Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Stare at the Same Fires

• Start Topic

Violet confesses a hard truth to Hollywood; Micah turns to Ralph angel for advice about his relationship; Nova helps Charley when she hits a low point; and the community comes together at the queen Sugar Mill to say enough is enough.

Sounds like we learn the big secret between Vi and the senior Landry this episode.  Please make it worth the drama and something Charley can use to her advantage.  

While Micah generally annoys me, I do feel bad that RA is his best person to go to for relationship advice.  

Original air date 2019.08.19

• Love 1

Micah sending Nova after Charley 🙄

Poor Darla. 

Nova finally realized she was selfish plus self-serving about her book. All it took was her being told again that she had supposed facts about her parents all wrong. If only she had taken the time beforehand to interview folks other than Jimmy Dale. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

Nova finally realized she was selfish plus self-serving about her book. All it took was her being told again that she had supposed facts about her parents all wrong. If only she had taken the time beforehand to interview folks other than Jimmy Dale. 

That's what bugged me about Nova, as a journalist, you would think she'd know that research and fact-finding plays an integral role in writing. I wasn't ready for Charly to forgive her, but season almost over, so I guess they're tying loose ends.

Darla just can't catch a break; I was relieved she didn't take that drink from the bottle.

• Love 6

Boring filler episode.

Again, if Nova really wanted to write about the history of her family, she would have interviewed Prosper and done her research and found this aunt before some show did. She wrote a trashy tell-all because she knew that would sell. She can miss me with her apologies and her op-ed. The damage is done, at least she finally admitted she did it on purpose. I'm glad Vi isn't for her bullshit next week. Keep it up, Vi.

As for Darla, that boyfriend of hers wasn't shit, and she's better to be rid of him. You feel she is going to relapse so you peace the hell out without getting in touch with her sponsor or anyone for her? You just let her sink further into a dark space? What a douche.

I really don't care about Micah and his girlfriend.

I did like the community coming together for Charley. That was nice.

• Love 14
On 8/9/2019 at 5:04 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

While Micah generally annoys me, I do feel bad that RA is his best person to go to for relationship advice.  

This made me laugh so hard. 😅

2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Boring filler episode.

Again, if Nova really wanted to write about the history of her family, she would have interviewed Prosper and done her research and found this aunt before some show did. She wrote a trashy tell-all because she knew that would sell. She can miss me with her apologies and her op-ed. The damage is done, at least she finally admitted she did it on purpose. I'm glad Vi isn't for her bullshit next week. Keep it up, Vi.

As for Darla, that boyfriend of hers wasn't shit, and she's better to be rid of him. You feel she is going to relapse so you peace the hell out without getting in touch with her sponsor or anyone for her? You just let her sink further into a dark space? What a douche.

Agree with all you said. I had the biggest eye roll watching this episode. I knew some crisis would occur to  bring the family together but I wasn't sold on Nova's redemption. 

Again Nova's proven wrong and comes off as a very poor journalist. She tries to make up with Charley but she's been back long enough to know what her book did to Darla. 

Micah and Keke are first loves but they are not in it for the long haul. They want different things now and only came back together because of the crisis at the mill without discussing the real problems in their relationship. 

I hope the community really stick with Charley instead of coming together for one night. 

• Love 5

Frankly, it's exhausting watching Nova grovel for the forgiveness of a family full of Self Righteous Hypocrites.

Charley can keep her pathetic crocodile tears.

Hollywood remains TRASH.

Darla can also STFU with her overdramatic bottle clutching ass.

This show will never get me to feel sympathy for Ralph Angel. NEVER.

Continue to love Prosper & Micah.

9 hours ago, sereion said:

That's what bugged me about Nova, as a journalist, you would think she'd know that research and fact-finding plays an integral role in writing.

She wrote a whole book and did no research! At all! WTF? Did she research her news articles? How do you build a career as a journalist and do no research?

• Love 11
11 hours ago, sereion said:

That's what bugged me about Nova, as a journalist, you would think she'd know that research and fact-finding plays an integral role in writing. I wasn't ready for Charly to forgive her, but season almost over, so I guess they're tying loose ends.

Darla just can't catch a break; I was relieved she didn't take that drink from the bottle.

Nova is cocky and bullheaded as my mommy used to say .  She can only see her side and doesn't realize everybody isn't thinking what you're thinking. The family may forgive her, but she still has to reap what she has sown, interested to see what her conversation with Vi will be like, because Vi is still dealing with Jimmy Dale issues and Nova opened that wound.

Edited by byrd
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Boring filler episode.

Recognize that Darla friend is also an recovering addict. He is not responsible for her and he can't let Darla pull him down . His advice to call her sponsor was the best thing he could do for Darla at this time, he's not strong enough to take on her issues, he had to distance himself  because it was clear to him she was headed for a relapse and doesn't want to get the help she needs. Ain't nobody got time for that !

