Type keyword(s) to search

The Nevarro News: The Mandalorian in the Media

• Start Topic

Here in Los Angeles we are now required to wear face masks or coverings when we go into grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants or any essential businesses where there are other people.  Some businesses will even refuse service to those who are not wearing masks.

I am not going out and am having all my groceries delivered, but at some point, sooner or later, I will probably have to go out, even if it's just to go across the street to get a meatball sub at Subway.  lol   And when I do, you can bet I am going to make sure I have a cute mask on my face! 

Introducing the Baby Yoda face mask....

"Baby Yoda face mask is totally the world’s most adorable PPE"

I should point out that the above-shown mask is only one of several designs I have seen.  Yesterday I was looking at a variety of Baby Yoda face masks with different photos or artwork on them, for different prices, and some of them were black.  But they were sold on a site I was unsure about.  I am always hesitant to order from sites that don't seem well-known or official. 

Here is another face mask page (one of the pages I originally linked is no longer valid or active right now) --

https://babytheyoda.com/search?q=baby+yoda+face+masks&type=product

I wish Disney would hurry and jump onto this Baby Yoda face mask bandwagon, because at least I would feel better about ordering from their official site.

In any case, I will probably bite the bullet and just order the one on Etsy!

Also... I love this Baby Yoda ornament from Hallmark! - https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/keepsake-ornaments/star-wars-the-mandalorian-the-child-ornament-1999QXI6254.html

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

It's not Season 2, but it's something new regarding The Mandalorian!  Eight episodes of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (a documentary) are coming up, starting on May 4th!!  I think we've seen snippets and clips from it in the past, but this is the whole  series.

"Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian Announced by Disney+!" -- https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1131439-disney-announces-disney-gallery-the-mandalorian-series

ComingSoon.net says:

Topics this season include the filmmaking process, the legacy of George Lucas’ Star Wars, how the cast brought the characters to life, the series’ groundbreaking technology, the artistry behind the show’s practical models, effects, and creatures, plus the creative influences, the iconic score, and connections to Star Wars characters and props from across the galaxy.

From Twitter --

From Phil Szostak, who is part of Lucasfilm --

And... I see people complaining on social media because this is a documentary series, when they'd prefer original content.  I saw someone griping about how Disney is milking The Mandalorian a second time.  Um.... do they not realize that we are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic and we are lucky to get ANY new content pertaining to The Mandalorian right now?  The Mandalorian was a huge breakout hit for Disney+.  Season 2 could very possibly be delayed from premiering if the post-production can't be completed yet.  Isn't something new/different pertaining to this series better than nothing right now -- especially in the middle of a pandemic and global shutdown?

Also, Disney+ just launched in November.  They were in the process of lining up their next original series (for Marvel and Star Wars), but, again, things got delayed due to the pandemic.  They'll create other original series, but, for now, they have one big hit series on their hands, and now they are giving us a documentary series all about that series -- and I will happily be watching every episode of it!  The more Mando and Baby Yoda in my life, the better!

This documentary series is a bonus for fans of The Mandalorian, and I don't see why or how anyone could be unhappy about it.

Also, this is an unconfirmed bit of info/rumor of Ming-Na Wen/Fennec Shand's return in Season 2, but it would be believable (and expected).  Also rumored to appear are Sandtroopers and Imperial Gunners --

"EXCLUSIVE : Ming-Na Wen Returns, More Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 2 Details"

Ming-Na was supposed to be part of the PaleyFest L.A. Mandalorian panel scheduled for March 22nd, which was cancelled.  I could not understand why she would be on the panel if she was just a "one and done" character on the show.  I always expected to see her again, either in a flashback or in some sort of episode where we will find out she wasn't actually dead at the end of Chapter 5.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I'm super excited for the documentary! Even if it takes away some of the mystique, give me all the extras!

I read this on EW:

https://ew.com/tv/rosario-dawson-ahsoka-tano-mandalorian-season-2/

So it sounds like season 2 shouldn't be delayed.

Yes, I did see that article. 

Truthfully, none of these entertainment publications know what is going to happen because we have never experienced a global shutdown like this before, where everything is closed and no one is working in groups, nor allowed to work in non-essential settings.  It's honestly too soon to know what is happening and if anything will premiere in October.  Disney does not hesitate to delay or postpone things when they need to.  I'm sure they are holding off on doing that yet because it's too early. 

But I think it's irresponsible for any entertainment publications (EW or any other of that sort) to say or imply/suggest that something will air without interruption when we have never been in this situation of extended closures and shutdowns around the world before.

It's important to note that anything that happens after principal photography and before the premiere of a movie or show is considered part of post-production.  So that could include work on the soundtrack.  It could include visual effects.  It includes editing and ADR.  It could include re-shoots.  It could include random Zoom meetings with writers and showrunners, execs, etc.  There are many moving parts involved in the post-production process.  Some of the post-prod work might have actually been happening as they were still in production, though, which would be good.

A show such as The Mandalorian has a lot of visual effects, and the post-production work is more involved than it would be on, for example, a 2-hour Hallmark movie of the week with no visual effects.  But even some 2-hour Hallmark movies of the week have had their post-production tasks interrupted, and not everything can be done remotely.  They've had to delay or postpone the premieres of a couple of their movies because of this issue.

