Type keyword(s) to search

Pirates of the Caribbean Mafia

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Of all the pirate islands in the Caribbean, none was the equal of Tortuga. Dangerous, boisterous, drunken, and bawdy, Tortuga was pirate heaven.

tumblr_os1z5pwD6c1woyl4ho3_r1_250.gif

A dank and dirty port, where the tides seemed to have swept together the sum of pirates, privateers, prostitutes, thieves, and drunkards. 

As @festivus points out, there are a lot of adjectives here. There is also a lot of alliteration...

"The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe uses alliterationin word pairs. In the first three lines of the poem, there are three examples: weak/weary, quaint/curious, and nodded/nearly napping. Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, -

(Thank you Google.)

I’ll start the DL whenever y’all would like. Heh. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

You guys, I'm so excited at how much talking is happening.  Rookies, my ass... you're pros. I'm fucking giddy over it.

I'll join a DL for either but I really like the alliterative pair/EAP connection JT pointed out for "dank/dirty." That's SS' levels of cleverness. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm sure I wouldn't find any clues either way but it is especially hard when you know nothing about Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yeah.... things keep jumping out at me as clues and then I realize it’s part of the movie.For example, I was like “black pearl! That’s weird! Who likes pearls.... oh, that is literally in the name of one of the movies.”

That being said, the possible festivus clue is worthy of discussion.

12 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

something worth pecking at

First perch and now peck.  Are you a parrot?  Or a pirate with a parrot? Hmm

I have to read the second story but reading the first shows two instances of gift giving - a gift to Elizabeth and a gift for Norrington.

peachmangosteen is the only one who exclusively said that if they won the lottery, they would pay off family's debts, with no mention of something personal. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

The only thing that stands out to me in the story was "captain obvious". Not sure who it could point to, but it might be something worth pecking at.

Captain Obvious commercials are for Hotels.com.. not seeing any immediate connections.  Deadpool wants to go to Disney World? Hotel/resort?

• Love 1

I have to admit, when I first saw Tortuga I thought it said Tortola, and I was excited because I've thought for years that that sounded like the perfect place to fall in with pirates. Hell, the city is named Roadtown!

3 hours ago, festivus said:

Help me, I'm struggling with it. I'm not sure if I should count the one describing the livestock so that would be 10 which would be player 10-JTMacc99 who is awful quick to want to start a DL.

10 what? What are you counting?

4 hours ago, Drogo said:

I'll join a DL for either but I really like the alliterative pair/EAP connection JT pointed out for "dank/dirty." That's SS' levels of cleverness.

It wasn’t even dank/dirty so much as the start of dangerous, boisterous, drunken, and bawdy that got me started. The fun choice of DB, DB word combinations set me looking for things. For a hot minute I was thinking it was somebody’s username, but nope. It’s @MarkHB, not MARKDB. But then as I scrolled through the profiles I saw Raven mention Edgar Allen Poe in her’s and ::PING:: something sounds familiar. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, The Crazed Spruce said:

I rarely have much luck finding clues,

While it may be hard for you to cotton on to clues in the story, your ability drop your own hints to your identity (when you want to) is nearly as staggering as my own.

8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm sure I wouldn't find any clues either way but it is especially hard when you know nothing about Pirates of the Caribbean. 

Basically. in the film, there are 3 "factions".

• Protagonist faction
    • Jack Sparrow
    • Will Turner
    • Elizabeth Swann
    • their supporters/crew.
  • Crew of the Black Pearl
    • Barbossa
    • Ragetti
    • Pintel
    • other undead pirates.
  • The Royal Navy/East India Company aka "The Man".
    • Norrington
    • Beckett
    • Mercer
    • Murtogg
    • Mullroy

Governor Swann is a hard call.  He's technically part of The Man, as he's the government representative of Port Royal.  But he's also a devoted father, and often more on Elizabeth's side.   I think, for our purposes, we can count him as one of the Protagonist faction until and unless proven otherwise.

Each of these three factions oppose the other two on some base ideology.  But there's also a common ground between any two that would lead to them working together against the third.  (Ex: Jack and Barbossa do not like each other, but they're both pirates and would most likely choose to work together against the Navy.  But they'd also each turn the other over to the Navy in exchange for their own freedom in a hot second.)  And this theme continues into the second film of the series.  Less so in the 3rd.

