Type keyword(s) to search

Pirates of the Caribbean Mafia

• Start Topic

And if she doesn't post soon, she won't be able to use any powers she has during Twilight/Night.  Same for terrymct.   (So if they are Heroes, the Villains will leave them alone toNight and kill one of us talkative ones instead.)

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Snookums' game profile has a gif of a dog with some very blue chemistry set equipment, and later in the profile thread posted a gif with a very blue (azure, even?)  building in it.

Bolding by me

18 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Profile was posted Thursday ~1:30pm ET.    

This I like. 

This is what I'm talking about, the one with the "very blue (azure, even?) building in it." Posted 14 hours ago.

This Gif:

giphy_s.gif

1 hour ago, Lisin said:

Which lead me down a rabbit hole of looking at all the player profiles that could have anything to do with blue and I thought Hmmmm... there's a man who drives a very famous BLUE Police Call Box around the galaxy through time, and lo, Festivus has listed Doctor Who as their favorite show, which lead me to google Doctor Who + Azure and I found this:

I like this theory! If we are correct that the clue is azure, in a story about pirates and their ships - someone who uses a blue ship could be what we should focus on.

1 hour ago, Machiabelly said:

For what it's worth, Statsgirl is 7 on the list of players after the story.

10 minutes ago, Drogo said:

And if she doesn't post soon, she won't be able to use any powers she has during Twilight/Night.  Same for terrymct.   (So if they are Heroes, the Villains will leave them alone toNight and kill one of us talkative ones instead.)

I'm here, reading and feeling like I'm trying to find my way through the deep blue, blue sea.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
44 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I like this theory! If we are correct that the clue is azure, in a story about pirates and their ships - someone who uses a blue ship could be what we should focus on.

I didn’t even think about the ship but you’re right! 

Does anyone else have an opinion?

36 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

What time is the vote?

A vote can start at any time during day by anybody. But if it isn’t completed by twilight, it doesn’t go through.

I'm not keen on a statsgirl DL - but I do think someone with an investigative power should check out either SVNBob or Machiabelly tonight.  

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

What time is the vote?

This is one of the areas where this game varies from the one-night game. During the one-night game the votes are locked at a specific time frame and whoever has the most votes at that time is captured- even if there's only been ove vote cast. 

In this game you need a required number of votes (majority) to complete a David Lynch (DL) and if you don't have that by the time the Day is over you go to Twilight and everyone lives. 

• Love 1

The sky darkens as Day draws to a close and Twilight begins.

You have 12 hours from now to PM the game mods with your Twilight actions if you have them. Please feel free to carry on with game discussion until Night is announced.

The Night story will be posted sometime after the 12hr Twilight window closes - probably sometime tomorrow. Please save Night action submissions until Night falls.

**Reminder - if you didn’t post during Day any unique ability you may have is voided for this Twilight/Night phase.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I'm not keen on a statsgirl DL - but I do think someone with an investigative power should check out either SVNBob or Machiabelly tonight.

1. Explain investigation power please.

2. Speaking of statsgirl, azure is often described as the color of the sky. The color of the sky is the reason the earth looks like a pale blue dot in the famous 1990 photo from the Voyager space craft, which inspired statsgirl’s dinner guest Carl Sagan to write his book Pale Blue Dot. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

1. Explain investigation power please.

Often a player will have what is referred to as an investigative power and they can investigate a fellow player and be told villain or hero. But those can also be blocked at times. But that’s what it refers to. 

There are several types of abilities in each game- investigative and protective are pretty common to all games. 

An investigator may be looking for one particular character (for reasons only they know) or have the ability to see a particular player's alignment (hero/villain) or be able to see what character someone is playing,  or something else like what a player did during the Night/etc.

A protector can select a particular player to be safe from Night kills (villain kills.)

The villain team will typically have these roles as well, which they use to find important characters they want to kill or potentially recruit to their side if a recruit is in play, and protect themselves from investigations or kills from the heroes. They also often have a role blocker to keep certain heroes from performing their special abilities. 

[Neither the hero investigators nor protectors really want to announce themselves in-game, or they'll become primary targets for villains.] They do however want/need to share what they've learned. It's a tricky thing..

• Useful 1

Since Snookums posted that gif after the story had been posted (the gif went up 13 hours ago, story over 24...) I don't think that means anything. 

SHE'S NOT ONLY A VILLAIN BUT A TIME TRAVELING ONE! THAT'S THE MOST DANGEROUS KIND!

I came back to deny everything! I mean....