The Walking Dead is the best comparison to use, as it is also a series with a lot of visual effects, much like The Mandalorian.  TWD's season finale was filmed last year.  It was scheduled to air this month.  It was not able to air this month because there was one remaining part of the post-production process that could not be completed remotely.  This was explained by the writer/showrunner on an episode of Talking Dead.  She talked about how there are a lot of things that go into post-production, and some things just cannot be done remotely for a show like that.  They can do a lot remotely, but not everything.  So their season finale can't air until they can get back to working out of the house and finish post-production!  lol

And I would imagine that it is the same issue for The Mandalorian -- they can do a lot of things remotely.  But they cannot do everything remotely -- especially when they were not prepared for all of this.  Their principal photography/filming just wrapped up right before the world shut down, so they had very little time to figure out a solid game plan.

Here in California, certain things will start to reopen soon, but with restrictions.  And not everything will reopen yet.  It's all very tentative and confusing, and the time frames and rules are not entirely clear.  I know that some actors and producers don't think they'll be able to get back to normal shoots on their own series and projects by July, but I don't know if that's accurate.

Hopefully, the post-production tasks that cannot be done remotely will be able to be accomplished in a few months, without restrictions, and Season 2 can air in October.

But Entertainment Weekly is not Dr. Fauci, nor the people running California/Los Angeles, nor the showrunner/writer on The Mandalorian, nor the person/team responsible for the visual effects, nor Bob Iger and Disney+.  So they don't know for sure when anything is airing, or if some of the visual effects work can be done remotely.  We'll just have to wait for the word from someone actually involved in the series and hope for the best!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

‘The Mandalorian’ Season 3 Already in the Works at Disney Plus (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-mandalorian-season-3-in-the-works-disney-plus-1234586103/#article-comments

Sources close to the production have confirmed that creator Jon Favreau has been “writing season 3 for a while,” and that the art department, led by Lucasfilm vice president and executive creative director Doug Chiang, has been creating concepts for Season 3 “for the past few weeks.”

“We’ve just started pre-production and are looking into further adventures for the Mandalorian in Season 3,” revealed one source.

Not really a surprise at this point, but any news about this show makes me happy!

• Love 3

Making Star Wars is the source who previously reported on the *rumored* appearance of Jamie Lee Curtis in Season 2, although, to their credit, they were clear that the info was not confirmed yet.

So now MSW is saying that it seems less likely that JLC will appear in Season 2 due to a scheduling conflict of some sort.  However, they claim that she even had costume fittings...

"Star Wars: The Mandalorian’s third season is in production and a Jamie Lee Curtis/Biehn update!"

MSW says this:

Jamie Lee Curtis?

I have a small update on Jamie Lee Curtis which I ran with extreme caution as a rumor a few weeks back. I’ve been told that Curtis was on the set, involved, but the role may have fallen through due to a movie scheduling conflict.

However, I’m told she had read the scripts, had costume fittings and meetings about her look and they could even do her action figure today if they had a reason. A source I trust more than anyone said that there was talk of having Curtis emerge in season two and she would pop up in season three. There was some “secret” small crew filming and it could have taken place then for the second season. But it should be noted the role fell through at one point and I don’t know for certain she’s making an appearance or if their alternate plans are in motion. So if she does emerge in the series, it would be smaller and then larger eventually, most likely in season three. But season three hasn’t filmed yet so there’s no confirmation it went that way.

The Curtis story in totality is absolutely true. I think we should keep an eye on her making it into Star Wars in one way or another. There’s little bits of information I haven’t been able to crack at a level I could responsibly report right now. Who got the role Curtis was up for? Did the role change? These little bits would let us know how likely Curtis is to emerge in another role. Something similar happened with John Leguizamo and the first season but so far I haven’t heard if John Leguizamo is to be involved in the second season (there’s been no cross-talk at all on that front for the record).

Based on what Making Star Wars says now, IF any of that is accurate at all, it sounds as though there is still a slight chance we could see Jamie Lee Curtis pop up at some point, though it may not be in Season 2.  I don't see why she would have been having costume fittings done if there was a scheduling conflict preventing her from filming.  She should have known (before she ever had a fitting at all) if she was going to be able to film a scene or two, or if there would be a conflict.  So IF she actually had those fittings done, it certainly sounds to me as though she is going to be on the show sooner or later, in some season or another.

Speaking of which, if JLC is NOT in Season 2 of the show, then what was the "'secret' small crew filming" referred to in the MSW article?  That part makes me curious.  What was so top secret that it could only be filmed with a small crew (which I have heard of happening with other TV shows when there is a key scene that is supposed to be kept under wraps until it premieres, and they want as few people on the set as possible)??  It sounds like it would either be a development that is really crucial to the series, or possibly a cameo appearance of epic proportions (Luke Skywalker? Original Yoda as a Force ghost?).  Interesting. 

We'll see how much of this Jamie Lee Curtis rumor pans out, if any of it.

• Love 1

I can't wait for this documentary series.  I also can't wait for Season 3, whenever it premieres (because who knows when it will be able to film?).  I have now seen people on social media complaining about both the documentary and about Season 3 -- even though Bob Iger already said there would be more Mandalorian after Season 2 in the quarterly earnings call for Disney back in February.  It should not be a shock to any of the complainers that Season 3 is happening, and that Jon Favreau is writing it now.  Clearly these shows need time to be put together and some tasks have to get started in advance.

But I don't see any reason to complain!  What could possibly be the problem with giving Mandalorian fans more content from or about the show they love, especially now?  I'm excited for the documentary series, and for Season 2, and for Season 3, and for all of the Mandalorian/Baby Yoda merchandise, and for whatever else they want to give us!

Here is the trailer for the documentary --

Also... There have been so many great Baby Yoda/Mandalorian memes since the world shut down due to COVID-19.  I follow a handful of Instagram accounts that churn out the memes every day.  Some are funnier than others;.  Some are uplifting and hopeful.  Some are just adorable.  Some are sassy.  Here is one of my favorites, because it's just soooo sweet!

