Type keyword(s) to search

Pirates of the Caribbean Mafia

• Start Topic

And so another Day ends and Twilight begins.

You have 12 hours to submit your Twilight actions. As usual, you're free to continue any game discussion until the Night story is posted.

**Reminder - if you didn’t post during Day any unique ability you may have is voided for this Twilight/Night phase.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Drogo said:

If Festivus is bad, aquarian1 probably isn't. 

Did everyone post toDay?

Because she voted on the DL or because of something I’m missing? I ask in part because of the earlier speculation of two separate groups of villains.

32 minutes ago, deaja said:

Because she voted on the DL or because of something I’m missing? I ask in part because of the earlier speculation of two separate groups of villains.

She hopped on the DL, and pretty quickly.  Just going to word-vomit here in case I'm not here Tomorrow.  I'm not convinced there are two separate groups of villains, particularly since Black Pearl Crew was able to NK someone both N1 and N2.  JT may have been offed by a SK, or (since he was an investigator) I think we may have a Hero Veteran in the mix.  Veterans are tricky; they can go "on alert" several times during the game and anyone who visits them that Night (to investigate them, protect them, roleblock them, etc.) is killed.  It's a tough job to reconcile keeping your own team away from you (so they don't die) and simultaneously seducing the opposing team to come after you.  If we do have one in this game, I'm pretty sure they won't/shouldn't announce themselves BUT I'm also pretty sure they won't be a new player so be careful about visiting the returning players at Night (unless they're me or Spruce since I think a few of us have figured out who he is/what he can do.)  

(Apologies for the gifless and long story – it’s late and I’m tired, yo - but I needed to move the plot along enough so things makes sense. At least there are no clues!).

Night 3 

The Winds of Change Be Blowing

Will Turner hadn’t been there to save Elizabeth, but there was a chance he could save her father. Not to mention put an end to those responsible for the death of his father… pirates. Not just any pirates, but those who sailed aboard the Black Pearl. Norrington wouldn’t listen and had refused his help, so he took matters into his own hands. Entering the jail he looked for the cell holding Jack Sparrow.

“You. Sparrow!” he called out upon spotting him.

Jack looked up, “Aye.”

“You are familiar with that ship – the Black Pearl?” Will asked.

“I’ve heard of it.”

“Where does it make berth?”

“Where does it make berth? Have you not heard the stories? Captain Barbossa and his crew of miscreants sail from the dreaded Isla de Muerta . It’s an island that cannot be found except by those who already know where it is.” Jack informed him.

“The ship’s real enough. Therefore its anchorage must be a real place. Where is it?” Will insisted.

Jack studied his fingernails, “Why ask me?”

“Because you’re a pirate.”

“And you want to turn pirate yourself, is that it?” Jack enquired.

"Never! They killed my father!” Will shot back.

“Oh, so it is vengeance you be after. I see. Well, if you’re intending to brave all, and get yerself killed in the process, you’ll have to do it alone, mate. I see no profit in it for me.” Jack replied with disinterest.

“I can get you out of here.” Will offered.

Jack perked up, “How’s that?”

“I helped build these cells. These are half pin-barrel hinges." He picked up a bench and placed it at the bottom of the cell door. “With the right leverage and the proper application of strength… the door will lift free.”

Jack looked at him anew, “What’s your name?”

“Will Turner”

“That will be short for William, I imagine. Good, strong name. No doubt, named for your father, eh?”

“Yes.”

“Uh-huh. Well, Mr. Turner , I’ve changed me mind. If you spring me from this cell I swear on pain of death I shall take you to the Black Pearl. Do we have an accord?” Jack asked with an offer of a handshake.

Will took his hand,  “Agreed.”

Jack repeated, “Agreed. Now get me out.”

On the way to the docks they met up with Mr Gibbs.

“Cap’n you be free!” he exclaimed in delight.

“No thanks to you Mr Gibbs. Where’d you get to?” Jack asked as they strode along.

“That damn dog ran off and then…well I ran into a bit of trouble y’see” Gibbs continued.

“Mr Gibbs, I’ve no time nor the inclination to hear about the nocturnal antics of drunken pirates. You’re here now and we’re going to find a ship” Jack interrupted him.

“A ship? What ship might that be?” Gibbs asked, “And where we be headed?”

Will was shocked, “We’re going to steal that ship. That ship?!” he repeated as he looked at the Dauntless.

Commandeer. We’re going to commandeer that ship. Nautical term.” Jack informed him.

Gibbs chuckled. They made their way to the docked ship under cover of an upturned boat and waded into the water.

They boarded the Dauntless, “Everyone stay calm! We are taking over the ship.” Jack announced to the few marines on board.

Will joined in, “Aye! Avast!” and drew his sword.

A short while later the marines were tied up and in one of the ship’s rowboats.

Lieutenant Gillette scoffed, “This ship cannot be crewed by three men. You’ll never make it out of the bay.”

Jack pointed his pistol at Gillette ’s nose, “Son…I’m Captain Jack Sparrow. Savvy?” he stated proudly.

Aboard the Interceptor an officer spotted the marines in the boat, “Commodore!” he shouted to Norrington.

Gillette yelled at the top of his lungs, “Sir, they’ve taken the Dauntless. They’ve taken the ship. Sparrow and Turner - they’ve taken the Dauntless.”

Norrington raised his spy glass, “Rash, Mr Turner, too rash. That is without doubt the worst pirate I have ever seen.” he remarked.

The Interceptor reached the Dauntless within minutes. Norrington and his men boarded her.

“Search every cabin, every hold, down to the bilges.” he ordered.

Before Norrington knew what was happening, Jack, Will and Gibbs swung over onto the Interceptor and started to sail her away.