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I'm curious. If you know that "certain forces" are gunning for your family (especially their 800 acres of land!), is it the best idea to suggest in writing that your father killed a white man and buried him on that land? Wouldn't that invite all sorts of unwelcome attention?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

I'm curious. If you know that "certain forces" are gunning for your family (especially their 800 acres of land!), is it the best idea to suggest in writing that your father killed a white man and buried him on that land? Wouldn't that invite all sorts of unwelcome attention?

Nova is a idiot and a educated fool..

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, MyGiddyAunt said:

Miss Martha's revelation about Trudy's body -- I wonder where that is leading.

I loved Miss Martha, everything about her was so authentic. I revel in hearing stories from the elders of family history , so much wisdom and so much to learn.. just listen...knowledge is power and priceless. Nova should have done her homework,  if she had she would know that Miss Martha was still alive. If the historian found her, Nova could have as well. I am willing to bet you aunt Vi knew that Miss Martha was still around ,Nova never asked her.

24 minutes ago, MyGiddyAunt said:

Miss Martha's revelation about Trudy's body -- I wonder where that is leading.

Yes, I wonder why Earnest never told them he buried her on the farm. I wonder if Vi even knows it. There are so many secrets here, but as aunt Vi said, all " dark corners don't need light "

Edited by byrd
spelling error
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, byrd said:

Recognize that Darla friend is also an recovering addict. He is not responsible for her and he can't let Darla pull him down . His advice to call her sponsor was the best thing he could do for Darla at this time, he's not strong enough to take on her issues, he had to distance himself  because it was clear to him she was headed for a relapse and doesn't want to get the help she needs. Ain't nobody got time for that !

My issue is that he obviously knows that she was involved with Ralph Angel and they have a son together. If he felt like she was going to relapse, buddy couldn't find a way to contact RA to let him know what was going on? Just gonna walk away like that and let her figure it out? That doesn't sit well with me. I understand him needing to distance himself for his sobriety's sake but she has a pretty locally famous ex that he could have found a way to give the heads up to.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

My issue is that he obviously knows that she was involved with Ralph Angel and they have a son together. If he felt like she was going to relapse, buddy couldn't find a way to contact RA to let him know what was going on? Just gonna walk away like that and let her figure it out? That doesn't sit well with me. I understand him needing to distance himself for his sobriety's sake but she has a pretty locally famous ex that he could have found a way to give the heads up to.

Okay, but here's the thing, RA already knew how Darla was affected by the book, he also has concerns knowing how fragile she is. This is why he will take her calls even when he's in bed with another woman,  this is why he called to check , said he was worried about her. Darla's friend is not responsible for her . Darla can reach out herself , the same way she can reach out to RA, she can reach out to her sponsor but she refuses to do so..  It appears that she did reach out to someone , because the previews show her with Vi, who seems to be taking care of her. Tough love can seem heartless sometimes, but very much needed.  Darla has to learn to stand for Bleu if not for herself.

Edited by byrd
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

How do you build a career as a journalist and do no research?

Exactly! The only journalists I know that gets away with that are those who writes for the blogs and tabloids--and even they have some integrity, because they don't want any legal smoke.

2 hours ago, byrd said:

I do understand that he had to think about his own sobriety, but the way he did it was f'd up. He didn't have to ghost her; if the book was the issue, he of all people should have been empathic; even if he didn't want to get romantically involved, at least be friend from a distance-that's all she need. You can't kick a person when they're down.  At least he advised to call a sponsor.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, sereion said:

Exactly! The only journalists I know that gets away with that are those who writes for the blogs and tabloids--and even they have some integrity, because they don't want any legal smoke.

I do understand that he had to think about his own sobriety, but the way he did it was f'd up. He didn't have to ghost her; if the book was the issue, he of all people should have been empathic; even if he didn't want to get romantically involved, at least be friend from a distance-that's all she need. You can't kick a person when they're down.  At least he advised to call a sponsor.

The book wasn't  the issue, the effect of the book on Darla was his concern, this is why he told her to call her sponsor, he didn't care about her past . Clearly he could see she was headed for relapse. He didn't need to get directly involved , Darla kept saying no she wasn't calling the sponsor,  what else could he do, we don't know how fragile he was.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, byrd said:

Yes, I wonder why Earnest never told them he buried her on the farm. I wonder if Vi even knows it. There are so many secrets here, but as aunt Vi said, all " dark corners don't need light " 

That was confusing to me, too.  Miss Martha said he buried her there "for the family."  How can that be the case if he never told the family she was buried there? 