From the babyyodaitmemes page...

And.... Actor Sam Witwer explains how he could have possibly ended up playing a role in Season 1 of The Mandalorian.  And he also teases Season 2 (although I don't think he is in Season 2)!

"EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW PART 4: Sam Witwer talks The Mandalorian Season 2, Being Up for a Role in Season 1, Mandalorian Culture, and Easter Eggs in the Show"

An excerpt from the SW Holocron article --

“There are things that [Dave Filoni] has coming in The Mandalorian Season 2 that are going to blow people’s minds. Because the thing is that Dave and George always had the same instinct when it came to this.”

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

I saw this floating around on Twitter and on Instagram, and I have no clue if this is accurate information or not, nor do I know if the source who originally posted this info on Twitter is credible or legitimate. 

After the bogus so-called teaser trailer for Season 2 that conveniently popped up on 4/20 (and featured teenage Yoda smoking pot!!!), I know that people will essentially post anything and try to pass it off as real.

Anyway, here is an article about the supposed, unconfirmed titles of the episodes in Season 2, and the author also mentions where he originally got the info --

'The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode Titles Revealed" (from Movieweb)

Here are the rumored titles of Season 2's episodes (again, not confirmed or official at all -- it could be totally fake or inaccurate info)...

Chapter One: The Search

Chapter Two: The Confrontation

Chapter Three: The Bounty

Chapter Four: The Republic

Chapter Five: The Loyalist

Chapter Six: The Sorcerer

Chapter Seven: The Return

Chapter Eight: The Empire

And a different article, about how Season 2 secrets are hard to come by (and Pedro Pascal is not giving out any info!) --

"The Mandalorian Star Is Protecting Season 2 Secrets as If They Were Baby Yoda"

An excerpt from the article --

As it turns out, we can all expect Pedro Pascal not to say much. "They can expect me to not talk about it at all," he says. However, Pascal did go on to say that the reason he's being so secretive is, "so they [fans] can experience the second season in the same way they experienced the first - that sort of awe and surprise. It's pretty wonderful."

And an interview with Pedro Pascal --

"'The Mandalorian' star Pedro Pascal says meme popularity of Baby Yoda was 'no surprise' (exclusive)"

An excerpt --

Pascal, who portrays the title character in the series, told Yahoo Movies UK that he knew from the first time he saw concept art that The Child would blow up online.

“I can’t bring myself to lie and be like ‘we had no idea of the sensation that he would be’,” the 45-year-old said.

“We never talked about it being a sure thing, but I unconsciously kept to myself that the very first time I saw the image in the illustration during that first meeting, I was like ‘oh my God, people are going to lose their mind over that’.”

Another excerpt from the interview with Pedro --

Once you’d taken on the role, what are the challenges of playing this character and acting within that suit? Is it always you in the suit?

There’s like four of us. There are things that I can’t do. There’s a very improvisational way of shooting the show. You kind of discover what’s safe and what’s not on a daily basis. More than anything, I wanted to make sure that there’s at least a basis of a physicality and a physical language that we’re all in understanding with.

Therefore, an incredible stuntman like Lateef Crowder can bring the part of him that’s agile and dangerous and a looseness of movement from Brendan Wayne. I try to carve out as much as I can a physical language that is conducive to carrying an audience through a scene.

I would say that’s the greatest challenge. You don’t know if there’s too much stillness like a stiff mannequin or too much movement, so you look like a bobble-head. Then, of course, creating the right kind of vocal energy for every detail to coincide with the story. It’s very obviously a more technical endeavour than anything I’ve ever done. So much so that it’s fascinating.

Then of course, if you feel like you really don’t know what you’re doing, you know it won’t make a difference. You have all of the greatest experts and the most talented people in the industry in every department. Ultimately, they’re shaping the show. It’s really their show.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

Yay!  Disney finally got into the official mask-selling game (in America)!!  Of course, now that I have already ordered my unofficial Baby Yoda mask, they put out an official Baby Yoda/the Child mask.  But that's okay.  When the masks are in stock (they may already be sold out now, but I have seen conflicting reports about that), I will buy the one they are selling (in the pack of 4 Stars Wars-themed masks) because it's so cute.

Article from the Disney Parks Blog -

"Disney Introduces Cloth Face Masks and Donations for Families and Communities in Need"

Link to pre-order the masks -

https://www.shopdisney.com/face-masks/?EFC_871350&CMP=SOC-IG_att_20200430_Mask

From Instagram -

And here is another article from the Disney Parks Blog --

"5 Tips for Navigating Life with the Child Ahead of the Premiere of Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian"

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
(edited)

Now that people who are actually working on the post-production for Season 2 (director Rick Famuyiwa and animation supervisor Hal Hickel) are speaking up (instead of just random entertainment journalists posting their assumptions and guesses without backing them up), I am much more hopeful that we will see Season 2 this year, in the fall (hopefully still in October, but November is good too)!!!!  Yay!

The challenges presented by working remotely (and dealing with many visual effects) are referenced in these articles...

From Variety -- "How ‘Westworld,’ ‘The Mandalorian’ and Other Shows Are Coping With Post-Production in the Pandemic"

And another article -- "The Mandalorian Season 2 Supervisor Promises Baby Yoda In Post-Production Update"

A quote from Hal Hickel...

“A big tentpole summer film, like say ‘Avengers,’ might be around 2,000 visual effects shots, and these series are a little shy of 4,000 visual effects shots for season 1, and season 2 is no different,” Hickel says. “We’re doing them in around the same amount of time, maybe even less time, than a big summer film, plus we all have to work remotely. We’re in the middle of that tsunami now, but we’re going to get it all done, people are going to get their Baby Yoda, I promise.”

