Azure seems an intentional word choice here- 

Players with blue as their favorite color:

• Deadpool
  • Lisin
  • Machiabelly 
  • Peachmangosteen
  • Statsgirl

I thought the same thing @Drogo.

First re-read had me think about the mentions of colors. We’ve got the young Elizabeth noticing the black and white flag, on the ship emerging from the grey fog and looking at the azure water. All of which fit fine with the storytelling, so probably not clues, especially since this is my first go around with this stuff. 

Azure stood out as interesting because it’s not quite the same as saying Blue, but with five of us liking blue, it doesn’t really narrow it down much. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

I'm just gonna perch here

Like a parrot?  A pirate's parrot?  Or Jack Sparrow atop the sinking dory? Hmm.

I thought maybe "Jolly Mon" was a clue - it's a book written by Jimmy Buffett and his daughter, as well as a song.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

, but with five of us liking blue, it doesn’t really narrow it down much. 

Sounds like something a villain would say. 😉

9 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Azure and London both seem feasible to me.  However, that could make them non-clues since I never get the clues right. 🙂 

I’m really good at finding clues. 

The only problem is they never end up actually being clues. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Minor detail.

24 minutes ago, deaja said:

Sounds like something a villain would say. 😉

Aye, it does! Especially if I were one of the five who had blue as their favorite color or was trying to protect some or all of them. The thing about the azure passage in the story is there is also the decision to describe the fog as grey.

A massive ship emerged from the grey and unnatural fog. The HMS Dauntless, the pride of the British Royal Navy, was sailing on a voyage from England to the British settlement of Port Royal. As the ship sailed through the Caribbean Sea, a young girl, Elizabeth Swann, stood at the bow rail and gazed at the azure water as she quietly sung a pirate shanty.

Azure water is a cool way to describe the water in the Caribbean, but pretty much all fog is gray. 

Only one player lists gray as a favorite color. 

Drogo

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

First re-read had me think about the mentions of colors. We’ve got the young Elizabeth noticing the black and white flag, on the ship emerging from the grey fog and looking at the azure water.

Black and White = Grey

Grey fog

Drogo’s favorite color is grey...

I’m just saying with so many of us having blue listed as a favorite color  azure seems too broad of a clue. I’m not saying the colors are or aren’t clues, but if they are I think they are more likely to point to one player not five. 

Aaaand we all posted at once! I’m going back to re read. 

I try not to look for clues within canon content.  Pirate flags are black and white.  The dress did come from London. The fog was grey. 

The water that day (in the fog GIF) was not azure:

Azure (/ˈæʒər, ˈeɪʒər/ AZH-ər, AY-zhər)[2][3] is a bright cyan-blue color that is often described as the color of the sky on a clear day.[4]

Remember... Our game runners are very clever. They're not going to hint at blue with blue or grey with grey.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I try not to look for clues within canon content.  Pirate flags are black and white.  The dress did come from London. The fog was grey. 

Azure (/ˈæʒər, ˈeɪʒər/ AZH-ər, AY-zhər)[2][3] is a bright cyan-blue color that is often described as the color of the sky on a clear day.[4]

Remember... Our game runners are very clever. They're not going to hint at blue with blue or grey with grey.

I agree they never have obvious clues simply pointing to someones favourite colour.

Great story too!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I agree they’re clever which is why I think a clue that arbitrarily points to five people who odds are can’t all be Villains. That was my main point. 

3 minutes ago, Lisin said:

I agree they’re clever which is why I think a clue that arbitrarily points to five people who odds are can’t all be Villains. That was my main point. 

If it's about a favorite color. It might be related to something else in the profiles. 

Kind of salty about my bringing up a clue and 5 names, aren't you?

• Love 1

A massive ship emerged from the grey and unnatural fog. The HMS Dauntless, the pride of the British Royal Navy, was sailing on a voyage from England to the British settlement of Port Royal. As the ship sailed through the Caribbean Sea, a young girl, Elizabeth Swann, stood at the bow rail and gazed at the azure water as she quietly sung a pirate shanty.

Since the grey fog was unnatural the water could still be azure fwiw. 

Also, in all the games I've modded and played clues have often been from story related items so that doesn't hold much water (heh) necessarily. 

I don't actually think the colors are clues at all. My only point is that any clue we find should probably point to a single player not a whole bunch. 

7 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Kind of salty about my bringing up a clue and 5 names, aren't you?

Not at all, I just don't think it's logical. 