Jack bowed expansively at the seething Norrington, “Thank you, Commodore, for getting us ready to make way. We’d have had a hard time of it by ourselves.”

Norrington ordered, “Hands, come about. Run out the guns.”

“Commodore, he’s disabled the rudder chain, sir!” a sailor reported, unable to comply with the order.

They watched the Interceptor sail away, “That’s got to be the best pirate I’ve ever seen.” an officer remarked.

Norrington fumed, “So it would seem.”

Once on the open sea, Gibbs found a bottle of rum and drank it dry. Whilst he was busy sleeping it off, Will made conversation, “When I was a lad living in England , my mother raised me by herself. After she died, I came out here, looking for my father.”

“Is that so?” Jack replied airily.

“My father, Will Turner. At the jail, it was only after you learned my name that you agreed to help. Since that’s what I wanted, I didn’t press the matter. I’m not a simpleton, Jack. You knew my father.”

Jack admitted, “I knew ‘im. Probably one the few who knew him as William Turner. Everyone else just called him Bootstrap or Bootstrap Bill.”

Will was puzzled, “Bootstrap?”

“Good man. Good pirate. I swear you look just like him.” Jack added.

“It’s not true. He was a merchant sailor. A good, respectable man who obeyed the law!” Will countered angrily.

“He was a bloody pirate, a scallywag.”

Will wasn’t having it, “My father was no pirate.” he drew his sword and pointed it at Jack.

Jack sighed, “Put it away, son. It’s not worth you getting beat again.”

“You didn’t beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I’d have killed you.” Will reminded him.

“Then that's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?” Jack answered as he moved one of the sails so that the yard caught Will and swung him out over the sea.

“Now, as long as you’re just hanging there, pay attention. The only rules that really matter are these – what a man can do and what a man can’t do. For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man or you can’t. But pirate is in your blood, boy, so you’ll have to square with that someday. Now, me, for example, I can let you drown but I can’t bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesy, savvy? So…” he swung him back on board and offered him his sword back.

“Can you sail under the command of a pirate? Or can you not?” Jack propositioned.

Will took the sword, “Tortuga?” he questioned.

On The Island of Tortuga.

The trio entered the Faithful Bride tavern.

“Keep a sharp eye.” Jack said quietly to Will, leaving him to watch the patrons as he sat down at a table with Gibbs.

“Now, what’s the nature of this venture of yourn?” Gibbs asked.

“I’m going after the Black Pearl.”

Gibbs almost choked on his drink.

“I know where it’s going to be, and I’m going to take it.” Jack further explained.

“Jack, it’s a fool’s errand. Why, you know better than me the tales of the Black Pearl.” Gibbs cautioned.

“That’s why I know what Barbossa is up to. All I need is a crew.”

“From what I hear tell of Captain Barbossa , he’s not a man to suffer fools, nor strike a bargain with one.” Gibbs advised.

“Well, then I’d say it’s a very good thing I’m not a fool then, eh?” Jack retorted.

“Prove me wrong. What makes ye think Barbossa will give up his ship to you?” Gibbs frowned.

Jack nodded in Will’s direction, “Let’s just say it’s a matter of leverage, eh?”

Gibbs was confused, “The kid?”

“That is the child of Bootstrap Bill Turner. His only child, savvy?” Jack told him.

Gibbs raised an eyebrow, “Is he, now? Leverage, says you. I think I feel a change in the wind, says I. I’ll find us a crew. There’s bound to be some sailors on this rock crazy as you.”

Jack smiled, “One can only hope. Take what you can…” he raised his mug in a toast.

Gibbs did the same and their tankards clinked, he finished the phrase, “…Give nothing back.” and they both drank.

The Next Morning

Gibbs walked beside Jack as he inspected a rag tag line up of men, “Feast your eyes, Captain. All of them, faithful hands before the mast, every man worth his salt. And crazy to boot.”

“So this is your able-bodied crew?” Jack asked rhetorically.

Jack stopped in front of one, “You, sailor!”

Gibbs interjected, “That be Cotton, sir.”

Jack pressed him, “Mr. Cotton … do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death? Mr. Cotton ! Answer, man!”

“He's a mute, sir. Poor devil had his tongue cut out, so he trained the parrot to talk for him. No one’s yet figured how.” Gibbs explained.

Jack was undeterred, he looked at the parrot on Cotton’s shoulder, “Mr. Cotton's... parrot. Same question.”

“Wind in the sails! Wind in the sails!” the parrot answered.

“Mostly, we figure, that means “yes.'” Gibbs shrugged.

Jack went over to another and removed the sailors hat, revealing a woman, Anamaria. She slapped him.

Anamaria accused him, “You stole my boat!”

Jack began to reason with her, “Actually…” she slapped him again. “Borrowed. Borrowed without permission. But with every intention of bringing it back to you.”

“But you didn’t!”

“You’ll get another one.” Jack told her.

“A better one.” Will added.

Jack agreed, “A better one!”

“That one.” Will pointed out the Interceptor.

Jack did a double take, “What one? That one?! Aye, that one. What say you?” he hastily stated.

A cry of “Aye!” went up from the rag tag group.

The gulls went quiet; that was the first sign that anything was amiss. Jack checked his compass for the umpteenth time and it still didn’t help. The wind suddenly turned much stronger, Jack turned around; he sensed something. Something that made him uneasy, however, he didn’t want to spook the crew unnecessarily, pirates were a superstitious lot at the best of times.

He gave the order to make use of the stronger wind “Full sail” he ordered Gibbs, the first mate.

The Interceptor picked up speed.

Then it happened, from the crow’s nest a yell, “Ship ahoy!”