And here is an article with photos from the new documentary series (premiering on Monday!) --

"The Mandalorian: 20 New Images From Disney+ Docuseries Revealed"

Moff Gideon is now in the Funko Pop family --

"Funko has even more Baby Yoda and The Mandalorian Pops in town"

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4
(edited)

Robert Rodriguez conveniently chose May the 4th to confirm that he is, indeed, one of the directors involved in Season 2!

Peyton Reed also confirmed his involvement...

Also... although the title of this article linked below indicates that there are spoilers to be found, there actually are NOT any real spoilers.  It is misleading.  The only bit of actual info the IB Times is giving us is that actor/stunt guy Sala Baker (who was in Chapter 4 of Season 1) let it slip that he will be in Season 2.  However... IB Times admits that they are not sure if Sala is playing the same role he played in Season 1, or if he is playing a new character.  

Everything else in the article is pure speculation and jumping to conclusions, not actual information.  They are basically just guessing, but misleading people to think they have romance spoilers (in the title).

However, read at your own risk -- even though this article is almost all speculation and not actual spoilers, you might not want to read it.  I won't quote any of the text.  I will just post the link...

From IBT (IB Times) --

"'The Mandalorian' Season 2 Spoilers: More Romance At Familiar Planet"

So far, the confirmed/official directors for Season 2 are:

Jon Favreau

Dave Filoni

Carl Weathers

Rick Famuyiwa

Robert Rodriguez

Peyton Reed

If there are 8 episodes in Season 2, then there are either going to be 2 additional directors involved (for example, Bryce Dallas Howard has neither confirmed nor denied if she is directing again), or a couple of them are directing 2 episodes each.  When Peyton's name was first mentioned a while back, the rumor was that he was directing 2 episodes, but that has not been confirmed.

And, so far, the actors who are confirmed to be appearing in Season 2 are:

Pedro Pascal

Gina Carano

Carl Weathers

Giancarlo Esposito

Rumored -- but very likely -- actors appearing in Season 2 are:

Rosario Dawson (as Ahsoka Tano)

Emily Swallow (as the Armorer)

Michael Biehn (as a bounty hunter Mando knows)

Ming-Na Wen (probably as Fennec Shand again)

Bill Burr (as Mayfeld)

Sasha Banks

Sala Baker (not sure if he is reprising his role from Chap. 4, Season 1)

Temuera Morrison (as Boba Fett)

Rumored, but not as certain, to appear in Season 2 or Season 3 are:

Jamie Lee Curtis

Taika Waititi was at one point rumored to be involved in Season 2 in some way, but no one knows if it's as a director, actor or producer.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Child... is a Chia Pet! 

I also saw the adorable Baby on the front of a General Mills cereal box too -- and the cereal had little green Child-ish pieces in it -- but I thought the Chia Pet was interesting and oddly charming.  I've been out of the Chia Pet loop for a long, long time, so I had no clue that they were even still a thing.

Here is where to order him -- https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/star-wars-the-mandalorian-the-child-chia-pet/ncje00944

Speaking of the adorable little bundle of joy... This Vanity Fair article linked below  explains how Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni wanted the Child to be less cute.  Reading between the lines, to me it kind of sounds like Favreau might not be too happy that Baby Yoda is as cute as he is, and that the cuteness can't be controlled at this point.  It sounds like the whole Baby Yoda phenomenon is a monster that was created, and he can't put it back in the cage.  He's done little things to make it seem as though the Child is so weird-looking and ugly on the show... but clearly the Child is not ugly.

So I think Favreau and Filoni should just embrace the fact that they have a hit show, and the merchandise is flying off the shelves, and people can't wait for Seasons 2 & 3, and the current documentary series, etc. 

However, I fully expect that Favreau and Filoni will find a way to speed up the Child's aging process (after Season 2) so that he grows out of this cuddly, adorable stage and becomes the weird, strange, "uglier" creature they want him to be.  There might be a time jump in which the Child magically begins to get noticeably older very quickly (he might suddenly be old enough and strong enough to train as a Mandalorian!), while Mando continues to age at his normal human rate and is only a couple of years older.

"How The Mandalorian Fought to Keep Baby Yoda From Being Too Cute"

An excerpt from the article -

“We wanted to make sure the Child wasn’t just going to be a comic relief,” explained Favreau—another attempt to honor Lucas’s approach to that galaxy far, far away: “What George had established with Star Wars was that no matter how fantastical these characters are, how weird they looked, the characters within the world always treated them as normal citizens of the world.” Lucas had a knack, Favreau said, for making characters like R2-D2 “just cute enough” that every Star Wars fan might believe they were the only one who found a “trashcan with one eye on it” cute.

But avoiding the cutesy trap was something of an uphill battle for Favreau, who found that the classic “Disney proportions”—think big round eyes and cuddly features—kept being applied to a character he wanted to keep as weird as possible. “All the drawings originally were very cute,” Favreau recalled. “Even with the merchandising, they were always trying to soften the rough edges on him. We really tried to look at how much we could ugly up all the different individual features.” Favreau and Filoni insisted the Child have “weird little hairs growing out of him.” They rejected designs that attempted to pink up his little cheeks, or make his teeth cuter. They opted, instead to make the teeth jagged and sharp—all the better to suck down a living frog.