Now, to try to actually figure out some stuff. I've never seen any of these movies because I'm still mad at Johnny Depp for killing River Phoenix.

People who know the movies should help edit this list. Obviously some are NPCs and we also obviously haven't met everyone yet, but... 

Characters mentioned:

1. Lord Cutler Beckett
  2. Mercer
  3. Jack Sparrow
  4. Lord Penwallow 
  5. King George II
  6. Elizabeth Swann
  7. Joshamee Gibbs
  8. Commodore Norrington
  9. Governor Weatherby Swann.
  10. Will Turner
2 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Those are the clues I find as well, deaja.

Lies, don't believe him... Mach is one of only a handful of players that have found an actual clue in past games.  

Another player Ser Jorah is the reigning champ; I think he found like 3-4 in one game.. he was a real PITA as a villain. 

6 hours ago, raven said:

I thought maybe "Jolly Mon" was a clue - it's a book written by Jimmy Buffett and his daughter, as well as a song.

I have no clue what I’m doing here, but the ship names jumped out at me too.  WIcked Wench and HMS Dauntless are apparently in the Pirates universe but didn’t see this one. Can’t find any correlation with any of youse bad guy profiles though so <meh>.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

If anyone who is familiar with the movies could fill us in on what's canon in the story details, that would be awesome.

I just watched the first film this weekend (for the first time) and the story's pretty much a replay...

Except that first part with the East India Company, they're not in Black Pearl. The film begins with little Elizabeth on the deck, singing.  There's just minor mention that they're the ones who branded Jack's arm with a "P" for pirate. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, raven said:

The Jolly Mon is the first boat Jack Sparrow appears on - its sinking as he pulls up, so he quickly gets into the market for a replacement vessel.  

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

I just watched the first film this weekend (for the first time) and the story's pretty much a replay...

Except that first part with the East India Company, they're not in Black Pearl. The film begins with little Elizabeth on the deck, singing.  There's just minor mention that they're the ones who branded Jack's arm with a "P" for pirate. 

Yep. Everything in our story from where Elizabeth shows up is almost word for word how Black Pearl starts with the exception of a few adjectives like grey and azure. Everything before that is either from another movie or original story. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Everything before that is either from another movie or original story. 

I'm pretty sure that Jack being labeled a pirate because he liberated a slave ship is canon, and revealed in one of the later movies.  Disney needed him to be a "good guy" pirate, so he had to have become an outlaw for good reasons.  In DnD alignment speak, he's Neutral/Chaotic Good instead of Lawful.  (For comparison, Norrington is Lawful Good/Neutral.)

Which means that Jack Sparrow is sort of a nautical Robin Hood.  Huh.

Anyway, game-wise, I've got nothing as well.  The only new bit of speculation I can add is that this part:

Elizabeth awoke from a dream of that fateful day. The medallion lay in a secret compartment of a drawer in her room, where it had been for the last eight years. She retrieved it and impulsively decided to put it on.

stuck out after a little retrospect.  Did anyone mention poor impulse control or something similar as their weakness in their profile?  It's at least a different path to look down than one of colo(u)r.

Now I know @Drogo won't want to hear this, but I am advocating for No DL toDay.  For three reasons. 

First, we've got nothing to go on yet.  Any shots fired would be shots in the dark, and more likely to hit one of the good guys than a bad one.

Second, I think a No DL on Day 1 will help our new players get fully up to speed.  So far, I've seen a lot of good attempts at speculating and theorizing, so they're getting that part down.  I think a bit more time will be good for them.

Third, as has been said, we're not that kind of pirates.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Now I know @Drogo won't want to hear this, but I am advocating for No DL toDay. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7830501

Full disclosure for our new friends, I do like Day 1 DL's (or attempts) but only when there's more motion in the ocean.  Yes we will probably miss and hit a Hero, but the Villains are going to kill one of us tonight anyway, so there's no sense in pretending we're all going to live forever and missing an opportunity to ID a bunch of Villains on a Hero DL (to be combined with potential clues and strange gameplay they may exhibit later.)  It's been very quiet so I could agree with a no-DL Day 1... also, we're running out of time.  

Question for @SilverStormm and @CuriousParker - will this game have Last Will & Testament or should we all just say our observations about other players out loud before Night falls?  

7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Second, I think a No DL on Day 1 will help our new players get fully up to speed.  So far, I've seen a lot of good attempts at speculating and theorizing, so they're getting that part down.  I think a bit more time will be good for them.

