Type keyword(s) to search

The Off-Topic Bar

• Start Topic

As one of the non-mods around here, allow me to welcome all the newcomers to our happy gang of cutthroats.

And let me state one of the "rules" of the Bar: the Game is outside.

Mafia games can get really emotionally intense at times.  And when emotions get running that high, sometimes the friendly banter marches right up to the point of going too far.  Never quite past that point, but thisclose to taking that next step.  And as such, some of the rules might have been...bent.  When that happened, we (myself included, so I'm speaking from personal experience here) deservedly and rightfully got slapped down.  Once the following Night hit, we all came to the Bar.  Mistakes were owned up to, apologies were made, drinks were had...and we were all friends again.

So, angry that you were accused (falsely or not) of being a villain and getting DL'd?  Or that your ploy of throwing someone else (falsely or not) under the bus failed?  Or that your perfectly logical argument with tons of evidence is falling on deaf ears?  Well, it's ok to be upset.  But try to leave it in the game thread.

Player, GM, Spectator, Living, Dead, Good, Evil, or undecided; makes no difference.  In here, we're all on the same side: the side of having fun and playing a game.

(Besides, the opponent(s) you're upset with in one game might just be your teammate(s) in the next.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

This^ begs the question...exactly what is your definition of 'unnatural'? Does it perchance include the words 'paint' and 'body'? lolz.

Besides the above (which I mainly object to on grounds of inferior product) it's when cooks try to get all trendy and combine perfectly good  chocolate with stuff like pickles and bacon and mix it into mint ice cream and serve it in a hollowed out tomato. JUST LET IT BE CHOCOLATE.

And since I'm here; one Sangria, a plate of nachos, and directions to the rules of the game? (seriously, I have no idea what's involved.)

• LOL 1
53 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

@Snookums

I may regret this but I can't not ask - This^ begs the question...exactly what is your definition of 'unnatural'? Does it perchance include the words 'paint' and 'body'? lolz.

That's unnatural?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Snookums said:

And since I'm here; one Sangria, a plate of nachos, and directions to the rules of the game? (seriously, I have no idea what's involved.)

Essentially, the game revolves around an Informed Minority (the Mafia / Werewolves / Villains, who know who each other are and silently act as a team) and an Uninformed Majority (the Town / Heroes, who have no clue who is Town and who is Mafia), each trying to defeat the other faction. The game is played in a series of Day-Night cycles; during Day, the players discuss and vote on players to eliminate, or DL (I'll explain that term below). At night, the thread is silent (go to The Bar and DON'T TALK GAME) while the Mafia choose amongst themselves whom they can eliminate from the Town, and other players may have special powers like protection or investigation that they can invoke. The Town are trying to eliminate all Mafia, the Mafia want to reduce the Townsfolk to the point that they have a majority and can effectively overrun and eliminate the Town. Any particular gamerunner can also specify particular rules for their game which they will typically make clear at the start. Out-of-band communication including role assignments, villain chatter, and notices from the game mod are conducted via PM.

DL: The standard term for an elimination vote is "lynch."  Since that's a horrifically insensitive and loaded term, here we've changed it to DL, or David Lynch, and usually summarize the vote totals by saying they're to do something completely incongruous, if not utterly nonsensical.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

other players may have special powers like protection or investigation that they can invoke.

Also some other extremely cool powers depending on the particular game/characters.  

Pro-tip:  Read back one of the past games to get a feeling for the flow and how people suss each other out.  (*My personal favorite was The Princess Bride game, where for example I had the ability to protect one player each Night and if I/Fezzik rhymed 3x during Day I received a Holocaust cloak and could also protect myself or a second player.)

giphy.gif

• Love 1

That is super helpful @MarkHB! This time when I went back and read the rules and how to play, I think I got my arms around it. The same is probably true if I go back and try again to understand a previous game thread. 

So let me try to understand the DL process...

Anyone can start a DL, Mafia or Townie? So from the Mafia perspective, if it looks like one or more townies think they've read some clues right and are actually targeting a fellow townie, it would be in their interest to agree, and maybe even start a DL?

And the same idea but in this case the Townies are reading the clues right and targeting a Mafia member, it's obviously in the Mafia's interests to start pointing everybody in a different direction?

And when the Mafia during the night issues their hit order, I'm assuming there is some sort of strategy there as well. Like maybe townie member X is a little to smart for her own good, and needs to go.

And it seems to me that during all of the talking during the day, where people are trying to figure out clues and voting, it would be in the best interests of the townies if they can read the room to help them spot the Mafia. Can a townie flat out say "I've noticed that MarkHB, Snookums, and JTMacc99 sure do seem to agree with each other all the time"?