The Mandalorian team also used sound design to keep the Child as weird as can be, opting for creature noises instead of the classic coos of a baby. The frog-swallowing in season one may only be the beginning of the “gross things” the show will let the Child do in order to underline the idea that in the end, he’s still an animal. “It’s like a stray dog or having a little baby alligator or something,” Favreau said. Then again, a baby alligator probably never sold this many toys.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

They should just let the child be the adorable creature he is.  And I love his weird little hairs. I don't think he is too "cutesy" and I don't want him uglied up.  And neither I suspect does Disney.

• Love 5

I'm going to paraphrase an article I only half-remember from a couple of months back. Large grain of salt. It compared the success of the kid to Gritty and Baby Nut. The first two are labours of love, and we embrace their imperfections. Nut was clearly created by a marketing team and designed to be cute. The internet reacted with annoyance at this shameless attempt at hype. The article also said that if the kid stops looking wonky, gets more polished, people will reject him. Kind of, perfectly imperfect.

Of all the Star Wars movies that have been made, no one trashes the original original. Many people dislike this or that other one. Some people don't even like TFA. The original has reused footage, clunky lines, and a conclusion that in hindsight doesn't actually work that well. But we all love it because of the wonky moments, and we wouldn't want to change them. Perfectly imperfect.

Is this making any sense, or have I completely lost the plot?

• Love 4

I don't really understanding Favreau comparing Baby Yoda to an animal, or the article stating "underline the idea that in the end, he’s still an animal." Clearly the original Yoda was not an animal, and neither is Baby Yoda. Also, I hope they don't try to age him up.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I don't really understanding Favreau comparing Baby Yoda to an animal, or the article stating "underline the idea that in the end, he’s still an animal." Clearly the original Yoda was not an animal, and neither is Baby Yoda. Also, I hope they don't try to age him up.

I don't get the comparison either.  That statement really bothered me.  And the comparison to an alligator??  The child is a baby but he has shown that he wants to protect Mando. He wants to heal people.  He has affection for Mando.  How much empathy and affection is an alligator going to show you?

Of course, there is a school of thought that basically we are all animals, including us humans. Maybe he meant that.

I don't want Baby Yoda aged up for a good long time and I don't want him ruined so Favreau can satisfy his desire for "ugliness".

Can't we have nice things?

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, magdalene said:

and I don't want him ruined so Favreau can satisfy his desire for "ugliness"

Ewoks and Porgs... anybody still like them? Chewbacca always in style.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, paigow said:

I will love Ewoks until the day I die. 😁 They hold a special place in my heart since ROTJ is the first Star Wars film I remember seeing when I was a child.

How cute is this Baby Yoda mug that the season 2 crew received?

https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ge7d5a/mando_season_2_crew_gift_has_two_sabers_clashing/

Also, people are saying that the dark saber clashing with the regular light saber on the patch could be a season 2 spoiler.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I guess it was inevitable: General Mills introduces Mandalorian/Baby Yoda cereal!

I had a box of the TFA cereal once. That was quite enough. It was sharpish in the mouth and didn't taste nice either. I can't imagine it was especially healthy. This stuff... looks soft and full of sugar. Just as bad, but in a different way.

However. While I hate to do other people's marketing slogans for them, Marshmandalorians.

• LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I guess it was inevitable: General Mills introduces Mandalorian/Baby Yoda cereal!

Yeah, that's the cereal I mentioned above, in my Chia Pet post.  I saw the photo then.  I just didn't post it because I had already posted quite a few things.  The green shapes just barely resemble the head shape of The Child, but it's a cute idea, for sure!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/5/2020 at 9:41 PM, pezgirl7 said:

If they are going to rapidly age him, I hope they wait until the final season to do it.  I've read a few other comments here and there (but not many) from viewers who said they hope the Child ages a bit in Season 2.  They want him to get out of the toddler stage and start talking and saying things to Mando.

Having the Child talking to Mando would change the whole dynamic and vibe.  Unless he has the cutest voice ever, and unless he says something sweet like "Papa," it is risky.  They'd have to handle him talking very carefully.  They've lured in many viewers because of this young child's baby-ish ways, which include babbling, giggling, cooing and making odd little sounds and what not.  If he suddenly started having full conversations, it could be weird. 

On 5/5/2020 at 7:12 PM, Anduin said:

I'm going to paraphrase an article I only half-remember from a couple of months back. Large grain of salt. It compared the success of the kid to Gritty and Baby Nut. The first two are labours of love, and we embrace their imperfections. Nut was clearly created by a marketing team and designed to be cute. The internet reacted with annoyance at this shameless attempt at hype. The article also said that if the kid stops looking wonky, gets more polished, people will reject him. Kind of, perfectly imperfect.

Of all the Star Wars movies that have been made, no one trashes the original original. Many people dislike this or that other one. Some people don't even like TFA. The original has reused footage, clunky lines, and a conclusion that in hindsight doesn't actually work that well. But we all love it because of the wonky moments, and we wouldn't want to change them. Perfectly imperfect.

Is this making any sense, or have I completely lost the plot?

When I first saw Baby Nut earlier this year, my main thought was... "Oh, they're trying to make something cute enough to compete with Baby Yoda/The Child."  Sure, Baby Nut is cute in the most basic way, I suppose.  But he is no Baby Yoda!  If they were hoping to create the same sort of pop culture phenomenon with Baby Nut, they failed.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:57 PM, magdalene said:

I don't get the comparison either.  That statement really bothered me.  And the comparison to an alligator??  The child is a baby but he has shown that he wants to protect Mando. He wants to heal people.  He has affection for Mando.  How much empathy and affection is an alligator going to show you?

Of course, there is a school of thought that basically we are all animals, including us humans. Maybe he meant that.

I don't want Baby Yoda aged up for a good long time and I don't want him ruined so Favreau can satisfy his desire for "ugliness".