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Drogo said:

This is one of the areas where this game varies from the one-night game. During the one-night game the votes are locked at a specific time frame and whoever has the most votes at that time is captured- even if there's only been ove vote cast. 

In this game you need a required number of votes (majority) to complete a David Lynch (DL) and if you don't have that by the time the Day is over you go to Twilight and everyone lives. 

I am not sure what makes you think I am dastardly, but there is no harm in checking I suppose. Just a bit of a wasted night/twilight.

• Love 1

PSA for new friends re: SS' post above:

Spoiler

The Night story will mark the end of Twilight and start of Night.  If we had DL'd someone today, the Night story would reflect that kill (or attempt if for some reason the DL'd character was protected or "a two-kill") and if dead, the player and their role/abilities would be listed in the Davy Jones Locker section at the bottom of the story.    

Once the Night story is posted, you'll want to submit your Night action if you have one right away because if you miss the window, it's gone, byebye (ditto this for Twilight actions- submit them as soon as you can, or most likely someone on your team will pay the price for it.) 

Also when the Night story comes up, we all head over to The Bar - no game talk is allowed there, and dead players are allowed to float in and drink/pretend they're not dead for a while.  It's all very Haunted Mansion-y.  

giphy.gif

Once the game mods have everyone's Night actions, they'll enter them into the Magic Mafia Story Machine which will assemble a beautiful story with 1+ clues, and they'll post that.  The MMSM takes a bit of time to work, but who cares, the stories are great and in the meantime we have The Bar. 

When a Day story is posted, it will reflect any kills (+ possibly kill attempts or other Night actions) that happened during the Night and marks the start of the new Day so game talk can resume.  Spoiler alert:  99% chance one of us is dead in the Day story, especially if hero actions aren't submitted.  

• Useful 3
20 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I'm having trouble finding the clues, but learning a lot from reading the discussion.   This is really interesting!

Clues can be really hard to find, so if you're new, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is fun to try, but it isn't something that is easy to do especially if you're learning the rules of the game.

Night 1

Ship Ahoy!

Meanwhile, at Fort Charles, Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony was underway. Jack Sparrow approached the navy dock where two Royal British Navy ships were at harbour. Two marines on guard duty stepped in front of him.

“This dock is off limits to civilians” stated one marine, Murtogg.

tumblr_mh5bvmbGrQ1ro0b3wo1_500.gif

Jack smiled, “I’m terribly sorry. I didn’t know. If I see one, I shall inform you immediately.” and stepped forward to continue.

tumblr_mh5bvmbGrQ1ro0b3wo2_500.gif

The marines moved to block his way once again.

tumblr_mm1aszwqD61qcmptjo4_250.gif

Jack changed tactic, “Apparently there’s some sort of high toned and fancy to do up at the fort, eh? How could it be that two upstanding gentlemen such as yourselves did not merit an invitation?” he enquired.

Murtogg bristled, “Someone has to make sure this dock stays off limits to civilians.”

“It’s a fine goal to be sure but it seems to me that a ship like that, Jack pointed out the Dauntless, makes this one here a bit superfluous, really”

Murtogg grinned, “Oh, the Dauntless is the power in these waters, true enough, but there’s no ship as can match the Interceptor for speed.”

“I’ve heard of one, supposed to be very fast – nigh un-catchable…the Black Pearl.” Jack retorted.

Mullroy chimed in, “Well…there’s no real ship as can match the Interceptor.”

Murtogg clarified, “The Black Pearl is a real ship.”

Mullroy scoffed, “No, no it’s not.”

“Yes, it is, I’ve seen it.” Murtogg argued.

“You’ve seen it?” Mullroy replied with disbelief.

“Yes.”

“You haven’t seen it.” he shook his head.

“Yes, I have.” Murtogg declared emphatically.

“You’ve seen a ship with black sails, that’s crewed by the damned and captained by a man so evil that Hell itself spat him back out?” Mullroy asked with incredulity.

“No. But I have seen a ship with black sails.” Murtogg answered.

During this exchange, Jack took the opportunity to slip past the pair unnoticed.

“Oh, and no ship that’s not crewed by the damned and captained by a man so evil that Hell itself spat him back out could possibly have black sails therefore couldn’t possibly be any other ship than the Black Pearl. Is that what you’re saying?” Mullroy chastised him.

Murtogg replied quietly, “No.”

Mullroy felt vindicated, and stated again, “Like I said, there’s no real ship as can match the Interceptor”

Just then, he realised Jack was gone and began to frantically look around before he spotted him at the wheel of the Interceptor.

“Hey! You! Get away from there.” Murtogg shouted.