Am I kinda/sorta on the right page here?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

That is super helpful @MarkHB! This time when I went back and read the rules and how to play, I think I got my arms around it. The same is probably true if I go back and try again to understand a previous game thread. 

So let me try to understand the DL process...

Anyone can start a DL, Mafia or Townie? So from the Mafia perspective, if it looks like one or more townies think they've read some clues right and are actually targeting a fellow townie, it would be in their interest to agree, and maybe even start a DL?

And the same idea but in this case the Townies are reading the clues right and targeting a Mafia member, it's obviously in the Mafia's interests to start pointing everybody in a different direction?

And when the Mafia during the night issues their hit order, I'm assuming there is some sort of strategy there as well. Like maybe townie member X is a little to smart for her own good, and needs to go.

And it seems to me that during all of the talking during the day, where people are trying to figure out clues and voting, it would be in the best interests of the townies if they can read the room to help them spot the Mafia. Can a townie flat out say "I've noticed that MarkHB, Snookums, and JTMacc99 sure do seem to agree with each other all the time"?

Am I kinda/sorta on the right page here?

Yes to all of this! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I expect to die immediately. 

This is the recommended mindset for all players, old and new. 

2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am sure I will die immediately and be super bad at this 

See above. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am sure I will die immediately and be super bad at this but damn that sounds really fun lol.

Right? LOL.  I'm going to read everything again to see if that helps, hee.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, festivus said:

Should I play this game? I've never played any online game before. Or tabletop one either. I read the rules but I still don't understand. So much anxiety!

scared monster high GIF

Also, I'm a dummy. 😄

Sure, it's all about the fun - but sign up like now bc sign ups are closing very soon!

• Love 1

We're still clueless.  But who cares?

At the end of the day we're all gonna be pirates! (The cool Disney kind, not the AK-47-steal-all-your-shit-off-the-Somali-coast kind.) 

• Love 3
Just now, festivus said:

Oh lord, I was reading through the Futurama one because I know that show best but I'm still so lost. What have I done? 😂

Probably not the best one for a new player - that game was pretty complex in terms of abilities. I'd suggest an earlier game.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, festivus said:

Oh lord, I was reading through the Futurama one because I know that show best but I'm still so lost. What have I done? 😂

No, no Futurama... Princess Bride.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, festivus said:

4 hours ago, Drogo said:

No, no Futurama... Princess Bride.

While I also adore the Princess Bride game, the first game we played here (at least the first couple of Days and Nights) might be a better starting point for the newbies, since we had several newbies in that game as well.  Yeah, it's a bizarre mash-up of shows and hard to follow story-wise, but the gameplay starts off relatively easy to follow.

(Futurama is good to read because of what I talked about in my other post.  For a game based on an animated comedy series, we got surprisingly heated in that one.)

Also, I know our Villain team, regardless of composition, will take care of any new players in their midst and help get them up to speed.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, MarkHB said:

While we wait for Day 1 to begin, I want to raise a major salute to @SilverStormm and @CuriousParker, who actually took the time to slice the old Mafia thread into the individual games!

I'm trying to decide which job would be more horrifying and tedious..

separating those games into topics or Sam Tarly's Citadel internship... 

6f536c07-d676-4847-a8f6-020ece5c4c98-53c

tumblr_ou9el57Pgn1r3wshio3_540.gif

I guess Citadel is worse because at least CP and SS have coworkers with a sense of humor... unlike Sam's....

CqUyoIQXgAEdGaP.jpg:large

• LOL 3

pirates-float-drink-2-600x900.jpg

Ingredients:

1 1/2 ounces Captain Morgan's spiced rum

1 1/2 ounces root beer schnapps

Coca-Cola

Directions:

Fill a tall glass with ice and pour in the rum and schnapps.

Stir until chilled, and then add the cola to taste.

Jack-Sparrow-Punch-467x700.jpg

Ingredients:

7 cups water

7 tablespoons pink lemonade powder

1 cup vodka

1/3 cup coconut rum

1 shot blue Caruso

1 cup watermelon juice

6 oz can pineapple orange juice

Directions:

In a large pitcher combine the water and pink lemonade, stir until combined.

Add the remainder of the ingredients to the pitcher.

Serve cold over ice

Pirates-cocktail.png?w=1100&ssl=1

Ingredients:

1 bottle of Corona

3oz Tequila

3oz Orange Liquor

4oz Sweet and sour mix

Ice

Gold sanding sugar

Simple syrup

Directions:

Add simple syrup to a plate, set to the side

Add gold sanding sugar to a plate

Then roll rim of the glasses in the simple syrup then into the gold sanding sugar

Fill your glasses with ice

In a bar shaker add your tequila, orange liquor and sweet and sour mix

Shake to combine

Pour your liquor mix into each glass

Top off with Corona until full

tenor.gif

• Love 3