Type keyword(s) to search

The Princess Bride Mafia

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Whilst sign-ups are still open, we've decided to post the Intro in case anyone is considering joining. Sign ups will close this evening and PM's will now be sent out tomorrow. 

====================================================================================

The Princess Bride.

A VIDEO GAME PLAYS ON A TV SCREEN

The game is in progress. A sick coughing sound can be heard.

A young boy aged around 8 years is lying in bed, coughing and very pale, he is one sick cookie. He holds a controller in one hand, presses it, and the video game moves a little bit. Then he's hit by another spasm of coughing and puts the controller down.

The boy's Mother enters his room, goes to him, fluffs his pillows, kisses him, and briefly feels his forehead. She's worried, but doesn't let it show.

“You feeling any better honey?” she asks.

“A little bit.”

“Guess what.”

“What?”

“Your grandfather's here to see you.”

The boy is not overjoyed…
“Mom, can't you tell him that I'm sick?”

“You are sick, that's why he's here.”

“But he'll pinch my cheek. I hate that.”

“Maybe this time he won't.” she replies placatingly.

The boy looks unconvinced, shooting her an "I'm sure" look, as his grandfather bursts into the room. He’s kind of rumpled, but his eyes are bright. He has a wrapped package tucked under one arm as he immediately walks over to his grandson and pinches his cheek.

“Hey! How's the sickie? Huh?” he enquires.

The boy flashes an ‘I told you so’ look at his mother. Which she does her best to ignore.

“Ok I think I'll leave you two pals,” she says, retreating.

With that she is gone. There's an uncomfortable silence, then...

“I brought you a special present.”

“What is it?”

He hands the package to his grandson who immediately opens it up. The boy does his best approximation of a smile.

“A book?”

“That's right. When I was your age, television was called books.
And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.”

“Um, has it got any sports in it?” he asks hoping to find some small measure of entertainment.

His grandfathers’ eyes widen with excitement, “Are you kidding? Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Revenge. Giants. Monsters. Chases. Escapes. True love. Miracles.” he recites passionately.

The boy manages a shrug, “It doesn't sound too bad. I'll try and stay awake.” he replies.

“Oh. Well, thank you very much. It's very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming. Alright.”

His grandfather opens the book to page one and begins to read.
The Princess Bride, by S. Morgenstern.
Chapter One.
Buttercup was raised on a small farm in the country of Florin.”

And so, begins our adventure…

There are no clues in this story.

• Love 8

No role too small, no role too big.

There are no small roles, only small players

(getting ready to fret and strut my hour upon the stage)

My PB story...

My children and husband always had this movie on but I had never watched it.

My daughter lent me PB on DVD.

I had a long drive to and from Seaside Heights, Jersey Shore (20 hours) a week ago and a mini DVD player.

PB makes for pretty good listening and I think I have the dialogue down pat.

• Love 3

"Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Revenge. Giants. Monsters. Chases. Escapes. True love. Miracles.”

This. This line right here. This is the line. The line that describes why this is one of the great movies. Sums it all up, right there.

Love that line.

• Love 6

This. This line right here. This is the line. The line that describes why this is one of the great movies. Sums it all up, right there.

Love that line.

So many quotable lines. Like "This is true love - you think this happens every day?"

• Love 2

Won't be the same without you photo.

*I forget- when are we starting?

Agreed. And I believe we are receiving PM's today, Y/Y??

I have some free time this afternoon, so I think a re-viewing of TPB is in order over here.

• Love 2

Tonight the Khaleesi is seeing TPB for the first time with me, mini Drogo and a bucket of KFC.

Because I am an evil person, I made dinner reservations for my wife to go with her college friends; I want the monopoly on awesome childhood memories.

• Love 5

Okay, just stopped at the library and picked up two copies of TPB for some rewatching this weekend. Thank heavens for self-check out machines, so that I didn't get weird looks for taking out two copies! (and I left a third one -- just have a history of DVDs going bad from the library, and wanted to be safe....)

• Love 4

TPB Mafia Mod Announcement:

SilverStormm and I are sending out PM's ... and here we go!

Please respond to the PM that you got it, but please also come in thread to let others know you got your role, thanks!

• Love 5

TPB Mafia Mod Announcement:

All PM's have been sent ... 

