando S2 promotion.  If you want to watch their video, it's here...  **BUT BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE SOME KENOBI SPOILERS TOO** --, so if you don't want to hear those, don't watch the video.

If you want to skip the video, read this article about the video!  LOL

"The Mandalorian Season 2: Rosario Dawson Rumored to Have Filmed Ahsoka Tano Scene for Marketing"

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

I don't trust any "scoops" anymore.  I am checking the Disney+ twitter periodically.  I figure anything would be announced there first.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a trailer until sometime in September - if there is a trailer at all.

• Love 2

At the last second, I stumbled upon a virtual interview Gina Carano was doing today (on Twitch).  I don't know how I didn't hear about it before, I but I caught it in the nick of time.

Gina couldn't talk much about Season 2, of course, but she did say that she knows people/fans want spoilers.  (Gina, are you secretly lurking on Reddit and on this forum? 🤣 She said, essentially, to trust her that we do not want spoilers.  She said that if there is anything good to come out of 2020, it is The Mandalorian -- and she wants us all to experience it without knowing what's happening. 

At one point she said something along the lines of "... And it's just the beginning of something much bigger."  (Hmm.  I wonder what that means... an actual Mando feature film, perhaps?  Or maybe she means the rumored spinoffs?)

Gina also went on to talk about how much she loved working with everyone on the set, and how she has made some lifelong friends from the crew.   She is lucky to have worked with them every day.  She said she is so grateful to Jon Favreau to have given her the opportunity to do this show.  She loved putting on Cara's outfit.

I hope Gina is in Season 3.  Maybe, just maybe, she will end up in one of the spin-offs or in some other Star Wars project, which would be great, but I'd hate for her to lose a job it sounds like she really loves.

• Love 2

Now Grace Randolph is at it again.

#Mandalorian S2 Trailer Update - here’s the latest tea:

#Disney didn’t like trailer & delayed it to be re-edited.

Also they have problems with the season overall - reshoots but also I hear a BIG problem but no details on that just yet, looking into it.

I'm not buying it.   I'm sure Disney has been aware of what was happening in Season 2 all along, and they had seen footage before just recently.   I can picture them not liking the trailer and wanting it changed, but they have undoubtedly seen footage of the season all along, during filming.

This is going to be one of those rumors that picks up steam and outraged viewers will assume it's a fact.

Edited by TVFan17

Well, this latest Grace Randolph info has got all of the usual Star Wars news/leakers/scoopers-sorts of people coming forward and saying that they don't buy it either. 

And I just saw this tweet as well:

• Love 2

2020 has been awful and Mandalorian in general and Baby Yoda in particular has been one of my happy places.  So if somebody is stirring the shit for clicks or trying to create trouble for the production I hope karma bites them in the ass.

I have been looking forward to the second season the whole year. Dammit.

I have been thinking about this.  Maybe the "big thing"  - if there is such a thing - is not the show itself but something to do with one of the cast.  Maybe someone connected with the show has done something that Disney is having a problem with, and enough of a problem to "shift" or course correct....it better not be some petty shit like Gina's nude photo from earlier in the year.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, magdalene said:

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1301158108740296707/photo/1

From Disney+

New episodes of Mandalorian start streaming October 30.  The photo is a new graphic I think.

Posting at the same time, grins.

I fully expected something to already be posted in this thread!  I checked first and didn't see anything, so I thought "OK, I'll just post it."  Then, as soon as I clicked the button to submit it, I saw the notification that you replied to the thread!  lol

Anyway, at least now we get to see Baby Yoda in the marketing and promotion for the season, unlike with Season 1.  I like the look of the Mandalorian letters against the coloring of the sky.  Of course, that seems to debunk one of the so-called earlier spoilers right away -- I think that someone said in one of those (probably bogus) spoiler rundowns that the new logo was green.  This one is clearly not green.  Not that there is anything wrong with green, but these letters are not green.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I fully expected something to already be posted in this thread!  I checked first and didn't see anything, so I thought "OK, I'll just post it."  Then, as soon as I clicked the button to submit it, I saw the notification that you replied to the thread!  lol

Anyway, at least now we get to see Baby Yoda in the marketing and promotion for the season, unlike with Season 1.  I like the look of the Mandalorian letters against the coloring of the sky.  Of course, that seems to debunk one of the so-called earlier spoilers right away -- I think that someone said in one of those (probably bogus) spoiler rundowns that the new logo was green.  This one is clearly not green.  Not that there is anything wrong with green, but these letters are not green.

Am I imagining this or does Baby Yoda look a bit taller in this graphic?

1 minute ago, magdalene said:

Am I imagining this or does Baby Yoda look a bit taller in this graphic?

We may both be imagining it, but I thought the same thing.  He looks a wee bit taller compared to Season 1.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Do you own a mere Echo Dot but think it has no pizzazz? Amazon now has the solution!

A "Child" Echo Stand. (Yes, I can't believe this is a thing, either!)

ETA: Whoops! I see it is a bundle. To get the stand, you must purchase an Echo Dot. Something to think about, I guess?

And this is a special edition Echo Dot that ALWAYS transmits your conversations to the Amazon Death Star cloaked in orbit around Mars....

• LOL 4
On 9/1/2020 at 6:03 PM, Anduin said:

Hopefully they decided there was too much Baby Yoda and told Favreau to cut back. I doubt that's the case, but I can hope.

There can't be too much Baby Yoda for me!  Even Robert Rodriguez said that he is the biggest star in the universe.

• Like 1
  • Love 4