Jack looked through his spy glass, “The Dutchman” he cursed.

The cursed ship was far behind but Jack wanted to take no chances, “Mr Gibbs, get some men down in the hold, loose any dead weight!” he ordered.

“Aye Cap’n!” Gibbs replied and got to it, shouting at men to do whatever was needed.

Men began hauling up barrels and anything not tied down to be thrown over board.

“Be quick about it!” Jack yelled as he watched the ship behind them through his spy glass.

It was pandemonium as crew hauled and heaved as fast as they could to lighten the load. In the chaos, one of them, a pirate named Duncan, was swept overboard along with four barrels that were tied together. Nobody saw it happen. He yelled to his crewmates but the wind was so loud by now that nobody could hear him. He watched forlorn as the Interceptor quickly became smaller and smaller while he clung to the floating barrels. Before long the Dutchman approached, Duncan was hauled aboard and made the same offer that Davy Jones made to all doomed sailors; ‘serve one hundred years before the mast or face certain death at sea’. Duncan, like many a sailor and pirate before him, chose to serve.

=================================================

You have 24 hrs to submit your Night actions, please be sure not to miss this deadline.

**Reminder - if you didn’t post during Day any unique ability you may have is voided for this Twilight/Night phase.

There are 0 clues in this story.

Living players: Still sailing the seven seas

2. Drogo

3. Machiabelly

4. Deadpool

5. aquarian1

6. The Crazed Spruce

7. statsgirl

8. Snookums

9. terrymct

11. TexasGal

14. helenamonster

15. deaja

16. SVNBob

Dead players: Gone down to Davy Jones’ locker

17. Lisin - Crimp - Lookout - Hero

You are Crimp, a pirate operating in and around Tortuga.

Twilight Ability

Each Twilight you may choose a player to watch over and will learn if anyone visits them for any reason.

12. peachmangosteen - Pintel - Protector - Villain

You are Pintel, a pirate, most notably aboard the Black Pearl, led by Hector Barbossa and Jack Sparrow. You are rarely seen without your partner in crime and nephew, Ragetti. After your brother was lost at sea, Ragetti came to live with you. One day, while drunk, you were both press-ganged into service by the British Royal Navy, but did not take well to this life. After a year of beatings, bad food and boredom, you both jumped ship and set yourselves up as pirates in the Caribbean. Soon after joining Jack Sparrow's crew aboard the Black Pearl, you and many others joined Barbossa in a mutiny against Jack.

Twilight Ability

Each Twilight you may choose one person from your team (yourself included) to protect from being Night killed. You may not choose the same player consecutively.  Please note once Twilight has been announced you have 12 hrs to submit your actions.

1. MarkHB - MarkHB - Ragetti - Investigator - Villain

You are Ragetti, a pirate, most notably aboard the Black Pearl, led by Hector Barbossa and Jack Sparrow. You are rarely seen without your partner in crime and uncle, Pintel. After your father was lost at sea, you went to live with your uncle. One day, while drunk, you were both press-ganged into service by the British Royal Navy, but did not take well to this life. After a year of beatings, bad food and boredom, you both jumped ship and set yourselves up as pirates in the Caribbean. Soon after joining Jack Sparrow's crew aboard the Black Pearl, you and many others joined Barbossa in a mutiny against Jack.

Night Ability

As an investigator you may PM the game mods each Night to learn the identity of your chosen player. You will receive one of the following responses: Character identity or No Result.

10. JTMacc99 – Elizabeth Swann – Detective - Hero

You are Elizabeth Swann, the daughter of Governor Weatherby Swann. Born in London, England, you’ve led a fairly sheltered life of privilege throughout your childhood. With an adventurous spirit and the need to break social boundaries, you have long been fascinated with the freewheeling world of buccaneers to a point of learning a song about pirates as a child. After the death of your mother, your father raised his you on his own. Much to your father's dismay, pirates always fascinated you as a girl, particularly on the HMS Dauntless' voyage from England to the British colony at Port Royal on the vibrant and prosperous island of Jamaica. When the Dauntless crew rescued young Will Turner, a mysterious shipwreck survivor from a pirate attack, you recognized the "pirate medallion" he wore and stole it while he was still unconscious.

Night Ability

As an investigator you may PM the game mods each Night to learn the role of your chosen player. You will receive one of the following responses: Character identity or No Result.

13. raven – Commodore James Norrington - Mason - Hero

You are Commodore James Norrington, an officer of the British Royal Navy and the East India Trading Company. Bewigged and resplendent in your uniform and owe your allegiance to King George II. You take pride in service to others before yourself, and having a strong dedication to the law, you are the scourge of piracy in the Caribbean.

Mason Ability

You form a mason pair with Snookums. This means you are permitted to chat outside the game thread between yourselves in a PM.

18. festivus - Duncan - Universal Backup Investigator - Hero

You are Duncan, a pirate operating in and around Tortuga.

Passive Ability

You start the game as a vanilla Townie with no actions. However, whenever the first power role dies (i.e. Doctor, Detective, Vigilante, etc.), the Universal back-up inherits that power role and can use it themselves from then on.  You will be PM’d with details when\if this happens.

Night Ability

As an investigator you may PM the game mods each Night to learn the role of your chosen player. You will receive one of the following responses: Character identity or No Result.

• Love 2

Mea  Culpa.

tenor.gif

I made a continuity screw up in the Night story. Commodore Norrington be dead already. Derp. tenor.gif

Please forgive my derp-y-ness and let us consider that the part played by the dearly departed Commodore was, in fact, his twin brother making a cameo appearance, heh.tenor.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Day 4

The Tale of The Curse

Governor Swann was taken aboard the Pearl.