Since that's the case, this raises the question of which side(s) make up our two teams.  The Protagonist faction are in the Hero camp for sure.  But who else?  And who are our Villains?  If we take the story at face value, the crew of the Pearl would appear to be on the Villain side, since they made the kill on Crimp.  But does that make The Man Heroes?  Or are they NPCs? 

6 hours ago, raven said:

I have to read the second story but reading the first shows two instances of gift giving - a gift to Elizabeth and a gift for Norrington.

peachmangosteen is the only one who exclusively said that if they won the lottery, they would pay off family's debts, with no mention of something personal. 

Both of those are canon to the first movie.   I'm not saying for sure which side peach is on.  But if peach is a Villain, these aren't a clue pointing their way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

While it may be hard for you to cotton on to clues in the story, your ability drop your own hints to your identity (when you want to) is nearly as staggering as my own.

I'm picking up what Spruce is putting down, but I don't think yours are coming across as strongly as you're intending.  Maybe it's better if they aren't. 

5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Since that's the case, this raises the question of which side(s) make up our two teams.  The Protagonist faction are in the Hero camp for sure.  But who else?  And who are our Villains?  If we take the story at face value, the crew of the Pearl would appear to be on the Villain side, since they made the kill on Crimp.  But does that make The Man Heroes?  Or are they NPCs?

I think we'd have to see the Night 2 story first, mate. 

Until then, we really can't know for sure if there are multiple factions in play (unless we go the @Hanged Man route and ask the Villains to kindly speak up and announce themselves now to save us all a lot of trouble.. I miss HM.) 

New friends:  Usually when there are multiple Villain factions (two smaller but separate groups of Villains) they'll alternate Nights Kills (NKs).  So for instance in the first GoT game, House Lannister killed someone on N1/N3/N5/etc. and House Barratheon killed someone on N2/N4/N6/etc.. In a way it sucks because it's harder to smell them out but it's also cool because sometimes they kill each other instead of killing Heroes.  So tacking onto what Bob's saying - Royal Navy/EITC might be one Villain team and Black Pearl Crew might be another.  If the N2 story reflects a kill or attempt from RN/EITC and none from Black Pearl Crew, we can be pretty sure there are 2 Villain teams. If there's one group of Villains and one SK/serial killer, we'd find that out too, though SKs get a kill either every Night or every other Night (so either we don't have one because we would've seen a NK or failed NK from them in the N1 story, or we do have one and they only get a NK on even Nights.)

2 minutes ago, Drogo said:

New friends:  Usually when there are multiple Villain factions (two smaller but separate groups of Villains) they'll alternate Nights Kills (NKs).  So for instance in the first GoT game, House Lannister killed someone on N1/N3/N5/etc. and House Barratheon killed someone on N2/N4/N6/etc

Wait..... you're telling me I was a villain in that game?  I thought I was just an innocent man who enjoyed sexual relations with my sister while we mourned the death of our child!

19 minutes ago, deaja said:

Wait..... you're telling me I was a villain in that game?  I thought I was just an innocent man who enjoyed sexual relations with my sister while we mourned the death of our child!

Hey, we don't get to choose who we love. 

Spoiler

But actually that was the (second) GoT game, on FMF... I was referring to the (first) GoT game, here on Primetimer where allegedly Starks&Friends were the Heroes.

16 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Hey, we don't get to choose who we love. 

Hide contents

But actually that was the (second) GoT game, on FMF... I was referring to the (first) GoT game, here on Primetimer where allegedly Starks&Friends were the Heroes.

Oops.... my bad. 

But those of you who are new and reading should take pity on me. My first ever game was GoT themed, I couldn't keep any of the characters straight as I haven't seen the show, and my teammates' avatar and name were Jon Snow.  But his character was Cersei Lannister.  So I'd be reading a story and read Jon Snow and think they meant my team, only to realize that wasn't my teammate at all. 🙂

14 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

"The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe uses alliterationin word pairs. In the first three lines of the poem, there are three examples: weak/weary, quaint/curious, and nodded/nearly napping. Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, -

(Thank you Google.)

I’ll start the DL whenever y’all would like. Heh. 

giphy.gif

Let me help you out - 

1 to DL Raven (Drogo), 8 to dive for black pearls

This clue has legs and you're ready to act on it, so the fact that no one else has encouraged the DL start since you said it 14 hours ago leads me to believe @raven has some, err, friends in this shanty... and you don't.  That makes me comfortable with you JT; less so with Raven.

Edited by Drogo
Raven and Festivus aren't the same person and I need more coffee.