Day 1 starts on Monday!  Until then, have a great weekend peeps, I will be busy moving some more!  ::giggle::

• Love 5

I've got mine. :)

I'm pretty sure my sister's got a loan of my copy of TPB, so I'm just grateful it's on Netflix.  I probably won't get a chance to rewatch it tonight ('cause we've got a hotel full of college-aged soccer players, and I'm no doubt gonna be kept busy), but most of 'em are leaving tomorrow morning, so I should have plenty of time tomorrow night, or at least Monday.

• Love 2

Just dropping by to say how much I love lurking here and how excited I am for TPB! I'm looking forward to the many laughs I know you all will provide. Also, I'm rewatching tonight so I can hand my copy off to a coworker who has never seen it.

• Love 7

Just dropping by to say how much I love lurking here and how excited I am for TPB! I'm looking forward to the many laughs I know you all will provide. Also, I'm rewatching tonight so I can hand my copy off to a coworker who has never seen it.

Play next time.  We'd love to have you.

Play next time.  We'd love to have you.

Ditto to this, P2C2E.  

So, we just finished Khaleesi's first ever TPB viewing.  [We also finished the bucket 'o chicken... KFC's biscuits have gone majorly downhill since my last visit a few years ago.]   Anyway, little one had a lot of feedback.  

Buttercup:  "Farmboy, fetch me that pitcher."  

Khaleesi:  "The one that's an inch from your face, Lazy?"  

During the first MNIIMYKMFPTD:  

"Indigo Montoya?  Who names their son Indigo?  Why not just name him Yellow?"

During Inigo+Wesley fencing scene:

"These two are trying to kill each other, but they're all full of compliments.  Wow, I love how you just cut my hand off!  That was really great!"  

Re:  the ROUS's:  

"What kind of dog is that?"

Re:  Ancient Boo-er:

"Oh, she's lovely.  Why didn't the Prince want to marry her?"

p.s.  I shared my character info with her, and she told me I can come to her whenever I need help with the game.  Consider yourselves warned. 

• Love 6
p.s.  I shared my character info with her, and she told me I can come to her whenever I need help with the game.  Consider yourselves warned. 

How I've missed the Khalessi posts. I wish she was around to "help" you when we were villains. She could have been our consultant. Hehe.

• Love 2

Thanks CP and Drogo, I'd like to, but I'm not sure I'd be any good! Also, and more importantly, I work at a no internet/no cell phone job so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to participate fully.

• Love 2

How I've missed the Khalessi posts. I wish she was around to "help" you when we were villains. She could have been our consultant. Hehe.

;)  I get the distinct feeling sweet Khaleesi's advice would be the same every Night:  "Try not to kill anybody."  

Thanks CP and Drogo, I'd like to, but I'm not sure I'd be any good! Also, and more importantly, I work at a no internet/no cell phone job so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to participate fully.

That's okay, we're all terrible.  And just about every one of us is certifiably insane.  Join us next time.

• Love 4

Bah, that's no excuse! None of us are on the same schedule and as long as you pop in at some point during the Day, we're an understanding group. Some of us are just more... talkative than others. :)

;)  I get the distinct feeling sweet Khaleesi's advice would be the same every Night:  "Try not to kill anybody."  

That's okay, we're all terrible.  And just about every one of us is certifiably insane.  Join us next time.

Too bad her advice wouldn't have been all that helpful in the last two games... ;)

Speak for yourself, @Drogo, I have it on good authority that I'm certifiably AND justifiably insane! ;)

When the topic come up, I point out that if I'm insane, I certainly have good reason for it. I'm also in very good company. :D
  • Love 2
None of us are on the same schedule and as long as you pop in at some point during the Day, we're an understanding group.

Precisely.  It's become common knowledge that I'm one of the night owls.  So if everyone else blazes through a Day* during the day, I occasionally miss out on the cycle.  But I do check in as soon as I can.

*Caps for the game round, lower case for part the actual diurnal cycle.

Some of us are just more... talkative than others. :)

Indeed.

While we're here, I should probably mention that I'm likely not going to be around on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Taking a little mini-vacation those days.  I'll for sure be back by my usual time-slot late Thursday.  But I'll pop in if I can before then

The game will have just started though, so it should be ok.  Just don't kill me while I'm away an unable to defend myself.

• Love 3