“He’s invoked the right of parley with Captain Barbossa” the pirate holding the prisoner told Weatherby.

Barbossa appeared on deck.

“Captain Barbossa, I am here to negotiate the cessation of hostilities against Port Royal” the Governor told him formally.

Barbossa listened then said, “There are a lot of long words in there; we’re naught but humble pirates. What is it that you want?”

“I want you to leave and never come back.”

Without missing a beat Barbossa responded, “I’m disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means “no.””

153b29321ca8deed955245827695.gif

Governor Swann was no fool; he held the medallion out over the waters, “Very well. I’ll drop it then.”

Barbossa shrugged, “Me holds are burstin' with swag. That bit of shine matters to us? Why?”

“It’s what you’ve been searching for. I heard your men talking about it while they were ransacking my property”

He appeared unaffected, “Did ya, now?”

“Fine. Well, I suppose if it is worthless then there’s no point in me keeping it.” The Governor let the chain slip through his fist a little, which made the pirates lunge forward with a collective gasp.

Barbossa knew the trap was sprung, “Very well, you hand it over and we’ll put your town to our rudder and ne’er return.”

The Governor handed it over, “Our bargain?” he asked as Barbossa walked away.

“Wait! You have to take me to shore. According to the Code of the Order of the Brethren—“ he began.

“First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so, I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate’s code to apply and you’re not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Governor.”

tenor.gif?itemid=7844913

“Then release me, you have your trinket; I’m of no further value to you.”

“You don’t know what this is, do ye?” Barbossa held up the medallion.

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

“It’s a pirate medallion.”

“This is Aztec gold… one of 882 identical pieces they delivered in a stone chest to Cortés himself. Blood money paid to stem the slaughter he wreaked upon them with his armies. But the greed of Cortés was insatiable. So the heathen gods placed upon the gold…a terrible curse. Any mortal that removes but a single piece from that stone chest shall be punished for eternity.” Barbossa told him.

“I hardly believe in ghost stories, Captain Barbossa.” The Governor scoffed.

“Aye. That’s exactly what I thought when we were first told the tale. Buried on an Island of Dead what cannot be found except for those who know where it is. Find it, we did. There be the chest. Inside be the gold. And we took ‘em all. We spent ‘em and traded ‘em and frittered ‘em away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave ‘em away, the more we came to realize…the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men. Compelled by greed, we were, but now we are consumed by it. There is one way we can end our curse. All the scattered pieces of the Aztec gold must be restored and thanks to ye, we have the final piece.”

Unnoticed, the governor held a butter knife that he’d grabbed before being taken from his house, up his sleeve.

“Then why do you need me?” he asked.

“Call it assurance, if the British navy see fit to be chasin’ us that is” Barbossa enlightened him, “That’s why there’s no sense to be killin’ ye…yet.”

He turned to walk away and the governor stabbed him with the knife but the pirate captain showed no sign of pain. He removed it.

“I’m curious – after killin’ me what was it you plannin’ on doing next?” he enquired of the Governor.

The frightened Governor turned and saw the pirates; all were decaying skeletons.

“Look! The moonlight shows us for what we really are. We are not among the living, and so we cannot die, but neither are we dead. For too long I’ve been parched with thirst and unable to quench it. Too long I’ve been starving to death and haven’t died. I feel nothing – not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea, nor the warmth of a woman’s flesh.”

Barbossa stepped into a strip of moonlight, which revealed his skeletal face.

“You best start believing in ghost stories Governor. You’re in one!”

pirates+transformation.gif

Barbossa took a bottle of rum and drank. It poured over his ribs, and down onto the deck. He and the crew laughed at the look of horror on the governor’s face.

“What are ye looking at? Back to work!” he ordered the crew.

The Black Pearl and its crew had been under the command of Captain Jack Sparrow until they’d mutinied a decade before, stealing the bearings for Isla de Muerta from him, and then marooning him with a pistol containing only one shot. The island of the dead hid a cursed Aztec treasure that the crew of the Black Pearl discovered, but believing the curse to be a myth, they took the Aztec treasure for themselves. Shocked by this action, Will's father, "Bootstrap Bill" Turner, the only pirate who protested against the mutiny, sent one of the cursed gold pieces away to his son in order to ensure a fitting punishment for the crew's betrayal. In retaliation, Barbossa ordered Bootstrap to be tied to a cannonball and thrown overboard.

Aboard the Interceptor

Will watched as Jack closed the compass, then asked Mr Gibbs, “How is it that Jack came by that compass and why does he keep looking at it if it’s broken?”

“Not a lot’s known about Jack Sparrow before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of the Isla de Muerta. That was before I met him, back when he was Captain of the Black Pearl.”

“What? He failed to mention that.” a shocked Will answered.

Gibbs shrugged, “Well, he plays things closer to the vest now. And a hard-learned lesson it was. See three days out on the venture the first mate comes to him and says everything’s an equal share. That should mean the location of the treasure, too, so Jack gives up the bearings. That night there was a mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island and left him to die but not before he’d gone mad with the heat.”

“Ah. So that's the reason for all the…” Will threw his hands up gesticulating like Jack.

“Reason's got nothing to do with it. Now Will , when a man is marooned he is a given a pistol with a single shot – one shot. Well it won't do much good hunting or to be rescued. But after three weeks of a starvin’ belly and thirst, that pistol will start to look real friendly. But Jack – he escaped the island, and he still has that one shot. Oh, but he won't use it, though, save for one man. His mutinous first mate.” Gibbs explained.

“Barbossa.” Will spoke.

Gibbs nodded, “Aye.”

“How did Jack get off the island?”