I was leaning more toward the Festivus clue, but at the same time, this one has promise.

2 to DL Raven (Drogo, deaja), 7 to dive for black pearls 

14 hours ago, festivus said:

I'm not sure if I should count the one describing the livestock so that would be 10 which would be player 10-JTMacc99 who is awful quick to want to start a DL.

@deaja like I said I would join either of the proposed DLs but ^this^ comment from Festivus gives me slight pause -- getting defensive and looking for clues towards the person who is talking about DLing you is a pretty standard Lone Hero move.  

*Not to say Villains don't do it too, but they tend to not get as nervous because they have a good 3-4 allies who can a) calm them down b) not join the DL making it harder to complete it and c) divert attention elsewhere and hopefully stall the DL. 

3 to DL Raven (Drogo, deaja, JTMacc99), 6 to dive for black pearls 

To be fair, I wasn't that quick to start a DL, but I do admit to having a very high level of confidence in my blind stab in the dark.

I have a medium level of confidence with the Spoiled one. After reading back through a couple of the old games and seeing what the clues look like, I could go either way that "spoiled" in the story, which is definitely a word out of place, could be a reference to the spoiled house cat in the player profile.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Drogo said:

I miss HM

I DMd him on Facebook to tell him the game was starting and hoped he'd return. 😞

I'm following @Deadpool's lead to see what happens with the votes and will check back in a couple of hours.

2 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I DMd him on Facebook to tell him the game was starting and hoped he'd return. 😞

I PM'd him (and caprice) on here.  I PM'd just about everyone, I think.  

Well, I for one propose a DL of Deadpool, based on the following:

Deadpool wants to go to Disney World? Hotel/resort?

The Tortugas are the location of this part of the story, and they're in Florida. Our favorite motor-mouthed merc can't wait to head to Disney World! Undoubtedly to pillage and pillage some more.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Snookums said:

the DL clouds are forming to ill intent!

Are you saying you have information that Drogo (as the starter of the DL) is a villain or JT (as the one who suggested it)?  

On 9/3/2019 at 8:09 PM, Drogo said:

There are several types of abilities in each game- investigative and protective are pretty common to all games.

[Neither the hero investigators nor protectors really want to announce themselves in-game, or they'll become primary targets for villains.] They do however want/need to share what they've learned. It's a tricky thing..

and

22 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Also, I can confirm Raven is one of the good guys (never you mind how I know) and the DL clouds are forming to ill intent!

Has me all discombobulated.

If I understand the game correctly, Snookums is going all high risk here to either save Raven or point a finger at Drogo based on something learned by a special ability about one of those two. (I'm of course ruling myself out as being discovered a villain, as I know I am not.)

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

If I understand the game correctly, Snookums is going all high risk here to either save Raven or point a finger at Drogo based on something learned by a special ability about one of those two. (I'm of course ruling myself out as being discovered a villain, as I know I am not.)

Well, there are a few options here. 1) Snookums and Raven are both villains and are purposely deceiving us. Because they're villains and that's what villains do.  This is high risk for Snookums because by vouching for Raven, if Raven is killed and revealed as a villain, Snookums is the next logical target.  (But they also might have some special protection power so they're not worried about this.) 2) Snookums investigated Raven and knows Raven isn't a villain.  3) Snookums is a villain and therefore knows that Raven is not.  (This is highly unlikely though as it would make more sense for Snookums to just let Raven die because it benefits the heroes.) 4) You or Drogo are a villain (maybe both of you) and Snookums knows this and therefore assumes Raven must be good for you/Drogo to be trying to kill her.

@JTMacc99 just because it's not the wisest move to loudly out oneself as a protector/investigator doesn't mean no one ever does it.  Also, sometimes it's necessary.  If someone's investigated a fellow Hero and that fellow Hero comes under fire, it's kind of the investigator's duty to defend them.  Also, if our investigator or protector were up for DL themselves, we would really want them to say "No"/"Stop"/"I'm the protector"/"You'll be safer with me here" or the like so we wouldn't go ahead and kill our own assets. 

There are also other ways that one Hero might know another Hero's identity (ex: the Mason role, where two Heroes can speak to each other in a PM outside of the regular game topic.) It's possible Raven and Snookums have that ability.  

Could also be that Snookums is a Hero and identified the person who started the DL as a bad guy, which I'm certain she didn't... or if she had identified the person who pointed out the clue as a bad guy, which you say can't be possible.  