Can't we have nice things?

Alligators are not very cuddly and lovable either! 

I suppose that Favreau means that we might think a baby animal or a baby alligator is cute, but then they do something gross (like a cat will bring in a dead bird or whatever) and remind us that they are animals at the end of the day. 

So... is that supposed to make us think that Baby Yoda is not as cute?  I guess Favreau thinks that by having the Child scarf down a frog or Force choke someone, we will suddenly think he is less cute.  Meanwhile... despite the frog-swallowing and the Force choking, and despite the little hairs on the Child's head, he is still adorable! 

I have a feeling that Favreau has probably had all sorts of ideas to ugly up the Child (or make him less cuddly) behind the scenes, and he has probably had some of his ideas shot down by Disney more than once.  For example, he might have wanted a Force choking scene in a different setting, where it wasn't clear that the Child was trying to protect Mando and was instead just being bad.  And I can picture Disney shooting that idea down and making him change the scene with the Force choking to be more about protecting Mando than about being evil.  lol  Disney knows their brand, even if Star Wars is part of their whole empire now, and they will want to keep the Child lovable and adorable enough for people to still want to buy all of the merchandise.

I remember Bob Iger (who was the CEO of Disney when The Mandalorian was in development) saying something about how Jon Favreau was yelling at him, or biting his head off (can't recall the exact phrase he used), when he referred to the Child as Baby Yoda, because Favreau did not want him to be called that under any circumstances.  So I think that edict was passed along to the cast and crew of the show -- no one could refer to the Child as Baby Yoda -- until it became clear that there was no way to avoid it anymore, and they just had to go along with it and let people call him Baby Yoda.  Favreau was probably not happy, but it couldn't be stopped.

Favreau is integral to creating this show and making it what it is, and he and Dave Filoni have a lot of great ideas.  But I think he had a very clear vision of what he wanted, and he probably did not get his way on certain things.  lol  Some of his wishes were probably squashed.  And in the case of wanting to ugly up the Child, he was just wrong! 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, callmebetty said:

Funny how Favreau wanted to ugly him up by making his teeth pointy. It only made him more adorable with his little teeth.

It sounds as though Favreau wanted a green, younger version of Stitch (from Lilo & Stitch).  Baby Yoda's teeth are precious -- they are not off-putting at all.  Whether he is laughing or not, whenever the little teeth briefly appear, it only makes him cuter. 

On 5/6/2020 at 6:02 PM, paigow said:

I still have a plush Ewok (which I got sometime back in the '80s or '90s), sitting on top of a closet next to a plush Gizmo (from Gremlins).  Long ago I used to think nothing could be cuter than the Ewok and Gizmo... and then the Child came along and changed my mind! 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I remember Bob Iger (who was the CEO of Disney when The Mandalorian was in development) saying something about how Jon Favreau was yelling at him, or biting his head off (can't recall the exact phrase he used), when he referred to the Child as Baby Yoda, because Favreau did not want him to be called that under any circumstances.  So I think that edict was passed along to the cast and crew of the show -- no one could refer to the Child as Baby Yoda -- until it became clear that there was no way to avoid it anymore, and they just had to go along with it and let people call him Baby Yoda.  Favreau was probably not happy, but it couldn't be stopped.

Favreau should have given him an actual name, then. He only has himself to blame.

And to further my last comment about cereal, I think a better name would be marshmandos.

• Love 5

I find it hard to believe they didn't think people would find Baby Yoda adorable.  The concept art created shows the cutest little being in the universe and even shows his little feet.

Now I just need to see if he has cute little brown underwear like my Disney Child and Build a Bear child have on

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think it's not so much that they (Favreau, Filoni, Disney, etc.) didn't think people would find Baby Yoda adorable.  They knew that people would fall in love with him once he was created in the version we now know and love.  It's just that Jon Favreau didn't want him to be that cute in the first place, it seems -- and I am thinking it's very likely that Disney fought him on that (wisely so)!  lol 

I even remember reading an article at one point that mentioned that Jon Favreau wanted the music/score in the Child's scenes to not be cute or funny, because the Child was already "overly cute" and they didn't need to play it up beyond that.  So he was very insistent that there would be no cute music to enhance Baby Yoda's scenes.  It seems like he might have lost that battle for Chapter 5 though, because the music is lighthearted and playful when Peli (the mechanic) first meets the Child after he sadly waddles down the ramp of the ship, with his pouty cheeks puffed out, after being left behind by Mando!  lol

Both Bob Iger and Pedro Pascal have said that they pretty much knew right away that people would go crazy over Baby Yoda when they saw him, but, of course, no one could say anything about him.  Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni and Disney went to great lengths to keep the Child a secret, so he was never mentioned in any of the press or promotion for the show before it premiered -- all because they wanted the moment he first appeared onscreen to make a big impact (and it certainly did, so that was a good call on their part!).  Some viewers had a whole different idea of what the show would be like -- the overall tone of it -- because they had no clue that there would be this sweet little scene-stealing Yoda-esque character who was a big part of the Mandalorian's story.

I was just watching a portion of a YouTube interview with Yoshi Vu, who worked on some of the visual effects for Chapter 4 of Season 1 (I think he might be doing something for Season 2 as well, but I missed part of his interview so I'm not sure).  A lot of the scenes for TV shows are filmed out of order, and the episodes themselves are filmed out of order, and so Yoshi caught glimpses of Baby Yoda from other random episodes and concept art before he started his own work, and he -- as a Star Wars fan -- was surprised and amazed.  There was no context to any of it yet, as he had no idea which scenes were airing in which episodes, or which concept art went with which episodes, or the order in which the episodes would be presented -- but Yoshi knew right away that people would fall in love with the Child.  (I think the first scene Yoshi worked on in Chapter 4 was the one in which Mando takes off his helmet to eat by the window, and Baby Yoda is seen toddling around outside with the Sorgan village children.)