“Well, I’ll tell ye. He waded out into the shallows and there he waited three days and three nights till all manner of sea creature ‘came and acclimated to his presence. And on the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed ‘em together and made a raft.” Gibbs said animatedly.

Will looked suspicious, “He roped a couple of sea turtles?”

“Aye, sea turtles.”

m4EMB5A.gif

“What did he use for rope?”

tumblr_m9aai2QLYS1qaho1po1_500.gif

Jack appeared and answered, “Human hair…from my back. Let go of the anchor!”

tumblr_m9aai2QLYS1qaho1po3_500.gif

“Young Mr. Turner and I are to go ashore.” he informed his first mate.

“Captain! What if the worst should happen?” Gibbs asked worriedly.

“Keep to the code.”

Gibbs nodded solemnly, “Aye, the code.”

In a cave full of treasure on Isla de Muerta, Barbossa spoke to his crew, “Gentlemen, the time has come! Our salvation is nigh! Our torment is near at end. For ten years we’ve been tested and tried, and each man jack of you here has proved his mettle a hundred times over and a hundred times again!”

The men cheered loudly as Jack and Will crept around unseen.

“Punished, we were. The lot of us - disproportionate to our crimes! Here it is - he threw off the chest’s lid - …the cursed treasure of Cortés himself."

img08.jpg

"Every last piece that went astray, we have returned…save for this” he held up the medallion, 881 we found but despaired of ever finding the last. You know the first thing I’m goin’ to do after the curse is lifted? Eat a whole bushel of apples.”

Will hit Jack over the head with an oar that he'd found on the ground, “Sorry, Jack. I’m not going to be your leverage.” he said to the prone pirate.

Barbossa dropped the medallion into the chest. The room was quiet as the pirates waited in anticipation to see if it worked.

“How do we tell?” one called out.

Barbossa shot him.

Another exclaimed, “You’re not dead. It didn’t work. The curse is still upon us!”

Barbossa grabbed the Governor, “Where’s his child? The child that sailed from England eight years ago, the child in whose veins flows the blood of William Turner. Where?!”

He pistol whipped the wide eyed and confused Governor who fell down. The crew were angry and arguing, casting blame this way and that. In the confusion, Will quickly slipped over to the injured Governor and pulled him up, then they made good their escape.

On Barbossa’s shoulder, Jack the monkey chittered wildly, he backflipped over and over then jumped off onto the chest in a somersault and pointed at the escaping duo.

Noticing the acrobatics, Barbossa realised his prisoner was getting away and caught a glimpse of gold, “The medallion! He’s taken it! Get after him! You feckless pack of ingrates!” he bellowed.

Will and the Governor reached the Interceptor safely.

Gibbs greeted them, “Welcome aboard, Governor Swann” Then to Will, “Hey, boy, where be Jack?”

Will, in a hurry, answered, “He fell behind.”

Gibbs remembered and repeated, “Keep to the code.” he commanded the crew.

“Weigh anchor! Hoist the sails! Make quickly, divvies.” Anamaria called out.

In their search, the crew of the Black Pearl discovered Jack wandering around somewhat dazed. Jack insisted on being taken to Barbossa, he invoked the right of Parley.

Upon seeing him a shocked Barbossa grinned, “Gents, you all remember Captain Jack Sparrow? Kill him.” he smirked as the pirates all pointed their weapons at Jack.

Jack held up his hands, “Wait, just wait a moment. The coin didn’t work, did it” he stated knowingly.

“Hold your fire! You know where the child of Bootstrap be?”

“I know where the child of Bootstrap be” Jack affirmed.

Back aboard the Interceptor, Governor Swann returned the medallion to Will who looked at it as he spoke, “I thought I’d lost it the day they rescued me. It was a gift from my father. He sent it to me.”

"I believe it's you they're after" the Governor told Will.

Jack the monkey watched them from a hidden spot, he planned to steal the coin back.

tumblr_o8095nQybA1rk4nywo2_500.gif

Suddenly, a hand grabbed the crafty little primate from behind.

“Gotcha” Gibbs said with satisfaction.

Jack the monkey was sinking, lower and lower he went. All around him became a darker and darker blue, almost black. He was trapped in a cage, which sank beyond the ocean floor and into the gaping chasm of an underwater volcano that loomed ominously just off the island’s coast.

Flashforward

Something blue and gold fell from the night sky like a colourful comet. Cotton’s parrot had been shot and killed by Beckett’s man, Mercer, from aboard HMS Dauntless as it flew towards Isla de Muerta to take a warning message to Jack and company…

===============================================

There are 2 clues in this story. You have 36 hrs until Day ends and Twilight begins unless a DL is completed beforehand.

6 votes are required to complete a DL.

Living players: Still sailing the seven seas

2. Drogo

4. Deadpool

5. aquarian1

7. statsgirl

8. Snookums

9. terrymct

11. TexasGal

14. helenamonster

15. deaja

16. SVNBob

Dead players: Gone down to Davy Jones’ locker

17. Lisin - Crimp - Lookout - Hero

You are Crimp, a pirate operating in and around Tortuga.

Twilight Ability

Each Twilight you may choose a player to watch over and will learn if anyone visits them for any reason.

12. peachmangosteen - Pintel - Protector - Villain

You are Pintel, a pirate, most notably aboard the Black Pearl, led by Hector Barbossa and Jack Sparrow. You are rarely seen without your partner in crime and nephew, Ragetti. After your brother was lost at sea, Ragetti came to live with you. One day, while drunk, you were both press-ganged into service by the British Royal Navy, but did not take well to this life. After a year of beatings, bad food and boredom, you both jumped ship and set yourselves up as pirates in the Caribbean. Soon after joining Jack Sparrow's crew aboard the Black Pearl, you and many others joined Barbossa in a mutiny against Jack.