The actress that plays Nova has some awesome Michelle Obama arms!  Envy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, byrd said:

I loved Miss Martha, everything about her was so authentic. I revel in hearing stories from the elders of family history , so much wisdom and so much to learn.. just listen...knowledge is power and priceless. Nova should have done her homework,  if she had she would know that Miss Martha was still alive. If the historian found her, Nova could have as well. I am willing to bet you aunt Vi knew that Miss Martha was still around ,Nova never asked her.

Vi always protected her brother even when he did shady things. The farm was split between them when their parents died but she sold her part of the land to her brother so Jimmy Dale couldn't get it in the divorce. Knowing how dirty Jimmy Dale was he could've sold it back but didn't. There's also how Vi treated Charley's mother as an interloper between Trudy and Earnest where Charley's mother was completely innocent. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Vi always protected her brother even when he did shady things. The farm was split between them when their parents died but she sold her part of the land to her brother so Jimmy Dale couldn't get it in the divorce. Knowing how dirty Jimmy Dale was he could've sold it back but didn't. There's also how Vi treated Charley's mother as an interloper between Trudy and Earnest where Charley's mother was completely innocent. 

Interested to hear the explanation for this.. Prosper would know also., I am willing to bet Prosper also knew Miss Martha was still around as well .

• Love 3
10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

4 hours ago, byrd said:

1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

1 hour ago, byrd said:

Okay, but here's the thing, RA already knew how Darla was affected by the book, he also has concerns knowing how fragile she is. This is why he will take her calls even when he's in bed with another woman,  this is why he called to check , said he was worried about her. Darla's friend is not responsible for her . Darla can reach out herself , the same way she can reach out to RA, she can reach out to her sponsor but she refuses to do so..  It appears that she did reach out to someone , because the previews show her with Vi, who seems to be taking care of her. Tough love can seem heartless sometimes, but very much needed.  Darla has to learn to stand for Bleu if not for herself.

I agree with @byrd.  No one is responsible for Darla's sobriety but her.  It's like they say, you can't force anyone into rehab because it won't stick until they make the choice for themselves.  Darla is clearly struggling and despite suggestions to call her sponsor, she refuses to.  Maybe she doesn't want to open her wound further by having to discuss the details of her past and the feelings of having it blasted to the public with another person; but if there's one person to share stuff like that with, especially if it's a potential trigger, it's your sponsor.  

Charlie forgave Nova a little too quickly for my taste, but I can hold a grudge.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I agree with @byrd.  No one is responsible for Darla's sobriety but her.  It's like they say, you can't force anyone into rehab because it won't stick until they make the choice for themselves.  Darla is clearly struggling and despite suggestions to call her sponsor, she refuses to.  Maybe she doesn't want to open her wound further by having to discuss the details of her past and the feelings of having it blasted to the public with another person; but if there's one person to share stuff like that with, especially if it's a potential trigger, it's your sponsor.  

Charlie forgave Nova a little too quickly for my taste, but I can hold a grudge.  

Forgiving Nova is one thing,, reaping is another. Nova still has to meet aunt Vi...  I believe Darla  sponsor may already know about Darla past , she has spoken intimately with her concerning her addiction and her triggers. Darla just having a hard time dealing with the public knowledge of her past , I can understand it. Just like the child told Bleu about RA not being his real pops, someone will tell him about Darla past life that would devastate her.  Darla has to find a way to survive this darkness in her life and find the light again, she can do it , but she has to fight.

Edited by byrd
  • Love 3

Nova might have finally started to discover that long missing clue that she has been missing all this time, but it might be too little too late at this point. If she ever expects to be really forgiven, she really needs to do a hell of a lot more than cuddle with Charlie and write her a nice editorial. I knew that some big family tragedy would bring her back into the fold, but in the real world, its hard to see how her family could forgive her, at least so quickly.

This episode also continues to confirm that Nova is, in fact, a really shitty journalist. Did she do even the most basic research for this book? Yeah she can interview her aunts abusive ex but she cant talk to anyone else about her family, missing out on some pretty massive family information, and she has now let the whole world see her families secrets, except many of those secrets were actually half truths and speculation. But who has time for research, you have to dedicate a few extra chapters to what a bitch you think your sister is, and how your brother is a pussy for raising a child who isn't biologically his, Nova!

The follow up with Hollywood and Vi is interesting, and while I get why Vi is wary after seeing Jimmy Dale again, I dont think that Hollywood would ever be that kind of person. Hollywood mentioning how men struggle with talking to each other in ways that women dont, due to societal gender stereotypes being constantly enforced, was interesting and I would like to if that goes anywhere.

Poor Darla, I am just so relieved that she didn't take the drink. I was so worried that RA would get a call at the end of the community rally telling him that Darla had relapsed and died. 

The mill getting all fancied up and everyone coming together was sweet. Can I vote for Prosper?!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
On 8/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, sereion said:

I agree, it was his approch that was all wrong. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3

Not sure Dawn-Lyen Gardner plays drunk very well. Hope that's not going to be a continuing thing.