The last possibility would be that R and are both bad guys, but it would take a lot of balls and lack of brain cells for Villain 1 to loudly vouch for Villain 2, particularly when there are only 3 votes out of a necessary 9 (and less than a day left for the remaining 6 votes to show up.)  This scenario IMO is the least likely, so if Snookums comes back and says she wants to officially vouch for Raven, that's good enough for me to jump off the DL.

The fact that we are almost 24 hours into our 36 hour daytime period makes me think we are onto something with Raven being a villain and that's why there are so few joining the DL. I think if she were a hero, we would have villains joining in by now.  If she's a villain, they might be trying to just run out the clock on a DL.

Or it could be that the majority of those playing this game are much better employees than I am and are actually working on a Friday afternoon.  

Just now, deaja said:

If she's a villain, they might be trying to just run out the clock on a DL.

But if she's a Villain, the person vouching for her has to be a Villain too.  Why send in a Villain to vouch for her if the strategy is to run out the clock?  That's a lot of ammunition for a vote that doesn't even look like it's happening.  

14 minutes ago, deaja said:

Or it could be that the majority of those playing this game are much better employees than I am and are actually working on a Friday afternoon.  

Hah!  Surely not!!  

I for one am trying to figure all this potential stategery out.  And weighing whether as an innocent newbie someone could be trying to lead me astray - seemingly well meaning others with more experience "explaining" parts of the game.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

But if she's a Villain, the person vouching for her has to be a Villain too.  Why send in a Villain to vouch for her if the strategy is to run out the clock?  That's a lot of ammunition for a vote that doesn't even look like it's happening.  

Yeah, I'm starting to think my hypothesis about me just being a bad employee is more likely.  

But I would like @Snookums to come explain if she was vouching for Raven, pointing the finger at you, or pointing the finger at @JTMacc99 with her comment.  It would be helpful.

Hello all! 

I'm vouching for Raven, straight up! While I (from what little I understand of the game) think that Drogo might be taking a bold villain stance, I do think the Tortugas/Deadpool clue might be  more worth looking into if we want to really start a DL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

With this new information, I am going to rescind my DL vote leaving it at 

2 to DL Raven (Drogo, JTMacc99), 7 to dive for black pearls 

I reserve the right to change my mind again.  But for now I should probably actually work. 😉

3 minutes ago, Snookums said:

I'm vouching for Raven, straight up!

That's what I needed to hear.  @JTMacc99 you should probably come off this one also.    

1 to DL Raven (JTMacc99), 8 to dive for black pearls 

• Love 1

Okay then. I'll run with this (for now) and accept it as well. (Although, at this point, I am kind of hoping that Silver is thinking, "That wasn't what I was going for with that alliteration, but I wish I had.)

0 to DL Raven, 9 to dive for black pearls 

• Love 2

Well i just got caught up and that's not a clue for me because:
1. I'm a hero
2. Tortuga is potc canon and an important place in Curse of the Black Pearl, so can't be a clue to anyone else either.
Also, i reread this on my way home and spotted this part about the maps between Pintel & Ragetti; peachmangosteen's profile says 'she wishes she knew more about geography.'

1 to DL peachmangosteen (Deadpool) 8 to give em the old heave ho

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

“Where we goin?” Ragetti asked unfolding a map and gazing it at bewildered.

Sounds like Ragetti wishes he knew more about maps/geography.  Good eye.

2 to DL peachmangosteen (Deadpool, Drogo) 7 to give em the old heave ho

Also, can someone investigate me so we can put the "Is Drogo helping us or trying to hurt us?" argument to bed?  

I'm still not completely sold, but I think we need action here to keep the villains from getting a lead, so I'm willing to take a chance.

4 to DL peachmangosteen (Deadpool, Drogo, JTMacc99, Deaja) 5 to give em the old heave ho

And I am glad I am not alone any more in my spotting of non-existent clues. 😉

Just an FYI, in about 24 hours Dorian will be going over my little island home. We thought it would  e down to tropical storm or depression. Now they are saying category 1 or maybe even 2.

Going to be busy the rest of the day, and the Saturday evening into Sunday evening I may be off line. No worries, I will be back Monday latest.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Just an FYI, in about 24 hours Dorian will be going over my little island home. We thought it would  e down to tropical storm or depression. Now they are saying category 1 or maybe even 2.

Going to be busy the rest of the day, and the Saturday evening into Sunday evening I may be off line. No worries, I will be back Monday latest.

Stay safe!!!!