Twilight Ability

Each Twilight you may choose one person from your team (yourself included) to protect from being Night killed. You may not choose the same player consecutively.  Please note once Twilight has been announced you have 12 hrs to submit your actions.

1. MarkHB - MarkHB - Ragetti – Investigator - Villain

You are Ragetti, a pirate, most notably aboard the Black Pearl, led by Hector Barbossa and Jack Sparrow. You are rarely seen without your partner in crime and uncle, Pintel. After your father was lost at sea, you went to live with your uncle. One day, while drunk, you were both press-ganged into service by the British Royal Navy, but did not take well to this life. After a year of beatings, bad food and boredom, you both jumped ship and set yourselves up as pirates in the Caribbean. Soon after joining Jack Sparrow's crew aboard the Black Pearl, you and many others joined Barbossa in a mutiny against Jack.

Night Ability

As an investigator you may PM the game mods each Night to learn the identity of your chosen player. You will receive one of the following responses: Character identity or No Result.

10. JTMacc99 – Elizabeth Swann – Detective - Hero

You are Elizabeth Swann, the daughter of Governor Weatherby Swann. Born in London, England, you’ve led a fairly sheltered life of privilege throughout your childhood. With an adventurous spirit and the need to break social boundaries, you have long been fascinated with the freewheeling world of buccaneers to a point of learning a song about pirates as a child. After the death of your mother, your father raised his you on his own. Much to your father's dismay, pirates always fascinated you as a girl, particularly on the HMS Dauntless' voyage from England to the British colony at Port Royal on the vibrant and prosperous island of Jamaica. When the Dauntless crew rescued young Will Turner, a mysterious shipwreck survivor from a pirate attack, you recognized the "pirate medallion" he wore and stole it while he was still unconscious.

Night Ability

13. raven – Commodore James Norrington – Mason - Hero

You are Commodore James Norrington, an officer of the British Royal Navy and the East India Trading Company. Bewigged and resplendent in your uniform and owe your allegiance to King George II. You take pride in service to others before yourself, and having a strong dedication to the law, you are the scourge of piracy in the Caribbean.

Mason Ability

You form a mason pair with Snookums. This means you are permitted to chat outside the game thread between yourselves in a PM.

18. festivus - Duncan - Universal Backup Investigator - Hero

You are Duncan, a pirate operating in and around Tortuga.

Passive Ability

You start the game as a vanilla Townie with no actions. However, whenever the first power role dies (i.e. Doctor, Detective, Vigilante, etc.), the Universal back-up inherits that power role and can use it themselves from then on.  You will be PM’d with details when\if this happens.

Night Ability

3. Machiabelly – Jack the Monkey – Weak Disguiser - Villain

You are Jack the Monkey, or simply Jack, the capuchin pet monkey owned by the black-hearted Captain Hector Barbossa. Mockingly named after Captain Jack Sparrow, you’re considered the meanest, most rotten-tempered simian in all the Caribbean.

Twilight Ability

Each Twilight you may choose a Character Identity (This can be from the game or someone else from the POTC Universe) you’d like to be detected as; the success of your disguise will depend on a coin flip.  You will not be aware of the outcome of the coin flip.

6. The Crazed Spruce TCS – Cotton’s Parrot – Prankster - Hero

You are a stunning blue and gold macaw owned by Cotton, a pirate who lives in Shipwreck Cove. Cotton lost his tongue to another pirate. Unable to speak, he subsequently trained you to use a large number of phrases to essentially talk for him. How the mute Cotton achieved such a feat is unknown.

Night Ability

Each Night you may choose 1 player from among those who have not contributed within the game thread at all during the previous Day or Twilight to usurp their vote for the following Day. If everybody posts, you may choose from anyone. Your second vote will be added automatically to any DL you join as an anonymous vote placed by the mods.

2 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

And it is looking like the 2 villain factions is a thing.

I was just thinking the opposite.  What makes you sure?

20 minutes ago, deaja said:

Two animals in one story?

PETA will be here momentarily..

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Maybe someone died that her villain faction didn’t kill?

Yes, I’m still eyeing her quite suspiciously.

2 minutes ago, Drogo said:

No real clues or anything, just that everything has been so crazy and we've had an awful lot of heroes killed and the game is still going.  But I haven't done the math or anything.  Also, full disclosure, my mafia mechanics/structure knowledge is a bit rusty, too. 

Also, I'm not sure;  I said "It's looking like" not "its got to be" 

And I'm side-eyeing deaja hard for continually pointing the finger at me.  

Almost fell out of the damn chair, @deaja, lol tell us how you really feel. 

I was considering two villain factions also @aquarian1 but the story only has one Hero Death and no other attempts.  

N1- one Hero dead

N2- two Heroes (and one Villain) dead 

N3- one Hero (and one Villain) dead

6 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Almost fell out of the damn chair, @deaja, lol tell us how you really feel. 

I was considering two villain factions also @aquarian1 but the story only has one Hero Death and no other attempts.  

N1- one Hero dead

N2- two Heroes (and one Villain) dead 

N3- one Hero (and one Villain) dead

Who is killing the villains though? Like that almost makes me think there are two groups of them. I’m still newish though and it’s been awhile- are there powers that cause kills to backfire (generally speaking... I know all games are different). But then why did a hero still die if it’s a backfire-power type thing?

18 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

And I'm side-eyeing deaja hard for continually pointing the finger at me.  

I’m just looking at the DLs- a villain gets DLed and you’re nowhere until right after. You’ve joined two hero DLs. Maybe I’m misreading things, but it’s just a little odd to me.

