Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Was watching a shark rerun this morning with Matt, Jeff (yes), the 2 redheaded Aussie twins, and Alex.  It was good, hadn't seen it

They ran all of the shark related episodes today to get everyone ready for Shark Week.  While I was working down the garage, I got to see Laura's first one, the one above, the other shark XL with Steven, Eva, Ryan, Chris and Ky.   Also Max's fan challenge.  I didn't realize what a jerk he was in that first one.

17 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Discovery’s having a Naked and Afraid marathon today.  There will be a new episode next week!

Afraid I'd accidentally tune into an episode of Jeff screaming "This is what I LIVE FOR" . . . 

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Discovery’s having a Naked and Afraid marathon today.  There will be a new episode next week!

I swear, they have marathons every other week.  But it's cool; I got to see Dani Julien.  I liked her and thought she got a raw deal on the first XL.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, madmax said:

I swear, they have marathons every other week.  But it's cool; I got to see Dani Julien.  I liked her and thought she got a raw deal on the first XL.

Yeah, pretty much.  There’s another one next Sunday.  I saw the episode with Dani J. and yeah, she got a raw deal.  I’d like to see her come back.  Later on they showed one of the 14 day challenges.   The guy was pretty good but the woman was almost useless.  They both made it the 14 days.  They also showed the one with Ryan and Amber (from the last XL) - they showed him shaving off his long beard beforehand so he went through the challenge with a short beard.  He looks better that way IMO.  

• Love 1

I'm amused that I see so many of the same people on the boards for each of the shows I watch. Need a watch party! 

Some of these shows would do me in if there wasn't a forum from which to vent! 😍

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 7/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I saw some of the eps.  Happened to catch one that was a special.  It had the Aussie twins, and i think it was Matt, don't remember. Also the little dude (can't remember names dammit)(i remember he kicked ass finishing alone) And then Jeff. The guy is freaking everywhere.  This had to be early because his hair was long, wild and curly.  Just like i like on guys.  Dammit Jeff.  But even back then he was screaming after a catch.  Oy vey heehee.  At least he's consistent 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Fernando was one heck of a Great partner to have so much patience with that flake Dani who sat around weaving baskets and claimed it was oh so important to do so to keep their non existent food off the ground. She was there acting as if she was at crafts camp. I am glad she FINALLY stepped up A LITTLE BIT, and tossed a bit of her energy into helping towards HIS survival efforts for the both of them.

That Fernando is a rarity among men. Such kindness and patience puts him in the league with Joe, whos partner was the unforgettable Sam.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

Fernando was one heck of a Great partner to have so much patience with that flake Dani who sat around weaving baskets and claimed it was oh so important to do so to keep their non existent food off the ground. She was there acting as if she was at crafts camp. I am glad she FINALLY stepped up A LITTLE BIT, and tossed a bit of her energy into helping towards HIS survival efforts for the both of them.

That Fernando is a rarity among men. Such kindness and patience puts him in the league with Joe, whos partner was the unforgettable Sam.

I wasn’t that impressed with Dani on her prior challenges and all I can say about last night’s is the both of them pretty much got along to make it to the 21 days at least to not cause a lot of drama for the episode.  A lot of the episodes they showed through the day had people tapping out after a day or two which makes me wonder how well production vets these people.  The one they showed right before was a re-teaming of Trent and Sarah, they chose to tap due to the crazy weather.  If a lightning strike came that close to me I’d be out of there too.  IMO they were a great pair, I wish they had better circumstances to make the 21 days.  

• Love 1

Fernando, who I've always liked, is a saint.  I'd have told Dani to shove her wood drying rack and get up off her lazy ass and get some wood.  Don't build something for ME to haul wood, do it yourself.

What good were the baskets, other than to occupy her time?  No need to weave baskets for gathering, you have a bag!!!

I  love how he threw her fish catching basket on the shore and just went in there caveman style, although I sure wouldn't.  She was all impressed, thought he used it, just wait until she watches the edited version.  😄

I did like how Fernando said (paraphrasing) "I'm married, if she wants a wood drying rack, I'm building a wood drying rack."

• Love 6

I just saw an episode with Steven and Laura I have not seen before. Freezing to death naked in Alaska, ugh. 

Was it new? New to me, anyway. And for some reason it was only for two weeks. And they cheated. They were given pelts so they didn't even bother building a shelter. There was nothing really to watch.

At least she wasn't the jerk she was with Jeff.

Edited by Chewy101
58 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

I just saw an episode with Stephen and Laura I have not seen before. Freezing to death Naked in Alaska, ugh. 

Was it new? New to me, anyway.

No, it was first aired a while back. 

5 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

I just saw an episode with Stephen and Laura I have not seen before. Freezing to death Naked in Alaska, ugh. 

