Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: My Perfect Paradise

Christina has a new man and a new house, but she's got her work cut out for her with a newly blended family to entertain. After taking on an ambitious backyard remodel, Christina and Ant find they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

• LOL 1

About 5 minutes in, she's walking her backyard, inspecting the pool remodel, wearing painted-on leggings with a top that ends about 1.5 inches below her belly button. 

Maybe I am having a pity party, but it is hard to watch them make $12,000+ decisions, when my decisions are over a store brand or national brand at the grocery store.

• Love 11
(edited)

Unless there was something mechanical, or structural wrong with the pool, another example of a vanity project by entitled jerks.         $200k is a great start on college funds for the kids, or something else useful, spending it to make the pool look fancier was ludicrous.    Or pay down the mortgage, and save a lot of interest.     They simply spend like there is no tomorrow, and someday they may regret it.  

Taking down a pool fence is stupid.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 15
(edited)

Not sure who the audience for this show is. (It’s not me, but then HagTV isn’t my background default channel anymore either.) Ha! Autocorrect had its way with HGTV, didn’t it?

(Or maybe I hit the a key next to the cap key;-)

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, edie3 said:

Maybe I am having a pity party, but it is hard to watch them make $12,000+ decisions, when my decisions are over a store brand or national brand at the grocery store.

I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the cost. When Christina was discussing it with Ant he looked like he was about to cry. I doubt he can afford any of that sh!t.

• Love 4

Do they get comped for a lot of the pool expense? I haven't watched the episode yet, but is some pool company featured? I seriously doubt Christina has to fork out full price for anything. 

• Love 1

Ridiculous. All that money to remodel what appeared to be a perfectly nice pool. One that had a fence around it btw which the new "family-friendly" pool didn't have. I guess a safety fence doesn't have enough character. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Do they get comped for a lot of the pool expense? I haven't watched the episode yet, but is some pool company featured? I seriously doubt Christina has to fork out full price for anything. 

The designer of the pool, spa, and associated structures was named, but I don't recall any mention of actual contractors.

It was a joke when Christina "found" leftover tile from the bathroom remodel that they could use on the front of the outdoor bar and claimed it "saved" them something like $2800. No way.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the cost. When Christina was discussing it with Ant he looked like he was about to cry. I doubt he can afford any of that sh!t.

Ant does truly look like the spending makes him uncomfortable.  He's also from the UK, where the cost of living is generally high for many.  California's expensive, but the entire U.S. doesn't live like that.  He's also got two children with his ex-wife.  I don't know anything about how the UK handles divorces, but he's got to have serious expenses for the kids, particularly since they spend time in both the UK and U.S.

I'm sure that Christina does get some sort of break on the price, but she's gotta be footing the bill for most of this.  Ant probably kicks in some, but he's got the serious financial obligations mentioned above.

Christina better hope that she continues to get along with Tarek so they can flip houses together.  That's what's funding this.  Even the publicity that she gets is going to change.  The divorce got a lot of coverage, but now that's settled..  Long-term, I don't think that she and Ant are going to create the $60 million franchise that she created with Tarek.

She may not be married to him anymore, but, at the rate she's spending, she's certainly going to need him.

16 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

Two. Hundred. Thousand. for the pool. What the actual F. 

The tree house was just waaay ridiculous.  I'm glad that it was cut.

• Love 5

I thought the whole backyard looked way overdone. Just so busy looking back there. I was not a fan of the black and white bar tile. Think that will look dated fast. 

I've never really watched her other show. I just saw the ads for this one and was curious about her new guy and new house. Her voice. Yikes. That would be hard to live with and does she only ever wear skin tight leggings? The hair bugs me too. Lol. Don't think I will be watching anymore. Wonder if she will last with Ant? She almost seems like too much for him.

• Love 5
(edited)

Pool demo is enormously expensive. The cost to demolish, haul away and dump the materials is high and there were also the remains of yet another pool they found. $200,000 is crazy but that also would include landscape, irrigation, grading, wood structures, drainage, lights, permits, etc.

Edited by Kenzie
  • Love 2
(edited)
59 minutes ago, sistersledge said:

I thought it looked terrible.

I thought the pool shape was very unimaginative. I'm a Landscape Architect and  I often design pools. I have NEVER had anyone ask for "a crisp modern farmhouse shade of blue water."  Say what?

Edited by Kenzie
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, buttersister said:

Wondering how bitter Tarik might be. Bitter enough to shut down her cash show? That pool deal sounds like it made her look foolish. Tick. Tock.

Tarek can't be too bitter since he and Christina are doing a new season of Flip or  Flop together.

• Love 3

Actually I liked the backyard, however I believe the Ant’s cabana design is a child hazard accident waiting to happen.  That pointed edge sticking out towards the pool “floating” above the grass is dangerous.  Imagine a yard full of toddlers charging around - someone is going to get hurt.  Suggest rounding it out - put a curve out  perhaps matching the pool, it could give the cabana a cloud like vibe.  

• Love 2

So has this show just given up the pretense that Christina has a "design" business now? Are they just going to show her doing her own home remodel projects? I guess she's hard-pressed to find "clients" for her "design" "skills."

Why on earth would you want a bed in your back yard? Think of the bugs that will make their homes in that thing.

$200K on a pool remodel doesn't sound like something you'll get your money back in a resale.

• Love 7

I haven't seen the episode yet, but am curious. If they choked over having to spend $100K on repairs/renovations to the house, (which was a deal-breaker) why are they willing to spend $200K redoing the pool and backyard? Doesn't make any sense. 

• Love 3

I haven't seen the episode yet, but am curious. If they choked over having to spend $100K on repairs/renovations to the house, (which was a deal-breaker) why are they willing to spend $200K redoing the pool and backyard? Doesn't make any sense. 

Good point. It's all pretty fake. I still don't understand why the whole format and premise of the show changed from a half-hour remodel show to an hour-long vanity piece for Christina. 

It really seems like HGTV just decided to cash in on Tarek and Christina's notoriety after they hit all the magazine covers with their divorce. Now he's getting his own show too. How much longer are people really going to be interested in these two? There really doesn't seem to be any point to this show except "let's watch Christina . . . do stuff." Is she really all that fascinating? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

doesn't seem to be any point to this show except "let's watch Christina . . . do stuff." Is she really all that fascinating? 

No, she's not. But then, neither are the Kardashians.

I find it amusing that in the latest HGTV ads touting the upcoming Flip or Flop season Tarek is introduced and then Christina, with her new husband standing by her looking almost sheepish. I can see it now... at the beginning of each show Ant will drive up in some fancy car to drop Christina off at the flip house. They will smooch. Christina will join Tarek with a smug grin on her face. No doubt Ant will receive an appearance fee, which he can use to pay down some of the outrageous mortgage he's now stuck with.

Argh!!! The snark almost writes itself. 😎

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Good God, how can anyone watch this show? Christina was awful on the other show with her then husband, and she's even more annoying now. Whiny nasally voice, boob job, yuk.

• Love 6

The pool was really nice. I wasn’t a fan of the first design with the treehouse, what they ended up with was much nicer. Pools are very expensive, I actually didn’t think $200k was that bad considering what they got. A pretty basic inground pool in my area is around $60k. I recently put in a “fancy” above ground pool and the cost was $20k just for the pool install plus now I have the landscaping part which I am doing myself so that will save a few $.

I would love to have a backyard like Christina’s but I live in a climate with winter so you couldn’t use it much of the year.

• Love 1