They ran up the gangplank on the ship.

“You don’t have permission to be aboard there, mate.” Mullroy said sternly.

“I’m sorry, it’s just - it’s such a pretty boat. Ship.” Jack shrugged.

Murtogg eyed him suspiciously, “What’s your name?”

“Smith. Or Smithy, if you like.” Jack answered.

Mullroy re-asserted his authority, “What’s your purpose in Port Royal , Mr. Smith?”

“Yeah. and no lies.” added Murtogg.

112c33899445d40e92919fd65ee2f702.gif

“Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga,  raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!” Jack confessed.

“I said no lies!” Murtogg yelled out, frustrated.

Mullroy stopped his partner, “I think he’s telling the truth.”

tumblr_oux77kZ0ml1qauc46o2_500.gif

“If he were telling the truth, he wouldn’t have told us.” Murtogg reasoned.

tumblr_ltvn6keM6L1qleyj1o9_r1_250.gif

Jack looked from one to the other and with a placating motion said, “Unless, of course, he knew you wouldn’t believe the truth even if he told it to you.”

tumblr_oux77kZ0ml1qauc46o5_500.gif

The sky has turned full dark which means Twilight is over and Night has fallen. No more gameplay conversation is permitted until the Day 2 story is posted. You can head over to the bar until then.

You have 24 hrs to submit your Night actions, please be sure not to miss this deadline.

**Reminder - if you didn’t post during Day any unique ability you may have is voided for this Twilight/Night phase.

There are 0 clues in this story.

Living players: Still sailing the seven seas

1. MarkHB
  2. Drogo
  3. Machiabelly
  4. Deadpool
  5. aquarian1
  6. The Crazed Spruce
  7. statsgirl
  8. Snookums
  9. terrymct
  10. JTMacc99
  11. TexasGal
  12. peachmangosteen
  13. raven
  14. helenamonster
  15. deaja
  16. SVNBob
  17. Lisin
  18. festivus

Dead players: Sent down to Davy Jones’ locker

• Love 2

Day 2

Dead Men Tell No Tales

Of all the pirate islands in the Caribbean, none was the equal of Tortuga. Dangerous, boisterous, drunken, and bawdy, Tortuga was pirate heaven.

tumblr_os1z5pwD6c1woyl4ho3_r1_250.gif

A dank and dirty port, where the tides seemed to have swept together the sum of pirates, privateers, prostitutes, thieves, and drunkards. The island itself was a ramshackle haven for pirates, rogues, scoundrels, outlaws and sailors. Comprised of cantered, rotting docks, weather-beaten buildings, and an odd assortment of livestock running free, meant it was far less civilized than Port Royal. Tortuga was overall a lawless place, one of the only places a pirate considered to be free with no governing law, despite the expansion of the East India Trading Company. One of the most popular places on Tortuga was the Faithful Bride tavern…

tumblr_os1z5pwD6c1woyl4ho2_r1_250.gif

Inside the Faithful Bride, bench tables with seats made from planks resting on two barrels competed for space. The reed floor mats were dirty and mouldy with bugs crawling in and out of them. However, the grog was cold and the wenches willing as long as you had enough coin. At one of the benches sat a windblown group of salty pirates, who’d been swept to Tortuga on one tide or another and were generally awaiting the next captain desperately looking for crew.

J4ekOT.gif

“How long ‘as you bin ‘ere this time?” one asked another.

“These last three nights I bin sat right ‘ere’ he answered as he lifted his tankard then took a long swig, draining it.

“Ain’t you wantin’ no… entertainment?’ the first grinned, looking at two wenches who were winking at him from across the room.

“Already spent most of me coin. Only gots a few left. Being careful like” he got up from the table and shuffled toward the tavern door.

The sky was dark and clouds intermittently obscured the moon and stars. Crimp grabbed a nearby torch and stumbled toward the sounds of the ocean, seeking a little solitude.

latest?cb=20071203160302

Spoiler

[Yes this is a daytime pic - it's literally the only pic of Crimp online!)

Leaving the noise and hubbub of the tavern a ways behind, he reached a rocky outcrop and looked out to sea. Black sky and black water greeted him. The clouds parted and moonlight gave the black waves a silvery edge. He closed his eyes and breathed in the sea air deeply. When he opened them again he saw a strange fog had begun rolling towards the shore. Then out of the fog sailed a black ship with black tattered sails.

giphy.gif

Even at this distance he instantly knew ‘The Black Pearl!’ his mind raced and his hand unconsciously went to his -rather light- money purse. Transfixed, he watched, as the ship grew closer until he could make out the skull and crossbones flag billowing in the wind. Suddenly, his legs took over and he was running.