Was it new? New to me, anyway.

We watched it for the first time last night as well.  Two contestants who were likeable in Alaska, but were not liked when they were paired (separately) with Jeff and took on some of his less-than-admirable qualities.

• Love 3
On 8/9/2021 at 9:03 AM, AZChristian said:

We watched it for the first time last night as well.  Two contestants who were likeable in Alaska, but were not liked when they were paired (separately) with Jeff and took on some of his less-than-admirable qualities.

I was amused at how Steven repeated everything Laura said and was so pleasant. I guess he wasn't just that way to Jeff, only Jeff made it worse. Laura was in complete control of the team and Steven seemed ok with the dynamic of second -in- command.

I used to love Laura, but not after XL.. In fact I was filled with dread seeing her here on my screen again. Makes sense that it was a repeat I was watching. And these days I hope she never comes back. I get that an experience like this changes you, but it isn't always for the better, eh.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I said nearly the same thing to Mr. Max when we re-watched this one.  So what does that tell you...

As to the new episode, not bad, not a lot of drama.  Although Darwin (not his name, but I don't remember and Darwin is a pretty good replacement) was really dumb for wandering so far on his own without water.  Reminded me of Seth.

Lindsey was pretty bad ass, other than seemingly breaking into tears ever other segment.  I loved how she caught that fish barehanded.

Anyone notice the guy with the rifle?  He was in the scene where Darwin was by the river, just in the background.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

I just saw an episode with Steven and Laura I have not seen before. Freezing to death naked in Alaska, ugh. 

Was it new? New to me, anyway. And for some reason it was only for two weeks. And they cheated. They were given pelts so they didn't even bother building a shelter. There was nothing really to watch.

At least she wasn't the jerk she was with Jeff.

No it was a repeat.  A good one though.  I've always liked both of them but didn't recog her at first when she did the I-think 40.  Even though that was the ep the brought on the not so nice feelings about Jeff.  Then he went to DS and we got a whole season of That's What I Live For!!!!  Hehehe.  Although i do admit the shit they had him doing was 100x harder than N&A.

5 minutes into  season 13 episode 14, and already can’t stand Darvil, the Mormon douche canoe who doesn’t think god intended for people to be naked and would rather not have a partner. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rlc said:

5 minutes into  season 13 episode 14, and already can’t stand Darvil, the Mormon douche canoe who doesn’t think god intended for people to be naked and would rather not have a partner. 

The show has been on long enough that these types should know they’re going to be paired with someone.  I groaned when I heard that too.  Lindsay (or whatever her name was) seemed ok and wanted to work with him.  She’s right, he shouldn’t be going out alone, in that environment something bad might happen that the guy in the background with the gun can’t do anything about 😆

Has anyone seen the commercials for “Naked and Afraid… of Love”?   It looks like a bad joke IMO.  Maybe it’ll make it’s way from Discovery+ to regular Discovery someday.  That’s the only way I’d see it. Then maybe not.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, rlc said:

I have to disagree.  He was a great and caring partner.  I really liked both of them.  Loved his refusing to wear the shoes, if his partner didn't.    He was quite willing to include her in stuff, and not just brush her concerns off.  He said his wife has the same problem with his not knowing where the time goes.....

Edited by Pine
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

The show has been on long enough that these types should know they’re going to be paired with someone.  I groaned when I heard that too.  Lindsay (or whatever her name was) seemed ok and wanted to work with him.  She’s right, he shouldn’t be going out alone, in that environment something bad might happen that the guy in the background with the gun can’t do anything about 😆

Has anyone seen the commercials for “Naked and Afraid… of Love”?   It looks like a bad joke IMO.  Maybe it’ll make it’s way from Discovery+ to regular Discovery someday.  That’s the only way I’d see it. Then maybe not.  

Omg I groaned so loud.  That is sooooo stupid.  There's going to be no difference between shows except there's touching LOL haha.  My questions are 1. Are the teams actual already established couples?  Or is this the first time mtg each other. 2. What if theres zero attraction between teammates?  They just do the survive part til extraction?  Weird.  Ill prob watch a couple eps.  Just to see how it will go.  You know...for science hahah

• Love 2

@ForumLou

Here’s my guesses for what it’s worth - they won’t know each other beforehand and I’m sure there will be a mix of couples where they’ll like each other then there will be the types where they can’t stand each other.  The show needs some conflict, lol.  The people I saw in the commercial don’t look like the survival expert type, more like the types that think they’ll go on a reality show to meet someone which to me looks like something that I’d avoid like the plague.  I’ll stick to regular Naked and Afraid.  