I’m okay with this as one of the many new people. 

Having said that, I’ve been through the story a few times (read it from bottom to top, it helps spot things that are superfluous) and I feel pretty comfortable that the only words out of place are the unnecessary additions of grey to fog and azure to water. Does azure point to something else in someone’s profile, like their favorite movie is Avatar? Maybe, but I can’t find it. 

Or is it as simple as Drogo said his favorite color is gray, and this just happens to be an easy one because there are so many new people?

I’m in full blown detective mode here, heh. I guess if I get murdered overnight, y’all can assume I was on to something. (Or that I wasn’t, and that’ll get another innocent killed off tomorrow. Lol. This game is interesting.)

• Love 2

I'm normally for a DL or DL attempt, too, since you at least learn something.  However, I am not so gung ho "today", but that's mostly selfishly since I haven't been around much the past 24 hours so have not reread or participated much.  But it's also due to not having much to go on since it seems a lot of us were in the same boat.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

a lot of us were in the same boat.

I see what you did there. 

One thing that's sticking out to me since I watched the film very recently and as @JTMacc99 said the part about finding Will/Elizabeth's dress/Jack's arrival from the film is pretty much word for word.  

When the Governor gives Elizabeth the dress in the film, he says a beautiful (but transparent) line here: 

39kkmn.jpg

But in the story, it's written as: 

“Can’t a father simply wish to spoil his daughter” he replied kindly,

Could be it was written from memory, could be the clue.  

24 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Question for @SilverStormm and @CuriousParker - will this game have Last Will & Testament or should we all just say our observations about other players out loud before Night falls?  

No Wills in this game, we're keeping it straightforward for the new peeps.

Re clues, this game is the same as any of my other games - no easy ride bc new peeps - sorry new peeps, as my granny said, you must sink or swim (heh)!

• Love 1

Listen up me hearties!

I fancy it only be fair to be reminding all ye new folks just this once, lest ye be drinking too much rum and might be ye forget:

Players must post at least once during Day or lose use of any ability that Twilight/Night.

Savvy?

• Love 1

The "azure" thing seems like a fairly likely clue to me, but it's not quite specific enough. And besides, it's like @SVNBob said, it wouldn't hurt to let the new players get their sea legs. So to speak. 

And since we've only got about 10 hours left, it's just as well to kick off the vote now.

1 No DL (TCS), 9 to swing from the crow's nest

4 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

The "azure" thing seems like a fairly likely clue to me ...

I'm feeling like the azure thing has to be a clue but as to what I don't know lol. I mean it can't just be to the fave color of blue because so many of us put that. Plus the fact that it's a specific shade of blue. 

• Love 1

Azure is also a large Microsoft computing program.  I was thinking that was more likely than it pointing to a person who likes the color blue - unless all the villains like blue or something.  However, I scanned profiles and I didn't see anyone list using computers as a special ability or something they wish they knew more about. Nor did anyone list Bill Gates on their dinner guest list.

25 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm feeling like the azure thing has to be a clue but as to what I don't know lol. I mean it can't just be to the fave color of blue because so many of us put that. Plus the fact that it's a specific shade of blue. 

Well, aren't you a breath of fresh air?  Yes, let's keep talking!  

It's a specific shade of blue, and also not the appropriate shade of blue for the scene. See below where the fog is grey and the water is most assuredly not azure/"the color of the sky on a clear day."

817260429_willt.JPG.c7b51829b31fd31a234251dcbfb1db43.JPG

background-007FFF.svg

Very possibly, it's pointing to a favorite color.  No one said the clue would point right to one person.  But maybe not.  

If we Google Azure... we get a Microsoft product front and center.  Cloud computing software.  None of us were boring enough to invite Bill Gates to our four person dinner.    

Then there's the possibility azure is linked to something else in a player's profile, ex: a character in a favorite movie or the author of their favorite book, etc. 

• @raven has The Expanse listed as her favorite TV show, which has a prospector ship called the Azure Dragon.  According to the Wiki, it's not hugely important to the show, so probably not a clue for her, but you guys are picking up what I'm putting down.  
  • The Azure Dragon is also one of China's dragon gods, representing wood, the East, and springtime.  
  • There's a bird called the azure-hooded jay that lives in Central America.  
  • The French Riviera is known as Côte d'Azur. 

ETA:  Jinx @deaja we were both looking for Billy's dinner invitation. 