The tavern door burst open, “THE PEARL! THE PEARL IS COMING!” Crimp screamed and everyone flew into a panic.

Aboard the Black Pearl, Captain Hector Barbossa yelled at his crew, “ALL RIGHT YE SCURVY DOGS, LOOK LIVELY! ALL HANDS TO SHORE! TAKE WHAT YE CAN, LEAVE NOTHING. YE KNOWS WHAT WE’S HERE FOR, COME BACK EMPTY HANDED AND I’LL KEELHAUL THE LOT OF YA!”

giphy.gif

The crew laughed to each other as they clambered into the ship’s rowboats then headed for shore, they never failed and tonight would be no exception. Pirates, wenches, and sailors alike – all the denizens of Tortuga Port ran this way and that, hiding what little valuables they owned and looking for cover. Nobody wanted to come face to face with the crew of the Black Pearl for everyone knew it was a death sentence. The rowboats landed on a beach and the cursed crew disembarked one after another. Cannon fire flew over their heads as they approached the Port town, outbuildings exploded in a shower of splinters as cannon balls struck hard.

“Where we goin?” Ragetti asked unfolding a map and gazing it at bewildered.

Pintel snatched it off him, “We don’t need no stinkin’ map, and besides you can’t read!”

“How’s we s’posed to find it then?” Ragetti asked his friend and uncle, Pintel.

“Don’tcha feel it? It calls to us” Pintel replied.

“I don’t feel nuthin’ ‘cept me eye, it itches somethin’ terrible” Ragetti whined as he rubbed at the wooden eyeball in its socket.

0f92ebd040_19253122_o2.jpg

Pintel sighed, “Be quiet, close yer eyes and concentrate!”

Ragetti did as he was bid, “Oh yeahhh, I feels it now, it’s all tingly like” he exclaimed.

“Come on. Sooner we finds it, sooner we’s outta this shithole of an island” Pintel grumbled.

Their brethren were running amok; screams, shots and swordfights went on all over the place. Amid the chaos the pair made their way to the Faithful Bride.

“Looks as good a place as any” Pintel surmised as they entered.

No patrons or barkeep were around. Tables had been overturned and were strewn across the room.

“Seems this place ‘as already bin gone over” Ragetti stated looking around.

“You don’t say” Pintel quipped.

IdenticalExemplaryChital-small.gif

He headed for the bar, walked behind it and began rifling through the lower shelves.

His head popped up, “Lookee whats I’s found!” he beamed and held up a bottle of rum.

Ragetti dashed over, “Let’s ‘ave some” he said holding out his hand as Pintel drank.

He passed the bottle to his nephew and Ragetti gulped at it while Pintel resumed his pilfering. Fifteen minutes and three bottles later they walked outside the rear tavern door. Nothing had been disturbed.

“Nobody’s bin ‘ere” Ragetti realised aloud.

Pintel ignored captain obvious and pointed at a nearby outhouse lavvy. The small wooden shed stood quiet as the two pirates tiptoed towards it. The tingle grew stronger.  

“Knock, knock. Come out, come out, whoever yer are” Pintel said in a sing-song voice.

They heard the occupant within shift but no answer came. Pintel booted the flimsy wood door open. Crimp sat on the lavvy quaking.

“Please, I got nothin’!” he quailed.

“We knows better” Pintel replied and grabbed Crimp’s shirt and hauled him out.

“Yeah, we knows better” Ragetti repeated and drew his pistol.

“Empty yer pockets” Pintel ordered, “Or we blows yer brains out”

Crimp did as ordered and threw his dagger as well as other odds and sods onto the ground. The last thing he threw to the ground was his money purse.

Pintel picked it up, “Feels a bit light eh?”

He opened it and tipped the contents into his hand. Three copper coins and one gold. He dropped the coppers.

“Ain’t got nothin’ eh?” Pintel held up the gold medallion, “Seems to me this ain’t nothin’” as he turned it over to reveal a skull emblem.

Crimp begged, “Please don’t kill me. That’s all I gots in the world, ‘ave it but just let me live”

Pintel sighed, “Fine. I s’pose it can’t hurt. Go now before I change me mind”

Ragetti eyed the medallion, “Let’s ‘ave a look” he said as he grabbed for it.

Pintel reflexively drew his hand back, his nephew’s grip on the medallion slipped back fast and he hit himself in his good eye. The pistol went off.

“Oww!” Ragetti exclaimed cupping his good eye.