3 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Has anyone seen the commercials for “Naked and Afraid… of Love”?   It looks like a bad joke IMO.  Maybe it’ll make it’s way from Discovery+ to regular Discovery someday.  That’s the only way I’d see it. Then maybe not.  

That can just stay on Discovery+.  What a joke.

2 hours ago, Pine said:

I have to disagree.  He was a great and caring partner.  I really liked both of them.  Loved his refusing to wear the shoes, if his partner didn't.    He was quite willing to include her in stuff, and not just brush her concerns off.  He said his wife has the same problem with his not knowing where the time goes.....

He didn't become a great and caring partner until she called him out on it.  Which I guess I can understand, because if his wife just let him do what he wants, he's not going to think anything of doing what he wants without checking in with his partner.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, madmax said:

He didn't become a great and caring partner until she called him out on it.  Which I guess I can understand, because if his wife just let him do what he wants, he's not going to think anything of doing what he wants without checking in with his partner.

Yes!  I was irritated with Darvil at first, thinking he was going to be one of "those" contestants who is a know it all, not listening to their partner.  Surprisingly Darvil got over himself and became a much better partner.   Lindsey spoke up and was great at providing food.  They ended up being a great team with really high PSRs. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2021 at 12:44 PM, Pine said:

I thought the two partners came around to being a great team. He drove me crazy, but he realized he was being selfish and they became more aware of being a part of a team. His wife should thank his partner if he takes that lesson home with him. 

• Love 4

Poor Aosha, he thought having two partners would make it easier, but it made it even harder.  Good on him for sticking it out and good on the producers for putting that octopus in the tidal pool!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, madmax said:

. . . good on the producers for putting that octopus in the tidal pool!

Could that have been any more obvious?  I've never seen video of an octopus that was just lying still in the water.  Their tentacles are always in motion, especially around a big rock, as they are looking - with all 8 legs - for food.  Unless they're dead.  

ETA:  And we laughed about how they also gave him a recipe for how to cook octopus.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 3
On 8/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, Chewy101 said:

I thought the two partners came around to being a great team. He drove me crazy, but he realized he was being selfish and they became more aware of being a part of a team. His wife should thank his partner if he takes that lesson home with him. 

Yeah i liked them too.  Good temperament on him.  I want to know his secret lol.  One thing about the shoes...instead of taking them off, why didn't he make her some?  They had time before extraction. 

1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Yeah i liked them too.  Good temperament on him.  I want to know his secret lol.  One thing about the shoes...instead of taking them off, why didn't he make her some?  They had time before extraction. 

She did have shoes, but she didn't like them.  The hide dried too hard or something.  I think he helped her make them, but she did most of it herself.

On 8/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, madmax said:

I said nearly the same thing to Mr. Max when we re-watched this one.  So what does that tell you...

As to the new episode, not bad, not a lot of drama.  Although Darwin (not his name, but I don't remember and Darwin is a pretty good replacement) was really dumb for wandering so far on his own without water.  Reminded me of Seth.

Lindsey was pretty bad ass, other than seemingly breaking into tears ever other segment.  I loved how she caught that fish barehanded.

Anyone notice the guy with the rifle?  He was in the scene where Darwin was by the river, just in the background.  

I did hehehe.  He was so in the dark it gave him a ghostly appearance.  Thought it was a specter!

On 8/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, riverblue22 said:

Naked and Afraid of Love looks so lame.

I didn't see anything but the previews during the last episode and yeah, nothing I would ever want to watch.  I did notice that at least one of the guys from the normal N&A is on it.  Can't remember his name, but he was in an episode they ran on Sunday, with another guy (who was very sensitive) and a female.

So this episode...if Jessica talked about Colombia one more time...

I did like it tho, and was damn glad there were subtitles for a lot of it.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, madmax said:

I did like it tho, and was damn glad there were subtitles for a lot of it.

I'm American but my father grew up in Scotland, about 30 miles from where Jamie's social media gives as his current hometown, and I'm always torn in moments like this between 'I've heard way worse" and "I've been hearing this accent my whole life and sometimes it still give me trouble so I don't blame other people for not being used to it."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, djlynch said:

I'm American but my father grew up in Scotland, about 30 miles from where Jamie's social media gives as his current hometown, and I'm always torn in moments like this between 'I've heard way worse" and "I've been hearing this accent my whole life and sometimes it still give me trouble so I don't blame other people for not being used to it."

L💞ve Scotland.  Have never been, but might be in my future.  Looking into family ancestors.  Its really pretty interesting.  Like a mystery,. Anyway i think we may have come from there.  I dont have details yet though 

• Love 2

This first Naked and Afraid Love thing is a bust for me.  Shelters already built, camps located underneath banana and coconut trees an able to bring surfboards and guitars make me think they are abandoned on a Club Med Rustica.  