Looks like Nova and RA's auntie had done well for herself.

"Feels like the real thing"? Oh Keke, no. But please be very conscientious about your contraception.

I really liked Vi's halter dress.

That guy Darla had been dating said it wasn't about her past but I think on some level it was. "It's not me, it's you."

Meh, AFAIC Nova was the last person who should've been sent to rescue Charley. That's just one more thing for her to feel self-righteous about, IMO.

I wonder if part of the reason they brought Calvin back is that they're eventually going to write Rutina's pregnancy into the show?

And just like that, everything is all better Nova? Ugh.

• Love 3
On 8/14/2019 at 10:08 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Micah sending Nova after Charley 🙄

I was like, "Que?" So you know where your mom is, and you don't find her yourself?  I mean, if he didn't want to go alone, there were several other people to ask.  

I don't mind the reconciliation, but the execution was odd.  But I've complained a lot about how the book plot was written.  It's never made any sense to me.  It's like the writers suddenly had no idea what a journalist does.  And Nova has always been sketchy, but the book was a whole other level. 

On 8/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, izabella said:

That was confusing to me, too.  Miss Martha said he buried her there "for the family."  How can that be the case if he never told the family she was buried there? 

Question that needs an answer! That will probably never be provided. 

I've always rooted for Darla, but I think the last scene (before this episode) between her and the boyfriend was Darla being dismissive of him.  He'd already told her to call her sponsor, and she refused.  Frankly, if my boyfriend isn't answering my calls or texts, the last thing I'm gonna do is chase after him by showing up at his music rehearsal.  Sometimes, silence IS a response.  So I really didn't have a problem with him establishing boundaries because she refuses to get the help she needs.    

Besides, I thought the only reason she went to see him is because she was in her feelings about the "Joie's mom is Deeshia" reveal.  Speaking of, that was actually a conversation in which I thought she had a valid point.  There's no reason Ralph Angel couldn't have explained AFTER she met Deeshia that Joie was her daughter. That's not getting into their dating lives, and it's not unreasonable for Darla to be informed of such.    

About Micah sending Nova to get Charley IMO...

I think Micah may have been thinking on different levels. 

1. He was relieved his mother was in a public place ( presumably alive)  and not some remote location 

2. He knew the place was a bar and they wouldn't let me in

3.  He saw it as an opportunity for his heroine Aunt Nova to make amends and redeem herself by rescuing her recently estranged sister.  

I don't fully believe the siblings fully forgive Nova.  Seems there maybe a truce or cease fire due to the mill.  I think Charley was the least damaged (dont recall Micah being negatively written in the book) but RA is still going through stuff with Blue AND Darla.  Vi? I believe she STILL dont wsnt Nova's graveside flowers. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I was like, "Que?" So you know where your mom is, and you don't find her yourself?  I mean, if he didn't want to go alone, there were several other people to ask.  

13 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

About Micah sending Nova to get Charley IMO...
He knew the place was a bar and they wouldn't let him in

That's my thought too.

As to why he didn't ask anyone else, remember that Nova is the Shining Star to him (he takes her name literally).  Even after her ****ing all over her family, he still thinks she's the hero in the story.

• Love 3
On 8/19/2019 at 12:13 AM, Kirkydee said:

2. He knew the place was a bar and they wouldn't let me in

I'm not sure he knew it was a bar.  When he tracked her location, he said she was near a convention center.  And he said so in front of Vi, Prosper, and Prosper's lady friend (Genevieve?), all who could have gone. 

For me, it would have been nice to see Micah make the effort if he was so worried about her. He hadn't even thought to track her location before Prosper mentioned it. I guess he is a true teenager, heh. 

Still, I could see the "Aunt Nova is my personal hero and she can save Charley" angle.  After all, the show was pushing the "Nova is a healer" declaration HARD in this episode. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I'm not sure he knew it was a bar.  When he tracked her location, he said she was near a convention center.  And he said so in front of Vi, Prosper, and Prosper's lady friend (Genevieve?), all who could have gone. 

It looked like a hotel bar to me and I doubt he would have been told he couldn't enter it at all and esp if he explained the reason why he was there. He sent Nova cause Micah has a blind spot for her regardless of how Nova betrayed & hurt his own mother let alone the rest of the family. Micah could have even asked Ralph Angel to see about Charley but I guess he wanted RA around so RA could talk to him about likely having sex with Kiki. 

46 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Still, I could see the "Aunt Nova is my personal hero and she can save Charley" angle.  After all, the show was pushing the "Nova is a healer" declaration HARD in this episode. 

I appreciate that most of what I've seen on the official Instagram account is people not buying how easily Nova seems to have been forgiven for her shoddy research and exploitation of her family despite the show leaning hard on that "the truth heals even if it hurts" angle.

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Pushing hard in making my eyes roll of its sockets. 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2