You were on those same DLs, in fact you were often first!  Drogo was also on those DLs, as well as other people.  Like I said before., "I haven't been chatty because sometimes I'm just tongue tied, so to speak.  (Also sometimes my hands are tied, too.)"

I'm not kidding when I said I'm side eyeing you.  I am not seeing you as a Hero.  Based on past play leading up to the last DL, I was suspicious of you and another that I am not quite ready to name yet. 

• Useful 1
57 minutes ago, deaja said:

Who is killing the villains though? 

Jack Sparrow's First Mate, Gibbs. 

18 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I'm not kidding when I said I'm side eyeing you.  I am not seeing you as a Hero. 

Me neither. 

I'm looking for clues against @deaja's profile specifically. 

2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

You were on those same DLs, in fact you were often first! 

Actually, I wasn’t on the Festivus one and the one I was on that actually completed was for peach who was a villain, so even shadier in my opinion that you’re claiming we were on the same DLs when the only one we shared looking back was SVNBob. 

When Drogo asked about the anonymous vote a while ago, I replied

On 9/10/2019 at 12:59 AM, SVNBob said:

I have a theory, but as a precaution to protect the person I think has that ability, I'm not going to talk about it.

It was indeed Spruce I was referring to here.  I was pretty sure he had the anonymous vote power, but thought he was a different character.  But now I think that the character I thought he was is someone else.

3 Villains down; how many more to go? Potentially two; Barbossa (naturally) and Mercer.  He got the kill shot on Spruce.  So he's either a Villain, or he's a Veteran that didn't post yesterDay (per Spruce's ability) and the real Villain target was protected.  If I squint at the story, I can see the latter happening, so I'm not 100% sure which way to go on that.

My circle of trust stands at 3 1/3: Myself, Snookums (for obvious reasons), and 2 others that I trust 2/3rds each.  Maybe a little more on one of them.

I'm going to do some basic Mafia analysis instead of clue hunting.  I'll post my findings later.

I've run through the past and I think I have a bead on something actionable.

Looking at the votes for all the DL attempts on both Day 2 and 3, I noted that none of our known/deceased Villains voted on Day 2, but one did on Day 3; Machia. 

However, I also note that terrymct voted in both DLs on Day 3, but in neither on Day 2.  And at the beginning of Day 3, terry pointed a finger at Deadpool, who was the one that started the successful DL on peach.  That got lost when the votes swung my direction and later onto festivus.

Looking even closer, terry was the only person not to post on Day 1, so was the source of the Anonymous vote Spruce cast for peach.  They did comment on Day 2, but they were nothing posts; one about needing to watch the movie, then a joke about jumping into the water to defend yourself, when peach was being called on to defend themself.  There were more productive posts on Day 3; the aforementioned pointing at Deadpool, and agreeing to both DLs.  But there were also a couple of comments about mixing up the game profile (for clues) with a generic board profile.  Genuine confusion, or obfuscation?  (Or both...could be both.)

Call it a gut feeling, but I think this is the right course to steer:

1 to DL terrymct (SVNBob) 5 to draw the Black Spot.

Edited by SVNBob
3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I've run through the past and I think I have a bead on something actionable.

Looking at the votes for all the DL attempts on both Day 2 and 3, I noted that none of our known/deceased Villains voted on Day 2, but one did on Day 3; Machia. 

However, I also note that terrymct voted in both DLs on Day 3, but in neither on Day 2.  And at the beginning of Day 3, terry pointed a finger at Deadpool, who was the one that started the successful DL on peach.  That got lost when the votes swung my direction and later onto festivus.

Looking even closer, terry was the only person not to post on Day 1, so was the source of the Anonymous vote Spruce cast for peach.  They did comment on Day 2, but they were nothing posts; one about needing to watch the movie, then a joke about jumping into the water to defend yourself, when peach was being called on to defend themself.  There were more productive posts on Day 3; the aforementioned pointing at Deadpool, and agreeing to both DLs.  But there were also a couple of comments about mixing up the game profile (for clues) with a generic board profile.  Genuine confusion, or obfuscation?  (Or both...could be both.)

Call it a gut feeling, but I think this is the right course to steer:

1 to DL terrymct (SVNBob) 5 to draw the Black Spot.

That’s because I’m new to this and just figuring out how and when to vote.   I didn’t post on day 1 because I forgot where this thread was and when I found it, it was too late.  

I am openly and sadly still the village idiot.  Lol.  Improving slightly over time, I hope.  

I get what you're saying @terrymct, I do, but Peach also did the "I'm new around here" thing and turned up bad.  Just as returning players shouldn't be assumed to be villains, new players can't be assumed to be heroes.

That said..

On 9/10/2019 at 10:11 AM, terrymct said:

I’m completely outing myself as the character called The Village Idiot.  

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

I am openly and sadly still the village idiot.  

..the other problem I'm having is that you seem to be character-hinting above but I can't find anything on the Wiki.  Fake IDs are rarely used by anyone outside underage pirates and baddies.   

*Fixing the count @SVNBob since only 6 are needed to DL.  I'm feeling suspicious of another new player also, but not any more/less than I am of terry

2 to DL terrymct (SVNBob, Drogo) 4 to draw the Black Spot

I don't know guys, voting on a newbie for a joke about being the village idiot and because they haven't been posting a lot seems thin.  Maybe we should be questioning the two of you a bit more?  As for actual clues...

Are all the animals from today actually in the movies?  There is a gif of Jack the monkey so I assume he is.  But also sea turtles and the parrot.  statsgirl has 2 mentions of animals (her favorite book and her dream superpower).

Also, Jack the monkey doing "acrobatics" jumped out to me as potentially strange wording.  deaja's favorite sport is gymnastics. 