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, azprimadonna said:

This first Naked and Afraid Love thing is a bust for me.  Shelters already built, camps located underneath banana and coconut trees an able to bring surfboards and guitars make me think they are abandoned on a Club Med Rustica.  

I watched it with one eye and the sound off, hoping a real episode would appear.

It looked dreadful.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I watched it with one eye and the sound off, hoping a real episode would appear.

It looked dreadful.

They tried to sneak it in as the second hour of a new episode.  I didn't make it past the introduction.  I have standards.  They're low, but I have them.  This was too tacky even for me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The new episode didn't do much for me.  I don't understand how they both got so emotional over a turtle.  Did they actually watch Naked and Afraid before appearing or were they watching Naked and Afraid of Love?

Which is a pitiful excuse for a TV show.  Even the commercials are obnoxious.  Wouldn't watch that one if Discovery paid me.

• Love 1

Scott (?) on the fan edition did much better than I expected.  The young woman was disappointing--I don't know why so many say it was so much worse than they expected--do they even watch the show?  Before the show she learned how to start a fire on her deck, but maybe she could have spent some time toughening up her feet for the inevitable tough environment.

• Love 2

Agree about toughening up her feet. I haven’t watched this show a lot lately, but I thought it odd that on two successive shows set in South Africa, the woman tapped out way early, apparently from the effects of drinking water, while the guys were OK with it. Or maybe there was another cause of the stomach problems?

On 8/30/2021 at 1:24 AM, azprimadonna said:

Discovery did themselves a disservice by trying to tie it in too closely to Naked and Afraid, unless more of the N&A audience than I realize is watching it for the nudity aspect and not the survival aspect. The hardcore survival part isn't sexy even if the people are, so they watered it down, but "let's use these palm fronds that just happen to be next to the pre-made frame for a shelter as our roof" isn't survival.

I've seen clips of the foreign versions (which have names that translate more or less into "Adam Seeks Eve"), and those are all set on similar tropical beaches without a lot of creature comforts but with no survival aspect at all, and I think they tried to find somewhere in between that and regular Naked and Afraid and it doesn't work.

Edited by djlynch
  • Love 1
On 9/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, djlynch said:

Discovery did themselves a disservice by trying to tie it in too closely to Naked and Afraid, unless more of the N&A audience than I realize is watching it for the nudity aspect and not the survival aspect. The hardcore survival part isn't sexy even if the people are, so they watered it down, but "let's use these palm fronds that just happen to be next to the pre-made frame for a shelter as our roof" isn't survival.

I've seen clips of the foreign versions (which have names that translate more or less into "Adam Seeks Eve"), and those are all set on similar tropical beaches without a lot of creature comforts but with no survival aspect at all, and I think they tried to find somewhere in between that and regular Naked and Afraid and it doesn't work.

DISCOVERY!  I am BEGGING you to let 'Naked and Afraid Love' DIE  --I can't even say "die a natural death!" -- as there is NOTHING natural' about this fershlugginer (great old Nu Yawk expression for "junky & foolish") show.  😭  (And THEN you further degrade the experience by taking N&A fan favorite JAKE to hype the show.  I forgive you, Jake!  It's always a delight to see you & hear your quips...no matter WHAT the circumstances.  😉 But PLEASE - Step away from this new 'N&A Love series!! It's "The Bachelor" LITE!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm finding it cringe-worthy laughable.  I don't watch Naked and Afraid so the premise doesn't annoy me that much.  I just love to laugh at how stupid the surfer guy was - he wanted surf and a woman who takes care of him like his mother.  Seriously bro?  

I'm definitely running out of stuff to watch.

• LOL 1

Mommas boy surfer dude, is mostly concerned with making sure his hair is continuously in that whacked out, crooked mass of insane bends and angles. He never stops flinging his head around, in well practiced movements in a particular order, to achieve that exact hairstyle he is wearing. He thinks it looks good like that.

What's really pissing me off is that my DVR keeps taping these stupid Love "sneak peeks" because they're listed as new Naked & Afraid episodes.  Oh, and how can it be a "sneak peek" when you're showing whole friggin episodes?

Onto the actual episode:

They seemed like a great team, but she should have let him build the awning.  Or he should have just done it without her permission.  They probably wouldn't have had to tap.  At least they went out together.

And what is with all these fan episodes lately?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, madmax said:

They seemed like a great team, but she should have let him build the awning.  Or he should have just done it without her permission.  They probably wouldn't have had to tap.  At least they went out together.

And what is with all these fan episodes lately?

I am sure that some of the bomas we have seen on previous shows had some sort of protection against the rain.  It's not an insurmountable problem.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 2