“Now look what yer did!” Pintel chided.

“I can’ts look, I jabbed meself right in me good eye didn’t I” Ragetti complained.

“Yer killed him!” Pintel sighed.

“Oh well, yer knows what they says, ‘dead men tell no tales’” Ragetti shrugged.

Pintel rolled his eyes and the pair headed back to the Pearl.

============================================

There is 1 clue in this story. You have 36 hrs until Day ends and Twilight begins unless a DL is completed beforehand.

9 votes are required to complete a DL.

Living players: Still sailing the seven seas

1. MarkHB

2. Drogo

3. Machiabelly

4. Deadpool

5. aquarian1

6. The Crazed Spruce

7. statsgirl

8. Snookums

9. terrymct

10. JTMacc99

11. TexasGal

12. peachmangosteen

13. raven

14. helenamonster

15. deaja

16. SVNBob

18. festivus

Dead players: Gone down to Davy Jones’ locker

17. Lisin - Crimp - Lookout - Hero

You are Crimp, a pirate operating in and around Tortuga.

Twilight Ability

Each Twilight you may choose a player to watch over and will learn if anyone visits them for any reason.

3 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

I am confused. Was he a hero or a villain? I assume a hero, but I always think of pirates as the bad guys.

Either way, rest in peace Lisin. Off to reread for clues

Apologies, I forgot to include that bit, derp - fixed!

18 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

I am confused. Was he a hero or a villain? I assume a hero, but I always think of pirates as the bad guys.

Either way, rest in peace Lisin. Off to reread for clues

That was one of the things I was trying to sort out during my rum soaked overnight. Which characters were heroes and which ones were villains in the Pirates of the Caribbean? Jack, Elizabeth and Will were the protagonists, so was anybody who helped them a good guy, and anybody who opposed them a villain? Even with that as guideline, what does that make somebody like Governor Swan? I may need more rum.

ETA: Never mind. I'm just going to assume it's the crew of the Black Pearl.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:49 AM, Drogo said:

One thing that's sticking out to me since I watched the film very recently and as @JTMacc99 said the part about finding Will/Elizabeth's dress/Jack's arrival from the film is pretty much word for word.  

When the Governor gives Elizabeth the dress in the film, he says a beautiful (but transparent) line here: 

39kkmn.jpg

But in the story, it's written as: 

“Can’t a father simply wish to spoil his daughter” he replied kindly,

Could be it was written from memory, could be the clue.  

This is another thing that's been rattling around in my head. Re-writing the line as "Can't a father simply wish to spoil his daughter" is the ONE thing that isn't word for word.

Browsing through the player profiles, there is this answer from festivusIf I could be an animal I’d be a: Housecat owned by my best friend. She spoils hers rotten.

• Love 2

Hero gone and still no idea what yesterday's clue was.  I must have read and reread it 99 times.

Today's story is so great, but not one word is out of place.  Which is the worst when looking for a clue. (Write shittier!!!)

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

This is another thing that's been rattling around in my head. Re-writing the line as "Can't a father simply wish to spoil his daughter" is the ONE thing that isn't word for word.

Browsing through the player profiles, there is this answer from festivusIf I could be an animal I’d be a: Housecat owned by my best friend. She spoils hers rotten.

That's interesting... I looked for spoiled under worst qualities but didn't really consider any other questions.  

1 hour ago, SilverStormm said:

The sky was dark and clouds intermittently obscured the moon and stars. 

From Bob's profile:

One of my favorite books is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

17 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

festivus was also the potential azure/Dr Who fan that our dear departed lisin brought up yesterday.  Coincidence?  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

festivus was also the potential azure/Dr Who fan that our dear departed lisin brought up yesterday.  Coincidence?  

In my experience, that would mean only one is an actual clue... if either.  The runners typically won't clue to the same Villain twice in a row (unless there's only one left.)

Should have finished my thought - maybe it was the wrong clue (since they were in the same story) but if she was on to the RIGHT person and then is killed off, could be suspicious.

Need to stop speculating on yesterday and actually read today's!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm sure I wouldn't find any clues either way but it is especially hard when you know nothing about Pirates of the Caribbean.

True. I've seen the movies but it's been a long time. Right now I'm stuck on how many adjectives were used to describe Tortuga but I'm sure that's nothing. I have no idea what I'm doing!

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, festivus said:

Villains besmirching my good name. *Raises eyebrow

Besmirch I might, but I’m no villain. I’m just really  interested in all things Pirates now that I’m in the middle of it and having fun. 

• Love 1