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I know a lot of people will be happy about this appearance. 

Personally, I have been hoping that this show would just stay focused on new characters specific to The Mandalorian and not become a revolving door of familiar characters from other Star Wars-related properties.   I was already thinking they were veering off of the path I wanted them to stay on with the Ahsoka Tano appearance (which was apparently intended to be officially announced at Star Wars Celebration in August -- an event that is probably going to be canceled, but has not been canceled yet), and now this news makes me think they are straying further from that path.  (I am one of the few people on the planet who could not care less about Boba Fett!  lol)

But... again, I know this will make a lot of viewers happy and get them to tune in, and I guess that's the goal of the people who make the show.  So, I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3

I'm excited for Boba! I hope he gets to actually interact with Mando. I also hope he keeps his helmet on. Boba needs to keep some mystery about him. Going by the movies, he should look like Jango since he was a clone, but I have a different headcanon.

On 5/8/2020 at 5:49 PM, TVFan17 said:

I know a lot of people will be happy about this appearance. 

Personally, I have been hoping that this show would just stay focused on new characters specific to The Mandalorian and not become a revolving door of familiar characters from other Star Wars-related properties.   I was already thinking they were veering off of the path I wanted them to stay on with the Ahsoka Tano appearance (which was apparently intended to be officially announced at Star Wars Celebration in August -- an event that is probably going to be canceled, but has not been canceled yet), and now this news makes me think they are straying further from that path.  (I am one of the few people on the planet who could not care less about Boba Fett!  lol)

But... again, I know this will make a lot of viewers happy and get them to tune in, and I guess that's the goal of the people who make the show.  So, I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best!

Yeah, meh. Although I love The Mandalorian, I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the Star Wars franchise. This does nothing for me. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This casting news -- IF it turns out to be accurate -- does not surprise me.  I have suspected it for a few months because I saw some signs or small clues pointing to Katee Sackhoff being involved.  (I almost mentioned her name here the other day, and decided not to until more info came out.)  At least it's out there in an article now.

This scoop came from /Film (Slash Film) --

"Exclusive: ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 2 Recruits Katee Sackhoff to Play Bo-Katan in Live-Action"

From Deadline --

"‘Mandalorian’ Season 2: Katee Sackhoff To Play Live-Action Version Of Her ‘Clone Wars’ Character Bo-Katan"

And as for those Sabine Wren and Captain/Commander Rex rumors... From EpicStream (via Kessel Run Transmissions) --

"Sabine and Rex to Reportedly Appear in The Mandalorian Season 2"

I'm still not thrilled about this show becoming a 'who's who from the world of Star Wars' situation though. 

---------------------

I couldn't edit my earlier post with the list of confirmed (by Lucasfilm and the cast/crew of The Mandalorian) and rumored directors and actors working on Season 2, so I will post the updated list here:

So far, the confirmed/official directors for Season 2 are:

Jon Favreau

Dave Filoni

Carl Weathers

Rick Famuyiwa

Robert Rodriguez

Peyton Reed (he possibly directed 2 episodes instead of just one, but that detail has not been confirmed)

Rumored directors for Season 2 are:

Bryce Dallas Howard

And, so far, the actors who are confirmed to be appearing in Season 2 are:

Pedro Pascal

Gina Carano

Carl Weathers

Giancarlo Esposito

Rumored/not confirmed by anyone on the cast or by Disney -- but very likely -- actors appearing in Season 2 are:

Ming-Na Wen (probably as Fennec Shand again)

Bill Burr (as Mayfeld)

Sasha Banks

Sala Baker (not sure if he is reprising his role from Chap. 4, Season 1, or playing a different character)

Temuera Morrison (as Boba Fett and possibly also as Captain/Commander Rex)

Katee Sackhoff (as Bo-Katan Kryze)

Someone playing Sabine Wren (not sure who)

Timothy Olyphant (not sure who he is playing, but possibly Ezra Bridger)

Jamie Lee Curtis (who supposedly had costume fittings, then realized there was a scheduling conflict that prevented appearing in Season 2)

Taika Waititi (he was at one point rumored to be involved in Season 2 in some way, but no one knows if it's as a director, actor or producer)

---------------------

There is, of course, heavy speculation and wondering (no legitimate rumors) about whether or not certain other non-Mandalorian-specific characters will appear, such as: Ezra Bridger, some version of Luke Skywalker, Force Ghost Yoda, etc.

There is speculation about whether or not Julia Jones (who played Omera in Chapter 4, Season 1), Amy Sedaris (Peli Motto from Chapter 5), Natalia Tena and Clancy Brown (Xi'an and Burg from Chapter 6), Jon Favreau (Paz Vizla from Chapter 3), etc., will return, but there have been no credible rumors or reports about whether or not they will.

---------------------

Also... adorable new Baby Yoda containers from Pyrex!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
(edited)

I forgot to include this in my post from earlier, about Katee Sackhoff, etc. 

Bob Chapek -- who is about as high up in the Disney ranks as one can go, next to Bob Iger -- is reconfirming and reassuring us that Season 2 of The Mandalorian will not be delayed.  (Yay!)