• Love 2

If we really want to dig into the colors, I have found the following as well:

• Snookums' game profile has a gif of a dog with some very blue chemistry set equipment, and later in the profile thread posted a gif with a very blue (azure, even?)  building in it.
  • peachesmangosteens cover photo background is shades of blue and grey (fave color is also blue)
  • JTMacc's cover photo is a dark blue (blue-grey, dare I say?)
  • MarkHB's cover photo is a very azure blue sky
  • statsgirl has a bright (azure?)  blue Adirondack chair has her profile pic, fave color is also blue
  • raven has ocean waves in her cover photo, but they are hardly blue

That said, I don't think these are conclusive at all. Just putting more out there. 

• Love 1

Stop, wait a minute- fill my cup, pour some rum in it...

azure_hex_code_color_mug-rd29a2280325948

Azure is 007FFF on the color wheel. 

I'm trying to find a James Bond connection, but it's proving difficult as I've never seen one of the films. 

• Love 1

After reading the thread so far I'm probably way off base, but:

” Beckett stated resolutely.

On my first read through this stood out for probably no good reason, unless somebody's favorite movie was National Treasure. The Resolute Desk, in the Oval Office, was made from the timbers of the HMS Resolute. It was gifted to Rutherford B. Hayes by Queen Victoria (fits into the timeline!)

Here's the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute_desk

(Its twin desk, from the same wood, is in the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmith, England, and is smaller, without drawers)

(I'm kinda obsessing on this desk)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

I'm trying to find a James Bond connection, but it's proving difficult as I've never seen one of the films. 

For what it's worth, Statsgirl is 7 on the list of players after the story.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Its twin desk, from the same wood, is in the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmith, England, and is smaller, without drawers)

Brief trivia intermission:

Portsmouth is a great place for anyone interested in British naval history - I've been on the HMS Victory (Lord Nelson's flagship in the Battle of Trafalgar) it was an experience.

Intermission ends.

Carry on!

32 minutes ago, Snookums said:

After reading the thread so far I'm probably way off base, but:

On my first read through this stood out for probably no good reason, unless somebody's favorite movie was National Treasure. The Resolute Desk, in the Oval Office, was made from the timbers of the HMS Resolute. It was gifted to Rutherford B. Hayes by Queen Victoria (fits into the timeline!)

Here's the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute_desk

(Its twin desk, from the same wood, is in the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmith, England, and is smaller, without drawers)

(I'm kinda obsessing on this desk)

The Resolute Desk came to my mind as well, probably for the exact same reason (THAT MOVIE IS SO GOOD THOUGH) But the closest I can get from profiles linking to "The Desk" would be Texas Gal wishing she could have met RFK, which still doesn't fully track because "The Desk" is in the famous picture of JFK Jr. RFK's nephew... but that seems tenuous to me as a connection. 

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

I've seen them all multiple times and am also not seeing anything. Doesn't mean it isn't there though! 

Which lead me down a rabbit hole of looking at all the player profiles that could have anything to do with blue and I thought Hmmmm... there's a man who drives a very famous BLUE Police Call Box around the galaxy through time, and lo, Festivus has listed Doctor Who as their favorite show, which lead me to google Doctor Who + Azure and I found this:

Azure was a planet which was home to a human colony. In 2116, Tryst, with the aid of Dymond, attempted to smuggle vraxoin to Azure. They were arrested by Fisk and Costa, with the aid of the Fourth Doctor, Romana II and K9. (TV: Nightmare of Eden)

In 2157, Azure was attacked by the Daleks shortly before their invasion of Earth. (PROSE: Lucifer Rising)

Which, isn't NOTHING but it also is only in one episode and it's a really old episode so it may be nothing... 

2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Snookums' game profile has a gif of a dog with some very blue chemistry set equipment, and later in the profile thread posted a gif with a very blue (azure, even?)  building in it.

Since Snookums posted that gif after the story had been posted (the gif went up 13 hours ago, story over 24...) I don't think that means anything. 

39 minutes ago, Lisin said:

Since Snookums posted that gif after the story had been posted (the gif went up 13 hours ago, story over 24...) I don't think that means anything. 

SHE'S NOT ONLY A VILLAIN BUT A TIME TRAVELING ONE! THAT'S THE MOST DANGEROUS KIND!

6 minutes ago, Drogo said:
1 hour ago, Machiabelly said:

For what it's worth, Statsgirl is 7 on the list of players after the story.

This I like. 

I could be convinced as well.  Seems plausible.