Using the logic that's being applied to me, it really looks like Aquarian1 is a villain.  He/she was very active as the game was being set up, but once people started looking for clues Aquarian1 didn't put forward any clues but instead jumped on DL's to help get rid of other players.  Wouldn't a hero be helping to find clues at least occasionally rather than primarily helping to assure a the loss of a character/person?

Aquarian1 came up as a potential DL and was dropped not because he/she was cleared but because another candidate gained momentum.   

Aquarian1 still has to be seriously considered as a villain.

7 minutes ago, terrymct said:

No I don't.  🙂  I am a hero through and through.  And I suspect that everyone that insists on pointing their finger at me are villains looking for an easy scapegoat.  They know who they are, they know I'm not in their group.  They can gang up on me and get another Hero DL-ed.  I've been active all game.  Timing may vary based on work (how many meetings) or after work extra-curriculars but I have been here every game day.  Not that it means anything, since we saw Fetivus was a hero after not being around much.

12 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

No I don't.  🙂  I am a hero through and through.  And I suspect that everyone that insists on pointing their finger at me are villains looking for an easy scapegoat.  They know who they are, they know I'm not in their group.  They can gang up on me and get another Hero DL-ed.  I've been active all game.  Timing may vary based on work (how many meetings) or after work extra-curriculars but I have been here every game day.  Not that it means anything, since we saw Fetivus was a hero after not being around much.

You've been active, but haven't really put much forward in the way of potential clues.

1 hour ago, terrymct said:

I’m going to take a guess that I can’t vote against killing myself off.  Lol

You can't veto or vote against your own DL, but you can either start a DL on someone else (hoping that will pick up more steam than the one against you) and/or just try to dissuade others from joining the DL on you.  If you're a hero, good ways to do that are finding compelling clues in the stories, hinting at who you are, and/or hinting what you can do to help them/why they should keep you around.  

Just now, terrymct said:

Aquarian1 came up as a potential DL and was dropped not because he/she was cleared but because another candidate gained momentum.   

A1's a pretty quiet mafia player in most games, but she's almost always an active voter (H or V) so it's hard to say which way she falls.  Reputations get picked up after playing together for a while, though not a perfect science:  SVNBob makes long posts that break things down real smoothlike but doesn't take DLs lightly.. Deadpool lives in the UK so he posts at weird times and like A1 he's a hard read..  Spruce always had weird hours, doesn't vote a whole lot but character-hints often especially when under fire.. Lisin clue-hunts hard and is likely to join a DL in progress.. don't ask anyone about my reputation because they all lie.    

Here's the other thing - the game's only fun if we're playing it.  I'm not really inclined to DL players like A1 who have been actively participating over people who really aren't (especially since the Villains aren't going to kill inactive players, they're going to come after the ones talking clues/voting on DLs/putting targets on their backs.)  When all our talkers are DL'd/NK'd what happens is we end up at Final 5 with no posts for the whole Day because the only people left alive haven't posted since Day 1-2 and/or are on the Villain squad.  Even the dead players will walk the plank to get away from that kind of boring. 

Wouldn't a hero be helping to find clues at least occasionally rather than primarily helping to assure a the loss of a character/person?

Clues are an aid to the Heroes, but not meant to be the only thing to rely on.  In fact, they're a fairly unique feature to our style of play.  But analyzing game activity is a constant across most Mafia-style games.  (The stories Drogo and I could tell... not that I want to remember that particular event. 😓)  That's why I went back to look at the votes and, due to Spruce's power, the daily activity.  And based on that analysis, I came to the conclusion that I posted.  I also may have found Mercer in the process, assuming they are indeed a Hero Veteran.

Nope.  aquarian's been character-claiming for a little while now.  Same as me, same as Spruce.  And there's been no counter-claims on that character, so it appears to be a valid claim.

8 minutes ago, Drogo said:

don't ask anyone about my reputation because they all lie. 

Whatever, Walter.  (Then again, I'm one to talk considering that one game....).  But seriously, Drogo is an advocate for action and discussion.  As long as something pro-active or productive is happening in the game, he's good.  He's also the most likely of us to start a DL on Day 1, but it's because of the reasons already stated.  We just joke that he's the bloodthirsty one.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

Clues are an aid to the Heroes, but not meant to be the only thing to rely on.  In fact, they're a fairly unique feature to our style of play.  But analyzing game activity is a constant across most Mafia-style games.  (The stories Drogo and I could tell... not that I want to remember that particular event. 😓)  That's why I went back to look at the votes and, due to Spruce's power, the daily activity.  And based on that analysis, I came to the conclusion that I posted.  I also may have found Mercer in the process, assuming they are indeed a Hero Veteran.

Nope.  aquarian's been character-claiming for a little while now.  Same as me, same as Spruce.  And there's been no counter-claims on that character, so it appears to be a valid claim.

Whatever, Walter.  (Then again, I'm one to talk considering that one game....).  But seriously, Drogo is an advocate for action and discussion.  As long as something pro-active or productive is happening in the game, he's good.  He's also the most likely of us to start a DL on Day 1, but it's because of the reasons already stated.  We just joke that he's the bloodthirsty one.

Are you and Aquarian protecting each other?  Do people make pacts or behind the scenes stuff?

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

Are you and Aquarian protecting each other?  Do people make pacts or behind the scenes stuff?

Only villains and masons protect each other/ have behind the scenes stuff.  

Most heroes need to go by clues, gameplay, hints, and any powers they may have. 

2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

And there's been no counter-claims on that character, so it appears to be a valid claim.

If she's the character she's hinting at, she'd be a lot closer to Spruce than Bob.