From The Star Wars Underworld -

"Season Two Of 'The Mandalorian' Will Still Debut In October, Despite COVID-19"

Here is an excerpt from the article, with a quote from Chapek -

Today, Disney's new CEO Bob Chapek spoke with CNBC about this very topic and confirmed season two of the live-action Disney+ series is still in production and will not be delayed. According to Chapek, only films and series that were in the middle of filming when the crisis arose are being affected by the current lockdown.  "Mandalorian was shot before [COVID-19] really hit," Chapek explains. "And so we've been in post-production and there will no delay on Mandalorian."

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
(edited)

These bits of Mandalorian casting rumors and news just keep coming!

From The Hollywood Reporter (although Peter from Slash Film says that he had also been working on this story for a couple of months)--

"Timothy Olyphant Joins 'The Mandalorian' (Exclusive)"

Excerpt --

Timothy Olyphant is the latest actor to be captured by The Mandalorian.

Olyphant, who most recently starred on Netflix’s Santa Clarita Diet, will appear in season two of the Disney+ Star Wars series, multiple sources tell Heat Vision.

It is unknown whether the actor will play a new character or a returning favorite in a new guise.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

Pedro Pascal did an interview with the UK's version of GQ magazine back in March.  It's interesting in that he talks about various things, including being on his own in isolation, away from his family, and the various birds in his neighborhood.  But, of course, he also talks about Mandalorian-related things, including Baby Yoda and Werner Herzog.

Click on the link for full article...

"Pedro Pascal on The Mandalorian, Wonder Woman 1984 and life in isolation"

Here is one excerpt...

He remembers when he first had discussions about the role, he was shown into a room where he first met Jon Favreau, The Mandalorian’s showrunner. It was full of story illustrations for the first series and not one saw the character with his helmet off. “But I liked the idea of the challenge of creating a central character that is compelling without a face,” says Pascal. “But, to be totally transparent, I also saw drawings of this adorable baby Yoda-like creature, so I knew we had an ace in the hole, even if my character wasn’t that compelling!”

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, this is an interesting new twist on the news we already learned about Olyphant's appearance in Season 2 (although nothing has been officially confirmed by the cast & crew of The Mandalorian, nor by Disney or Lucasfilm, so this is all just rumors and speculation for now)...

From Peter at /Film (Slash Film) --

"Exclusive: Timothy Olyphant Will Wear Boba Fett’s Iconic Armor in ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 2"

An excerpt from the article --

Our sources have confirmed to us that Olyphant filmed scenes wearing Boba Fett’s Mandalorian armor for the upcoming second season of The Mandalorian. That might sound confusing because earlier this month it was reported that Temuera Morrison, who originated the role of Jango Fett (Boba’s clone father), had been cast as Boba Fett. So what’s going on here?

If Morrison is playing the role of Boba Fett, then Timothy Olyphant is playing an enigmatic character named Cobb Vanth. Introduced in Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath book series, Vanth is the self-appointed sheriff of the Tatooine-based settlement Freetown. He wears a mysterious set of Mandalorian armor that was acquired from Jawas who scavenged the wreckage of Jabba the Hutt’s sail barge shortly after the events of Return of the Jedi. As you may recall, that was the site of a battle where Boba Fett was thrown into the Sarlacc Pit on Tatooine’s Dune Sea. It’s assumed that the Mandalorian armor purchased by Vanth is none other than the infamous green armor formerly worn by one of the galaxy’s most notorious bounty hunters, Boba Fett.

So the Updated cast/director confirmations & rumors for Season 2, as of 5/19/20, are as follows...

Confirmed/official directors for Season 2:

Jon Favreau

Dave Filoni

Carl Weathers

Rick Famuyiwa

Robert Rodriguez

Peyton Reed (he possibly directed 2 episodes instead of just one, but that detail has not been confirmed)

Rumored directors for Season 2:

Bryce Dallas Howard

Confirmed actors in Season 2:

Pedro Pascal

Gina Carano

Carl Weathers

Giancarlo Esposito

Rumored/not confirmed by anyone on the cast/crew or by Disney/Lucasfilm -- but very likely to be true -- actors in Season 2 are:

Sasha Banks (it is unknown which character she is playing, but she was the first rumored appearance to be revealed this year)

Ming-Na Wen (probably as Fennec Shand again - maybe in a flashback?)

Bill Burr (as Mayfeld)

Sala Baker (not sure if he is reprising his role from Chap. 4, Season 1 -- maybe in a flashback? -- or playing a different character)

Temuera Morrison (as Boba Fett, only briefly & maybe in a flashback, and possibly also as Captain/Commander Rex?)

Katee Sackhoff (as Bo-Katan Kryze)

Someone playing Sabine Wren (not sure who?)

Timothy Olyphant (as Cobb Vanth)

Jamie Lee Curtis (who supposedly had costume fittings, then realized there was a scheduling conflict that prevented appearing in Season 2, so her appearance -- if it happens -- could be delayed until Season 3)

Taika Waititi (he was at one point rumored to be involved in Season 2 in some way, but no one knows if it's as a director, actor or producer)

---------------------

There is, of course, also speculation and wondering (no legitimate rumors) about whether or not certain other non-Mandalorian-specific characters will appear, such as: Ezra Bridger, some version of Luke Skywalker, maybe Yoda as a Force Ghost, etc.

There is speculation about whether or not other Season 1 guest stars such as Omid Abtahi (Dr. Pershing in Chapters 1 & 3); Julia Jones (Omera in Chapter 4); Amy Sedaris (Peli Motto in Chapter 5); Natalia Tena and Clancy Brown (Xi'an and Burg from Chapter 6, respectively); Jon Favreau (Paz Vizla from Chapter 3), etc., will reprise their original roles, but there have been no credible rumors or reports to indicate that they will.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3